X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Have ya seen Kneecap in action.
    New Year’s resolution is to finally become competent in Irish so I can pass by the Una mull alley, kneecap and marry walloped inspired death squads in 2024
    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Season 2 of The Tourist is here.
      Set in Ireland this time.
      Possibly the worst thing Hitch recommend last year.
      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
        Aalways hard to shake off feeling that your watching biggest collection of phoneys in the world watching jools on nye
        Haha, that's the point ya big banana.

HOOTENANNY
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          That young kid from Donegal is on Jools tonight

HOOTENANNY
          Was she on earlier ?

Doesn't look like she's part of the show now
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Aalways hard to shake off feeling that your watching biggest collection of phoneys in the world watching jools on nye
            I enjoy it but the magic has been ruined by knowing it's pre recorded
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Was she on earlier ?

Doesn't look like she's part of the show now
              She was just on

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I enjoy it but the magic has been ruined by knowing it's pre recorded
                Ah I don't think it takes away from it.

I did think it was recorded in September though but Jools mentioned the death of Shane MCGowan so it's obv more recent.

Comment

She was just on
                  She’s obv very talented but all I could think about watching it was all the cultural appropriation tweets (prob also pre recorded)
                  Anyway just posting to say is Maith liom Mary wallpapers agus Una mullay
                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

She’s obv very talented but all I could think about watching it was all the cultural appropriation tweets (prob also pre recorded)
                    athbhliain faoi mhaise daoibh, taitneamh a bhaint as tú féin. Tá sé níos déanaí ná mar a cheapann tú

Comment

Sometimes its about the party.

As for the wee blues girly , its allabiut getting the breaks. There are many pickers superior but her youth is her selling point . Hope she kicks on from here. Its a brutal industry and shes very young.

Watching some of the singers last night made me realise the loss of Amy Winehouse even more. A rare talent.

Comment

Fascinating display of the mind fucking with you when you know it all on the line. We think we humans are all that, with our ChatGTP and our MRNA vaccines, but we still have to find a formula for clutch when it matters! These guys are at the top of the game and have had the best schooling from the best people on how to prepare for these moments. Get a refund

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Going to be a bumper year for election junkies. European, local and a possible GE here, with GE in UK and Presidential in US.
                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Are there any good docs on the 2020 US prez election does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                              Going to be a bumper year for election junkies. European, local and a possible GE here, with GE in UK and Presidential in US.
                              Iowa caucus in 2 weeks time. Ideally Haley shows up strongly enough that De Santis eventually gets the message that basing your campaign on out-Trumping Trump was never a viable strategy.
                              Make this thing a two horse race and do it now plz.

A moments silence for HH's De S bets please.
                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Are there any good docs on the 2020 US prez election does anyone know?
                                I like the 538 podcasts but would really like to get my hands on some sane conservative analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  would really like to get my hands on some sane conservative analysis.
                                  Good luck with that

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Good luck with that
                                    It does seem like that some days but remove the source of the fever and I wonder do things settle down again. Maybe not!

Comment

Slow Horses S3 was great. I think my favourite thing is the Boris cipher ('Peter Judd').

Also watched The Bear over Christmas, great show. I'd have it at about 60% comedy but some great dramatic moments too.

Comment

Slow Horses S3 was great. I think my favourite thing is the Boris cipher ('Peter Judd').

Also watched The Bear over Christmas, great show. I'd have it at about 60% comedy but some great dramatic moments too.
                                        Went to start watching Slow horses and accidentally started on S03. Realised my mistake after two episodes. Actually thought it was a much better show that than S01

The Bear, I don't really get. It's just people talking over each other. Its about as enjoyable to watch as Uncut Gems.
                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 01-01-24, 19:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                          Went to start watching Slow horses and accidentally started on S03. Realised my mistake after two episodes. Actually thought it was a much better show that than S01

The Bear, I don't really get. It's just people talking over each other. Its about as enjoyable to watch as Uncut Gems.
                                          Uncut Gems was a stressful experience the whole way through. I liked it, but I really don't think I enjoyed watching it.

