X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

meh

but actual country reserves? a lot of the inherent global trust starts to break down if a countries reserves can be seized, no matter the situation. Iraqi reserves weren't seized btw. Its just too much of a global red line. But, the solution might lie in how Iraq was actually forced to compensate the Kuwaitis - not through seizure, but through a UN commission that determined specific economic harm to Kuwait by Iraq and then forced them to pay for it. So, that will eventually happen with Russia too and they will be legally liable to pay in due course.
    That could only happen if they are miltarily defeated
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Onto the more important topics of the day; lamb burgers, yay or nay?

I won't even debate turkey burgers, which are clearly the product of a very sick mind.

Comment

Back on the Russia-Ukraine War, Timothy Snyder (who knows more about European history than basically anyone) has a great opinion piece out.

Key point:

Russia can lose this war, and should, for the sake of Russians themselves. A defeated Russia means not only the end of senseless losses of young life in Ukraine. It is also Russia’s one chance to become a post-imperial country, one where reform is possible, one where Russians themselves might be protected by law and able to cast meaningful votes.
        And, for the appeasers, a reminder of what's at stake:

The questions are: who will win, and with what consequences?

If Russia wins, the consequences are horrifying: a risk of a larger war in Europe, more likelihood of a Chinese adventure in the Pacific, the weakening of international legal order generally, the likely spread of nuclear weapons, the loss of faith in democracy.
        Good food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I won't even debate turkey burgers, which are clearly the product of a very sick mind.
          Turkey is weirdly dense.

Lamb can be overly strong. I'd take lamb burgers over beef sausages though.

I think the optimum animal for the various items was figured out a long time ago.

Comment

Yay. Lovely with feta and some pesto. Would prefer them to beef burgers.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Yay. Lovely with feta and some pesto. Would prefer them to beef burgers.
              Disturbing.

A new low.

Comment

Disturbing.

A new low.
                I find it difficult to take lectures from someone who brings canned goose (and snails?) back from France

Comment

I find it difficult to take lectures from someone who brings canned goose (and snails?) back from France
                  Canned duck you peasant

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                    Is that based on BMI or BF?
                    chart deleted for being full of crap
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yay > beefburger IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                        There is going to be lots of 'I told you so' if this turns out to be true.

Cancer 'almost certainty' from long-term vaping - expert (rte.ie)
                        I told you so.

Comment

Canned duck you peasant
                          Eider one is gross .

Comment

CL semis and quarters are always the best soccer matches of the year imo

Comment

Something feels a bit off about lamb burgers with the texture.
                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I see the students in Trinity have won. And indeed inspired a nation as apparently Ireland is to join Spain as being the first EU countries to recognise Palestine as an independent country.

Comment

Warms my heart to see students return to political protest as was their wont back in my day.
                                  Admittedly that day was way way way back.

Always worried me that recent generations were too busy studying for good grades
                                  to rail against the establishment.

Once went on a rally simply because
                                  Rachel McGrath from two rows down
                                  in Lecture theatre 2 was attending.
                                  So maybe my point about activism is flawed.

Comment

I see the students in Trinity have won. And indeed inspired a nation as apparently Ireland is to join Spain as being the first EU countries to recognise Palestine as an independent country.
                                    Might surprise you to hear this, but I think this is a good move (and is clearly Harris's 'big international thing' before the next election).

The two state solution is the only route forward. Of course, neither leadership in either of the two states is currently signed up to that, so a fair bit of regime change is needed before anything meaningful could actually happen. Including in Tehran.
                                    Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 09-05-24, 08:01.

Comment

Might have said it before but it's a bit sad that all the other unis just sat by, and maybe indicative of the general ability of trinner students to get off their arses and do something.

Disappointing that USI just sat by, really, as well as all the other campus.

Comment

Might have said it before but it's a bit sad that all the other unis just sat by, and maybe indicative of the general ability of trinner students to get off their arses and do something.

