This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing a presidential cabinet where the Boss(wo)man can pick their own ministers from anywhere, non-elected.
    In theory I think that can happen now for any ministry except for Taoiseach, Tanaiste and MOF. The Boss can just 'elect' his preferred outsiders into the Seanad and they can then become cabinet minsters.
    Would be an unlikely step for a Taoiseach to take admittedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
      Diamond Dallas Page?

Out of curiosity whats the training?

basically magic

If this story can inspire someone you know, please share it with them!Arthur Boorman was a disabled veteran of the Gulf War for 15 years, and was told by his...

In case you missed HBO's Real Sports segment on DDP YOGA , DDP, Jake "The Snake" Roberts and Scott Hall, you can catch it now! I
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
        Looks like Murphy is the interviewer behind the big desk and Claire Byrne is the guest.
        Peculiar set but it kind of works, and it helps to show off her legs
        I'm sure its not an RTE original idea because there ghasn't been an original idea in Montrose in 50 years.

Dunphy is a ridiculous parody of something he fancies himself to be.
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
          TWD

SPOILER
          God, that's a depressing episode. Wasn't expecting tyreese death there at all. Not sure why I am more bummed out by his death than Beth. Really good episode I thought though.
          SPOILER
          I guess because he had gone through a lot, was a good guy and had just come back from it, feeling he was turning his life around. Helping out that kid just beforehand too

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
          TWD
          SPOILER
          Pretty slow episode. Glad Tyresse is gone, his character really bugged me. He was essentially playing the same part he played in the Wire.

Also what is happening with the guy from Season 1 and 3 (?) that Rick used to try and speak to on the Radio? He appeared towards the end of last season for a brief second walking along the tracks but hasn't come back since.

SPOILER
          Probably just for suspense at the time tbh, he's probably lurking around and will; jump in at some random time they are being attacked
          Last edited by DeadParrot; 10-02-15, 10:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
            SPOILER
            I guess because he had gone through a lot, was a good guy and had just come back from it, feeling he was turning his life around. Helping out that kid just beforehand too

SPOILER
            ]Probably just for suspense at the time tbh, he's probably lurking around and will; jump in at some random time they are being attacked
            TWD
            SPOILER
            Though it was shite , kinda of a waste of an episode, especially the bit where he was hallucinating . just didnt see the point at all
            Her sky-ness
            © 5starpool

Comment

good news fellow comic fans
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                Strange day yesterday. Committed to bringing a close relation to a conference on hepatitis c and the latest drug improvements . As I left home at 7 am I was dreading it as I had presumed it would finish at lunch but had just found out it was scheduled to run till 1730 so I was going to miss a great days sport.

The first session was given by two professors from St James and a transplant surgeon from Vincent's . As I listened a growing sense of ineptitude set in as they described how they had spent their careers in various parts of the world working to eradicate the virus and having all returned to Ireland were now working on achieving that goal here. This is something that they feel can now be achieved by 2025 if the proper funding can be secured.

It came as a surprise to me at least to find out that more people die yearly from hep c than from H.I.V. I also naively thought that if you presented at A&E and had to have a blood test that both these viruses would show up if you were infected with either or both. You actually have to request to be tested for them. They estimate that there are 35-50 thousand people in Ireland that have no idea they have hep c. and will continue to be unaware unless a targeted screening programme can be funded. A pilot scheme of 1,000 people showed positive results of 40 times more than normal although some of this increase may have been related to the socio - economic problems of the location.

The afternoon session was a panel made up of a nurse , a counsellor and 3 patients who had entered various forms of treatment over the last 30 years since the virus became identifiable.the feelings of ineptitude from earlier were quickly replaced by a feeling of how lucky I have been in life compared to the 3 speakers and also how brave some people are in the face of adversity . Two of them had haemophilia and had been given blood containing both H.I.V. And hep c and the third patient had been an injecting drug user who contracted the hep c virus. There stories were horrific, one in particular brought most of the room to tears. Happily they have all been hep c virus free for some time and in the most horrific case there was a real silver lining . Because of the severity of his problems he had to be transplanted with a beating liver . As a result he no longer has Haemophilia .

The best success rates from previous medications were 60-70% and the meds had to be taken over a long period with severe side effects. A newly licensed drug Havorin has shown to have minimal side effects and in clinical trials is showing success rates of 97% which will probably drop by 5-10 % in actual treatment. It also has a duration of only 48 weeks and those for whom it won't be successful can be identified after 12 weeks. The new drug costs € 50000 and with a budget of c. 25 million left for this year only around 350 people will receive the treatment starting with the most severe cases.

