• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like the Ricky Gervais vodka ads

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Watching the recording now, he's up against a serious player in Isabelle who is a well known quizzer and former mastermind champ, unlucky draw because its her last day on.
      Fucked by that simple numbers round. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Fucked by that simple numbers round. Ouch.
        I turned it on to see what he looked like . The numbers game baffled me. To get 471 there was a glaringly simple solution. The woman didnt get it and MD got it in a more complicated manner . I had to rewind and go huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

McDowell letting himself down badly trotting out wholly disingenuous arguments that he absolutely knows are bullcrap.
          I think he's been wonderful. Ivana Bacik sounding like she's running for Ents officer in a SU debate.

Comment

Seriously unlucky for mdoug on Countdown. He was holding his own on the letters for most of it and was destroying her on the numbers. She completely luckboxed the last numbers round to keep herself in the game.

To rack up 77 points against such a champion is an impressive feat.

ULGG

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

While we're on the subject of Rathmines. El Grito opened a second place. For a few months it was packed out the door non-stop. Not so busy now.

Is there any particular stand out dishes? Maybe we didn't go for the best choices, I was once and didn't feel any urge to ever go back.
              Tacos Lupillo in inchicore is looking worth the trip.

El grito is a good all round Mexican, but there's better tacos to be found, I don't care what HJ or the Mexicans say
              airport, lol

Comment

Saw Poor Things tonight. Jesus. It's a bit of something. Mad as a hatter and yet weirdly amazing and beautiful.
                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you can buy as much Mexican tacos and crystal meth as your heart desires. Still time for entries (cough, cough sp et al)

Vamonos!
                  Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 07-03-24, 08:51.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I find the proliferation of air pods rather disturbing. Often times I'll look around on a street corner and I'm the only person without them.

It's the audio version of AR.

People have started wearing them in the office, at their desk, walking around, in the bathroom, while collecting and getting their lunch in the office. It's all quite isolating and unnatural.

People would rather shock themselves, rather than have an independent thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      Saw Poor Things tonight. Jesus. It's a bit of something. Mad as a hatter and yet weirdly amazing and beautiful.
                      I feel like I should have a list of 'movies to watch', if I did have such a thing I think it would currently be:
                      1. Poor Things
                      2. 20 Days in Mariupol
                      3. Maestro
                      4. American Fiction
                      5. Ferrari
                      6. Anatomy of a Fall
                      7. The Zone of Interest
                      8. Past Lives
                      9. May December

Comment

Anatomy of a Fall seems like a slamdunk based on the usual test of 'did it stay in the cinema long after its regular run' - think they kept a screening of it for a few months after the initial showing.

Saw a trailer for a new documentary of Stephen Collins vs Eubank in Milltown that actually looked slightly fascinating despite itself. Like an extended version of Reeling in the Years.

Comment

Speaking of boxing, I saw Michael Carruth earlier - took me an hour of racking my brain to figure out who he was though

Comment

New book out today which might interest a few here, called The Trading Game, by Gary Stevenson.

Extract from it here - Take it from a former banker: the budget is for ordinary people. The mega-rich look on and laugh | Gary Stevenson | The Guardian

Good interview with him below.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                              Speaking of boxing, I saw Michael Carruth earlier - took me an hour of racking my brain to figure out who he was though
                              How did you know it was him though, he is one of identical triplets. I remember on the Drimnagh road when there was a Ladbrokes there. I saw him at the betting counter. Of course I did the whole, Hey Champ, well done on the gold medal (was recent at the time). Thanks but that was the brother . The 3 of them are the image of each other.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Didnt know that, who knows so (he was wearing a boxing club top though)

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                  L
                                  NZ took 40+ .
                                  This is Ireland , a minority sport with very few playing compared to the countries where the sport is played by millions. . It’s quite an achievement, to me even greater than Indias.
                                  It was against Afghanistan. Who have test status as long as we do. We actually debuted first. They’ve played 5 Test/ODI matches this year, and lost them all.
                                  Ireland and Afghanistan are the bottom two ranked teams. Somebody had to win.

Don’t get me wrong, the first win is an achievement. I just can’t compare a win against the lowest ranked test team, with beating the world number 1 (or maybe 2)

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                    Somebody had to win.
                                    Nope. You can play a test for a full 5 days and have no winner.

Comment

It was against Afghanistan. Who have test status as long as we do. We actually debuted first. They’ve played 5 Test/ODI matches this year, and lost them all.
                                      Ireland and Afghanistan are the bottom two ranked teams. Somebody had to win.

