Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If theres something we do great in this country its saying that people are gobshites who could never get a job elsewhere and then they consistently get great jobs elsewhere. Tubridy as an example. But that guy Eoghan someone from FG also, as two people who spring to mind. I suppose its good that we keep them on their toes though.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      If theres something we do great in this country its saying that people are gobshites who could never get a job elsewhere and then they consistently get great jobs elsewhere. Tubridy as an example. But that guy Eoghan someone from FG also, as two people who spring to mind. I suppose it’s good that we keep them on their toes though.
      don’t think tubridys slot is a great job in comparison to the cushy number and pay he had or in terms of profile over there
      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Wonder if the announcement is something to do with socks?
        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

can't see how it possibly could be higher, unless you pay mad money for a super premium car. but theres loads of equally priced EV/petrol cars coming out now. you'd have to be certifiably insane to go for the petrol option.
          I think i just picked something Wombatsman said about outside charging completely wrong tbh

But i guess if the difference in resale prices > difference in running costs, they could be more expensive maybe

Comment

ohhhh. Leo's got a new job, maybe?

Leo's gonna weigh in on the KateGate photoshoppery
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

If it’s ‘major’ then it would suggest something like:
              • Leo stepping down
              • Election
              • Coalition fell apart and hence election
              • Something with Michael D

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                Major government announcement at noon, been described as a 'political earthquake'. Leo retiring? Or just normal hyperbole for a nothing-burger?

edit. a link thing.
                Political ‘earthquake': major announcement expected from Government at noon | Irish Independent

edit2. didn't see that HH had already mentioned it amongst the tiresome car stuff.​

Comment

Leo is stepping down apparently.

But the main takeaway is that EVs are phenomenal value.

Comment

Leo gone confirmed - not confirmed if sock related yet

Comment

can't see how it possibly could be higher, unless you pay mad money for a super premium car. but theres loads of equally priced EV/petrol cars coming out now. you'd have to be certifiably insane to go for the petrol option.
                      I’d be slow to purchase a new EV given how volatile the market currently is. I think there’s some great value in relative terms in the used market at the moment that’s worth considering.

My life (home, work, family, social) simply doesn’t have the infrastructure around it that would make an EV in any way convenient so I’m happy enough to remain with an ICE.

I watched this James May video recently, I thought he articulated it relatively well:

Seal, Tesla, BMW IX, ID3/4/5, Ionic 5/6 or even an Audi E-tron (built on Porsche Taycan) don’t think you can go wrong if the infrastructure exists around you. Total no brainer really but I’d be looking 2nd hand.

Comment

Leo is stepping down apparently.

But the main takeaway is that EVs are phenomenal value.
                        At least people have stopped pretending they are going to save the planet.
                        complete no brainer if you live in a city tbf

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

At least people have stopped pretending they are going to save the planet.
                          complete no brainer if you live in a city tbf
                          I think they're part of saving the planet. I just don't think people make life decisions whether something will save the planet. Solar being the prime example - it has to make financial sense. first and foremost

Comment

Stepping down
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Wonder who will be the interim Taoiseach? It's a big gig, anyone would be eager to do it for a few months I'm sure - unless it goes back to Martin for some reason, to see out the lifetime of this government?

Comment

Imediate effect!
                                Last edited by DeadParrot; 20-03-24, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

edit2. didn't see that HH had already mentioned it amongst the tire-some car stuff.​
                                  Badumdum tish
                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Odds on insertion of cringe movie quotes into speech?

Comment

In fairness theres a weird thing at the moment with solars. You are better charging your car at the smart meter rate of 8c a kwh from 2-5am. That gets you 21 kwh / 120 km for about €1.70. Then you don't use the solar, but instead sell it back to the grid at 18.5c a unit. I guess the electricity is more valuable to them during the day. So you wouldn't want to be using solar to charge the car, but instead use the smart meter nighttime ev rate.
                                      My Dad was convinced to get solar recently. But the sales pitch was basically. Get solar, free electricity during day, heat water with the surplus. The logic being batteries are expensive with a long RoI.
                                      The last part may be true, but the water storage sounded way too lossy to me.

So checked out market rates, and best approach is pretty much use what you need during the day, sell the rest back to the grid, heat water at the night rate (usage depending).

The last bit applies to a battery too, charging it from solar is not ideal. Still best to sell to the grid and charge the battery at the night rate.

