This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    We're still pretty middle of the pack. Point about France is that they are better off than Italy and Spain and within a week of them on the curve. They're both opening up a bit and France are going another full month.
    Spain isn't opening up a bit. Non public facing businesses are allowed to have people travel to work...that's the extent of the 'opening up'

apart from that, lockdown continues. Still not allowed leave the house for exercise, and they even have helicopters making sure nobody is on the roofs of their apartment blocks.

lockdown confirmed until april 26th and the pm has already indicated we should expect another two weeks at least.
    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
      I'm wearing a mask when i go out. Masks work. It's astonishing that people are still saying they don't protect the wearer. It's nonsense. They don't provide complete protection but they're still absolutely better than nothing. Even a bandana will provide limited protection for you and reasonable protection for the people around you.

Surely poker players of all people would jump at the chance to give themselves a % lower chance of catching it without worrying about looking silly?
      The line i like is "people are too dumb to gown up and down correctly"

If you touch the front of the mask when removing it and then go on to touch your face you could introduce the virus etc, obviously in a medical setting when there is a far greater chance of the virus coming into contact with the mask, but trot that line out to me leaving dunnes, if there is virus on the front of the mask, would it not have entered my mouth if i had not been wearing one ?, the mask has now stopped it and hand washing after removing it has potentially saved me ?

Handwashing, handwashing, handwashing.
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
        Must get annoying after the third day or so.

Want any masks?
        No, I'm still grand, stop ringing me.
        Yeah well I cant say much... He parents were to go back to China at the end of Feb and before Christmas I said it to herself that this covid19 was serious in China and that they shouldn't travel back, this went on for weeks and eventually I won, flights were refunded and I said great at least they will be safe here and everything will be alright!

they are from the Liaoning region in China
        According to John Hopkins in thee area which is half the size of Ireland
        Confirmed: 145
        Deaths: 2

Cue to Dublin where on Sunday Morning an ambo showed up @5am and took the guy out of the house right across from us and were back @2pm to take his Wife

there is more cases in Blach than her region, would have been a lot safer to send them back!!

results based thinking but it still burns

Comment

Thank you Dom. Your efforts are appreciated.
          IPB frontline workers at your service!

Comment

Surely poker players of all people would jump at the chance to give themselves a % lower chance of catching it without worrying about looking silly?
            Well it can't be anymore stupid than the time I was playing an event and a guy was wearing Beats, sunglasses, a scarf and read a hardback book.

Comment

You dont see beats headphones that much anymore, was an easy way to spot an arsehole from a distance
              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                You dont see beats headphones that much anymore, was an easy way to spot an arsehole from a distance
                That's why I keep mine in the wardrobe now, that way I'm far more of an inconspicuous arsehole

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                  I taught the whole reason the public weren't to wear them was they were needed by front line providers, which I wouldn't take away from, Wife got a load from sent in from China back in Early Feb and with China back open all the her parents friends are ringing them daily looking to see if they want mask sent over
                  Yeah the CDC told people not to wear masks coz they were worried people would stockpile the good shit. As Oleras pointed out, you could see the lie in plain sight. You don't need an N95, a builder's breather will do just fine. I have a few packs of them in the shed. Will let them go for €50 each
                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                    AirPods- near 200 euro for ridic yokes whose irreplaceable battery will be useless within 2 years. Massive cunt status symbol

Comment

On my 2nd lockdown beard.

Comment

Had a genius in a facemask and gloves walk straight into me on Sunday because she had her headphones in and her head stuck in her phone on a narrow footpath. It's hard to be positive about people all the time.

Comment

I think the 538 numbers for Trumps approval ratings are quite interesting scary.

His “disapproval” rating has dropped from somewhere in the 53.2% range on March 11th to around 51.2% on April 11th, it went as low as 49% in recent days which is the lowest it’s been since March 2017.

If it’s indicative of anything, perhaps Trump is more popular than ever

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                            I think the 538 numbers for Trumps approval ratings are quite interesting scary.

His “disapproval” rating has dropped from somewhere in the 53.2% range on March 11th to around 51.2% on April 11th, it went as low as 49% in recent days which is the lowest it’s been since March 2017.

