• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Is it not a bit creepy to be so upset about a gay man's socks
    That’s a creepier comment
    novelty socks are just a sign of a dull man who is also an attention seeker
    saw IT profiling government advisers yesterday and one of Leo’s guys (sexuality unknown) apparently is “into fitness and enjoys posting his CrossFit workouts on social media”. Thank god we don’t have nukes.
    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

The one thing about Vlad is the man is willing to put in the hard work to get reelected.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Welcome back !! Hows the leg ?
        Thanks. Been a Tough few months for the old leg. 5 operations in 5 months and no end in sight tbh. Bone is growing but slowly. up to 5 cms so far. Still on crutches and no idea when that will end. Started looking for a job as the time spent in hospital is way down, but not much to go round here, and to be fair the Swiss have very strange ways

Comment

RIP to the recipient Gogarties rant
          . Also FK YOU Emmet Stagg

Comment

AndyFatBastard would you rally behind Penny Mordaunt?
            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Thanks. Been a Tough few months for the old leg. 5 operations in 5 months and no end in sight tbh. Bone is growing but slowly. up to 5 cms so far. Still on crutches and no idea when that will end. Started looking for a job as the time spent in hospital is way down, but not much to go round here, and to be fair the Swiss have very strange ways
              You went to some lengths to avoid having to talk about the French 6N performance.

I've always found Swiss people to be very insular, verging on rude. How are you assimilating?
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                AndyFatBastard would you rally behind Penny Mordaunt?
                I would also plot to overthrow her.
                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Angus Deaton is an emeritus professor of economics at Princeton University. In 2015, he was awarded the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his analysis of consumption, poverty, and welfare. He's recently been changing his mind about views he's long held and it's a "discomfiting process."

Rethinking my Economics by Angus Deaton
                  Last edited by Opr; 18-03-24, 17:01.

Comment

I think I will take a tl;dr on this pod. I haven't found him particularly compelling to listen to on any of the previous ones I have listen to. He seems far too media savvy to give away much. Lex starts off asking him about the whole saga around him getting removed and he is like a politician bobbing and weaving saying alot while not saying much.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                      That’s a creepier comment
                      novelty socks are just a sign of a dull man who is also an attention seeker
                      saw IT profiling government advisers yesterday and one of Leo’s guys (sexuality unknown) apparently is “into fitness and enjoys posting his CrossFit workouts on social media”. Thank god we don’t have nukes.
                      Any sort of social media “pastime” is going to sound silly in a one sentence summary. But I’d assume fitness and the like comes across far more normally than describing this place and the MO of various posters.
                      Last edited by Mellor; 19-03-24, 09:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You went to some lengths to avoid having to talk about the French 6N performance.

I've always found Swiss people to be very insular, verging on rude. How are you assimilating?
                        Ha, we were awful and got very lucky twice. the less said the better. You guys did well other than choking against the English

Re Switzerland, the Swiss are incredibly polite and nice when interacting on a day to day basis but making friends seems almost impossible as they are incredibly closed when it comes to their friends circles. Tbh, i'm not working yet and so have little chance to meet people on a social level as my time is spent at home or the hospital. My wife has met a few people but nothing leading to more than a casual acquaintances.

The whole of winter anyway is spent leaving the city on the friday night, going up to the mountains, skiing all weekend and coming back on sunday. There are so many resorts within an hour from us, it's just crazy, so wife and son number 2 are up there every weekend enjoying it to the full.

From April onwards, Geneva starts coming out of its ski season, starts being busy on the weekends, and everyone will be outside again enjoying the lake life(which is phenomenal). Boating, swimming, windsurfing, stand up paddles,etc...

All in all we love it so far as it's a stunning country with so much to do, and i can't wait to be able to enjoy them

Comment

Considering a Tesla. any first hand experience out here wanting to share their thoughts. Currently drive 5 Series and leaning towards a move back to a Q5. But kinda feel i wouldn't be doing my DD if I didnt at least give some consideration to a Tesla?

