This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

​​​​​​Amazing how far technology has advanced that this is now a valid statement!

I could count a minimum of 15/20 errors on any 30 min trip in Dublin Red lights are for pussies - bonus points if you go through at 40mph while distracted
    Signalling is now optional
    Tailgating is mandatory and a great release for dickless wonders who haven't been able to get their bully on since school
    Merge actually means do not let the other guy in under any circumstance as he's obviously trying to steal your slot
    Cutting in with 2 foot clearance is a sign of a great driver
    Under no circumstances should you drive into the turn right box and actually activate the sensor which will give you a filter light., No, sit there like a drooling moron for 3 light cycles and wonder why the entire world is beeping at you then and only then break a red dangerously because obviously the light is broken somehow
    ​​​​​
    The end game would probably be to remove human drivers from the roads completely except maybe in certain designated zones. That way you can create a closed system with all the autonomous vehicles talking to each other making the risk of accidents almost zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

The end game would probably be to remove human drivers from the roads completely except maybe in certain designated zones. That way you can create a closed system with all the autonomous vehicles talking to each other making the risk of accidents almost zero.
      You'd have to remove the human cyclists and human pedestrians too though, not very easy to do that.

Comment

Who is the Electricity broker lad here, Dinkys or Degags?

Anyway, what does anyone make of Waterpower.ie for Electricty supply?
        Day / Night / 24-hour Rate
        Average Price 0.3408 0.2481 0.2705

Or what tricks do the wise BBV have up their sleeves, Bonkers and Switcher.ie dont seem to be all that great for deals.
        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

This could be wrong as it's 2nd hand info but it made sense to me. My current boss used to work for a bank, he said when the ATMs can't determine if you have the money to withdraw, they still pay out and just assume they can chase you for it later. :
          That would have been the case with some offline systems but no one has used anything like that since c.2005, it absolutely would not be expected to be built in to any modern network but a similar system may not be far from what I would speculate to have been the issue.

My guess is that when their core banking system goes offline for whatever reason (we know that balances weren't available all day) in that case a stand in server would kick in to authorise transactions based on last nights balance. Probably a bug in that it was not paying attention to either actual or available balance. A stand in server is something that would be rarely used and then usually only for short time, so it probably doesn't get the kind of testing it should.
          We did a good bit of thinking yesterday about how and why and how it happened and the only conclusion we have so far is that it is A/ that it is definitely a bug and B/ There but for the grace of god go I .
          I will get all the gory details in a couple of weeks when the dust settles.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Or what tricks do the wise BBV have up their sleeves, Bonkers and Switcher.ie dont seem to be all that great for deals.
            It's me but only do Commercial
            is that a tracker rate given the "average price"?
            EX vat?

​​​​
            Had a quick ganders at their website but it wasn't very phone user friendly but the rates quoted there were higher (could be those are their fixed rates)

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

You'd have to remove the human cyclists and human pedestrians too though, not very easy to do that.
              The cars have no blind spots and behave very cautiously around other objects, so whilst I'm sure there would be some accidents, it would mainly be cyclists colliding with stopped cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I've never been to SF and it feels like a big gap in 'places you should go'. Recommend - yay\nay?
                Yes, definitely recommend. I was there for work so didn't do that much, but what I did I enjoyed. It's a great city to cycle around on, although you need an ebike if you are going to tackle the hills! The micro climates are fun, I cycled out over the golden gate bridge on the last day but there was so much fog I couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of me!

Theres lots of cool very different neighbourhoods to explore, and the parks are amazing. It's a city very much in touch with it's history, from the beat poets to the hippes I. Haight Ashbury.

Prices there are truly bananas. 10 dollars for a small punnet of grapes, lunch for just me was between 25 dollars and 40 each day. Especially considering you can get a fancy three course meal with drinks for 50 dollars in Mexico city. The only reasonable food I got was at in an out burger.

Comment

Duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

It's me but only do Commercial
                    is that a tracker rate given the "average price"?
                    EX vat?

​​​​
                    Had a quick ganders at their website but it wasn't very phone user friendly but the rates quoted there were higher (could be those are their fixed rates)
                    Sound, I knew it was yourself

Yeah they emailed me out their variable rate over the last 19 months, full monthly breakdown table.