Don’t get me wrong, the first win is an achievement. I just can’t compare a win against the lowest ranked test team, with beating the world number 1 (or maybe 2)
                                      Dear Mellor , this reply has exceeded the requisite response time. Please resend a new subject heading and stick to the timelines . We have no option but to reject this post

Comment

Didnt know that, who knows so (he was wearing a boxing club top though)
                                        Probably him. Just thought id share the Trivia

Comment

I was somewhat ignoring the referendum. On account of my geographical impediment.
                                          But as I came up here I had a look at the proposed wording. I always try to ignore the commentary until I’ve read the actual amendment. Feel it helps take a critical view of any campaign messaging or whatever.

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                          First vote.
                                          Constitutionally, a family is recognised as marriage and kids. A yes vote here brings the Irish constitution more in line with euro court of human rights definition of 'family'. This is, to me, not a bad thing.
                                          On the part on bold, is that accurate? Questioning it specifically in relation to the kids. I don’t know it back to front or anything.
                                          But doesn’t it only say “…the institute of marriage, on which family is founded,”? That to me indicates that marriage, and only marriage creates a family.
                                          Does that mean an unmarried couple with a child are not yet a family? Is in retroactively applied if they get married?
                                          What if the father tragically dies in a crash before the wedding? Is the child a permanently isolated?
                                          Does any child ever come into to its parents family? How, as there no marriage?

ok, slightly absurd conclusion there. But that’s what insisting marriage is the foundation of a family means if applied literally. Durable relationships fixes all of that. Seems a no brainier.

On the care side, it removes the wording for care being defined as mother's and its special role in society. The change broadens this scope to include other family member and the idea of care for other family members.
                                          I suspect this side will split people a bit more. But mainly due to the greater ease which it will be misrepresented. Eg presenting is removing women’s rights. When it does nothing if the sort.

I agree with the intent of the original. And it was of its era. A housewife contributed to society. But times have moved on.

Is a husband who stays at home not recognised for his contribution. Seems sexiest.
                                          What about gay marriages? Without a women involved is there no recognition there either? A bit bizarre, anyone can eject to contribute to the home. Whether they work or stay at home. Whether parents or the children.

As currently written, the woman doesn’t even have to contribute. She gives support just by living. Raw deal for the lads.

Right now that’s a clear Yes for me. I’m struggling to see what the issues are. Willing consider other views, of course

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Nope. You can play a test for a full 5 days and have no winner.
                                            Fair enough. I’ll rephrase to a winner is likely to occur.
                                            A draw is increasingly less common in test cricket. Back in the 60s I think it was most common by a wide margin (which would impact the time it takes for a team to meet their first wi n )

Dear Mellor , this reply has exceeded the requisite response time. Please resend a new subject heading and stick to the timelines . We have no option but to reject this post
                                            I’m gonna have to appeal to the umpire.

I forgot to reply. Then was browsing the bookies see the boys were out against the Afghans in an ODI and it reminded me.

Was looking for presidential odds

Comment

Its kinda glorious that tomorrow Irish people look like they're going to do what Irish people do - and massively overthink things and vote to reaffirm that the woman's place is indeed in the home. The opposition is just bizarre. Things like - I'm a woman and I'm a carer are you saying I'm going to have to leave my disabled kid at home and go work in the mines? like wtf. Its beyond bizarre. It simply removes antiquated language and recognises that caring is carried out in a multitude of ways. The overthinking it is nearly worth it for the global news headlines though.

Comment

Was thinking about something you mentioned a while back, I think it was along the lines of 'never invite the taxman in your home'. My pal tried to apply for taxback from not working for a few months and he has just been slapped with an emergency audit. These are risky little games unless you dot every i and cross every t as a livelihood approach.

Comment

Its kinda glorious that tomorrow Irish people look like they're going to do what Irish people do - and massively overthink things and vote to reaffirm that the woman's place is indeed in the home. The opposition is just bizarre. Things like - I'm a woman and I'm a carer are you saying I'm going to have to leave my disabled kid at home and go work in the mines? like wtf. Its beyond bizarre. It simply removes antiquated language and recognises that caring is carried out in a multitude of ways. The overthinking it is nearly worth it for the global news headlines though.
                                                  government parties fucked themselves should have waited until an election fuck em - they deserve the bloody nose
                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I can honestly see it being No/No...Yes/No at a push.
                                                    So many people I've spoken to or overheard recently seem to not have a real idea what they are voting for and treating it as "If they are for it, I'm against it", with a healthy dose of fear mongering and conspiracy shite
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

government parties fucked themselves should have waited until an election fuck em - they deserve the bloody nose

Like this
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I feel like I should have a list of 'movies to watch', if I did have such a thing I think it would currently be:
                                                        1. Poor Things
                                                        2. 20 Days in Mariupol
                                                        3. Maestro
                                                        4. American Fiction
                                                        5. Ferrari
                                                        6. Anatomy of a Fall
                                                        7. The Zone of Interest
                                                        8. Past Lives
                                                        9. May December
                                                        Skip May December imo

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Tacos Lupillo in inchicore is looking worth the trip.

