This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick best man dilemma

Getting married in September and my best man has speechaphobia. Not just worried about the speech, but genuinely can't breathe and almost passes out (he previously attempted his brothers wedding). I still want him as my best man, but might have to come to another arrangement. Can you have 2 best men?

Not sure if it's the done thing, but is it ok for someone else to stand in and give the speech because i'm not sure if having no speech would go down too well.

Also, do you think anyone would take offense to take on the speech despite not been offered the job? Especially a family member maybe? Anyone had any similar experiences? Cheers folks

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
      Peruvian and Bolivian soccer not enough ?lol

I used to find Canadian ice hockey a nice fix, all line betting.
      they were over by the time I posted, had nothing to bet on!
      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I know there are some of you who will love this!!

NEW TOM WAITS ALBUM!!!!, currently being streamed at http://badasme.com/ and jnb-088im is a password you can use there guys and gals - it is f***ing brilliant as expected
        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I should state that my reading is based on a separation of powers argument. There is another argument that goes along the lines of the Courts having the power of judicial review only to inquire into whether or not the Oireachtas has taken due account of the principles of fair procedures. I personally cannot imagine the Courts being happy to do that although, in the past, they have accepted a power of judicial review over Oireachtas committees.

The difference this time is that the Committees have a Constitutional basis rather than a legislative one and that really does alter the entire playing field.
          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
            Amazon won't let you ship from the US site to the UK, I don't think.
            So is it only for US release?

Is there any way of getting on to Ireland or the UK without having to send to a US address first?

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
              Quick best man dilemma

Getting married in September and my best man has speechaphobia. Not just worried about the speech, but genuinely can't breathe and almost passes out (he previously attempted his brothers wedding). I still want him as my best man, but might have to come to another arrangement. Can you have 2 best men?

Not sure if it's the done thing, but is it ok for someone else to stand in and give the speech because i'm not sure if having no speech would go down too well.

Also, do you think anyone would take offense to take on the speech despite not been offered the job? Especially a family member maybe? Anyone had any similar experiences? Cheers folks
              get a few brandies into him before the dinner
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Quick best man dilemma

Anybody who gives a fuck or complains or feels slighted or whatever by how you run your own wedding can just fuck off and stay away.
                Do what you want to do the way you want to do it.

A friend of mine had his Sister as his best man, it made complete sense he has loads of brothers who had done it for each other and she was the only girl and the one who he was closest to. I think there were a few fools who couldn't deal with the idea but it was excellent.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                  And that guy in particular has shown he is a world-beating telecoms innovator, who presumably should have won a fair contest if one had been run. But it seems the only contest he was allowed to enter was a corrupt one that required bribery.
                  this is bollocks of the highest order Hitch

none of the other tendering offers resorted to bribery, the winning bid did

hmm, coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                    I know there are some of you who will love this!!

NEW TOM WAITS ALBUM!!!!, currently being streamed at http://badasme.com/ and jnb-088im is a password you can use there guys and gals - it is f***ing brilliant as expected
                    Been listening to it since yesterday. Excellent stuff.
                    I think you might need to get your own password via invite.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                      So is it only for US release?

Is there any way of getting on to Ireland or the UK without having to send to a US address first?
                      They will ship Kindles to Ireland from US site but not from UK site.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        get a few brandies into him before the dinner
                        That would probably make him worse

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        Anybody who gives a fuck or complains or feels slighted or whatever by how you run your own wedding can just fuck off and stay away.

A friend of mine had his Sister as his best man, it made complete sense he has loads of brothers who had done it for each other and she was the only girl and the one who he was closest to. I think there were a few fools who couldn't deal with the idea but it was excellent.
                        I want him as my best man though, but it means the speech doesn't come from him. I could do without the speech, but even if all stories are ignored, i'd like to get a shoutout given to the parents etc. Just need to get a stunt double in i think!

Comment

Quick best man dilemma

Argh, that is a bit of a sticky situation, though maybe not if you have someone else in your family / friends who you think will actually enjoy giving the speech. If I were asked to deliver a 'best man-like' speech I would be honoured but I wouldn't look forward to it very much, having done it a few times before. I don't think the person you ask will take offence, it really is a honour IMHO, but hopefully they will be the type of person who will jump at the chance (everyone has family / friends like this), rather than someone who doesn't particularly like standing up in front of a crowd.

Comment

Quick best man dilemma

Interesting...

