This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

What was the specific warning the Americans gave? The only one I read was for US citizens to stay away from crowds and suchlike. Surely they should avoid being in Russia at all.
    Story here

The 7 March warning from the US to its own citizens was unusually specific. It talked of reports that "extremists" had "imminent plans to target large gatherings in Moscow" and specifically mentioned concerts
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Etto a return to form for dining out after the letdown that was Kickys. Very solid.

Also (I think) a first for me in post-dinner drinks in the Westbury, what a great space. Very elegant although my purloining of fancy coasters led to much eye rolling by my companion in life.
      Lovely. We've been talking about doing something during Easter week, I'm on mid term, Mrs booked the week off and seeing this just made the decision on where to go. Lunch booked in Etto and cocktails after for a boozy lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Lovely. We've been talking about doing something during Easter week, I'm on mid term, Mrs booked the week off and seeing this just made the decision on where to go. Lunch booked in Etto and cocktails after for a boozy lunch.
        Sounds ideal for recuperation from the medium sized little shits.

Comment

Sounds ideal for recuperation from the medium sized little shits.
          Yeah, that. And working the Irish Open this year for the full 8 days. Will be intense so nice to have something booked for the week after before getting back to school.

Only 3 weeks of school left for me after Easter that fairly flew in.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
            Only 3 weeks of school left for me after Easter that fairly flew in.
            Will you be staying in the current school or do you move on?

Comment

What a crazy life. He has verification details in the twitter thread, he is this guy.

Comment

Will you be staying in the current school or do you move on?
                I must do my 2nd placement in a different school, I've had that organised since last September so I'm ready to go in September until Christmas.

I've already asked current school if I can come back next January and then when im qualified to do subbing until I get a job and they've said yes thankfully so it's all coming together nicely.

Have absolutely loved my tike there tbh and will actually miss the little shits when I leave. Its a good place, good staff, good kids. Been very positive.

Suppose I'll see you the week we are back at the PTM

Comment

Have the big security review on Tuesday to tie down the pilot contract for the business. It has been approved subject to that security review. Jesus fucking christ on a bike, the levels of security that you can get to has thrown us all for a bit of a curve. like just the sheer number of ways that someone can try to rob your data.
                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Haha, brilliant...

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

A lot of stuff points towards the autistic spectrum with him.
                      His brother has autism actually.
                      He started off in politics I think having something to do with raising awareness of autism.
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

His brother has autism actually.
                        He started off in politics I think having something to do with raising awareness of autism.
                        His brother is also the head of the autism charity, AsIAm. Sounds the exact same too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                          Have the big security review on Tuesday to tie down the pilot contract for the business. It has been approved subject to that security review. Jesus fucking christ on a bike, the levels of security that you can get to has thrown us all for a bit of a curve. like just the sheer number of ways that someone can try to rob your data.
                          Are you doing this under your own steam or under the auspices of DCU?

Comment

the russians had also arrested quite a few dissident muslims in recent weeks - something that was in the news stories before this event - so the idea that they ignored the warning is clearly wrong. the problem, like Baltacan and numerous other events before it shows, is that terrorism is notoriously hard to prevent.
                            When were those arrests? If they know it was only recently.
                            whatsvthe alternative? They let it happen in order to rollout the “Ukraine helped them/They were fleeing to Ukraine” (which tbf was a story ready to go instantly, as it was happening). They couldn’t be that mad.
                            More likely a case of too many possibilities, intel too vague.

Comment

anyone flown to the US with Jetblue? Good/bad experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

whatsvthe alternative? They let it happen in order to rollout the “Ukraine helped them/They were fleeing to Ukraine” (which tbf was a story ready to go instantly, as it was happening). They couldn’t be that mad.
                                But the Americans gave them very specific intel i.e.
                                • what - that ISIS were planning a large-scale attack in Moscow
                                • when - imminently, in mid-March
                                • where - at a concert venue

The Russians chose, deliberately, to ignore this.

He (Putin) said the warnings "resemble outright blackmail and the intention to intimidate and destabilise our society".
                                Shades of Stalin ignoring the intel about Operation Barbarossa as a 'provocation'!

Comment

I have no idea what happened, but would not be the tiniest bit surprised to learn that Putin was probably glad about something like this happening (assuming he had no part in it himself) to use as propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I have no idea what happened, but would not be the tiniest bit surprised to learn that Putin was probably glad about something like this happening (assuming he had no part in it himself) to use as propaganda.
                                    Well, it's not like he doesn't have form in this regard....

