Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitting peak lockdown and poor PSV & HH missus' getting none.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
      The way things could go from here I reckon people will be looking back in a year or 2 thinking the people who died of Coronavirus were the lucky ones
      If the shutdowns have to go on past May we are all fucked
      Meh, it’s a false dichotomy. Rescind lockdown or we’ll create economic Armageddon!! The right to life needs to be balanced against the right to make money! Yadda yadda.

There is no consideration of how fear of becoming ill and not being able to receive adequate treatment will effect consumer behaviour absent of government restrictions. You could open up the economy tomorrow but some percentage of people will not return to “normal” behaviours. Because of fear. Because of a lack of confidence. This is not a simple clash of freedom vs paternalistic state restriction.

Similarly, the capacity of governments to sustain this level of spend is potentially limitless, or at least it is not close to being exhausted. We can print many more months of this intervention, if we are okay with stomaching the side effects. But related to the previous point, reopening economies does not let states off the hook to the full extent anyway, as a severe recessionary event is now inevitable. There needs to be a real conversation on how global economic blocs who all have to engage in similar measures can work together to help each other bear proportionate impacts. That conversation isn’t happening at all, which is ridiculous. Even co ordinating the EU / ECB seems a severe political challenge.

The “Great Depression” gets thrown around, and the spectre of people becoming destitute in historic numbers is touted. In the developed world (Barring the USA and some notable exceptions), robust social provision is woven into the fabric of our societies. There will be a significant demand on social services, but destitution can be avoided. Again, if we start having real conversations around some of the manipulations that need to be made.

We just aren’t talking about the right things imo. How do we rescind from lockdown? What are the criteria? What are the thresholds we cross to return to lockdown? What does the EU / ECB plan look like? What about a covid 19 100 year bond to cover the EU bill with printed money, for example? What rent seeking economic activities / rights may we need to suspend until a vaccine has been implemented?

All hard questions no doubt. But destitution and social unrest is far from an inevitability if we go another few months like this. Just as a return to normality is not happening if we rescinded all movement restrictions tomorrow.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
        @ Hitch or other Dropbox Users...

I use it sparingly, upload files every now and then etc. I am keen to clear up the disk space on my mac, but also securely store some files that I'd lose my mind over were my Mac to be stolen this afternoon. What's the best use case? How does it operate? Do I pay premium? Any insight welcome.
        Google drive will give you 15GB for free. Which is fine if you just need to save a copy of a file or folder.

Dropbox is free up to 2GB. If that much storage is sufficient, I'm not sure paying extra is of any real benefit. The paid version is basically just extra storage, with a few minor features.

As you're on Mac. iCloud is probably worth looking at. You probably have 5GB free already, with the option to add more space for pennies. Should be able to install it as to an live drive. Haven't used it on a mac personally, but imagine it's pretty seamless. Works well on the phone.

Comment

ugh...salary drop incoming
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
            what sector u in DP?

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
              what sector u in DP?
              auto insurance 80% uk market/ 20% Irish
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Hearing about all these salary drops and heres a top 12 grossing solicitor(Just under €400,000) shafting a client out of €400 cash on his atm card.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                  Hearing about all these salary drops and heres a top 12 grossing solicitor(Just under €400,000) shafting a client out of €400 cash on his atm card.
                  speaking of solicitors, I read this last night and couldn't help think what your resident brief makes of it

Three children who allegedly became ill and had to move out of their family home as a result of disturbance from a nearby wind farm have secured a total €225,000 as settlement of their High Court damages claims.

my initial thought was "less hassle to settle" but it seems like it'd open the doors for multiple claims now

Comment

auto insurance 80% uk market/ 20% Irish
                    And so it begins... Why would an Auto Insurance company be loosing money at this point, no insurance company have given me back any of my premium's or in fact that matter reduced any quote in fact i think it has got higher, this is just a point now where they cut there costs claiming what ever is going on is affecting them!!

Comment

here is a link to a fairly accurate information from your man Mo Robinson the truck driver involved with that trailer in England last year!!

Comment

And so it begins... Why would an Auto Insurance company be loosing money at this point, no insurance company have given me back any of my premium's or in fact that matter reduced any quote in fact i think it has got higher, this is just a point now where they cut there costs claiming what ever is going on is affecting them!!
                        Presumably a certain percentage of their normal income is new business, and they aren't getting that. Few doing their test and getting first insurance, very few upgrading their car/van and thus a higher premium. Also no income coming from the 'tourist/hire car insurance' side of the business either.

edit : people not renewing when their policy becomes due is a biggie as well - if you no longer need it for a work commute (no job or wfh) and live in an urban area then you might as well save a few months premium and park it up.
                        Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 15-04-20, 13:05.

