This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Pity I'm in the office today and don't get to witness eldest's first hangover.
    son number 1 is at reading festival for the next 3 days. he definitely doesn't take after his father, not really into drinking (he'll have a few because his mates want him to, but that's it) and definitely not into drugs! We'll see if that changes after the festival!

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

What age, and how sure are you that she (I think your eldest is a girl from memory) has a hangover, and that it is her first? I doubt it'll deter her, given the severity of some hangovers I had back in the day that didn't deter me.
      She's nearly 17 so no big deal really. Surprised it hasn't happened before tbh.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

son number 1 is at reading festival for the next 3 days. he definitely doesn't take after his father, not really into drinking (he'll have a few because his mates want him to, but that's it) and definitely not into drugs! We'll see if that changes after the festival!
        You and SP are bad at naming things.

Reading has him now.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

You and SP are bad at naming things.

Reading has him now.

little fecker was convinced Edinburgh would allow him to defer (they didn't) so he's not sorted any accommodation over there, and whilst he's listening to shite music and getting drunk with his mates and getting down with the ladiiieeesss, yours truly is scrambling to find him something half decent for the start of september! he's gonna pay for this in the distant future!!!

Comment

Pity I'm in the office today and don't get to witness eldest's first hangover.

If she's done it properly, she'll still be in ribbons when you get home. If she is OK, you need to tell her to up her game next time

Comment

I'm sure we have all had some epic hangovers

I remember a great night out in Ballybunnion aged 17 complete with getting my wear at the local disco lol, cousins mad bastard mate shinnying up a drainpipe because he thought he saw a woman undressing, Def Leopard concert and various other shenanigans
              Next day were all hanging like fuck. Into this quaint tea house with old dears all around. But like that Whitnail and I scene

Best cup of tea I've ever had though

Met up with a couple of girls later and remember being awkward around one of them lol (didn't remember her from the night before)

Older Cuz collects us and gives us tips in case we're quizzed by the folks "ye had a few drinks but didn't like it". etc
              They knew well we were hanging like mofus as straight to the cot to sleep it off. Us thinking we'd pulled off a masterful deception
              ​​​​​

Comment

Terrible Leaving cert results night in south Tipp

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Damn I should have set up a twitch stream
                  was blissfully unaware until your post

assume it’s one below?
                  absolutely nauseating as expected
                  “FAZ” really let himself down with this

Surely this is the worst ad of all time . Embarrassing. Imo

Comment

[QUOTE=Solksjaer!;n1738903]

Comment

Despite being a life long teetotaler,
                      I've actually had 3 hangovers.
                      Nothing pious just have a sweet tooth
                      & didn't try hard enough to acquire a taste.

Worst one was the night a greyhound I owned
                      won a couple of grand in a race at Harolds Cross.
                      Lads convinced me to have a baby Guinness,
                      Tia Maria in a shot glass with a Baileys head.
                      Very sweet, slipped down nicely,
                      had another ..... and another .....

Difficult to maintain your dignity while
                      kneeling on the floor of the Jax in Coppers
                      talking to God on the great white telephone.

A nurse who happened to be there made me better.

Comment

Hole in one in the golf this morning

Hybrid 165 yrds over water into a stiff breeze. Lovely strike and trajectory. Dropped 5 feet from front pin and rolled in. Lots of high fiving and whooping on the tee box.
                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Hybrid 165 yrds over water into a stiff breeze. Lovely strike and trajectory. Dropped 5 feet from front pin and rolled in. Lots of high fiving and whooping on the tee box.
                          Brilliant. Well done.

Comment

Comment

FFS

Was trying to quote Wombatman and end up reposting my Rick Roll attempt on Solks

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Congrats man!
                                Did you do the traditional round of drinks or is that still a thing?

Brother in law had one last year. He's an accountant and remembered there were exactly 11 people in the bar!​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Congrats man!

Brother in law had one last year. He's an accountant and remembered there were exactly 11 people in the bar!
                                  Golf insurance used to pay out for a round of drinks if you got a hole in one up until 2-3 years ago- must have been dropped cos bandits were taking advantage
                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Congrats man!

