This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Dam, City/Chelsea regulation was obviously the play. I was trying to come up with markets that would be influenced by points deductions and somehow never considered that one. I wonder how long the 2000 type odds were available after the Everton news broke.

Haven't heard a peep around United being investigated so that seems strange.
    Irrespective of any investigation- its probably a fair price .

Comment

What a clusterfuck at OpenAI. There is a going be a very interesting book there once the full story comes out.
      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Would depend on the actual ruling against City i guess - there is precedent....

https://www.racingpost.com/news/glas...-aMMlA1F0r3yz/

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I doubt the City outcome will be done this season.
        Yeah it is looking ever more likely it won't get sorted for this season and judging from the article Dice posted you would need it to happen in a very specific way of them getting enough of a points deduction that it causes relegation this season rather than any enforced relegation in some other way. Still I'd be happy knowing all that to take a nibble at 2000.

Comment

See the auld Millionaire raffle is back again. 15m revenue and only 6m odd or 42% paid out. Seems rather mean.

*will still buy a few

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
            What a clusterfuck at OpenAI. There is a going be a very interesting book there once the full story comes out.
            Seems like the strategy is 'lets pretend the last five days never happened.' Mad stuff, it's worse than the average GAA dispute.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
              See the auld Millionaire raffle is back again. 15m revenue and only 6m odd or 42% paid out. Seems rather mean.

*will still buy a few
              You'd genuinely have to worry about people that don't have a Millionaire raffle strategy. A few different shops, so you're not overly reliant on the luck of one particular shop. Determining not to look up if you've won until the day after the draw so you don't seem too eager to the luck gods. just standard stuff really.
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

You'd genuinely have to worry about people that don't have a Millionaire raffle strategy. A few different shops, so you're not overly reliant on the luck of one particular shop. Determining not to look up if you've won until the day after the draw so you don't seem too eager to the luck gods. just standard stuff really.
                Pffft luck gods…. Statistical gods are where it’s at…. Buy all your tickets at the same time and all the serial numbers are in a row… sure ya have to win something!

Comment

Just passed Lazares gaff there . About a gazaillion silverfish carrying out his guitar

Comment

Get home quickly Conor , Silversmithfish changing the locks. Blinds are drawn - cant see in.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Seems like the strategy is 'lets pretend the last five days never happened.' Mad stuff, it's worse than the average GAA dispute.
                      Can you imagine being one of those employees that didn't sign the letter threatening to resign...
                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Just having a conversation in work with the department that registers students. I said can we change the date on this offer letter so the course says it starts in January (which it does) rather than last September (which it doesn't). They've got back to me saying that if we want the offer letter to say January (the start date) rather than last September (not the start date) then students can just submit special requests to have special letters done up. Bear in mind we haven't sent out any of these letters yet. I feel like I'm reasoning with a two-year-old with my emailing, while trying to remain as polite as possible.

I hate to come back to you, as I'm sure thats just the system - but surely its reasonable that we would proactively offer letters with the correct course details, such as the start date. It's going to look awfully strange if I need to tell him "here's your offer letter, but you need to make a special request for it to have the correct date on it". As in, its creating work for him that he shouldn't need to have to go through, plus it will come across as quite odd. Maybe for this particular letter, if I just change the date to say January 2024 instead of September 2023, and send it on to him? Would that be ok?

Work - Peripheral [0:30]

Comment

My Dad 's Public Service Card is due to expire and he wants to renew it as he uses it as a bus pass.

The letter posted out gives details on how to renew online. Set up a MyGov ID, from there go to another website and log in under your MyGov ID and complete a form and upload a photo.

All sounds really easy doesn't it....except the website will not accept any photo you upload and gives ridiculous reasons like, the applicant cannot wear glasses (when he's not wearing glasses in the photo) or the applicant must have their eyes open (when his eyes are clearly open) or the applicant must have his mouth closed (even though his mouth is closed in the photo) or, the photo must have no distorting background (even though the photo is taken against a white background)

I tried to upload about 30 different photos and all wear rejected for nonsense reasons

So I tried to call them and lost the will to live after about 35 minutes on hold

I then tried to e-mail them and after 8, yes 8 working days, they responded to say you could drop into a local Intreo Centre to renew. Fuck all other details, it was the most vague, generic e-mail response ever.

So yesterday morning after bringing the 'aul lad to the GP, I spun around to the nearest Intreo Centre only to told told that I'd need to here at latest 8:30am (they don't open until 9:15) to have any chance of been seen on the day you rock up and that there is no point trying to apply online as the website never accepts any photo you upload because it's rubbish and the only alternative is to call the number but you'll be on hold for a minimum of 45 minutes, probably longer.

