Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Wordle Gummidge

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Turning millions into thousands

    Comment


      ...
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

      Comment


        Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

        Now, when you were thinking that fine thought, I guess you assuming there's an equivalence between building a power plant in a major earthquake and tsunami zone (and even still not that much damage), and Ireland? What really kills people in their millions every year is fumes from fossil fuels, nuclear is a gift to humanity.
        Have it in my head that Finland invested massively in nuclear quite recently, ah yes here it is.

        Gets rid of fossil fuels entirely; how Green is that?
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

        Comment


          ...
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

          Comment


            Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Yeah. Having said that it's generally agreed that nuclear wouldn't be a good idea in Ireland for power management and cost reasons. But as long as we are connected to France, which we soon will be, we can use their nuclear and ship them our excess wind when wind is up to scale.
            I think your unconscious might be on Hectorjelly's side on this.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

              Now, when you were thinking that fine thought, I guess you assuming there's an equivalence between building a power plant in a major earthquake and tsunami zone (and even still not that much damage), and Ireland? What really kills people in their millions every year is fumes from fossil fuels, nuclear is a gift to humanity.
              The tech has moved on greatly too since Gen II in the 70s.


              Comment


                Pal of mine running the OptaJonny account now since the Perform/STATS integration. Lot of fun!

                GOZust.png

                Comment


                  Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

                  I would never be friends with people from work on social media if I could avoid it.

                  But that's outrageous.
                  Yeah in general I have very few, so it's not a large list of suspects. I was on the warpath after. Being called into the office on my birthday for that shite.
                  Also who would be stupid enough to do what they were asking of me. Well I guess some people would be, but if they knew me at all they'd know I'm a little more savvy haha.
                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-06-20, 11:06.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

                    Yeah in general I have very few, so it's not a large list of suspects. I was on the warpath after. Being called into the office on my birthday for that shite.
                    Also who would be stupid enough to do what they were asking of me. Well I guess some people would be, but if they knew me at all they'd know I'm a little more savvy haha.
                    Photoshop yourself hanging out with Neil Armstrong on the moon this afternoon and stick it up on on Facebook with a "But shh don't tell my boss where I am "

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      There's so many things that Chu one has done that have annoyed me. Either being incredibly woke to the point of extremism, or constantly claiming she is subject to racism and gender oppression despite clearly being popular enough to be elected which is far more popular than the rest of us are. And soon to be elected Dublin Lord Mayor, which we'll never here the end of.



                      ​​​​​​
                      There are so many things wrong with this post I don't know where to start.

                      It is clearly possible to be popular enough to be elected Mayor AND be subjected to racism. Do you think the two things cancel each other out? Or do you think there is a certain amount of racism that people should suffer without complaining about?





                      Comment


                        Civil war has broken out . It's been coming . Fecking Nordies

                        Comment


                          ...
                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                          Comment


                            Does anyone know the law regarding a package holiday cancellation due to Covid? My mother had something booked and they've come back with a voucher that can be used within the next nine months. If she doesn't use it after nine months she can claim cash back. From what I can see on Citizens Information she should be due a full refund immediately. I told her to email them and they came back saying it's a government backed credit refund note and she can't claim it back for nine months. Is this true or are they just chancing their arm?

                            If they are chancing their arm what should her next step be?
                            Last edited by KK82; 24-06-20, 12:19.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

                              There are so many things wrong with this post I don't know where to start.

                              It is clearly possible to be popular enough to be elected Mayor AND be subjected to racism. Do you think the two things cancel each other out? Or do you think there is a certain amount of racism that people should suffer without complaining about?




                              I especially loved the "which we will never hear the end of" - you will if you unfollow her m8
                              airport, lol

                              Comment



                                Originally posted by hotspur View Post

                                Photoshop yourself hanging out with Neil Armstrong on the moon this afternoon and stick it up on on Facebook with a "But shh don't tell my boss where I am "
                                Haha I was thinking earlier of doubling down, photoshop of me at the Eiffel tower, green screen meetings at the beach, but you're going big, i like it.



                                Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                2/5 odds it was the boss himself. Just blaming someone else. I can't see how someone you actually work at the same level with would do that? Not least because of how crappy they would look to the boss. Does facebook tell you who viewed your pic?
                                He can't see them, nor would he use facebook, don't think he even bothers having a computer outside work. I can see how it could happen, some of the people I'm pals with are 10 years older like him, and they would have started at the same time at the job, and would be friends outside work kinda thing so it would come up in conversation, "oh i saw him out at the beach" kinda thing, it might not even have been in a "tell on him" kind of vibe but maybe after hearing it from two people I think he was probably more concerned of the optics of people seeing stuff like that and coming to that conclusion when he is trying to keep morale up. In that sense it could have been him pushing to find out, more like what you mean.