First thing is u need to talk to your intended best man. Given his issues he may prefer not to take on the role at all. Understandable as he will get questions as to why he did not give the speech...

It is totally fine to have a couple of groomsmen, one of whom is nominated to give a speech. No problem there.

Has your mate ever had treatment for the condition? Given that's its a year away he would have plenty of time to see if he could overcome it in time for your wedding. If not you could always have a back up plan in place.

Best of luck with it. Not a nice condition to have..

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              this is bollocks of the highest order Hitch

none of the other tendering offers resorted to bribery,

That they'll admit to
                              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

have one guy do the speech while the best man gets out on the floor and does the speech in interpretive dance

Comment

They will ship Kindles to Ireland from US site but not from UK site.
                                  Only the standard one like I got though.

Comment

That's one of the best wedding stories I have ever heard. To really see it from his point of view though I think pics of said sister are required

Comment

Quick best man dilemma

It's your wedding and you can pretty much do what suits you and Gill best Tony.
                                      It's not the same but I stood in for my father at my sisters wedding to give the 'welcome to the family' speech as he wasn't comfortable doing it.
                                      If you have groomsmen you could get one of them to stand in for the speech?

It's not really a big deal imo, don't be sweating it.
                                      Last edited by dannydiamond; 18-10-11, 11:46.
                                      We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Luckily for you Tony, I have no phobias about public speaking and would be happy to step up to the plate.

No need to thank me

Comment

Another preview for those awaiting Skyrim - how good does this sound?! http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-elder-s...1200569p1.html

Comment

Originally posted by markc View Post
                                            That's one of the best wedding stories I have ever heard. To really see it from his point of view though I think pics of said sister are required
                                            Yes but things were done differently back in Strewelpeters time, everyone had 10 siblings and if you fancied a bird you clubbed her over the head and dragged her home with you.

Comment

If sex with 3 people is a threesome and sex with 2 people is a twosome, now i understand why they call you handsome.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyHawk View Post
                                                If sex with 3 people is a threesome and sex with 2 people is a twosome, now i understand why they call you handsome.
                                                haha brilliant, never heard this one
                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Surely sex with 2 people would be a threesome, and sex with 3 people would be a foursome/gang bang.

Comment

Been listening to it since yesterday. Excellent stuff.
                                                    I think you might need to get your own password via invite.
                                                    I used the same code as someone else anyway so I just presumed everyone can use the same one, if it doesn't work for some people mail me and I'll send it on but I think it will
                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Funny exchange with a Boyles cashier earlier. Went into shop, some old dude was hogging the pricechecker machine trying to find virtual results or the like, anyway he wasn't going anywhere fast so I go up to the desk to enquire about a price.

Me: hey, what price are Manchester City to win to nil tonight please?

Cashier: 2-0??

Me: No, to nil

Him: We're saying the same thing

Me: No we're not, to nil, as in to win without conceeding!

Him: Jaysus we don't do shit like that, but 2-0 is 5/1

Me: nm
                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hurricane View Post
                                                        Surely sex with 2 people would be a threesome, and sex with 3 people would be a foursome/gang bang.
                                                        threesome, foresome, awesome - whatever

Comment

Originally posted by The Hurricane View Post

If sex involving 3 people is a threesome and sex involving 2 people is a twosome, now i understand why they call YOU handsome.
                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                            If sex involving 3 people is a threesome and sex involving 2 people is a twosome, now i understand why they call YOU handsome.
                                                            I doubt anyone has ever called you handsome in any sense of the word

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                              Funny exchange with a Boyles cashier earlier. Went into shop, some old dude was hogging the pricechecker machine trying to find virtual results or the like, anyway he wasn't going anywhere fast so I go up to the desk to enquire about a price.

Me: hey, what price are Manchester City to win to nil tonight please?

Cashier: 2-0??

Me: No, to nil

Him: We're saying the same thing

Me: No we're not, to nil, as in to win without conceeding!

Him: Jaysus we don't do shit like that, but 2-0 is 5/1

Me: nm
                                                              I have noticed apart from a few exceptions that PP staff tend to generally more knowledgeable than Boyles staff, they obv have a tougher hiring policy

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                I watch chuck
                                                                because it is awesome
                                                                I am getting a little bit sick of the show now and might give the new season a miss, there is some funny stuff in it but sometimes that isn't enough the cover up the tilt I get from watching it, Captain Awesome and Jeffster and pretty cool and also your woman Sarah ain't too bad either.

