This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    This is kinda interesting. US imposes restrictions on China to stop them catching up on semiconductor chip tech. There was a pretty widespread view that the Chinese could never plug the tech gap, but now they appear to have commercial quantities of 7mm chips:

Mate 60 Pro mobile phone is said to use chip made in China that was thought impossible without access to restricted western technology

7mm is about five years behind current state-of-the-art, but until this chip was released they were believed to be at least a decade behind and fundamentally a lost cause with no hope of catching up.

So it looks like China will, in due course, be able to domestically produce their own chip needs. Although this is just one data point, so I may be making a bit of a leap there.

That's massive if it pans out like that as (a), I think chips are their main import - a few hundred billion a year, and (b) this was the biggest brightest plan of the West to stifle their growth. Instead it seems like the West has just potentially sanctioned itself out of trillions in exports over the coming decades.
    Two typos, or did you really read nm as mm?
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

one thing I always thought would be a good idea would be to release the toxicology results of all drivers involved in crashes - even if the driver themselves died in the crash
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Wandering around work today, as if a tourist. Man this place is nerd central
        Approaching the most unsavoury time of the year, when the University is full of people.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Two typos, or did you really read nm as mm?
          Ha. You're not wrong
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

A friend of mine swam from Baltimore to Fastnet Rock (20km) a few weeks back, she did it in 6 hours. That seems excessive.

That's actually quite good. The English channel would probably be the best known sea swim around these parts and that is about 33.5Km and the average swim time is around 13 hours or 2500m per hour where as your friend was coming in at around 3300m per hour, albeit over a smaller distance and possibly better conditions.

Comment

If they can't buy the new gear from ASML then they're at the end of the line. Kind of strange situation to have the future of all hardware developments in the hands of one company.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

That's actually quite good. The English channel would probably be the best known sea swim around these parts and that is about 33.5Km and the average swim time is around 13 hours or 2500m per hour where as your friend was coming in at around 3300m per hour, albeit over a smaller distance and possibly better conditions.
                Oh, I meant 'excessive' in the sense of taking it all a bit too far. Was supposedly excellent conditions and the photos looked great.

Comment

Obligatory: millions will be late
                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Looks decent, but seems to be just smart querying? I'm more concentrating on the decision making part and keeping the information querying bit in the background as if 'and obviously this is here also'. As in, all business information will naturally be retrieved that way in the near future and presumably the likes of Microsoft will be the ones who do that.

Who knows if thats the right approach.

But e.g. with this SQL thing - this is just the most obvious problem the company currently has and they had tried and failed to fix it with expert systems, so they wanted a demo of that as a general prover of the capabilities in terms of decision makers. Their end goal is some form of cyborg bankers, which would need loads of different agents interacting together. I feel that interaction is where the smart decision impact will be - so, I'm more trying to get my foot in the door with the basic sql idea and quickly move to that higher value place.

Although for the initial presentation their director of AI sat through the whole thing looking like i had just shat in his cornflakes, so I'll have to barge through him to get anywhere.
                    Maybe I've misunderstood what you've done. You want something that can map a sentence like: "What was our gross profit in Kenya yesterday" into a SQL query? So it has managed to figure out which dataset, table and fields are needed?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

That's a savage result. Open water swimming is a step up from swimming in the pool.

What are the qualifying races? I've always loved the idea of doing the Liffey swim but the thought of actually getting into the Liffey is off putting

The qualifying races are any of the leinster open water swims. There's 2/3 a week during the summer.

Comment

A friend of mine swam from Baltimore to Fastnet Rock (20km) a few weeks back, she did it in 6 hours. That seems excessive.
                        Is that a regular event? I heard someone else talking about doing it. Swimming in the dark in the sea has to play some serious tricks on the mind. Extreme version of a sensory deprivation tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Is that a regular event? I heard someone else talking about doing it. Swimming in the dark in the sea has to play some serious tricks on the mind. Extreme version of a sensory deprivation tank.
                          I think she did it just on her own, with support boat obv.

