Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha, this is great, the poor oul codger..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      Haha, this is great, the poor oul codger..

Its not real. Saw a different exchange between these about saying hello in the street .

Comment

Watched possibly the most epic movie of my last decade of movie watching two nights ago. Almost a return to the great days of first discovering that Laser place on Georges Street with all the brilliant movies. Still in my head as a new all-time classic.

SPOILER
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

GGR brilliant all right. Based on a David Mamet play (think that's his name anyway)

Comment

I still remember watching GGR for the first time. The sinking feeling and sense of concealed panic Jack Lemmon conveys before the final call into the office is extraordinary. But highly rewatchable because there isn't a bad scene in there. So many killer put-downs and a quite brilliant twist.
            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Its not real. Saw a different exchange between these about saying hello in the street .
              Nothing is real these days.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                I still remember watching GGR for the first time. The sinking feeling and sense of concealed panic Jack Lemmon conveys before the final call into the office is extraordinary. But highly rewatchable because there isn't a bad scene in there. So many killer put-downs and a quite brilliant twist.
                A question:

SPOILER
                Was he trying to convey something to Al Pacino before the call into the office? I was thinking he was thinking of asking Al for help, but then realising that he is actually nothing to Al, that their relationship is all a facade.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Nothing is real these days.
                  What about Strawberry Fields ?

Comment

@hitch yeah maybe that, or maybe just wanting to say it out loud that what Pacino is now talking about can't and won't happen
                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Watched The Holdovers last night, very enjoyable. The Giamatti half-grin, half-grimace is a joy to behold.
                      The wonky eye held my attention for the movie!

Barney's (Panofsky) Version would be appreciated by you I feel, very Jewish, even has a little Israel quip near the beginning.
                      The author of the book it's based on has one of my favourite names -
                      Mordecai Richler.
                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I've two tickets to Frankie Boyle on Wednesday next week if anyone's interested? Face value ono
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I was pretty slack on new music in 2023 but below artists/albums were ones that I really enjoyed that I can think of

Soda Blonde - Dream Big
                          CMAT - Crazymad, For Me
                          Grian Chatten - Chaos For The Fly
                          Kojaque - Phantom of the Afters
                          Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy
                          PJ Harvey - I Inside The Old Year Dying
                          Christine & The Queens - Paranoia, Angels, True Love
                          Sufjan Stevens - Javelin
                          Little Simz - No Thank You
                          Boygenius - The Record
                          Jungle - Volcano
                          Slow Dive - Everything is Alive
                          King Krule - Space Heavy
                          Sleaford Mods - UK Grim
                          Janelle Monae - The Age of Pleasure
                          Mandy, Indiana - I've Seen a Way

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

The wonky eye held my attention for the movie!

Barney's (Panofsky) Version would be appreciated by you I feel, very Jewish, even has a little Israel quip near the beginning.
                            The author of the book it's based on has one of my favourite names -
                            Mordecai Richler.
                            I see it (The Holdovers) is very much in the Oscar reckoning, at least according to the NYT.

Would be fantastic to see a smaller scale production win.
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Any of you muzik geeks create a new playlist you'd like to share . Some of those lists are new to me.

Cheers.

SP that Martin Hayes stuff makes me wanna head weist .

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

If you don't know DJ Shadow then you have zero interest in modern music (ie anything after 1990), it's the equivalent of claiming to not know Pink Floyd in 1985
                                Scratch documentary is great for anyone who hasn't seen it and may be interested.
                                airport, lol

Comment

I'm a hard zero there.

Reckon you're just making this shit up though.
                                  You've defo heard of Eddie Chacon in his previous incarnation:

Official Music Video for Would I Lie To You? performed by Charles & Eddie. #WouldILieToYou #CharlesAndEddie

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

In no particular order:

Julie Byrne - The Greater Wings
                                    CASisDEAD - Famous Last Words
                                    DJ Shadow - Action Adventure
                                    Sufjan Stevens - Javelin
                                    Anohni and the Johnsons - My Back Was a Bridge for You to Cross
                                    June McDoom - June McDoom
                                    The Mars Volta – Que Dios Te Maldiga Mi Corazon
                                    Boygenius - The Record
                                    Eddie Chacon - Sundown
                                    Anna B Savage - Influx

Favourite Reissue:

Satsuki Shibano - Wave Notation 3 - Erik Satie​
                                    Eddie Chacon passed me by, have it on here and it's v nice. Our Vinyl Weighs a tonne is another great related documentary
                                    airport, lol

Comment

Yikes that bombing in Iran has all sorts of chances to escalate things in the middle east.
                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Sometimes its about the party.

