Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judging by the people I know with PhDs in science, plenty of them are offered the gig as young bright but native students. They're not told anything of the pipeline at the end. They finish up expecting to get roles in line with their education level, and usually all they can get in their area is a 30k post-doc spot if they're lucky.
    Last edited by Denny Crane; 14-12-22, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

That’s a bit of a misleading summary of the article. Sinovac can be effective, if enough doses are given. But at 1 dose it’s about half as effective based on that article. Article also confirms that elderly in China are insufficiently vaccinated.

Hopefully its three and done. The idea of an annual top up for the covid season is a bit disheartening.
      Three and done, heh. I've had 5 now. I'm on medication that has me in the immunocompromised category, so get a booster every 4-6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Why did you want to own a house again?
        I have no idea, I looked at the design spec for my air to water system now and it shouldn't even be used to heat the house, just the domestic water. They've used the second heat source valve (say if somebody had solar to augment the heating) to instead steal heat from the water tank and sent it to the rest of the house, which will be massively inefficient. Can of worms I don't even want to open. Houses, don't get one.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Hi

where are u based
          Loughlinstown/Cherrywood

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I have no idea, I looked at the design spec for my air to water system now and it shouldn't even be used to heat the house, just the domestic water. They've used the second heat source valve (say if somebody had solar to augment the heating) to instead steal heat from the water tank and sent it to the rest of the house, which will be massively inefficient. Can of worms I don't even want to open. Houses, don't get one.
            Ah it'll fade away as a worry soon. Surprised though that the surveyed didn't see these things.

It does though suggest some of the advantages with apartments, where if anything goes wrong its nearly always up to someone else to fix.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
              Judging by the people I know with PhDs in science, plenty of them are offered the gig as young bright but native students. They're not told anything of the pipeline at the end. They finish up expecting to get roles in line with their education level, and usually all they can get in their area is a 30k post-doc spot if they're lucky.
              yikes. pay really hasn't kept up with the general rise in pay at all. I was initially minded to disagree with you about the pay for postdocs as it seems too low, but then remembered that my own post-doc hiree is being paid around that

The key to getting into an education job afterwards is to do a PhD in an area with lots of postgrad teaching. Any discipline that relies on research grants will only be able to offer fixed term contracts as the grant itself is fixed term, and any discipline that relies on undergrad teaching already has all the faculty they need. Its only for postgrad teaching, as its 'external funding', that you can get permission to create additional posts for those PhD graduates to be hired into.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I don't think the government exercises editorial control over RTE. But nice try.
                .......yeah, and Twitter doesn't blacklist the unwoke .

Hitch must be appalled he wasn't shadow banned.
                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

IRC Postdocs pay 40k now which isn't TOO bad and corresponds with the IUA researcher salary scale, but they're extremely difficult to get. It was, I think 30k when I get one in 2008 and I only took it as I was able to get it topped up a bit from another grant.
                  PhD stipends are really bad. €1500 tax free a month. How does anyone have any kind of life on that. I got €1200 back in 2002-2005 ffs.
                  I've a Mexican student visiting at the moment and he's sharing a room with 3 other people, in a house with 10, all paying €500 a month near Croke Park. Next level grimness.

Comment

Is 6 months of the Irish Times worth €6-? Surely 6 months of my usage data has to be worth more than that to some analytics \ AI training boffins?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                      IRC Postdocs pay 40k now which isn't TOO bad and corresponds with the IUA researcher salary scale, but they're extremely difficult to get. It was, I think 30k when I get one in 2008 and I only took it as I was able to get it topped up a bit from another grant.
                      PhD stipends are really bad. €1500 tax free a month. How does anyone have any kind of life on that. I got €1200 back in 2002-2005 ffs.
                      I've a Mexican student visiting at the moment and he's sharing a room with 3 other people, in a house with 10, all paying €500 a month near Croke Park. Next level grimness.
                      My young lad had a summer job working the night shift in a book depository (skoolb00ks.ie). €25- an hour. Would be around €48k gross PA.

Comment

Min wage needs to be forced upwards and force everything up, plenty of companies paying a pittance like €22k-€25k to people starting out in professional environments.

Comment

I don't think the government exercises editorial control over RTE. But nice try.
                          They most certainly do. Its just that you, like me, largely agree with that editorial control, and so don't even think of it as control. There's a ridic number of things the gov has decided that RTE can and can't say. Worst is probably the 'need for balance' that means that even an obviously good idea must be allowed to be opposed in the interests of balance. Something which is regulated and enforced by the government through the BAI. But there's loads more editorial control.

