Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finance wizards: I have some US stocks that pay dividends...Uncle Sam takes his cut but apparently I have to pay some tax in Ireland too. I see there's an option to do this on the My Account thing on Revenue. Is that all I have to do, or will I need to fill in one of those baffling 12 page forms as well? Also, when do I have to fill in the details of this year's earnings by? Is it next October. Ta in advance.

Comment

Paging eamonhonda. Is there anywhere in town to get a po' boy sandwich these days?

Used to be a guy in the old food court off Abbey St but he's long gone.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

This gave me a hearty guffah.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
          Finance wizards: I have some US stocks that pay dividends...Uncle Sam takes his cut but apparently I have to pay some tax in Ireland too. I see there's an option to do this on the My Account thing on Revenue. Is that all I have to do, or will I need to fill in one of those baffling 12 page forms as well? Also, when do I have to fill in the details of this year's earnings by? Is it next October. Ta in advance.
          Actually you probably don't have to "pay", just declare. You normally only pay extra tax if the Irish rate is higher than the US rate.

Denny would be your man though as tax law is a minefield at times.
          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Thanks. The US only takes 15% but my understanding is I have to pay it as if it was income so 40 odd percent plus PRSI etc.

Comment

Thanks. The US only takes 15% but my understanding is I have to pay it as if it was income so 40 odd percent plus PRSI etc.
              Investment stock though would be fall under CGT not income tax.

Where are you getting the income tax bit from? Only way stock would be in the income bracket if work related, if that then Hitch might be your man as his wife get work stock that would have income tax implications.

Not really my area though thankfully.

Edit, just realised you were talking about dividends and not gains on sale of stock.

Ignore the above so as different tax. It is income tax, but you would get some tax relief on the Irish tax as already US deducted. So you will probably be paying tax. But don't know if you will pay the full amount and get refund or credit for the US deduction. Probably might be worth getting a tax advisor to help as you may be entitled to other allowances that you are not aware of to get a nice refund on something.

When I was in the US had a advisor that saved me thousands in taxes.
              Last edited by pokerhand; 16-12-22, 16:01.
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

You'll be taxed at your marginal rate and given credit for the US tax deducted. Basically fill in the form (Form 12 I think, more than €5K is form 11 for self assessment) on revenue and they know to not take a 15% allocation of it, so they'd take 25% (or more if PRSI +USC is included, can't remember). Fill in the gross Euro value on the form and they'll do the rest.
                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 16-12-22, 17:12.

Comment

If nothing else could go wrong Uncle arthur has decided to visit.
                  Am a fucking shell of a man, (with one ballooned out knee).

May get time to do that brussells trip report after all
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                    You'll be taxed at your marginal rate and given credit for the US tax deducted. Basically fill in the form (Form 12 I think, more than €5K is form 11 for self assessment) on revenue and they know to not take a 15% allocation of it, so they'd take 25% (or more if PRSI +USC is included, can't remember). Fill in the gross Euro value on the form and they'll do the rest.
                    Those forms scare me. Hopefully it can be done online. Sadly not in Form 11 country, yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      Properly frozen solid this am by my completely unscientific metric (walking the hideous hound of hell around St Annes. Well, I walk and she rampages).

One somewhat ironic outcome of all this may be that the planned rugby weekend may be inverted. Dublin lads going to Belfast to watch rugby and do the usual shenanigans but the rugby match may potentially be switched to Dublin. We may go to Belfast to watch Ulster play rugby on TV in Dublin.
                      Ah yes, this is now the case. A rugbyless rugby trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

It's mind bogglingly embarrassing
                        That's very harsh. I imagine Hitch spent a long time on the book...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Who is Uncle Arthur?
                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

There's a 'declare your income' form on MyAccount and under 'Other Income', there's a drop-down box with US dividends as one of the options. But why would you pay it? Bank it. Treat yourself. Who's ever going to find out.
                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Who is Uncle Arthur?
                              Gout I would imagine.

Comment

There's a 'declare your income' form on MyAccount and under 'Other Income', there's a drop-down box with US dividends as one of the options. But why would you pay it? Bank it. Treat yourself. Who's ever going to find out.
                                100%. Same goes for CGT.

Comment

Flight home from London also cancelled. Great oul week. £250 taxi (train strikes) to a shite airport hotel for ~6 hours of sleep to get onto an alternative flight first thing tomorrow instead.

Comment

Don't worry when you get back you can stay at mine.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Lol, Im in the fucking twilight Zone here. Spent the last week deciding with the aul lad that i would sort his shit out and mange his money. Paid his loots for House Insurance and all the crap you would forget about. Said id keep the card and furnace him with any loots he needed for pub/dinner etc. Called in after collecting the kids at half two with crream to put on his head i got after a month of Radiation on his head in Lukes everyday. He stabbed me in the neck. FML. Poor fucker is 74 and hasnt a clue whats going on. Dementia is the worst, gimme any other disease by a mile.

