X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
    Of course art is subject. So it music. Films. Books. Etc
    I wasn’t suggest people are aligned in the opinions of which art is good. I’m referring to people now defining art in terms revolves around conceptual ideas and personal effort.

As I mentioned, people for along time have been critical of contemporary art. Especially pieces that were technically simple - “anyone could do that”. For me that always missed the notion just because anyone could, they didn’t. That should still apply to the world if AI.

All of those wonderings choice just as easily apply to AI art work. The concept comes from a human idea, there could have been dozens of variations and edits to get to the artwork the creators feels represents their idea.

If could be completely empty and meaningless. But so too could paint of canvas.
    They really dont .

Comment

lolspurs
      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Might of lolled too soon
        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

lollerpool

Comment

lolspurs

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
              So our own Satnav is officially a Grandmother and while the title thread is quite apt maybe we can find something more.....
              And so in love..
              Meet 5 day old Alfie

IMG_5228.jpeg
              Her sky-ness
              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                I have a very solid new restaurant recommendation; La Gordita. Opposite the Jackpot on Montague St, it's very good Spanish fare with excellent service (lots of fun with the dude who talks you through the menu). We sat up at the bar and had Morcilla (Spanish black pudding), cured tuna, sourdough with roasted garlic, salted almonds, olives, a salt cod tortilla that was superb, octopus and a vegetarian rice dish. All excellent and very flavoursome. I drank a lot to celebrate the Leinster win and the wine/sherry selection was great. Nice, relaxed atmosphere. Will definitely go again.
                Fantastic news, spotted it and booked it for a few weeks time.
                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                  Ramen Bar on South William Street for lunch, class
                  Thought it went downhill the last time I've been. Nomo is the trendy one at the moment but you should try Day and Night, up by Barry's hotel
                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    I have a very solid new restaurant recommendation; La Gordita. Opposite the Jackpot on Montague St, it's very good Spanish fare with excellent service (lots of fun with the dude who talks you through the menu). We sat up at the bar and had Morcilla (Spanish black pudding), cured tuna, sourdough with roasted garlic, salted almonds, olives, a salt cod tortilla that was superb, octopus and a vegetarian rice dish. All excellent and very flavoursome. I drank a lot to celebrate the Leinster win and the wine/sherry selection was great. Nice, relaxed atmosphere. Will definitely go again.
                    It's owned by the same people that own Las Tapas de Lola and one of the guys from The Corkscrew worked on their wine list for them. I haven't been in yet but every review I've read is good and I'd expect nothing less from them having eaten in Las Tapas a good few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

They really dont .
                      You’re really not in a position to decide that on artworks that you are yet to be created. We simply don’t know how it will be used. I can definitely see multiple scenarios where creative artists utilise AI as a tool in the creation of other artwork. Thinking that random guys in the basement will now be the equal of every artist seems narrow minded to me.

It’s hardly the first time that new technology has made the creation of art easier. Digitial art, mass production, printing etc. I’m sure similar discussions took place in the past. The one that comes to mind it screenprinting. When it’s used to copy an existing image over and over.
                      Shot_Marilyns.jpg

Warhol didn’t create the image. It was a promotional shot from a movie. (If he did that today he’d be sued for copyright infringement). Everything was stencilled colours and outlines, he produced dozens of these printed images. Does the fact the image is not his creation undermine it’s status as real art? The world doesn’t think so. The orange and blue versions sold for close to $200m each, some if the most valuable pieces ever.
                      Anyone could produce the above, at potentially greater effort than Warhol. yet their versions would be worthless, because art is more than the finished artwork. Art is also more than the process used to make it.
                      Last edited by Mellor; 01-05-23, 08:14.

Comment

Just to add to that point, not only were those prints not man-made, Andy Warhol had a team of assistants doing the work for him, so he generally wouldn't have even touched the finished artwork, it was just his idea.

Comment

Has anyone seen the Duelists? I really enjoyed it (I give it a light 4.5 stars).