Comment

But the Americans gave them very specific intel i.e.
                                      • what - that ISIS were planning a large-scale attack in Moscow
                                      • when - imminently, in mid-March
                                      • where - at a concert venue

The Russians chose, deliberately, to ignore this.

Shades of Stalin ignoring the intel about Operation Barbarossa as a 'provocation'!
                                      They may have totally ignored it, even welcomed it as I outlined above. Anything is possible.
                                      But Putin staying semi publicly that they dismissed the warnings, doesn’t actually mean they dismissed the warnings. It’s just means they weren’t going to acknowledge it. Who knows what the FSB Spec Op units aren’t exactly known for publishing updates on what they’re up to. Clearly they didn’t give it full attention, with the special operation on going.

The US advice was that an attack was imminent on 7th March. The attack was 15 days later, probably a dozen concerts across Moscow in that time. Cancelling them all is a bit too public. Obviously they could increase presence of armed security in Moscow. But without a lead in the perpetrators, they are pretty much waiting for it to happen.
                                      Last edited by Mellor; 25-03-24, 12:46.

Comment

Also, all four suspects have appeared in court. Pleading guilty. A future date set, but surprised it they last that long. All 4 were in bits. One was in a wheel and hanging on (sans an eye).
                                        It’ll be if the black dolphin fit all. Bye to the light of day

Comment

They may have totally ignored it, even welcomed it as I outlined above. Anything is possible.
                                          But Putin staying semi publicly that they dismissed the warnings, doesn’t actually mean they dismissed the warnings. It’s just means they weren’t going to acknowledge it. Who knows what the FSB Spec Op units aren’t exactly known for publishing updates on what they’re up to. Clearly they didn’t give it full attention, with the special operation on going.

The US advice was that an attack was imminent on 7th March. The attack was 15 days later, probably a dozen concerts across Moscow in that time. Cancelling them all is a bit too public. Obviously they could increase presence of armed security in Moscow. But without a lead in the perpetrators, they are pretty much waiting for it to happen.
                                          It is a dictatorship with incredibly deep surveillance and control of the population...they have the means, they just chose not to. Hopefully the Russian population recognise just how much Putin values their existence.

Comment

Could be a bad day for Trump if he can't post the $550m collateral he's supposed to put up against the NT judgements against him...they might start moving to seize his assets like Trump Tower.

Comment

Could be a bad day for Trump if he can't post the $550m collateral he's supposed to put up against the NT judgements against him...they might start moving to seize his assets like Trump Tower.
                                              And yet he's still......

For Putin, if the Russians were more like our apparent surrender monkey boys in France, he'd be gone by now. We need a Jackal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                anyone flown to the US with Jetblue? Good/bad experience?
                                                An American i was teaching was saying they are a way better airline than the usual competitors.

Comment

Are you doing this under your own steam or under the auspices of DCU?
                                                  Just me. Think the university has some standard claim to a small bit of it (5% afaik). But generally its encouraged, the idea of research-to-enterprise.

Comment

Just me. Think the university has some standard claim to a small bit of it (5% afaik). But generally its encouraged, the idea of research-to-enterprise.
                                                    was wondering as the brother has been involved in spinning up lots of medical patents (devices usually) but the university pretty much owns everything

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

And yet he's still......

For Putin, if the Russians were more like our apparent surrender monkey boys in France, he'd be gone by now. We need a Jackal.
                                                      On the plus side, sounds like the Stormy Daniels hush money hearing in NYC today is going perfectly (i.e. terribly for Trump as his lawyers are getting roasted by the judge for their attempts at delaying the trial).

Comment

Appeals Court downsized this to $175m (he still might end up having to pay the full amount, this is just collateral) so sadly unlikely to see the bailiffs seizing his golden toilet.

Comment

was wondering as the brother has been involved in spinning up lots of medical patents (devices usually) but the university pretty much owns everything
                                                          I think that the 'proper sciences' side of universities might have different rules. As in, that would be a product developed on the university or SFIs buck, so they would pre-own it. But as Zuut will surely note - its a bit silly the way they do it as thats then a disincentive to innovation.

