This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
    Actually - surely you could technically baptise the child in both religions and then get the best of both worlds? Can't imagine its recorded on any official documents and couldn't be breaking any laws
    A Grandmother I know was caught red handed late one night secretly baptising her Grandson who was very explicitly being brought up outside any church. Scenes of great hilarity ensued.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Michael D back in to 4/11 - presume PaddyPower have got the results of some poll yet to be released. Bit nervous there for a while
      The directors loans and the money that was just resting in his account, the intensity of the FF connection and doubts about his actual business ability were all starting to come against him. Now all you are going to hear about between now and the election is 5K a plate dinners with Biffo.

Actually which would be more toxic do you think a FF candidate with close ties to Cowen or an IRA murderer who continues to lie about it.

Then again looking at the Priory Hall Fire hazard debacle and the low life scumbags behind that its as if the Shinners are just an even worse version of Fianna Fail.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Michael D back in to 4/11 - presume PaddyPower have got the results of some poll yet to be released. Bit nervous there for a while
          wow big jump there in the prices,micky dee must be the "most transfer friendly" of the lot of them.might be something in the papers on the horizon for sean gallagher,a picture of him holding a wheel brace,perhaps
          Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

Apologies about a baby-related question:

Baptism: good / bad idea?

Don't particularly have anything against organised religion per se, but the whole baptism etc etc thing does seem like a relic of a simpler time.

What are the upsides of baptising (presumably into Catholicism)?

I'm thinking maybe that religion teaches the principles of right and wrong (albeit in a confusing, exclusionary, homophobic, and misogynistic fashion - but sure nothings perfect), and might influence school choice.

EDIT: Another potential upside is that First Communion is such a nice event
            Very clever.

I don't know if you've all noticed it, but Mike has clearly spent a couple of hours figuring out the exact perfect way to annoy me, and condensed it into a nice, mild-seeming five or six lines.

Fuck you Hitch, epic life tilt!

Comment

Apologies about a baby-related question:

Baptism: good / bad idea?

Don't particularly have anything against organised religion per se, but the whole baptism etc etc thing does seem like a relic of a simpler time.

What are the upsides of baptising (presumably into Catholicism)?

I'm thinking maybe that religion teaches the principles of right and wrong (albeit in a confusing, exclusionary, homophobic, and misogynistic fashion - but sure nothings perfect), and might influence school choice.

EDIT: Another potential upside is that First Communion is such a nice event
              This is a massive issue with the wife and me and we're not planning on having children any time soon, but something always comes up and we end up talking about it and neither of us are backing down,

Me:
              Im Catholic, my family would expect us to raise the kids catholic, Im do go to church on the biggie's christmas and easter etc, but after that not so much - I don't really know how important this is.... I of th opion that religon is like a condom, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

Herself:
              No Religon, has a few friends that are serious cathloic's (church every day, confessions every week, no work on the lords day, no sex before marrage, condom's the devils work etc) she discussed reglion with them to find out about all this stuff and is kind of in the middle of the road but she hate's to be pushed into anything - I haven't pushed her into it or anything of the like but I'm not going to be pushed around on this either - She isn't aganist the child getting religon but wants to wait til the child is older to decide but in fiarness that is 18 years (maybe earlier) before a child can really make a descision like this and I feel this is a total cop out for parental resposible!

Family:
              Have one niece, who is baptised I don't want to end up telling my child the reason she doesnt get to do the things like Communion/confirmation because WE don't belive in that sort of stuff, because i do.* My dad has found religon again in later life and would totally be aganist not introducing religon into the childs life

Also i feel that some stuff like schools etc will be of limits to them but i feel this has become less of a problem as of late.

i really don't see either of us agreeing to the other side to be total honest.... It will be a strange thing

It's funny because it such a massive thing and can blow into a massive argument, but it wouldn't stop us from having children (in the future) This is one o f the main issues about mixing of different beliefs/races. I wouldnt give up my slanty eyed wife for all the money in the world though!!