If it’s indicative of anything, perhaps Trump is more popular than ever
                            You'll see the same in all countries, it's a global trend in a crisis.

Everyone thought George W was a bollix until 9/11
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                              IPB frontline workers at your service!
                              Definitely an essential service. Not even joking.
                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                AirPods- near 200 euro for ridic yokes whose irreplaceable battery will be useless within 2 years. Massive cunt status symbol
                                Bright white of course, no point being a cunt if people cant see that from a distance.
                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                  On my 2nd lockdown beard.
                                  Same as that mine has three very distinct and notcable colours!

Comment

would love a nice pair of beat headphones right now the earbuds are starting to annoy me no enough lenght on the cable

Airpods seem mental to me, spending that much money on a thing i loose or misplace a lot would be mental

Comment

Definitely an essential service. Not even joking.
                                      ROUND OF APPLEAusE toNiTe at 8 for Our IPB HEROEZ

Comment

Yeah the CDC told people not to wear masks coz they were worried people would stockpile the good shit. As Oleras pointed out, you could see the lie in plain sight. You don't need an N95, a builder's breather will do just fine. I have a few packs of them in the shed. Will let them go for €50 each
                                        I'll give you €600 for three!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

ROUND OF APPLEAusE toNiTe at 8 for Our IPB HEROEZ
                                            Don't forget the candle in the window for me too.

Comment

This is genuine. People, or should I say Americans, bought this..

[IMG]
                                              png image hosting[/IMG]
                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

How are people working from home dealing with the lack of office gossip, idle chit chat, uninformed speculation as to what various people are at?
                                                  I'm thinking of things like a member of someones family died over the weekend, one of the management team announces he's going to retire later in the year, what happened to that project that was shelved and never mentioned again etc. that kind of news doesn't leak out the way it would when we are all there.
                                                  We'd have a number of small teams who would have lots of internal communications, but the cross team stuff would be half chit chat and half useful transfer of information tips and tricks etc. We are getting really good high level and team level communications from management but its the rest that feels like an important gap.
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

there could be some other software it relies on Hitch, like a visual C++ framework that needs installed first

https://www.itechtics.com/microsoft-...ownload-links/
                                                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                      How are people working from home dealing with the lack of office gossip, idle chit chat, uninformed speculation as to what various people are at?
                                                      I'm thinking of things like a member of someones family died over the weekend, one of the management team announces he's going to retire later in the year, what happened to that project that was shelved and never mentioned again etc. that kind of news doesn't leak out the way it would when we are all there.
                                                      We'd have a number of small teams who would have lots of internal communications, but the cross team stuff would be half chit chat and half useful transfer of information tips and tricks etc. We are getting really good high level and team level communications from management but its the rest that feels like an important gap.
                                                      Mary Lou has the bug ? You ok ?

Comment

Fantastic. Lack of all the above is the greatest
                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                          A question for the nerds.

I'm trying to install a package written in C++ and it's failing the 'make' final stage. The program hasn't been updated in a few years, so not sure if its a permanent problem, but don't think it is.

The question (please bear in mind I don't really understand these words I'm about to use): as the program is available for install in a few operating systems, is there any possibility that if I was to install an extra operating system e.g. Fedora that it might work on that? As in, might it be a problem with Windows rather than a problem with the program?
                                                          What colour is the machine?

Comment

I have two different teams open, web whatsapp, desktop telegram and gchat... just chatting with about 5 different clients at the moment not really doing any work for them just checking in, the main threads are boring enough but getting some good chats directly with people but know what your saying not the same as having the chats!!

I say a lot of people are not going to be brought back... I have seen a lot of companies take on more efficient ways of operating business and doubt they will move back meaning less work loads in office's

Comment

Tricky time coming up for governments around the world.

What parts of society, or of the economy, reopening will bring the most net benefit. Net benefit being economic benefit, value to citizens, and not cause the current behaviours of distancing and cohesion to fall apart while also being low risk in terms of another outbreak.

I think if people can be given a schedule of potential reopenings, with tangible way points, but told its fluid that the behaviours we see could be kept up for months, even a year.

Perhaps we can use the US as a case study since Trump seems determined to reopen things.
                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

What parts of society, or of the economy, reopening will bring the most net benefit. Net benefit being economic benefit, value to citizens, and not cause the current behaviours of distancing and cohesion to fall apart while also being low risk in terms of another outbreak.