Comment

MysteryGuest WOD announced a Belfast gig (July). Tix on sale on Fri.

Am considering it.
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
                              Considering a Tesla. any first hand experience out here wanting to share their thoughts. Currently drive 5 Series and leaning towards a move back to a Q5. But kinda feel i wouldn't be doing my DD if I didnt at least give some consideration to a Tesla?
                              Martin Fiery Wasabi has one a couple years, he likes to talk about it a lot so he might be your man!

Comment

@v4vendetta has encyclopedic knowledge of EVs. He was waxing lyrical about the MG cars at that recent event. New BYD is fantastic. Makes a Porsche look cheap. Same price range as Tesla, well a bit more expensive, but better range and better battery.

Comment

yikes - that firefighter story today - from the more sharing US press:

After being interviewed by police Saturday, Crosbie booked a flight for 10 p.m. that night, even though he was initially supposed to leave on Tuesday, the DA’s office said.

“At the airport, Crosbie boarded an even earlier flight, departing at around 7 p.m.,” Hayden’s office said. “State police stopped the plane on the Logan tarmac and removed Crosbie.”

Comment

ha. Trump loses case because he overinflated the value of his properties and then is shocked to discover that nobody will take his overinflated properties as collateral for a half-billion in fines.

The former president argues that the value of his properties, including skyscrapers and golf resorts, vastly exceeds the size of the bond and therefore the court should allow him to defray payment until after the appeals process. This argument is richly ironic since it follows a case in which Trump was accused of hyping the value of his buildings to gain preferential rates from banks and insurance firms.

“This is somebody who is in this unenviable position because he has been found guilty of over inflating the values of his properties, so it makes sense insurance companies would not accept the properties and his valuations of them as security on a bond of this size,”

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                      ha. Trump loses case because he overinflated the value of his properties and then is shocked to discover that nobody will take his overinflated properties as collateral for a half-billion in fines.

Wont Manfort and/or the Ruskies bail him out ?

Comment

think he's all about the BigS these days and being part of the saudi money train.

Comment

think he's all about the BigS these days and being part of the saudi money train.
                                          Trump washing? Russia and SA plaaying turd-o- war with Trump? Nahhhh.

Comment

Jesus shrap. The idea of literally growing out a leg just seems mad. Fair play on you keeping positive over it. I suspect the Swiss are a broken people, winter or summer. The downside of a 'perfect' society.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Martin Fiery Wasabi has one a couple years, he likes to talk about it a lot so he might be your man!
                                              Understatement of the century. I think smurf is close to divorcing him he goes on about it that much

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
                                                they're unbeatable value at the moment after taking large cuts off their prices in the last few months. For some reason Ireland's Teslas considerably cheaper than UK at moment too.

One thing that's a bit odd/new/need to get used to is that you have almost zero tactile buttons - so have to learn the 'ipad' shortcuts and that can make it a bit weird for a while.

Y is the sweet spot for the €€€ - rear visibility is terrible but you'd get used to it / learn to use the cameras.

Comment

Going to do a night away with Mrs D3 next week as an experiment in 'can the kids really be trusted on their own?'. Was not promising that the initial reaction to this news was 'free gaff!!!'.

Going to Milan for 3 days without them at the end of April so it better work out.

Comment

Was at Simple Minds last night - a highlight some gal on the Luas saying she always had the hots for Brian Kerr .

Comment

Going to do a night away with Mrs D3 next week as an experiment in 'can the kids really be trusted on their own?'. Was not promising that the initial reaction to this news was 'free gaff!!!'.

Going to Milan for 3 days without them at the end of April so it better work out.
                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

New signs coming to Irish forecourts in the next while - think its an EU law, not Irish.

(prices are based off category averages - so e.g. petrol is all petrol cars in that category, averaged. EV same and based on the average charging pattern of 90% home / 10% outside charging)

prHoLwq.png

Comment

New signs coming to Irish forecourts in the next while - think its an EU law, not Irish.