Comment

it's not supposed to 100% stop you getting covid. It's supposed to teach your immune system how to handle it, and thus protect you from the worst effects. At which the MRNA vaccines have been super-successful.
                            Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

vaccines weren't meant to prevent infection! they were meant to reduce the severity of infection.
                            Cheers, I reckon I was thinking about the vaccine in terms of the Polio vaccine or Smallpox vaccine etc, which pretty much guaranteed you won't get the disease.
                            And that therefore the Covid vaccine had been a moderate failure when so many people got Covid. Clearly my understanding of what the word 'vaccine' means was wrong.
                            Don't worry, not going on an anti-vaccine rant. Would get jabbed again, especially if it entails an afternoon off work.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1728546&d=1671033616&type=thumb Great pic. The moody blues and the Beatles .

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

vaccines weren't meant to prevent infection! they were meant to reduce the severity of infection.
                                Pretty sure that mantra was retro-fitted after they realised that they were useless at preventing transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Pretty sure that mantra was retro-fitted after they realised that they were useless at preventing transmission.
                                  what would you know science-boy.

Comment

Flu vaccines don't prevent against getting the flu, just lesson its effects, no? so can't imagine how there would have been a belief that another similar type of flu would be prevented by a vaccine. but its all a hazy memory.

Comment

Madame Bovary
                                      East of Eden
                                      Anna Karenina
                                      Would you recommend them? In what order?

Comment

Hi

ill message u a number of a lad in that general area

Comment

There's a mad variation in temperatures on the island over the next day or so. 0 degrees or so in Dublin in the afternoon - move the MetEireann map locator about 40km inland and suddenly its the frozen tundra of siberia, except with more supermacs outlets.
                                          Never dropped below 17 overnight here..walking into class this morning it was 20 at 9.45. God bless global warming
                                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Yeah it's pretty grim. I've ran into two quite talented ex-scientists recently who left the industry for this very reason. One is a customer service team lead for a tech company for nearly double the scientist/research biochem role (protein analysis/synthesis). Unfortunately I can't remember the others new gig. However they both had the common semtiment of being disillusioned with the sector. The grá they once had was displaced by bitterness.

I've relative who became a literary scholar/acadmic type and is in 3rd level full time abroad as a lecturer/fellow (I describe him that way as tbh I don't understand well enough what he does). Great guy, massively intelligent and down to earth. He's had pretty cool opportunities to live and work abroad most of his career. I vividly remember a conversation I had about him with an older relative a few years back. "That lad is some waste of oxygen.... If I had his ability.... " - pure blissful jealousy and ignorance. Tbf I couldn't imagine him working in any other type of situation.

On your PhD point above. If those guys had applied their talents with similar dedication to finance/tech/business roles, they'd be minted or in very comfy gigs. Horses for courses though. I'm a failed science dropout and moderately accomplished IT professional so what do I know .

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

Never dropped below 17 overnight here..walking into class this morning it was 20 at 9.45. God bless global warming
                                              Interestingly enough if you wanted to play the climate change denier \ devils advocate, the highest temperature ever recorded in Ireland was 33.3 °C at Kilkenny Castle, on 26 June 1887. The lowest temperature was -19.1 °C at Markree Castle on 16 January 1881.

You wouldn't last long though as 6 of the warmest ten years in Ireland have occurred since 1990.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I vividly remember a conversation I had about him with an older relative a few years back. "That lad is some waste of oxygen.... If I had his ability.... " - pure blissful jealousy and ignorance. Tbf I couldn't imagine him working in any other type of situation.

Edit: ah, I see I misunderstood the direction of the insults. But elder abuse is real in academia!

Its baked into the system. First few years you learn from the older academics and think 'if only I could be like them', then you rapidly move towards viewing them as people with extremely redundant ideas who are taking your position. Probably easy enough to transfer that mindset out of academia without realising it. Of course, those people at the top got there by once having great ideas, and they tend to be too arrogant, or caught in the past, to realise that their day of frontier innovation is done. Hard to be a happy research academic really.
                                                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 14-12-22, 17:19.

Comment

Yeah it's pretty grim. I've ran into two quite talented ex-scientists recently who left the industry for this very reason. One is a customer service team lead for a tech company for nearly double the scientist/research biochem role (protein analysis/synthesis). Unfortunately I can't remember the others new gig. However they both had the common semtiment of being disillusioned with the sector. The grá they once had was displaced by bitterness.

I've relative who became a literary scholar/acadmic type and is in 3rd level full time abroad as a lecturer/fellow (I describe him that way as tbh I don't understand well enough what he does). Great guy, massively intelligent and down to earth. He's had pretty cool opportunities to live and work abroad most of his career. I vividly remember a conversation I had about him with an older relative a few years back. "That lad is some waste of oxygen.... If I had his ability.... " - pure blissful jealousy and ignorance. Tbf I couldn't imagine him working in any other type of situation.

