X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
    Sam Altman fired from OpenAI - nobody seems to know why
    It impossible to keep up with all the drama surrounding this currently. It looks like some kind of mutiny gone wrong and the rest of the crew have banded together to take back the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I went to order a pizza last week. Base is my go to and a large Torino is the order.

They were always expensive compared to other pizza places but I'd only be ordering every so often so no big deal.

I normally call and pay over the phone so I can't remember the exact price the last time I ordered but I think it was 21.50 or 22 including delivery. This time, I went online to order and their prices have gone up. Including delivery, it was 25 euro. And that's just for one pizza.

I actually didn't order it in the end. The extra 3 quid or so is irrelevant but I just thought, you're taking the pisss now with that price.
      Buy an Ooni. Never order pizza again.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Instead, decide you want pizza 6 hours before you want it, destroy the kitchen, and go outside in all weathers to cook it! By the way, Im not disagreeing, this is actually preferable to ordering pizza in almost every way. If I was feeling lazy, I would have a Goodfellas over a deliver pizza for reasons of both consistency and price.

Is anyone else very odd with money like that? I will routinely spend a lot on the stupidest shit, but wont buy the London Essence Co. tonic cans unless they're discounted to €4 in Tesco from the regular €6.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
          Instead, decide you want pizza 6 hours before you want it, destroy the kitchen, and go outside in all weathers to cook it! By the way, Im not disagreeing, this is actually preferable to ordering pizza in almost every way. If I was feeling lazy, I would have a Goodfellas over a deliver pizza for reasons of both consistency and price.
          Probably 4 hours tbf.

Usually make sauce in bulk so there's some ready to go at short notice.

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
          Is anyone else very odd with money like that? I will routinely spend a lot on the stupidest shit, but wont buy the London Essence Co. tonic cans unless they're discounted to €4 in Tesco from the regular €6.
          Everyone is odd with money, although I've noticed post-covid and with impending old age (looking forward to ranting about milk and passports), I've very much gone to a default state of 'fuck it, YOLO' as my excuse for most purchases.

Comment

I went to order a pizza last week. Base is my go to and a large Torino is the order.

They were always expensive compared to other pizza places but I'd only be ordering every so often so no big deal.

I normally call and pay over the phone so I can't remember the exact price the last time I ordered but I think it was 21.50 or 22 including delivery. This time, I went online to order and their prices have gone up. Including delivery, it was 25 euro. And that's just for one pizza.

I actually didn't order it in the end. The extra 3 quid or so is irrelevant but I just thought, you're taking the pisss now with that price.

Ha, thats it exactly. Its just edged into lunacy. Had a meal in Larkins in Newry - surely familiar to anyone who does a shopping trip up there, and it was outstanding, but I did an actual cartoon character double-take when they claimed we owed them a grand total of £35 for the meal. The minimum wage isn't really any different North-vs-South so its something else going on with Southern pricing. Not sure rental rates have risen that much either. It must be just some crowds taking the piss and all we can do is dial back the dining out until they feel a bit of stress and cop on.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Mon, 20th:
              Range Length Activity Classified
              Wake 06:45
              06:45-07:00 0:15 Reading on phone Waste
              07:00-08:00 1:00 Getting ready, Max to school Life
              08:00-08:30 0:30 Breakfast Life
              08:30-09:00 0:30 Watched video on AI Work - Peripheral
              09:00-10:00 1:00 Mainly admin (25% work on business idea) Work - Peripheral
              10:00-11:30 1:30 Research meeting online Work - Other
              11:30-14:00 2:30 Reading websites, lunch. quite a lot of time wasted Waste / Life (30min)
              14:00-15:30 1:30 Working on website Work - Core
              15:30-16:30 1:00 Gym Life - Progress
              16:30-18:00 1:30 Getting Max from school, post school stuff Life
              18:00-19:30 1:30 Dinner and show Life
              19:30-20:30 1:00 Neighbour re planning permission Life - Progress
              20:30-21:00 0:30 Messing on phone Waste
              21:00-22:00 1:00 Emails Work - Other
              22:00-23:00 1:00 Non-fiction book Work - Peripheral
              23:00-00:00 1:00 Fiction book Life
              Categories Life 6:00 33.80%
              Life - Progress 2:00 11.27%
              Work - Other 2:30 14.08%
              Work - Peripheral 2:30 14.08%
              Work - Core 1:30 08.45%
              Waste 2:45 15.49%
              Total 17:45
              Other observations:
              - A lot of the better ideas related to work-core happened in different parts of the day to the Work-Core part