As for the wee blues girly , its allabiut getting the breaks. There are many pickers superior but her youth is her selling point . Hope she kicks on from here. Its a brutal industry and shes very young.

Watching some of the singers last night made me realise the loss of Amy Winehouse even more. A rare talent.
                                        RAYE performs Escapism. at Jools' Annual Hootenanny. Watch more Later... with Jools Holland on BBC iPlayer: bbc.co.uk/iplayer. Follow @BBCLater on Twitter o...

This was quality
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Scratch documentary is great for anyone who hasn't seen it and may be interested.
                                          Yeah its amazing, saw it a few years ago

Comment

Any of you muzik geeks create a new playlist you'd like to share . Some of those lists are new to me.

Cheers.

SP that Martin Hayes stuff makes me wanna head weist .
                                            I have a series of playlists I've been collecting for at least 10 years. It's made up of tracks I discover, or rediscover/remember. Once I hit 40 tracks I start a new playlist. They are like a collection of music over time and it's great to go back to random ones and see what mood I was in, or remember the time that I was making each one.

I'm on vol 86 at the moment I think. They are all on YouTube music, possibly can be shared if made public.
                                            airport, lol

Comment

Corona's new zero beer 'Corona Cero' is a winner. Best I've tasted so far.
                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

What was the new Philip Kerr book sp? Or was it just new to you? He died a good few years back iirc.
                                                Oh yeah, I just started reading the series... It was only halfway through the second one that I found out anything about him was surprised to find he was a Scot and was writing them in the 90's it felt like the author had 'been there and done that'
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Jaysus, is it betterr than it's big brother so? Corona is absolute muck.
                                                  Last edited by Degag; 03-01-24, 20:55.

Comment

The Reps are hilarious in the US . Hanratty calling out Bidens cognitive failures whilst also accusing him of being a criminal mastermind presiding over a series of complex coverups .

Comment

I'm convinced half the reason for these zero products is that they can advertise at will at any time of the day. Probably see zero brands sponsoring sports teams soon unless that loophole is specifically blocked already.

If I'm out (lol) and not drinking, I'd have no interest in zero alcohol beer. I certainly don't drink beer for the taste of it.

Comment

The Reps are hilarious in the US . Hanratty calling out Bidens cognitive failures whilst also accusing him of being a criminal mastermind presiding over a series of complex coverups .

Remember that Fox tried to duck slander charges by insisting their programming should be considered entertainment, not news.

Comment

Remember that Fox tried to duck slander charges by insisting their programming should be considered entertainment, not news.
                                                          Though looking at some of Tucker Carlson's output since he was booted from Fox, they had him on quite a tight rein.
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

The Fox and the Duck

Well it's entertainment indeed except it's not WIDELY publicised as such so the yokels fistpump every farcical piece as truth .

Comment

It’s crazy what they will believe when clearly Obama and Clinton are the ones masterminding the coverups and blackmailing Biden to say whatever they want to avoid releasing hunter bidens laptop all so that they can push their devious both pro Israel and pro Muslim agendas for the final result of taking away American guns just as they open the boarders to swarms of cartel rapists,

Comment

The Fox and the Duck

Well it's entertainment indeed except it's not WIDELY publicised as such so the yokels fistpump every farcical piece as truth .
                                                                Who cares, really? It's not like anyone who watches this scutter is a persuadable voter. They're irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Though looking at some of Tucker Carlson's output since he was booted from Fox, they had him on quite a tight rein.
                                                                  I actually don't think Carlson is some nutcase - I think he's just happy to present himself as such on tv and get paid handsomely for the privilege.

Which is probably worse than actually being a full-on MAGA wingnut.

Comment

Who cares, really? It's not like anyone who watches this scutter is a persuadable voter. They're irrelevant.
                                                                    They are scarily relevant. Elections aside, these goons have guns , one of their offspring murdered someone and got off scott free and paraded as a poster child for MAGA. The blurred lines between fact and fiction need correcting .

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I see it (The Holdovers) is very much in the Oscar reckoning, at least according to the NYT.

Would be fantastic to see a smaller scale production win.
                                                                        It's a gem of a movie and will hopefully become a Christmas staple like It's a Wonderful Life and Die Hard.
                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                          Watched possibly the most epic movie of my last decade of movie watching two nights ago.
                                                                          Check out the 1996 American Buffalo with Dustin Hoffman as a great filmed Mamet play. Last time I watched it I had to do it on ok.ru I think.

Comment

They are scarily relevant. Elections aside, these goons have guns , one of their offspring murdered someone and got off scott free and paraded as a poster child for MAGA. The blurred lines between fact and fiction need correcting .
                                                                            Leave it to the yanks.