On your PhD point above. If those guys had applied their talents with similar dedication to finance/tech/business roles, they'd be minted or in very comfy gigs. Horses for courses though. I'm a failed science dropout and moderately accomplished IT professional so what do I know .
                                                  A lot of these people don't care about money too, my bro was offered 100k+ out of college and said no way, 9 to 5 is death to him, research and intellectual curiosity is everything, only job he took was at an Oxford Peace/War think tank. Much happier sitting in a cafe working on his laptop for whatever crap money than a traditional job. At the same time people need to eat, a researcher physicist friend was essentially designing and leading some of the NHS response to covid with his models (as a side gig for the craic!!) and is paid a pittance, meanwhile a pal of mine in their mid twenties on over 100k in finance and they barely have two brain cells to rub together, but because they work close to the boring numbers they get more of the numbers.
                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 14-12-22, 17:28.

Comment

Is anyone having trouble buying books for kindle?

I'm getting wrong country errors on the couple I've tried. Haven't changed my card, country or address details in ages. Tbf it's been a while since I bought a kindle book too.

Comment

Theatre patrons.

Just saw that great Mormon musical. 37 brides for 7 brothers .

Comment

Is anyone having trouble buying books for kindle?

I'm getting wrong country errors on the couple I've tried. Haven't changed my card, country or address details in ages. Tbf it's been a while since I bought a kindle book too.
                                                        They definitely changed something a few months back. Think you have to buy through the website and then it gets delivered to your kindle

Comment

I have a house question. We got a new front door fitted. It came out on the old porch, meaning we are now missing a step, so need new cement steps done on the outside. I'm coming up quite short on googling it, as simply 'cement steps' is giving loads of irrelevant answers, mainly industrial or on a much grander scale than simply turning one step into two steps. What's the name of the profession that would fit new cement steps?

Comment

They definitely changed something a few months back. Think you have to buy through the website and then it gets delivered to your kindle
                                                            I know it's blocked on the android app as google want 30% royalties. It doesn't work on the regular desktop webpage either. That country error keeps appearing.

Hesitant to flute around with it in case it breaks my prime tv settings.

Comment

Properly frozen solid this am by my completely unscientific metric (walking the hideous hound of hell around St Annes. Well, I walk and she rampages).

One somewhat ironic outcome of all this may be that the planned rugby weekend may be inverted. Dublin lads going to Belfast to watch rugby and do the usual shenanigans but the rugby match may potentially be switched to Dublin. We may go to Belfast to watch Ulster play rugby on TV in Dublin.
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Went to lunch yesterday at 2, got home at 2.

Although that did include an hour talking shite to Padraig P at the bar in the Aquarium as I waited in vain for a seat at a cash table. Small sample size but every time I've gone in there lately, there's been one cash game that resolutely refuses to bust anyone out.

Comment

I have a house question. We got a new front door fitted. It came out on the old porch, meaning we are now missing a step, so need new cement steps done on the outside. I'm coming up quite short on googling it, as simply 'cement steps' is giving loads of irrelevant answers, mainly industrial or on a much grander scale than simply turning one step into two steps. What's the name of the profession that would fit new cement steps?
                                                                  I haven't used it myself but I found taskmatch .ie recently when looking for something else and it looks like it would be ideal for those kind of small jobs. If you use it, let me know how you get on!

Comment

A small handyman be what u need if you want a step or two put in
                                                                    a Ramp might be better as u get into the latter stages of your successful career

Comment

Comment

A story from 10 years in the future. Amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post

I haven't used it myself but I found taskmatch .ie recently when looking for something else and it looks like it would be ideal for those kind of small jobs. If you use it, let me know how you get on!
                                                                          Perfect. Posted the task there!

Comment

Tell me the best way to cure a hangover, in the style of Groucho Marx
                                                                            The best way to cure a hangover in the style of Groucho Marx would be to take a healthy dose of humor and self-deprecation. After all, as Groucho himself famously quipped, "I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception." So, even if you're feeling terrible the morning after a night of heavy drinking, try to see the humor in your situation and remember that you're not alone. A good laugh and a positive attitude can go a long way towards making you feel better.