Comment

Me and the wife have 2 cars. One is used to drop the kid to childminder twice a week. Literally nothing else. I cycle to work.
                          We've both been WFH > a month. Both cars just sitting out the front I was only waiting for an excuse to drop the insurance on that car. It has come

Comment

Just had a promising job pulled. Not ideal.

Comment

not really, no one is buying cars meaning no new policies and the drop in revenue doesn't completely offset the loss ratio of claims.
                              We aren't one of the big boys and our target market would be returning/new drivers so it's a real drop, not an imagined one.

Comment

All very valid of course but insurance companies are the absolute worst.

Comment

speaking of solicitors, I read this last night and couldn't help think what your resident brief makes of it

Three children who allegedly became ill and had to move out of their family home as a result of disturbance from a nearby wind farm have secured a total €225,000 as settlement of their High Court damages claims.

my initial thought was "less hassle to settle" but it seems like it'd open the doors for multiple claims now
                                  Didnt see that news item, I very recently abandoned the Indo from my scannage because its mostly subscription now. I dont really know but the horsey set especially APOB's missus in particular is dead against wind farms and very vocal about it. Not good for animals either apparently.

From what ive read over the years wind farms are very subjective and I can see both sided but wouldnt like to judge unless I lived by one for a spell. Theres a set who says there are no side effects from living around wind farms and its all in the mind but these are ostly developers, locil coincils and nimbys. And those that say there definitely are illnesses as a consequence to them mostly people who actually have to leave by them.
                                  There is also a set who say lol Cork people!. Ah but really I dont know You would have to live by one to be able to decree judgement(unless your a judge!).

But looks like it could be a precedent for a windfall(no pun intended) for many wind farm regs depending what sort of legal team you can assemble.
                                  My interest lies mainly in violent crime and fraud.

Which reminds me, Sam McGrath has complied and just released an interesting catalogue of some of the historical crime news of the Day in Dublin. Mainly ordinary crime stories of the day but I found it fascinating to read.
                                  Last edited by rounders123; 15-04-20, 13:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                    meh, I can hand on heart say it's a lot less predatory than I would have first assumed.
                                    Perhaps that's simply the one I have worked with.

Comment

here is a link to a fairly accurate information from your man Mo Robinson the truck driver involved with that
                                      trailer in England last year!!
                                      Pretty clear cut stuff. Wonder how many times he's done it.

A bit baffled by the "local man" outrage. I get that they look like twats now, and probably feel a bit stupid. But surely that's a chance you take when you publicly support somebody, without having any idea if they are innocent.

"What has really annoyed the community is that after Mo was arrested nearly everyone here came out in support of him. He has deceived us all."

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                        Presumably a certain percentage of their normal income is new business, and they aren't getting that. Few doing their test and getting first insurance, very few upgrading their car/van and thus a higher premium. Also no income coming from the 'tourist/hire car insurance' side of the business either.

edit : people not renewing when their policy becomes due is a biggie as well - if you no longer need it for a work commute (no job or wfh) and live in an urban area then you might as well save a few months premium and park it up.
                                        Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                        Me and the wife have 2 cars. One is used to drop the kid to childminder twice a week. Literally nothing else. I cycle to work.
                                        We've both been WFH > a month. Both cars just sitting out the front I was only waiting for an excuse to drop the insurance on that car. It has come
                                        be careful dropping your policies comes with clauses and you end up losing no claims bonuses etc, plus it only stands if you are at the end of a insurance cycle, Still cant see how six weeks have really effected them to the point where actually need to cut staff wages,

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                        They are the absolute worst business on the planet, a total scam job if ever i have seen it, i would put drug cartels and terrorist organisations ahead of Insurance companies

Comment

You're kinda goosed if it's stolen though. Or if you need to use it in an emergency. Unless you're selling it obv.
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Which reminds me, Sam McGrath has complied and just released an interesting catalogue of some of the historical crime news of the Day in Dublin. Mainly ordinary crime stories of the day but I found it fascinating to read.
                                            Good read. Not sure of your age but I'd say you must have been a frequenter of Rumours, McGraths and Sachs back in the day. Another enthrawling place I ended once called Bensons was one of my more intersting nights out.

Comment

We are getting salary cuts but reducing the working week to coincide, which is pretty fair/decent
                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

A bit baffled by the "local man" outrage. I get that they look like twats now, and probably feel a bit stupid. But surely that's a chance you take when you publicly support somebody, without having any idea if they are innocent.
                                                Yeah a mountain of drivers etc were all on the whole "Justice for Mo" like hours after he was picked up... which i taught was mad... you knew he was guilty by where and how he pulled up any driver could have told you it was wrong

No 26 year old driver would be that financially either, money was to much for him to pass up!