I guess am I chancing that rates go mental over Christmas again (their Dec 22 rate was 45c/unit) and ride the wave out until they go back to presumably cheaper than fixed rates prices?
                    SPOILER

Domestic Day (per kWh ex. VAT@ 9%) Night (per kWh ex. VAT@ 9%) 24-Hour (per kWh ex. VAT@ 9%)
                    Jan-22 0.3504 0.2068 0.1911
                    Feb-22 0.2425 0.1867 0.1916
                    Mar-22 0.4581 0.3130 0.2874
                    Apr-22 0.3496 0.2757 0.2111
                    May-22 0.2660 0.2020 0.1445
                    Jun-22 0.3066 0.2502 0.1827
                    Jul-22 0.4205 0.3129 0.2628
                    Aug-22 0.5655 0.4550 0.3853
                    Sep-22 0.4355 0.3367 0.4106
                    Oct-22 0.2894 0.1904 0.2703
                    Nov-22 0.3306 0.2125 0.3001
                    Dec-22 0.4887 0.3519 0.4516
                    Jan-23 0.3417 0.2239 0.3106
                    Feb-23 0.3085 0.2173 0.2856
                    Mar-23 0.2970 0.2224 0.2917
                    Apr-23 0.2609 0.1920 0.2428
                    May-23 0.2408 0.1782 0.2277
                    Jun-23 0.2669 0.2009 0.2522
                    Jul-23 0.2561 0.1860 0.2400
                    Average Price Per Month x 19 Months 0.3408 0.2481 0.2705
                    Standing Charge: €.80 cent (rural) and €.60 cent (urban) per day, ex. VAT @ 9%.
                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Don't worry Paul Heaton hasn't died or anything

Comment

I think I posted about them before.

I rang them and it sounded like it was a guy running the operation out of his shed.

Was later confirmed when they rang me back and had to cancel because their system wasn't able to handle the smart meter that I have.

Comment

This is best if you have a non smart rate, once you have a smart plan you can never go back. Apart from that flogas is best, see boards thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

This is best if you have a not smart rate, once you have a smart plan you can never go back. Apart from that flogas is best, see boards thread.
                                I'm definitely not smart.

Think the meter is too.
                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

The last thing BoI want is for these cases to end up in court - the reputational damage is >>>> any financial loss.
                                  In the last year or so they were fined €70 million for stealing from tracker mortgage customers. They're immune to reputational issues
                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

We rocked up to SF in a campervan in 97, stayed on the pavement in Haight & Ashbury outside the house of a friend of the Californian guy we were with.

When we walked into the house we stepped over a bare chested long bearded dude with melted white candle wax all over his beard, shouting 'COME ON MY FACE, COME ON MY FACE'

He got up and followed us in, was living there. We smoked great weed.

Went out to an amazing club then where we got wrecked until about 8am.

Fell out onto the street and made our way back mingling with tramps and men in suits. Saw a guy getting a blow job on the street.

We then headed up to the Exploritorium in our camper. Smoked some more 'erb (as our hosts so beautifully termed it) in the carpark and had the most mind blowing experience inside.

Watched another of their friends skateboard down Willie's winding street.

Had lunch in the Bubba Gump Shrimp Factory in the wharf, looking out at Alcatraz, fog over the Golden Gate.

Saw dozens of illegals scarper down a hillside on the Oakland side of the GG when cops roared up.

Awesome awesome city.

Go Raoul. Do de drugz
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                      Don't worry Paul Heaton hasn't died or anything

Parkinson be turning on his mortuary slab . What a cringey Interview.

Comment

Beers in the back of a campervan on the road from Vegas to LA though, holy fuck.

26 years ago and I can still taste them.
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I'd say mystery guest would love the Grant Thornton ad in Dublin airport

Comment

Micknail

I see their standing charge is 60c per day
                                            Check if they have a service charge also
                                            Go Power do a tracker rate (commercial) and they have a service charge of 2c detailed seperately on the bill

​​​​​​I assume their is no commitment period/exit fee
                                            Most providers charge €50 to exit so if you do opt for fixed rate with a traditional provider it's not a big penalty to move.

​​​Check their PSO levy as it's supposed to be a rebate of circa €7 per month currently

Seems decent though.

Comment

I had read that SF had really gone to the dogs over recent years.

But as far as I recall the hills aren't as bad as some of the ones I'm negotiating in Istanbul atm. But I was younger then.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                We rocked up to SF in a campervan in 97, stayed on the pavement in Haight & Ashbury outside the house of a friend of the Californian guy we were with.