El grito is a good all round Mexican, but there's better tacos to be found, I don't care what HJ or the Mexicans say
                                                          hijo de puta te mato

Comment

Skip May December imo
                                                            I thought it was interesting enough, but it had the worst soundtrack of any film I remember.

Comment

Like this
                                                              I’m not bothered voting- would vote yes yes if it was tied with an election- not going out of my way to dig the cunts (who I voted for) out
                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

American fiction best movie I’ve seen in cinema in quite some time- a rare decent comedy

Comment

Mubi quite decent as a streaming service- Netflix is garbage- not even worth the 5er in Turkish lira a month I was paying- most of their documentaries in particular are a disgrace- masters of making garbage people can tune in and out of while second screening on their phone

Comment

Like personally I’m doing ok in the pocket under FG but you can see the rot around you if your not completely up your own hole

Comment

I find the proliferation of air pods rather disturbing. Often times I'll look around on a street corner and I'm the only person without them.

It's the audio version of AR.

People have started wearing them in the office, at their desk, walking around, in the bathroom, while collecting and getting their lunch in the office. It's all quite isolating and unnatural.

People would rather shock themselves, rather than have an independent thought.
                                                                      Case to be made for noise cancelling headphones in office- I use them to block out the noise from savages who won’t silence notifications etc- but only listen to white noise or sometimes very ambient stuff

walking around with them is mental stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I thought it was interesting enough, but it had the worst soundtrack of any film I remember.
                                                                        Yeah i wasn't sure if it was meant to be satire.

Comment

I have my QC45s on 100% of the time I'm at a computer with nothing playing in them most of the time. Love the peace and quiet! Would wear them more when out and about too but the clowns in Bose seem to have gotten rid of the mode that can handle wind. 45s are unusable outdoors.

Comment

1. Poor Things
                                                                            2. 20 Days in Mariupol
                                                                            3. Maestro
                                                                            4. American Fiction
                                                                            5. Ferrari
                                                                            6. Anatomy of a Fall
                                                                            7. The Zone of Interest
                                                                            8. Past Lives
                                                                            9. May December
                                                                            All Of Us Strangers should be top of any recommended film list of the past year; Poor Things, Past Lives, The Holdovers & American Fiction are all vying for second position.

Comment

On the part on bold, is that accurate? Questioning it specifically in relation to the kids. I don’t know it back to front or anything.
                                                                              But doesn’t it only say “…the institute of marriage, on which family is founded,”? That to me indicates that marriage, and only marriage creates a family.

ok, slightly absurd conclusion there. But that’s what insisting marriage is the foundation of a family means if applied literally. Durable relationships fixes all of that. Seems a no brainier.
                                                                              Right now that’s a clear Yes for me. I’m struggling to see what the issues are. Willing consider other views, of course
                                                                              I think we are pretty much in agreement

Just for clarity, so people know exactly what they are voting for, it's pretty obviously an improvement

Article 41.2.1° “In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives
                                                                              to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.”

Article 41.2.2° “The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be
                                                                              obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.”

The new wording may not go far enough for some but has a definite improvement regard who
                                                                              a familial carer can be (including mothers!)

In this amendment there is one vote for two proposed changes. The proposal involves deleting
                                                                              Article 41.2.1° and Article 41.2.2° and inserting a new Article 42B, as shown below:

“The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to
                                                                              one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to Society a support without which
                                                                              the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision.”​
                                                                              Last edited by DeadParrot; 07-03-24, 18:03.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                mdoug was on countdown again today for anyone who wants to catch it.
                                                                                he did very well, the sad thing though was the revelation that his girlfriend had recently died.

Comment

Sorry lads ye don’t get to do the pearl clutching “electorate are ignorant morons” routine on this one if there’s 1 or even 2 nos.
                                                                                  establishment parties dropped the ball in so many ways - fault will lie squarely with them

the novelty sock wearing Taoiseach so beloved on here prob cost a fair few votes when he let the mask slip the other day too
                                                                                  Last edited by MysteryGuest; 07-03-24, 18:29.

Comment

I think we are pretty much in agreement

Just for clarity, so people know exactly what they are voting for, it's pretty obviously an improvement

Article 41.2.1° “In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives
                                                                                    to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.”

Article 41.2.2° “The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be
                                                                                    obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.”

The new wording may not go far enough for some but has a definite improvement regard who
                                                                                    a familial carer can be (including mothers!)