Comment

Are you sure it is that hidden? I am not one for conspiracy theories, but I do know banks have ways of tracking money that goes into Irish accounts that is sourced from overseas (I use to get notifications about that). Do banks not have to notify the foreign money to CBI or revenue? Think there is some form/process?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Lol, Im in the fucking twilight Zone here. Spent the last week deciding with the aul lad that i would sort his shit out and mange his money. Paid his loots for House Insurance and all the crap you would forget about. Said id keep the card and furnace him with any loots he needed for pub/dinner etc. Called in after collecting the kids at half two with crream to put on his head i got after a month of Radiation on his head in Lukes everyday. He stabbed me in the neck. FML. Poor fucker is 74 and hasnt a clue whats going on. Dementia is the worst, gimme any other disease by a mile.
                                          Shit man that is horrific.

Comment

ChatGPT won’t write my 2022 performance review for work - useless
                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Also came up with this fudge as to whether rugby or soccer more dangerous kids
                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                That Trump thing is so bad, it might be good.

Possibly overthinking it though.
                                                Good. According to the market anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                  Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott playing the 3 Arena in February. Hell of a collection between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehfiQd7lcPY

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehfiQd7lcPY
                                                  Came across a great full concert on youtube yesterday, Much later with Jools

This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                    Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott playing the 3 Arena in February. Hell of a collection between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehfiQd7lcPY

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehfiQd7lcPY
                                                    Billy Bragg has been doing support for them on the UK legs of the tour.
                                                    Would pretty much be my dream support/main gig, but sadly Bragg seems booked for Australia when February rolls around.
                                                    Heaton and Abbott were excellent in St Annes in the summer if you were there.

Comment

Beautiful South would be on my nightmare festival billing alongside M-People, Simply Red, Lighthouse Family. Something about that easy-listening style that makes me ill.

Comment

Beautiful South would be on my nightmare festival billing alongside M-People, Simply Red, Lighthouse Family. Something about that easy-listening style that makes me ill.
                                                        Probably never a good idea to defend the music one likes, but I genuinely think there's a layer you've missed in the Beautiful South/Housemartins music.
                                                        Like I'm not sure a songwriter who has spent 40 years writing lyrics railing against poverty, war, poor education standards, decrepit housing, the class system, monarchy etc should be classed as easy listening.
                                                        I can't picture Simply Red opening up a song with "Fuck the King and Fuck the Queen with an AK47, Line them up against the wall and let them go to heaven".

I think Caravan of Sellout to get Christmas Number One Love might be the only song that fits your description.

Comment

Yea I quite like the Housemartins but not the BS funnily enough! That Perfect 10 song is the nut worst.

Comment

Beautiful south may have a load of deep cuts worth digging in to but if like me your introduction to them was that Rotterdam or anywhere dirge that was everywhere for way too long you were never giving them a chance

Comment

Something of the “doth protest too much “ about the prison guards butt hurt re Rories stories sketches. Accurate enough stuff re some of the people I have known, I’m sure like guards there’s plenty of good ones but a sizeable rump of dickheads too

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                Beautiful south may have a load of deep cuts worth digging in to but if like me your introduction to them was that Rotterdam or anywhere dirge that was everywhere for way too long you were never giving them a chance
                                                                Song based on Paul Heaton being barred from a Rotterdam bistro wine-bar because he looked a bit trampy after a 2-day session, and complaining about the superficial blonde and beautiful people these places attract. The upbeat tunes he uses to accompany the bitter lyrics tend to confuse the message though. Happy Hour being probably the best example.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                  Something of the “doth protest too much “ about the prison guards butt hurt re Rories stories sketches. Accurate enough stuff re some of the people I have known, I’m sure like guards there’s plenty of good ones but a sizeable rump of dickheads too
                                                                  Poxy job mingling with the dregs of society

Comment

Easy listening is a WIDEE Genre . Always amused me that term. 100% of us listen to it .

The Beautiful South Prehab Sprout etc. Could all be considered Easy Listening but if you really listen , some brilliant tunes . Perfect 10 is excellent . You could punk up the hook. Amazes me how much Oasis 3 chord blandness was so highly praised . So many ahead of them. Portishead Dummy was my 90s top fav.

Speaking of prefab Sprout. saw Paddy a few years ago. The transformation was .

Their finest.

Comment

Wonder if a braindead Sky reporter will ask Messi if he needs educating over Argentina's anti English dressing room song. How many innocents did those terrorists Argies kill in the Falklands eh. I expected the angloIPBers to condemn them. Ohh ahh up the AAAA

Comment

Bought meself one of those Guinness Nitro Surges.