Comment

I think she did it just on her own, with support boat obv.
                            this is the only sort of personal sea travel i'm interested in

Reza Baluchi tried to "run" from Florida to London in a homemade vessel during hurricane season.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

They are trying to make it a thing, similar to the English channel swim. It's not an event, rather something you do with their help of course

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                If they can't buy the new gear from ASML then they're at the end of the line. Kind of strange situation to have the future of all hardware developments in the hands of one company.
                                It seems like the Chinese have gone well beyond what the Chip Wars book thought possible though, no? I wonder what the best strategy for them is. Maybe create a monopoly at the lower end up to 7nm and then use that as a bargaining chip and learning base for higher level chips? Without knowing anything about the area, apart from that book, it feels too strategically important that they - or anyone else not in the favour of the US - simply can't allow a complete monopoly.

Comment

I see Smurfit is about to become the second biggest paper company in the world. Merging with the US number 2. Mad journey for them. Ireland Inc ends up as a big winner as the headquarters and all that beautiful yummy tax is remaining in Dublin.

Comment

Theres almost no chance they have figured out High-NA EUV lithography, and 7 nm can be done without that. ASML have built up a supply chain of no-alternative suppliers like Zeiss for their optics, each of which are basically black magic in their little subsection of the process so I dont see how the Chinese could replicate it. They kind of have to allow the monopoly for, I would guess, at least 5 years. Do you mean lower end as in < 7nm, or as a foundry for slightly less complex stuff? Im sure theyd be only too delighted to put TSMC out of business!

As I mentioned previously, reading isnt my thing so I didnt read the last 2 chapters of that book!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                      Theres almost no chance they have figured out High-NA EUV lithography, and 7 nm can be done without that. ASML have built up a supply chain of no-alternative suppliers like Zeiss for their optics, each of which are basically black magic in their little subsection of the process so I dont see how the Chinese could replicate it. They kind of have to allow the monopoly for, I would guess, at least 5 years. Do you mean lower end as in < 7nm, or as a foundry for slightly less complex stuff? Im sure theyd be only too delighted to put TSMC out of business!

As I mentioned previously, reading isnt my thing so I didnt read the last 2 chapters of that book!
                                      Thanks! Remembering isn't my thing, so I can't really remember the actual content of the book, just remember that I read it.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I remember getting a lift home at least once with you years ago from the Fitz and being terrified as you turned into an utter demon at the wheel. Have you moderated in your old(er) age?
                                        That may not be an inaccurate representation of my driving
                                        Nevertheless I've only had two rounds of penalty points and they were within 2 minutes of each other on the same road when I turned around and was caught by the same lad twice!
                                        But that is probably more a reflection of how poor enforcement is than anything else.
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

That may not be an inaccurate representation of my driving
                                          Nevertheless I've only had two rounds of penalty points and they were within 2 minutes of each other on the same road when I turned around and was caught by the same lad twice!
                                          But that is probably more a reflection of how poor enforcement is than anything else.
                                          Only caught twice see and by dirty stinking rat coppers see.

Comment

SP back in the day.

Comment

29° forecast for tomorrow.

Fuck me, that's not happened in September before has it?
                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Calling it now World Cup 2026 in USA/mex /Canada will be a shitshow- even with aircon stadiums in some of the worst cities from a heat perspective - Dallas , houston Atlanta will be horrific as a fan

actually Paris olympics could be pretty nasty too
                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

It’s just weather man- they’re measuring the temps wrong -too close to the ground , that’s the latest line from the loons

I’ve considering ditching my AVCs and booking Hawksmoor and chapter one for next dub trip- enjoy what good times are left-at least we created a lot of value for shareholders
                                                  Last edited by MysteryGuest; 07-09-23, 21:49.
                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Lame make up from 'the weather ' for that pissy July. My dhalias and roses arn't recoving.

Comment

29.1C
                                                      "Our record temperature for September is 29.1C and that was reported in Clongowes, Co Kildare in September 2009. "So a record-breaking temperature for September is not impossible for tomorrow as it will be the hottest day.

