This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

What did Leo achieve, what positive do we think he will be remembered for?
    Top of the head and obviously the perspective of time will be required but:
    1. Abortion referendum. Important step in bringing us out of the dark ages.
    2. Covid. We had a better than average covid response (may have lucked out being an island).
    3. Economic success - still growing at a rate that makes us the envy of the EU.
    4. Staked out a solid response on both Ukraine and Gaza.
    I would say Enda was a better Taoiseach overall and dealt with more challenging circumstances but Varadkar will probably be remembered as a safe pair of hands. And of course neither a drunk nor a corrupt gombeen unlike a couple of his recent predecessors.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Havent a crystal ball, all i know for a fact is they made a balls of it.
      That's some sophisticated analysis there ole!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

2. Covid. We had a better than average covid response (may have lucked out being an island).
        I would say Enda was a better Taoiseach overall and dealt with more challenging circumstances but Varadkar will probably be remembered as a safe pair of hands. And of course neither a drunk nor a corrupt gombeen unlike a couple of his recent predecessors.
        Also you forgot Brexit and the outcomes in the fucked up NI - Brexit without and hard border and now the (also fucked up) institutions underway again. I think his strengths (leadership, non populist per se) was also his downfall, if you figure he knows there is shit coming, nice time to leave. FG seem fucked. I don't think there is a viable Government leadership alternative to FF/FG but we are going to get it. Paddy Cosgrave was hinting on big reasons for his sudden departure, but it had to be anyway - would be leaked otherwise and then a very different event. Fair play Leo I say. You got the best of it. Leave on your terms.

Comment

Forgot Brexit somehow - he unified Europe behind what must have seemed to many of them a very marginal principle. That was probably the #1 political achievement.

Comment

PP:

1/5 Harris
            7/1 Coveney and Donohue
            8/1 McEntee
            16/1 Humphreys
            Very surprised by the Harris hype/price. Must be solely because he's done well with education brief?

Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

Very surprised by the Harris hype/price. Must be solely because he's done well with education brief?

It's now:
              1/4 Harris
              7/2 Donohue
              5/1 McEntee
              6/1 Humphries

N/R Coveney

Comment

Who was the Taoiseach you most admired in your lifetime?
                Haughey for me. Sending me a toothbrush in the 70s is still the greatest intervention any government has made(though that was before he was Taoiseach).
                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

There is definitely a political market for a Christian Democrat (I mean in the German sense, not 'christian' here) and I'd like to see FG fill that gap rather than try to be all things to everyone. Wonder if the new leader would try for that...

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Haughey for me. Sending me a toothbrush in the 70s is still the greatest intervention any government has made(though that was before he was Taoiseach).
                    Before my time old man

Comment

Was abortion during his reign? That's definitely one. Brexit as you said in an updated one we have to give him.

Covid I'm not so sure, Martin was at the helm for any of the difficult bits. Telling us all to lockdown in line with rest of the world isn't too much to be commended for.

airport, lol

Comment

Was abortion during his reign? That's definitely one. Brexit as you said in an updated one we have to give him.

Covid I'm not so sure, Martin was at the helm for any of the difficult bits. Telling us all to lockdown in line with rest of the world isn't too much to be commended for.
                        Leo was in charge at the outset. Which set the tone for the remainder of the response.

Mortality rates were better than most of our peer countries (despite our much derided health service). Surely you wouldn't deny that as an achievement?

Comment

Free GPs for kids under 8
                          Reduced public transport costs

Reduced childcare costs

Those are ones that jump out for me

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Mortality rates were better than most of our peer countries (despite our much derided health service). Surely you wouldn't deny that as an achievement?
                            I wouldn't deny it as an achievement. But it wasn't Leo's. It took a lot more than tone
                            airport, lol

Comment

I wouldn't deny it as an achievement. But it wasn't Leo's. It took a lot more than tone
                              You are nitpicking Eamo.

