X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
    The death toll in Vietnam was millions.
    Just over million.

But he’s referring to US deaths. Which were about 60k.
    US covid deaths is about to surpass it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
      Just over million.

But he’s referring to US deaths. Which were about 60k.
      US covid deaths is about to surpass it.
      Correct. It is the kind of number that is indelibly marked on the American psyche.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'm used to getting it in the neck, but they're turning on you now Nicky..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          Correct. It is the kind of number that is indelibly marked on the American psyche.
          Just over 58,000. People usually seem to use the round number.

And covid deaths are now 54,000. So the two numbers will intersect in the next 48 hours or so. I'd expect this to get quite a bit of commentary.

(obviously it objectively means nothing but symbolism matters too)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

That is quite a good idea.
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

FYI, Ireland has more golf courses than children's playgrounds.
              I'm calling bullshit on this stat anyway.

Can't be bothered Googling the morning away on it though.
              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                Bet you double checked that SF stood for San Fran and not Sinn Fein before typing that

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                  I'm calling bullshit on this stat anyway.

Can't be bothered Googling the morning away on it though.
                  Given the ridiculous insurance costs associated with playgrounds I wouldn't be surprised at the stat.

Comment

I ordered some booze a couple of weeks ago.

Last Thurs 2 bottles of gin turned up along with someone else's shipping details etc.
                    I e-mailed them immediately to let them know of the mistake, and the apologised and sent me details for a courier to come collect them on Monday. Reasonable.
                    On Sat morning, my wine/beer arrived.
                    On Mon morning, my wine/beer arrived agan (assumed - haven't opened the boxes), and courier was gone immediately (no face-to-face stuff, left boxes in hallway of flats).

I e-mailed them straight away explaining what had happened, and that I now had ~£150 worth of stuff I hadn't ordered nor paid for, but sure worst comes to worst I'd be happy to hang onto it!

They e-mailed yesterday offering it to me at a 20% discount (bear in mind I didn't order any gin!), so more than my original order....

Am I cool to respond with "nah, please come pick them up, and my storage and facilitation costs are £y"?

If they'd said "throw us a £50 for the lot and we're sound" I'd have been impressed. 20% seems bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                      Given the ridiculous insurance costs associated with playgrounds I wouldn't be surprised at the stat.
                      Nan. Pick anywhere in the country on Google maps and search for "children playgrounds" then search for "golf courses".

Not even close.

Comment

Only really concerning those within large urban areas where there may be a lack of green space i'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                          Only really concerning those within large urban areas where there may be a lack of green space i'd imagine.
                          Most large urban areas usually have more public parks than golf courses. They would have more GAA, Soccer and maybe rugby pitches too. Stick that on the twitter machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                            Most large urban areas usually have more public parks than golf courses. They would have more GAA, Soccer and maybe rugby pitches too. Stick that on the twitter machine.
                            Not argueing just pointing ot that Nickys area is not what they would be targeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                              Not argueing just pointing ot that Nickys area is not what they would be targeting.
                              I was commenting more on the 'golfers are cunce' tone of some of the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Last Thurs 2 bottles of gin turned up along with someone else's shipping details etc.
                                I e-mailed them immediately to let them know of the mistake, and the apologised and sent me details for a courier to come collect them on Monday. Reasonable.
                                On Mon morning, my wine/beer arrived agan (assumed - haven't opened the boxes), and courier was gone immediately (no face-to-face stuff, left boxes in hallway of flats).

I e-mailed them straight away explaining what had happened, and that I now had ~£150 worth of stuff I hadn't ordered nor paid for, but sure worst comes to worst I'd be happy to hang onto it!

They e-mailed yesterday offering it to me at a 20% discount (bear in mind I didn't order any gin!), so more than my original order....

Am I cool to respond with "nah, please come pick them up, and my storage and facilitation costs are £y"?