When we walked into the house we stepped over a bare chested long bearded dude with melted white candle wax all over his beard, shouting 'COME ON MY FACE, COME ON MY FACE' We shrugged our shoulders and thought "when in Rome"

​​​​​​He got up and followed us in, was living there. We smoked great weed.

Went out to an amazing club then where we got wrecked until about 8am.

Fell out onto the street and made our way back mingling with tramps and men in suits. Saw a guy getting a blow job on the street.

We then headed up to the Exploritorium in our camper. Smoked some more 'erb (as our hosts so beautifully termed it) in the carpark and had the most mind blowing experience inside.

Watched another of their friends skateboard down Willie's winding street.

Had lunch in the Bubba Gump Shrimp Factory in the wharf, looking out at Alcatraz, fog over the Golden Gate.

Saw dozens of illegals scarper down a hillside on the Oakland side of the GG when cops roared up.

Awesome awesome city.

Go Raoul. Do de drugz

FYP

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                  I think I posted about them before.

I rang them and it sounded like it was a guy running the operation out of his shed.

Was later confirmed when they rang me back and had to cancel because their system wasn't able to handle the smart meter that I have.
                                                  I’d generally stay away from these types of energy companies. Quite a few have gone out of business, especially in the recent volatility. They simply don’t have the infrastructure to succeed.

Comment

See 5star, that's how you sell. ABC.
                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I see Trump is now not issuing his ‘irrefutable evidence’ that the election was rigged on Monday, as promised, but will now include in his court filings.

Things seemingly turning badly for him with the Georgia indictment apparently more serious than the others and the word that Guiliani might flip due to financial woes.

Still hard to see where this ends for him though. Amazing how both ends of the spectrum, President or jail are possible.

President more likely than jail though unfortunately?

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                        I see Trump is now not issuing his ‘irrefutable evidence’ that the election was rigged on Monday, as promised, but will now include in his court filings.

Things seemingly turning badly for him with the Georgia indictment apparently more serious than the others and the word that Guiliani might flip due to financial woes.

Still hard to see where this ends for him though. Amazing how both ends of the spectrum, President or jail are possible.

President more likely than jail though unfortunately?
                                                        The Giuliani story really is the ultimate cautionary tale. The guy was a hero (or at least was perceived as one), got embroiled with Trump and is now a broke laughing stock.

Comment

See 5star, that's how you sell. ABC.
                                                          I look forward to your stories of rocking up to a squat and doing drugs with hippies.

Comment

What is it?
                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

OMFG . 15 mins in.

Comment

OMFG . 15 mins in.

Comment

Anyone read Shantaram? I thought it was incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                    Yes, not very well written but a good story!

Comment

Thought it was a true story when I was reading it until it got a little too farfetched. Then found out it was almost entirely fiction. Was a bit too verbose, but enjoyable all the same.

Comment

Shantaram, book was good, was one of those books you saw in every hostel and bus in SE Asia. Another one was that drug trafficking chap, Mr.Nice, and the other was Keith Richards autobiography.

The Shantaram TV series was diabolically bad though, if might have been good if you could get passed yer mans horrendous accent.
                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

also BBV help needed.

I was listening to the radio this morning (wtf is wrong with me) but they were talking about Biopic's.

But heres the rub, how do you all pronounce that word? Biopic.

Is it two words, BIO PIC.

Or Bye Opic.

I fear I've been pronouncing this wrong my whole life.
                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I've the same issue with hoMEOWner
                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                              also BBV help needed.

I was listening to the radio this morning (wtf is wrong with me) but they were talking about Biopic's.

Or Bye Opic.

B for me

Comment

also BBV help needed.

Or Bye Opic.

Will this be in your Biopic? Looks like it should be.

Comment

also BBV help needed.

Or Bye Opic.

Buy-o-pic may be more correct, but very few people pronounce it that way. I'm firmly in the bye-opic camp anyhow.

Comment

Feel we're not at the races in Ireland in terms of breakfasts compared to the epicness that is American breakfasts.

Comment

FFS! What is wrong with you people... It is a picture of biography
                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Watched first episode of "Full Swing" on Netflix
                                                                                        looking good so far, makes me feel a little better about my crappy game recently apart from my driving which is awesome... If I may make so bold (and I don't see why I shouldn't!)

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                          Feel we're not at the races in Ireland in terms of breakfasts compared to the epicness that is American breakfasts.
                                                                                          You're deluded.

