Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lao Lao believe you know one of my work colleagues. Didn’t know who she was talking about. Said he knows you from poker. Brian Ah Lao Lao
    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

If only there were another card game with a well established platform to discuss it and people to direct you towards resources to improve at it

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
        If only there were another card game with a well established platform to discuss it and people to direct you towards resources to improve at it
        Did you play that mix game in bonnington on Friday? How did it go?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Did you play that mix game in bonnington on Friday? How did it go?
          Yea played for about three and a half hours. Completely card dead...VPIP about 10% Id say. Hard to adjust to the speed of live poker particularly when not playing any hands! Disappointingly decent standard from the other players too.

Comment

Yea played for about three and a half hours. Completely card dead...VPIP about 10% Id say. Hard to adjust to the speed of live poker particularly when not playing any hands! Disappointingly decent standard from the other players too.
            Good to see those games all the same. I didn't venture in on Friday and wouldn't play a cash game anyway but if they see the interest and put on an affordable tourney I'd jump in.

Comment

You did really seem card dead. I was also card dead but didn't stop me playing a VPIP closer to 100!

After you left we had a man call a raise in 2-7 from the small blind and then draw 5 cards. It was beautiful. A man's gotta have a dream.

Good meeting you and hopefully see you there again soon.

Comment

Did you ever get your pizza?

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                  Lao Lao believe you know one of my work colleagues. Didn’t know who she was talking about. Said he knows you from poker. Brian Ah Lao Lao
                  Ha! Yeah, was out with her on Sunday and remembered you mentioned the Plex on here recently - have known her since we were kids

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                    Great time at Glinners 'secret' gig yesterday

Looks like the pre-sales of his book are promising. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tough-Crowd...s%2C126&sr=1-1
                    The phrase 'terminally online' was invented for that dude.
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Think I got through yesterday on residual booze and adrenaline. Today definitely the longest day.
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

First day in Dogpatch today. Started the day with a two-hour teardown about how my whole business model from the perspective of potential funders was a joke. Also that the general business idea of doing everything for everyone could maybe do with a bit more focus. Just as I was internalising the way the business needed to change she then mutters: of course someone was giving me this talk yesterday and they said the exact opposite of what I've just said, so who knows really.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

The phrase 'terminally online' was invented for that dude.
                          Had to look that up as I'd never heard it before. It's a perfect fit alright.
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

While I generally think the whole Irish language thing is a bit of a scam, this story does turn rather sweet towards the end after the bit of moaning about services: https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...401048752.html

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                              Brand stuff is pretty bad. The investigation seems pretty on point. I’m sure there will be more and more coming out.

Him describing the attacks as “baroque” is the strangest choice of word though.
                              It's not really strange. He's a spoofer. Spoofers use fancy sounding words out of context to sound clever and fool gullible people. It's a pretty old grift frankly. It's basically what English undergrads do to impress the girls in their class.

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

It's not really strange. He's a spoofer. Spoofers use fancy sounding words out of context to sound clever and fool gullible people. It's a pretty old grift frankly. It's basically what English undergrads do to impress the girls in their class.
                                My fav comment on a great scene.

That guy got lucky - he almost picked a fight with Batman but got saved by Jason Bourne .

Comment

Why do RTE report on a game via highlights and tell you the result of an attack before its finished. Fking annoying imo

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Howerya Reggie!

I guess my point was more that I'd much rather the US remain the world police,.
                                    I would also rather that the US remain the largest economy and I'd rather they remain the centre of the banking world, the worlds reserve/trading currency and have the control over trade deals, sanctions and what not. I feel they align with my, and most western countries interests more than China, Russia or India. Not that they will always be lockstep with what I want, but more lockstep than the others.