Trying to keep an hourly-journal this week to see why I always seem to be a bit behind on the things I really want to do. Fuck me, the first day's chart is a bit depressing. Like, the actual key thing I wanted to get done was the lowest category of time allocation.
              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 20-11-23, 22:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                On a drive last week I just randomly stuck on this RTE Doc on One podcast 'Skyhope' and it was bloody fantastic. A gorgeous little yarn, very well told.
                Highly recommend.

A giant ship gets stuck at a Co.Kerry village pier. It brings with it exotic fun and a dreadful disaster.

This was deadly

Comment

08:23-08:24. Scolded Hitch for quoting his daily tasks to two decimal places while using 1 hour buckets. Work-peripheral.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    Mon, 20th:
                    Range Length Activity Classified
                    Wake 06:45
                    06:45-07:00 0:15 Reading on phone Waste
                    07:00-08:00 1:00 Getting ready, Max to school Life
                    08:00-08:30 0:30 Breakfast Life
                    08:30-09:00 0:30 Watched video on AI Work - Peripheral
                    09:00-10:00 1:00 Mainly admin (25% work on business idea) Work - Peripheral
                    10:00-11:30 1:30 Research meeting online Work - Other
                    11:30-14:00 2:30 Reading websites, lunch. quite a lot of time wasted Waste / Life (30min)
                    14:00-15:30 1:30 Working on website Work - Core
                    15:30-16:30 1:00 Gym Life - Progress
                    16:30-18:00 1:30 Getting Max from school, post school stuff Life
                    18:00-19:30 1:30 Dinner and show Life
                    19:30-20:30 1:00 Neighbour re planning permission Life - Progress
                    20:30-21:00 0:30 Messing on phone Waste
                    21:00-22:00 1:00 Emails Work - Other
                    22:00-23:00 1:00 Non-fiction book Work - Peripheral
                    23:00-00:00 1:00 Fiction book Life
                    Categories Life 6:00 33.80%
                    Life - Progress 2:00 11.27%
                    Work - Other 2:30 14.08%
                    Work - Peripheral 2:30 14.08%
                    Work - Core 1:30 08.45%
                    Waste 2:45 15.49%
                    Total 17:45
                    Other observations:
                    - A lot of the better ideas related to work-core happened in different parts of the day to the Work-Core part

Trying to keep an hourly-journal this week to see why I always seem to be a bit behind on the things I really want to do. Fuck me, the first day's chart is a bit depressing. Like, the actual key thing I wanted to get done was the lowest category of time allocation.

Actually an excellent idea this .
                    A top class teacher I had did this with our class preparing us for our leaving Cert year. (This was back in 86 )
                    I had a 3 hour slot of TV which he encircled with red marker!

I would guess I waste a shocking amount of time.
                    ​​​​​

Comment

Base now do a series of offers depending on day of week
                      Usually works out 10-12 for a large pizza Monday-Wednesday but you have to take whatever the offer is.
                      Which is a shame cause their honey bee is phenomenonal but you simply cannot justify the price.
                      ​​​​
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Actually an excellent idea this .
                        A top class teacher I had did this with our class preparing us for our leaving Cert year. (This was back in 86 )
                        I had a 3 hour slot of TV which he encircled with red marker!

I would guess I waste a shocking amount of time.
                        ​​​​​
                        I generally have my best work related ideas and solutions bubble up in this time.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I generally have my best work related ideas and solutions bubble up in this time.
                          Well I've been awake since 7 and the only thing that's bubbled up is on its way to a treatment plant!