These kind of decisions are easier when the parents have the same belief's, but not that much easier as family/friends /church always stick there nose in!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                Speaking of religion my girlfriend is going to a wedding today of one of her friends from college - think shes 22 which is a lolage to be getting married imo but anyway she is big into her religion (think its some form of born again christian stuff called Evangelical Christian). So basically no sex before mariage and its frowned upon if you marry outside the relion AFAIK which kind of limits your choice.

Anyway Im in the dog house at the moment for point blank refusing to go - I really just didnt want to spend the day getting told I was living in sin and Im going to hell blah blah blah and I couldnt promise I wouldnt get into a debate trying to tell them how narrowminded their views were.

Now dont get me wrong people are free to practice whatever religion they want it makes no difference to me just dont be wrecking my head about it
                Troll heaven, no?

Comment

There are no words to describe my hatred for religious indoctrination of children.

Comment

religionlol...that about sums it up.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                      DeadParrot - Get Danny to do your wedding pics
                      The thought had crossed my mind
                      Live blogging should also be included
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Is there an easy way to make an album cover your wallpaper on an iPhone? How can I download one if I cant do that?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                            Troll heaven, no?
                            noo, troll heaven, if you want to do it properly in real life, is to turn up to the upcoming Chemtrails protest with signs saying "MOAR CHEMTRAILS PLS"
                            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                              This is a massive issue with the wife and me and we're not planning on having children any time soon, but something always comes up and we end up talking about it and neither of us are backing down,

Me:
                              Im Catholic, my family would expect us to raise the kids catholic, Im do go to church on the biggie's christmas and easter etc, but after that not so much - I don't really know how important this is.... I of th opion that religon is like a condom, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

Herself:
                              No Religon, has a few friends that are serious cathloic's (church every day, confessions every week, no work on the lords day, no sex before marrage, condom's the devils work etc) she discussed reglion with them to find out about all this stuff and is kind of in the middle of the road but she hate's to be pushed into anything - I haven't pushed her into it or anything of the like but I'm not going to be pushed around on this either - She isn't aganist the child getting religon but wants to wait til the child is older to decide but in fiarness that is 18 years (maybe earlier) before a child can really make a descision like this and I feel this is a total cop out for parental resposible!

Family:
                              Have one niece, who is baptised I don't want to end up telling my child the reason she doesnt get to do the things like Communion/confirmation because WE don't belive in that sort of stuff, because i do.* My dad has found religon again in later life and would totally be aganist not introducing religon into the childs life

Also i feel that some stuff like schools etc will be of limits to them but i feel this has become less of a problem as of late.

i really don't see either of us agreeing to the other side to be total honest.... It will be a strange thing

It's funny because it such a massive thing and can blow into a massive argument, but it wouldn't stop us from having children (in the future) This is one o f the main issues about mixing of different beliefs/races. I wouldnt give up my slanty eyed wife for all the money in the world though!!

These kind of decisions are easier when the parents have the same belief's, but not that much easier as family/friends /church always stick there nose in!!
                              Baptism of children is a relativey new thing, and traditionally it would always have been done as an adult when you can make a logical and informed decision of your commitment to religion.

While I'm not religious myself, it actually irritates me more when I see people going through the motions because "it's the thing to do" I recently had to attend a christening and I don't think a single set of the half dozen or so parents there were taking it seriously or even listening to what the priest had to say, it was a complete joke and a pointless exercise.

The educate together schools are very good by all reports and don't require a religious background in order for your child to attend and I would be a big believer in letting the child hit 18 and make their own decisions. You say that's a long time, but what does it really matter?
                              Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Personally I think religion and schools should stay 500m apart at all times, but the stuff about the protestant schools is mostly correct. They tend to be very small and as such you get much more dedication to individual children. They also tend to be hard to get in to for the same reasons, so a tactical baptism might be in order.
                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                  Is there an easy way to make an album cover your wallpaper on an iPhone? How can I download one if I cant do that?

Cheers.
                                  Find the Album cover on Google Images.

Right Click > Copy Image

Open iTunes

Go to the Album in question and right click.

Should be an option with a tick box allowing you to insert artwork.

Right click "Paste".