Went into the local pub and sweet talked them into giving me 2x pint glasses.
                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Weren't people just getting a cheap ultrasonic bath to the same effect? Gimmick imo but I'm no Guinness drinker.
                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Ended up in Cassidys on Westmoreland Street yesterday, as it was slightly less Christmassy or packed than the pubs I'd usually prefer. Also 'think' it had been mentioned here before. My question is is it a particularly 'Gay' Bar? Never had peeps interrupting a chat with a friend so many times ever.
                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Probably never a good idea to defend the music one likes, but I genuinely think there's a layer you've missed in the Beautiful South/Housemartins music.
                                                                              Like I'm not sure a songwriter who has spent 40 years writing lyrics railing against poverty, war, poor education standards, decrepit housing, the class system, monarchy etc should be classed as easy listening.
                                                                              I can't picture Simply Red opening up a song with "Fuck the King and Fuck the Queen with an AK47, Line them up against the wall and let them go to heaven".

I think Caravan of Sellout to get Christmas Number One Love might be the only song that fits your description.
                                                                              Totally agree with this. I was a latecomer to their brilliance after many years hearing them in the wrong way. Familiarity can breed contempt of course( ABBA is another that was in that particular bucket for a long time)... but all good things come to those who wait.

Comment

This Youtube series of an English lad who learned card counting and recently crossed three southern US states on his own BUT as part of a distributed blackjack team trying to make him and his investors a profit isn't bad.

Four episodes in so far - I think season 1 is where he learns to count maybe. I jumped straight into season 2.

Fair balls putting it on YouTube... he's up against it but the specifics of the interactions are quite interesting.

Comment

I was tempted to give this a go but the racket seems to be in that cans are different so you also have to buy Guinness nitro surge cans which never are on offer and come at a premium to normal cans.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie

I think music has mostly been rubbish since about 1847. Literally have to be drunk to enjoy most stuff from the last 100 years . Love some of Shostkavoich but he's no Bach.
                                                                                    Actually played all of Haydn's The Creation today, written in 1797/98 and it was fantastic.

(1961 vinyl boxset, Elisabeth Grummer, Gottlob Frick and Joseph Traxel with St. Hedwig's Cathedral Choir from Berlin).

And I didn't even read the libretto translation. That's a job for another day - it's pretty complex and intense.

Also watched Strictly final (glad to see Hamsa win) and some Irish post-black metal from a few years ago with one of the Lynch lads from Lankum. (It just got a new 50-copy cassette only release in America)

Every day is a school day... and it's only early.

Gonna get stuck in to some juicy shit later too.
                                                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 17-12-22, 21:51.

Comment

That had to have been the first thrown NFL game in many a year. Fix.

This looks like they brought a disabled kid on a half time an let them score a pretend TD falling all around the place.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                        That had to have been the first thrown NFL game in many a year. Fix.

This looks like they brought a disabled kid on a half time an let them score a pretend TD falling all around the place.

You alright man?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Totally agree with this. I was a latecomer to their brilliance after many years hearing them in the wrong way. Familiarity can breed contempt of course( ABBA is another that was in that particular bucket for a long time)... but all good things come to those who wait.

I'm always trying to come up with the equation that explains why 'The Smiths' and 'Abba' are the only two bands that cause me to want to be on a dancefloor.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'm always trying to come up with the equation that explains why 'The Smiths' and 'Abba' are the only two bands that cause me to want to be on a dancefloor.
                                                                                            You are the dancing Queen but you can't go out because you haven't got a thing to wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

You are the dancing Queen but you can't go out because you haven't got a thing to wear.
                                                                                              here's one to get your sunday going!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

You alright man?
                                                                                                Are you saying the Colts haven't been obviously tanking for a QB since the bizarre Saturday appointment?

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Weren't people just getting a cheap ultrasonic bath to the same effect? Gimmick imo but I'm no Guinness drinker.
                                                                                                  It's already pretty cheap at like 20e. The cans are a bit extra I'm pretty sure but definitely worth it.

@raoulduke - no leads on a Po boy unfortunately but I'd like to get kept informed on your search!
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Insanity

Comment

Ooh la la
                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

It's like every stereotype about 'impetuous Latinos' to the power of a million.

Comment

Pray for Solks!

Comment

Colour me sports-washed.

Comment

chop it up
                                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Martinez is some keeper .

Comment

Final pelanties
                                                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                    Martinez is some keeper .
                                                                                                                    Ha that was quick

Comment

Montiel up there with Fabio Grosso circa 2006
                                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Happy Christmessi

Comment

This blind taste test has me thinking it's mostly marketing waffle

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X