                                Comment


                                  ...
                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                  Comment


                                    ...
                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                      Markets seem to be very very very slowly agreeing that Biden is fav. Best odds for Biden 8/11, for Trump 13/8. I'd imagine there's a lot of residue doubt due to how 2016 turned out.
                                      Back Trump. If he loses Great . If he wins sadly rub monies into titties .

                                      Comment


                                        What is a little bit of racism ? Kerry Jokes , Irish Jokes , referring to someone as 'the likes of him' . Where is the line ?
                                        I'll die out but just want to reveal to my offspring how wonderful they have to be to avoid social media shaming.

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                                          Does anyone know the law regarding a package holiday cancellation due to Covid? My mother had something booked and they've come back with a voucher that can be used within the next nine months. If she doesn't use it after nine months she can claim cash back. From what I can see on Citizens Information she should be due a full refund immediately. I told her to email them and they came back saying it's a government backed credit refund note and she can't claim it back for nine months. Is this true or are they just chancing their arm?

                                          If they are chancing their arm what should her next step be?
                                          If she paid for it by card, raise a chargeback with card provider/bank
                                          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

                                          Comment


                                            Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                            Well thats precisely the point. I've never followed her, yet she keeps getting retweeted into my timeline saying something right-on.
                                            Fair point, twitter is the worst.
                                            airport, lol

                                            Comment


                                              Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                              Markets seem to be very very very slowly agreeing that Biden is fav. Best odds for Biden 8/11, for Trump 13/8.
                                              seems like you have found the all-time rick there, your only problem will be how many millions to get on
                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                              Comment


                                                Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                                Well thats precisely the point. I've never followed her, yet she keeps getting retweeted into my timeline saying something right-on.
                                                I hear there's a new social media setup for people who want to avoid anything "right-on"

                                                https://www.newstatesman.com/science...tter-alt-right

                                                Comment


                                                  ...
                                                  Attached Files
                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                  Comment


                                                    Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                    Isn't that only for hot water? Is residential PV not a thing?
                                                    Residential PV exists, it’s just almost always inferior to solar thermal at that scale and situation. Yeah, solar thermal is only water. But water is often heated electrically. If it contributes 3KWh of hot water, it’s the same as 3KWh of electricity.

                                                    PV being limited to c.30% is “technically” efficiency. But unlike heaters there’s not input cost, so it’s not hugely important. The magic number is basically installed cost. If the tech gets cheaper, it might become viable.

                                                    Comment


                                                      Hope this trend isn’t replicated here, please stay in your paved over hellholes nobody wants you in the country. Thks
                                                      https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...e_iOSApp_Other

                                                      Comment


                                                        Hitch its a pretty poor take to dismiss someone's experience of racism. Do you have any idea of what sort of abusive messages she receives on a daily basis? Either a) You have no idea in which case you are just being willfully ignorant - to the point of facilitating racisism or b) something worse.

                                                        It's very easy to just dismiss things with terms like "woke" and "right-on", but what do those terms actually mean? What do you mean you use them?

                                                        Comment


                                                          Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                          Hitch its a pretty poor take to dismiss someone's experience of racism. Do you have any idea of what sort of abusive messages she receives on a daily basis? Either a) You have no idea in which case you are just being willfully ignorant - to the point of facilitating racisism or b) something worse.

                                                          It's very easy to just dismiss things with terms like "woke" and "right-on", but what do those terms actually mean? What do you mean you use them?
                                                          he means 'wanker'
                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                          Comment


                                                            ...
                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                            Comment


                                                              ...
                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                              Comment


                                                                It does seem that anyone who claims racism is auto believed these days, and they have no shortage of people calling anyone who dares to question it racist too.

                                                                There is always a place for healthy skepticism and simply believing someone because they say it and it’s faux pas to question is a bad path to go down.

                                                                Not commenting on Hazel Chu or anything in particular but the themes of “when someone says they have experienced racism just believe them” is nonsense and I’m seeing it a bit on social media.

                                                                I think most people when explained as to why something was racist(or sexist) will understand even if they didn’t before and that should be the goal. (HJs comments on the PPE sexism thing changed my dumb thinking).