Comment

My aunt was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer a few months ago. The same thing that wiped out my uncle, her husband, in short time a few years back. She's on some new drug, just made available in Ireland - a whopping cost of €100k, paid by the HSE - and seemingly it has done wonders, massive positive effects on getting the cancer to retreat. Her son is a medical researcher, working on drug experiments in a pharma company, and he has been following the charts, so doesn't seem like something anecdotal where she 'thinks she's grand', but rather real gain from the drug. That's for a cancer that has a usual 25% 5-year survival rate. Now, there's a fair bit of time left in those five years, but you love to see the medical progress all the same.

Comment

€600 to lay the new steps, with reconstituted granite provided, is the offer received. I have literally no way of knowing if that is outrageous or the bargain of a lifetime.

Comment

€600 to lay the new steps, with reconstituted granite provided, is the offer received. I have literally no way of knowing if that is outrageous or the bargain of a lifetime.
                                                                                  No idea, but my dad with no prior experience went out and made a cement staircase down to our garden like it was nothing, I guess it was like 6 or 8 feet of stairs vertically. No idea how people have knowledge of stuff without googling, he'd just buy some bags of cement and have at it. Oh we need a new septic tank? I'll just get a shovel and put one in.
                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 15-12-22, 13:22.

Comment

Presumably that's one guy, for one day? I'l actually be getting the same job done myself once the retrofit is done so if your guy is the king of the step refitters, you may send him northwards.

Comment

Current rates it’s a good days wages
                                                                                      i will have granite 1mt steps in early February if you want to wait
                                                                                      just get someone to do the prep work and lay the new threads
                                                                                      let me know if that helps

Comment

Feel like out of Irish poker builders. Might need to get myself a house.

Comment

Feel like out of Irish poker builders. Might need to get myself a house.
                                                                                          Tar.Aldarion has one he can sell you for a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Tar.Aldarion has one he can sell you for a reasonable price.
                                                                                            Ow. Poor fecker is really on a run tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Current rates it’s a good days wages
                                                                                              i will have granite 1mt steps in early February if you want to wait
                                                                                              just get someone to do the prep work and lay the new threads
                                                                                              let me know if that helps
                                                                                              Ah you're very good. But I booked it impulsively. So let's see what turns up.

Comment

Anyone use that Guinness Nitro?

Have heard good reports.
                                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Ow. Poor fecker is really on a run tbf.
                                                                                                  After the latest engineer visit yesterday can now have heating upstairs or downstairs, but not both at the same time. Presumably anyway, as it takes days to heat a house on air to water in this weather, when you need it most, so really one area is slightly less freezing than the other. It'll never properly heat with just half the system on anyway. Hope you don't want to use a shower after washing the dishes as the water is then too cold, ah you don't want to use the shower anyway as it's leaking onto the kitchen ceiling. Standard A rated Irish new build.

Enjoy Denny.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 15-12-22, 20:17.

Comment

Jesus that's shit Tar.

Heat the downstairs anyway. You're spending most of your time there, and the rising heat will warm upstairs.

Comment

Cheers, I spend most of my time upstairs and my gf spends most of her time downstairs, so I have the downstairs on since last night when he fixed it, seems nearly bearable down there now but nowhere near hot enough to be comfortable or pass the heat anywhere else. Jesus Christ having upstairs off now is freezing. Seems like a system that may work well when all running but is really abysmal when it's not, and also very hard to tell if it is even working properly when it's on, like no idea how fast it should heat the space from cold etc, and the hot water running out is a new one as of today too. Good times.

Comment

@Tar, balfejohn might be able to sort you out with an inexpensive exorcist.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

After the latest engineer visit yesterday can now have heating upstairs or downstairs, but not both at the same time. Presumably anyway, as it takes days to heat a house on air to water in this weather, when you need it most, so really one area is slightly less freezing than the other. It'll never properly heat with just half the system on anyway. Hope you don't want to use a shower after washing the dishes as the water is then too cold, ah you don't want to use the shower anyway as it's leaking onto the kitchen ceiling. Standard A rated Irish new build.

Enjoy Denny.
                                                                                                          Get a fucking electric heater you hipster noob .
                                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

This should superpower the popularity of my NFT book.

Comment

It's mind bogglingly embarrassing

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

That Trump thing is so bad, it might be good.

Possibly overthinking it though.

Comment

That Trump thing is so bad, it might be good.

Possibly overthinking it though.
                                                                                                                    He already looks like a caricature of himself IRL, this takes it to a new comical level (and I did laugh)

"Better than Lincoln, better than Washington" ...he simply can't help himself

How about dinner with Melania!

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                                      How about dinner with Melania!
                                                                                                                      If the price was right, I'm sure DJT would deal.

Comment

The Musk banning thing is slightly funny.

Comment

The broke'imon reference is genius . Spewed my Sambos .

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X