Our job is to work out how to profit.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                              So I'm done.
                                                                              Offically out the door 14 Jan. I've 23 days of holidays accrued...so finished Monday after a few panicked calls with London and Mumbai (who knew v little of all this)
                                                                              Unpaid will be paid 3 days. 14th -end Jan ex gratia. All4One type thing of a few quid.
                                                                              Keep the hardware. Healthcare kept till end Jan.
                                                                              Option to sell shares for CGT annual exemption limit....
                                                                              Interesting 48 hours on the job hunt.
                                                                              As RichieM said, it seems people are hiring again.
                                                                              The big thing is looking like the ability to sit on my hands and not take the 1st thing in the door, which goes against the core of my upbringing

As for the current place, I've decided to keep my equity, the offer of CGT threshold was a little insulting tbh, and I do have silly stonks elsewhere that I may want to cash at some stage.
                                                                              Also, it means I have to be invited to AGM each year
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Know 'I Am Pilgrim' got a bit of love on here a while back. Just in the process of finishing off Terry Hayes' follow-up 'Year Of The Locust' and it's some mess. Feels like he was chugging along and figured halfway through that he was pretty much doing a rehash of the previous book and decided to change genres instead of trying to refine what he started with.

Comment

Not sure if there'd be any interest here but got some interest in a draw for a €600 Galway ticket for this weekend. 30 tickets at €20 per entry. €600 with the name of the winner transferred to Fintan Gavin for registration at the event.

Will leave it open until 8pm tomorrow evening unless it fills before then and there's 2 main event flights on Saturday at 12pm and 5pm. 7 entries in and paid so far. Payment on revolut.

revolut.me/samdobbins

Comment

Anyone been to Turin? Recommend - yay/nay?

Comment

Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

It's a gem of a movie and will hopefully become a Christmas staple like It's a Wonderful Life and Die Hard.
                                                                                        Where are people watching it? It's not in cinemas here until the 19th Jan.

Comment

Hitch went to Turin once. I got a phone call from his number at 8pm in the evening. An American tourist on the other end. Hitch was in a spot of bother with the locals after an all day bender and this American came to his aid. He'd manage to mumble my name and to call me in between bouts of consciousness. Guy thought I was there with him, had to explain I was in Ireland and told him what Hitch was like and the guy goes, ah that makes sense

Was a weird phone call to get all the same. All ended OK

Comment

Where are people watching it? It's not in cinemas here until the 19th Jan.
                                                                                            Cousins tv

Icky sent you a PM.
                                                                                            Last edited by Micknail; 04-01-24, 16:55.
                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                              Not sure if there'd be any interest here but got some interest in a draw for a €600 Galway ticket for this weekend. 30 tickets at €20 per entry. €600 with the name of the winner transferred to Fintan Gavin for registration at the event.

Will leave it open until 8pm tomorrow evening unless it fills before then and there's 2 main event flights on Saturday at 12pm and 5pm. 7 entries in and paid so far. Payment on revolut.

revolut.me/samdobbins
                                                                                              If anyone is entering this, please leave your name as a reference. I have received payment from someone who did not leave their name. The last 4 digits of the card used to send the €20 are visible on revolut so if this was you, please let me know.

Comment

What's the best AI tool for working with books and large docs? Is there anything specialised that beats chatgpt 4?

Comment

Any recommendations for a decent late lunch early dinner in the city centre. Nearish to the Liffey/Temple Bar?

Comment

Iago dig out that old Jack the Lad t-shirt and go support Ireland in the Olympic qualifiers in Valecia next week.
                                                                                                    If in doubt, go watch the ladies as they'll be nicer to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                      Any recommendations for a decent late lunch early dinner in the city centre. Nearish to the Liffey/Temple Bar?
                                                                                                      Try the Korean canteen in the back of Han Sung supermarket
                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Iago dig out that old Jack the Lad t-shirt and go support Ireland in the Olympic qualifiers in Valecia next week.
                                                                                                        If in doubt, go watch the ladies as they'll be nicer to look at.
                                                                                                        Raoul Duke III nice one. Bought a day ticket for the 15th as both mens and womens team are on that day. 4 games for €20 not to be sniffed at. If they get out of the groups we might go to one of the knockout days.
                                                                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

Raoul Duke III nice one. Bought a day ticket for the 15th as both mens and womens team are on that day. 4 games for €20 not to be sniffed at. If they get out of the groups we might go to one of the knockout days.
                                                                                                          Korea vs Belgium in the ladies probably the pick of the games that day.