Tell us your assessment of his stewardship.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Reduced childcare costs

Never really registered for me as my kids are too old to have benefitted but those are good ones.

There has to be some credit too for the green agenda of the current government?

Comment

Enda Kenny still our greatest living Taoiseach
                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Reduced childcare costs

Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system, and public health , what has the Varadkas done for us. ?

Comment

What did Leo achieve, what positive do we think he will be remembered for?
                                      No politician ever gets credit for the things that happen on their watch, but all of the blame for all the wrong things.

To my mind the key benefits:
                                      - Big progress in healthcare infrastructure. The roleouts of primary care centres and new health structures will be pivotal to changing us to a high quality healthcare system
                                      - Broadly handled the geopolitics right - nobody took too much from us and our standing seems pretty topnotch
                                      - Largest surpluses that have ever been seen with a foreseeable long term mega-surplus - which is heavily related to handling the geopolitics right
                                      - Infrastructure changes vastly for the better in terms of investing in liveable towns and cities, broadband is such a massive thing for rural ireland
                                      - Fixing housing - we're now up at 33k and that will, with growth, eventually solve the housing problem (anyone who claims things could have grown any quicker is just making things up)

Those would be my top five. You can assign credit for those achievements to other people, as they are shared achievements, but those are part of our growing up as a country. You can also criticise some of the things, such as healthcare, but thats not looking at whats really happening in healthcare. Anyone e.g. who has had any major illness, such as a cancer, knows that once you are in that system for a major illness you tend to get excellent quality care.

I'm not proclaiming he's a hero or anything like that. But usually the sentence 'what did xXx achieve' means your head is full of headlines about short-term news, while its the long term strategies that change lives. tbh I'd hate to be living in the UK for that reason - all they seem to focus on is on managing the short-term news and they never get around to the long-term stuff - unlike our politicians.
                                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 20-03-24, 23:06.
                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I realise anytime you mention housing and healthcare people fall about themselves talking about the current problems. But its about the direction to my mind.
                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

You are nitpicking Eamo.

Tell us your assessment of his stewardship.
                                          Ah no I'm not really, I was genuinely trying to think what he'd be remembered for, I think you answered fair enough and I agree to most part, just not on covid haha.

Fierce unlikeable fella tho. And leaving a lot of problems behind (of course not all his fault)
                                          airport, lol

Comment

if nothing else the current news confirms that opposition politics and opposition political thinking is the most rancid of existence known to humankind.

Comment

bit.ly/FineGael2024

Comment

Ah no I'm not really, I was genuinely trying to think what he'd be remembered for, I think you answered fair enough and I agree to most part, just not on covid haha.

Fierce unlikeable fella tho. And leaving a lot of problems behind (of course not all his fault)
                                                So (and this is not directed at you at all) you are expressing a common opinion these days. And it's something that is by no means restricted to Ireland - in fact we probably have it milder than most other liberal democracies - the US is the worst.

It's this:
                                                1. by pretty much any measure you care to name, we are living in the best version of Ireland that has ever existed. It's peaceful, democratic and ludicrously wealthy. We are well educated, we live long, decent lives. Crime is low and violent crime even lower. This is one of the best places in the world to live - by being born in Ireland, you have won the lottery of life. Yes, we do have some problems (the perfect country does not exist) but, largely, Ireland is fucking awesome.
                                                2. If I go up to any random Irish person and start asking questions, they will probably agree that they, as an individual, lead a pretty great life. So they are able, in the context of their own individual circumstances to recognise the facts in (1) above.
                                                3. Now, if I ask the same person how they think Ireland is doing as a country, their response will likely be very different. They will point to problems in housing, in health. They might have a rant about immigration. They might shout about inflation. etc etc

Politicians are working to build (1) for the benefit of (2) - but they are getting judged on (3).