Brother in law had one last year. He's an accountant and remembered there were exactly 11 people in the bar!
                                    No bar open at the club so just teas, coffees and chocolate bars. My second hole in one but first one was out by myself. Nice to have had a couple of players with me.

Cregmore Park GC. 16th hole.

Rory has only had one while on tour
                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Surely this is the worst ad of all time . Embarrassing. Imo

I have to leap at the remote if that ad comes on. Once the song gets in my head it's there for the rest of the day. Terribly annoying ad.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Golf insurance used to pay out for a round of drinks if you got a hole in one up until 2-3 years ago- must have been dropped cos bandits were taking advantage
                                        at my club in London, you just bought a bottle of whiskey or rum or whatever took your fancy (at your local supermarket) and left it on the bar for all to enjoy whenever they fancied it. seemed like a great way to do it.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

The line 'Rich men north of Richmound' presumably refers to politicians in Washington.

Comment

Trump apparently claimed to be < 100Kg on his rap sheet, no one had the balls to make him stand on a scales

F4cqhtxXoAAx6Y4?format=jpg&amp;name=small.jpg

Comment

Talking about powerful songs. I heard this for the first time a few days ago. I completely missed it when it was released probably because at that stage I had trained to tune Blunt's music out but man this video/song!

Comment

The whole response video that SP posted a snippet from above is well worth watching. I was extremely confused to see the different sides of the media attack the song from all sorts of angles. Even on Reddit, the comments would usually get flooded with one side or another and I just presumed it was bots.

We hear loads about what is it like to have social media drive a conversation but I don't use it nearly enough on political issues to have seen that firsthand until now. Its ability to drive narrative, especially with loads of fake content and LLMs narratives is going to make the future painful. I genuinely viewed it as a call to come together which is the antithesis of the division being sown in pretty much all areas of society,

Last edited by Opr; 26-08-23, 22:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                    The whole response video that SP posted a snippet from above is well worth watching. I was extremely confused to see the different sides of the media attack the song from all sorts of angles. Even on Reddit, the comments would usually get flooded with one side or another and I just presumed it was bots.

We hear loads about what is it like to have social media drive a conversation but I don't use it nearly enough on political issues to have seen that firsthand until now. Its ability to drive narrative, especially with loads of fake content and LLMs narratives is going to make the future painful. I genuinely viewed it as a call to come together which is the antithesis of the division being sown in pretty much all areas of society,

​​​​​​Society is good when you start looking around you.
                                                    Don't mean to be preachy or anything but SM is like those fly infested swamp pools you see sometimes in the mountains on your way up to the top with clean air and a good view

​​​​
                                                    edit With= to

Comment

Don't mean to be preachy or anything but SM is like those fly infested swamp pools you see sometimes in the mountains on your way up to the top with clean air and a good view

​​​​
                                                      edit With= to

I accidentally came across an online TERF fight. I have all of that filtered out. It's like there's a huge bitter completely irrelevant war going on online for a subsection of Irish and UK people. Meanwhile the rest of the world carries on mostly blissfully unaware
                                                      ​​​​

Comment

I was more commenting on the power of it than commenting on society at large. I am not even talking about FB, Insta, etc as I don't use them but just things like youtube comments, reddit, newspaper article comments, etc. There were some incredible hit pieces written about that song in mainstream media that seemed completely mad. The Guardian had a piece all about how it was some right-wing anthem. I was reading this article laughing but then you go to see the reaction on a reddit thread and you end up feeling like you are the crazy person for questioning it and maybe the article has some validity. If you only exist within that bubble without any frame of reference it is completely understandable how people become entrenched in these mad beliefs. Technology now allows anyone to foster an army of bots to try to drown out the signal in the noise of a crowd with whatever belief they want to foster.

Comment

Ran 16 miles (well 8 miles out 8 miles back) of the Waterford Greenway this morning.

Holy fuck it's absolutely stunning. Waterford Co Co deserve a massive pat on the back. A fantastic amenity.

Am tempted to drive to Dungarvan every Sunday morn to run it.
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Was out in Dalkey yesterday for the lobster fest.
                                                            Good craic but some absolutely shameless gouging.
                                                            €20 for a lobster roll that had absolutely fuck all in it.
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                              Was out in Dalkey yesterday for the lobster fest.
                                                              Good craic but some absolutely shameless gouging.
                                                              €20 for a lobster roll that had absolutely fuck all in it.
                                                              You shelled out for it.