In this amendment there is one vote for two proposed changes. The proposal involves deleting
                                                                                    Article 41.2.1° and Article 41.2.2° and inserting a new Article 42B, as shown below:

“The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to
                                                                                    one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to Society a support without which
                                                                                    the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision.”​
                                                                                    Semantics aside I for one have no idea what the legal implications of the changes might. Anyone have any idea what positive rulings or legislation might result from the proposed changes?
                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

On the family side I imagine it'd remove the possibility or necessity of cases like O'Meara vs State.

On the care side, it's more about expanding scope of carers and the recognition under the constitution of caring scenarios. It'll widen eligibility for carers in a constitutional sense

Comment

In the name of Gerry Conlon is very good .

Comment

No side shortening up on PP

Comment

Only thing I was interested in betting on was the turnout. Think it could be the lowest ever. I'd expect 25%.

Comment

I'm going to take that free 90 quid on the 110 max bet on Yes winning the first one. nobody has any really issue with that.

The confusion only lies on the other one and who knows what way that goes. Its very possible that the no campaign only exists on twitter and not in the real world.

Although interestingly the attorney general advice 'leaked' tonight which said - if we change from mothers to carers, i.e. widen the definition of carers, then it could cost the state a fortune in extra obligations. so that dumbass subset of carers that have had a disproportionate influence on swinging the campaign to no have probably done themselves out of income.

I guess 'carers' is a more specific job-oriented term than mothers, hence the extra state obligations.

Comment

My guess is YES/NO .

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Semantics aside I for one have no idea what the legal implications of the changes might. Anyone have any idea what positive rulings or legislation might result from the proposed changes?
                                                                                                  Not sure there are any tbh which might well be the problem. As far as I can tell everything that’s in these clauses through govt policy or legislation are gone so this is house keeping.

It’s about writing out an outdated part of the constitution that was written by a bishop nearly a century ago. If the opinion of a long dead corrupt and by all accounts massive prick seem like they should be part of the constitution vote no.

im sure legal minds have better takes on it.

That being said I will go vote if I need to go to the shops but otherwise probably won’t bother.

Comment

My guess is YES/NO .
                                                                                                    Vote Yes to the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and all other life questions seem irrelevant.

Comment

Rupert Murdoch getting married yet again, at 92.

Somewhat making Succession looking understated.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                        Sorry lads ye don’t get to do the pearl clutching “electorate are ignorant morons” routine on this one if there’s 1 or even 2 nos.
                                                                                                        establishment parties dropped the ball in so many ways - fault will lie squarely with them

the novelty sock wearing Taoiseach so beloved on here prob cost a fair few votes when he let the mask slip the other day too
                                                                                                        The government may have dropped the ball on many issues, people are free to despise the incumbent lot. But basing a referendum vote on a view of the individuals in government, and not solely on the actually proposed change to the constitution - is quite literally from page one of the ignorant moron voters playbook.

Comment

Can anyone summarise the objection the various care organisations have to the second one and critique the argument to save me the trouble?

Comment

The government may have dropped the ball on many issues, people are free to despise the incumbent lot. But basing a referendum vote on a view of the individuals in government, and not solely on the actually proposed change to the constitution - is quite literally from page one of the ignorant moron voters playbook.
                                                                                                            Totally standard though. Second order voting is a way for disgruntled voters to kick the government. And totally to be expected.

If it fails, it's squarely on the government's heads for running such a lackluster, haphazard campaign.

Comment

I’m not basing my view on it but fairly moronic from them not to foresee this- low stakes so turnout will be skewed an nothing else on ballot- if they had done nothing else but tied it in with European elections or the general election they’d have got high turnout and easily carried
                                                                                                              wasters but they’ll just blame ignorance on the electorates part when the ignorance is actually full theirs and theirs alone to own

Comment

I tripped over tumbleweeds this morning. If this is the turnout i may have the deciding vote .

Comment

Totally standard though. Second order voting is a way for disgruntled voters to kick the government. And totally to be expected.

If it fails, it's squarely on the government's heads for running such a lackluster, haphazard campaign.
                                                                                                                  ah its not. its the classic irish disease of overthinking things. we did it with the senate vote also. at some point we just have to start blaming ourselves.

Comment

I'd fucking love a referendum on whether to keep Irish as the primary language of the country.

Comment

I'd fucking love a referendum on whether to keep Irish as the primary language of the country.
                                                                                                                      Funny one this morning, had the wee lad in with me voting , guy sez to him, won't be long before you are voting. Earlier I'd been joking with the missus about we need a piss off option. So naturally little boys have ears and Jimi's reply - only if you have a piss off option . Much hilarity ensued.

Comment

ha, thats brilliant.

Comment

It’d be passed easily, as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X