Clear All

Not gonna edit bustard, I like it.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Silver-Tiger How's the BBQing going?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
        Can I buy some sort of card that will cover them all?

Last one is a nitelink.
        A regular leap card should be fine https://www.leapcard.ie/Home/index.html I find google maps very good at suggesting which combination of bus and luas to take too.
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

A regular leap card should be fine https://www.leapcard.ie/Home/index.html I find google maps very good at suggesting which combination of bus and luas to take too.
          Bit confused reading the fares section of that.

They have a 24 hour ticket broken down into colour coded options, Red, Yellow, Green, Blue with different pricing.

Can't see what the differences are and which one I need.

Comment

Bit confused reading the fares section of that.

They have a 24 hour ticket broken down into colour coded options, Red, Yellow, Green, Blue with different pricing.

Can't see what the differences are and which one I need.
            I'd just get one with €20 on it. Should be plenty for any combination of journeys. Like it will probably work out as 2*2.30 +4.40 for a nitelink.

Comment

I'd just get one with €20 on it. Should be plenty for any combination of journeys. Like it will probably work out as 2*2.30 +4.40 for a nitelink.
              Ah so that's how it works, you just simply buy a card and throw some money onto it?

That sounds simple enough. Cheers.

Comment

Ah so that's how it works, you just simply buy a card and throw some money onto it?

That sounds simple enough. Cheers.
                Local centra or whatever will sell you one. Includes a fiver deposit.

In the shop just ask them to pop 20 euro credit on it.
                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Sound lads, thanks

Comment

Slightly amazed at any Dub who doesn't already have a Leap card.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      I average about 4 public transport journeys a year.

Comment

"At least you thought you wanted it..."

Listen to that song too hard and you will cry.
                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Be sure to thank the bus driver too, it's part of their contract now.

Comment

It's incredible the difference google maps has made to traveling. My main memory of going to Cuba in 2008 is getting lost repeatedly. Now I'm riding the metro system in Istanbul like a pro.

Comment

I'm always wary of reading too much into stuff like this because of confirmation bias...but anyway - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-official-says

"The economist who heads the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington, a prominent research group, said that 80% of the reason why the International Monetary Fund expects Britain’s inflation to remain elevated for longer than its Group of Seven peers is the impact of its departure from the European Union on immigration."

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                I like the Ozarks . If you find the wife annoying as a minus yer not getting it imo. Started rewatching breaking bad again. The Gus Episodes are up there with the best TV ever . I think BB suffered by its popularity in that folk became over familiar with it so dropped its ranking. However when you look at the great characters in it. Its up there top 3 for me.
                                Skylar BB and Wendy Ozarks are geebags but necessary geebags . If you hate them, they are doing their job. The son is probably my least fav character.
                                Ozarks very watchable. My ranking still. The Wire . 2. The Sopranos 3 BB.

GAP to the rest.

For comedy American Office > Uk Office ( random input)

CUNW .
                                Watched season 1 of ozark when it came out and never bothered past the first episode of S2 when it came out, started back again a few weeks ago, 1 a night, its heavy enough and powered through it, great characters, just finished part1 of the last season yesterday and see the final 7 dropped just on time....yes, wendy is a cunt. i can see Ruth making a name for herself in NY as a socialite.

After finishing superstore, a must see, the wife and i started watching Community, i had seen the first few seasons when it was airing, but cant remember them, very good, and i know TD has a thing for Alison Brie...
                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  Got the student one through college. 3 quid from Ashbourne to O Connell street. Sure where would ya get it

Comment

How was Bill Bailey for those who were there?

Comment

I average about 4 public transport journeys a year.
                                      Probably still worth it tbf. Hopped on the bus into town with the young-ish (13) lad this am and makes travel very smooth. LUAS over to Dawson St and now trying to persuade him to buy some clothes.

Comment

Silver-Tiger How's the BBQing going?
                                        Great. That was its debut a few weeks ago hence it being so clean. Haven't used my oven since i've started. Been pretty busy though so looking forward to getting stuck in more.

Last edited by Silver-Tiger; 30-04-22, 13:24.

Comment

Last edited by Silver-Tiger; 30-04-22, 13:28.