Comment

Already got the car solar-charging. this thing is going to the MOON

Comment

Already got the car solar-charging. this thing is going to the MOON
                                                          Would it not be better to head to the Sun?
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

10 days sans familie, rugby. Suspect I'll need a holiday after this.

Comment

Would it not be better to head to the Sun?
                                                              Moon reaches 127 degrees temperature during a new moon phase, so thats good enough for phase 1. but i appreciate your guidance.

Comment

epic. you will most certainly have done it wrong if you don't need a holiday after this.

Comment

How many jaunty berets will be worn?
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

How many jaunty berets will be worn?
                                                                    Only bringing the one.

Comment

Quite impressed with the hide-and-seek abilities of the escaped army guy in the UK.

Comment

Quite impressed with the hide-and-seek abilities of the escaped army guy in the UK.
                                                                        Kind of always find myself rooting for the escaped prisoner, regardless of whatever hideous crime they may have done. Always something Boys Own Adventures to the story.
                                                                        This guy Khalife seems relatively harmless in the greater scheme of things, just a wee bit of spying and passing information for a foreign power.
                                                                        A 20th century George Blake George Blake - Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Kind of always find myself rooting for the escaped prisoner, regardless of whatever hideous crime they may have done. Always something Boys Own Adventures to the story.
                                                                          This guy Khalife seems relatively harmless in the greater scheme of things, just a wee bit of spying and passing information for a foreign power.
                                                                          yeah, same!

Comment

There's another in the US on the run at the moment too . hiding in the woods,stealing stuff bit by bit. Not a guy you want to cross paths with though.

Comment

Are we both thinking the same thing - last-longest bet?

Comment

Went with this treble at 7.35 for the rugby. Free money. Every bookie in tears. Ringing up joe wondering where is their bailout joe.

Comment

Lame make up from 'the weather ' for that pissy July. My dhalias and roses arn't recoving.
                                                                                  My Dahlias are in great shape.

SPOILER

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

My Dahlias are in great shape.

SPOILER

Absolutely stunning. Colours are amazing. Love the half red half yellow.

Comment

A1 Sharon, A1

IMG-20230908-WA0016.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Jeez, what a story and life. Never heard of him before.

Comment

Went with this treble at 7.35 for the rugby. Free money. Every bookie in tears. Ringing up joe wondering where is their bailout joe.
                                                                                          Why pussy around? Just put it all in Ireland to win. Glory or bust. Who cares about the pools.

Comment

So excited!

obviously hope we win, but I'm not too bothered tonight to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                              Jaysus.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                So excited!

obviously hope we win, but I'm not too bothered tonight to win or lose.
                                                                                                Not a classic RWC match thus far, both teams very nervy.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                  26 here though the fan makes it feel more like 23.

Comment

5F6D7350-65C9-4607-9674-A583ABB174D6.jpeg

Comment

Embarrassing LinkedIn style guff from Heaslip

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                        Cringe
                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Cringe
                                                                                                          Are you going to Posie Parkers event on the 16th?

Comment

Enoch going back to the Joy https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...394352388.html

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Not a classic RWC match thus far, both teams very nervy.
                                                                                                              Utter class under pressure over all

Comment

Is that Twitter?

Why does anyone bother with that shite anymore..it's just noisy meaningless drivel

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Is that Twitter?

Why does anyone bother with that shite anymore..it's just noisy meaningless drivel
                                                                                                                  Misery guts pays attention to all platforms to denigrate all
                                                                                                                  rugby posts

Comment

I just saw this bloke in Kingswood running down the road with a cape on...
                                                                                                                    I shouted: "Are you a Superhero...?"
                                                                                                                    He said: "No, I haven't paid for my haircut...!!!"

Comment

9DBD4C30-7D65-4805-B18B-0BF09E9CE706.jpeg
                                                                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Is that Twitter?

Twitter is generally upstream of every other news source. Things trend there a week or two before other new sources. There are often stories on twitter that pop up here a few weeks later. Need to follow the right people though.

Comment

Are you going to Posie Parkers event on the 16th?
                                                                                                                          Yeah I'll be there. Safety in numbers might be a good idea, reckon the counter-protest will turn bad pretty fast. You have my number?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X