X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

GL today.
    Very excited!

Tommies Call going in at the deep end against what looks like a very strong field. He's in great form and all indications are that he's a proper horse.Two worries are the stable form and the ground might be too soft... A bit soft!!! I'm already bogged down in the car park waiting for a tractor to tow me out !

Huge amount of money for the fav , it's a pity that there are only 7runners now so we value is not at good as it looked ... I'll settle for coming home safe with the dream still alive

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

That was too bad too be true, hopefully there is no harm done and the road ahead will have some better days for him.
        tough game.

Comment

On a drive last week I just randomly stuck on this RTE Doc on One podcast 'Skyhope' and it was bloody fantastic. A gorgeous little yarn, very well told.
          Highly recommend.

A giant ship gets stuck at a Co.Kerry village pier. It brings with it exotic fun and a dreadful disaster.

In 1977, a giant ship named Skyhope paid a visit to the west Kerry village of Baile na nGall or Ballydavid. The ship was calling into the village on the promise of a few pints having helped out some local fishermen. Their overnight stay turned into a week-long stay which brought great crowds to the village and fantastic exotic fun. But ultimately, the visit took a turn for the worst, resulting in an incident no one could have imagined... Narrated by Sinéad Ní Uallacháin. Produced by Ronan Kelly. (2023)
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Here's a better link to it, that one is prob only good if you've got Pocketcasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              Here's a better link to it, that one is prob only good if you've got Pocketcasts.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/doconone/1411831-skyhope
              Good listen that. They knew how to party in the 70s... apart from the meat cleaver in head bit.

Comment

Ben Dunne is done, rip. His having to be talked down from his cocaine high in the US, with a hooker in tow, was a bit of a defining moment for Ireland imo. Showed we could mix it up with the best of them. Picked up a vague sense that he turned into quite an enlightened leader in his older age. Just little stories here and there about how he protected workers during covid, wanted cycle lanes. Could be misremembering those stories though.
                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  Ben Dunne is done, rip. His having to be talked down from his cocaine high in the US, with a hooker in tow, was a bit of a defining moment for Ireland imo. Showed we could mix it up with the best of them. Picked up a vague sense that he turned into quite an enlightened leader in his older age. Just little stories here and there about how he protected workers during covid, wanted cycle lanes. Could be misremembering those stories though.
                  Always remember his 'If you don't know, vote No' shit during the Nice treaty referendum.

Annoyed the bollix out of me that. I remember roaring at the radio 'IF YOU DON'T KNOW FIND OUT YOU FUCKHEAD'

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Good listen that. They knew how to party in the 70s... apart from the meat cleaver in head bit.
                    Mad wasn't it

Comment

Ben There Dunne that bought the Taoiseach.

Charlie helped him out ironically

Comment

The sound of a billion people going quiet...
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'm open to being corrected but wasn't this the original deal rejected by Bibi over a week ago?
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Or not, but was a good swong while it lasted. Hopefully the Aussies actually give India a game in the final.
                            Didn't see this coming I have to say.

Serves India right for naming the stadium after the sitting Prime Minister.

Comment

One for SP

Screenshot_20231119_151502_WhatsApp.jpg

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                  Snap

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I'm open to being corrected but wasn't this the original deal rejected by Bibi over a week ago?
                                      If you are right then the implication is that holding hostages in hospitals is a winning tactic.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

If you are right then the implication is that holding hostages in hospitals is a winning tactic.
                                        In a sea of bad takes over the last few weeks, this stands out.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

In a sea of bad takes over the last few weeks, this stands out.

Was in your Turkish cafe/restaurant in Leixlip. Had to doggy bag the grub . Stuffed . Lovely hangover feast. Thumbs up.

Comment

Is there more context to this or it as bad as it looks?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                              Is there more context to this or it as bad as it looks?

Apparently he was off the stage and shaking hands with the Australian squad. Just looks like messed up choreography.

Comment

A visit up North for the weekend.

It does feel slightly like you are stepping back in time, all the way down to scones being the choice on offer for mid-morning snack as opposed to the maple-pecan plaits to which we have become so accustomed.

Belfast, though, feels very well designed. As in, Cork feels like a country-town that grew too big, while Belfast feels like a city that just isn't quite big enough yet.

Popped up to Glenariff ('Queen of the Glens') Park, if you are ever in the Northern Antrim area - what a fine setting.

Comment

This looks amazing!

Comment

Managed to get over 5 years out of the old bike, but it's now definitely gone past the law of diminishing returns in terms of repairs and replacements.

Any of the cyclo-commuters got any tips for a durable commuter bike (not an e-bike)? General usage is 4 * 5km commutes p/w so don't need anything too fancy.

Comment

Finally a bit of cop-on with unemployment benefit. From sometime next year, will be able to claim up to €1,800 for the first three months on unemployment (vs about half that now).

Workers who lose their jobs will get pay-related benefits for up to nine months after they become unemployed, under a plan being brought to the Cabinet.

A revised version of the significant reform of the welfare system will introduce a graduated system of payments to support workers who suddenly become unemployed. But it will also seek to encourage them to return to work.