American breakfast is not even near Irish. Just for the soda bread alone.

From living there, I found the breakfast to be the weakest link

​​​
                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Ah Hitch.

Add this to the list of bad takes.

I'm as partial to a plate of fluffy delicious pancakes and a choice of syrup as anyone... but nothing beats an irish breakfast. We smash the yankeedoodles outta the water when it comes to the meat, the bread, the butter, its all there.

go and have a lie down will ya.

Comment

Nope, this is the hill I will die on.

Comment

Ordered a brekkie over there . A pile of pamcakes arrived with it. I said , i didnt order them. Condescendingly told. They come with the breakfast. I looked around several morbidy obese folk snaffling their pancakes . I shrugged and ate everything. I had to blow hard as i walked back to the car. They are a feeding ground (pardon the pun) to the ER, .

Comment

Breakfast is generally overrated. Brunch is where it’s at.

I’m never in the mood to eat first thing in the morning.

Comment

I don't read many books but a mate if mine insisted I read it a few years ago and loved it.
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Ye will all be raving about "Full Swing" by Sunday
                                                                                                      in first

Comment

Both American & Irish breakfasts are completely ridiculous, only suitable for when you are so hungover, the day is already completely wasted. Going for breakfast in San Fran didn't even cross my mind.

Comment

Pro tip- if anyone in your life expresses sympathy for Tubridy over next few years and reckons he was hard done by cut them out of your life completely. Great day , good work by Bakhurst get more blood on that axe
                                                                                                          shit Tubs podcast incoming
                                                                                                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Is it full figuredgrant Thornton lads in suits together in a scrum with Irish rugby players
                                                                                                            johnathan sexton in a muddy bloodstained rugby jersey Giving an inspirational speech in a grant Thornton board room
                                                                                                            grant Thornton lads in suits and Johnny sexton (plus cian healy) charging through a heavily mined Ukrainian field to attack a Russian tank battalion?
                                                                                                            sexton and grant Thornton lads respecting a referee harder then he’s ever been respected before?
                                                                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                              Pro tip- if anyone in your life expresses sympathy for Tubridy over next few years and reckons he was hard done by cut them out of your life completely. Great day , good work by Bakhurst get more blood on that axe
                                                                                                              shit Tubs podcast incoming
                                                                                                              I never particularly liked or disliked him up until Covid Watched a few episodes of LLS then and before (but not a regular viewer) but got the impression he felt he was some sort of spokesperson or a sort of cheer leader of the nation or something of that ilk. Then irritated me a bit.

Comment

Shantaram, book was good, was one of those books you saw in every hostel and bus in SE Asia. Another one was that drug trafficking chap, Mr.Nice, and the other was Keith Richards autobiography.

The Shantaram TV series was diabolically bad though, if might have been good if you could get passed yer mans horrendous accent.
                                                                                                                Ha! Mr Nice.
                                                                                                                Yeah that was in every hostel for years at one stage.
                                                                                                                A hostel was the first place I picked up kitchen confidential which was a pretty life changing read for me.
                                                                                                                So big up hostel book swaps
                                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Both American & Irish breakfasts are completely ridiculous, only suitable for when you are so hungover, the day is already completely wasted. Going for breakfast in San Fran didn't even cross my mind.
                                                                                                                  With lunch costing 30 bucks I don't blame you

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Ha! Mr Nice.
                                                                                                                    Yeah that was in every hostel for years at one stage.
                                                                                                                    A hostel was the first place I picked up kitchen confidential which was a pretty life changing read for me.
                                                                                                                    So big up hostel book swaps
                                                                                                                    They made a film about him. Great tune as the credits roll. Roll up another one just like the other one..... Often catch myself butchering it when I'm skinning up.

Comment

I often wonder if its fun being Hectorjelly.

Comment

as good as any tbh. Been grinding here all day, the option before me now is to go have some food with this chick that I know will end in a 4am finish and a wasted Saturday and potentially Sunday.
                                                                                                                        or to cook at home and be an adult.

What would you do hitch? You seem to always get these decisions correct.

Comment

as good as any tbh. Been grinding here all day, the option before me now is to go have some food with this chick that I know will end in a 4am finish and a wasted Saturday and potentially Sunday.
                                                                                                                          or to cook at home and be an adult.

What would you do hitch? You seem to always get these decisions correct.

The reverse Hitch
                                                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X