Dr Varadkar popped in and did a 15 min speech which was well received. He showed empathy without being condescending and spoke very well on the subject .

All in all hope seemed to be the over-riding feeling for most of the people at the end of it. Enjoyable isn't the right word but certainly was delighted that I had attended and managed to see most of the rugby / Spurs match during the lunch break .
                Unbelievable news this morning, my mam received a call this morning from St James to attend an explanitory meeting tomorrow with a view to starting the new treatment next week. Tears of joy rolling down my face in work as I type this .

Medicine - FTW

Comment

My new Ecig arrived today and for any vapours around here , I highly highly recomend this one! Its awesome. So light and small. massive battery life. Vape while charging and also a battery indicator.

I got here:
                  Quit Smoking with Electronic Cigarettes Ireland Galway only the best brands as Joyetech Smoktech Kanger Vision Boge Dekang Liqua Provari quit smoking with us

Use "irishvape" for 10% discount

The tank I am using here is
                  Quit Smoking with Electronic Cigarettes Ireland Galway only the best brands as Joyetech Smoktech Kanger Vision Boge Dekang Liqua Provari quit smoking with us

Go for the 30w as its a step up from the 20w which had a few teething problems. It comes with an adapter for your tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Met8_7jLnTA
                  Her sky-ness
                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                    TWD
                    SPOILER
                    Though it was shite , kinda of a waste of an episode, especially the bit where he was hallucinating . just didnt see the point at all
                    SPOILER
                    He got a longer death scene than he deserved too. Pointless character he was a direct replacement for T-Dog.

Comment

TWD
                      SPOILER
                      TWD

SPOILER
                      Loved it, Tyreese is the man.

the dude was bleeding out and making peace with what he had done, and gladfully did at the end.
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                        TWD

SPOILER
                        Loved it, Tyreese is the man.

the dude was bleeding out and making peace with what he had done, and gladfully did at the end.
                        SPOILER
                        He must have been a very boring character as I cant even remember what he did lol!
                        Her sky-ness
                        © 5starpool

Comment

SPOILER
                          He must have been a very boring character as I cant even remember what he did lol!
                          SPOILER

maybe 2 seasons back it was him and the baby in a cabin in the woods, was a great episode. And he forgave the older one for killing his bird/group when it was inevitable they were gona change, thats the way i remember it anyway, could be wrong. he was very strong and silent character.
                          This too shall pass.

Comment

My new Ecig arrived today and for any vapours around here , I highly highly recomend this one! Its awesome. So light and small. massive battery life. Vape while charging and also a battery indicator.

I got here:

Use "irishvape" for 10% discount

The tank I am using here is

Go for the 30w as its a step up from the 20w which had a few teething problems. It comes with an adapter for your tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Met8_7jLnTA
                            I'm quite happy with my VIP kit

Why should I bother changing?

Comment

Quite the hiding for Ireland today v Scotland. Bowled out for 117 (50-0 at one stage) chasing 297. Appear to be in rag order ahead of the world cup this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                Think of it as comparing cars, you have a Fiat/Lada I have a Ferrari. The lads on the Vaping group absolutely hate VIP stuff, they are kind of an unknown cheap brand.

The more well know ones like Vision, Kanger etc are very relaible. The throat hit, vape and other little extras make it worth the purchase. They are not much more expensive either. Its nice to have a few different types in your collect too
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                  Quite the hiding for Ireland today v Scotland. Bowled out for 117 (50-0 at one stage) chasing 297. Appear to be in rag order ahead of the world cup this weekend
                                  Aussie pitches were never going to suit us but yeah, not looking good

particularly as I have all kinds of bets going with Indian colleagues on that match
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Think of it as comparing cars, you have a Fiat/Lada I have a Ferrari. The lads on the Vaping group absolutely hate VIP stuff, they are kind of an unknown cheap brand.

The more well know ones like Vision, Kanger etc are very relaible. The throat hit, vape and other little extras make it worth the purchase. They are not much more expensive either. Its nice to have a few different types in your collect too
                                    I'm afraid that sounds suspiciously like bollox.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                      SPOILER

maybe 2 seasons back it was him and the baby in a cabin in the woods, was a great episode. And he forgave the older one for killing his bird/group when it was inevitable they were gona change, thats the way i remember it anyway, could be wrong. he was very strong and silent character.
                                      SPOILER
                                      SPOILER
                                      dont forget killing those two girls and I guess he just changed the way he thought, he was an angry man not at peace with himself. He's actually one of the most developed characters. People seem to be getting very bland though, remember in season one when glenn was a badass, they have ruined him, most of the people have become nothings

happy to hear horatio, wish her the best.