It's ridley scotts first film, it reminds me a little of Steven Spielbergs first film, the duel, they are both very simple films with a simple premise, but shot beautifully, with great action. The sword fighting in the duelists is great, and it's always a pleasure watching Harvey Keitel at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                            Has anyone seen the Duelists? I really enjoyed it (I give it a light 4.5 stars).

It's ridley scotts first film, it reminds me a little of Steven Spielbergs first film, the duel, they are both very simple films with a simple premise, but shot beautifully, with great action. The sword fighting in the duelists is great, and it's always a pleasure watching Harvey Keitel at work.
                            in a house we were living in when i was a teenager, I had 2 VHS films at one point. that one and the warriors. used to alternate watching them. loved them both

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

You’re really not in a position to decide that on artworks that you are yet to be created. We simply don’t know how it will be used. I can definitely see multiple scenarios where creative artists utilise AI as a tool in the creation of other artwork. Thinking that random guys in the basement will now be the equal of every artist seems narrow minded to me.

It’s hardly the first time that new technology has made the creation of art easier. Digitial art, mass production, printing etc. I’m sure similar discussions took place in the past. The one that comes to mind it screenprinting. When it’s used to copy an existing image over and over.
                              Shot_Marilyns.jpg

Warhol didn’t crest the image. It was a promotional shot from a movie. (If he did that today he’d be sued for copyright infringement). Everything was stencilled colours and outlines, he produced dozens of these printed images. Does the fact the image is not his creation undermine it’s status as real art? The world doesn’t think so. The orgs fe abd blue versions sold for close to $200m each.
                              Anyone could produce the above, at potentially greater effort than Warhol. yet their versions would be worthless, because art is more than the finished artwork. Art is also more than the process used to make it.
                              I'm in a positive to perceive whatever the hell i like and how I like it . No amount of facsimile or rapidly produced version or process can replace how i percieve art.. The best thing about art is your own appreciation of the 'whole ' rather than what you are told. If one factor of it does not appeal to you .You wont like it . I can appreciate Warhol but i dont have to connect with it . Which i dont anyway for the record . AI can produce what it likes but i am always in a position to reject/accept the 'whole' . Deception or a fake story can effect that but then my understanding is also fake. Ye don't get it. Thats fine . Seem clear to me. There is a difference between appreciation and connection. Love over lust.

Comment

Comment

Do it with style 1.20 curragh

Comment

I'm in a positive to perceive whatever the hell i like and how I like it . No amount of facsimile or rapidly produced version or process can replace how i percieve art.. The best thing about art is your own appreciation of the 'whole ' rather than what you are told. If one factor of it does not appeal to you .You wont like it . I can appreciate Warhol but i dont have to connect with it . Which i dont anyway for the record . AI can produce what it likes but i am always in a position to reject/accept the 'whole' . Deception or a fake story can effect that but then my understanding is also fake. Ye don't get it. Thats fine . Seem clear to me. There is a difference between appreciation and connection. Love over lust.
                                    You’re kinda missing my point with the Warhol example. You might not connect with it (nor do I FWIW). But I would assume that you still recognise it as Art, even if the genre is not for you. Originally it was criticised as low brow, lacked substance, mass produced etc.
                                    That’s similar to the AI argument now. People arent just saying it’s shallow art lacking human emotion. They’re saying it’s not even art.

You’re absolutely free to perceive art however you like. If you deciding you don’t connect, then that’s your opinion and I don’t think anything I said that opposes that. I’m simply pointing you can’t perceive any art that has not been created yet. That’s a fact of perception rather than opinion on art. You may not be able to imagine a situation where you would ever connect with an AI artwork - but that does not mean an artist cannot imagine such an artwork in future. It’s a tool not a shortcut imo.

Comment

Aussie comedy Colin From Accounts is excellent. The title is very off-putting, sounds like a bland office-based sitcom, whereas it's actually the name of a dog.

Comment

Im talking about now not the future . The future doesnt need my opinion but it might need my purchase. Mass produced medium no matter what it is loses value. Anyhoo you chose to assume i dont get your point . I do, you dont get mine . Not really imo. Now hope this tech works rapidly on the cures we need . I'll buy those .