Comment

Lalo Salamanca is one of the best TV show characters of all time.
                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                    We are getting salary cuts but reducing the working week to coincide, which is pretty fair/decent
                                                    I know quite a few who have days & salaries cut proportionally.

I'm not sure my place will do it but who knows

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                      You're kinda goosed if it's stolen though. Or if you need to use it in an emergency. Unless you're selling it obv.
                                                      Good point. But it's a 07 A3 that is worth nothing and would probably be done a favour if it got robbed.

Bought a 182 car at the start of February for a packet which i now greatly regret. Be some price reduction on those Bad Boys when things re-open.

Comment

be careful dropping your policies comes with clauses and you end up losing no claims bonuses etc, plus it only stands if you are at the end of a insurance cycle, Still cant see how six weeks have really effected them to the point where actually need to cut staff wages,
                                                        there's a certain level of forecasting involved here as well.
                                                        we are set to be all WFH until at least 31st May. Assuming restrictions aren't lifted when that date rolls around, I'd rather a mild(ish) shock now then a much sharper one then.
                                                        the drop year on year is a little eyewatering

Comment

realistically, that's kinda a given

Comment

Good point. But it's a 07 A3 that is worth nothing and would probably be done a favour if it got robbed.

Bought a 182 car at the start of February for a packet which i now greatly regret. Be some price reduction on those Bad Boys when things re-open.
                                                            There are going to be some great opportunities when things do reopen, especially for those with cash on hand. Just haven't figured out what they are yet.

Stock market does not seem to be one given the determination to keep this high.
                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I've been considering applying the "half-rule" on my car.

Unless I'm missing something, this seems like an obvious choice as I'm getting close:

Originally posted by * View Post
                                                              The half rule is part of the Consumer Credit Act 1995 and gives you the right to end a hire purchase agreement at any time. The half rule limits your liability to half the hire purchase price of the car. Your documentation (the agreement) from the finance company must show the figure for half the hire purchase price of the car.

If you have paid less than half of the hire purchase price of the car, you can give the car back, and you will only owe the difference between what you have paid, and half of the price of the car. You do not have to pay half the hire purchase price to the finance company before you end the agreement under the half rule. However, you will have to pay the difference between the payments you have made to date and half the hire purchase price.

If you have paid more than half of the hire purchase price of the car and have not missed any payments, you can end the agreement and hand back the car. You will be responsible for the cost of any repairs that are necessary, and if you have paid more than half of the hire purchase price, you will not be entitled to any refund.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Seannquinnism I believe it's called

Comment

I think you will find wage cuts + increased workload due to others being laid off is going to be the norm

Comment

Ya, mate in a pretty well paid IT job with big company just got the wage cut, no drop in hours + bound to be an increased workload coming down pipe

Once you get used to a shortened week, the 5 day slog might not be so easy to go back to
                                                                    Last edited by Guest; 15-04-20, 14:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                      Good read. Not sure of your age but I'd say you must have been a frequenter of Rumours, McGraths and Sachs back in the day. Another enthrawling place I ended once called Bensons was one of my more intersting nights out.
                                                                      Probably about the same age as Raoul. I do like their stuff on all the night spots of the time. Only went to Bensons of the ones you mentioned and never anywhere outside Dublin central, Bensons was hard place on Parnell st afair but it was mostly hearsay as inside it wasnt tough at all. My mate once went back to a nearby flats at Dominic St with a bird and turns out her boyfriend was dong a stint in jail, thats as wild as it got.

Amazingly never went to Rumours, heard it was hard to get into Rumours and too expensive and full of saps so never tried. Most of the time out drinking id be home on the last bus or the nitelink, 4 or 5 pints and that was me but wed let those pints stretch!. Sometimes I was nearly as sober going home as I was going in but shur times were tough!. When we did go to niteclubs they would be the ones you could gain access to for free if you were in the adjoining bar early enough to gain free admittance!. Meet em in the pub bring em to the club was the motto. Places like Mungo Jerrys, Knighsbridge, early days of Copper face jacks, Bad Bobs, The Castle(Now Bull & Castle), that was a quare tough place in the past but it was beginning to change its reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                        There are going to be some great opportunities when things do reopen, especially for those with cash on hand. Just haven't figured out what they are yet.

Stock market does not seem to be one given the determination to keep this high.
                                                                        Court Cave colt born this morning could be just what you are looking for

Mammy's looking extremely proud of herself, she wouldn't let anyone near her or the foal for hours , chased them away bucking and leaping at them.

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 15-04-20, 14:55.
                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                          Lalo Salamanca is one of the best TV show characters of all time.
                                                                          Correct. Tell me again
                                                                          Last edited by Wesley Harms; 15-04-20, 15:13.

Comment

Got my socialist stimilus payment from the USA government today.

