This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think thats the situation anyway. Theres definitely more moneyed kids in UCD these days 'doing commerce', while TCD is almost exclusively the domain of the nerds and the geeks due to the explosion of points. What is kinda interesting is the amount of rich kids *choosing* UCD over Trinity because of wanting to hang around with their other rich friends. Its essentially a continuation of the friend relationships from secondary.
    Interesting. Trinity was always the socially (if not always academically) prestigious one back in the day.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Interesting. Trinity was always the socially (if not always academically) prestigious one back in the day.
      maybe its a within dublin vs outside dublin thing. Trinity is definitely socially and academically the prestigious one for those coming from outside dublin and the commuter counties, while within dublin - particularly among the south dub posh schools, i think ucd is now viewed as the socially best one, while trinity is for the more studious type. Don't mean it as a judgement of either - as in, you are probably just as likely to get ahead in the workplace with a strong social game as with a strong study game, so ucd is a perfectly valid choice for people choosing it for that reason. Just interesting that it has changed a bit in recent times.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Trying to get used to the idea of these daily standups, now we have a team of five of us including three full time (but junior) devs. It seems to involve mainly confirming that people have worked hard yesterday and will endeavour to work even harder today. Is this all that management is?
        NO!!!! Definitely not. I occasionally approve people's holiday requests too

Comment

Trying to get used to the idea of these daily standups, now we have a team of five of us including three full time (but junior) devs. It seems to involve mainly confirming that people have worked hard yesterday and will endeavour to work even harder today. Is this all that management is?
          Is this anything to do with the day job or are you doing a 'thanks for the salary lol' while dedicating most of your brain power to your own stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

NO!!!! Definitely not. I occasionally approve people's holiday requests too
            Sometimes I pretend to listen to my teams complaints. Other times, I engage in gossip and backbiting with other managers.

It's no picnic I tell ya.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Is this anything to do with the day job or are you doing a 'thanks for the salary lol' while dedicating most of your brain power to your own stuff?
              hmm i don't know what the line is tbh. like, i feel this has positive benefits to the status of the business school, but thats only a supposition really.

Comment

Of course the big story of today is the 6pm press conference from OpenAI. Online speculation is that we will experience the launch of a personal assistant that can reliably carry out tasks for us (book this thing, organise that thing) through voice activation - a superpowered Siri/Alexa, if you will.

The biggest unknown is whether they launch an updated GPT4 model - e.g. GPT4.5, or even something smaller like GPT 4.2 - a definitive, but much more incremental improvement over current intelligence.

They've turned it into a big deal so it will probably be something substantial.

I suspect history will only record events like this, and not Gaza, or maybe not even poor Ukraine, when it is recording the events of this time period. We are seeing the unfolding of the building blocks of a fully new society with each incremental jump in artificial intelligence. Eventually this tech will allow 100s of millions to be cured of diseases that were previously uncurable, we'll make massive new scientific leaps that unlock things like mass space travel and endless new tech ideas, and a complete shift in how we consider learning and work.
                Interesting about the assistant in the context of something he said recently about deciding now how far we let these AI systems become part of our lives. At some stage will the AI be testifying in court against you?

He was on the All-In pod this week. It is much better than most of the interviews, he is much more open and candid than usual.

Comment

Am listening to the all-in podcast at the moment. yeah the lads are asking interesting questions. Do find Sam actually fascinating as a person - he's not a standard business persona!

Comment

I feel seen with Hitches posts about colleges today

Comment

Other times, I engage in gossip and backbiting with other managers.
                      That's a fairly significant part of my role currently. Trying to figure out how to quantify for my mid-year review

Comment

Brittas Bay? Love the food in that pub where the wife tried to get the husband killed.
                        Tried?

Comment

How common is it to respect the senior people you work with? Is that an occasional luxury in your experience or generally the norm?

Edit: I mean respect as in take seriously, rather than in a "O Captain! My Captain!" sense.
                          Last edited by Denny Crane; 13-05-24, 12:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                            Surely Boeing will go down as some kind of case study into the absolute madness that is modern day society and the obsession with profits above everything. They have had three more high profile incidents over the last 2 days.

"If I had to sum up why Boeing is a terrible company in one chart it would be this (slashed investment vs. aggressive shareholder returns)"
                            If it was just that I would believe you, but realistically it’s not down to that alone. Also using buybacks as a percentage of sales is not a great indicator, if you did both charts relative to profits it would be more realistic. I would say the primary reason is that they were so unfocused/un-coordinated. Heard some frightening stories recently, first hand from the factory, though improving too.