As part of the three-stage process, unemployed workers will initially be paid 60pc of their previous earnings, or up to €450 per week for up to three months after they lose their job. It was originally proposed that this payment would last for six months. However, following high-level government talks, it has been decided to reduce the term for the top payment to three months and gradually taper the enhanced state benefits over nine months.

After the first three-month period, the payment will reduce to 55pc of earnings, or up to €375 per week, and this will last for a further three months.

If a person still has not found employment, they will get 50pc of their earnings up to €300 for a final three months.

Comment

Finally a bit of cop-on with unemployment benefit. From sometime next year, will be able to claim up to €1,800 for the first three months on unemployment (vs about half that now).
                                                        Is it capped at €450 p/w, or at 60% of previous earnings? (pretty big difference)

Comment

Went to a Restaurant and got a platter for 2. I failed to consider the missus will not pull her weight and didn’t eat her fair share of the platter and I was left with the daunting task of tackling what was really a platter for 3. (HUGE) see pic. It was a man against food battle that left me somewhat defeated. A 1st for me as I’m usually standing on the table holding my empty plate aloft demanding more and mocking the folk struggling with their remnants. When I got home I stepped on the scales. I’m not sure I’ve ever put on some much weight on in one day. I’ve not eaten since this meal and my stomach still feels like I got head butted by an angry goat. And now another 1st. TMI maybe but we are all medically curious here so I’ll go on - I was not able for my morning crap. I don’t think even Mr Scotty could get my Digestive System firing again . See photo, I will never allow myself to be isolated like this again, fool me once. It would be an excellent choice for a last meal on death row. You just want to die afterward.

Screenshot_20231120_102440_Gallery.jpg

Comment

Fk you deadparrot

Comment

Getting old Solks if you couldn't handle that starter

Comment

where is that Solks, that looks like my kinda place

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
                                                                  where is that Solks, that looks like my kinda place
                                                                  Recommend by DP.

Deniz Turkish Restaurant IN leixlip

Was delish in fairness.

Comment

Is it capped at €450 p/w, or at 60% of previous earnings? (pretty big difference)
                                                                    60% up to €450.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer!
                                                                      Recommend by DP.

Deniz Turkish Restaurant IN leixlip

Was delish in fairness.
                                                                      It's fantastic. I got lunch and dinner for 2 out of the leftovers on our attempt. (Leixslip platter for €50ish).
                                                                      I think they do some bigger ones too.
                                                                      Last edited by DeadParrot; 20-11-23, 11:32.

Comment

60% up to €450.
                                                                        that's what I suspected - nowhere near as attractive as continental schemes! Although in a full employment economy, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Comment

that's what I suspected - nowhere near as attractive as continental schemes! Although in a full employment economy, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
                                                                          yeah - i guess its more that it establishes the principle that it should be linked to income, and we can let future politicians tinker with it further if they want to win votes.

Comment

Bought a Trek bike as the replacement, found a shop that had the one I wanted at a suspiciously large discount.

I reckon if you're cycling 4/5 times a week and you get 5 years out of a bike without it being either robbed or destroyed by shitty roads, you're doing OK.

Comment

Was thinking of going to one of those evening Christmas lights shows. Dublin Zoo / Malahide Castle being the two main ones. Apparently Dublin Zoo is wrecked as they fit too many people in. So Malahide Castle it is. Click ... click .... click on the website - that'll be €120, please. wtf is wrong with people. Someone call Joe, will ye?

Comment

Was thinking of going to one of those evening Christmas lights shows. Dublin Zoo / Malahide Castle being the two main ones. Apparently Dublin Zoo is wrecked as they fit too many people in. So Malahide Castle it is. Click ... click .... click on the website - that'll be €120, please. wtf is wrong with people. Someone call Joe, will ye?
                                                                                100% don’t go to either. A complete waste of money. (Did the Zoo one a few years ago and no idea on MC but can’t imagine it’s any better)
                                                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I hope you didn't buy it. I went last year and it was absolutely awful

Comment

Booked dinner in the Chapter One old boys club that is Kickys (well reviewed at the weekend) in....February. First date I could get a dinner reservation that suited. We're back.

Comment

No, didn't book in the end. Just amazed at the prices tbh. On a different but similar note, was in a takeaway in IFSC last week to grab a quick burger. They were all €18 or thereabouts. Think chips were extra. Like, thats just for takeaway. I know there has been inflation and all that jazz, but I'm not sure wages have kept up to the extent that you could have that type of thing on a regular lunch basis. I wonder have some of these places got a bit carried away with what is feasible. Especially for discretionary sale items at a time when most people have experienced a net loss of living standards comparing their inflation-based pay increases with inflation-adjusted prices.

Comment

Bought a Trek bike as the replacement, found a shop that had the one I wanted at a suspiciously large discount.

I reckon if you're cycling 4/5 times a week and you get 5 years out of a bike without it being either robbed or destroyed by shitty roads, you're doing OK.
                                                                                        Had my bike paid back within 6 months with savings, but the real payoff comes when you're hit by a car.