I think if people can be given a schedule of potential reopenings, with tangible way points, but told its fluid that the behaviours we see could be kept up for months, even a year.

Perhaps we can use the US as a case study since Trump seems determined to reopen things.
                                                                it's only gonna take a nervous nelly for America to blow up and completely turn into Mad Max type of land... gun stores are sold out... people are already freaking a couple of meat processing plants closed and dairy farmers dumping milk because it cant process or have a market for it so food shortages are turning into a big fear... I give it about 2 weeks before marshall law is declared in some places!!

Comment

Well Austria, Norway and Denmark would surely be better case studies for us. Norway jumping straight in and opening schools.

Comment

Well it has to be hospitality and retail as they are the areas which have suffered the most.

I'd guess hotels may be first to open with some type of capacity limits. This will be followed by restaurants, cafes & pubs, all of which will also have limited capacity(tables x distance apart, no matter than 4 people), also encouraging takeaway where possible.

Greater vigilance around alcohol consumption if possible, disposal plastic in all pubs/cafes/restaurants and possibly no nightclubs re-open for the foreseeable future.

Similar measures for retails, x people in store at one time, possibly no trying on clothes either.

Lot's of people will be itching to get back to the gym, I don't think any showering will be allowed in places, everyone bringing disposal wipes instead of a token wipe with a towel. You must book in slots to use the gym, not sure how the FlyeFits & Ben Dunne's of the world will manage that under their model.
                                                                    Gym class sizes limited with live stream for people where possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                      ^^ start with reopening of horseracing and then work from there.
                                                                      Is horse racing a net benefit to society at the best of times?
                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

^^ start with reopening of horseracing and then work from there.
                                                                        Is there any talk of what happens if we can't have the Guineas, Derby etc set of races whilst the horses in this crop are still 3 year olds?
                                                                        I guess there's at least 6 months to play with and behind closed doors might be an option, but failing that?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                            Well Austria, Norway and Denmark would surely be better case studies for us. Norway jumping straight in and opening schools.
                                                                            In some ways that has to happen to allow many parents to get back to work.

It's the logical first step but the first thing to close here was schools so perhaps they'll simply reverse the order which seems illogical to me.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                Well it has to be hospitality and retail as they are the areas which have suffered the most.

I'd guess hotels may be first to open with some type of capacity limits. This will be followed by restaurants, cafes & pubs, all of which will also have limited capacity(tables x distance apart, no matter than 4 people), also encouraging takeaway where possible.

Greater vigilance around alcohol consumption if possible, disposal plastic in all pubs/cafes/restaurants and possibly no nightclubs re-open for the foreseeable future.

Similar measures for retails, x people in store at one time, possibly no trying on clothes either.

Lot's of people will be itching to get back to the gym, I don't think any showering will be allowed in places, everyone bringing disposal wipes instead of a token wipe with a towel. You must book in slots to use the gym, not sure how the FlyeFits & Ben Dunne's of the world will manage that under their model.
                                                                                Gym class sizes limited with live stream for people where possible.
                                                                                I would have thought hotels and gyms would be the last to reopen myself. People are generally filthy in both. So you now have to battle habit way more in those domains that others?

I think retail, particularly shopping malls could reopen with capacity limits. Much like a big grocery story really.

Comment

I'm trying to install a package written in C++ and it's failing the 'make' final stage. The program hasn't been updated in a few years, so not sure if its a permanent problem, but don't think it is.

The question (please bear in mind I don't really understand these words I'm about to use): as the program is available for install in a few operating systems, is there any possibility that if I was to install an extra operating system e.g. Fedora that it might work on that? As in, might it be a problem with Windows rather than a problem with the program?
                                                                                  You can either fix whatever error it is throwing on your machine - just google the error, or yes install an OS or version of your OS that it already supports, or possibly need to install software that it is relying on.

Comment

...

Comment

I would have thought hotels and gyms would be the last to reopen myself. People are generally filthy in both. So you now have to battle habit way more in those domains that others?

I think retail, particularly shopping malls could reopen with capacity limits. Much like a big grocery story really.
                                                                                      Retail will open as soon as possible given it's impact.