Disappointing that USI just sat by, really, as well as all the other campus.
                                        I mean, do they have to have an opinion on everything? I'd rather see them campaigning on climate change than anything else (as that's the thing that will impact them most).

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Yay > beefburger IMO
                                          I expected better from a man of your mature wisdom.

Comment

This had nothing to do with the protest at Trinity. It was in the works for months.

Comment

This had nothing to do with the protest at Trinity. It was in the works for months.
                                              Totally. Harris definitely accelerated it though and was the main mover in building a mini-coalition within the EU. Credit where credit is due and all that...

Comment

Totally. Harris definitely accelerated it though and was the main mover in building a mini-coalition within the EU. Credit where credit is due and all that...
                                                They'll believe they did it though.

Comment

I mean, do they have to have an opinion on everything? I'd rather see them campaigning on climate change than anything else (as that's the thing that will impact them most).
                                                  I suspect they don't have an actioned opinion on anything.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                    Always worried me that recent generations were too busy studying for good grades
                                                    to rail against the establishment.
                                                    This is definitely not what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                      Once went on a rally simply because
                                                      Rachel McGrath from two rows down
                                                      in Lecture theatre 2 was attending.
                                                      So maybe my point about activism is flawed.
                                                      I'd just like to say to anyone who didn't google Rachel McGrath and browse through hundreds of images trying to figure out which of them it might be and who didn't come away slightly disappointed... Get A Life!

Comment

Lamb burgers are the professional burger eaters burger.

Comment

Student action is probably both invariably misguided and yet a great thing to have in society.

In maybe the same way that a good government is shaped by good opposition (something we've definitely seen with the rise of SF in Ireland, which has shaken off a lot of government lethargy), student idealism makes us think a bit about our own choices and defaults. Often just to reaffirm our own choices and defaults, but thats okay also.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
                                                            Lamb burgers are the professional burger eaters burger.
                                                            Jesus. It's like a cult in here.

My mission to civilise has clearly failed.

Comment

Student action is probably both invariably misguided and yet a great thing to have in society.

In maybe the same way that a good government is shaped by good opposition (something we've definitely seen with the rise of SF in Ireland, which has shaken off a lot of government lethargy), student idealism makes us think a bit about our own choices and defaults. Often just to reaffirm our own choices and defaults, but thats okay also.
                                                              Also; laughing at students makes us middle-aged people feel better about ourselves, which is always fun.

Comment

I see Steve Albini has passed away. He was an avid poker player on top of everything, he even won a WSOP bracelet in Horse a couple of years ago. Heart attack at only 61. RIP

Edit - This letter that he wrote to a young band named Nirvana is incredible!

Taken from this 2+2 thread remembering him.

cache.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Ftwoplustwo-actually-definitely-helping-stud%2Fuserimages%2F0NHPjft.jpg
                                                                Last edited by Opr; 09-05-24, 13:39.

Comment

My general feeling towards protesting students (and most students in general) is that they are clowns who have no real world experience yet and should just get the head down, get their qualification and get out into the real world not some idealistic one.

Mostly based on the fact that i was very much a clown in college (without the protesting).

Comment

I see that Marjorie Taylor Greene wingnut made another attempt to depose the Speaker last night and got roundly spanked for her troubles.

Maybe a sign that people are sick of the craziness?

Comment

Lamb burger with tzatziki and feta etx. Would take it over a beef burger. Don't ruin it with brioche
                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

I had a burger in Croatia (in fact all burgers are HUGE). It was like a cavity block. There were two hash brown looking yokes with melted cheese inside, a slab of a patty, and a few green things that I ate as they were green, no idea what they were. It was the best Burger I’ve ever eaten. I had to grab a wall after walking a few strides afterward. I felt like a Komodo Dragon after eating a full size goat.
                                                                        The Burger would have instantly rehabilitated Michael Doughla’s Character in Fallen Down. EPIC . I’d say if I lived in Croatia I would have died in the 90s. Adding food to that decade would have finished me off. As it stands I’ve a half stone to get rid off from that trip. Burgers me arse. (also nom nom)

Comment

This is kingkane of politics.ie fame - seems to think Daly is dead. Just looking at the odds here: https://www.boylesports.com/sports/politics and theres shockingly two Independent Ireland candidates in with a shot. I'm presuming they are a racist group, given Boylan is a candidate. Sinn Fein looking like they are going to wallop home everywhere, showing that all politics is shite as they are largely anti-EU yet their voters will be largely pro-EU.