I think India or China becoming a much larger power is something very possible. Especially China as the northern passages for trade start opening up and they don't have any fear of US trade blockades and such. India is taking strides too. Lucky for the west, India and China will likely never see eye to eye.
                                    Hey Steven, I'm good by the way! You?
                                    I'm not on IPB much these days - my wife just gave birth to our second kid just over a week ago. First one is just under a year and a half. So, along with work and stuff, I'm kept pretty busy! We also just bought a house there which we'll be moving into by the end of the year...

Anyway, back to your point:
                                    You're making the assumption that the likes of India or China dominating the global stage would be worse than the US doing so. I don't necessarily think they would be better but can't really see them being any worse. They're just not starting many illegal wars in white countries, or overthrowing any democratically elected European leaders so they can steal resources. If 'Western Values' are represented by US imperialism, they don't represent my values anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post

I'm not on IPB much these days - my wife just gave birth to our second kid just over a week ago. First one is just under a year and a half. So, along with work and stuff, I'm kept pretty busy! We also just bought a house there which we'll be moving into by the end of the year...

You're making the assumption that the likes of India or China dominating the global stage would be worse than the US doing so. I don't necessarily think they would be better but can't really see them being any worse. They're just not starting many illegal wars in white countries, or overthrowing any democratically elected European leaders so they can steal resources. If 'Western Values' are represented by US imperialism, they don't represent my values anyway.
                                      Unreal. Great to hear you and the famjam are thriving man. And congrats on all the sex!

I am making that assumption, and I am assuming that due to the weight of evidence of their internal and foreign policies. China, being autocratic, undemocratic and espousing a diluted and controlled from of capitalism. India, less so I would say but Modi is moving it in a direction that has just sanctioned the killing of a foreign citizen on their own soil and it seems getting more confrontational.

To your point about starting illegal wars, or overthrowing elected leaders etc, well, Russia are doing this right now, and have in the past (and the convo started about the Ukraine war and the western support for it) but to address China and India specifically neither of these powers have ever had an equal footing, never mind the higher ground, and both have enough people to get there( I disagree with Raouls take that Chinese demographics are terminal) so we don't know. This is dyed in the wool conservatism, but better the devil you know on this front for me. \

Ramp up that US Defence budget and keep the US at the head of the table imo.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

On this topic actually the recently released All in chat with Graham Allison is brilliant.
                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Well it's not that is massively out of context, at least to my understanding, I've seen that word used to describe something that has lots of detail. Which in this case, describing the stories the accusers are telling this way is strange,it's something that lends credibility to the accusers and their stories yet his inflection makes it seem like this is a bad thing, so it's a strange choice of word I'd say.

I take your point though and I agree with you on your perception of Brand.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post

You can't see how the CCP ruling the world would be worse than a democracy with broadly similar values to ours?

Comment

Its not possible for any country to rule the world . The leading Superpowers will continue to lock antlers . All the leading Superpowers are murderers to varying levels in our peception . The US has 70million that would be happy to NUKE EM ALL.
                                              The US is still the only country to use NUkes on a different country , effectivly wiping out the citizens of 2 cities . Think about that - the justification of it to this day is galling to me .

Comment

Congrats Reggie, great news. Hope you're getting a few naps in
                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

You can't see how the CCP ruling the world would be worse than a democracy with broadly similar values to ours?
                                                  Might be worse for me but maybe not the world as a whole. I dunno. Just going through all the evil shit the US has done and continues to do around the world, it's hard to top it.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't have any desire to move to China, neither do I have that desire to move to the US though. India, well I do love Indian food so would have to factor that in...

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                    The US is still the only country to use NUkes on a different country , effectivly wiping out the citizens of 2 cities . Think about that - the justification of it to this day is galling to me .
                                                    What do you think the justification was?

i.e. at that exact moment in time, with the information the US had.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

What do you think the justification was?

i.e. at that exact moment in time, with the information the US had.
                                                      Been over this on here before a few years ago plus the defence of it is widely versed . I think personally that it was one of the most evil horrific things in history . I realise i'm in the minority .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Been over this on here before a few years ago plus the defence of it is widely versed . I think personally that it was one of the most evil horrific things in history . I realise i'm in the minority .
                                                        You obviously don't agree with the decision but you can't say what the real-time drivers of that decision were?