(prices are based off category averages - so e.g. petrol is all petrol cars in that category, averaged. EV same and based on the average charging pattern of 90% home / 10% outside charging)

prHoLwq.png
                                                          Diesel engines making a comeback! Not as fun or as sexy as the wankel engine but there you go. https://www.irishtimes.com/motors/20...ons-reduction/
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Am heading there in three weeks myself. Going solo.
                                                            I asked the robot earlier about what to do, might be of interest to you.

Was thinking of checking out La Scala Opera. Not sure though if it works for me timewise.

Certainly! Here are some interesting things you can do in Milan City center on a Saturday afternoon:
                                                            1. Visit the iconic Duomo di Milano and explore its breathtaking architecture.
                                                            2. Wander through the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, one of the world's oldest shopping malls, and admire its stunning glass ceiling.
                                                            3. Take a stroll in the beautiful Sempione Park and enjoy the greenery and sculptures.
                                                            4. Explore the historic Brera district, known for its charming streets, art galleries, and boutiques.
                                                            5. Visit the Pinacoteca di Brera to admire masterpieces by Italian artists such as Caravaggio and Raphael.
                                                            6. Enjoy a coffee or aperitivo at one of the many cafes lining the streets.
                                                            7. Take a tour of the La Scala Opera House, one of the most renowned opera houses in the world.
                                                            8. Explore the Castello Sforzesco and its museums, including the Museum of Ancient Art and the Museum of Musical Instruments.
                                                            9. Wander through the vibrant Navigli district, known for its picturesque canals, shops, and restaurants.
                                                            10. Visit the Leonardo da Vinci Museum of Science and Technology to learn about the inventions and innovations of the Renaissance polymath.

These are just a few options to enjoy your Saturday afternoon in Milan City center!
                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

prHoLwq.png
                                                              If you were to price EV on 100% outside charging it would be more expensive than diesel. Just saying.
                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Am considering it.
                                                                Also considering- but already have a lot of gigs round then including WOD in London
                                                                you can buy tix tomorrow btw in artist presale
                                                                use DRUGSUKEU24
                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

If you were to price EV on 100% outside charging it would be more expensive than diesel. Just saying.
                                                                  absolutely. but they have used the average charging pattern. outside charging is mad, but is largely redundant as an idea now, given modern cars will get you to/from any standard destination without needing to charge. I think they have now solved the issue of apartment charging, but not sure, as that was a big thing of people being forced to charge outside.

Comment

What dates? Fancy a factory tour about an hours drive out?
                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Do plug in hybrids make sense on any level?
                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

They seem to make a lot of sense providing you are grand with paying the extra few k for the backup petrol tank. You get your 50km EV on e.g. the Tucson and that does you for 98% of trips, charged at home at the cheap night rate. Then it just automatically clicks over to petrol whenever you need it. Its a class idea in fairness.

Comment

Rented a truck today as I am moving house.

You need to return it with the same fuel in it and obv they hammer you with their fuel costs and service charges if you don’t.

U-Haul gave me the truck 7/8’s full. Apparently this is the policy at this U-Haul.

Clever, evil, bastards.
                                                                          Last edited by Theresa; 20-03-24, 04:28.
                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

no.

Twice the maintenance requirements, no real use case for "fairly sharing" the kms done between the battery/engine. When an "unfair share" is there - you're effectively dragging around a big hunk of battery for no reason or a big hunk of engine for no reason.

Increased costs of running vs a battery electric for those who don't "need" the engine much and much more involved maintenance schedule. 'Wasted cost' of a battery for those who'd drive on fuel more often than not.

Effectively a worst of both worlds solution. Their energy performance / fuel efficiency isn't much to shout about.