Voila
                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
                                    Yeah, they seem to have done a stellar job of protecting it from the illegal downloads.

Suggest a movie for me Danny!
                                    Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                    Got the young fellow a TS of johnny English tonight, was pure cam, sound was ridic.

I refuse to watch TS or CAMS and have now included PPV rips
                                    there is a DVDscr of the Hangover II out but the quality isn't the best. As the dvd release should hit within a few weeks I'm not bothering.
                                    As for a movie, Columbiana was a decent action romp.
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                      There are no words to describe my hatred for religious indoctrination of children.
                                      Yeah know where your coming from but maybe it's all the stuff that was beat into me by the church as a child i wouldnt like to think of all the poor still born babies that are floating around not allowed the church - I acutally found this head stone to remember these in wexford when i was like 14, it was in the corner of a field closest to the crosstown grave yard, don't know why but when i read the headstone it i burst into tears... I will never forget my hatered of the church for putting this into my head but also making me fearful about this

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                      religionlol...that about sums it up.
                                      +1 to all the shit that goes with it religon and belief's in a higher power are your own, I understand this but i can't understand why im such a drooler when it comes to potential my own children FML!

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                        Speaking of religion my girlfriend is going to a wedding today of one of her friends from college - think shes 22 which is a lolage to be getting married imo but anyway she is big into her religion (think its some form of born again christian stuff called Evangelical Christian). So basically no sex before mariage and its frowned upon if you marry outside the relion AFAIK which kind of limits your choice.

Anyway Im in the dog house at the moment for point blank refusing to go - I really just didnt want to spend the day getting told I was living in sin and Im going to hell blah blah blah and I couldnt promise I wouldnt get into a debate trying to tell them how narrowminded their views were.

Now dont get me wrong people are free to practice whatever religion they want it makes no difference to me just dont be wrecking my head about it
                                        Could you not just turn up, stand in silence while they all pray, and keep your mouth shut for politeness sake? Just getting along for the sake of it isn't really your thing, is it?
                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Can now link to specific time in a youtube video. potentially handy. Just right-click and select 'copy link at current time'

e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...NbQfB-0E#t=12s
                                          Been around awhile.

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                          The thought had crossed my mind
                                          Live blogging should also be included
                                          I have been asked to shoot a wedding but I don't think my photography or level of confidence are anywhere the level to undertake such a task, would hate to feel like I might possibly ruin such an important day for the couple by fucking up the photos somehow.

Cheers.
                                          I'm pretty sure you can't do what you want.

What you can do is find the image in Google through either your phone (copy and download straight to your phone gallery) or on your computer same as above but bluetooth it or something to your phone.
                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

My first child was 2 when i got her christened.
                                            done my best to hold off on it for as long as i could. Wanted her to make her own mind up, But with school looming and grandparents sticking their ore in putting pressure on herself i finally caved and went ahead with it, on my second child she was nearly 3 but alas schools and so forth pushed me into it.
                                            But hey they got 2/3 yrs of non scaring from a church that is ridic. My children do pray but just not to power weilding god that church tell us is fact.
                                            http://www.sitnpoker.com/?amigosid=18

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                              Could you not just turn up, stand in silence while they all pray, and keep your mouth shut for politeness sake? Just getting along for the sake of it isn't really your thing, is it?
                                              At friends weddings christenings etc. I go along and sit quietly. I'm there for them, not the ceremony.

Comment

Cheers.
                                                Get the image up on your phone screen through Google images or whatever, then take a screenshot of it by pressing the power button and the front button at the same time. That'll save it to your pictures from which you can set it to be the phone's screensaver.

Comment

I really disagree with baptizing children. If they grow up and decide to believe in fairies and leprechauns, let them choose for themselves later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                    Baptism of children is a relativey new thing, and traditionally it would always have been done as an adult when you can make a logical and informed decision of your commitment to religion.

While I'm not religious myself, it actually irritates me more when I see people going through the motions because "it's the thing to do" I recently had to attend a christening and I don't think a single set of the half dozen or so parents there were taking it seriously or even listening to what the priest had to say, it was a complete joke and a pointless exercise.