Comment

S-T looking to get himself on the roster of IPB BBQ hosts this summer. Between him, ole, Laz and Tar, we should be well sorted.

Comment

Ah yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                It's incredible the difference google maps has made to traveling. My main memory of going to Cuba in 2008 is getting lost repeatedly. Now I'm riding the metro system in Istanbul like a pro.
                                                Do things appear cheap to you swanning around with a Euro card or converted cash?

I've always kind of wanted to buy a loaf of bread with a huge bundle of Zimbabwe dollars or some such in a proper hyperinflation country.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Do things appear cheap to you swanning around with a Euro card or converted cash?

I've always kind of wanted to buy a loaf of bread with a huge bundle of Zimbabwe dollars or some such in a proper hyperinflation country.
                                                  Things are cheap, but not much cheaper than Mexico so it doesn't seem ridiculous to me. You do get a very large amount of notes in exchange for euros though. Most places/people are grateful if you pay in euros.

You only really get a sense of the difficulties for normal people when you talk to them - food prices have more than doubled in a year. Nice apartments have doubled in the last few months.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Ha, I had a brick (literally a brick-sized wad) of Zim 10 million dollar notes from the crazy times. Think it was worth less than $1 at the time I got it.

One of the kids brought it into school for a project and I haven't seen it since. Must see if it's still around and post a pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Can you tell us more about Istanbul? A city full of history like Rome, it would be wonderful to a history nerd like me I would hope. What are the highlights and any lowlights so far?

Comment

In bus news I bought the €25 Leap card and then 15 mins later had to cancel the night out.

Will have to come up with some reason to get on a bus.

Well at least I'm not getting four of them in that shitty weather.

Comment

In bus news I bought the €25 Leap card and then 15 mins later had to cancel the night out.

Will have to come up with some reason to get on a bus.

Well at least I'm not getting four of them in that shitty weather.
                                                          Bus into town, DART out to Howth or Dun Laoghaire with kids, some fish & chips and a walk. Kids love buses,Darts & Luas rides.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Bus into town, DART out to Howth or Dun Laoghaire with kids, some fish & chips and a walk. Kids love buses,Darts & Luas rides.
                                                            That's a real good idea. Can you do that with a Leap card, tap a few people onto the bus, or do we need one each?

Comment

That's a real good idea. Can you do that with a Leap card, tap a few people onto the bus, or do we need one each?
                                                              Think on the bus you can use the one card and just ask the driver to take for whoever is with you. You'd really need individual cards for the dart or luas.

I'd more suggest heading into Mulligans solo for afternoon pints some Saturday or Sunday, a bit of a ramble around town stopping off for another couple, and home in time for a late dinner.

Comment

Think on the bus you can use the one card and just ask the driver to take for whoever is with you. You'd really need individual cards for the dart or luas.

I'd more suggest heading into Mulligans solo for afternoon pints some Saturday or Sunday, a bit of a ramble around town stopping off for another couple, and home in time for a late dinner.
                                                                I did that one of the days over Xmas 2019 and it was sublime. Bus leaves from outside the door of Mulligans.

I started my Murakami last night, I might sweet talk the missus into giving me the green light to do that next Sun. Bring the book. Heaven.

Earned some kudos tonight by cancelling my plans. The little one's temp spiked so couldn't go off on the lash and leave her here looking after the three of them.

Comment

Hard to put into words the experience I had reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Thank you Dom very much for the recommendation. It was stunning. A very difficult read, in terms of emotion, heart breaking stuff. I couldn't put it down though. Hosseini's storytelling style is superb, it read almost like a spy thriller in terms of suspense, and surprise.

I read a transcript of a talk he did about the book and he spoke about wanting to change the stereotypical Western view of the burqa clad woman, and that really hit home for me.

A magnificent book.

Started 'The Wind Up Bird Chronicles' last night, the opening few pages were fun. Ty Raoul.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                                    How was Bill Bailey for those who were there?
                                                                    Reasonable start, shite for most of the middle and a decent end
                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                      It should definitely be measured by deliverables.
                                                                      The reality is for a lot of tasks being in a office environment is more productive. Others home is better, or neutral. The key is setting those metrics appropriately.