I've been watching For All Mankind lately, and it's such a waste of what could be an unbelievable show. With a little more love, and a little more research, and a little better writing it could have been an all timer. Instead its a very mediocre, annoying, but watchable Space show. The Expanse still the best Sci Fi Ive watched.
                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Shit crowd at the darts
                                            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

For anyone who cares, new albums I liked this year in no order...

Killer Mike - Michael
                                              Mary wallopers - Irish rock and roll
                                              Jazzbois - higher dimension waiting room
                                              Lankum - False Lankum
                                              Bricknasty - Ina crueler
                                              Actress -LXXVII
                                              Casisdead - famous last words
                                              Sampha - Lahai
                                              Murlo - Puckle
                                              Roisin Murphy - hit parade
                                              James Holden - Imagine this is a high space....
                                              Navy blue - way of knowing
                                              Graham - Irish gold
                                              Slowthai- ugly

Last edited by eamonhonda; 01-01-24, 23:06.
                                              airport, lol

Comment

Opr I agree GG Poker come across incredibly badly on this one. I'd go as far as to say this is a way more concerning/impactful event compared to the Absolute Poker scandal, which was just naked theft from an inside superuser. The presence of this exploit really calls into question their technical design/development/ testing capabilities, and the 2 + 2 thread - with it easily highlighting suspicious win rates and potential chip dumping on top of this issue - raises serious questions about their resourcing and commitment to fraud/game integrity. In an era of RTA all of that raises huge red flags.

Online poker has been here before, a site riding roughshod over regulations and being operational in markets it ostensibly shouldn't allied to a huge product focus and quick delivery of market-leading software...

I imagine there are some very interesting conversations happening in discords and WhatsApp amongst pros who will see the obvious implications of this one off the bat. I find it very, very unlikely that this lad was the only one who identified this exploit and took advantage. Moreover, it seems likely to be the tip of the iceberg. I know you have to go where the action/fish are but surely regs on GG will have to proceed with increased caution in terms of game selection and BR management.
                                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Killer Mike - Michael
                                                  Mary wallopers - Irish rock and roll
                                                  Jazzbois - higher dimension waiting room
                                                  Lankum - False Lankum
                                                  Bricknasty - Ina crueler
                                                  Actress -LXXVII
                                                  Casisdead - famous last words
                                                  Sampha - Lahai
                                                  Murlo - Puckle
                                                  Roisin Murphy - hit parade
                                                  James Holden - Imagine this is a high space....
                                                  Navy blue - way of knowing
                                                  Graham - Irish gold
                                                  Slowthai- ugly
                                                  <best 6star imitation>

2/14

Comment

Really like that Casisdead album, looking forward to seeing him live

Comment

Past Lives was easily the best film I saw in the cinema last year.

Comment

I am rather happy to be back in work today. Not often that I say that but it feels like a break after the Christmas & New Years period.

Two days before Christmas, my Dad announced he wasn't coming to mine for Christmas Day as he didn't feel well enough. This is not our first rodeo in this regard but I've always managed to talk him round but there was no budging this time. Then Mrs Lao Lao's Dad also bailed on us as he wasn't feeling great either (has has had a period in hospital in Nov/early Dec and is still getting back on his feet) So Christmas Day was up, go for a swim at the 40' foot, drop food to the father in law, go home, start dinner, drop breakfast over to my Dad, get back home, finish and eat dinner and then on the road again to get dinner over to my Dad. Had my first drink at 8:45 pm Christmas Day

26th was spent buying a new bed along with food drops.

From the 27th until yesterday, we spent every day working in the house, sanding floors, cleaning, painting, etc. interrupted every so often to do some more Daddy Day Care activities. Every muscle and joint in my body is aching and there is still some work to be done.

Mrs Lao Lao's Dad also tested positive for Covid on the 27th (no idea how as he had hardly left the house in days.) which also added to the excitement.

The plan to move in before Christmas went out the window when the builder was clearly not going to be finished on time but wasn't really communicating that to us. The new plan is to be in for the weekend of the 13th/14th Jan although furniture we have ordered isn't due to arrive until the second week of March so it should be a fun two months.