Gif of her from the upcoming Season

[NSFW="!"][/NSFW]
                                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Can anyone recommend a tv to buy? Preferably big, possibly flatscreen, just want some great value for money really - will use it for years so I'm splashing out! Plz and ty

and somewhere they come and install everything for me as I'm a lazy git

Figured there might be someone working in a tv store who can give me a discount too so why not ask here
                                                                    Last edited by mdoug; 18-10-11, 12:32.
                                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                      Another preview for those awaiting Skyrim - how good does this sound?! http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-elder-s...1200569p1.html
                                                                      I've never heard of this before (I'm very out of the loop gaming news wise), what are we looking at here? It looks to be a real throw back to the old school RPG? I may just go in and grab it if it is and it's on PS3, I doubt my PC could handle it.
                                                                      "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                        I've never heard of this before (I'm very out of the loop gaming news wise), what are we looking at here? It looks to be a real throw back to the old school RPG? I may just go in and grab it if it is and it's on PS3, I doubt my PC could handle it.
                                                                        It's the follow-up to Oblivion and before that Morrowind.

It's hugely free-form in the sense that there is a main story, but it only accounts for a tiny % of the overall game play.

You have a massive map, with tonnes of settlements, villages, towns etc, and a huge amount of NPCs who will ask you to help them by retrieving some item stolen by bandits, killing some guy for them, stealing something etc.

There are a load of different story arcs you can go on, joining Thieves' Guilds and things like that. Think GTA with swords and magic, only on a bigger scale.

Comment

came across that last week and was saving it...
                                                                          damn you
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

@Flushdraw

As most said you can do whatever you like, its your day. I was one of 5 groomsmen once and was asked to say a few words even though I wasn't the best man. Tell your bestman that you want him to do it but all he will have to do is read out a few cards and thank some peope. Tell some other mate you want him to do groomsman but with added responsibilities as you want him to do the speech. Get them both sitting at top table rather than calling someone up from the floor. It means Gill will need two bridesmaids, thats all.

Comment

Suppose what I'm saying is; I'm a lecturer, and on occasion i've thought about accepting bribes to allow people pass and this new found information has just opened up endless opportunities for me
                                                                              FYP

Comment

Quick thing on the acceptability of bribery.

Let's take a country with endemic bribery; say Russia. You literally can't go about your day-to-day life without bribing someone. Just a quick example:

- For the driving test. If you fail it, you can pay a bribe to still get the driving licence. The bribe is 5,000 roubles (about €130). Now the thing is, even if you pass it you still have to pay a bribe before they will process the paperwork, but to recognise your achievement they will only charge you a bribe of 2,500 roubles..
                                                                                sounds a bit like 'on the spot' fines for driving drunk in South Africa

the practice is that the cop tells you how many kids he has, you multiply by a hundred and give him that amount of Rand. Have been part of a couple of whiparounds for cops with implausibly large families.

Comment

@Kayroo

I was taking your side in an argument about judges pay referendum and was told by a mate
                                                                                  sure the lawyers and all swear allegiance to the crown.
                                                                                  I obviously told him to GTFO and laughed at him but he was pretty adamant.
                                                                                  Was I correct to make an ass of him?
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

@Kayroo

I was taking your side in an argument about judges pay referendum and was told by a mate
                                                                                    everyday the freemen on the land pollute our collective thought process.

Comment

@Kayroo

Your mate is a Freeman. He believes that the Bar stands for British Accredited Registry and that all barristers swear an oath of loyalty to the crown when they are called. I can assure you that's not true.

I am actually writing an article on their particular brand of lunacy. Some of the stuff they believe is unreal. Example: Your birth certificate is a commodity traded on a secret worldwide bond market in order to keep the USA from declaring bankruptcy in 1933. Their "proof" is that the birth certs are printed on bond paper.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                          Your mate is a Freeman. He believes that the Bar stands for British Accredited Registry and that all barristers swear an oath of loyalty to the crown when they are called. I can assure you that's not true.

I am actually writing an article on their particular brand of lunacy. Some of the stuff they believe is unreal. Example: Your birth certificate is a commodity traded on a secret worldwide bond market in order to keep the USA from declaring bankruptcy in 1933. Their "proof" is that the birth certs are printed on bond paper.
                                                                                          don't forget

1. Gold fringe on the flag representing maritime court
                                                                                          2. Your name in Caps on a birth certificate indicating you as a commodity separate from your actual self (hence the of the Family Suggs gobshitery)
                                                                                          3. Asking judges to produce their bond of office.