(3) is, largely speaking a false perception, that opposition politicians and bad actors try to amplify - generally using social media. If you can push the narrative of (3) hard enough, then you will succeed at the ballot boxes - unfortunately that 'success' translates into things like Trump, Brexit, the Front Nationale, Wilders, Orban etc etc

How do we break this cycle and start talking about politics in a way that is objective and focused on the long term policies? I have no idea. But given the toxic discourse around (3), I can see exactly why someone like Leo would want to get the hell out of dodge.

Comment

Like for example, ole said Leo 'made a balls of it'.

Where did that even come from? It would be interesting for him to think back over it (I'm sure he wasn't thinking too deeply as he typed it) and investigate where that came from. Does he really believe it? Does he tend to read social media that amplifies that opinion? Is he angry and why is he angry? Who is he even angry at?

We're being manipulated - every day. Mostly without being aware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                    Enda Kenny still our greatest living Taoiseach
                                                    And therein lies the mystery

Comment

We are always copying the Brits . Our Queen is gone now too, thats 2 queens in a week after Emmet Stagg checked out .

Comment

Where did that even come from? It would be interesting for him to think back over it (I'm sure he wasn't thinking too deeply as he typed it) and investigate where that came from. Does he really believe it? Does he tend to read social media that amplifies that opinion? Is he angry and why is he angry? Who is he even angry at?

I think there are certain things which are still present in Ireland which people can feel aggrieved about despite the evident progress.

Your first point is rather trivial because that is the condition of almost all western societies which is what people in Ireland are comparing themselves against.

Regarding your 2nd & 3rd points, you’re making some very broad assumptions.
                                                        I don’t believe that as many people as you think see themselves as content on the individual level but identify the society as a whole as broken.
                                                        There is a much larger cohort of individuals who genuinely feel their life is not that great and that Ireland is also not all that great.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I think there are certain things which are still present in Ireland which people can feel aggrieved about despite the evident progress.

Your first point is rather trivial because that is the condition of almost all western societies which is what people in Ireland are comparing themselves against.

Regarding your 2nd & 3rd points, you’re making some very broad assumptions.
                                                          I don’t believe that as many people as you think see themselves as content on the individual level but identify the society as a whole as broken.
                                                          There is a much larger cohort of individuals who genuinely feel their life is not that great and that Ireland is also not all that great.

But what is that based on. The necessities of today are right up their in the hierarchy of needs table. Now not having a car or a phone with x amount of download speed is considered poverty and yet cocaine use and bloomin botox is flying high business wise. Inflation has been bad I guess but for me the 2 big things that need to be tackled. Housing and Youth . The youth of today are either over entitled or inflamed by feelings of anger towards immigrants, especially asylum seekers and to a lesser extent yer average Joe delivering a Pizza. Young people seem self obsessed.
                                                          The AS debacle is really an accommodation issue. The population has grown , we need to build up. The amount of Immigrants is not the issue, it’s our lack of leadership on it. Leo stepped down , my guess is he has zero clue as to how to fix it, it’s bubbling atm. Like everything else, (including hospital building) we suffer from piss poor project management mindset. Ireland is at another mini crossroads. Maybe they can submit the variables into AI and see if it can produce a manifesto of logical genius. More coppers , more upward building, more youth resources and better planning. Failing all that, we probably need a vigilante force of middle aged big bellied blokes with pellet guns patrolling the towns of Ireland. Anyway I’m at my download limit on my phone , anyone know where the nearest internet café is to Newcastle?

A separate rant, my kid is learning the Irish National Anthem. There is one clear reason why a LOT of people don’t know it and it’s not because it’s in Irish. It’s because it’s in the most obscure Irish you can conjure up in one song. Who signed off on this shambles.

Comment

Yep, and they are wrong.

The question is what do you do about that before those false perceptions spill over into terrible choices and even worse consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
                                                              It's done. First Wicklow Taoiseach.