The problem with Boeing is the exact same problem as McDonnell Douglas had in the 1970s. Engineers sit one place, mgmt sit somewhere else. Douglas built great aircraft and McDonnell focused more on financial management, then unsurprisingly when they combined McD employees rose to the top. The issues (as written about very succinctly in The Sporty Game was that, like Boeing today, the engineers sat in Long Beach (Douglas) and the financial managers sat elsewhere. Today the Boeing engineers are in Seattle and the mgmt in Chicago first and then move to Washington… but Can you believe that the Boeing CEO and CFO work from home?? This rot all started when Boeing mgmt left Seattle (for better weather) and thus started the dislocation.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Nope, got back into the country this morning, if somewhat reluctantly.
                              I think you're in debt for several trip reports

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                How common is it to respect the senior people you work with? Is that an occasional luxury in your experience or generally the norm?
                                In my career, I think I've been pretty lucky and generally respected the senior leadership (i.e. the people who work at the strategic level). Some of them have been genuinely outstanding.

Line management is a different story and you can be all kinds of unfortunate, especially in a multinational setting. I would actually say the #1 skill you need to have a successful career is the ability to choose your manager wisely. To the point where you should be prepared to turn down the right job with the wrong manager.

Comment

Lovely to see the constant progress in the world. Not the big things, but just the bit by bit small improvements that really all add up to something special. I think there was something similar with PhD students, minus the sex bit (perhaps), where they were campaigning to be treated as workers and paid accordingly, but then it all kinda fell apart when it was explained that if someone wants to be treated as a worker then there are obligations on behalf of both the employer AND the employee. Think they've settled now on - 24k and its not a job, in preference to 30k and it is a job. Zuut might know more, although his part of the science world has long treated PhDs as actual workers, while the humanities have tended to more have students who've never left and nobody is quite sure what they are up to.

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 13-05-24, 13:48.

Comment

22k with no tax is the SFI number (up from 18k)....Even at that slightly less paltry amount nobody is interested in pursuing...In Belgium and NL you are an employee and it works well. Doing a PhD the Irish way means you're down 4 years on pension contributions which may cause some problems to some people...I would certainly like to have 4 more years service at this point in my life so I could hit the bricks at 55!

Comment

If you disrespect a junior manager due to his stripes , then simply you are a koooont . The only disrespect acceptable is on those who take the piss.

Comment

Lovely to see the constant progress in the world. Not the big things, but just the bit by bit small improvements that really all add up to something special. I think there was something similar with PhD students, minus the sex bit (perhaps), where they were campaigning to be treated as workers and paid accordingly, but then it all kinda fell apart when it was explained that if someone wants to be treated as a worker then there are obligations on behalf of both the employer AND the employee. Think they've settled now on - 24k and its not a job, in preference to 30k and it is a job. Zuut might know more, although his part of the science world has long treated PhDs as actual workers, while the humanities have tended to more have students who've never left and nobody is quite sure what they are up to.

No more 'down tools' then eh?

Comment

ffs am aging badly.

That Belgian post should have said: 2, 1, 3, 4, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, ... 5 (if drunk).

Comment

In my career, I think I've been pretty lucky and generally respected the senior leadership (i.e. the people who work at the strategic level). Some of them have been genuinely outstanding.

Line management is a different story and you can be all kinds of unfortunate, especially in a multinational setting. I would actually say the #1 skill you need to have a successful career is the ability to choose your manager wisely. To the point where you should be prepared to turn down the right job with the wrong manager.
                                            Couldn’t agree more on this, direct manager has the influence to ruin a brilliant job or to magnify a mundane one. Has made me question my own style as a result, I think/hope for the better.

Comment

Edit: I mean respect as in take seriously, rather than in a "O Captain! My Captain!" sense.
                                              In my experience I have both extremes, one I thought was an utter idiot and I moved on as soon as my career would allow, and another who I’d not give a second thought to move with them to another firm.

As a general rule, it can come down to “would I like to be this person if I got that role”, if no, then it’s a bad sign.

Comment

Michael Cohen is on the stand now in NYC with Trump looking on. Must be fairly electric in that courtroom!

To the layman that is me, the case seems fairly open and shut on the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

In my experience I have both extremes, one I thought was an utter idiot and I moved on as soon as my career would allow, and another who I’d not give a second thought to move with them to another firm.