Comment

Are you not concerned about the implications for production of formaldehyde by making them more 50% more powerful?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          Are you not concerned about the implications for production of formaldehyde by making them more 50% more powerful?
                                          Nothing wrong with a small dose

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                            I'm afraid that sounds suspiciously like bollox.
                                            Well its not, vaping is practically a hobby to Alot now and Ecigs vary so so much from one to the other. If you had a high end one and a low end one for 24 hours you would understand, even down to the flavour

Couldn't give a fuck it couldn't be any worse than the thousands of toxins and tar in one cigarette.
                                            My mother has stopped using her inhaler for the first time in years after only two weeks of vaping.
                                            Her sky-ness
                                            © 5starpool

Comment

LOL that didn't last long

So as well as a new minimum wage, jobs for everyone, free health and a pony too Syrizia are going to implement 70% of the proposed structural reforms proposed by the Troika

Well good luck with that, they are going to need a whole army of Mary Lou type bare faced liars to keep a smoke screen going at home.

I thought all those prices quoted yesterday were clear lays but I'm wondering now if 5/2 another election this year might not be the value of the three.

Comment

So as well as a new minimum wage, jobs for everyone, free health and a pony too Syrizia are going to implement 70% of the proposed structural reforms proposed by the Troika

Well good luck with that, they are going to need a whole army of Mary Lou type bare faced liars to keep a smoke screen going at home.

I thought all those prices quoted yesterday were clear lays but I'm wondering now if 5/2 another election this year might not be the value of the three.
                                                The What have the romans ever done to us skit from Monty Python and the Life of BrianI do not own any of this material it's all courtesy of Monty Python at w...

Comment

none of that shit matters

The only thing that matters is when they call the police and\or army out to stop desperate people trying to get their money out of the banks.

Also; there will be a debt deal for Greece. All this grandstanding is irrelevant - they are bankrupt. Dead Men Walking. I actually think they would be better off outside the currency bloc, perhaps as an autonomous province of Turkey.

Comment

No werewolf talk in the bbv pls
                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Still citing a throughly debunked study I see.
                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                        I like that word, its a neat combination of truly and thoroughly.

Comment

Well its not, vaping is practically a hobby to Alot now
                                                          I see SPs point in a lot of this for once, SatNavs first line is a reason to worry, yes happy days it gets people of the really bad stuff but if people treat this like a hobby or go from not smoking to vaping it can't be a good thing.

I can see plenty more studies coming out, has this one been debunked yet? http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0116861

Comment

Good article from today that was posted on FB vape group

In one of the most ironic twists in my 30-year career in tobacco control, the anti-smoking movement is doing more to harm the public's healt...
                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Management company wants to get someone in to do an energy survey in my place, have been here over two years, is it likely that they only do something like that with a view to selling the place?

Comment

happy to hear horatio, wish her the best.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tar and everyone. It's been a long and painful 20 years watching someone you love slowly deteriorate before your eyes. The various other treatments either did not suit her genotype or if they did there were complicating factors which meant the side effects would be too severe.

I'm not sure what lies ahead on the road we are about to travel. I am not religious but God / Allah / Jehovah et Al are all on my contact list to make sure she is in the 85-90 % success stats. ( or do they only take calls from believers)

Today is fast becoming one of the best days of my life. Boss calls me in and says she wants me to go on the road 1 week in 3 visiting customers and trying to find new business. If a success will become full time.

Then the father in law rings , some lad he done some work for pro bono has comped him flights and tickets for old Trafford sat week and he wants me to go.

No point in anyone doing euro millions . This day is mine.

Apologies I seem to have morphed into a male sat nav! ( sorry msn)

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                  Then the father in law rings , some lad he done some work for pro bono has comped him flights and tickets for old Trafford sat week and he wants me to go.
                                                                  Ugh, unlucky. Your day was going so well too!

Comment

I dreamt last night that Stevie G got the first goal tonight. Scores it with his head.

You know where you heard it first.

#gypsyroselee

Comment

EPL 2016-19 TV auction finished apparently. Results at 5pm.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                        I can see plenty more studies coming out, has this one been debunked yet? http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0116861
                                                                        Easy. There's nothing new in this study, just more specific numbers that confirm what we already know:

Cigarette smoke contains 1014 free radicals per puff [13], and is a potent source of oxidative stress. Many free radicals are produced during combustion of tobacco, and since E-cigs do not contain any combustion products, it has been assumed that E-cigs will have very low levels of free radicals. We determined that E-cig vapor contains 7x1011 free radicals per puff and elicits a significant increase in oxidative stress. While this concentration is several orders of magnitude lower than in cigarette smoke, it is nonetheless a substantial number of free radicals that could be potentially toxic to cells.
                                                                        Translation: Vaping is way better than smoking.