Comment

Made it into work safe....only 4 traffic anomalies this am
                            young one on escooter breaks red without checking left or right once ...pedestrian steps out from behind van again doesn't even glance right .....cyclist similiar
                            The coup de grace was I'm heading into Clondalkin and taxi just makes a right turn directly across my path ..literally didn't even look at oncoming traffic ..hit the brakes and so did she when she finally realised I better make sure nothings coming!
                            I let her continue the turn just in case there was another fuck up

I dunno

Comment

young one on escooter breaks red without checking left or right once ...pedestrian steps out from behind van again doesn't even glance right .....cyclist similiar
                              The coup de grace was I'm heading into Clondalkin and taxi just makes a right turn directly across my path ..literally didn't even look at oncoming traffic ..hit the brakes and so did she when she finally realised I better make sure nothings coming!

I dunno
                              You should put a heart monitor on while driving imo.

Comment

Get yourself something like this hitch.

Just don't pay that inflated price

Comment

Have an infestation of Silverfish in the house. Has anyone had success in getting rid?
                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I dunno
                                    One of the reasons I don’t admire the top racing car drivers that much is the M50 commute. I think it should be mandatory to have a few beers or a betablocker (for teetotallers) before attempting to navigate the daily free for all, otherwise your nerves be gone. The last minute decisions at break neck speed keep my reflexes as sharp as a knife as I don’t always predict what will happen next. The White Vans battling each other for right lane supremacy is something David Attenborough should be commenting on. I remember overtaking a couple of weeks ago in the lashing or rain, I checked behind before moving and ZERO coming . Just as I changed lane , I was Elephant charged by a car doing 130/140 coming up fast flashing lights and car horn roaring . WTF, of course my stay in that late was extended to punish the divil. So that made me part of the problem. No blue flag waved, not moving, but really due to aggressive bullying. I’ve personally witnessed 2 potential fatal crashes . One car spun one year after clipping whilst moving from the fast lane down just as another was moving up. Several cars Jammed on and zero serious damage, some bumpers stuff but the ejits were now facing South as opposed to North . Mayhem was building in my rear view window. The other crash was simply some guy not slowing down as traffic congestion built. He managed to sideways spin into the verge beside the hard shoulder. I didn’t catch the aftermath but I couple smell his trousers as I was driving past. It probably casts a dark shadow on my humanity that I was slightly disappointed he got out without some kind of smashed up limb. I made my peace with allah over that one.

Comment

Have an infestation of Silverfish in the house. Has anyone had success in getting rid?
                                      I chase them and squeeze them like a zIt. I miss being 18 , what fun that was.

Comment

Warning: long but a very good read about the various Israeli-Palestinian peace processes and why they failed.
                                        With the hindsight of today, Camp David was clearly a great deal for both sides. Slick Willy Clinton must have been doing his nut as that fell apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You should put a heart monitor on while driving imo.
                                          That's just like your opinion, man

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I chase them and squeeze them like a zIt. I miss being 18 , what fun that was.
                                            They're fast little bastards

Comment

If the link above was fcuked, try this.

Comment

Had them in an apartment, tried loads of things that I found online that didn’t work.

I was redoing the bathroom and changed the carpets at the same time but still has to get someone in to kill them in the end.

Comment

No wonder HH is so unfocused ...he only gets 6 1/4 hours sleep

Comment

Id pay good money for that .

Comment

Spot the man that doesn't live with little terrorists.

Comment

Think there needs to be a further sub-division of Life. Something like 'Life - Drudgery', just regular crap, and then 'Life - Memorable' - stuff like reading books to kids etc or maybe even nice meals, fun new shows. Essentially non-repetitious, or valuable life time vs just loading up on carbs or doing the washing.

Comment

6 for a man, 7 for a woman, 8 for a fool.

At least I tell myself that these days

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Spot the man that doesn't live with little terrorists.
                                                            That’s harsh on silverfish tbh

Comment

Essential oil like peppermint or Diatomaceous earth along the skirting.
                                                              Don't kill the spiderbros as they chomp on silverfish

Comment

I like a good 8:30-9 hrs. Lights out at 11:00, up around 7:45.