On another interesting general note - there's new EU rules in place, implemented in Ireland, that make it illegal for companies to prevent people working on sidehustles in their evenings, or indeed for a company blanket-claiming ownership of any ideas developed by their employees. Think its a standard part of a lot of contracts that you can't work on other things without permission, but these clauses are no longer valid unless they have been reissued along the much more permissive lines of the law. The purpose of the changes is to encourage innovation, as its mainly people in a job who would develop an entrepreneurial idea, but they were being discouraged by contractual clauses.

Comment

On the plus side, sounds like the Stormy Daniels hush money hearing in NYC today is going perfectly (i.e. terribly for Trump as his lawyers are getting roasted by the judge for their attempts at delaying the trial).
                                                            All Trump arguments rejected and the case goes to trial on 15-April. Which means Trump will likely be sitting in a NY courtroom for several weeks from that date as a criminal defendant.

Comment

Some filmmakers, directors and artists have gotten access to Sora for testing and have been sharing creations on twitter. This technology is going to completely democratise film making. Anyone with an idea should at least now be able to transfer it to a concept to look for funding and as the technology gets better even create full features with it.

Examples and feedback - Sora: First Impressions (openai.com)

Interesting article on a recent study here - Is AI More Creative Than Humans? | Psychology Today
                                                              Last edited by Opr; 25-03-24, 18:41.

Comment

I think that the 'proper sciences' side of universities might have different rules. As in, that would be a product developed on the university or SFIs buck, so they would pre-own it. But as Zuut will surely note - its a bit silly the way they do it as thats then a disincentive to innovation.
                                                                Not expecting to ever do anything innovative so no idea how it all works. I just attend the training sessions about all the MBA shite that they think is relevant for us to know, all the while reflecting on my amazement that mass didn't end up being the most crushingly boring thing I ever had to sit through in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                  Some filmmakers, directors and artists have gotten access to Sora for testing and have been sharing creations on twitter. This technology is going to completely democratise film making. Anyone with an idea should at least now be able to transfer it to a concept to look for funding and as the technology gets better even create full features with it.

Examples and feedback - Sora: First Impressions (openai.com)

Interesting article on a recent study here - Is AI More Creative Than Humans? | Psychology Today
                                                                  Thanks I’ve been having trouble sleeping - woeful stuff
                                                                  hadnt considered this aspect of the AI apocalypse - artists being able to create inhibited by the sensible money men cutting out the shite
                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Not expecting to ever do anything innovative so no idea how it all works. I just attend the training sessions about all the MBA shite that they think is relevant for us to know, all the while reflecting on my amazement that mass didn't end up being the most crushingly boring thing I ever had to sit through in my life.
                                                                    ha. They are such fuckers. Thats the Challenge Fund thing you won? The Pres definitely seems to think you are innovating based on his emails.

Comment

Putin, in all his craziness, has managed to find the only time in history that the nazi's, jews and muslims teamed up together and it was to attack Russia.

If you think about it, he's helping people find common ground. This has to be a good thing.
                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

The tractors have stormed London. Top reddit thread comment gave me a good laugh.

What do they want, leave the EU even harder?
                                                                        Maybe they want UK to leave Europe completely? Maybe they can get some powerful boats to drag the island of Great Britain all the way to the North American continent?

Comment

ha. They are such fuckers. Thats the Challenge Fund thing you won? The Pres definitely seems to think you are innovating based on his emails.
                                                                          That whole scheme should be the subject of a public inquiry....€65 million incinerated.

Comment

It is a dictatorship with incredibly deep surveillance and control of the population...they have the means, they just chose not to. Hopefully the Russian population recognise just how much Putin values their existence.
                                                                            Guess we’ll have to wait and see what there movements were prior. If they were long term residents, and known ISIS incels. Then you’d expect the FSB alphas to know all about them.
                                                                            I was assuming that came over the border via Kazakhstan or similar in the days prior. And we’re relatively off radar.

Comment

The tractors have stormed London. Top reddit thread comment gave me a good laugh.

Jim Ferguson , any relation to Massey ?

