This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
    My spidey like reflexes were put to use this morning as the 6 year old was trying out a bit of ol projectile vomiting.
    3 year old awake from 2 - 5:30 vomiting. 3 bed clothes changes later downstairs we went where he puked several more times. Slept for a few hours before waking and then puking again downstairs. Mostly yellow bile after the first couple during the night. Won't eat or drink anything, even water. Back in bed again. Having kids is great craic.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Just because something wasn't deeply frozen for days on end very close to the coast doesn't mean there wasn't severe freezes elsewhere. Hardly a spell of weather for the ages, but the coldest 10 days of weather in general in a good while in most places.
      not buying it. the lived reality of raoul and his dog takes priority here as its a more vivid recollection.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Jaysus , again very Harsh. You'll be found out .
        I say it affectionately. Would love to put a GPS tracker on her in the mornings and see the distance she covers, would imagine it's 20km at least (off the lead obv).
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Don't complain, definitely a good 5-6 degrees less cold\warmer out there today thanks to those sweet, fluffy little adorable clouds...
          It's not the heat that gets ya, it's the humidity
          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

3 year old awake from 2 - 5:30 vomiting. 3 bed clothes changes later downstairs we went where he puked several more times. Slept for a few hours before waking and then puking again downstairs. Mostly yellow bile after the first couple during the night. Won't eat or drink anything, even water. Back in bed again. Having kids is great craic.
            Think of it as investment now that will pay off in a puke-free Xmas.

Comment

I say it affectionately. Would love to put a GPS tracker on her in the mornings and see the distance she covers, would imagine it's 20km at least (off the lead obv).
              If i even tried to put a GPS tracker on my missus there would be harsh words. You belong in the 70s. (If they had Gps trackers)

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

not buying it. the lived reality of raoul and his dog takes priority here as its a more vivid recollection.

Ahh his dog ? i misread that one

Comment

Reading Money by Martin Amis at the moment. Its some book - a while since a novel quite gripped me for its inventiveness.
                  That's been on my to -read list for at least a decade.

I read Madame Bovary recently. Realised that my last three fiction books were:

Madame Bovary
                  East of Eden
                  Anna Karenina

All the generally viewed as the magnum opus of their respective authors

But more importantly

SPOILER

Coincidentally the main plot is all three is: newly married deeply unhappy unsatisfied woman commits adultery, destroys her family, commits suicide.

Probably a lesson to be learned there.

Comment

Think of it as investment now that will pay off in a puke-free Xmas.
                    It's surely my turn to puke at Christmas. As long as it is from over indulgence rather than illness, that's ok.

Comment

It's surely my turn to puke at Christmas. As long as it is from over indulgence rather than illness, that's ok.
                      Speaking of which, the Strewel Super-Salami landed with a thud on my kitchen counter earlier today. One of the salamis is over 40cm long.

Comment

In the UK in a lab so just catching up. @Hitch: Nuclear stuff looks promising...could be only 20 years away now! Wind based green H2 seems to be about 15-20 years from being cost comparable with fossils. Just got 250k from the gubberment to work on part of it. Literally giving money away on this stuff....Wrote the proposal in 2 days...any of the stuff that makes sense and I work had on never gets funded

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                          In the UK in a lab so just catching up. @Hitch: Nuclear stuff looks promising...could be only 20 years away now! Wind based green H2 seems to be about 15-20 years from being cost comparable with fossils. Just got 250k from the gubberment to work on part of it. Literally giving money away on this stuff....Wrote the proposal in 2 days...any of the stuff that makes sense and I work had on never gets funded
                          The SFI ROI must be shocking. Surely most of the research is being duplicated across Europe and around the world.

I used to work for a research agency. PIs on a merry go round of proposal-funding-project-paper with nothing happening after that like maybe a viable start up. Ridiculous sums of money spent. Has this improved at all?
                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

When you see places like the one I'm at, you realise that research in Ireland doesn't really exist. Just playing around in the sand pit. The agenda seems to be 'get PhD students out....advertise our educated workforce....repeat' (probably actually delivers a decent ROI for the country?). No such thing as career researcher in Ireland pretty much, and they're the ones the bring continuity while the likes of myself are caught up in the merry go round you describe.

Comment

Boilergeddon update. I just found out the boiler guy left the immersion on two weeks ago and can see that we've spent an extra €300-€400. Our water is hot all the time anyways, so paying €20-€30 a day for the immersion to do nothing. Meanwhile we've been freezing our asses off with no heating. Lesson learned to always check after somebody has been in, I'm not telling my parents about this. Also immersion must be busted, water is already hot so why is it taking so much electricity.