Comment

If the link above was fcuked, try this.
                                                                  None paywalled version

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Had them in an apartment, tried loads of things that I found online that didn’t work.

I was redoing the bathroom and changed the carpets at the same time but still has to get someone in to kill them in the end.
                                                                    Ah shit, was hoping I didn't have to go down the pest control route. What was involved with that Richie?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Essential oil like peppermint or Diatomaceous earth along the skirting.
                                                                      Don't kill the spiderbros as they chomp on silverfish
                                                                      I'll try that DP, cheers.

Oh I always leave the oul spiders in peace.

Comment

I'll try that DP, cheers.

Oh I always leave the oul spiders in peace.
                                                                        Leave the big spiders but kill the kuntin little ones . Fcker bit my thumb , swelling etc . False widow bitch of a thing , was like an electric shock.

Comment

Is the flogas electricity tariff the best one now? They aren't on bonkers but are cheaper than the bord gais one bonkers says is cheaper. No interest in a 'smart tariff' right now.

Comment

Is the flogas electricity tariff the best one now? They aren't on bonkers but are cheaper than the bord gais one bonkers says is cheaper. No interest in a 'smart tariff' right now.
                                                                            Bord Gais give an extra discount when you ring them up.

You absolutely sure you don't want a smart tariff? - they've improved a lot recently. We now run the washing, charge the car, from 2-5am, also give a heat boost during that time that lasts the day. But, you do need a few ducks in a row to get the most out of the new tariffs.

Comment

You absolutely sure you don't want a smart tariff? - they've improved a lot recently. We now run the washing, charge the car, from 2-5am, also give a heat boost during that time that lasts the day. But, you do need a few ducks in a row to get the most out of the new tariffs.
                                                                              Probably only worth it if you have a car.

Unsurprisingly people tend to use peak time electricity

For me, even with free night time, using smart tariff would be more expensive
                                                                              Last edited by Denny Crane; 21-11-23, 15:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Fire me, even with free night time, using smart tariff would be more expensive

It would be great for Lazare - he only starts cooking diner at 1am

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

For me, even with free night time, using smart tariff would be more expensive
                                                                                  Yeah, you might be right. We have had a fair few household arguments over whether the youngest kid needs to be bathed at peak-time on Sundays. I think it nearly gives me a breakdown to see him have a four euro long shower when if we'd just timed it a little bit better it would be three euro. All the while chucking the fifty euro of the week's unused fridge food in the bin, such is life. Household energy optimisation feels like such a male-oriented role, bordering on obsession.

Comment

I’m thinking of divorcing my wife, she is simply not getting my ‘Hangover Movie’ references. Her Laptop is gone missing today in town (presumed lifted) and I somewhat light-heartedly said - Dublin has it now. This is not the 1st time my Hangover references have A) Not being acknowledged B) Somehow made her cranky.

Still though robbin knuts

Comment

Don't have an electric car, don't have a heating timer, it just does its own thing and defies control really. My main issue with smart plans is that once on them you can't go back to a non smart plan.

Comment

Yeah, you might be right. We have had a fair few household arguments over whether the youngest kid needs to be bathed at peak-time on Sundays. I think it nearly gives me a breakdown to see him have a four euro long shower when if we'd just timed it a little bit better it would be three euro. All the while chucking the fifty euro of the week's unused fridge food in the bin, such is life. Household energy optimisation feels like such a male-oriented role, bordering on obsession.
                                                                                        Wtf.

Comment

I get Base a lot, always get the 2 for €30! Regular other discounts/deals for them etc.
                                                                                          They are so good.

Comment

Night rates work well for me, set the clothes, dishes and water heating to come on at night, which is most of the electricity.

Comment

Don't have an electric car, don't have a heating timer, it just does its own thing and defies control really. My main issue with smart plans is that once on them you can't go back to a non smart plan.