Comment

...

Comment

Zod you don't know the half of it mate.

Comment

Zod you don't know the half of it mate.
                                                                                                I actually do.

FmotL is something I've been following for several years.

Comment

Why type of Tablet would people recommend for an 9 year old?

The person is looking to spend Approx €200

Comment

Ritalin

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                      I actually do.

FmotL is something I've been following for several years.
                                                                                                      PM me your email and I'll send you on a draft of my article if you like. I'd appreciate any thoughts if you've been that into the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                                                                                        Why type of Tablet would people recommend for an 9 year old?

The person is looking to spend Approx €200

Thats 249 would be well worth stretching to 299 for the loads more memory in this IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                          It's the follow-up to Oblivion and before that Morrowind.

It's hugely free-form in the sense that there is a main story, but it only accounts for a tiny % of the overall game play.

You have a massive map, with tonnes of settlements, villages, towns etc, and a huge amount of NPCs who will ask you to help them by retrieving some item stolen by bandits, killing some guy for them, stealing something etc.

There are a load of different story arcs you can go on, joining Thieves' Guilds and things like that. Think GTA with swords and magic, only on a bigger scale.
                                                                                                          Excellent, thanks. The first two seem to be going quite cheap, may pick 'em both up and see I'm liking them first.
                                                                                                          "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

PM me your email and I'll send you on a draft of my article if you like. I'd appreciate any thoughts if you've been that into the topic.
                                                                                                            on the way.

Before the Tir na Saoire site there was a old site focussing on using Brehon Law in conjunction with the Freemen argument. I lost the link and the page seems to have disappeared. pity as it was a treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                                                              Excellent, thanks. The first two seem to be going quite cheap, may pick 'em both up and see I'm liking them first.
                                                                                                              Be aware that Morrowind, though many peoples' favourite over Oblivion, hasn't aged particularly well IMO and because it was made without voice actors there's an awful lot of text to read.

Oblivion would probably be the one to go for as it's a lot more accessible and you've got no shot of doing anything beyond skimming the surface if you get both before 11/11/11.

If you go for Oblivion on the PC be sure to add in a few mods for it, they really improve the game hugely IMO. The ones from that list that are most important are 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 9.

Comment

Greece is like that Scrappy character from Scooby Doo. Just so filled with endless optimism that striking will eventually work if you just continue to do it even if it has always failed and, in fact, only worsened the problem. Got to love the boundless doomed enthusiasm - Go get'em lil Scrappy!

Two days of all-out strikes announced in Greece

I think the Greeks are crazy, it seems their actions are designed to antagonize their Northern European 'brothers' who hold the purse-strings and might like to let them loose if they keep up their messin'!

WSOPE news / sickness, John O'Shea out: http://www.pokernews.com/live-report...hips.15682.htm

Comment

currently working on a submission to a local authority to make a large development compliant with conditions of permission issued a few years ago which will in turn make that development legit which will in turn make people who agreed to purchase these units about 4 years ago have to go throught with that original agreement. Feels dirty...

Comment

WSOPE news / sickness, John O'Shea out: http://www.pokernews.com/live-report...hips.15682.htm
                                                                                                                    that is pretty sick, would like to see how that played out pre and flop

Comment

Soooooooooo excited about Skyrim, will make a lack of gainful employment such a boon! Will almost be upset if it transpired I get to keep the job actually, will all the stuff I've been thinking about doing over the next two months, gaming, pokering, TV series watching

Decided not to buy a new PC for Skyrim / Battlefield 3 though, have upgraded my graphics card instead (to a HD 6850 1Gb) and will eke another 12 months out of my current PC as a result. Arkham City is out today as well, its predecessor was the GOTY in my opinion and the early reviews for this have been extremely extremely positive. Probably won't pick it up until after Christmas though, still have loads of games to finish before even starting Skyrim and Battlefield!
                                                                                                                      Spill the beans lads,

cheapest & guaranteed to deliver on the 11th website details please
                                                                                                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                                        Spill the beans lads,

cheapest & guaranteed to deliver on the 11th website details please
                                                                                                                        warez-bb

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                          warez-bb
                                                                                                                          lol, unfortunately I'm purely console only. Don't really have the room for a proper gaming rig unless I set it up in a room other than the sitting room and that's a little too isolationist for me.

Xbox360 will have to do.
                                                                                                                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X