Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good friend of mine from Mulranny would be old enough to remember the 1951 final has been suffering through each of the eleven finals Mayo played since then in increasing frustration was filling in his census form tonight

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Did you read that article? Yes immigration to the US has slowed somewhat, but they are still adding hundreds of thousands a year, and could easily ramp it back up by making it easier for applicants.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

C'mon, this is pretty silly. Pre-industrial revolution per capita GDP was roughly the same all around the world, so the biggest economy in the world was just based on who had the most people. China at some point in the 19th century had a third of the world's population.
        Okay. I'll update my example to Britain. Tell me about the multiculturalism of Britain during the British Empire?
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I think multiculturalism is great obv. My point is just that it's not a precursor to success. Plus China is, of course, high multicultural, its just not a range of cultures we are familiar with, so we assume they are all Hans.

Comment

I think multiculturalism is great obv. My point is just that it's not a precursor to success. Plus China is, of course, high multicultural, its just not a range of cultures we are familiar with, so we assume they are all Hans.
            It's both 'multiculturalism + immigration'. Because you can have some very multicultural countries that are effectively closed to immigration.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
              The first available appointment for us to declare intention to marry is the fucking 27th of July so can't actually fill out the form till November. Very modern.
              You can get an appointment at civil registration offices in some parts of the country much quicker. In January at least Offaly Roscommon and Leitrim were al offering same week appointments at a time when it was min 12 Weeks in Dublin and Kildare. May have evened out a bit since people copped on you can use any office anywhere.

Comment

Hans is German obv.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Not sure if I'm kinky enough for mirrors in a garden.
                  What is that meant to look like?

​​​​​​Although one of the plans was to paint one of the walls white-ish and get a projector pointed at it.
                  I'm not sure if it's a thing. We've a postage stamp back garden, with a nice bit of greenery. I stuck a few small mirrors from a bathroom refurb on the fence and it gave the illusion of a larger garden.

Wife thought it was naff and got rid.
                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Very nice! Although a bit on the overly neat side of anally retentive I would say.

Mine will be more....rustic.

Comment

Okay. I'll update my example to Britain. Tell me about the multiculturalism of Britain during the British Empire?
                      I've lost track of the point you are trying to make, I think you have gotten so confused you are trying to make the point that immigration is not necessary for economic success in today's world because of economic dynamics in the 18th century. By that logic Ireland should bring back slavery and send some gunships carrying opium into China.

Comment

Here is a cogent argument:

India has produced a number of people who hold positions of power across the world. Here is a list of 12 such Indian-origin CEOs who run a few of the most powerful companies in the world.

Parag Agrawal, Twitter's new CEO, is the latest of several Indian-Americans leading global tech firms.

Immigration is a huge boon to the US - all of those Indian CEO's working in the states are incredibly talented people, and along with them are four million highly educated workers.

Who is the net winner in this situation? The US, because the system they have built is enormously attractive to ambitious people all around the world.

Comment

You are supposed to only fill out the census on census night. Obvious reason why; births, deaths, migrations and to avoid double counting.

Hard to believe the census form doesn't tell you what date census night is.
                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Think the whole argument has gone off track.

Nearly anyone that's in an emerging market fund would have had exposure to Russia, and that has effectively gone to zero. That's only one of the risks you get in that market. It takes a lot to make up for a loss in principal like that.

Comment

Thats a very neat garden, although why are none of you painting your walls?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                You are supposed to only fill out the census on census night. Obvious reason why; births, deaths, migrations and to avoid double counting.

Dd4tDiHV4AAUUX7-300x225.jpg

Comment

Not sure if I've said this before, and hopefully not as its barely interesting enough to be mentioned once: But, finally on mains water after about 20 years in apartments, and my god its actively delicious. Like I end up looking forward to glasses of water now that we have the good stuff being piped into our veins. I guess apartment water needs to rest somewhere, or something like that, and ends up a bit manky as a result. Getting vague memories of loving the water in Ennis growing up also, so maybe its an Irish water thing.