Comment

I'm not anti lamb burgers but would prefer beef. That said, I absolutely love lamb koftas and one could argue that a kofta is just a smaller shaped burger

Venison burgers are the nut burger.

Comment

I'm firmly on team beef burger.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I'm not anti lamb burgers but would prefer beef. That said, I absolutely love lamb koftas and one could argue that a kofta is just a smaller shaped burger
                                                                                You could argue that, but you would be wrong.

Venison burgers are the nut burger.
                                                                                Don't think I've ever had one. Eaten plenty of venison but never a burger. Where could I procure such a thing?

Comment

Advice needed on a new phone please.

I've had a Samsung Galaxy S7 for about 8 years. Stop judging me - Some people don't like change

It has worked perfectly well but the battery is now starting to get fucked plus I won't be able to use Google wallet soon as the operating system is too old.

I'm not a fan of Apple and like the look/feel/functionality of my current phone.

Other than phone calls and What's Apps, I do use quite a lot of apps - I'm not a complete luddite!

Any suggestions / recommendations?

The current phone is black with a black cover if that helps...

Comment

Must resist venison burger two dear joke, must resist.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                      Must resist venison burger two dear joke, must resist.
                                                                                      You would only ever eat them on a stag party imo

Comment

Doh

Comment

You could argue that, but you would be wrong.

Don't think I've ever had one. Eaten plenty of venison but never a burger. Where could I procure such a thing?

I get mine from Lawlor's butcher in Rathmines which might be a bit of a trek for you. I'm sure I could do a Strewl-esque meat delivery to you at some point!

Comment

I'm sure you could buck that trend.

Comment

I've had a Samsung Galaxy S7 for about 8 years. Stop judging me - Some people don't like change

It has worked perfectly well but the battery is now starting to get fucked plus I won't be able to use Google wallet soon as the operating system is too old.

I'm not a fan of Apple and like the look/feel/functionality of my current phone.

Other than phone calls and What's Apps, I do use quite a lot of apps - I'm not a complete luddite!

Google Pixel tends to be best bang for buck. Anything from a 6 to an 8(a) will do the job.

Comment

Finally got around to making a Will today, just the one child so easy peasy.

What came across as strange though, the lady , mid 30's, commented on the pronunciation of my name and its provenance, tell her my father was Danish but im Limerick born and bred,kid !

Yeah she goes, you dont look foreign...looks to my wife and says..does he ?

Im still shaking my head.

This too shall pass.

Comment

May as well go for the newest Samsung if someone else is paying for it. But yeah Google Pixel apart from that. Got an Honour phone recently and jesus its brutal. Didn't realise things could go wrong with a modern phone, but Honour have managed to find all possible ways (volume waaaaaay too low, impossible to dismiss certain warnings that i've decided are unimportant, not correctly connecting to car USB).

Comment

So, my good friend Estelle finally got her novel published. Heading into the launch thingy in Hodges Figgis later. Not really recommending it to IPBers, though the chaps who normally read >50 books a year might find it a few hours diversion at some stage. It's been in shops for more since last week, and the Kindle version was released today (at about half the price of the book). https://www.lilliputpress.ie/product...dy-debut-novel https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravelling-Estelle-Birdy-ebook/dp/B0D3NH4F4B/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&dib_tag=se&dib =eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.wwNn9MEKh6MyM7u-HF2SaA.i127pFyA_NKkelOC0orCz6xosBjmH4kPwRT0VZchpp4 &qid=1715263660&sr=8-1
                                                                                                    Last edited by ComradeCollie; 09-05-24, 14:17.
                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                      Finally got around to making a Will today, just the one child so easy peasy.