Comment

Poor gif posting effort
                                                                Last edited by Solksjaer!; 27-08-23, 22:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                  Ran 16 miles (well 8 miles out 8 miles back) of the Waterford Greenway this morning.

Holy fuck it's absolutely stunning. Waterford Co Co deserve a massive pat on the back. A fantastic amenity.

Am tempted to drive to Dungarvan every Sunday morn to run it.
                                                                  I think Waterford (apart from Waterford city) is one of the top 3 counties in Ireland.

Comment

'tis the time for new year resolutions and the first is - I'm going to try to completely boycott Irish news for at least the next few months. Reading some newspapers online this morning and it was all about just the most inane stuff - like all local gossip rather than actual meaningful news which has you thinking about directions that things are going in. But - what should I be reading instead? I've no real interest in political news, so the much lauded Foreign Policy is out. Have been experimenting with adding Hackernews into the mix due to OPRs frequent links to there, but it doesn't seem to have a great newsflow. Where is a good website that gives decent newsflow on things like new ideas, new tech developments, etc?
                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I think Waterford (apart from Waterford city) is one of the top 3 counties in Ireland.
                                                                      Although they're all a bit blaa-zé down there

Comment

The other big new year resolution is around food purchasing. I suspect we could be wasting maybe 1.5k a month on poor food-buying decisions. It's an astronomical amount of money. That wastage includes things like bad quality takeaways for pure convenience (possibly 50-60 euros a pop, usually for manky pizza), food bought but not used, buying things like coffees out when really home coffee in a canister is the exact same quality, buying things 'as needed' compared to planning the weekly shop in advance.

The rather exciting plan is to use the food budget savings 50:50 to (1) pay down a bit of credit card debt that has built up, and (2) to book family flights to Tokyo for next Easter. Could be essentially a free mega-trip just by planning things a small bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                          'tis the time for new year resolutions and the first is - I'm going to try to completely boycott Irish news for at least the next few months. Reading some newspapers online this morning and it was all about just the most inane stuff - like all local gossip rather than actual meaningful news which has you thinking about directions that things are going in. But - what should I be reading instead? I've no real interest in political news, so the much lauded Foreign Policy is out. Have been experimenting with adding Hackernews into the mix due to OPRs frequent links to there, but it doesn't seem to have a great newsflow. Where is a good website that gives decent newsflow on things like new ideas, new tech developments, etc?
                                                                          August is renowned as being silly season shite when it comes to Irish news.

Also; we are a small country and the world is big. Compared to what's going on in the wider world, we don't really have much that is actually newsworthy - but we are quite self-obsessed and parochial, hence the dramatic over-coverage of what is essentially fluff (like Tubridy-gate for example).

Comment

The other big new year resolution is around food purchasing. I suspect we could be wasting maybe 1.5k a month on poor food-buying decisions. It's an astronomical amount of money. That wastage includes things like bad quality takeaways for pure convenience (possibly 50-60 euros a pop, usually for manky pizza), food bought but not used, buying things like coffees out when really home coffee in a canister is the exact same quality, buying things 'as needed' compared to planning the weekly shop in advance.

The rather exciting plan is to use the food budget savings 50:50 to (1) pay down a bit of credit card debt that has built up, and (2) to book family flights to Tokyo for next Easter. Could be essentially a free mega-trip just by planning things a small bit better.
                                                                            1.5k p/m.

Do you have any handle on how much you actually spend on groceries? I don't really...suspect we spend about that in total although could be dramatically wrong.

Comment

Reckon I get takeaway food about 4 times a year...always Indian. There isn't a single place that I would trust to reliably deliver pizza to a reproducible, good standard.

Comment

1.5k p/m.

Do you have any handle on how much you actually spend on groceries? I don't really...suspect we spend about that in total although could be dramatically wrong.
                                                                                I'd be surprised if we spent more than 1k a month on food/drinks on average, even including a takeaway once every couple of weeks. We have pizza every Friday generally, but I make it at home and it's better than almost all takeaway pizza you can get I'd wager.