As a general rule, it can come down to “would I like to be this person if I got that role”, if no, then it’s a bad sign.
                                                  IMO, the best managers are the ones who:
                                                  • give you very clear direction as to what is expected of you in terms of outcomes
                                                  • give you the resources you need to achieve said outcomes
                                                  • have your back when the inevitable turf wars blow up
                                                  • get out of your way and trust you to do your job
                                                  • are responsive when you do need them
                                                  • never lie to you - this includes telling you things you would rather not hear about yourself
                                                  • aren't obsessed with their own career advancement to the detriment of everyone who works for them
                                                  • and finally, are able to prove, with word and deed, that they know what the fuck they're talking about

Comment

There are always postives. After Croatia 4 days of eating/drinking i put on half a stone. 2 days with a bug no real eating. Its gone

Comment

Of course the big story of today is the 6pm press conference from OpenAI. Online speculation is that we will experience the launch of a personal assistant that can reliably carry out tasks for us (book this thing, organise that thing) through voice activation - a superpowered Siri/Alexa, if you will.

The biggest unknown is whether they launch an updated GPT4 model - e.g. GPT4.5, or even something smaller like GPT 4.2 - a definitive, but much more incremental improvement over current intelligence.

They've turned it into a big deal so it will probably be something substantial.

I suspect history will only record events like this, and not Gaza, or maybe not even poor Ukraine, when it is recording the events of this time period. We are seeing the unfolding of the building blocks of a fully new society with each incremental jump in artificial intelligence. Eventually this tech will allow 100s of millions to be cured of diseases that were previously uncurable, we'll make massive new scientific leaps that unlock things like mass space travel and endless new tech ideas, and a complete shift in how we consider learning and work.
                                                      Bit in bold has to be trolling - no way you believe this crap surely
                                                      nuts that is some religious nut showed up in the forum going on about heaven there would be pages of mockery but this equally insane nonsense doesn’t get any attention
                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

We will have a new workforce that is essentially free, completely unlimited, and extremely high capability. It absolutely changes everything and will be changing everything very rapidly. There's almost no doubt over this. And this tech will also shortly be jumping out of the computer and into robotic devices, which is a whole new level of world capabilities.

The only question mark we have really is what is the limit of the intelligence under the GPT method. It appears that it is going to be at a very high level, way higher than most people, but its not yet known quite how high.

Comment

Live feed for Open AI event. Starts at 5pm in 5 minutes.

Edit - Looks like its 6pm start.

Last edited by Opr; 13-05-24, 16:06.

Comment

Good lord this is cringe stuff
                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Thats the first swathe of millions definitively out of a job - anyone who works in a call centre. Thats crazy tech. Pour one out for indiabro.

Comment

Thats the first swathe of millions definitively out of a job - anyone who works in a call centre. Thats crazy tech. Pour one out for indiabro.
                                                                I understand the tech is absolutely mind blowing and there are myriad examples of where it has the potential to really change things for the better but why do you seem to cheerlead the widespread loss of livelihoods?

As inevitable as it is. Just don't get why anyone would get the horn over that particular element of it.
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

And the newer version of GPT4 launched, which appears to be about 5% better than the current GPT4.

Edit: 5% better, not 10% better.

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 13-05-24, 18:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I understand the tech is absolutely mind blowing and there are myriad examples of where it has the potential to really change things for the better but why do you seem to cheerlead the widespread loss of livelihoods?

As inevitable as it is. Just don't get why anyone would get the horn over that particular element of it.
                                                                    you've obviously never worked in a call centre! I have. It is the most brutal existence you could ever imagine. There's huge drug problems in US call centres, for example, because of the sheer depression of this existence. Those jobs are now gone and better jobs will appear that involve much less mundanity. Thats progress. Keeping the same shitty thing around 'because its a job' is no way to progress a society, young man.

Comment

What is being wiped out here is horrific jobs and we know they will be replaced by better jobs, as thats what history has told us at every single stage. We should be cheering that on. This is the beginning of the end of people working in drudgery jobs and moving into much better life opportunities - probably ones where we all need to work less also.

Comment

I think you are being incredibly naïve or shortsighted or something. Contact Centres are absolutely beginning to utilise AI to deflect calls/emails etc - but much of this is with "easier" queries. Alot of it though is to assist the agent with the more difficult queries, not replace them, at least in the timescale that you envision.