Comment

When you see places like the one I'm at, you realise that research in Ireland doesn't really exist. Just playing around in the sand pit. The agenda seems to be 'get PhD students out....advertise our educated workforce....repeat' (probably actually delivers a decent ROI for the country?). No such thing as career researcher in Ireland pretty much, and they're the ones the bring continuity while the likes of myself are caught up in the merry go round you describe.
                                YEah my exes got chemistry/physics phds and then were like I guess I'll just die then. Nobody has the ability to stay here, hence my bro going to Netherlands, UK and US.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                  We are in Dublin.
                                  ​​​​​​Thanks be to fuck
                                  ​​​​​​.
                                  ​​​​​​
                                  Give us a Trip Report when you feel able to laugh about it.

Hope you get plenty of good Belgian Christmas beer inside you at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

That's been on my to -read list for at least a decade.

I read Madame Bovary recently. Realised that my last three fiction books were:

Madame Bovary
                                    East of Eden
                                    Anna Karenina

All the generally viewed as the magnum opus of their respective authors

But more importantly

SPOILER

Coincidentally the main plot is all three is: newly married deeply unhappy unsatisfied woman commits adultery, destroys her family, commits suicide.

Probably a lesson to be learned there.
                                    Money is one of my favourite books, incredible prose.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                      Boilergeddon update. I just found out the boiler guy left the immersion on two weeks ago and can see that we've spent an extra €300-€400. Our water is hot all the time anyways, so paying €20-€30 a day for the immersion to do nothing. Meanwhile we've been freezing our asses off with no heating. Lesson learned to always check after somebody has been in, I'm not telling my parents about this. Also immersion must be busted, water is already hot so why is it taking so much electricity.
                                      Why did you want to own a house again?

Comment

I broke ChatGPT asking for "Insightful football analysis in the style of Ronnie Whelan".

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                          I broke ChatGPT asking for "Insightful football analysis in the style of Ronnie Whelan".
                                          Has he mentioned how badly the ref treated England.

Comment

Is that really a penalty?

Forward ran into the keeper if anything imo.

Comment

Is that really a penalty?

Forward ran into the keeper if anything imo.
                                              Stonewall peno. Forward was in possession.

Comment

Stonewall peno. Forward was in possession.
                                                Fluffed his shot imo. Not like he had the ball at his feet.

Comment

I will defer to whatever the RTE experts say.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Yeah, I'd say its the resulting PhD students who go out into the workforce that is the effective ROI, given the amount of FDI R&D that supports in the pharma and IT sectors. Well even in finance, most finance PhDs now go into industry. Nothing wrong with it as a strategy, I guess. But to genuinely see research outcomes we probably need effective mergers with other international institutions on research.

Comment

Reading Money by Martin Amis at the moment. Its some book - a while since a novel quite gripped me for its inventiveness.
                                                        Ordered, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Was kinda fun for a while after he took over, from a popcorn pov but it's turned to putrid shit recently. Am waiting for somewhere new to jump to.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Was kinda fun for a while after he took over, from a popcorn pov but it's turned to putrid shit recently. Am waiting for somewhere new to jump to.

Ah, I think we'll all still be there in a years time. He'll probably end up selling it for $1 to some NGO.
                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

ah there's not going to be anything new. the firstmover benefits are real. witness all the gobshites wasting their time setting up mastodon accounts and then coming back to twitter shocked that someone would ever dream of setting up something as mindnumbingly stupid as mastodon. It was always putrid shit, you're just noticing it more now

Comment

Would be a win for democracy and journalism if Twitter went under
                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

ah there's not going to be anything new. the firstmover benefits are real. witness all the gobshites wasting their time setting up mastodon accounts and then coming back to twitter shocked that someone would ever dream of setting up something as mindnumbingly stupid as mastodon. It was always putrid shit, you're just noticing it more now
                                                                  IMO it is the best of social media, provided you have a good personal filter. If you don't have a good personal filter and can't choose what nonsense (to you) to ignore then sort that out first.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                    Would be a win for democracy and journalism if Twitter went under
                                                                    I don't agree with this. At all. NYT and WSJ narrative on SBF ? It is all biased in some way. Mainstream reporting of Musk taking over twitter had me discount them completely. Twitter has all biases thankfully. And we can choose to curate those we trust.