The educate together schools are very good by all reports and don't require a religious background in order for your child to attend and I would be a big believer in letting the child hit 18 and make their own decisions. You say that's a long time, but what does it really matter?

Quoted for truth..... I would take my belief's seriously and hate the whole going through the motions for the day out, really erk's me when you see people that have 40 people coming to there child's comunion and they couldnt give a toss about what it actually means just a big day out and for people to show off. Sniper rifle needed at a lot of these events!!

ps I Dislike the church as a whole but my parish priest in wexford who married myself and the wife is the stone cold nuts and when in wexford i do try to go to his mass mainly due to his attidue of we are only in church to celbrate god i can't tell you what to think about sex life work family

Comment

I refuse to watch TS or CAMS and have now included PPV rips
                                                      there is a DVDscr of the Hangover II out but the quality isn't the best. As the dvd release should hit within a few weeks I'm not bothering.
                                                      As for a movie, Columbiana was a decent action romp.
                                                      Nearly all PPV rips I have seen have been trash and would never watch one.

The Hangover II is out to download in DVD format now appeared online yesterday, as for Columbiana I can't watch those rips (R6) with the subtitles on it would rather wait for a proper release.

Comment

i do try to go to his mass mainly due to his attidue of we are only in church to celbrate god i can't tell you what to think about sex life work family
                                                        Good priest, terrible catholic (not that that is a bad thing, tbh).

Comment

EDIT: NVM, I'll come back later.

Comment

My Da was never much of a man for explaining the ways of the world to me and he remains to this day a very devout catholic but I'll never forget him pointing something out to me one day.
                                                            We were working in our shop dealing with two customers, one was Butsy an alcoholic who was just hanging around being a nuisance in the horrors as he did many mornings waiting for the pub to let him in and straighten him out and the other was a little old lady who was very nervous and agitated which to me seemed the normal condition for that woman. She had a kettle that needed repair and he told her to call in for it that it would be ready when she was on her way back from Mass. About an hour later she called in and as it happened Butsy was back too doing a Message for the Publican, My Da had me serve the woman and when she left he says to me 'Did you notice the difference in Mrs Murphy between now and when she was in earlier?' and thinking about it it was striking how the little bundle of wiry nervous energy was now a picture of serenity, confused I asked him 'What was she in the bar with Butsy... is she a bit of a dipso?' God no she never touched a drop in her life! She just got her fix down in the Church and she'll be back tomorrow as desperate for it as ever'.
                                                            Sure enough over the years I came to notice dozens of the morning mass crowd who were similarly altered just by the routine and the ceremonials. Not an awful lot wrong with that in itself.
                                                            Last edited by Strewelpeter; 20-10-11, 10:18.

Comment

I'm pretty firmly against organised religion, especially forcing one on a child and especially if said organised religion is the catholic church. In saying that, if I had a kid, I think I'd still get them baptized. It'd be a hollow, meaningless ceremony and I would in no way shape or form push any religious beliefs on them as a result, but I think we still live in a country where that would make their lives slightly easier, and also, I don't think it'd do them any good to explain to them at their young ages why they can't take part in communion/confirmation, despite thinking it's all a load of bollocks. I don't really see the downside to getting them baptized.

I was baptized and am 'officially' catholic, but my parents were always very vocally anti religion. I did the communion/confirmation thing for the ceremony and free money sake of it as much as anything else, but it was never even suggested I attend mass outside of that or do confession or any of that nonsense, my parents always made it clear that I could make up my own mind from a very early age. I don't think baptism in any way affected that. I think that's just the easiest, best solution for the kids sake.
                                                              "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                My Da was never much of a man for explaining the ways of the world to me and he remains to this day a very devout catholic but I'll never forget him pointing something out to me one day.
                                                                We were working in our shop dealing with two customers, one was Butsy an alcoholic who was just hanging around being a nuisance in the horrors as he did many mornings waiting for the pub to let him in and straighten him out and the other was a little old lady who was very nervous and agitated which to me seemed the normal condition for that woman. She had a kettle that needed repair and he told her to call in for it that it would be ready when she was on her way back from Mass. About an hour later she called in and as it happened Butsy was back too doing a Message for the Publican, My Da had me serve the woman and when she left he says to me 'Did you notice the difference in Mrs Murphy between now and when she was in earlier?' and thinking about it it was striking how the little bundle of wiry nervous energy was now a picture of serenity, confused I asked him 'What was she in the bar with Butsy... is she a bit of a dipso?' God no she never touched a drop in her life! She just got her fix down in the Church and she'll be back tomorrow as desperate for it as ever'.
                                                                Sure enough over the years I came to notice dozens of the morning mass crowd who were similarly altered just by the routine and the ceremonials. Not an awful lot wrong with that in itself.