The only recent scientific development is this:

indeed, the battery output voltage has been shown to play a role in generation of other toxic chemicals
                                                                        Now we know for certain that it's very bad to use too high a voltage in your eCig. But any vaper who's tinkered with their device can tell you that already: Overcharged coils produce a really nasty smell and taste which is nigh impossible to inhale. We now know that nastiness is formaldehyde. It also occurs naturally in very small doses and is not neccessarily toxic in the doses detected.

The other byproduct detected from overcharging is acetaldehyde, which is already produced in tobacco smoke in greater concentrations than eCigs. So there's still nothing new here. This too occurs naturally in very small doses and is not neccessarily toxic in the doses detected.

My primary criticism of this study is that they made no attempt to ensure that the coils they were using were not overcharged. They were clearly detecting formaldehyde in their vapour, which other studies have shown is only produced when the coil is overcharged. Ordinary users say that overcharging is immediately detectable as a nasty taste which triggers a gag reflex. So there's a decent chance effectively zero vapers are getting a toxic dose of formaldehyde in their vapour. There's scope here for further research but absolutely nothing revelatory.

And finally, like every other study, they made no attempt whatsoever to compare the toxicity to tobacco smoke, barring a few throwaway lines not critical to the study's findings. I'm sure they justified it as "beyond the scope".

As for non-smokers taking up vaping - they are basically a myth. You might be able to find an isolated few, but for every one you'll find a hundred ex-smokers who are now vapers, and are much better off for it.
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Think I've cracked how to watch The. Just watch 4 episodes a season- the opener, mid season finale and reopen, and the season finale. This saves you from slogging through all the rest which is turgid padding. I've been doing it since season 2, watch a few at the start of a season, get bored and give up, come back to it at the end. You don't miss anything

Comment

Easy. There's nothing new in this study, just more specific numbers that confirm what we already know:

Translation: Vaping is way better than smoking.

The only recent scientific development is this:

Now we know for certain that it's very bad to use too high a voltage in your eCig. But any vaper who's tinkered with their device can tell you that already: Overcharged coils produce a really nasty smell and taste which is nigh impossible to inhale. We now know that nastiness is formaldehyde. It also occurs naturally in very small doses and is not neccessarily toxic in the doses detected.

The other byproduct detected from overcharging is acetaldehyde, which is already produced in tobacco smoke in greater concentrations than eCigs. So there's still nothing new here. This too occurs naturally in very small doses and is not neccessarily toxic in the doses detected.

My primary criticism of this study is that they made no attempt to ensure that the coils they were using were not overcharged. They were clearly detecting formaldehyde in their vapour, which other studies have shown is only produced when the coil is overcharged. Ordinary users say that overcharging is immediately detectable as a nasty taste which triggers a gag reflex. So there's a decent chance effectively zero vapers are getting a toxic dose of formaldehyde in their vapour. There's scope here for further research but absolutely nothing revelatory.

And finally, like every other study, they made no attempt whatsoever to compare the toxicity to tobacco smoke, barring a few throwaway lines not critical to the study's findings. I'm sure they justified it as "beyond the scope".

As for non-smokers taking up vaping - they are basically a myth. You might be able to find an isolated few, but for every one you'll find a hundred ex-smokers who are now vapers, and are much better off for it.
                                                                            I was pretty tempted to take up vaping after seeing Gomorrah, Conte looks pretty cool doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                              CHD, any idea when tickets will go on sale for the McGregor fight? What's the best way to make sure of getting them?
                                                                              So it will probably be 3 months til tickets are out. Some time in May.

Mellor posted this before

Typically it goes;

Fight club presale: Tuesday
                                                                              Newsletter presale: Wednesday
                                                                              Public Sale:Thursday

It's $75 per year

So for that $75 you will get into a presale, could us it for his next fight too. Plenty of time to organise it anyway. Mellor would know a lot more about it than me.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                So it will probably be 3 months til tickets are out. Some time in May.