Alternatively, you could keep reading whatever official newsprint you find aligned with your bias..... and slowly or quickly lose touch with the real world.

Comment

Wpt dream is over. 2 coolers with a set v nut straight and then top.straight v a house did the damage. All in.with top pair v flush draw finished me off. Gg

Comment

It seems - a mere year after everyone else - that *tentatively* China has listened to those protests and everything is essentially over, once they let the wave of covid run through the population. A net positive for global economic growth.
                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 14-12-22, 09:55.

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

Alternatively, you could keep reading whatever official newsprint you find aligned with your bias..... and slowly or quickly lose touch with the real world.
                                                                          That's a great line and happening all too often with some people in my life.
                                                                          Last edited by Silver-Tiger; 14-12-22, 10:45.

Comment

I think average normie was a lot more in touch with the real world before social media allowed them to curate their own newsfeeds tbh

Comment

It seems - a mere year after everyone else - that *tentatively* China has listened to those protests and everything is essentially over, once they let the wave of covid run through the population. A net positive for global economic growth.
                                                                              they have 100 million people over the age of 60 who don't even have the crappy Chinese vaccine

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                I think average normie was a lot more in touch with the real world before social media allowed them to curate their own newsfeeds tbh
                                                                                The free exchange of opinions and ideas is a great concept until you realize how shit a lot of both are
                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

they have 100 million people over the age of 60 who don't even have the crappy Chinese vaccine
                                                                                  yeah - lets see what happens. But omicron, or whatever the current variant is, is mild enough that it doesn't seem to be that big a deal. Plus, its kinda really on those unvaccinated elderly - that they haven't vaccinated themselves three years into a freaking pandemic. Some element of personal responsibility surely.

Comment

There's a mad variation in temperatures on the island over the next day or so. 0 degrees or so in Dublin in the afternoon - move the MetEireann map locator about 40km inland and suddenly its the frozen tundra of siberia, except with more supermacs outlets.

Comment

yeah - lets see what happens. But omicron, or whatever the current variant is, is mild enough that it doesn't seem to be that big a deal. Plus, its kinda really on those unvaccinated elderly - that they haven't vaccinated themselves three years into a freaking pandemic. Some element of personal responsibility surely.
                                                                                      FT tracker of vaccinations here. Percentage-wise China has 7th highest percentage of population fully vaccinated.

This from The Economist, says that there isn't really much difference between effectiveness of the main Chinese vaccine and the mRNA vaccine, provided that enough shots of the Chinese vaccine are given. Needs three shots of the Sinovac vaccine, which is what most people have, and it is exactly as effective as the Western mRNA vaccine.

Comment

The civil war Documentary on RTE is very good. Heartbreaking but fascinating. What utter idiots they were . Their own kind . Opinions eh?

Comment

How effective were our vaccines anyway?
                                                                                          Half the people in my admittedly small sample size of family/friends/work seemed to get Covid (Omicron) sometime between March and July this year.

Comment

Or (similar to the trends in other dictatorships like Russia), they really, really don't trust their government. With good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

YEah my exes got chemistry/physics phds and then were like I guess I'll just die then. Nobody has the ability to stay here, hence my bro going to Netherlands, UK and US.
                                                                                              My sister has 1:1 BSc and MSc for some Bio/LifeScience stuff. Top student for the undergrad and some other merit in the MSc. She couldn't get a job that paid more than 31k including a shift work top-up. It's lab-based work and has little scope to progress. Needs a move after 1-2 years which is now up. Where is all of this money in BioPharma/Life Sciences actually going? Like the stuff she knows and can work on is pretty fucking cool. The impacts of it could really improve patients' quality of life or recovery - clinic trials, various new reagent testing and drug analysis. The stuff I do is absolute bollix by comparison. My gig is literally pure shite talk for meetings and telling a business why basic tech/system can't do X but Y is what you actually need to do. Then getting someone to do Y for me.

I've a mate who was lecturing full time in NL in a well-known technical uni's computer science faculty. He was on decent but not life-changing money. Happy to plug away with some research papers and a book in the background, with a view to going Sr Prof etc down the line... However, the straw that broke the camel's back was a PhD grad of his getting their first job in the industry. The lad got a gig with one of the FAANGS as an engineer in the UK and obliterated my mate's academic salary. Hence my mate is now full-time running a division in a small tech company and (very) part-time lecturing at the same uni. Much better compensated and less stressed dealing with uni politics plus students on the daily.