Comment

Ok a question . If in the future a Westworld like woman existed and some men the world over swapped them as partners declaring undying love .Would you consider this love real ? To YOU .

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                            Aussie comedy Colin From Accounts is excellent. The title is very off-putting, sounds like a bland office-based sitcom, whereas it's actually the name of a dog.
                                            2 EPs in . Funny so far in a Bridesmaids sort of way

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                              Speaking of down under, i see the Scottish judge of Masterchef Jock passed away yesterday, new series was due to start today, poor fucker was only 46.
                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                Do it with style 1.20 curragh
                                                One could say...a winning streak !
                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

While the art conversation is interesting I think it is currently a sideshow from what should be the main focus of attention.

AI is currently burrowing its way slowly into all areas and quietly reshaping the whole labor market. I am listening to this week's All In podcast where they are talking already about companies they know who are currently in the process of cutting 30% of their workforce due to replacing them with AI, Startups instead of needing 5-10 people and millions in funding can be done with one or two people and next to nothing in funding, they are saying the quality of outsourced work has gone through the roof since they started using GPT and is 1/10 of the cost.

They talked about how everyone should be at least 30% more productive by using AI. That is 30% fewer jobs and do you think that increase in productivity will mean an increase in wages?

These are a few links from the last few days. The first link is from a video with the CEO of Turnitin - "In 18 months, we will need 20% of our employees and start hiring a lot of them out of high school"

In January 2023, she welcomed a new member to her team: ChatGPT. At $0 an hour, the chatbot can crank out more content much faster than freelancers and has replaced three content writers she would have otherwise hired through freelancing platform Upwork.

Dropbox layoffs: AI to blame for 16% job cut, CEO says

In a Thursday message to Dropbox employees, cofounder and CEO Drew Houston announced the decision to cut down the company’s workforce by 16%, or 500 employees, blaming AI in forcing a shift in strategies.
                                                  It is going to come for everyone and we as a society are not at all prepared for the transition currently taking place.
                                                  Last edited by Opr; 01-05-23, 12:38.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Speaking of down under, i see the Scottish judge of Masterchef Jock passed away yesterday, new series was due to start today, poor fucker was only 46.
                                                    Was just about to post about this. New series was due to air tonight. It’s been postponed. They are most likely still filming the season. Will be strange viewing knowing Jock is will not come back one week and why.

Police found his body at 2am after a welfare check call to hotel. Poor bastard.

Comment

Welfare check usually points at one thing
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Im talking about now not the future . The future doesnt need my opinion but it might need my purchase. Mass produced medium no matter what it is loses value. Anyhoo you chose to assume i dont get your point . I do, you dont get mine . Not really imo. Now hope this tech works rapidly on the cures we need . I'll buy those .
                                                        We’re talking about whether or not it can be used to create art. That art potentially hasn’t been created yet, or seen yet.
                                                        In the Warhol example, it’s wasn’t about whether you connect with it or not. That might be a factor if you rate it. But it has no impact on the point I was making about whether it’s is even art.

Ok a question . If in the future a Westworld like woman existed and some men the world over swapped them as partners declaring undying love .Would you consider this love real ? To YOU .
                                                        By a westworld like women, you mean like a sexy android hooker like in the cowboy saloon?
                                                        Well, it’s not reciprocal, so on that basis I wouldn’t consider it real love. I also wouldn’t consider people who think they’re in love with a regular human hookers to be really in love for the same reason - but they might feel they’re in love.

But I don’t see the parallel to AI tbh. As there is no human decision/control involved in the android hooker. Just a sex toy. AI art isn’t created autonomously.

Comment

Ah classic RyanAir.

Rush everyone to board, then announce that a strike in a totally separate country to the ones in your journey will mean you are sitting on the runway in Seville for a minimum of two hours before takeoff.

I mean, I'm glad I didn't join the lads in the timed ingestion of senokot.