Comment

Our walls are painted
                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Our walls are painted
                                      Oh is there two gardens. Just saw micknails. I'll scroll back!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Potentially relocating for a couple of years so we would rent it out while away.

Not 'recent' any more as we moved into the place in May 2019!
                                        whaaaat - you're going to do the big apple thing?! Thats an epic life decision.

Comment

Think most people would plan to have some roses or something supported by wires. May take a few years to get coverage, but once done will be impossible to repaint the wall, so better left bare.
                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

whaaaat - you're going to do the big apple thing?! Thats an epic life decision.
                                            Ha. I had thought it would be just himself relocating, and letting the rest of his family get on with their lives. Must be some serious uplift!

Comment

Very nice! Although a bit on the overly neat side of anally retentive I would say.

Mine will be more....rustic.
                                              Well, I mean, they are called right angles, not wrong angles.
                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

One hundred billion people have walked this planet.

this is a really good writeup I thought. How people think. Maybe one of two others here will like..

writer is Morgan Housel who penned the excellent "psychology of money"
                                                Last edited by paul8200; 30-03-22, 21:20. Reason: adding

Comment

Well they are only starting to take hold now, but i've planted ivy that will eventually creep up the walls.
                                                  Leading to my ideal minimal maintenance 'summer entertaining area'.

Defo getting one of those robot mower/mulch yokes too. Saturdays are for hangovers, not horticulture
                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Well they are only starting to take hold now, but i've planted ivy that will eventually creep up the walls.

Defo getting one of those robot mower/mulch yokes too. Saturdays are for hangovers, not horticulture
                                                    hmm, I've just spent a week tearing down ivy. Its meant to stay on the walls? We've got some trellises that arrived today and the idea is to stick them on the painted walls. Based on CCs comment earlier, its probably redundant, if the things growing on the trellises block out the wall, but thats a problem for the next owners.

I am impressed with your right corners. Will endeavour to do the same.

Comment

Are you in Waterford these days is it? I spent a lot of time in the first lockdown in Limerick cycling with Pa after randomly bumping into him.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Are you in Waterford these days is it? I spent a lot of time in the first lockdown in Limerick cycling with Pa after randomly bumping into him.
                                                        Not to accuse you of having baby brain or anything, but we've definitely had this conversation recently enough.

I've gotten a girl in to rent one of the rooms, and unbeknownst to her, i'm planning on taking my motorbike and work laptop and fucking off to Spain/France on a ferry for a few weeks as I am so sick of being in my house constantly for the last 2 years living and working remotely.
                                                        We were told (unofficially of course) that as a contractor don't expect to be back in the office with the VIP civil servants this year
                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

hmm, I've just spent a week tearing down ivy. Its meant to stay on the walls? We've got some trellises that arrived today and the idea is to stick them on the painted walls. Based on CCs comment earlier, its probably redundant, if the things growing on the trellises block out the wall, but thats a problem for the next owners.

I am impressed with your right corners. Will endeavour to do the same.
                                                          I'd discourage anyone from growing Ivy. Most of my gardening has been removing it, and then removing it again ,like it just keeps growing from roots. Have moved two wisterias to my back wall over the last two years, though think I may have killed the second on in the move. Ah the one will be enough in time.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'd discourage anyone from growing Ivy. Most of my gardening has been removing it, and then removing it again ,like it just keeps growing from roots. Have moved two wisterias to my back wall over the last two years, though think I may have killed the second on in the move. Ah the one will be enough in time.
                                                            Yeah. Removed the many years of ivy and brambles to uncover some beautiful hydrangeas (after removing many years of deadwood in the hydrangeas) in the front garden. They look stunning now. I've genuinely gone out to just have a good stare at them.

I wouldn't even be too bothered, except all the neighbours keep coming up and saying how it's great to see the garden getting better, as Jimmy, who lived in the house until aged 90, used to love his garden, but then couldn't take care of it in the last few years. I feel I'm doing it for him a bit. Albeit that we have removed quite a lot of his poorer gardening choices.