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

I don't agree with this. At all. NYT and WSJ narrative on SBF ? It is all biased in some way. Mainstream reporting of Musk taking over twitter had me discount them completely. Twitter has all biases thankfully. And we can choose to curate those we trust.

The bias in the mainstream print media exists, but it is relatively mild. “Casual Rascism Weekly” just wouldn’t get the traction or circulation to warp any one’s view.
                                                                                                But on the vile cesspit of the internet, any old shit can float off to a corner and survive - and the flies can choose exactly which piles if shit they can land on.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                  Half the people in my admittedly small sample size of family/friends/work seemed to get Covid (Omicron) sometime between March and July this year.
                                                                                                  it's not supposed to 100% stop you getting covid. It's supposed to teach your immune system how to handle it, and thus protect you from the worst effects. At which the MRNA vaccines have been super-successful.

Comment

Percentage-wise China has 7th highest percentage of population fully vaccinated.
                                                                                                    Which sounds great until you realise that the elderly, unlike in our sphere, are disproportionally unvaccinated. And they're the ones who die.

Comment

Or (similar to the trends in other dictatorships like Russia), they really, really don't trust their government. With good reason.
                                                                                                      But its the seventh most vaccinated country in the world. As the FT data link above shows. So, does that mean they actually do trust their government more? Or do you need to flip-flop and say, well actually what you meant was that people will get vaccinated more out of fear of the consequences of not being vaccinated.

Comment

Also, comparing trust of leaders in a highly individualist state like Russia with trust in a highly collectivist state like China, is pretty much like saying that cultural values don't exist

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                          vaccines weren't meant to prevent infection! they were meant to reduce the severity of infection.

Comment

it's not supposed to 100% stop you getting covid. It's supposed to teach your immune system how to handle it, and thus protect you from the worst effects. At which the MRNA vaccines have been super-successful.
                                                                                                            As I linked above to the Economist article, there's no difference between MRNA and 'traditional vaccines', in effectiveness at preventing serious illness. They are both excellent and equivalent, providing a booster is given. Which is good news as traditional vaccines are far easier to develop, and particularly useful for distribution in developing countries due to the lack of need to store at super-cold temperatures.

Comment

I find it funny that we are horrified that the Russians and Chinese get their news from a 'state sponsored broadcaster' when we have gotten ours for years from RTE and the BBC.

Comment

As I linked above to the Economist article, there's no difference between MRNA and 'traditional vaccines', in effectiveness at preventing serious illness. They are both excellent and equivalent, providing a booster is given. Which is good news as traditional vaccines are far easier to develop, and particularly useful for distribution in developing countries due to the lack of need to store at super-cold temperatures.
                                                                                                                That’s a bit of a misleading summary of the article. Sinovac can be effective, if enough doses are given. But at 1 dose it’s about half as effective based on that article. Article also confirms that elderly in China are insufficiently vaccinated.

Hopefully its three and done. The idea of an annual top up for the covid season is a bit disheartening.

Comment

Is someone on here a plumber or can recommend one? Looking to get a quote on moving a radiator from one side of a room to another

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                                    Is someone on here a plumber or can recommend one? Looking to get a quote on moving a radiator from one side of a room to another
                                                                                                                    Hi

where are u based

Comment

I find it funny that we are horrified that the Russians and Chinese get their news from a 'state sponsored broadcaster' when we have gotten ours for years from RTE and the BBC.
                                                                                                                      I don't think the government exercises editorial control over RTE. But nice try.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

That’s a bit of a misleading summary of the article. Sinovac can be effective, if enough doses are given. But at 1 dose it’s about half as effective based on that article. Article also confirms that elderly in China are insufficiently vaccinated.

Hopefully its three and done. The idea of an annual top up for the covid season is a bit disheartening.
                                                                                                                        How is it misleading when I specifically said:

They are both excellent and equivalent, providing a booster is given.
                                                                                                                        and my original posting of the article also said exactly that:

This from The Economist, says that there isn't really much difference between effectiveness of the main Chinese vaccine and the mRNA vaccine, provided that enough shots of the Chinese vaccine are given. Needs three shots of the Sinovac vaccine, which is what most people have, and it is exactly as effective as the Western mRNA vaccine.
                                                                                                                        It's good news, as traditional vaccines are far easier to use when vaccinating most of the developing world that doesn't have the conditions for storing mRNAs.

Comment

Booked BigFan for next week for a family excursion after seeing a RateMyTakeaway on bao buns. The menu looks atrociously good. Think its Michelin Bib Gourmand or something like that, but the prices are just regular prices.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X