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                            Welfare check usually points at one thing
                                                            Yeah. Was some speculation it may have been drugs given he has been open about a firmer heroin addiction. But the welfare check seems to be saying it, without saying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Scenes

Ding dong
                                                              Tears I am laughing so hard. This is a real picture from the closing ceremony. The first minute of this video.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

AI is currently burrowing its way slowly into all areas and quietly reshaping the whole labor market. I am listening to this week's All In podcast where they are talking already about companies they know who are currently in the process of cutting 30% of their workforce due to replacing them with AI, Startups instead of needing 5-10 people and millions in funding can be done with one or two people and next to nothing in funding, they are saying the quality of outsourced work has gone through the roof since they started using GPT and is 1/10 of the cost.

They talked about how everyone should be at least 30% more productive by using AI. That is 30% fewer jobs and do you think that increase in productivity will mean an increase in wages?

It is going to come for everyone and we as a society are not at all prepared for the transition currently taking place.
                                                                I love that podcast and listen to it every week, but David Friedburg aside they are not great thinkers, I would put next to no stock in their predictions for something as complicated as this. If you accept the premise that current AI makes everyone 30% more productive, then it's very unclear whether companies reduce their workforce by 30% or just make 30% more stuff.

Tech over the last few years has been crazily overstaffed, google, meta etc all had huge margins and felt like they were in a competition for talent, recently shareholders have been pushing for these companies to make themselves more efficient - that's the main reason these companies are letting people go. It's easier to blame AI for that than returning capital to shareholders.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I love that podcast and listen to it every week, but David Friedburg aside they are not great thinkers, I would put next to no stock in their predictions for something as complicated as this. If you accept the premise that current AI makes everyone 30% more productive, then it's very unclear whether companies reduce their workforce by 30% or just make 30% more stuff.

Tech over the last few years has been crazily overstaffed, google, meta etc all had huge margins and felt like they were in a competition for talent, recently shareholders have been pushing for these companies to make themselves more efficient - that's the main reason these companies are letting people go. It's easier to blame AI for that than returning capital to shareholders.
                                                                  I agree and actually, think Jason is a bit of a moron. When the buzz was starting around ChatGPT he thought it had little value and couldn't understand the hype. That was only 5/6 episodes ago and now it is going to change the world and is his landing page every day. People can change their minds but even his example this week of how he is using it that he thinks is outrageously clever is fairly rudimentary. I hold stock in what they are saying though because they do have connections and eyes and ears in the right places to talk in informed terms about how it is currently being used and deployed. It isn't their personal opinion anymore but what they are experiencing and seeing around them.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Dropbox layoffs: AI to blame for 16% job cut, CEO says

Looks in relative lockstep to the ballooning operational costs of most in the tech industry and is desirable to the market to make inroads in the operational costs.

It seems pretty opportunistic to me to put that down to AI rather than market conditions tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Looks in relative lockstep to the ballooning operational costs of most in the tech industry and is desirable to the market to make inroads in the operational costs.

It seems pretty opportunistic to me to put that down to AI rather than market conditions tbh.
                                                                      That is not true. the freelance writers' market devastation is a direct result of AI. The CEO of Turnitin is talking about a restructuring of the whole company retaining only 20% of staff in that video. You can't do that because you overhired. It is a radical new approach to the whole business. Chamath said the companies he has spoken to who are laying off workers have found ways to make existing employees more productive or they are using Auto GPT to replace existing systems/processes involving humans.

There is an argument that companies still have more weight to shed after overhiring but we also know that AI is going to cause job losses. It can be a combination of both but increasingly AI is going to be more and more impactful. I feel like we are going to sleepwalk into a nightmare where job cuts/losses are played off as some other thing until we reach breaking point. There is very little incentive for many people in power to shout about this while they automate people away.

Edit - You mean Dropbox specifically. Yeah, fair enough that one is probably quite tenuous but I was just quickly grabbing a few links to illustrate the point. I am sure I could find far better than that one story.
                                                                      Last edited by Opr; 01-05-23, 17:55.

Comment

This looks pretty insane. He has early access so you can't try it yet. It is also still only working with GPT 3.5 and not 4 yet.