Comment

Be interesting to see the 'new FG leader' market.
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                          Wonder who will be the interim Taoiseach? It's a big gig, anyone would be eager to do it for a few months I'm sure - unless it goes back to Martin for some reason, to see out the lifetime of this government?
                                          It'll be the new FG leader I'm sure.

The question really is how long the coalition can last now (or how long it wants to last).

Comment

I was ruminating this morning on recent sock commentary and Ciaran Cannon's interviews yesterday about the reasons underlying his decision to step back from politics. Feels like politics is no place for decent people any more.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Now or never for Coveney?
                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Just sounds like he hit the wall. This doesn't sound like something that was strategically planned.

It must take a huge toll on you tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                  Now or never for Coveney?
                                                  I was wondering would Heather Humphreys go for it.

We need a proddy Taoiseach to beat the country back into shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                    I was ruminating this morning on recent sock commentary and Ciaran Cannon's interviews yesterday about the reasons underlying his decision to step back from politics. Feels like politics is no place for decent people any more.

As America leads, we follow.

You just need to look at some of the graceless reaction to see it. You don't have to be a government supporter to recognise that people give their lives to politics in service of their country. Leo in particular could have earned far more practicing medicine and not being insulted every waking minute.

Comment

he's a good guy. and 45 is a great age to reassess where you want to go in life.

Comment

Not sure he's that good a guy. Always came across as condescending and at no time did he appear genuine. Big respect for just saying 'fuck this, see yiz later' though.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                          Not sure he's that good a guy. Always came across as condescending and at no time did he appear genuine. Big respect for just saying 'fuck this, see yiz later' though.
                                                          I would argue that Bertie appeared genuine but was a bit of a fuckstacle, while Leo set about actually managing the country rather than being everyones friend.

Comment

A middle ground would be nice!

Comment

I would argue that Bertie appeared genuine but was a bit of a fuckstacle, while Leo set about actually managing the country rather than being everyones friend.
                                                              'A bit'

Comment

A middle ground would be nice!
                                                                Who was the Taoiseach you most admired in your lifetime?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I was wondering would Heather Humphreys go for it.

We need a proddy Taoiseach to beat the country back into shape.
                                                                  Harris probably fav, Pascal if he goes for it of the rest I'd prefer to see McEntee or Humphries rather than Coveny
                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Just sounds like he hit the wall. This doesn't sound like something that was strategically planned.

It must take a huge toll on you tbf.
                                                                    Brussels contact (who knows every bit of scuttlebut) says there is zero talk of Leo being lined up for one of the big EU positions. Shock all round.

I think he's just genuinely done with politics. Maybe taking a leaf out of Jurgen Klopp's book and getting out at the top?

Comment

Harris probably fav, Pascal if he goes for it of the rest I'd prefer to see McEntee or Humphries rather than Coveny
                                                                      Harris/Coveney/Humphries would be the running order imo

Comment

QQ for anyone who has been to a gig in Malahide Castle.

Are there any raised areas a kid could stand to see the show? Considering taking HiFi jr to see Green Day in summer but at 8yo he'd really need to be on higher ground to see what's going on otherwise I doubt it'd be worth it.

Cheers in advance.
                                                                        b.

Comment

I am about as politically disengaged as one could be. Don't think I've ever thought about any of them long enough to determine my level of admiration for them.

Comment

I am about as politically disengaged as one could be. Don't think I've ever thought about any of them long enough to determine my level of admiration for them.
                                                                            Yet you have a critical insta-opinion on Varadkar....

Comment

Oh wait... its in Marlay Park. Same question applies though. Cheers

Comment

PP:

1/5 Harris
                                                                                7/1 Coveney and Donohue
                                                                                8/1 McEntee
                                                                                16/1 Humphreys

Comment

Harris/Coveney/Humphries would be the running order imo
                                                                                  Paschal would be my first choice quickly followed by Harris.

Just seems a very rounded individual - very strong MOF.

Comment

Comment

Yet you have a critical insta-opinion on Varadkar....
                                                                                      Yep that's about as deep as my opinions on politicians run. Am I in financial ruin and are they charismatic. Leo scores 1/2.

Comment

Yep that's about as deep as my opinions on politicians run. Am I in financial ruin and are they charismatic. Leo scores 1/2.
                                                                                        i kinda get you. following politics is reasonably pointless. i guess - until its not. as in we probably need to be engaged enough to stop catastrophic general choices.