I can’t speak for others, but for my team. The ones who are most reluctant to come into the office are the ones who need to be in their more often. The more senior, autonomous guys are quite capable of regulating their time.

We were 2days in the office, with 3 days flexible. But we are increasing to 3 days in the office as the juniors were not using their flex time well.
                                                                      I hear ya. Yet needing 'juniors' to come back to the office to be supervised isn't a great reason. Their poor performance while away from the office could be down to poor team organisation and task setting. People shouldn't be rewarded for showing up to work and staying there for an agreed time. Being present is a shite measure of performance. These days employees will expect a logical reasons to come to and remain in the office. Using meetings or personal interaction as an opening gambit won't stand up. Covid has rightly opened Pandora's cubical.
                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Alright boys time for some classic WSB degeneracy, this broker let’s me over leverage myself to the fucking moon and back, so come Monday I will either be the first trillion-air in the world or have a margin call so expensive my blood line for thousands of years to come will be In debt!
                                                                        ch1q0d5zdow81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=d4bd14692405234c0366dc61d6ce70fb250ba608.jpg

Comment

What in laymans terms does that mean?

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1718528&d=1651359388&type=thumb Not getting dark . Not coming home.
                                                                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Yep. Was telling the kids we were talking the bus into town a few weeks ago, instead of the car, and they were delighted. Its more of a group activity - everyone sitting together, rather than two adults up the front shouting at them to stop hitting each other.

Comment

What in laymans terms does that mean?
                                                                                Paying $5 for the chances that Tesla stock price ends up above its current price (approx) on Monday. He'll lose his bollix if the stock price doesn't rise at least $5, and make a fortune if it rises more than that. The bet is on 1 billion shares, so he is betting that $5 for each of those shares - so his total potential risk is $5 billion ($5 x 1 billion: I think, there's a different risk value there that doesn't make sense to me). He hasn't actually placed the bet, and there is no chance he would be allowed to place that bet.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Reasonable start, shite for most of the middle and a decent end
                                                                                  Absolutely. I was going to generously just focus on the end being great, but you are spot on about the start and middle. He's not a great storyteller tbh, but when he gets into the music its excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Absolutely. I was going to generously just focus on the end being great, but you are spot on about the start and middle. He's not a great storyteller tbh, but when he gets into the music its excellent.
                                                                                    That French Polynesian Snail bit was painfully bad.
                                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Paying $5 for the chances that Tesla stock price ends up above its current price (approx) on Monday. He'll lose his bollix if the stock price doesn't rise at least $5, and make a fortune if it rises more than that. The bet is on 1 billion shares, so he is betting that $5 for each of those shares - so his total potential risk is $5 billion ($5 x 1 billion: I think, there's a different risk value there that doesn't make sense to me). He hasn't actually placed the bet, and there is no chance he would be allowed to place that bet.
                                                                                      Still don't really understand. Does this guy, theoretically stand to 'win' trillions if things go his way?

If so, how? Is it some loophole or something that this savant genius has exploited?

Comment

Still don't really understand. Does this guy, theoretically stand to 'win' trillions if things go his way?

If so, how? Is it some loophole or something that this savant genius has exploited?
                                                                                        I'd imagine they'd cry foul like a bookie and say "a mistake was made and nobody in their right mind would consider this a reasonable proposition so we're cancelling the bet and giving the money back" but maybe that's not the correct supposition?
                                                                                        Last edited by BennyHiFi; 01-05-22, 00:24.

Comment

Seems a bit weird for a dude to be able to win Africa in a bet.

Comment

It's a $5 Call. In theory he'd be paying paying $869 x 100 for each call, so $86,900 each. And each $1 move in TLSA would move his Pnl 999999999 x $100.

Obv he couldn't get that on. It's probably just a glitch that he can preview the order.
                                                                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 01-05-22, 00:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

It's a $5 Call. In theory he'd be paying paying $869 x 100 for each call, so $86,900 each. And each $1 move in TLSA would move his Pnl 999999999 x $100.

Obv he couldn't get that on.
                                                                                              You'll have to explain that to me. Why would he be paying the strike price x 100 ($869 x 100), and not the premium x 100 ($5 x 100)?