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Thanks I’ve been having trouble sleeping - woeful stuff
                                                                                hadnt considered this aspect of the AI apocalypse - artists being able to create inhibited by the sensible money men cutting out the shite
                                                                                Screen 1 - Green Goblin 237
                                                                                Screen 2 - Captain USA 44
                                                                                Screen 3 - Fast and Furious 9
                                                                                Screen 4 - Green Goblin, the early years
                                                                                It does look though like you might have had some valid concerns around poor old Andrew Huberman - link

tl;dr: Huberman is accused of living a double life by multiple ex-girlfriends. They allege he maintained a public image of healthy living and self-control while privately deceiving and manipulating them for years, claiming they were in exclusive relationships while dating several women simultaneously.

The article also raises some concerns about Huberman's podcast, suggesting he sometimes overstates the certainty of scientific findings, discusses topics outside his expertise, and profits from questionable health supplements. However, the alleged deceptions in his personal life, which the women documented extensively after discovering each other, are the focus of the piece.

The accusations paint a picture of a man with a carefully crafted public persona that is distinctly at odds with his private behavior. In the aftermath, his accusers have formed a support group to process their experiences and help other women he may have deceived.

Last edited by Opr; 25-03-24, 23:07.

Comment

Please tell me Andrew has written a book, as thats a man who knows whats what

Comment

You know , ya dont hear people farting on about banana bread so much anymore, what happened there .

Comment

Guess we’ll have to wait and see what there movements were prior. If they were long term residents, and known ISIS incels. Then you’d expect the FSB alphas to know all about them.
                                                                                      I was assuming that came over the border via Kazakhstan or similar in the days prior. And we’re relatively off radar.
                                                                                      Isn't that, eh, something else? But maybe it would explain a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                        Putin, in all his craziness, has managed to find the only time in history that the nazi's, jews and muslims teamed up together and it was to attack Russia.

If you think about it, he's helping people find common ground. This has to be a good thing.
                                                                                        The Russians are the Nazis.

Comment

New pod is dropping today.

image.png

Comment

Screen 1 - Green Goblin 237
                                                                                            Screen 2 - Captain USA 44
                                                                                            Screen 3 - Fast and Furious 9
                                                                                            Screen 4 - Green Goblin, the early years
                                                                                            It does look though like you might have had some valid concerns around poor old Andrew Huberman - link

His fan base will think he’s a legend.

Anyone in the wellness field should be considered suspect- particularly lads like this making overblown claims for the shitty supplements he hawks on his show.

nobody needs to give these guys money - sleep well, avoid alcohol, get in cold water. People have known this stuff for thousands of years. It’s not complicated
                                                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Only listened to one episode and something felt off about the cast iron certainty with which he made every point. Not very becoming of a scientist. Think he's riding high on peoples' need for a quick fix and not wanting to have to think through things themselves.

Comment

Don't call it a comeback

Trump’s Net Worth Hits $6.5 Billion, Making Him One of World’s 500 Richest People

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

His fan base will think he’s a legend.

Anyone in the wellness field should be considered suspect- particularly lads like this making overblown claims for the shitty supplements he hawks on his show.

nobody needs to give these guys money - sleep well, avoid alcohol, get in cold water. People have known this stuff for thousands of years. It’s not complicated
                                                                                                  I don't give a shit about his personal life but it does point to a pattern of deception that calls everything he says into questions. The main one is around the use of steroids. Pretty much every grifter that exists in the supplement/fitness space claims to be natural and is pumping themselves full of chemicals while selling these completely unrealistic expectations. The answer to how a 48 year old man has the energy for 5 relationships is going to be testosterone. I am fairly sure he sells the idea of only using natural means to raise it which seems very doubtful at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                    Don't call it a comeback

Trump’s Net Worth Hits $6.5 Billion, Making Him One of World’s 500 Richest People

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...richest-people
                                                                                                    Lol.

Even a greenhorn like myself can see the holes in that. Surprised you havent qualified this with you being an expert on trading. Oh wait.. it DJT .

Comment

Got through the app security check for our pilot this morning, bit nerve-wracking but it turned out we had massively overprepared. Key now is how to be so impressive over the three month trial to make the eventual tender a slamdunk and to have this spreading through all the other departments. Read a good article on how to get the first customer over the line: https://paulgraham.com/ds.html - essentially its 'do things that don't scale' - make the first customer feel like the luckiest person in the world, that absolutely everything they want is implemented.
                                                                                                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 26-03-24, 10:57.