If they'd said "throw us a £50 for the lot and we're sound" I'd have been impressed. 20% seems bizarre.
                                I imagine many retailers are having lots of problems ramping up their online and delivery service. My wife ordered some stuff from Boots recently (had used them a good bit in the past without any problems), and in addition to her order, seems to have received €50 or so worth of someone else's order in the same package!

Tried to let Boots know but zero response from them so far. I know if it were Amazon, they'd just tell her to keep it.

I was in a shop yesterday to buy some stuff to tide us over till a big shop next week, and realized after walking out that the young lad behind the till didn't scan the most pricey item I bought (a whole €3.50!); don't really think it's worth mentioning the next time I'm in there TBH. So free stuff all around these days.

Comment

Bizarre offer from them. I wouldn't be sending them money.

I won a bottle of whiskey at christmas from Master of Malt.
                                  They accidentally sent me a a different bottle, a scotch. Sent them a message, they said sorry about that. Your whiskey is on it's way to you, hold on to the scotch too.

Comment

The phoenix park is the largest urban park in europe.
                                    Dublin isn't stuck for open space or parks.

Comment

I hopped the fence onto St Annes golf course yesterday - ahead of the curve here. Was very nice strolling down the fairway yokes, pleasant feel of springy turf.

Comment

Emmet, email them and thank them, tell them you've taken 20% of it and to come collect the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                          The phoenix park is the largest urban park in europe.
                                          Dublin isn't stuck for open space or parks.
                                          2km rule innit.

Id imagine Elm Green would be chuffed at gangs of teenagers with bags o' cans slurping on the 18th green

Comment

I was commenting more on the 'golfers are cunce' tone of some of the replies.
                                            Seems to be a very previlant thing of modern times on Socail Media.

You play golf, I don't - you are a cunt. You voted FG/FF, I didn't - you are a cunt. You have a big house and a garden and a nice car, I don't - you are a cunt, gimme some etc etc.

I know it has always been there but it just get highlighted so much more these days I guess.

Comment

Emmet, email them and thank them, tell them you've taken 20% of it and to come collect the rest.
                                              lol. I like it.

"I've had 20% of every bottle, repackaged it all up, and it's waiting for you outside"

Comment

Surely, your error here was to say you were happy to hold onto it?

They then thought, what's the cost of collecting it, say 15 quid or 10% and said well then off him 20% off so a somewhat win/win for all concerned.

It's not the worse offer in the world when you said you were happy to keep it?

Comment

Is there an app that you can use for support on an Android phone? Even a screen sharer? Something like remote desktop but for phones?

Edit: seems there's TeamViewer for phones
                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 26-04-20, 14:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                    Is there an app that you can use for support on an Android phone? Even a screen sharer? Something like remote desktop but for phones?

Edit: seems there's TeamViewer for phones
                                                    I was gonna ask you how the Pixel is going, I need a new phone and was curious as to how you found the pixel?
                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I've read of a few courses in the UK opening to the public for walking. Will obv get load of stick if they do lift restrictions here form a vocal minority, but fuck them. The game much more widely played across society here than say America and I'd imagine most people here wouldn't have an issue.

Article I read a while back on amount of land courses cover in the US.

Bloomberg has offered an in-depth look at how land used is throughout the United States and golf leaves a small but significant mark. The largest amount of specific-use land is devoted to raising l…

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                        I've read of a few courses in the UK opening to the public for walking. Will obv get load of stick if they do lift restrictions here form a vocal minority, but fuck them. The game much more widely played across society here than say America and I'd imagine most people here wouldn't have an issue.

Article I read a while back on amount of land courses cover in the US.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2018/0...s-report-says/
                                                        Same level of vitriol being spouted at golfers here in the Hat.

Courses are open in both adjacent provinces so I suspect itll have to happen here or we will see weekend movement of golfers.
                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I've a few pals who would be on the other side of the spectrum.

Comment

I think when they do open the golf courses they should allow runners use the courses. Much easier on the joints to run on turf and we could try hit them with golf balls.