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

That French Polynesian Snail bit was painfully bad.
                                                                                                I did like the 'import more French' line from the audience member, but its a bit of shame to be outshone by an audience member. That French song was very good.

Comment

The strike is $5. The limit price in the pic is 869.75

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

I'd imagine they'd cry foul like a bookie and say "a mistake was made and nobody in their right mind would consider this a reasonable proposition so we're cancelling the bet and giving the money back" but maybe that's not the correct supposition?
                                                                                                    He hasn't placed the bet. There's still a confirm screen yet to go. And surely he wouldn't be allowed to place it, without having a few billion in premium in his account.

Comment

The strike is $5. The limit price in the pic is 869.75
                                                                                                      sure. And he is buying the calls. So i don't get why "In theory he'd be paying paying $869 x 100 for each call" - in theory he'd be paying the $5 premium per share for the call. He has no other downside exposure apart from that $5?

Comment

I presume we are speaking at cross-purposes here, given you work in this area in terms of risk management. I just don't get the bit where it could reasonably be said he is 'paying' $869. Thats just his reference strike point for working out his gross gains / losses.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Watched season 1 of ozark when it came out and never bothered past the first episode of S2 when it came out, started back again a few weeks ago, 1 a night, its heavy enough and powered through it, great characters, just finished part1 of the last season yesterday and see the final 7 dropped just on time....yes, wendy is a cunt. i can see Ruth making a name for herself in NY as a socialite.

After finishing superstore, a must see, the wife and i started watching Community, i had seen the first few seasons when it was airing, but cant remember them, very good, and i know TD has a thing for Alison Brie...
                                                                                                          I've been thinking about doing a rewatch for awhile now. Alison Brie
                                                                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

It's a $5 strike. It's an ITM call. So the price is basically the share price - the strike, + some time value.

He's paying 869 because that's literally his limit price for the order.

I'd imagine they're trading way above that price though, given the vol attached. If they were close to expiry they'd be closer to his price.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 01-05-22, 01:19.

Comment

It's a $5 strike. It's an ITM call. So the price is basically the share price - the strike, + some time value.

He's paying 869 because that's literally his limit price for the order.

I'd imagine they're trading way above that price though, given the vol attached. If they were close to expiry they'd be closer to his price.
                                                                                                              ah! It was so bizarre I hadn't noticed it was the other way around for strike and premium. I see now that it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Can you tell us more about Istanbul? A city full of history like Rome, it would be wonderful to a history nerd like me I would hope. What are the highlights and any lowlights so far?
                                                                                                                I absolutely love it, like you say there's so much history here it's incredible. I came here by accident so I did less research than I would have liked before hand. Almost everything has been a highlight, a walking tour of the Blue Mosque, Hippodrome & Hagia Sofia; a food and walking tour, some hands on Turkish marbing, playing some local games (similar to gin rummy) I've been doing a lot of the AirBnb experiences, which are a great way to meet locals and fellow travellers - and like staying in an airbnb they have previous reviews so the hosts all do a great job.

Getting the ferry from the west to the east side is amazing, a real highlight. It costs about 1 euro and takes 15 minutes. Or you can get a taxi for about 20euros which takes a lot longer! Its very easy to get around here, just get a local travel card and then you can just swipe onto everything. Traffic is crazy but the public transport is pretty good.

The west side is a lot more commercial (and where most of the tourist sites), but the eastern side is a lot more pleasant. I'm staying in Kadıköy which is a very pleasant neighbour hood on the eastern side, it's a little like Berlin, filled with coffee shops and vintage shops. This is a liberal enclave within a city that is a lot more liberal than the surrounding areas. I could easily live here. I was staying in a hotel on the western side before and it was a little grim (Like staying on Parnel St), but this is amazing.

The only low lights so far have been seeing someone be tasered, and hearing a gunshot. Coming here you have to be slightly aware of the risks, Erdogan is deeply unpopular and there are nightly protests which I would definitely avoid. Nobody has tried to sell me a carpet.

If you come here I can give you the number of two great guides.