Comment

...
                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Anyone looking to do some DIY, seems hardware stores are opening up to do delivery only. I emailed the local pace here in Ashbourne on Monday and told them I wanted a panel fence to keep a big dog in but also one that looks nice along with some paint, got a phone call yesterday and she went through everything I needed and put the order together and quoted me over the phone, all delivered today. Didn't have to leave the house or spend ages picking an order online, very happy and it will keep me busy for a few days.

Comment

...
                                                                                  Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 15-04-20, 15:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                    Was the cheque signed by Donald Trump? (this story)
                                                                                    direct deposit, the ones who are waiting on actual cheques will have to wait a while as big delays at printing facility due to changing whole lay out

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                        Breaking news

Donald Trump has rang Roger Daltrey directly to personally tell him that he is cutting funding
                                                                                        Dont blame him...

People keep trying to put him down

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                          direct deposit, the ones who are waiting on actual cheques will have to wait a while as big delays at printing facility due to changing whole lay out
                                                                                          Physical cheques, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                            Physical cheques, lol.
                                                                                            The word 'facility' stood out most to me. I suspect hes got himself a yankee accent.

Comment

The word 'facility' stood out most to me. I suspect hes got himself a yankee accent.
                                                                                              Yankee's are from up north. We are not confederates either. Weird pocket of Texas which is American first and Texan second due to the amount of out of state residents.

However to your point I do use y'all these days though

Comment

Ah ya its grand for me anyhow with biggest expenses of pub and holidays gone a paycut isn't much of an issue.
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I've been wondering about this. My insurance is up next week and I'm not using the car. Would it be worth not renewing and parking up for a few months or would I just end up paying for it whenever I got a new policy? Would I lose all my no claims?

Comment

Originally posted by LOL_CAMPBELL View Post
                                                                                                    I've been wondering about this. My insurance is up next week and I'm not using the car. Would it be worth not renewing and parking up for a few months or would I just end up paying for it whenever I got a new policy? Would I lose all my no claims?
                                                                                                    I think your "No Claims" bouns can last for a month or two depending if you were moving company or not... but more than likely the evil Insurance company will use it to charge you more... god they are the nut worst!

Comment

All these backlogged German cases are making it very hard to see if things are improving. I suppose the 600 odd cases today on top of the 12,000 puts us at 5% case growth rate which is heading in the right direction. Probably that most of those tests were done many days ago too. Seems hospital admission, ICU admission, and deaths are the more reliable indicators now. My poor graphs are useless!

Comment

She's relentless.

yes, but Waters has been a tool for far longer

If it comes to a tool-off, I'd be backing him.

Comment

Originally posted by LOL_CAMPBELL View Post
                                                                                                          How long does a No Claims Discount last before it expires?

A No Claims Discount usually lasts for two years from the date that your last policy in your own name ends. You do not earn a No Claims Discount unless you are the policyholder and main user of the car insured.
                                                                                                          from https://www.zurich.ie/car-insurance/...discount-faqs/
                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

As Collie shared above.

I left for NZ in August 2016 and wasn't insured again until April 2018.

Full no claims bonus reclaimed.

Comment

Comment

She's relentless.

Bebop and Rocksteady

Comment

25000 more people dead in the UK in the year to 14 April then would have been actuarially expected based on recent mortality trends. That’s some figure even allowing for statistical variations...
                                                                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                                    25000 more people dead in the UK in the year to 14 April then would have been actuarially expected based on recent mortality trends. That’s some figure even allowing for statistical variations...
                                                                                                                    Have you source for that?

I was actually surprised of their daily deaths reported today, thought it would be higher due to the known delay of weekend reporting and spike when it clears.

Comment

She's relentless.

Fair enough they are both headbangers and looking for an opportunity to put themselves out there as defenders of freedom etc, and the issue of the impact of the restrictions is a red herring, but the constitutionally point seems to have some merit to me.

A caretaker govt rushing through emergency legislation was far from ideal. Especially such serious measures. Having said that it could well prove to be the catalyst for a majority coalition being formed relatively soon.
                                                                                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                                        Fair enough they are both headbangers and looking for an opportunity to put themselves out there as defenders of freedom etc, and the issue of the impact of the restrictions is a red herring, but the constitutionally point seems to have some merit to me.

A caretaker govt rushing through emergency legislation was far from ideal. Especially such serious measures. Having said that it could well prove to be the catalyst for a majority coalition being formed relatively soon.
                                                                                                                        No such thing as a caretaker government. They are the government. The point has zero merit.
                                                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                                                                                                                          Have you source for that?

I was actually surprised of their daily deaths reported today, thought it would be higher due to the known delay of weekend reporting and spike when it clears.
                                                                                                                          A fairly reliable source alright.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X