Wharton professor Ethan Mollick's first impressions of GPT's new Interpreter Plug

Funny first comment on Reddit - "Any data analysts want to plot a graph showing their job prospects vs time?"

Last edited by Opr; 01-05-23, 19:16.

Comment

New book on Boris looks like it will be the final nail in his coffin. Interesting interview with its acclaimed author in The Guardian today.

Anthony Seldon on Boris Johnson: ‘At his heart, he is extraordinarily empty’

Comment

Succession.

SPOILER
                                                                            Kendall somehow turns bullshit into solid gold, but you would still have absolute rock-solid faith in his ability to fuck things up.
                                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Snooker was very enjoyable surprisingly.
                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Mellor

Your Warhol argument was very convincing. Enough to sway me I think.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

They have been doing these Twitter Spaces for poker (never heard of them before) but they are like town halls for communities. The last one seems to have gone completely off the rails. Doug comes off terribly.

Charlie wrote a Tweet five years ago saying roughly, "the best thing to do to prevent child molestation is to be empathetic towards pedophiles".

Doug decided to make a video on it that gets apparently 750k views and even now in this call says things like, "Charlie supports pedophiles."

Berkey and Doug are on a Twitter spaces discussing whether they should do a podcast (it's own kind of gross thing to use their disdain for each other to get views), and someone else on the call brings on Charlie because he apparently had some thoughts on a podcast.

Charlie uses the opportunity to bring this up, talks about how much it hurt his reputation, how he was actually abused as a child, etc. And Doug just completely shuts him down over and over again and is unwilling to budge an inch, even when Berkey, Joey, and others try to get Doug to even consider Charlie's perspective. Doug's argument is basically, "pedophiles are so evil, that you should draw a hard line and never say anything that could be construed as sympathetic towards pedophiles."

Charlie further says that other poker personalities have expressed private support, but are unwilling to do it publicly because they don't want to be the next target of Polk and his rabid fans.

Then under more pressure, Doug complains that Charlie shouldn't be posting that stuff to Twitter because it's too depressing and too nuanced to put up on Twitter.

It finally ends with Berkey going, "are you willing to say any part of your argument may be wrong?" And Doug just flatly saying no. Charlie and Doug go back and forth a bit more, Charlie calls Doug a 'virtue signaling fuck' and then Doug leaves.
                                                                                  The recording of the twitter space starts at 3.40 if you want to skip to listen.

Comment

The poker drama is fairly tiresome thee days. Can't stand that Carrell guy. Faux zen-guru that's just another poker training grifter. He was on something with Uri Peleg and Uri basically made a fool of him with how much better he understands the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                      I frequently enjoyed a binge of Gordon Lightfoot. If You Could Read My Mind, Sundown, Early Morning Rain, The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald (which gave the air to Back Home In Derry). Eerily I remember one morning I was up early to catch the red eye to London, as I was moving around my house, inspired by external weather conditions, I was singing Early Morning Rain to myself. I go out and turn on the car and Shay Byrne on RTE Radio 1 Rising Time was introducing the song. Was eerie.

He was brilliant in his day Bobbys Sands tune Back home in Derry was stolen from Edmund fitz but everyone knew that right . Is there nothing those IRA men wouldnt steal

Comment

This isn't really more fake poker drama and it really shouldn't be public at all but I think the overall sentiment is if it helps take away from Doug it is worth it.

Whatever you think of Charlie there is only one party in the wrong in this instance and it's Doug. He is getting universal backlash for what happened. I mean not only is he in the wrong but the lack of empathy he shows during the call is staggering. Charlie actually comes across as extremely measured and well spoken while he is clearly very emotional. Even Joey is like, ah now Doug take a minute here. I think overall people at least inside the poker community are fairly sick of Doug and his generate clicks whatever the cost and who cares if it is at the expense of others.

Comment

Yea it seems he's pushing the boat out too far these days. I see he apologised on Twitter.

Comment

I see Alex Kulev shipped the 100K SHR at EPT Monte Carlo.

He seems to be winning everything around him at present, the meteoric rise continues.