Comment

i was reared catholic, wife was reared catholic, we have 3 kids and they will be reared catholic. we don't go to mass and nor do i expect my kids to go to mass, if the wife decides ahe wants to go to mass an odd sunday and bring the kids with her then thats fine. but they generally go to mass most sundays with either their aunt or their nanna, its completely their own decision, allbeit it is somewhat influenced by sweets in the shop afterwards. when they turn 18 they are free to join whatever religon they want but up until that they will be roman catholic, they don't have to practice it just be it.

religon itself is fine imo, but it is the way it is taught to them, crazed parents and priests or other members of the clergy frightening the shit out of innocent childern with stories of burning in hell for eternity is wrong and just another form of brainwashing/terrorising kids into blindly following the religon.

kids are to young to know any different and they can make up their own mind when older, but in the meantime it is up to us as parents to do our best for them. it is each parents decision whether to give them a religon or not starting off and i don't think it is as simple a case of "following the crowd" because this is the "new thing" or "thats what all the neighbours are doing". it is something you do yourself because you feel that this decision may benefit your kids upbringing in some way, not because some nutjob down the pub or on the internet said to go this way or that. they are only trying to force their opinions and beliefs on you the same way that they are blaming the priests and clergy for forcing it on them.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                    I really disagree with baptizing children. If they grow up and decide to believe in fairies and leprechauns, let them choose for themselves later on.

but will we not call them idots and scream where were there parents and piss poor job of raising them etc???

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                      I had a great conversation with one of my very religous friend a while ago about prayer being very similar to meditation, but that it could also be a form of hypnotism. She was very much of the belief that God was at work when her or others at her church felt the powerful benefits of prayer or being "overcome by the power of the holy spirit" during extended prayer sessions.

As an atheist, people having seizures in church is a very disturbing thing to witness. Funnily enough this had never happened to her, although she's seen it happen many times. I reckon it's because she's much more of a free thinker than your average religious type. She finds it much harder to "give in to God" as they describe it, or as I describe it to allow herself to be hypnotised.

Comment

Not sure there are any Russian Orthodox left except amongst the very old! Think the default is no religion there, unless accidentally married a heathen who lied about the lack of Russian religiousity
                                                                        bloke work with is Russian Orthodox
                                                                        January christmas, fasting etc

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                          I had a great conversation with one of my very religous friend a while ago about prayer being very similar to meditation, but that it could also be a form of hypnotism. She was very much of the belief that God was at work when her or others at her church felt the powerful benefits of prayer or being "overcome by the power of the holy spirit" during extended prayer sessions.

As an atheist, people having seizures in church is a very disturbing thing to witness. Funnily enough this had never happened to her, although she's seen it happen many times. I reckon it's because she's much more of a free thinker than your average religious type. She finds it much harder to "give in to God" as they describe it, or as I describe it to allow herself to be hypnotised.
                                                                          Oh yea there is no doubt about that, though the methods and participation involved in Catholicism and most Christian churches work as a weak and ineffective form of the kind of Mindfulness programs that Hotspur has been extolling the virtues of for ages.
                                                                          Where the feck is Hotspur when you need him?