Mrs Lao took today and tomorrow off as she had days from last year to use up so she is going solo on the house today and tomorrow. I am rather happy I used all my days in 2023

Comment

Went to the gym at lunchtime - wow it's jammed! New Year resolutions out in force. Wonder how steep the drop off will be?

Comment

I like the 538 podcasts but would really like to get my hands on some sane conservative analysis.
                                                            That's an oxymoron at the moment.
                                                            The Republicans of market solutions and small government has sold its soul to MAGA
                                                            ​​​​

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

That's an oxymoron at the moment.
                                                              The Republicans of market solutions and small government has sold its soul to MAGA
                                                              ​​​
                                                              If Haley beats De Santis to second in Iowa, then the game could be afoot. Still need some savage curveball to damage Trump though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Really like that Casisdead album, looking forward to seeing him live
                                                                Did you post a list that I missed? Let's hear them...
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Would be interested to hear people;s Top TV shows from the year?

Mine would be
                                                                  Slow Horses
                                                                  Lessons in Chemistry
                                                                  Succession
                                                                  SAS Rogue Heroes
                                                                  Yellowstone
                                                                  Queens Gambit
                                                                  Behind Her Eyes
                                                                  Laughed pretty hard at Jury Duty also, but more of a one off thing.

Didn’t enjoy The morning show or Ted Lasso’s S3 (quit after a couple eps)

Comment

For anyone doing any outdoorsy stuff on dark roads this is a great deal. Mine just arrived today.

Lights you up like a lighthouse. You actually look like a ghost in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Mine would be
                                                                      Slow Horses
                                                                      Lessons in Chemistry
                                                                      Succession
                                                                      SAS Rogue Heroes
                                                                      Yellowstone
                                                                      Queens Gambit
                                                                      Behind Her Eyes

I think Severance and Succession were the only two I finished. Dropped every other full season show that I tried to watch.

Watching the Crown makes me wonder if it should be a rule to skip the final season of a long running show .

Comment

If Haley beats De Santis to second in Iowa, then the game could be afoot. Still need some savage curveball to damage Trump though.
                                                                        Some of the big machine definitely grinding its gears for Haley. Some of the big donors in the background know how insane a Trump nomination is.
                                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Doing a Paul Giamatti double bill.
                                                                          The Holdovers is a nice little festive comedy drama set in the 80s at a private school in America.
                                                                          Followed up with Barney's Version, which is great but one of those where the less you know going in the better it hits you.
                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

Some of the big machine definitely grinding its gears for Haley. Some of the big donors in the background know how insane a Trump nomination is.
                                                                            A fragmented race suits Trump. Wouldn't surprise me if that little twerp Ramaswamy is on a promise for high office as long as he sticks around as a spoiler.

Also need De S off the card asap.

Comment

Mine would be
                                                                              Slow Horses
                                                                              Lessons in Chemistry
                                                                              Succession
                                                                              SAS Rogue Heroes
                                                                              Yellowstone
                                                                              Queens Gambit
                                                                              Behind Her Eyes

Andor,
                                                                              The Bear,
                                                                              Clarksons Farm,
                                                                              Colin from accounts,
                                                                              ​Fargo,
                                                                              Good Omens,
                                                                              House of the dragon,
                                                                              Inside No. 9,
                                                                              It's always sunny in Philadelphia,
                                                                              Jury Duty,
                                                                              The last of Us,
                                                                              Our flag means death,
                                                                              Party Down,
                                                                              Reacher,
                                                                              Rick and Morty,
                                                                              The righteous gemstones,
                                                                              SAS Rogue Heroes,
                                                                              The Sandman,
                                                                              Slow Horses,
                                                                              South Park,
                                                                              Survivor,
                                                                              Wednesday,
                                                                              Welcome to Wrexham,
                                                                              What we do in the shadows,
                                                                              The Witcher,