Comment

Booked dinner in the Chapter One old boys club that is Kickys (well reviewed at the weekend) in....February. First date I could get a dinner reservation that suited. We're back.
                                                                                          I'm heading there for lunch in 2 weeks. Will report. Thought the name was brutal, but have since learned its in tribute to someone.

Comment

Saw the reviews at the weekend and was thinking - thats exactly the type of boring french crap that corporate drones will overpay for in their droves

Edit: and physics profs

Comment

Saw the reviews at the weekend and was thinking - thats exactly the type of boring french crap that corporate drones will overpay for in their droves

Edit: and physics profs
                                                                                              It isn't a French menu.

Reads more like Irish\Italian.

Comment

Always been a fan of his work...also went to the same school. Gotta support the locals!

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Had my bike paid back within 6 months with savings, but the real payoff comes when you're hit by a car.
                                                                                                  Noted. If you're volunteering to stage an accident, I'm in (as long as I don't actually get hurt ofc. 'whiplash! whiiiiiiiiiiiplaaaaaaaash!').

I guess the payback is €4 a day (in terms of DART costs) but it's really more health benefits and time commuting.

Bike is 750 so let's say about 200 commuting days for monetary payback, About 1.5 years-ish. Used up my Bike2Work allowance this year on buying Child #2 a new bike.

Comment

It isn't a French menu.

Reads more like Irish\Italian.

hmm. a rare hit and a miss from me. I saw some videos at the weekend of some fancy new restaurant where everyone was raving about something very mundane - like a piece of meat that was well-cooked. assumed that was it. but the menu on the website does look extremely Italian. Like an Irish version of Jamie's Italian.

Comment

hmm. a rare hit and a miss from me. I saw some videos at the weekend of some fancy new restaurant where everyone was raving about something very mundane - like a piece of meat that was well-cooked. assumed that was it. but the menu on the website does look extremely Italian. Like an Irish version of Jamie's Italian.
                                                                                                      I also booked La Gordita* for a return visit in January. That was fantastic the only time I've been there.

*Also not French, although very much one for overpaid corporate drones.

Comment

Xmas lights at Kildare Village are always very well done. Of course, in all likelihood the whole day will cost more than 120e but at least the lights are free.

Comment

It was so suspiciously well-priced that they just mailed me back to say it's out of stock (having taken my order earlier online), FFS timewasters.

Comment

Specialized do a good bike. My wife's first B2W from 8-9 years ago is currently my daughter's school chariot despite zero care being taken of it, and she commuted regularly to D4 and back.

Comment

My bike is specialized, love it.

1323093643221-wxrypln5jhec-4a7d2a1.jpg?quality=90&resize=768,574.jpg

Top piece of kit and it looks great. Don't use it any more so must sell it.
                                                                                                              They really don't need much care or maintenance, and are pretty zippy.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                Always been a fan of his work...also went to the same school. Gotta support the locals!

Haven't even tried to get a booking yet but it's definetely on the list for next year. I'm hoping Mrs Lao Lao already has it organised for my birthday in January

The stuff he did on Instagram during lockdown was nothing short of fantastic.

I went to the pop up he did in Orwell Road last year and he comes across as a genuinely lovely fella. Really hope this place goes well for him.

His missus is called Ciara - Not sure if Kicky is a nickname for her or if there is another connection?

Comment

unwaxed lemon butter
                                                                                                                  GTFO

Comment

No, didn't book in the end. Just amazed at the prices tbh. On a different but similar note, was in a takeaway in IFSC last week to grab a quick burger. They were all €18 or thereabouts. Think chips were extra. Like, thats just for takeaway. I know there has been inflation and all that jazz, but I'm not sure wages have kept up to the extent that you could have that type of thing on a regular lunch basis. I wonder have some of these places got a bit carried away with what is feasible. Especially for discretionary sale items at a time when most people have experienced a net loss of living standards comparing their inflation-based pay increases with inflation-adjusted prices.
                                                                                                                    €18 for a burger...faacking ell

Thought my local pizzeria was bad €15.50 for a pizza (sourdough) and they give you a "free" can of coke or mineral as they were know in Strewel s days and auld fellas called them minnariddles
                                                                                                                    "Eh . Can not have the coke and pay less for the pizza"

No it's free

Or the classic "free delivery" that PHD used to offer
                                                                                                                    Pizza delivered - 14

Collect same Pizza - 12

"You'll have to take that up with the manager sir" was the response I got to my investigation on that one

Comment

5 years

For that kind of use if you are getting it serviced every other years iny sort of bike should be seeing you out.

Not being stolen in that time is a major miracle though.

It really shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to make bike theft something that is not worth doing, with a mix of technology and OTT punitive punishment should do the trick.

Comment

Going Saturday week for a long lunch with my siblings
                                                                                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I went to order a pizza last week. Base is my go to and a large Torino is the order.

They were always expensive compared to other pizza places but I'd only be ordering every so often so no big deal.

I normally call and pay over the phone so I can't remember the exact price the last time I ordered but I think it was 21.50 or 22 including delivery. This time, I went online to order and their prices have gone up. Including delivery, it was 25 euro. And that's just for one pizza.

I actually didn't order it in the end. The extra 3 quid or so is irrelevant but I just thought, you're taking the pisss now with that price.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X