Comment

Aren’t the catalytic converters on hybrids highly prized by some cultures making them more susceptible to theft?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Am considering it.
                                                                                Going to head up- looks like a decent venue

Comment

What dates? Fancy a factory tour about an hours drive out?
                                                                                  26th-28th

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Was in a conversation about EVs over the weekend. Know little to nothing about them but following points made:
                                                                                    • Current cost to purchase very high
                                                                                    • Resale value is basically non existent
                                                                                    • Battery only lasts ~ 5 years and very expensive to replace.
                                                                                    • Coupling point 2 and 3 together = not good
                                                                                    • Range and charging infrastructure still not good enough.
                                                                                    Not sure of the absolute validity of any of the above points but if they are valid, seems a long way to go.

Comment

26th-28th
                                                                                      Lets get out of here Mrs Duke, lets relive our youth and shack loose the shackles of parenthood on a trip to romantic Milan.
                                                                                      The style. the history, the ambience and culture. Let me whisk you off you feet.
                                                                                      However, I want to also go on a factory tour to a sausage factory.
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Was in a conversation about EVs over the weekend. Know little to nothing about them but following points made:
                                                                                        Not sure of the absolute validity of any of the above points but if they are valid, seems a long way to go.
                                                                                        Point three is not true AFAIK. They reckon the batteries on current EVs should in general be fine 10+ years into the future. Obviously there is some element of risk as no batteries from the current generation have actually seen real-world use for 10+ years!

Point five is only true for some use cases; travelling salesman who cross the country twice per day on a regular basis, etc... For 95%+ of the Irish population, assuming they have access to a private charger of some kind, the range and charging infrastructure is fine. I'm coming up to two years with my EV, have travelled to Galway regularly and to various other points in Ireland, in addition to taking it to the UK last summer for a family holiday with a lot of driving, and the charging-on-the-go aspect of things is just totally fine and manageable. This is assuming you are happy to take a break for 30 minutes and have lunch should you need to charge the car on the road, which I'd guess most people are? It's not like you need to charge like that very often, I can drive Dublin-Galway without needing to charge, then charge down there (trickle charge through the window of my parent's house for 24 hours or find a public charger for an hour) and drive back without stopping.

Comment

BTW my Dad often repeats to me those same negative talking points about EVs that some lad down the golf course has poured into his ears

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Lets get out of here Mrs Duke, lets relive our youth and shack loose the shackles of parenthood on a trip to romantic Milan.
                                                                                            The style. the history, the ambience and culture. Let me whisk you off you feet.
                                                                                            However, I want to also go on a factory tour to a sausage factory.
                                                                                            I'm sold.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                              BTW my Dad often repeats to me those same negative talking points about EVs that some lad down the golf course has poured into his ears
                                                                                              Yep, it’s difficult to distinguish the truth from the not-so-truth without obviously doing the research yourself.

With regards point 5 though, it might be fine driving from one city to another, taking a break and going again. But going from one rural village to another distant irish villave could pose a problem!

Comment

Think Adrian weckler is a good balanced view on electric cars in Ireland- about as far from a Luddite as it’s possible to be - and he has gone from very pro to slight minus in terms of benefits of ownership in Ireland over past year.

Comment

Its a weird thing the amount of misinformation about EVs. Seems to have been caught up in the whole anti-green thing, but the main thing about an EV is just how much money you save rather than the environmental case. Like they are so incredibly cheap to run that you are saving a few k a year. Also way less lifetime maintenance (which could possibly be the reason why there are grassroots campaigns against them - from mechanics??? ). I wonder was it like this when mobile phones came about and people were talking about landlines in the same way.

Comment

The reason why its weird is because there isn't the same broad incentives for misinformation as usual. As in, the car manufacturers want to sell EVs, they are literally about to stop making petrol cars. And nobody is really losing out by the switch. Normally there is some group losing out and they are the source of the bad vibes - but its a tech thats a pure win for everyone, cheaper cost, better cars, and better environment impact.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                      Think Adrian weckler is a good balanced view on electric cars in Ireland- about as far from a Luddite as it’s possible to be - and he has gone from very pro to slight minus in terms of benefits of ownership in Ireland over past year.
                                                                                                      based on the two-year resale price. which is mad. who sells a car after two years?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                        My dad got solar panels in with the view to eventually getting an EV.
                                                                                                        He went to have a look and the guy persuaded him to get a non pluggable hybrid due to all the reasons listed above.
                                                                                                        I was apolectic when I heard but there was no moving him as he signed there and then.
                                                                                                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 20-03-24, 11:12.
                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