Comment

Heh

ukraine-meme.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                    Corporate work need to be measured by deliverables and task execution, not time.
                                                                                                                    Came across this today:

The appeal of control, however, is not limited to farmers. Decades of scientific research have identified this trait as one of the most important you can pursue in the quest for a happier, more successful, and more meaningful life. Dan Pink’s 2009 bestselling book Drive, for example, reviews the dizzying array of different ways that control has been found to improve people’s lives.1 As Pink summarizes the literature, more control leads to better grades, better sports performance, better productivity, and more happiness.

In one such study, mentioned in Pink’s book, researchers at Cornell followed over three hundred small businesses, half of which focused on giving control to their employees and half of which did not. The control-centric businesses grew at four times the rate of their counterparts. In another study, which I found during my own research, giving autonomy to middle school teachers in a struggling school district not only increased the rate at which the teachers were promoted, but also, to the surprise of the researchers, reversed the downward performance trend of their students.2

If you want to observe the power of control up close in the workplace, look toward companies embracing a radical new philosophy called Results-Only Work Environment (or, ROWE, for short). In a ROWE company, all that matters is your results. When you show up to work and when you leave, when you take vacations, and how often you check e-mail are all irrelevant. They leave it to the employee to figure out whatever works best for getting the important things done. “No results, no job: It’s that simple,”

The more time you spend reading the research literature, the more it becomes clear: Giving people more control over what they do and how they do it increases their happiness, engagement, and sense of fulfillment.

Control is one of the most important targets you can choose for this investment. Acquiring control, however, can be complicated.
                                                                                                                    Only really relevant to experience/skilled employees though. Takes a long time to get there. Hence all the advice for junior people to get into the office and soak up everything they can.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 01-05-22, 14:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                      People shouldn't be rewarded for showing up to work and staying there for an agreed time. Being present is a shite measure of performance. These days employees will expect a logical reasons to come to and remain in the office. Using meetings or personal interaction as an opening gambit won't stand up. Covid has rightly opened Pandora's cubical.
                                                                                                                      Being present for X hours isn’t the measurement. actual performance is. For certain tasks performance is higher in the office. Team tasks, opening large files on a local server vrs remotely, etc.

I agree that time is not performance. But people are also paid hourly, or for X hours per week. The “performance based” angle is double edged. If people’s performance drops at home are they going to accept longer days or reduced pay to compensate. I doubt it.

I think flexible works will be defacto standard now. Instead of a privilege minority. But I be surprised if employees will be dictating terms. If companies are facilitating fully remote working. It’s not to be nice, it’s to reduce overheads.

Comment

Tyson Fury must be embarrassed after watching the ladies scrap last night.
                                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

The way things were before with butts in seats for certain amount of time was nonsense, and being scolded for browsing the internet or something like you are a child. Somebody can ask me a question that only I know the answer to at work, a (potential) customer issue can come in and I'll answer it in a second, it might take somebody else weeks or months of studying the problem (some of the questions they will literally never know the answer to, so there is a hit by bus problem for sure.), that would help get us the contract with them. What is the value of that experience and knowledge? If I can code up some new feature in 10 minutes that was a deal breaker for a tender worth millions (happened and we won the contract), does it matter that I was sat in a seat in there? And for how long? What if I did nothing else that day? At a certain point you are paid for experience and expertise, your brain, not your time. The paying people for time is funny with things like say logo design, should people be punished because they are great and do it really fast, do people want them to pretend to be slow and put more time into it to get more money?

It probably varies a lot through different industries but for what I do don't think people need to be in the office, I mentor people the same way in there as at home, it's actually easier at home as we can share our multiple screens and talk about them. It was a hindrance with people coming to my desk interrupting me all the time, context switching lowers output a lot and there is a natural filter with human distance. There is definite advantages to being there in person too of course, it just depends. I find work events are good for building relationships, we go and do silly games, have a meal and go for drinks and chat.

I remember when were all told to come in and work on the same day each week for collaboration, everyone just sits at their desk working on their own, barely a word said. Sure a grad can come over to me and ask something, but just message me. I think the main problem they have is they are scared to bother you and think their questions are stupid, probably they are, but it doesn't matter they have to learn, so fostering an atmosphere where they feel they can chat to you whenever they want is more important than anything.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X