Archer,
                                                                              Beef,
                                                                              Barry,
                                                                              Brawn, The impossible F1 story,
                                                                              The Continental,
                                                                              Doom Patrol,
                                                                              The fall of the house of usher,
                                                                              Ghosts,
                                                                              Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy,
                                                                              How to with John Wilson,
                                                                              Justified: City Primeval,
                                                                              Loki,
                                                                              Most dangerous game,
                                                                              Reservation Dogs,
                                                                              ​​​​​Secret Invasion, (This is most definitely not top TV),
                                                                              Staged,
                                                                              Ted Lasso,
                                                                              Trainwreck: Woodstock 99,
                                                                              ​​​​​​
                                                                              I need another hobby.
                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                The Holdovers is a nice little festive comedy drama set in the 80s at a private school in America.
                                                                                Followed up with Barney's Version, which is great but one of those where the less you know going in the better it hits you.
                                                                                Paul Giamatti is brilliant in a film called 'Win Win'. If you haven't seen it, you should.

Comment

Focussing on resolutions of the financial variety first this year so just paid 10% off the mortgage (max overpayment allowed). Do that for a few years and you'll kill that suckah.

Comment

Fucking hell Micknail.

That seems excessive tv watching.

Comment

Fucking hell Micknail.

That seems excessive tv watching.
                                                                                      I know, going to focus on movies instead this year.
                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Has anyone seen Saltburn yet? I loved it, but I can imagine hitch et al hating it.

Comment

Hectorjelly we watched it over the weekend and loved it. It looks great, sounds great and has super performances. From reading reviews and the board's thread on it, it seems the "Transgressive" scenes really divided opinion. I also think some reviewers are taking it too seriously, trying to pull on threads around plot and character depth that aren't supposed to exist for a piece like this. It's all a bit whimsical, silly and shocking. And I felt it was meant to be so.

Fair play to Barry Keoghan, who will be an A-list star. He launches himself into the performance head first.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                            Has anyone seen Saltburn yet? I loved it, but I can imagine hitch et al hating it.
                                                                                            Yeah, we enjoyed it. Agree with Lloyd above that people are trying to read too much into it. Enjoyable chaos and thought Keoghan was brilliant.

Comment

Did you post a list that I missed? Let's hear them...
                                                                                              In no particular order:

Julie Byrne - The Greater Wings
                                                                                              CASisDEAD - Famous Last Words
                                                                                              DJ Shadow - Action Adventure
                                                                                              Sufjan Stevens - Javelin
                                                                                              Anohni and the Johnsons - My Back Was a Bridge for You to Cross
                                                                                              June McDoom - June McDoom
                                                                                              The Mars Volta – Que Dios Te Maldiga Mi Corazon
                                                                                              Boygenius - The Record
                                                                                              Eddie Chacon - Sundown
                                                                                              Anna B Savage - Influx

Favourite Reissue:

Satsuki Shibano - Wave Notation 3 - Erik Satie​

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

In no particular order:

Julie Byrne - The Greater Wings
                                                                                                CASisDEAD - Famous Last Words
                                                                                                DJ Shadow - Action Adventure
                                                                                                Sufjan Stevens - Javelin
                                                                                                Anohni and the Johnsons - My Back Was a Bridge for You to Cross
                                                                                                June McDoom - June McDoom
                                                                                                The Mars Volta – Que Dios Te Maldiga Mi Corazon
                                                                                                Boygenius - The Record
                                                                                                Eddie Chacon - Sundown
                                                                                                Anna B Savage - Influx

Favourite Reissue:

Satsuki Shibano - Wave Notation 3 - Erik Satie​
                                                                                                I'm a hard zero there.

Reckon you're just making this shit up though.

Comment

I'm a hard zero there.

Reckon you're just making this shit up though.
                                                                                                  If you don't know DJ Shadow then you have zero interest in modern music (ie anything after 1990), it's the equivalent of claiming to not know Pink Floyd in 1985

Comment

Best of 23 IMO

Album:: Martin Hayes and the common ground ensemble Peggy's Dream
                                                                                                    Other new releases I liked included:
                                                                                                    Lisa O'Neill, Lankum, Ye Vagabonds, Natalie Merchant , Richard Dawson.
                                                                                                    Been listening to so much of a playlist by Hannah Peel based on the Night Tracks radio show that I didn't recognise most of the names on my spotify unwrapped neber mind the genre of 'Composed Ambient'

On Radio Lyric's evening shows Blue of the night and at the Weekend Ellen Cranitch's Vespertine are always excellent

Gig: Irish chamber orchestra Schubert Death and the maiden NCH
                                                                                                    Martin Hayes, Lankum both Vicar street, Local session group in Prosperous with visitors from Durham the Wilson family.
                                                                                                    ​
                                                                                                    Film: Tar will stand up as an all time top ten movie IMO, great review of it by Zadie Smith here
                                                                                                    Anatomy Of A Fall is a superb movie.