As I'm assuming you haven't been to many hockey tournaments, the big things to remember are:
                                                                                                          • you can only score from inside the circle
                                                                                                          • no offside
                                                                                                          • ball in the air is fine unless dangerous
                                                                                                          • ball touching feet is a free
                                                                                                          • three levels of cards, all of them get you removed from play
                                                                                                          • chanting 'you're going home in an ambulance', 'the referees a wanker' and other such witticisms will earn you vast levels of appreciation from the other spectators. They may not show it but they'll definitely appreciate the hell out of you.
                                                                                                          • throw beer bottles at the players, they like that
                                                                                                          • streaking is actively expected

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                            Opr I agree GG Poker come across incredibly badly on this one. I'd go as far as to say this is a way more concerning/impactful event compared to the Absolute Poker scandal, which was just naked theft from an inside superuser. The presence of this exploit really calls into question their technical design/development/ testing capabilities, and the 2 + 2 thread - with it easily highlighting suspicious win rates and potential chip dumping on top of this issue - raises serious questions about their resourcing and commitment to fraud/game integrity. In an era of RTA all of that raises huge red flags.

Online poker has been here before, a site riding roughshod over regulations and being operational in markets it ostensibly shouldn't allied to a huge product focus and quick delivery of market-leading software...

I imagine there are some very interesting conversations happening in discords and WhatsApp amongst pros who will see the obvious implications of this one off the bat. I find it very, very unlikely that this lad was the only one who identified this exploit and took advantage. Moreover, it seems likely to be the tip of the iceberg. I know you have to go where the action/fish are but surely regs on GG will have to proceed with increased caution in terms of game selection and BR management.
                                                                                                            Between RTA, card sharing, unregulated markets, bot farms, superusers, online teams it feels like it should be completely untenable for it to survive much longer. It is though surprising how many people are still willing to play online. I would have thought at this point it would be a wasteland.

I feel like the vast majority of players are aware of this truth but still play if they feel like they have a win rate. We have reached a point where the cheating is so endemic that if you are playing online you almost can't complain if you are getting cheated.

caveat emptor

Comment

Bit of a movie run of late, as watched Spirited Away last night en famille. Had always shied away from it as it was an animation and with the added threat that it might be a serious animation at that (its not, well not really). But jesus christ on a bike it is easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. Whole family rapt to the screen for every single moment. Like, its just an astonishing achievement. See its ranked 32 on the IMDB best movies of all time list.

Spirited_Away_Japanese_poster.png

Comment

I have deffo more rigged vibes playing live than online . Would love to be hitting Galway this weekend but alas my brownie points are spent for music trip to Glasgow on the 19th . Get to see goddess Molly Tuttle in the flesh and not forgetting Tommy Emmanuel the main Event.

Incidentally Tommy coming to Vicar Street early feb . Highly recommended the gig..

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                  Bit of a movie run of late, as watched Spirited Away last night en famille. Had always shied away from it as it was an animation and with the added threat that it might be a serious animation at that (its not, well not really). But jesus christ on a bike it is easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. Whole family rapt to the screen for every single moment. Like, its just an astonishing achievement. See its ranked 32 on the IMDB best movies of all time list.

Spirited_Away_Japanese_poster.png
                                                                                                                  His latest (and likely last) one is in cinemas at the moment. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6587046...nm_flmg_t_1_dr

Comment

His latest (and likely last) one is in cinemas at the moment. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6587046...nm_flmg_t_1_dr
                                                                                                                    Saw that and enjoyed it (since when does the Savoy have electric recliner seats - nice!), preferred films like Spirited away and Princess Mononoke though

Congrats to Hitch for unlucking Studio Ghibli. I'd also watch Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies (if you want your heart hurt bad), both of these are in the IMDB top 100 of all time as well.

Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle, Arietty, From Up on poppy Hill, My Neighbour Totoro, The Wind Rises, Whisper of the Heart, When Marnie was There...at this point I'm just naming the filmography, they're all good. A non Studio Ghibli one to watch is "Your Name".​​

Comment

Speaking of, new show dropped on Netflix recently, Loudermilk, few years old but new to me, was really impressed, binged first 5 episodes last night.

This too shall pass.

Comment

Another one. Four part mini series, 'Mr Bates vs The Post Office' was on ITV over the last few nights and is really enjoyable. True story behind the post office prosecuting its own staff for stealing money in hundreds of branches across England when it was the new faulty computer system they had installed. Crazy to think they are still fighting this in courts today to try and get settlements to help put their lives back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                                          Another one. Four part mini series, 'Mr Bates vs The Post Office' was on ITV over the last few nights and is really enjoyable. True story behind the post office prosecuting its own staff for stealing money in hundreds of branches across England when it was the new faulty computer system they had installed. Crazy to think they are still fighting this in courts today to try and get settlements to help put their lives back together.
                                                                                                                          I started A Spy Among Friends last night. Superb cast and a strong start.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X