Comment

Poker faux drama posts still better than is AI art art posts.
                                                                                              Nice temperatures in Spain last week and in the ocean world wide- has AI got any solutions to that ? No? Then it’s fucking useless
                                                                                              Last edited by MysteryGuest; 02-05-23, 11:44.
                                                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Hmm my edit to add solutions instead of a lotions to above post saves but doesn’t show in the post.
                                                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                  Came across Spraggy’s vlog from the IO, I only watched a small bit so maybe some here feature if you were on his table.

Not sure what I think of the live vlogs. I saw the camera following him around all weekend and then he has his phone filming on the table.

I’m guessing these are becoming more popular but can’t imagine everyone is happy about them.
                                                                                                  He was at my table for the end of day 1. Didn't know he was, but seemed like a likable chap.

I guess the novelty of a cameraman was ok, but wouldn't want it to be standard (+ the polite but relentless inane table talk)

The recording is a tell as I noticed he switched on his phone camera after he got 4bet with his aces

I was the pfr in the QQ hand where he made a big call. The other guy in the hand was the guy I told the story about calling it off with ak high.

In the description he got some of the action wrong. I had a K and remember thinking I'm in a great spot to get a few streets of value here, so it was disappointing how that hand worked out
                                                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 02-05-23, 12:29.

Comment

New Music King entries, apologies for going AWOL.

P1 I think it's easy to go cliche with this genre pick. I had a look at my recently played and came across this instead. Have always been a fan of their work with Nellee Hooper's production https://youtu.be/ubvV498pyIM For general pick, Bitch Falcon, who unfortunately played their last gig a few months ago in Whelans - this

Looks like Player 1 will win this round unopposed https://youtu.be/uwR0wWCCtbk A hip hop act from Cabra? I know what you’re thinking but you’re dead wrong. Soft Boy Records has been subverting expectations of what Irish music of this type can be / should be for the last couple of years. This track from 2021’s

Comment

Witnessed a pretty spectacular meltdown at the poker over the weekend that j haven't seen for a long time. An aul lad who has been playing almost every pot, limp calling raises and hitting the deck, including getting it in at least 3 times drawing to 3 outs and hitting the river each time.

Anyway, a guy limps for 4k, aul lad makes it 18k, guy calls. They get it in on 7s 8s x flop. Guy has 9s 10s, aul lad has QQ. Guy binks the flush on the river and the aul lad launches into a tirade that would put Hellmuth to shame. Calls him all kinds of names under the sun and tells yer man he's a disgrace. Me and those 2 guys are the only players on the table who have been in since the start and I just laugh. Yer man doesn't open his mouth and let's the aul guy blast off.

He keeps going and its actually getting into overkill territory so I politely remind yer man about all the cards he's hit to this point and say that's the game. He says if i agree with playing NINE TEN that I'm a disgrace too. It was pretty epic and he bust a couple of hands later.

Game is alive and well.

On a lighter note, when there were 3 tables left in the main, some guy stood up and started shouting let's go and celebrating. The whole room goes silent and yer man realises everyone is looking at him, holds his hands up and says sorry everyone I just got very lucky which was met with applause around the room.

Was a fun weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                        I frequently enjoyed a binge of Gordon Lightfoot. If You Could Read My Mind, Sundown, Early Morning Rain, The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald (which gave the air to Back Home In Derry). Eerily I remember one morning I was up early to catch the red eye to London, as I was moving around my house, inspired by external weather conditions, I was singing Early Morning Rain to myself. I go out and turn on the car and Shay Byrne on RTE Radio 1 Rising Time was introducing the song. Was eerie.

Coincidentally I just opened this thread having heard Gordon Lightfoot on the John Creedon show about 5 mins ago.

I was wondering who it was and when Creedon back announced I was thinking to myself, 'well, there's a lad you don't hear very often these days, more's the pity'

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Coincidentally I just opened this thread having heard Gordon Lightfoot on the John Creedon show about 5 mins ago.