Comment

August is renowned as being silly season shite when it comes to Irish news.

Also; we are a small country and the world is big. Compared to what's going on in the wider world, we don't really have much that is actually newsworthy - but we are quite self-obsessed and parochial, hence the dramatic over-coverage of what is essentially fluff (like Tubridy-gate for example).

Vogue made "Spenny" late for his golf game as she was picking up her favourite triple fermented Himalayan Yak milk tea in Nobo (to die for) in the "Rover" but everything was ok in the end as Theodore did something that was sooooooooo amazing and cute and they all laughed about it.

Comment

1.5k p/m.

I've no idea tbh. We're paid quite a lot now the wifes job has taken off, and every month everything is gone, so something is going wrong. I suspect its all the little incidentals and micro spendings as we keep an eye on the bigger expenses. Although now I say it out loud, I'm just realising we've taken on 25k a year in the brother-in-laws uni fees and accommodation, which might be a somewhat significant factor.

Comment

I've no idea tbh. We're paid quite a lot now the wifes job has taken off, and every month everything is gone, so something is going wrong. I suspect its all the little incidentals and micro spendings as we keep an eye on the bigger expenses. Although now I say it out loud, I'm just realising we've taken on 25k a year in the brother-in-laws uni fees and accommodation, which might be a somewhat significant factor.
                                                                                      You're not his parents, this seems insanely generous.

Is this on the understanding that he will pay you back this money eventually? I'd be looking to get that in writing myself (possibly this makes me a very bad person ).

Comment

Speaking of household expenses, ready to do my annual TV\BB switching event except still awaiting fibre broadband and feeling some empathy with the Gaza Strip:

Untitled.jpg

Comment

Like what the hell is going on there? It's been this way for the last 4 years.

Possibly explained by the fact the average age is >150 years old and nobody cares.

Comment

1.5K a month on food seems ridic excessive even considering family.

​​​​​Check your bank statements for all DD and credit transfers and cancel the superfluous subscriptions.

BIL to get a part time job - law students working in the shop were doing 2 days a week including w/e

You could build a micro home type deal in the back garden maybe (not sure about planning permission) and he could live there for a couple of years although neither of you might like that option. Be far cheaper than paying for his rent.

Comment

1.5K a month on food seems ridic excessive even considering family.

​​​​​Check your bank statements for all DD and credit transfers and cancel the superfluous subscriptions.

BIL to get a part time job - law students working in the shop were doing 2 days a week including w/e

You could build a micro home type deal in the back garden maybe (not sure about planning permission) and he could live there for a couple of years although neither of you might like that option. Be far cheaper than paying for his rent.
                                                                                              Yeah there may be some superflous subs and things like that. Its €16k fees, €9k accommodation. Then he has a part-time job to pay his living expenses.

Comment

I thought accomodation would be more.
                                                                                                Christ those are eye watering fees. I'm way out of touch!

Comment

Need to actually check it out, but by 1.5k I mean the excess rather than the actual amount. But maybe food is a loose term - its more 'day-to-day living stuff'. That could include coffees out when working, or lunches, or amazon buys or whatever. I suspect there's just a gigantic amount of waste in that whole category of spending that manages to escape scrutiny because every individual item is so small.

E.g. Raoul is taking above about his annual BB/TV day, but how many of us have an annual 'do I need that lettuce' day. Yet its probably the lettuce or equivalent that kills us all financially because there's a thousand of those transactions.

Comment

I thought accomodation would be more.
                                                                                                    Christ those are eye watering fees. I'm way out of touch!
                                                                                                    Yeah, non-EU fees. They're brutal. Although having said that, an undergrad fee for an Irish student in sciences is about €13k, its just that people don't see it as €10k of the fee is paid directly by the government to the uni on behalf of the local student. Someone has to pay for zuuts search for the next great semiconductor.

Comment

You're not his parents, this seems insanely generous.

Is this on the understanding that he will pay you back this money eventually? I'd be looking to get that in writing myself (possibly this makes me a very bad person ).
                                                                                                      ha.

no, I think we just suck it up. ah its grand. I feel I'm running a net profit on the wife* in any case, so its all good.