Comment

In Newgrange over the weekend for the first time. That really was a devoted religion. Fascinating stuff, especially with the inner chamber of Knowth having all that Christian religious symbolism despite being a few thousand years before Christianity.
                                                                            the cruciform was fairly popular in pre christian religions.
                                                                            It symbolized the journey of the Sun & the horizon.
                                                                            It was also representitive of other deities and was often the posture used in prayer.
                                                                            There is a saying nothing is new under the sun and that often applies to religious beliefs and symbols

Comment

If you're baptising your child solely to get the child into a particular school then the system is completely fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                If you're baptising your child solely to get the child into a particular school then the system is completely fucked up.

what do you me "then," A lot of systems are fcuked up in this country not alone what schools you can get a child into based on religion price tag and who there daddy is!

Comment

what do you me "then," A lot of systems are fcuked up in this country not alone what schools you can get a child into based on religion price tag and who there daddy is!
                                                                                  if you realise the system is fucked up you propigate how wrong it is by playing along with it.

Comment

yes it is but what are you gonna do? Send them to a crappy school to prove your point?
                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                      Nearly all PPV rips I have seen have been trash and would never watch one.

The Hangover II is out to download in DVD format now appeared online yesterday, as for Columbiana I can't watch those rips (R6) with the subtitles on it would rather wait for a proper release.
                                                                                      Yeah I've had a look the C8 Hive rip
                                                                                      Its not great.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                                        I'm pretty firmly against organised religion, especially forcing one on a child and especially if said organised religion is the catholic church. In saying that, if I had a kid, I think I'd still get them baptized. It'd be a hollow, meaningless ceremony and I would in no way shape or form push any religious beliefs on them as a result, but I think we still live in a country where that would make their lives slightly easier, and also, I don't think it'd do them any good to explain to them at their young ages why they can't take part in communion/confirmation, despite thinking it's all a load of bollocks. I don't really see the downside to getting them baptized.

I was baptized and am 'officially' catholic, but my parents were always very vocally anti religion. I did the communion/confirmation thing for the ceremony and free money sake of it as much as anything else, but it was never even suggested I attend mass outside of that or do confession or any of that nonsense, my parents always made it clear that I could make up my own mind from a very early age. I don't think baptism in any way affected that. I think that's just the easiest, best solution for the kids sake.

While there are a few different arguements against this; it is probably the least troublesome road to take

Comment

@GAB, Smullen's book of rides looks better than JPM's for tomorrow night. 6 vs 4 as well.

Balmont Mast drawn widest of all in the 5f event.

Comment

Just finished watching the shield, great show. 3rd favorite after sopranos and the wire. Any suggestions as to what to watch next? Preferably one that's already finished, can't watch a show with ad breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Plough View Post
                                                                                              Just finished watching the shield, great show. 3rd favorite after sopranos and the wire. Any suggestions as to what to watch next? Preferably one that's already finished, can't watch a show with ad breaks.
                                                                                              Breaking Bad or Friday Night Lights. Could go a bit more old school and hit up The West Wing that was also excellent. Or mini series Generation Kill was superb

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                                i was reared catholic, wife was reared catholic, we have 3 kids and they will be reared catholic. we don't go to mass and nor do i expect my kids to go to mass, if the wife decides ahe wants to go to mass an odd sunday and bring the kids with her then thats fine.
                                                                                                You're not a real Catholic but don't worry, most people are the same. The following is not a pop at you personally by the way.

I actually have more respect for full blood Catholics than a la carte Catholics. Either you believe or you don't. If you are halfway between then call yourself agnostic and get on with it. The Catholic faith has a list of dogmas and beliefs. I don't agree with the vast majority of them and I am not Catholic but if you want to be a Catholic then you should either be Catholic or you should not. There really is no middle ground.