Comment

I wonder if most people have any opinion on Harris i.e. does he make much impact on the public consciousness

I certainly don't really know much about him other than he seemed a reasonably competent Minister. He'll be a very different style to Varadkar.

Comment

Yep, and they are wrong.

The question is what do you do about that before those false perceptions spill over into terrible choices and even worse consequences.
                                                                  What’s a false perception?

Someone can still be aggrieved even if they recognise that by contemporary global standards and by historical Irish standards they’re in a very privileged situation but by contemporary Irish standards they might be suffering.

For those like you and I, we just happen to be also in the category of doing well by contemporary Irish standards.

Comment

What’s a false perception?

Someone can still be aggrieved even if they recognise that by contemporary global standards and by historical Irish standards they’re in a very privileged situation but by contemporary Irish standards they might be suffering.

For those like you and I, we just happen to be also in the category of doing well by contemporary Irish standards.
                                                                    The perception that everything in Ireland is shit and their life is awful (and it's someone else's fault) - that's a false perception.

We can't stop people having a false perception but we should at least call it out as being so.

Comment

Promising to deliver x# of housing units, block buying from private developers, removing the private individual from even the option to purchase in my opinion is a disgrace.
                                                                      Lets say a car is 25k to buy outright but someone buys all the cars and decides to rent them to you at a much higher price than you would be paying if you took a loan yourself, i honestly see that as disgraceful.
                                                                      Real world i have a son who pays 950 a month for a room, thats more than my mortgage, there is a very strong possibility that he may never even have the opportunity to buy a place of his own, that he could afford, similar to thousands of people in similar positions.

Dont get sick on a friday, especially not a bank holiday weekend. This didnt happen overnight, how do other countries deal with it ? they work 24/7 365...throw money at it, get it sorted, they have lots of money they can find down the back of the couch when they want.

I am very aware of how good I have it, very, its not about me though its about the next generation, they wont have the same comforts i have, i am also very aware this is not an Ireland issue, its most developed countries at this stage...what changed in 40 years ? I just cant get my head around it.

Very easy for us to say im alright Jack, there are many more who will never achieve what we have, and its not down to lack of ambition or drive.
                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Yep, and they are wrong.

Are you thinking of running ?

Throw in an auld "far right" to be sure.

This too shall pass.

Comment

Where is the hundred year plan ? The 50 year plan? The 25 year plan ? Never mentioned...the next election, thats what counts. Democracy just doesnt work anymore imo, teachers and doctors running the country, get the tzars in and pay them enough to at least find a soloution regardless of how difficult it may be to implement.

Dont even start me on the greens with their climate cult...not everyone lives on a luas line.

Far too early for me to be getting riled....
                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Are you thinking of running ?
                                                                            Jesus, no. You would want to be off your head to get involved.

Throw in an auld "far right" to be sure.
                                                                            Luckily, we don't have that yet as an electoral option but it's coming. The rhetoric is turning nastier and somebody will figure out how to package that up in a way that is electable.

Comment

Promising to deliver x# of housing units, block buying from private developers, removing the private individual from even the option to purchase in my opinion is a disgrace.
                                                                              Lets say a car is 25k to buy outright but someone buys all the cars and decides to rent them to you at a much higher price than you would be paying if you took a loan yourself, i honestly see that as disgraceful.
                                                                              Real world i have a son who pays 950 a month for a room, thats more than my mortgage, there is a very strong possibility that he may never even have the opportunity to buy a place of his own, that he could afford, similar to thousands of people in similar positions.
                                                                              It's the same all over the Western world. Go to London, New York, Paris...you will see the exact same market stresses.

I am not really sure why people think politicians are the answer. Let them fix the planning system to maximise the capability to build yes, but for God's sake don't put them in charge of actual delivery.

As Hitch has noted, this is a multi-year thing. The supply is actually increasing YoY. Will it take many years to reach equilibrium? Yes.