                                                                but the current method of just wedging it in there and using the awkwardness, and so most proples reluctance to question, as a shield is BS.
                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

                                                                Comment


                                                                  Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                  Markets seem to be very very very slowly agreeing that Biden is fav. Best odds for Biden 8/11, for Trump 13/8. I'd imagine there's a lot of residue doubt due to how 2016 turned out.
                                                                  You'd wonder if CNN and NYT execs would be funking for 4 more years of Trump. There'll be less media frenzys and eyeballs with Joe in charge.


                                                                  The Nascar noose story was a good illustration of how narrative trump's facts. Even after FBI conferred it as a non story, CNN couldn't give up on the narrative.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                    I had never heard of Hazel Chu before and just checked out her Twitter. I concluded that Twitter of any kind in insufferable. I don't know why people would subject themselves to Twitter.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                      Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                      It does seem that anyone who claims racism is auto believed these days, and they have no shortage of people calling anyone who dares to question it racist too.

                                                                      There is always a place for healthy skepticism and simply believing someone because they say it and it’s faux pas to question is a bad path to go down.

                                                                      Not commenting on Hazel Chu or anything in particular but the themes of “when someone says they have experienced racism just believe them” is nonsense and I’m seeing it a bit on social media.

                                                                      I think most people when explained as to why something was racist(or sexist) will understand even if they didn’t before and that should be the goal. (HJs comments on the PPE sexism thing changed my dumb thinking).

                                                                      but the current method of just wedging it in there and using the awkwardness, and so most proples reluctance to question, as a shield is BS.
                                                                      That’s the general rule these days on all manner of issues, trial by media. Either for us or against us, no room for conscientious nuance to it all.

                                                                      Kids dressing up as Paul McGrath during WC94 would be “blackface shame” now, whereas there was clearly no racial intent involved but it’s revisionism now to state otherwise.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                        Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                        Hitch its a pretty poor take to dismiss someone's experience of racism. Do you have any idea of what sort of abusive messages she receives on a daily basis? Either a) You have no idea in which case you are just being willfully ignorant - to the point of facilitating racisism or b) something worse.

                                                                        It's very easy to just dismiss things with terms like "woke" and "right-on", but what do those terms actually mean? What do you mean you use them?
                                                                        An example is lads who post things like #ibelieveher on twitter whilst being a regular abuser of women, that’s just trying to virtue signal how woke you are, whilst actually being exactly what it doesn’t stand for. I think most distaste from the so called woke culture comes from from an embedded hypocrisy from those talking about it.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                          ...
                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                          Comment


                                                                            Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

                                                                            An example is lads who post things like #ibelieveher on twitter whilst being a regular abuser of women, that’s just trying to virtue signal how woke you are, whilst actually being exactly what it doesn’t stand for. I think most distaste from the so called woke culture comes from from an embedded hypocrisy from those talking about it.
                                                                            Did you lose a prop bet about maximising buzz words per post?

                                                                            Try squeezing "leafy" in there too next time.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                              Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                              Was working in the office today because yesterday evening my boss sent me an email asking could I come to work to discuss my working from home - so i was like wtf is up? It was such a silly reason though. I had posted some pictures at the beach from a few weekends ago when i visited my gf, but I had posted them during work hours, so some people had said it to my boss from my friends list on facebook or sth. He wanted to see if I had been at the beach during work or not, just to see if what they said is right. Or even if I had been working other hours so that being at the beach was ok, being quite reasonable and of course understood when i said I wasn't and could see I was quite pissed off haha.
                                                                              that's unbelievable.
                                                                              1) someone in your social circle (or whatev) "ratted" to your boss
                                                                              2) your boss called you in
                                                                              3) to see if you were working or changed hours, seems needless
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

                                                                              Comment


                                                                                Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

                                                                                Did you lose a prop bet about maximising buzz words per post?

                                                                                Try squeezing "leafy" in there too next time.
                                                                                You hate leafy dont you. It's old though. The time to protest was when you were 2 years old .





                                                                                Comment


                                                                                  One Time for it to turn out for it to be CHD or Rigger that is going around disfiguring statues of Luke Kelly as some kind of anti Woke statement and to piss off Solks
                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                    Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                    One Time for it to turn out for it to be CHD or Rigger that is going around disfiguring statues of Luke Kelly as some kind of anti Woke statement and to piss off Solks
                                                                                    Luke Kelly is a legend and no-one should be messing with his head
                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                      Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                      One Time for it to turn out for it to be CHD or Rigger that is going around disfiguring statues of Luke Kelly as some kind of anti Woke statement and to piss off Solks
                                                                                      The huge head one is already vandalism. Destroy it .