What came across as strange though, the lady , mid 30's, commented on the pronunciation of my name and its provenance, tell her my father was Danish but im Limerick born and bred,kid !

Yeah she goes, you dont look foreign...looks to my wife and says..does he ?

Im still shaking my head.
                                                                                                      Jesus Ole, learn how to take a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Doh
                                                                                                        Ray, a drop of golden sun.

EPIC weather

Comment

I recently bought a Nothing 2a, from makers of One Plus. V happy with it. Have a look into them, if someone else is paying the Nothing 3 is coming out soon and will be pretty high spec.
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

This is kingkane of politics.ie fame - seems to think Daly is dead. Just looking at the odds here: https://www.boylesports.com/sports/politics and theres shockingly two Independent Ireland candidates in with a shot. I'm presuming they are a racist group, given Boylan is a candidate. Sinn Fein looking like they are going to wallop home everywhere, showing that all politics is shite as they are largely anti-EU yet their voters will be largely pro-EU.

SF are also managing to be both pro and anti open borders at the moment. Which is quite the impressive feat.

Comment

Royston Brady.

Remember him. Randomly stumbled onto him while googling something last night.
                                                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                Royston Brady.

Remember him. Randomly stumbled onto him while googling something last night.
                                                                                                                Think i told this here beofre but back when he was Lord Mayor, alledgedly i looked a bit like him. His wife and mine had the same name too. Was queueing one Sat night to get into a late bar and a bouncer comes scurrying down the queue and ushers us all up and in - wouldnt take money off us at till either to pay in. Happened a couple nore times and we were all wondering wtf. Then one of my mates overheard the bouncer pointing me out as the Lord Mayor to a few people. Suffice to say that was the end of the freebees.

Comment

What's Harcourt Street like these days? Is the Black Door still on the go? I haven't been down that way in years

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I'd just like to say to anyone who didn't google Rachel McGrath and browse through hundreds of images trying to figure out which of them it might be and who didn't come away slightly disappointed... Get A Life!
                                                                                                                    Rachel McGrath says hi & would like to point out
                                                                                                                    that DBB was not disappointed.

Comment

Just following from Ole, rather than any existential dread, is the standard will for families these days that your half of the house goes to the wife while she is still alive and then goes to the kids? My vague understanding is that if you die intestate then 25% of your property goes to each kid (or something like that) so the house might be sold out from under the wife.

Comment

SF are also managing to be both pro and anti open borders at the moment. Which is quite the impressive feat.
                                                                                                                        Can't understand how public wanker Boylan is slotted in for the third seat there... I'd make Daly a lay at evens and unless all the racists can get onto the same page, I can't see how he finishes in front of her

One SF and one FG locked in, then you have and two to fight out between between Andrews FF Cuffe, Daly , The Wanker Boylan, SF no2, O'Riordan and Smith
                                                                                                                        One of Cuffe or Andrews should get in and then the rest are looking for votes that are breaking all over the place!

​The most elementary vote management should see SF carry a second seat here, if they fail they may forget about running most of their second strings in the GE.

If SF feck up there are going to be so many incoherent anti immigrant votes it's impossible to predict how they will break, on the left Daly's big vote should collapse (unless, maybe she trades exclusively on her pro Hamas line and pretends she never took Vlad's shilling). Daly's floating vote is a gobshite that I suppose could transfer well to Wanker Boylan but if it was to collapse coherently, and go out at the rigThe Shinner No2 goes out at the right time I could see Brid Smith stumbling into the 4th seat. You'd probably want bigger than the 5/1 Boyles are offering but it's the closest thing to a bet in that market IMO.

Comment

Was scratching my head trying to figure out why you were calling Lynn Boylan a wanker for a minute.
                                                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X