*financebro4lif

Comment

Love everyone scoffing at 1.5k when that was just the excess! We spend €300-€350 on groceries and probably the same on eating out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                          Love everyone scoffing at 1.5k when that was just the excess! We spend €300-€350 on groceries and probably the same on eating out.
                                                                                                          yeah, but you survive on tofu

Comment

Need to actually check it out, but by 1.5k I mean the excess rather than the actual amount. But maybe food is a loose term - its more 'day-to-day living stuff'. That could include coffees out when working, or lunches, or amazon buys or whatever. I suspect there's just a gigantic amount of waste in that whole category of spending that manages to escape scrutiny because every individual item is so small.

E.g. Raoul is taking above about his annual BB/TV day, but how many of us have an annual 'do I need that lettuce' day. Yet its probably the lettuce or equivalent that kills us all financially because there's a thousand of those transactions.
                                                                                                            I reckon we spend about 3\3.5k a month in that micro transaction category (or at least via the joint account anyway). The only macro transaction is the mortgage which is more or less coming under control now.

It's (I reckon in somewhat decreasing order):
                                                                                                            • groceries
                                                                                                            • TV\BB\Spotify etc subs
                                                                                                            • diesel for car (just one and we don't do much driving)
                                                                                                            • kids clothes
                                                                                                            • other entertainment (cinema, kids outings etc)
                                                                                                            • 'the dog' (reckon we spend 70/80 p/m between food, treats and her quarterly makeover)
                                                                                                            • 4 * mobiles @15 p/m with Gomo
                                                                                                            • odd bit of pharmacy shopping (going up suspiciously and reckon daughters makeup spending is related)
                                                                                                            • sundry other crap like school books, garden stuff etc etc
                                                                                                            fairly standard?

Comment

Although HH I think you will be richer by a few quid in mid-Sept, unless there is a fairly dramatic Ukrainian breakout. They have increased the pace lately but the lack of air support seems to really hinder their progress.

Comment

Looks like a forensic examination of all spending is in order there HH. I'd say it will be an eye opener for you.

Are you the type to get Helmans Mayo and Heinz ketchup etc? They are 3x as expensive and exactly the same ingredients.

Do you a list with the categories Need and Want

Need list - go through each item and check is their an equivalent cheaper alternative
                                                                                                                Want list - can we do without it, can we do it cheaper

If Amazon was a culprit for a few hundred a month you could just ban it for a month or 2 and see if your life was irrevocably damaged by the lack!

Obviously poker splurges are a perfectly acceptable category
                                                                                                                ​​​​​​and not to be written down and only to be hazily remembered as possible break evens

Comment

Requested my credit record from the central bank on Friday just because. Surprisingly little faff to it, just upload some proof of identity documents and fill out an online form, that's it. I wonder how long it'll take though.

Comment

I reckon we spend about 3\3.5k a month in that micro transaction category (or at least via the joint account anyway). The only macro transaction is the mortgage which is more or less coming under control now.

It's (I reckon in somewhat decreasing order):
                                                                                                                    • groceries
                                                                                                                    • TV\BB\Spotify etc subs
                                                                                                                    • diesel for car (just one and we don't do much driving)
                                                                                                                    • kids clothes
                                                                                                                    • other entertainment (cinema, kids outings etc)
                                                                                                                    • 'the dog' (reckon we spend 70/80 p/m between food, treats and her quarterly makeover)
                                                                                                                    • 4 * mobiles @15 p/m with Gomo
                                                                                                                    • odd bit of pharmacy shopping (going up suspiciously and reckon daughters makeup spending is related)
                                                                                                                    • sundry other crap like school books, garden stuff etc etc
                                                                                                                    fairly standard?
                                                                                                                    3.3k plus children's allowance goes into our joint account and covers all household/child expenses except holidays.

Comment

Sounds like 100 a year on something like YNAB would pay for itself very quickly for Hitch

Comment

American tourists come across as so gormless. There's something unsettling about how earnest they are.

The ones pottering around town are probably top tier, dropping five figures on a family holiday to watch a college football game.

Comment

yeah, but you survive on tofu
                                                                                                                          I survive because my girlfriend loves cooking so I don't even remember what it is, and don't question the ambiguous Hungarian delicacy before me that I can't pronounce.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X