We might very well be a few years away from it making sense for everyone. But if you're electric everything (which, I acknowledge, is a luxury in itself) including car and heating, and have smart appliances that can be set, then there is ridic value to be had. E.g. this was our charging yesterday - albeit that it was abnormally high due to the car being empty. But every Kwh charged during 2-5am is 8c.

foxNbALl.jpg

Comment

If you have a battery with your solar setup you can top it up at night rate and then use battery energy during peak time right?
                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Don't watch poker shows or streaming anymore but enjoying Game Of Gold. The Gogglebox like watching with the watchers aspect is a nice addition to the usual format. Likable and annoying characters in equal measure. Expected the standard of play to be a bit better in general. Some weak players by pro standards at the lower end.

Last time I watched poker shows Josh Arieh looked like this...

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Try a new company think it's Yuno or sounds like that anyway.
                                                                                                    apparently cheap
                                                                                                    24 hour meter - fixed rate 31.16C ex vat
                                                                                                    Standing charge p/a - €242.87 ex vat (66.5C per day)

Actually Flogas cheaper than that.

That's if websites are up to date etc.

*
                                                                                                    Not financial advice.

Last edited by dinekes; 21-11-23, 18:11.

Comment

Try a new company think it's Yuno or sounds like that anyway.
                                                                                                      apparently cheap
                                                                                                      24 hour meter - fixed rate 31.16C ex vat
                                                                                                      Standing charge p/a - €242.87 ex vat (66.5C per day)

Actually Flogas cheaper than that.

That's if websites are up to date etc.

*
                                                                                                      Not financial advice.
                                                                                                      Ya, flogas about that cost incl VAT. Likely be the best of them for now.

Comment

Probably too late to be of use, but have a spare free ticket available for Billy Bragg NCH Earlsfort Terrace tonight. Would need to be at Earlsfort Terrace about 8.
                                                                                                        Reply or PM etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                          If you have a battery with your solar setup you can top it up at night rate and then use battery energy during peak time right?
                                                                                                          Think so. It's just whatever you want to use electricity for. Mainly because they've a surplus of electricity at those hours that just goes to waste.

Comment

Solksjaer! would a summer holiday in Finland be viable? What would you do\where would you go?

Comment

Solksjaer! would a summer holiday in Finland be viable? What would you do\where would you go?
                                                                                                              It's nice but NO. not for a summer holiday . If you like lakes and pine trees . The cities are nice , Helsinki steeped in history , lovely harbour. . Very much a stop off place imo or even a base to hit Estonia, Russia, Scandinavia etc . A week at most but you wont be raving about it. I like some of the bars outside the city but I wouldnt steer you either direction. Go left and up to Iceland..

Comment

Was it OPR was saying he might back Liverpool for the League in the hope City are deducted a shedload of points?

Just looking there and City have been cut from 2000/1 into 150s for relegation, might be worth a few small bob just in case, Chelsea into 70s too.

Strangely enough United have been cut into 150s too even though others like Villa are still at 1000+?

A good few bookies have no relegation market anymore

Comment

Strangely enough United cut into 150s too despite others like Villa etc still being 1000/1+ (mind you lol)

Good few bookies have pulled relegation markets

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                    Was it OPR was saying he might back Liverpool for the League in the hope City are deducted a shedload of points?

Just looking there and City have been cut from 2000/1 into 150s for relegation, might be worth a few small bob just in case, Chelsea into 70s too.
                                                                                                                    Dam, City/Chelsea regulation was obviously the play. I was trying to come up with markets that would be influenced by points deductions and somehow never considered that one. I wonder how long the 2000 type odds were available after the Everton news broke.

Haven't heard a peep around United being investigated so that seems strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Dam, City/Chelsea regulation was obviously the play. I was trying to come up with markets that would be influenced by points deductions and somehow never considered that one. I wonder how long the 2000 type odds were available after the Everton news broke.

Would bookies have some fine print to allow them not to pay out if not relegated in the traditional manner tho i wonder.

Guess not if they are slashing prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Would bookies have some fine print to allow them not to pay out if not relegated in the traditional manner tho i wonder.

Guess not if they are slashing prices.
                                                                                                                        Would depend on the actual ruling against City i guess - there is precedent....

A Glasgow gambler's legal action over a £100 bet with Coral he claimed should have won him £250,000 has been rejected by Scotland's highest court.... Read More

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

I doubt the City outcome will be done this season.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X