Comment

Not a hope in hell a power hungry condescending prick like leo left because he is doing the best for the party, are people that out of touch with reality, just like your average TD?

Will glad-fully eat my words if nothing scandalous comes out in the next few weeks.

Lots of folk here will be watching their kids search for rooms when they start college or first jobs, let alone mention buying their first house... lets see how good a job you think they have done then.
                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

i kinda get you. following politics is reasonably pointless. i guess - until its not. as in we probably need to be engaged enough to stop catastrophic general choices.
                                                                                            It's quite engrossing, in that it's the art of leveraging and exercising power.
                                                                                            It's one of the major forces that shapes our lives so we should know at least a little bit about it.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                              Not a hope in hell a power hungry condescending prick like leo left because he is doing the best for the party, are people that out of touch with reality
                                                                                              You literally failed on the first line. People who are power hungry don't voluntarily relinquish it.

Comment

It's quite engrossing, in that it's the art of leveraging and exercising power.
                                                                                                It's one of the major forces that shapes our lives so we should know at least a little bit about it.
                                                                                                Quantum mechanics textbooks for all!

Comment

Proper Taoisech would be a cross between Fitzgerald and Haughey

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                    QQ for anyone who has been to a gig in Malahide Castle.

Are there any raised areas a kid could stand to see the show? Considering taking HiFi jr to see Green Day in summer but at 8yo he'd really need to be on higher ground to see what's going on otherwise I doubt it'd be worth it.

Cheers in advance.
                                                                                                    b.
                                                                                                    Generally answer is No for both Marley Park and Malahide (there might be some exceptions but Greenday likely isn't one of them)

Comment

Benny how did you miss the chance to refer to HiFi jr as mini HiFi.

Comment

[QUOTE=oleras;n1746547]Not a hope in hell a power hungry condescending prick like leo left because he is doing the best for the party, are people that out of touch with reality, just like your average TD?

Will glad-fully eat my words if nothing scandalous comes out in the next few weeks.

Lots of folk here will be watching their kids search for rooms when they start college or first jobs, let alone mention buying their first position with Kate Middleton
                                                                                                        No pics yet but Prince Willy very upset

Comment

Jensen Huang have gave a keynote speech to a packed football field sized stadium of people yesterday. There is a post here which shows the last 6 or so minutes. Genuinely if someone showed you this just a few years back the only way you could understand what you are seeing is as a science fiction film.

​​image.png

Comment

What did Leo achieve, what positive do we think he will be remembered for?
                                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

What did Leo achieve, what positive do we think he will be remembered for?
                                                                                                              There was that time he inserted mean girls quotes into a serious speech about Covid

Comment

2nd game of 2024 today, some randomer was assigned to us . Fine by us. 1st t--off he is throwing his hands up in the air at the group ahead. Hmm, gonna be a long day.I thought. Told him to be careful throwing the hands up like that as a plane can land from Baldonnell. Grunt, by the 9th hole I'd worn him down , he went in, great success. Cant be arsed listening to moaning all day, lifes too short.
                                                                                                                His name was Victor which was fitting i dooooon't believeee it. I may have uttered that a few times as my Wayward drives found the trees. , the slow play ahead killed his spirit . Not suprised he was on his own. Jeeez

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                  N
                                                                                                                  Lots of folk here will be watching their kids search for rooms when they start college or first jobs, let alone mention buying their first house... lets see how good a job you think they have done then.
                                                                                                                  Do you think any other party/coalition would have done better?

Comment

You literally failed on the first line. People who are power hungry don't voluntarily relinquish it.
                                                                                                                    As I said, lets wait and see.
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Do you think any other party/coalition would have done better?
                                                                                                                      Havent a crystal ball, all i know for a fact is they made a balls of it.
                                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1746565&d=1710961277&type=thumb
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
                                                                                                                        Considering a Tesla. any first hand experience out here wanting to share their thoughts. Currently drive 5 Series and leaning towards a move back to a Q5. But kinda feel i wouldn't be doing my DD if I didnt at least give some consideration to a Tesla?
                                                                                                                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                                          Jensen Huang have gave a keynote speech to a packed football field sized stadium of people yesterday. There is a post here which shows the last 6 or so minutes. Genuinely if someone showed you this just a few years back the only way you could understand what you are seeing is as a science fiction film.

​​image.png
                                                                                                                          Originally posted by Opr View Post

​​image.png

WHat was up with "green" robot. Basically just said FU I'm chilling!

​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X