I honestly have more respect for die-hard Christians than I do for liberal Christian. You can't join a club and decide to only follow the rules that suit you. That the Catholic Church don't throw people out anymore is because of their dire need for money. Church of Ireland and England are pathetic in the extreme and are more a social institution than a religious one. Modern day Christianity is just ridiculous in the extreme and piecemeal Catholicism is one of the worst expressions of that idiocy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                  I honestly have more respect for die-hard Christians than I do for liberal Christian. You can't join a club and decide to only follow the rules that suit you. That the Catholic Church don't throw people out anymore is because of their dire need for money. Church of Ireland and England are pathetic in the extreme and are more a social institution than a religious one. Modern day Christianity is just ridiculous in the extreme and piecemeal Catholicism is one of the worst expressions of that idiocy.
                                                                                                  so if I follow this correctly....Ian Paisley is an excellent Christian and you have the height of respect for him.

or Dana

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                    yes it is but what are you gonna do? Send them to a crappy school to prove your point?
                                                                                                    non religious school != crappy school. There's plenty of shit religious schools.

Comment

so if I follow this correctly....Ian Paisley is an excellent Christian and you have the height of respect for him.

or Dana
                                                                                                      Ian Paisley is an excellent Free Presbyterian.

Dana is an excellent Catholic.

Comment

non religious school != crappy school.
                                                                                                        Strange that someone who likely walked past all the Mount Temple folk every day would arrive at this opinion!

Comment

You're not a real Catholic but don't worry, most people are the same. The following is not a pop at you personally by the way.

I actually have more respect for full blood Catholics than a la carte Catholics. Either you believe or you don't. If you are halfway between then call yourself agnostic and get on with it. The Catholic faith has a list of dogmas and beliefs. I don't agree with the vast majority of them and I am not Catholic but if you want to be a Catholic then you should either be Catholic or you should not. There really is no middle ground.

Amen.

Comment

or Dana
                                                                                                            I don't necessarily agree with their beliefs and, in Dana's case, I don't have much respect for her as a person but I do respect the clarity of their belief and the fact that they fully embrace their positions.

A la carte Catholicism is the religious equivalent of fence-sitting politically. I don't agree but I don't disagree either. I hate people like that. Just make your fucking mind up.

It's not as if there are no options either. If you don't agree with the Catholic faith then don't describe yourself as Catholic. Be agnostic or "spiritual" or whatever other term you want but Catholic imputes a specific set of beliefs that most Irish people who describe themselves as Catholics just don't hold.

Comment

Dana is an excellent Catholic.
                                                                                                              She proved it by ignoring child sexual abuse too, she's up with the priests in terms of being a committed catholic

Comment

Yeah I've had a look the C8 Hive rip
                                                                                                                Its not great.
                                                                                                                Huh

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                  Strange that someone who likely walked past all the Mount Temple folk every day would arrive at this opinion!
                                                                                                                  some of my friends went there

Comment

I don't necessarily agree with their beliefs and, in Dana's case, I don't have much respect for her as a person but I do respect the clarity of their belief and the fact that they fully embrace their positions.

A la carte Catholicism is the religious equivalent of fence-sitting politically. I don't agree but I don't disagree either. I hate people like that. Just make your fucking mind up.

It's not as if there are no options either. If you don't agree with the Catholic faith then don't describe yourself as Catholic. Be agnostic or "spiritual" or whatever other term you want but Catholic imputes a specific set of beliefs that most Irish people who describe themselves as Catholics just don't hold.
                                                                                                                    The fact that most Irish Catholics are much closer to Protestants in their beliefs on a lot of the most important issues of religion is something that gives me no end of amusement, especially considering the typical Irish Catholic's reaction to having it pointed out to them.

Comment

Kind of agree with this up to a point. The A la Carte brigade exist at all sorts of levels some of which are harmless and others malevolent.

I honestly have more respect for die-hard Christians than I do for liberal Christian. You can't join a club and decide to only follow the rules that suit you.
                                                                                                                      But the concept of Christianity is a very different thing from the dogma of any church. I would contend that the very few real Christians I have met from inside and outside churches are by definition rebels who ignore the rules and dogma they don't like in order to live the core teaching of selflessness and giving.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                        The fact that most Irish Catholics are much closer to Protestants in their beliefs on a lot of the most important issues of religion is something that gives me no end of amusement, especially considering the typical Irish Catholic's reaction to having it pointed out to them.

800 YEARS!!

Comment

some of my friends went there
                                                                                                                          Ah. I always just viewed them as 'the others', with their long hair and weird clothes.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X