Millions or 80% of all contact centre workers which i saw you mention on another medium are going nowhere in 2-3 years. Minor shifts yes and more long term it will be an interesting and developing space for sure.

Comment

I do get that, but it's a medium to long game transition. In the meantime there'll be a bunch of people on the scrap heap.
                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

What is being wiped out here is horrific jobs and we know they will be replaced by better jobs, as thats what history has told us at every single stage. We should be cheering that on. This is the beginning of the end of people working in drudgery jobs and moving into much better life opportunities - probably ones where we all need to work less also.
                                                                            For the US it's likely better jobs for some people, and more prison places for people <90 IQ as they fall out of society.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I think you are being incredibly naïve or shortsighted or something. Contact Centres are absolutely beginning to utilise AI to deflect calls/emails etc - but much of this is with "easier" queries. Alot of it though is to assist the agent with the more difficult queries, not replace them, at least in the timescale that you envision.

Millions or 80% of all contact centre workers which i saw you mention on another medium are going nowhere in 2-3 years. Minor shifts yes and more long term it will be an interesting and developing space for sure.
                                                                              ah its not. this tech will be far better at more difficult queries also. all it needs is the right information (which is often too much information for humans to manage). So instead of a team of 500 call centre workers, you will have a team of five people designing questions and answers and feeding info into the model. the big thing is that call centres tend to be quite brutal at answering questions, so the 'tech' that is being competed with (i.e. people) is so brutal, its simple to improve on. There might initially be a hydrid team like Klarna are using (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/klarna-...siemiatkowski/) with half and half human and AI, but then it very quickly becomes less and less human workers as the AI just outperforms. Which is what it will do at every level of complexity. Call centre human workers are going to hugely more expensive and significantly worse and even less empathetic than the AI.

Comment

For the US it's likely better jobs for some people, and more prison places for people <90 IQ as they fall out of society.
                                                                                well on one hand you have degag saying that call centre workers will be kept for the high intellect queries, and on your hand its <90 IQ prison dodgers who work there. The stories are not straight here.

Maybe Trump will bring back the coal mines.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                  I do get that, but it's a medium to long game transition. In the meantime there'll be a bunch of people on the scrap heap.
                                                                                  I'm not sure that is the case. Its a bit like the saying 'if you owe the bank 50k thats your problem, if you owe the bank 50 billion thats the banks problem'. This amount of jobs going this quickly will lead to serious interventions.

Plus there is direct precedence for a shift like this happening, in the early 20th century over 2m telephone assistants who worked connecting phone calls were made redundant in a really short period. almost without notice. there's also an extreme shortage of workers all over the western world at the moment.

Comment

ah its not. this tech will be far better at more difficult queries also. all it needs is the right information (which is often too much information for humans to manage). So instead of a team of 500 call centre workers, you will have a team of five people designing questions and answers and feeding info into the model. the big thing is that call centres tend to be quite brutal at answering questions, so the 'tech' that is being competed with (i.e. people) is so brutal, its simple to improve on. There might initially be a hydrid team like Klarna are using (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/klarna-...siemiatkowski/) with half and half human and AI, but then it very quickly becomes less and less human workers as the AI just outperforms. Which is what it will do at every level of complexity. Call centre human workers are going to hugely more expensive and significantly worse and even less empathetic than the AI.
                                                                                    Which is all great but totally idealistic. Contact Centres are complicated beasts behind it all. Many companies outsource their contact centres to specialist companies for this very reason but most of them are only starting on the journey you are describing now. The AI tech needs to be built, and even the simpler questions are not easy to design and answer, there will still be hallucinations.

Contractually there will be an awful lot to work out also. The specialist companies will need to be payed for the tech as the 500 agents that you mention are their bread and butter. Will the outsourcee want to pay for this / pay enough? Are they open to change currently? Some may but some may not.

The industry will not shift to the degree you think in the timeframe you think.

Ultimately, currently when i need to call a contact centre i want to speak to an agent not deal with an automated system (for the most part) or sent around in loops on an IVR. The time will come when that will change but it's a while off.

Also, at least in Ireland, the dregs of society are not employed in them. You have many people starting out in working life and a few doing it as a part time job close to retirement, parents going back in the workplace a few days of the week etc. In between you have many people in between jobs. Quite alot of college degrees in them actually. And a few people who wont move on definitely and will stay there 20 years, but a few who will make a very good career on the back of it.

Comment

The whole new jobs we can't imagine is surely completely defunct at this point. I haven't seen a single coherent argument around it other than, that is what has happened in the past.