Sweet.Baby.Jesus.

How can the system be this bad in this day and age?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

My Dad 's Public Service Card is due to expire and he wants to renew it as he uses it as a bus pass.

The letter posted out gives details on how to renew online. Set up a MyGov ID, from there go to another website and log in under your MyGov ID and complete a form and upload a photo.

All sounds really easy doesn't it....except the website will not accept any photo you upload and gives ridiculous reasons like, the applicant cannot wear glasses (when he's not wearing glasses in the photo) or the applicant must have their eyes open (when his eyes are clearly open) or the applicant must have his mouth closed (even though his mouth is closed in the photo) or, the photo must have no distorting background (even though the photo is taken against a white background)

I tried to upload about 30 different photos and all wear rejected for nonsense reasons

So I tried to call them and lost the will to live after about 35 minutes on hold

I then tried to e-mail them and after 8, yes 8 working days, they responded to say you could drop into a local Intreo Centre to renew. Fuck all other details, it was the most vague, generic e-mail response ever.

So yesterday morning after bringing the 'aul lad to the GP, I spun around to the nearest Intreo Centre only to told told that I'd need to here at latest 8:30am (they don't open until 9:15) to have any chance of been seen on the day you rock up and that there is no point trying to apply online as the website never accepts any photo you upload because it's rubbish and the only alternative is to call the number but you'll be on hold for a minimum of 45 minutes, probably longer.

Sweet.Baby.Jesus.

How can the system be this bad in this day and age?
                            Sounds like trying to submit a passport photo, which is a bit of an exact science of random hit/miss. Is there a shadow visible? That often throws them off. What we do for them is on a bright day make sure door are closed and lights are off so there is no direct light source to cast a shadow but there is enough ambient light for the photo. It might be something totally different though with that.

Comment

DANA - Cold Christmas- came up on my Spotify shuffle. I nearly had an M50 Collision. I need to sharpen my reflexes a bit better , i totally overreacted to it just be careful with Christmas playlists lads , a bit of a jump from Greg Lake to Dana - I wasnt ready. I just wasnt readyc

Comment

If you go a pharmacy, loads of them now have a special machine that gets photos in the exact spec. It may be too far away, but the pharmacy in Stillorgan Shopping Centre is brilliant - the lad who runs the photo stand in there is very good and they have a new photo system that is ace.

Comment

But yeah anything to do with public services doesn't feel like its fit for purpose. You genuinely couldn't make up how bad the driving test system is. They had decided to self-design a web system that for security purposes sent out a text message with a login code, but the login code invariably arrived 6 minutes after clicking - send me the code, meaning it had expired by the time you went to enter it. They had also managed to reinvent a map system rather than buy an off-the-shelf version and it was beyond bizarre.

Comment

Sounds like trying to submit a passport photo, which is a bit of an exact science of random hit/miss. Is there a shadow visible? That often throws them off. What we do for them is on a bright day make sure door are closed and lights are off so there is no direct light source to cast a shadow but there is enough ambient light for the photo. It might be something totally different though with that.
                                    This seems to be different. I've renewed passports on line before no problem. The lad behind the counter yesterday gave me a 'shure look it' shrug of the shoulders as he told me trying to use the website is pointless as if it was a well know civil service thing.

Comment

Maybe things were different even these few years ago, but when I got my first PSC in 2017 (I think), I was able to make an appointment at one of the offices, certainly wasn't a first come first served scrum.

Comment

This may (or may not) help Lao Lao

Comment

The whole episode lasted 0.4 Scaramucci's
                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                            DANA - Cold Christmas- came up on my Spotify shuffle. I nearly had an M50 Collision. I need to sharpen my reflexes a bit better , i totally overreacted to it just be careful with Christmas playlists lads , a bit of a jump from Greg Lake to Dana - I wasnt ready. I just wasnt readyc
                                            That reminds me.... there was a Christmas song on Ian Dempsey this morning. Some Elton John one that i'd never heard of before. Always thought there was a moratorium on them until 1st December on radio?

Comment

And now a question for you of UK local knowledge. If you were to go to 2/3 of these places in a week. Where would you pick. Places like Bury. Ive no clue about.

FB_IMG_1700670506724.jpg

Comment

Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao steps down after pleading guilty to breaking anti-money laundering laws.

Comment

Stable Diffusion have released a video model. It will interesting to see if it evolves and gets better as quickly as the image side of things.