Book: Kathrine Rundell's Super-Infinite: The Transformations of John Donne was an amazing biography and just a thumping good read.
                                                                                                    Got me reading Donne himself and lots of other poetry particularly Nick Laird and Louise Gluck
                                                                                                    Also enjoyed reading the new Mick Herron, Phillip Kerr, a few Georges Simenon and still working my way through Elena Ferrante. A Prophet song was grim but well written. Also loved Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver and finally got around to reading the amazing Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Currently reading the Bee Sting, it will probably make next years list!

Theatre: I'm sure I went a couple of times but nothing memorable!

Podcasts BBC Radio4 Start the week much more hit than miss it's often brilliant.
                                                                                                    Tim Harford's More or Less, In our time, Lex Friedman is more miss than hit , would be better if he stuck to the likes of Josha Bach who he gets the best out of.
                                                                                                    ​
                                                                                                    TV It's not exactly a golden age of TV but there was lots of good entertainment but the standout was The Sixth Commandment.
                                                                                                    Tim Spall was incredible and Eanna Hardwicke has likely destroyed his career by playing the creepiest of evil characters so brilliantly he might struggle to be cast as anything else .​

Other good shows that got overlooked were Dark Winds and Boat Story.
                                                                                                    There a resurgence in comedy drama's; Colin from Accounts, Somebody Somewhere and Reservation Dogs were all great.

Comment

If you don't know DJ Shadow then you have zero interest in modern music (ie anything after 1990), it's the equivalent of claiming to not know Pink Floyd in 1985
                                                                                                      Guilty as charged your honour

Comment

Sitting in the dock beside you, but with the mitigation of Sufjan Stevens.

Comment

They are all totally unknown to me too, which will probably be a surprise. I don't intend to rectify that either.

Comment

Sitting in the dock beside you, but with the mitigation of Sufjan Stevens.
                                                                                                            I think you mean Shakin' Stevens. Or possibly Cat.

Comment

I remember in the late 90s at a house party flaked out from happy stuff and DJ Shadow came on I actually head banged two soup spoons to the whole album of remixes , think it was the what does yer head/soul look like album . An album of two halves .

Not my genre of choice but a trippy time was had . Now my only high is when i laugh and some memories snort out my nose .
                                                                                                              ​

Comment

I think you mean Shakin' Stevens. Or possibly Cat.
                                                                                                                From Shakin to Cat is quite the jump . How about Ray ? Boogadeem bookadem.

Anyone done the Dark Side of the Rainbow thing yet. Its fun. From the 3rd Lions MGM roar in the Wizard of Oz play Dark side, fits very nicely ineed . Great fun imo

Comment

Not a clue who any band mentioned are!

DIY'ing at the minute like Lao Lao and kind of wishing I hadn't started.

Comment

You'd definitely recognise it if you heard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                                      Watched The Holdovers last night, very enjoyable. The Giamatti half-grin, half-grimace is a joy to behold.

Comment

Thought it was just ok. Was waiting for something disturbing to happen , and then had to think back at what other people might have found 'shocking'.

Favourite movies of the year were 1 Anatomy of a Fall, 2 Ballywalter, 3 Past lives. Just went to Godzilla Minus One yesterday, and while I don't think is worthy of the 98% its at on Rotten Tomatoes, it's quite an exciting romp, and well worth seeing in a cinema (even if just for the sound effects). https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/godzilla_minus_one
                                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

What was the new Philip Kerr book sp? Or was it just new to you? He died a good few years back iirc.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X