We are in this weird stage where the technology is at the point that it is capable of helping and enhancing us doing tasks. Eventually though it does them better without us. The infection point will happen for almost everything at some point in the coming years. Once we get some level of general intelligence that can reason properly it is game over for almost everything and after we cross that Rubicon it is hard to imagine anything we could do better. New jobs will get created but they will inevitability be done by the machines.

This is so different from anything that has come before that people don't seem to be able to conceptualize and internalize that fact. It also feels quite nihilistic in nature to think about purely because we can't yet imagine what that world would look like but I agree with Hitch that if done properly, in Sam's words, 'it could be unimaginably great'.

History does NOT Predict the Future​

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Which is all great but totally idealistic. Contact Centres are complicated beasts behind it all. Many companies outsource their contact centres to specialist companies for this very reason but most of them are only starting on the journey you are describing now. The AI tech needs to be built, and even the simpler questions are not easy to design and answer, there will still be hallucinations.

Contractually there will be an awful lot to work out also. The specialist companies will need to be payed for the tech as the 500 agents that you mention are their bread and butter. Will the outsourcee want to pay for this / pay enough? Are they open to change currently? Some may but some may not.

The industry will not shift to the degree you think in the timeframe you think.

Ultimately, currently when i need to call a contact centre i want to speak to an agent not deal with an automated system (for the most part) or sent around in loops on an IVR. The time will come when that will change but it's a while off.

Also, at least in Ireland, the dregs of society are not employed in them. You have many people starting out in working life and a few doing it as a part time job close to retirement, parents going back in the workplace a few days of the week etc. In between you have many people in between jobs. Quite alot of college degrees in them actually. And a few people who wont move on definitely and will stay there 20 years, but a few who will make a very good career on the back of it.

The core questions and answers are already designed in any professional call centre. So its actually way easier to automate than most other business functions. But AI like this, and the coming iterations, are also very capable of extrapolating reasonable answers from huge document sets, in a way that humans aren't. Plus the recordings of all the calls are already there for further model training.

I said 2-3 years in order to allow contracts to run out. But its likely it will be the outsourced centres that will be first to market with the outsourced AI agents at a 20x cheaper cost per 'agent'. These are just unbeatable cost savings, along with the promise of much better customer service - nobody will ever again have to wait for personalised help: thats something no call centre currently offers.

Theres bits and pieces to work out on data access, but thats all trivial enough. I already work with a huge multinational that was planning to outsource a lot of this to text agents, the fact that can now be voice agents is next level for them. My wife is also working for a fortune 100 company designing their chat-based replacement to customer service - they will be all over this tomorrow, not next month, not next year. Some industries might lag, but any company with more than 100 customer service reps will be pouring all over this waiting for the first reliable easy to implement system immediately.

Its just that simple - its currently a costly bad cost centre, now it can be a cheap good cost centre.

The big thing is that this is going to be the type of service that can be delivered through all the types of companies that companies already buy from. However you manage your customer calls, that system will - in a few months - be popping up with the option to do everything much cheaper and much better.

They've already rolled out the new service on ChatGPT Premium btw if you have that. Its really really good.

Comment

I predict everyone will turn away from it, and hopefully start buying very old mechanical watches.

Comment

Ute how middle upper middle class people who buy into the ai hype think they aren’t getting their poo pushed in the AI hype delivers scenarios

Comment

Although if you work in the certain protected cartel professions in Ireland prob safe enough

Comment

There is going to be some serious anthropomorphising of these systems with these improvements. Even in the demo it did some quirky things that made me raise an eyebrow, like when they were asking was it good with the instructions on translating between English/Italian and GTP gave the positive affirmation in Italian.

Here it is getting told the news of the upcoming announcement.

Oh my!

Last edited by Opr; 13-05-24, 20:51.

Comment

ha.

Genuinely though, there was an interesting survey today saying only 25% of Irish workers are using AI (mostly secretly) at work. So that means at least 75% are largely oblivious, and probably most of the 25% using it aren't aware of its capabilities. The real opportunity here is to be the AI person, or the person who is working out how another company like your company could be run by these new AI workflows. We've a few years of opportunity here to absolutely make bank while most of the population is oblivious. Anything even slightly AI - become that guy in your company, theres just no putting it back in the box now.