People have already produced some pretty creative things using it - Link

Comment

As places to visit, I'd pick Shrewsbury, Harrogate and if you could make it fit either Glasgow of London.
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

But yeah anything to do with public services doesn't feel like its fit for purpose. You genuinely couldn't make up how bad the driving test system is. They had decided to self-design a web system that for security purposes sent out a text message with a login code, but the login code invariably arrived 6 minutes after clicking - send me the code, meaning it had expired by the time you went to enter it. They had also managed to reinvent a map system rather than buy an off-the-shelf version and it was beyond bizarre.
                                                      I couldn't believe last time I went to get a replacement licence. Went to the centre and filled out a form in pen, they then took this form, along with a scan of my current licence. Put it in an envelope to be sent to the office that makes up the new licence .

I think it actually was delivered pretty quick, but that seems like just creating admin in a world of tech solutions
                                                      airport, lol

Comment

On the driving test website they operate some kind of queuing system at peak times just to use the website. So when you go to the website it tells you are in a queue to access the website and it will load shortly. I don't think I have ever seen that outside of buying tickets.

Last edited by Opr; 22-11-23, 20:50.

Comment

On the driving test website they operate some kind of queuing system at peak times just to use the website. So when you go to the website it tells you are in a queue to access the website and it will load shortly. I don't think I have ever seen that outside of buying tickets.

Yes!!! This is the one that I've managed to etch out of my memory until now. Like how much could the load possibly be? Even if everyone under 25 in the country was simultaneously on the website (this was just to read the actual webpages). Just the most incredibly bizarre choices made - almost like they were trying to reinvent the internet and instead invented the minitel. Theres was quite a few others about how they released driving test dates.

My basic theory is that because nobody who rings Joe, or no politician, is at the stage of booking a driving test, this being now a long-gone memory, that this can amble on as prime-ineptitude for far longer than you would expect as there's nobody shouting at them to cop on. Unlike, say, paying taxes, queuing in Dublin airport, looking after kids with special needs, issuing passports, cancer checks etc, which get solved or at least addressed relatively quickly as the right type of people are complaining about the ineptitude in those arenas.

The problem though is - its no wonder then that young people never support the main political parties, as their only interaction with the real government is in things like the driving test and they think to themselves - holy mother of lord, anything can be better than the current government if thats what they are running.

Comment

The chat reminds me that I need to renew my driving licence... do I need to get a public services card in order to do that?

Comment

Sounds like what routinely happens when you let some senior dev decide what works best for him.
                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                The chat reminds me that I need to renew my driving licence... do I need to get a public services card in order to do that?
                                                                Or make an appointment for an in person renewal...I did the latter this year..pretty easy.

Comment

This guy is going places.

Comment

I renewed my driver's licence in a few minutes online through the NDLS website by logging in with the MyGovID thing.

I did this evening however fail to properly upload the documentation for a poker site. Had a strange nostalgia, more for live cash. Actually sat there playing play money as I couldn't deposit. Some amount of years since I had played a hand of online poker (HU vs a bot on a website notwithstanding).

Comment

This guy is going places.

I'd prefer Rosemary Scanlan but each to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                        This story just keeps on giving. There are now claims that a letter was sent to the board before Sam's removal claiming they had made a significant breakthrough towards AGI which he isn't treating with enough caution and they think could destroy humanity.

OpenAI researchers warned board of AI breakthrough ahead of CEO ouster

zuutroy This new superintelligence is apparently very good at maths

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                          I renewed my driver's licence in a few minutes online through the NDLS website by logging in with the MyGovID thing.
                                                                          The way I read it I thought I need to get a MyGov card and a validated phone number to be able to use the online MyGov ID

Comment

With extreme populists winning votes all over the place you can see our own extreme right wing , anti Europe, anti immigration party start to lift the sheep's clothing they have been wearing to persuade the terminally gullible that they had changed.

Comment

The Strange $55 Million Saga of a Netflix Series You’ll Never See

What a story!

Mr. Rinsch had begun using what remained of the $11 million that Netflix had wired his production company to place bets on crypto. He transferred more than $4 million from his Schwab account to an account on the Kraken exchange and bought Dogecoin, a dog-themed cryptocurrency, according to an account statement reviewed by The Times. Unlike his stock market investments, this one paid off: When he liquidated his Dogecoin positions in May 2021, he had a balance of nearly $27 million.

“Thank you and god bless crypto,” an elated Mr. Rinsch wrote in an online chat with a Kraken representative.