Mellor posted this before

Typically it goes;

Fight club presale: Tuesday
                                                                                Newsletter presale: Wednesday
                                                                                Public Sale:Thursday

It's $75 per year

So for that $75 you will get into a presale, could us it for his next fight too. Plenty of time to organise it anyway. Mellor would know a lot more about it than me.
                                                                                Cheers for that. Surprising they wait until ~6 weeks before the fight to sell them. There's a few of us so sharing the $75 is well worth it I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                                  Cheers for that. Surprising they wait until ~6 weeks before the fight to sell them. There's a few of us so sharing the $75 is well worth it I guess.
                                                                                  Yeah its actually good value between a few and you can do the same again within the year for his defence/rematch/next big fight. Bargain if it works out that way.

Comment

Lying on the couch degen punting crappy racing. Absolute bliss.
                                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                      Lying on the couch degen punting crappy racing. Absolute bliss.
                                                                                      let me guess, Southwell and Sedgefield?

Comment

let me guess, Southwell and Sedgefield?
                                                                                        Ffos Las and Clonmel
                                                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Ffos Las and Clonmel
                                                                                          Clonmel isn't the worst

Ffos Llas is one of those tracks that (a) I have no idea where it is and (b) always seems to be hock-deep in mud

Comment

Clonmel isn't the worst

Ffos Llas is one of those tracks that (a) I have no idea where it is and (b) always seems to be hock-deep in mud
                                                                                            Big Gambol landed for JP in Clonmel 10's into 3/1 hacks up

Comment

Big Gambol landed for JP in Clonmel 10's into 3/1 hacks up
                                                                                              JP? Has that ever happened before?

Comment

For any casual darts fans, why not enter the IPB Premier League Predictions thread here

We kick off on Thursday, and entry fee is only €25 and that will give you an interest in all 78 matches over the coming weeks. Plenty of bragging rights up for grabs as you get the chance to take on Finkel on his home turf, and give CHD and Kev a run for their money on the arrows. You can even bring down our own Armani 'JimmyMaGee' Jeans. Why wouldn't you want to get involved. You will just need to enter your predictions for the 5 matches every Thursday and that's pretty much it!

Even if you don't follow darts, it's still worth a punt, so get involved!

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                  JP? Has that ever happened before?
                                                                                                  1st time for everything.

Comment

Clonmel isn't the worst

Ffos Llas sounds like the craggy island of wales. There was only 1 finisher in a race there last week

Comment

2nd ep of better call saul was a big improvement

Comment

EPL TV.
                                                                                                        Looks to be much the same split as before, Sky get 5 packages, BT 2.
                                                                                                        Sky keeps all the Sunday stuff and has the new Friday games.

Over £5B, a huge increase.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                          Yeah its actually good value between a few and you can do the same again within the year for his defence/rematch/next big fight. Bargain if it works out that way.
                                                                                                          is this not only worthwhile if you're buying the cheap seats where you only go to the event "for the atmosphere" cause you'll be looking at the big screen for the whole night?

no events actually sell out on normal opening day or day 2 or 10 for that matter, only the cheap seats do.

Comment

who can tell me what a decent brand of binocular is? mainly for going racing but potential indestructability to children also a consideration

Comment

who can tell me what a decent brand of binocular is? mainly for going racing but potential indestructability to children also a consideration
                                                                                                              budget would be the main consideration. a lot of big camera companies do binoculars also, with excellent glass and i think you'd be pretty unlucky to break them.

although there may be special ones for racing which i'd have no clue about.

Comment

I've a pair of Nikon action, think mine are model 3 or 4, think you can go way up from there. I.e 7 & 8 ... Mine were just over 100 but are excellent...not at home here so will find out what model they are and get back to ya...only criticism is that mine are a bit on the heavy side compared to other makes that ya can get..
                                                                                                                Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                  budget would be the main consideration. a lot of big camera companies do binoculars also, with excellent glass and i think you'd be pretty unlucky to break them.

although there may be special ones for racing which i'd have no clue about.
                                                                                                                  Love that avatar btw

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                    is this not only worthwhile if you're buying the cheap seats where you only go to the event "for the atmosphere" cause you'll be looking at the big screen for the whole night?

no events actually sell out on normal opening day or day 2 or 10 for that matter, only the cheap seats do.
                                                                                                                    No idea tbh. I reckon they sell fast and you are better off safe rather than sorry.

Comment

Reading up on the weeks news there and...

Taxing online gambling? Anyone know what this is going to entail exactly? Can they really tax betfair exchange? Argh.
                                                                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Love that avatar btw
                                                                                                                        wasn't to spec but i'll wear it with pride as it was a gift.

When we beat you this saturday i'll think about removing it

Comment

I think it's a rare day when I agree with Claire Daly, but today is one of those days.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X