Dont get sick on a friday, especially not a bank holiday weekend. This didnt happen overnight, how do other countries deal with it ? they work 24/7 365...throw money at it, get it sorted, they have lots of money they can find down the back of the couch when they want.
                                                                              It's not a money problem. We spend more per head (despite having a younger population) on Heath than nearly anyone.

It's a delivery problem. It's all about achieving optimal service delivery and we are stuck in a 1950s view of what a health service configuration should be.

I am very aware of how good I have it, very, its not about me though its about the next generation, they wont have the same comforts i have, i am also very aware this is not an Ireland issue, its most developed countries at this stage...what changed in 40 years ? I just cant get my head around it.

Very easy for us to say im alright Jack, there are many more who will never achieve what we have, and its not down to lack of ambition or drive.
                                                                              Why do you think the next generation won't have it better than us?

We did, our parents did, their parents did.

Comment

May have mentioned before but I know i guy who built his (very nice) house without a need for a mortgage. Owns another house that he rents out for nice money. Has gotten a couple inheritances and may get another couple. He is a millionaire in terms of assets and may also be one in liquid assets. He works full time in a ‘normal’ job also.

But will, for example, only go out once a week because ‘he can’t afford it’, along with some other traits.

Now you can call that miserly, and that is definitely a part of it, but this guy, while not particularity vocal, would be more on the side of the current opposition politics than the government. Regularity stating, ‘What are they doing for me/us etc.Strikes me as absolutely mad and a definite false perception.

And there are plenty more like him out there who don’t realise how lucky they have it and how quickly it could all change with some of the puppets in the wings.

Comment

Fantastic I’m alright jack nonsense from RD3 there .

There’s a good cohort in this country whose life is shit and it’s very much someone else’s fault- again not talking about myself here but if I look at people 10 years younger than me who have done everything right and weren’t half as much of a feckless fuckwit as I was in my 20’s who don’t have a hope of achieving some basic milestones like property ownership or being able to start a family as the ladder has been well and truly yanked up.

Marie Antoinette III quote “Why do you think the next generation won't have it better than us?

We did, our parents did, their parents did.​”.

Past performance not an indicator of future performance- especially given the massive challenges ahead we haven’t begun to scratch the surface of

reminder fossil fuel carbon emissions hitting a record high this year - decades after it became clear they needed to be scaled back
                                                                                  Last edited by MysteryGuest; 21-03-24, 11:25.
                                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Very flattering piece in Bloomberg about his leadership.

They wonder why the electorate is so ungrateful.

Housing and health are perennial structural problems, if that's the main criticism, it's a successful tenure.
                                                                                    ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                                                      May have mentioned before but I know i guy who built his (very nice) house without a need for a mortgage. Owns another house that he rents out for nice money. Has gotten a couple inheritances and may get another couple. He is a millionaire in terms of assets and may also be one in liquid assets. He works full time in a ‘normal’ job also.

But will, for example, only go out once a week because ‘he can’t afford it’, along with some other traits.

Now you can call that miserly, and that is definitely a part of it, but this guy, while not particularity vocal, would be more on the side of the current opposition politics than the government. Regularity stating, ‘What are they doing for me/us etc.Strikes me as absolutely mad and a definite false perception.

And there are plenty more like him out there who don’t realise how lucky they have it and how quickly it could all change with some of the puppets in the wings.
                                                                                      Be interesting to see who he thinks could 'fix' things for him, the poor fecker.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Very flattering piece in Bloomberg about his leadership.

They wonder why the electorate is so ungrateful.

Housing and health are perennial structural problems, if that's the main criticism, it's a successful tenure.
                                                                                        ​​​​
                                                                                        Flattering piece in billionaire scumbag owned media outlet- wonder why they would be so happy with him

Comment

That he got to where he is, despite having the charisma of a tree stump, suggests he must have some skills.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Flattering piece in billionaire scumbag owned media outlet- wonder why they would be so happy with him
                                                                                            Just good to get a more detached global relative view

Comment

That he got to where he is, despite having the charisma of a tree stump, suggests he must have some skills.
                                                                                              Yes
                                                                                              They are called advisors
                                                                                              Fair play to him he surrendered himself with plenty of them

Comment

It was always quite surprising to me how quickly and how strongly he came back from his failure to oust Kenny.