In fairness theres a weird thing at the moment with solars. You are better charging your car at the smart meter rate of 8c a kwh from 2-5am. That gets you 21 kwh / 120 km for about €1.70. Then you don't use the solar, but instead sell it back to the grid at 18.5c a unit. I guess the electricity is more valuable to them during the day. So you wouldn't want to be using solar to charge the car, but instead use the smart meter nighttime ev rate.

Comment

The key takeaway from that post should be SOLAR SOLAR SOLAR SOLAR. Things, like the feed-in tariff, might change, but its never going to make it a non-top-5-life-investment. Ridic good returns.

Comment

based on the two-year resale price. which is mad. who sells a car after two years?
                                                                                                              I feel like a decent % change car every 2-3 years what with the PCP thing. Or maybe that has died a death now?

Comment

ohhhh. Leo's got a new job, maybe?

A major announcement is now expected to be coming from the Government this morning.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar will make the decision known at 12 noon.

The development is believed to centre on the Fine Gael side of the Coalition.

Frantic meetings have been taking place in Government Buildings.

Over the past few months, there has been a focus on the futures of senior leadership figures in the party; Leo Varadkar, Simon Coveney and Paschal Donohoe.

But it is unclear if the decision is related to their futures.

The Cabinet is meeting this morning for the first time since the defeat of the referendum.

Ministers were also away on St Patrick's Day duties last week.

The announcement is not centred on the general election date or the nomination of the next European Commissioner.

Ministers have been alerted to expect the announcement following the Cabinet meeting.

Sources within Government say the decision is of a major magnitude with the phrase "political earthquake" being used.

Comment

I feel like a decent % change car every 2-3 years what with the PCP thing. Or maybe that has died a death now?
                                                                                                                  oh maybe! would you be liable for drop in resale value on a PCP?

Comment

Its a weird thing the amount of misinformation about EVs. Seems to have been caught up in the whole anti-green thing, but the main thing about an EV is just how much money you save rather than the environmental case. Like they are so incredibly cheap to run that you are saving a few k a year. Also way less lifetime maintenance (which could possibly be the reason why there are grassroots campaigns against them - from mechanics??? ). I wonder was it like this when mobile phones came about and people were talking about landlines in the same way.
                                                                                                                    If the overall cost of owning an EV is higher than owning a diesel car then the yearly saving is irrelevant though?

Comment

If the overall cost of owning an EV is higher than owning a diesel car then the yearly saving is irrelevant though?
                                                                                                                      can't see how it possibly could be higher, unless you pay mad money for a super premium car. but theres loads of equally priced EV/petrol cars coming out now. you'd have to be certifiably insane to go for the petrol option.

Comment

In fairness theres a weird thing at the moment with solars. You are better charging your car at the smart meter rate of 8c a kwh from 2-5am. That gets you 21 kwh / 120 km for about €1.70. Then you don't use the solar, but instead sell it back to the grid at 18.5c a unit. I guess the electricity is more valuable to them during the day. So you wouldn't want to be using solar to charge the car, but instead use the smart meter nighttime ev rate.
                                                                                                                        That was the plan. My mate has the solar business so sat down with him and went through everything. The panels were in two days, he went to a car showroom to "look" at EV and somehow was convinced to buy a hybrid.

Comment

Major government announcement at noon, been described as a 'political earthquake'. Leo retiring? Or just normal hyperbole for a nothing-burger?

edit. a link thing.
                                                                                                                          Political ‘earthquake': major announcement expected from Government at noon | Irish Independent

edit2. didn't see that HH had already mentioned it amongst the tiresome car stuff.​
                                                                                                                          Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 20-03-24, 11:19.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X