Comment

The core questions and answers are already designed in any professional call centre. So its actually way easier to automate than most other business functions. But AI like this, and the coming iterations, are also very capable of extrapolating reasonable answers from huge document sets, in a way that humans aren't. Plus the recordings of all the calls are already there for further model training.

I said 2-3 years in order to allow contracts to run out. But its likely it will be the outsourced centres that will be first to market with the outsourced AI agents at a 20x cheaper cost per 'agent'. These are just unbeatable cost savings, along with the promise of much better customer service - nobody will ever again have to wait for personalised help: thats something no call centre currently offers.

Theres bits and pieces to work out on data access, but thats all trivial enough. I already work with a huge multinational that was planning to outsource a lot of this to text agents, the fact that can now be voice agents is next level for them. My wife is also working for a fortune 100 company designing their chat-based replacement to customer service - they will be all over this tomorrow, not next month, not next year. Some industries might lag, but any company with more than 100 customer service reps will be pouring all over this waiting for the first reliable easy to implement system immediately.

Its just that simple - its currently a costly bad cost centre, now it can be a cheap good cost centre.

The big thing is that this is going to be the type of service that can be delivered through all the types of companies that companies already buy from. However you manage your customer calls, that system will - in a few months - be popping up with the option to do everything much cheaper and much better.

They've already rolled out the new service on ChatGPT Premium btw if you have that. Its really really good.

Well look, ultimately i'm quite happy to take the unders on the 80% of jobs in that industry being gone in 2-3 years. Not sure how quantifiable it is though.​

Comment

ha.

Genuinely though, there was an interesting survey today saying only 25% of Irish workers are using AI (mostly secretly) at work. So that means at least 75% are largely oblivious, and probably most of the 25% using it aren't aware of its capabilities. The real opportunity here is to be the AI person, or the person who is working out how another company like your company could be run by these new AI workflows. We've a few years of opportunity here to absolutely make bank while most of the population is oblivious. Anything even slightly AI - become that guy in your company, theres just no putting it back in the box now.
                                                                                                      We are explicitly forbidden from using AI (such as chat GPT) by our compliance and ethics policy surprisingly enough companies in the real world don’t want people just dumping commercially sensitive info into these things - thanks for the tip though

Comment

Our biggest problem with AI is getting good clean data to train the models on. Crap in, crap out.

Comment

The poor students that just spent a semester with me learning how to approximately do this.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

We are explicitly forbidden from using AI (such as chat GPT) by our compliance and ethics policy surprisingly enough companies in the real world don’t want people just dumping commercially sensitive info into these things - thanks for the tip though
                                                                                                            you work for a gov dept, yeah?

Comment

Weird how the AI hype merchants cheer on AI taking all the lower class jobs- always with the unstated implication that they themselves will be pivoting to some lovely new job that will allow them to flourish as a human and couldn’t possibly be done better by AI.
                                                                                                              Something tells me AI won’t be improving the plight of the kids mining cobalt in Africa anytime soon

Comment

you work for a gov dept, yeah?

Nope

Comment

Nope
                                                                                                                  ah thought you did. your company is definitely planning to integrate widespread AI, they just haven't told you yet. unless its a small company.

Comment

Weird how the AI hype merchants cheer on AI taking all the lower class jobs- always with the unstated implication that they themselves will be pivoting to some lovely new job that will allow them to flourish as a human and couldn’t possibly be done better by AI.
                                                                                                                    Something tells me AI won’t be improving the plight of the kids mining cobalt in Africa anytime soon
                                                                                                                    I get that you are doing a rugby or horse racing thing here, but we are seeing a new reality unfold here. the best use of your time is working out what direction to steer your career and that the future career of your kid in, not burying your head in the sand. There is literally no putting this back in the box.

Comment

I get that you are doing a rugby or horse racing thing here, but we are seeing a new reality unfold here. the best use of your time is working out what direction to steer your career and that the future career of your kid in, not burying your head in the sand. There is literally no putting this back in the box.
                                                                                                                      Not even in the top 5 things I’m worried about

Comment

Our biggest problem with AI is getting good clean data to train the models on. Crap in, crap out.
                                                                                                                        This is a decent high-level newsletter on banking AI, although maybe you already have enough crappy newsletters in your work inbox, and indeed are probably well ahead of the curve on this: https://evidentinsights.com/ - was recommended to me by a banker who felt he needed to be able to throw out the odd AI term at the odd meeting. I guess though you are talking about 'traditional' AI for quant prediction?

Comment

Not even in the top 5 things I’m worried about
                                                                                                                          6?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X