Comment

Gardening is a lovely task. You end up with that proper body tiredness rather than the usual brain tiredness, that leads to vastly better sleep and a nice sense of satisfaction.

Comment

IPB gardening . Was only a matter of time as ye all move into middle age.

Anyone for Domino club ? ( the game not the pizza)

Comment

Gardening is a lovely task. You end up with that proper body tiredness rather than the usual brain tiredness, that leads to vastly better sleep and a nice sense of satisfaction.
                                                                  I mostly like the dirtiness of it, that and the loss of awareness of time.

Comment

There was a similar job done when I moved in first in fairness. There is a difference between nice Ivy and overgrown.
                                                                    Here is a young Micknail in the wilds of 2016:
                                                                    SPOILER

P.S.I don't think Ivy would need any trellis, but for sure a nasturtium or roses would use it,
                                                                    and they would grow must faster too. Bang for buck if you will.
                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Can be soul destroying too. Had c.60 mature strawberry plants delivering a constant supply of deliciousness last two summers. Got infested with some little bastard called vine weevil and I'll be lucky to get a couple of weekends out of the bits I've managed to save. Grrrr!

Comment

Since we're changing to IGB now:

There's a very outside chance that I might build a house on a site in the countryside someday. I was thinking, just on the off chance that I do. Maybe I should plant a hedge/tree cover now, and it'd be ready in a few years. Is that a feasible idea? I haven't really done much research on what's best.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

There's a very outside chance that I might build a house on a site in the countryside someday. I was thinking, just on the off chance that I do. Maybe I should plant a hedge/tree cover now, and it'd be ready in a few years. Is that a feasible idea? I haven't really done much research on what's best.
                                                                          Must...resist...hedge fund...joke....its a trap....

Comment

Moon Knight ep1 is a good start. Has a blockbuster cinematic feel and the two leads have proper pedigree.
                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                            Minor complaint but some of the CGI was a bit meh. Didn't detract overall

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

On hedges. We made a mistake on them and planted some sort of laurel. There's this lovely copper-covered thing (someone will know the name) that you see down the country, that is slowish-growing but would look lovely if you were to plant it now for a few years. Has this great Irish feel to it, and gives a bit of brightness all year round. You can plant any hedge you want if you own the site or have permission of the owners (I guess, the parents).

Comment

Some good ones here in this thread on best nicknames

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

I presume you don't exist til you've a PPS number?

If so, there's huge backlogs to register births. So there's thousands going to be missing anyway.

Comment

Not sure if I've said this before, and hopefully not as its barely interesting enough to be mentioned once: But, finally on mains water after about 20 years in apartments, and my god its actively delicious. Like I end up looking forward to glasses of water now that we have the good stuff being piped into our veins. I guess apartment water needs to rest somewhere, or something like that, and ends up a bit manky as a result. Getting vague memories of loving the water in Ennis growing up also, so maybe its an Irish water thing.
                                                                                    I find it hard to drink bottled water after tap water

Comment

Don't do the ivy imo. Horrible thing that actively eats everything, including walls.

Took me the guts of a year to strip it out of our garden.

Comment

Speaking of gardening topics, we have a maple tree at the bottom of the garden - mature, between 8-10m tall. Beautiful sight in summer and autumn - however it does block out the sun to most of the garden between 5.30 - 7.30, which is precisely the time you would be sitting outside having a cocktail party in your white tux.

Anyone know if it's a good idea to trim these, like take off maybe the top 3m? e.g. will it kill the tree altogether or is this fairly standard and OK.

Comment

My tap water varies from drinkable to notes of swimming pool. Since getting in a fridge piped in with a filter and water/ice the difference in quality has been noticeable.

Also, the hedging you mentioned earlier is likely copper beach. I wouldn't recommend laurel as it grows very thick and woody after a few years. We had some old hedging that the ould fella neglected and it's now like a mini rainforest at the back of the home place. Make sure to trim it back aggressively whenever it's time to prune.

Comment

Yeah, I think its copper beach. Looks class. Or maybe there's another one that's green with copper edges.

Comment

Quick question.