Comment

Interested to see the Reddit IPO today, 6.5b valuation at the current price. I’m sure WallStreetBets is pretty busy discussing it.

Perhaps it’ll be a total non-event but about as interesting as an IPO can be.

Comment

I have to admit, when I first heard he was resigning yesterday, I immediately thought that there must be some sort of scandal. That's was more directed at politics in general rather than Leo as normally you have to wrestle the power off any leader.

I know somebody who has worked fairly closely with him over a good few years, since he first became Taoiseach. They are in no way politically involved or motivated and they have always said that he is a very genuine, down to earth kind of person.

He has just always struggled to get that across to the public and probably just doesn't have the charisma to do so.

Comment

Nestle owe me 1 smartie... only 31 in the box today!

Carry on

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Carry on
                                                                                                        What colour you missing ? Have a few spares at home in a discarded goodie bag..

Comment

Carry on
                                                                                                          Even without commenting on you actually counting them, is it a thing that there should be 32 of them in a tube? Is it written on the box anywhere, or has your years of OCD counting of smarties given you the knowledge that there are always 32 smarties in a tube?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

What colour you missing ? Have a few spares at home in a discarded goodie bag..
                                                                                                            All colours present albeit not in egual amounts..there was a disconcerting nay discombobulating preponderance of light blue smarties and a rather paltry offering of red ones
                                                                                                            Nestle lawyers beware!

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Even without commenting on you actually counting them, is it a thing that there should be 32 of them in a tube? Is it written on the box anywhere, or has your years of OCD counting of smarties given you the knowledge that there are always 32 smarties in a tube?
                                                                                                              My dear old dad used to say I was a Savant of some kind when he was cracking wise!
                                                                                                              1/2 pack= 16 smarties= 89calories

Written on the tube

Surely everyone matches up the colours or is that just me

Comment

All colours present albeit not in egual amounts..there was a disconcerting nay discombobulating preponderance of light blue smarties and a rather paltry offering of red ones
                                                                                                                Nestle lawyers beware!

​​​​​​
                                                                                                                Sorry I led you up the garden Path . These yolks are not not smarties they are of a different breed. I think Skittles but cant be sure .

with Smarties consumption, do you eat one by one or devour a handful at a time ? As a I could never eat more than 2 or 3 ( hyperactivity reasons) .

Also there are folk out there who can eat a full Mars Bar . I look on with awe .

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Sometimes there are in fact 31.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Sorry I led you up the garden Path . These yolks are not not smarties they are of a different breed. I think Skittles but cant be sure .

with Smarties consumption, do you eat one by one or devour a handful at a time ? As a I could never eat more than 2 or 3 ( hyperactivity reasons) .

Also there are folk out there who can eat a full Mars Bar . I look on with awe .
                                                                                                                    Two at a time with slurp of tea.

Good that we are on to more important topics than the running of the country....this gougery has to stop!

Quick Solks... do up a few placards and we'll march to Leinster house

Comment

Harris clearly does have a machiavellian streak. Enemies all slain without the need to fire a shot, WP.

Comment

Harris clearly does have a machiavellian streak. Enemies all slain without the need to fire a shot, WP.
                                                                                                                        Guy takes job nobody else wants more like. Genuinely wouldn't think any of people who had been mentioned are in any way enemies.
                                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Guy takes job nobody else wants more like. Genuinely wouldn't think any of people who had been mentioned are in any way enemies.
                                                                                                                          LOL. It's politics, not some nice little book club.

The whole point is to climb over the bodies of your compatriots and then rule by fear.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X