I was wondering who it was and when Creedon back announced I was thinking to myself, 'well, there's a lad you don't hear very often these days, more's the pity'
                                                                                                          This guy is always a good listrn. Hot off the press

On this livestream I discuss the passing of the iconic songwriter Gordon Lightfoot (1938-2023).

Comment

Can someone please remind me what the new alternative to Parcel Motel is?

Comment

There's a few depending on what you're seeking..

These guys have taken over the physical structure, but they only use deliver to your specific location. They don't do the NI transfer.

I think there's other services do take delivery in NI.

​​​​​​https://www.oohpod.com/parcel-motel-alternative

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                There's a few depending on what you're seeking..

These guys have taken over the physical structure, but they only use deliver to your specific location. They don't do the NI transfer.

I think there's other services do take delivery in NI.

​​​​​​https://www.oohpod.com/parcel-motel-alternative
                                                                                                                Thanks, and I see there's one near me.

Now that I'm in the office ~80% of the week, useful to have that.

Comment

Three parcels shipped to me for work in the last week, first was royal mail, came into An Post and was returned to UK for inadequate customs docs, next came via DPD invoice value of goods was €200 and we had to pay €115 to clear it through customs, there is obviously something wrong there but its to do with the way the supplier wrote the documentation. Third was delivered via DHL but this company had all their documentation in order with a zero value invoice as equipment on loan for testing and that came straight through.
                                                                                                                  Unbelievable that all these years later those suppliers still have absolutely no idea what they need to do to export to the EU.
                                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Probably also BrexShit related I've had a sequence of visits to B&Q over the last weeks where I each time caught them out charging more at the till than the prices on the shelf.

First one was a little garden knife labelled a fiver that scanned at €9 and because I happened to notice that the next time was the getting a few seeds I made a point of checking and two out of five packs were scanning as a different price than advertised. Third time was a showerhead labelled €43 that scanned at €48 this one was crazy as they argued with me and was claiming I was making it up so I brought her down to the shelf and what was going on was that there were two racks of the exact same model right beside each other but with different prices one a fiver more than the other... but the fucking geniuses has stocked all the ones that the barcode scanned @ €48 under the €43 label and vice versa.

Caveat Emptor
                                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                      Probably also BrexShit related I've had a sequence of visits to B&Q over the last weeks where I each time caught them out charging more at the till than the prices on the shelf.

First one was a little garden knife labelled a fiver that scanned at €9 and because I happened to notice that the next time was the getting a few seeds I made a point of checking and two out of five packs were scanning as a different price than advertised. Third time was a showerhead labelled €43 that scanned at €48 this one was crazy as they argued with me and was claiming I was making it up so I brought her down to the shelf and what was going on was that there were two racks of the exact same model right beside each other but with different prices one a fiver more than the other... but the fucking geniuses has stocked all the ones that the barcode scanned @ €48 under the €43 label and vice versa.

Caveat Emptor
                                                                                                                      I presume they didn't give it you for the €43 given the CE

I've had a few of those where Tescos kept scanning a medium crusty bread as large. The first few times I was already outside and just couldnt be bothered.
                                                                                                                      Had another where the till person insisted she had scanned the correct bread size even though I pointed out that it had happened before and she had most likely scanned the wrong picture on the album thingy they use. Got it sorted in the end but it's almost hardly worth the effort.

Mind you did get a free set of razors once that somehow I didn't scan through. The security tag was still on and went back (virtuous individual and virtue signalling bollox that I am!) to pay. The floor manager took off the tag and wouldn't take payment.

Probably wasn't bothered doing the corrections on the till so free shaving for me and some brief contemplation towards a criminal life given how easy it was to walk out with it!

Comment

Still not as good as when a bookie hands you back too much cash.

Remember having £14 e/w on Urubande one day as a broke student (literally my last 28 bucks). Fran Crowley was going out with one of the lads on our hockey team and sent word that this thing was a cert. He won by the width of the track and I went to collect my loot. The clerk paid me out for £40 e/w, having clearly misheard fourteen as forty. I steadfastly pocketed the loot, said thanks very much and reversed out of there at top speed.

Not one scintilla of conscience.

Comment

oleras sent you a PM m8

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X