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                        Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

                                                                                        that's unbelievable.
                                                                                        1) someone in your social circle (or whatev) "ratted" to your boss
                                                                                        2) your boss called you in
                                                                                        3) to see if you were working or changed hours, seems needless
                                                                                        Your boss should't give a fook about anything other than your ability to deliver quality work to agreed deadlines. Managers who use 'presenteeism' as a metric of productivity are living in the dark ages.
                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                          Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                          As for you SatNav,
                                                                                          No amount of Botox would freeze the smile on everyone's face when you planted one on a bewildered McCluskeys lips in that same Galway hotel.
                                                                                          I love mick he's like my grandad who I also often gave an oul hug and big kiss ​​​​​​

                                                                                          I'm a very affectionate person
                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                          © 5starpool

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                            ...
                                                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                              Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

                                                                                              Your boss should't give a fook about anything other than your ability to deliver quality work to agreed deadlines. Managers who use 'presenteeism' as a metric of productivity are living in the dark ages.
                                                                                              I think that depends the nature of your role. If you role is completely autonomous, as long as you do the agreed hours and work per week, who cares.
                                                                                              If your role requires a lot of interaction. Then you need be available at set times to do that. It may not affect your deadlines, but it could affect others.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                Originally posted by Mellor View Post

                                                                                                I think that depends the nature of your role. If you role is completely autonomous, as long as you do the agreed hours and work per week, who cares.
                                                                                                If your role requires a lot of interaction. Then you need be available at set times to do that. It may not affect your deadlines, but it could affect others.
                                                                                                I'm generally working to appear in video calls and standups in the morning, general email availability and then random number of hours throughout the day.
                                                                                                e.g I'm giving blood today so hitting city centre for noon then will arse around there for a few hours with the family (feed the ducks etc) and then work later this evening when daughter is hopefully asleep.
                                                                                                Expecting 9-5 at your desk in a WFH lifestyle isn't 100% viable at all times and thankfully my boss understands this.
                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                  Wonder does Pence use a seatbelt when he's in a car?

                                                                                                  “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                    ...
                                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                      ...
                                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                                        ...
                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                                          I guess it will encourage the others to make sure they double-check every article they link to - Starmer obviously true to his word of stamping out ant-semitism.
                                                                                                          It does seem a bit of an over-reaction in this case. Hopefully it's not intended to be the start of a purge of Corbynistas, and RLB will be back in the shadow cabinet at some stage.

                                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                                            But, was it not true? Do Israeli security forces not give training to some US police in seminars on how to use holds like that?

                                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                                              ...
                                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                                Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                                                                                                The Israeli's use chokeholds (pics in that twitter thread above), they also train US cops (why?!), but they deny that they train US cops to use chokeholds. I'm just struggling to see how - whether its right or wrong - that it equals anti-semitism.
                                                                                                                seems a bit daft. The article contained a lie\error (take your pick) but I can't see how it's anti-semitic. Anti-Israeli police maybe.
                                                                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                                  ...
                                                                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                                    Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                    I guess it will encourage the others to make sure they double-check every article they link to - Starmer obviously true to his word of stamping out ant-semitism.
                                                                                                                    It does seem a bit of an over-reaction in this case. Hopefully it's not intended to be the start of a purge of Corbynistas, and RLB will be back in the shadow cabinet at some stage.
                                                                                                                    He seems like a reasonable person so can’t see him blowing this up for no reason. Purge it is I would imagine or perhaps he didn’t like a trade union stalwart sitting in education when the teachers union will be blamed for the economic troubles going forward because parents couldn’t go back to work.

                                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                                      Just to say I don’t think that teachers unions should be blamed for all corona virus and brexit economic impacts just what I kind of see them lining up

                                                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                                                        Originally posted by RichieM View Post

                                                                                                                        He seems like a reasonable person so can’t see him blowing this up for no reason. Purge it is I would imagine or perhaps he didn’t like a trade union stalwart sitting in education when the teachers union will be blamed for the economic troubles going forward because parents couldn’t go back to work.
                                                                                                                        tbh, purging the Corbyn whackjobs seems like a great idea - especially when you see the electoral results they 'achieved'

                                                                                                                        Maybe 'you're sacked because you're shit and voters agree' rather than 'you're sacked for vaguely possible, maybe not really, anti-semitism' would be a more honest message though.
                                                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                                                          ...
                                                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                                          Comment

                                                                                                                          Working...
                                                                                                                          X