Comment

The way I read it I thought I need to get a MyGov card and a validated phone number to be able to use the online MyGov ID
                                                                                Unless it has changed you needed a PSC card to get the higher-level of access needed for a MyGovID that allows you to do all the fancy things. And it might be up to six months wait to get a PSC.

Comment

This is a good video from Sam Altman explaining in laypersons terms what good super-AI looks like. Just a tiktok, so only lasts a minute: https://www.tiktok.com/@hardfork/vid..._t=8haNIfZP2WH

Comment

Unless it has changed you needed a PSC card to get the higher-level of access needed for a MyGovID that allows you to do all the fancy things. And it might be up to six months wait to get a PSC.
                                                                                    So you can't apply for a driving licence renewal until it is within two months of expiry
                                                                                    To get a driving licence renewal you need a MyGovID
                                                                                    To get a MyGovID you need a validated MyGov card
                                                                                    There is a 6 month wait for card

Tuttle Buttle

Hopefully Hitch is wrong about the 6 months

Comment

Might be old information. But we both applied for it in the house and that was the wait each time - in 2021 and 2022.

Comment

How do these guys just get the money wired to them to use without any oversight? And I assume no matter what happens, will pretty much get away with wasting it with very little consequences beyond not being able to do it again in the future.

It is crazy the older you get and seeing how much god damn money there is in the world, how much of it is just wasted and how many people get away with spoofing their way through life and grabbing hold of big chunks of dough by sheer brazenness. And other people are working hard for minimum wage. We humans are such strange creatures and our world makes no sense when you step back and examine things semi-objectively!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Or make an appointment for an in person renewal...I did the latter this year..pretty easy.
                                                                                          Yep, did same in Leopardstown - in and out in 15 mins

Comment

Ronnie O Sullivan documentary is out, 'The Edge of Everything'. Getting pretty decent reviews.

Comment

I think Lao would enjoy this book (and might have some equally scurrilous tales from the high seas)

Comment

Imagine the kind of commercial stuff we are going to see coming to market soon when people are already hacking this stuff together at home, I gave AI eyes and a body.

Comment

One of the intriguing questions about AI becoming sentient aware. Obviously the potential is endless with continuous and autonomous learning. However even for us puny humans we still (in the main) have the existential crises of what happens to us after we die. An AI potentially is immortal , however surely the question will occur to them if they develop the equivalent of an Ego. It will be interesting to see how/if they hypostasise their own existence and if they come to any conclusions as to their purpose or the point of existence without some kind of (whatever the equivalent to AI dopamine) ultimate goal. It’s crazy to contemplate I guess however, us humans ie the Brain being so under utilised , perhaps our kids today (if nor wiped out by AI) will have some kind of uploaded intelligence and how we/they actual process data may change and we ourselves instead of fearing AI will in fact be part of it.

*meh just typed this whilst eating a tuna sambo. Rambling I guess.

Comment

Interested to see how Klassical Dream goes on its jumps debut in the first at Thurles. Skybet taking no chances and have it in at 1/500 for a top 3 place lol

Comment

On the plus side they really are infalting the prices outside the top 3 in the market. Few shekels on Coastgard Lady to benefit from any chinks and finish in the top 3 @ 18s

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                        Interested to see how Klassical Dream goes on its jumps debut in the first at Thurles. Skybet taking no chances and have it in at 1/500 for a top 3 place lol
                                                                                                        Looks like he'll take to it better than I was expecting.
                                                                                                        1/500 should be a lay about any novice getting around.

Comment

Surely Sparkling Duke is the nap of the day in the next.

Comment

Looks like he'll take to it better than I was expecting.
                                                                                                            1/500 should be a lay about any novice getting around.
                                                                                                            Surely there isnt a fool on the planet to take that bet .

Comment

Surely Sparkling Duke is the nap of the day in the next.
                                                                                                              clearly overburdened by his name

Comment

My American colleague seems to be quite proud of the fact that his contribution to the Thanksgiving table will be sweet potato with marshmallows. WTAF?

Comment

My American colleague seems to be quite proud of the fact that his contribution to the Thanksgiving table will be sweet potato with marshmallows. WTAF?
                                                                                                                  Does he mean like a sweet potato pie?
                                                                                                                  Sweet potato pie recipe | BBC Good Food
                                                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I tasted pumpkin pie once. It was vile.

Comment

I tasted pumpkin pie once. It was vile.
                                                                                                                      What about a pumpkin spiced latte?
                                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Candied yams. Mad bastards
                                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

The ratio was a problem initially but I was easily able to edit the photo to get it into the correct 4:3 portrait ratio

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X