I'm looking for an app (Android) that will allow me to scan or import receipts into an app and then output a detailed (dates etc) expense report in excel or something like that. Any recommendations?
                                                                                              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Speaking of gardening topics, we have a maple tree at the bottom of the garden - mature, between 8-10m tall. Beautiful sight in summer and autumn - however it does block out the sun to most of the garden between 5.30 - 7.30, which is precisely the time you would be sitting outside having a cocktail party in your white tux.

Anyone know if it's a good idea to trim these, like take off maybe the top 3m? e.g. will it kill the tree altogether or is this fairly standard and OK.
                                                                                                Where might you be relocating to for a couple of years? The States? I presume it's with your current employer?

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

Hopefully that isn't the case as it would truly fuck me. I actually got into the US for the first time last year by saying that I was there for work and that was on a ESTA, I breezed through that in less than a minute it was crazy. There does seem to be a bit of confusing information out there. This piece below is from the US State department website.

"Travel Purposes for which a Visitor Visa Can Be Used Instead of a Media Visa – Examples:"

"Take still photographs, provided you receive no income from a U.S. source." Which is what I would fall under. I wasn't even going to apply for this Visa but one of the PokerNews guys got stopped at the border last year and was denied entry so my boss said last week in Prague that it's probably best to apply for one.

I have an appointment for April 4th but I'm supposed to be in London for work on that date. April 4/5/8 were the only dates none even in May. It was really stressful as the website keep crashing on me yesterday so my head was fried at the end of it all.
                                                                                                  Quick update to this. I managed to get an expedited appointment for April 11th (when I'm still out of the country) and the original date that would've worked was cancelled. I rang the embassy trying to get a date sorted (person wasn't very helpful and even though that date wasn't available when I was selecting it was my fault) got an email address to email somebody about my situation to try get it figured out. Happened to be on the website the following morning checking something else and see there was now a new date for later in April when I'm in the country which suits. Hopefully it all goes smooth from now and I'll be in Vegas for the 2022 WSOP.
                                                                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Cyber attack update. Next week SYSTEM STILL DOWN. .
                                                                                                    may have to invent work for folk to do. Well now i have gardening tips I can affix some Ivy around the building.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                      Quick question.

I'm looking for an app (Android) that will allow me to scan or import receipts into an app and then output a detailed (dates etc) expense report in excel or something like that. Any recommendations?
                                                                                                      I remember looking at expensify for this at work a few years back. For one person it's probably fine but it was too costly (according to higher ups) to roll-out business wide. Worth a look at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                        Cyber attack update. Next week SYSTEM STILL DOWN. .
                                                                                                        may have to invent work for folk to do. Well now i have gardening tips I can affix some Ivy around the building.
                                                                                                        What kind of business is it?

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Where might you be relocating to for a couple of years? The States? I presume it's with your current employer?
                                                                                                          yes (but not NY) and yes. all TBC but seems to be moving forward

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

What kind of business is it?
                                                                                                            Medical devices .

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1716718&d=1648722281&type=thumb Belly laugh
                                                                                                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Bro just got offered to go live in Manhattan for a year with salary, to research whatever he wants. All his own free time. Such a sweet deal. Hope he enjoys visitors

Comment

yes (but not NY) and yes. all TBC but seems to be moving forward
                                                                                                                  Which cities in America would you consider worth such a move (ignoring the work part of it).

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Which cities in America would you consider worth such a move (ignoring the work part of it).
                                                                                                                    I haven't been to that many cities in the US. At least in the last 20 years anyway where any trip I've made has been either New York or Vegas.
                                                                                                                    Would have thought NY, Chicago, Boston, Houston, Washington, San Fran, Seattle.

But I'm sure there's loads of others that would be potentially great if only I knew more about them or had visited them. Austin sounds wonderful for example.

Comment

Yeah, Austin sounds like a great spot.

Would really love to visit New Orleans too, doubt I'd want to live there though.
                                                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Medical devices .
                                                                                                                        https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022...-cyber-attack/ ??
                                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Not us . French company

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X