Comment

I think when they do open the golf courses they should allow runners use the courses. Much easier on the joints to run on turf and we could try hit them with golf balls.
                                                                You'd probably have a better chance of hitting them if you aimed in the opposite direction Nicky

Comment

Cyclists too
                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I hopped the fence onto St Annes golf course yesterday - ahead of the curve here. Was very nice strolling down the fairway yokes, pleasant feel of springy turf.
                                                                    Same mentality as the water charge protesters. Happy to use, but not prepared to pay

Comment

Ha! I regularly run past the back of one of the greens in Citywest, am always conscious of some prick using a 6 iron when he should've used a wedge.

Comment

Anyone played this wee game?

Can a neural network learn to recognize doodles? See how well it does with your drawings and help teach it, just by playing.

Comment

This Zoom drinking thing is getting out of hand imo

I'm fucking dying today.
                                                                          Highlight last night was a mate falling off his chair mid song.
                                                                          Utter silence on his end, no phone answered, panic rising...
                                                                          Then from under the table.... '... Did the band play the flowers of the fooorrrresssstttt'
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                            I'm fucking dying today.
                                                                            Highlight last night was a mate falling off his chair mid song.
                                                                            Utter silence on his end, no phone answered, panic rising...
                                                                            Then from under the table.... '... Did the band play the flowers of the fooorrrresssstttt'
                                                                            It's been a long day. I seem to cope with hangovers now by distracting myself so cut grass, did clothes washes, made a cake, made dinner, descaled coffee machine (clearly running out of ideas) and downloaded a bunch of movies for the kids. Even did some real work.

Now I've run out of shit to do and am left with that empty feeling.

Comment

The problem is there is no natural end point, people just drink until everything in the house is gone.
                                                                              Considering I have a modestly large whiskey collection, that can cause issues.
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

It's been a long day. I seem to cope with hangovers now by distracting myself so cut grass, did clothes washes, made a cake, made dinner, descaled coffee machine (clearly running out of ideas) and downloaded a bunch of movies for the kids. Even did some real work.

Now I've run out of shit to do and am left with that empty feeling.
                                                                                Speaking of running out of ideas, I'm cultivating basil in the garage using a seasonal affective disorder lamp.

Really sick of drinking. Never drink a lot such that I'd have a hangover, but rarely take a night off.

Comment

I'm finding Saturday and Sundays feel normal. I usually spend all weekend at home, and Sundays hungover. Midweek is a mind fuck.

Comment

Watching the Irishman, fucking weird the whole playing younger selves, like a dodgy French cartoon

Looks a good story but the scene where he battered the shop keeper is cringy!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                      Speaking of running out of ideas, I'm cultivating basil in the garage using a seasonal affective disorder lamp.

Really sick of drinking. Never drink a lot such that I'd have a hangover, but rarely take a night off.
                                                                                      I haven't touched the stuff since all this began... Tomorrow will be 1 month since I have driven a car... this is the longest stretch I have gone since driving since I was 12 years old!!

Mad this will be the first month not to spend any cash on fuel either which is really weird, both cars still have 3/4 of a tank

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                        The problem is there is no natural end point, people just drink until everything in the house is gone.
                                                                                        Considering I have a modestly large whiskey collection, that can cause issues.
                                                                                        Sounds like you need to have another kid.

Comment

I know it won't happen, and I know that he said he's picking a woman, but is there any rule stopping Biden picking Barack Obama as his running mate. I know a president can't run for a third term, but could he be vice president, in theory?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                              I know it won't happen, and I know that he said he's picking a woman, but is there any rule stopping Biden picking Barack Obama as his running mate. I know a president can't run for a third term, but could he be vice president, in theory?
                                                                                              As far as I know he can.
                                                                                              Think the constitution states (as you said) that no-one can be elected as Potus a 3rd time, but technically that wouldn't preclude someone getting the job in a non-elected manner.
                                                                                              Probably a huge constitutional mess going to the Supreme Court, so doubt anyone will ever make such a VP pick.

Comment

Was wondering how long it would take clap for carers to lurch into poppy fascism style antics

Coronavirus: Woman 'named and shamed' by neighbours on Facebook for not joining clap for carers

The post on the local community page purportedly said the mother "didn't deserve to use the NHS if I or my family get ill".