Like you said, I think gyms will be last but they'll open before it's over. Their economic impact is very limited, that part was more just a thought of what will happen there.

Retail & hospitality will be the ones which are pushed the most.

Comment

...

Comment

I'd say it will be something like the following, which is an approximation of the French plan:

1. Wait until new cases fall back until very low and there's a decent stock of masks available for everyone.

2. Reopen all businesses except social ones: cafes, bars, cinemas, events to stay closed until probably the end of summer

3. Give people, if they wish, the possibility to stay isolated. E.g. remote working is a worker right, providing its feasible for the firm.

4. Gradually reopen schools, from most critical - students in exam years - to less important - younger kids.
                                                                                          Reasonable approach I think, the mitigation with masks should really be a precursor to reopening anything. It's not only effective but it's also a visual reminder we are still in danger.

Will reopening all businesses except social ones cause those businesses to become social ones? Mallrats!

Comment

Someone needs to spare a thought for the brazzers too, surely bottom of the totem pole in terms of reopening.

Comment

Also where is Lloyd? He drops in here to play chicken little, tells everyone how right he was and then peaces out?

Comment

Yeah, I think that'll be the line. The retail social distancing model is already established now through supermarkets.

Not sure hotels will even want to reopen given we're unlikely to have significant flights until the end of summer and they are built on a model of business and tourist flights.
                                                                                                Perhaps flights are less relevant in the current climate though.

I'm not sure of how much of Irish hotel occupation is domestic but irrespective of flights, I think people may want to stay in Ireland to holiday until next year so their revenue may not be as badly affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                  I'll give you €600 for three!
                                                                                                  Fucking hoarders gtfo
                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

On another note, I don't understand the American stock markets.

Where is this buoyancy coming from? It seems the market is totally decoupled from business performance. Snp blasted back through 2800 on open today.

Comment

Answers

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                                                      Part Deux;

1/ May have shot Bobby Darin. Solskjaer (Baby face Assasin)

2/ No addition to this celestial cue game this year. 6Starpool

3/ Embarrassed or going through the change didnt affect her art. Mrs Flushdraw

4/ Nobody was expecting his revelation, to me it was small change. Shrapnel

5/ Fraser and Niles long lost brother. Denny Crane

7/ Good notes on how to get a lift to the shop for a choclate bar. Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy

8/ He linked being funny with a direct line from the centre to the perimeter. Elbows

9/ That's just the way he rolls on this page. Dice75

10/ His TV career is looking a bit wobbly. Hectorjelly

Comment

Also where is Lloyd? He drops in here to play chicken little, tells everyone how right he was and then peaces out?
                                                                                                        Has to be a very busy time for your organised serial killer. That, or enjoying beer deliveries too much
                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Where is this buoyancy coming from? It seems the market is totally decoupled from business performance. Snp blasted back through 2800 on open today.
                                                                                                          coke head 1 punts against coke head 2

the end!

Comment

Read this earlier: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/b...from-home.html

Thought of Denny obviously, interesting if it is having much impact on the markets.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                                                              Answers
                                                                                                              Dang, didn't even get my own!!!

Comment

this sounds like a very similar problem I had with libpostal/pypostal

the windows repo is a bit of a faff. issues with frameworks etc
                                                                                                                but generally, if you set up a VM and install fedora/unbuntu etc it'll probably be an easier path
                                                                                                                just be wary of using it alongside your 'parent' OS
                                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

He is doing a Mary Lou vigil, no time for trivia
                                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Im not playing the Music King competition but dipped in for a look...

Christy Hennessy a true singer/songwriter/storytelling legend getting labelled like this by Elshambles has me shocked. He was far far far more genuine in his endeavours than the latter year frauds that tried to copy him (Damian Dempsey springs to mind). I think Irish Music would be in a better place now were it not for his life being cut short.
                                                                                                                        Ah he forgot to say the Culchies loved him.
                                                                                                                        Not a big damo fan but you are very wrong .

Check these out btw . Cult following . I think they are brilliant . But IPB and I differ in the main when it comes to music.

Comment

Thanks! Would you use something like VirtualBox for the VM?
                                                                                                                          that's what i use
                                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X