Comment

Got through the app security check for our pilot this morning, bit nerve-wracking but it turned out we had massively overprepared. Key now is how to be so impressive over the three month trial to make the eventual tender a slamdunk and to have this spreading through all the other departments. Read a good article on how to get the first customer over the line: https://paulgraham.com/ds.html - essentially its 'do things that don't scale' - make the first customer feel like the luckiest person in the world, that absolutely everything they want is implemented.
                                                                                                        Then the second customer fucks you because you've built something tailor made to the requirements of the first.

Comment

Then the second customer fucks you because you've built something tailor made to the requirements of the first.
                                                                                                          I think the Y Combinator point is that you are far more likely to build features that everyone loves with the all-in approach. But I have zero depth of knowledge to know if this one single blogpost is the right strategy to pin an entire company strategy on.

Comment

Was told to back State Actor ew in Fundalk at 6:30.

Comment

I think the Y Combinator point is that you are far more likely to build features that everyone loves with the all-in approach. But I have zero depth of knowledge to know if this one single blogpost is the right strategy to pin an entire company strategy on.
                                                                                                              Only one way to find out.

You can always fire yourself as needed.

Comment

Everything PG writes is insightful. Things that don't scale isn't a reference to building something specific, and inflexible. Its a reference to do whatever it takes to get people using your product. From there, automating and optimizing is much easier.

I can tell you of 2 tech unicorns I have personally worked in where they built for a specific customer and did the manual things needed to make it work for others.

Building for everyone means building for no one.
                                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This P. Diddy stuff is wild. The department of homeland security raided his houses last night and apparently he jetted off to somewhere in the Caribbean that the US doesn't have an extradition treaty with. They are calling him Epstein of the rap industry.

Rolling Stone - A Brief Look at Diddy’s History of Controversies and Allegations

​tl;dr on the lawsuit filed against him.

Just read the entire filing.

Summary:
                                                                                                                  • Jones claims Diddy likes to sexually assault everyone, including underage girls and Rodney Jones (male)
                                                                                                                  • Jones claims Diddy bragged about shooting someone in a club in 1999 and getting away with it. J-Lo snuck the gun into the club and gave it to him when he got in an argument with someone. He got rapper Shyne to take the fall for it.
                                                                                                                  • Jones claims Diddy threatened to kill his mom if he didn't participate in sex acts with him
                                                                                                                  • Jones claims Diddy wanted to pass him off to Cuba Gooding Jr. on his yacht to perform sex acts
                                                                                                                  • Jones claims Diddy would spike all of the drinks of women at his parties and had separate bottles that weren't spiked for him and his crew
                                                                                                                  • Jones believes Diddy has hidden cameras in every room in his house and has tons of footage of famous celebrities, athletes, and high up figures doing things they shouldn't have been doing and that because of this he's above the law
                                                                                                                  • Jones claims Diddy's head of security is able to fix "problems" because he has deep connections in the Miami and California PD. Because of this he's able to get away with the above allegations
                                                                                                                  • Jones claims Diddy shot someone in his recording studio and then instructed everyone at the studio to say it was a drive by and he was shot outside (which they agreed to). His head of security made some calls and even though all of the blood was inside and none was outside, no arrests were made, and they put out a fake story that he was shot in a drive-by
                                                                                                                  • Jones claims Diddy's chief of staff would instruct workers for Diddy to carry around bags with all of his favorite drugs and that anytime Diddy wanted his drug of choice, whoever was closest had to have it handy. This included his butler, maid, and others
                                                                                                                  • Jones claims Diddy would hire sex workers, often underage, drug them, and force them to perform sex acts with him and others

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                                    Was told to back State Actor ew in Fundalk at 6:30.
                                                                                                                    Was a good ew shot to nothing, especially at the early prices. Ran well.

Comment

This P. Diddy stuff is wild. The department of homeland security raided his houses last night and apparently he jetted off to somewhere in the Caribbean that the US doesn't have an extradition treaty with. They are calling him Epstein of the rap industry.

Rolling Stone - A Brief Look at Diddy’s History of Controversies and Allegations

​tl;dr on the lawsuit filed against him.
                                                                                                                      Who would have thought Diddy and Vince McMahon would turn out to be such scum

Comment

Anyone with an interest or want any knowledge in stock based compensation should listen to the BGsquared podcast this week. They've an incredible discussion on it. They go from the very basics to some pretty detailed and intricate stuff.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1746758&d=1711480272&type=thumb Too Soon.
                                                                                                                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X