Comment

Interesting thread from David Higgins that tries to argue that the first set of 'lockdown' measures were the ones that did the heavy lifting in controlling the virus. Basically the peak in deaths appears to have come before the more stringent measures should have started having a major impact.

Someone replies with data from the UK that seems to show something similar. This is probably one of those lines of reasoning that makes Zuut want to kick penguins, but I'm starting to go mad so willing to clutch at straws.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                    and as Obama isn't eligible to be president again
                                                                                                    Whether that's true or not is the important bit.
                                                                                                    He's not eligible to stand for election as president again.
                                                                                                    But does that mean he's not eligible to be president again?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                      As far as I know he can.
                                                                                                      Think the constitution states (as you said) that no-one can be elected as Potus a 3rd time, but technically that wouldn't preclude someone getting the job in a non-elected manner.
                                                                                                      Probably a huge constitutional mess going to the Supreme Court, so doubt anyone will ever make such a VP pick.

Also, I don't think anyone who is still referred to as "Mr. President", would relinquish that to be called "Mr. Vice President".

Comment

Co-incidentally I'm actually watching Veep for the first time as the new free station Sky Comedy show a couple of episodes each week.
                                                                                                        Though I'm sure everyone here who'd have any interest has probably seen it already.

It's absolutely brilliant, savagely good with some of the most despicable and cynical characters who've ever been put to screen.

They were in London in the episode I just finished, one of the best 25 minutes of comedy I've seen. New Hampshire primary debate episode up next, so it's an opportune time to be watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                          Interesting thread from David Higgins that tries to argue that the first set of 'lockdown' measures were the ones that did the heavy lifting in controlling the virus. Basically the peak in deaths appears to have come before the more stringent measures should have started having a major impact.

Someone replies with data from the UK that seems to show something similar. This is probably one of those lines of reasoning that makes Zuut want to kick penguins, but I'm starting to go mad so willing to clutch at straws.

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/st...923641867?s=20
                                                                                                          I'm very much of the same opinion myself, but it is only an opinion!

Comment

There has been a number of cabinet ministers not born in the US which meant that if it got to them in the line of succession it would have skipped over them to the next in line (Albright Secretary of State one of the more recent ones)

Roosevelt was in office for 3 terms - edit that looking it up further he actually won 4 presidential elections too.
                                                                                                            Last edited by White Knight; 26-04-20, 22:41.

Comment

Getting more confused by the day

Six months in, doctors and researchers are continuing to discover dangerous new ways COVID-19 affects the body.

In the space of a few months, we’ve gone from thinking there was no “asymptomatic transmission” to believing it accounts for perhaps half or more of all cases, from thinking the young were invulnerable to thinking they were just somewhat less vulnerable, from believing masks were unnecessary to requiring their use at all times outside the house, from panicking about ventilator shortages to deploying pregnancy massage pillows instead. Six months since patient zero, we still have no drugs proven to even help treat the disease. Almost certainly, we are past the “Rare Cancer Seen in 41 Homosexuals” stage of this pandemic. But how far past?

Comment

So has the glorious leader died or not? Hopefully so, what an odious creature. His sister is apparently a bit of a gee bag (no offence HJ)

Comment

She's a pretty hot gee bag. (sorry HJ).

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/st...923641867?s=20
                                                                                                                    He's talking about a 2 day offset in the peak and as I remember that week that offset could well be accounted for the face that the announcement was made a couple of days after the general public were already behaving as if it had been announced. Leo's statement was really just formalising what had already been happening.

Comment

He's talking about a 2 day offset in the peak and as I remember that week that offset could well be accounted for the face that the announcement was made a couple of days after the general public were already behaving as if it had been announced. Leo's statement was really just formalising what had already been happening.
                                                                                                                      That's spot on actually come to think of it.

All throughout that week (Leo announced on Fri evening) the industry I'm in was closing down. It was practically lock down by Wednesday.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X