Comment

You obviously don't agree with the decision but you can't say what the real-time drivers of that decision were?
                                                          The second bomb has been widely agreed to be 'testing'. So that's where the criticism tends to lie. While the first bomb tends to be viewed as definitely hastening the end of the war.

Comment

Huh? Are you saying i'm ignorant of the historical record or guilty of not being there ? I know what they were ? Ive tore my hair out on reading about them . . Its also been discussed here and many forums
                                                            However if you believe the act itself were simply to bring an end to the war well we have nothing more to add to the conversation

Comment

Comment

It would be foolish to think that China won't move towards a more democratic system over time. Similar to Japan and South Korea and Indonesia. That part of the world being collectivist cultures is probably a net positive when they do reach economic ascendancy. Collectivist cultures are probably a lot more internally focused. More broadly, the West benefits significantly if the Global South continues to economically develop. It opens up far more opportunities for us to accumulate further wealth. Plus its good for the world in general. Even though we have benefited massively from US global leadership, I'm not sure the world has. They are just simply too self-centred a nation.

Comment

Went to the gym last evening. As i mosied up the stairs I noticed 8 people in the floor i was on. ALL eight were on their phones. Ok I know im a wierdo with lack of self awareness sometimes but I blurted out like i do to my kids. Hands up who is not on thier phones? . 2 girls giggled , a couple of blokes hurriedly put their phones down and a few looks / glares

WHY WHY ? trying to maintain gym decorum after that was awkward .

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                    It would be foolish to think that China won't move towards a more democratic system over time. Similar to Japan and South Korea and Indonesia.
                                                                    Except it's become more of a dictatorship under Xi, not less.

Comment

I won’t even pretend to know the intricacies of the Chinese governmental model but the fact that they are, at the very least, tacitly supporting Russia and their war, and less tacitly probably supporting them with weapons/ intelligence makes me think they are a long way from turning the corner.

Comment

Good podcast series on Xi but best I’ve heard on China was with former Aussie PM Kevin Rudd.
                                                                        Fluent in Mandarin and China studies happens to be his area of expertise

Comment

Pain in arm/shoulder the last few days, takes 5 minutes to put on a t-shirt, can't sleep much as can't get a comfortable position.
                                                                          Didn't really seem like a GP thing and they weren't going to be able to see me until Thursday anyway, so rang the VHI Swiftcare clinic yesterday, appointment for the afternoon arranged in Swords.
                                                                          Pretty sweet deal really (for €75 with my low-level policy). Seen within minutes, x-rays, going to get sent for an MRI scan next month, possible surgery down the line.

Do think the triage nurse made it worse though pre x-ray, by rather violently taking my arm/shoulder through a series of tests to test it's limitations! "Will it hurt if I extend your arm this far", * AJ screams in mortal pain *, "ah, yes, that seemed to be sore for you".
                                                                          Anyway, seems to be some form of shoulder tendonitis, random bits of calcium floating around and causing the rotator cuff to not be doing it's job properly. No one thing that caused it, just a build-up probably decades in the making and just reached a tipping point last week.
                                                                          Ratchett gave me a few printouts with various stretching exercises I've to do. Pretty much failed at them all first time last night but apparently that's the plan, keep trying and each day should be a milimetre or so better.

So well worth the €75 but bit disappointed now when I read an old RD3 post from 2017 where he said " Swiftcare Clinic gave me Lyrica (painkiller especially for nerve pain), anti-inflammatories, some sleeping tablets and Solpadol". I got none of that good stuff, just "do the exercises, buy some otc ibruprofen, sleep on your back and stick an extra pillow under your arm and we'll see after the MRI". Where's my drugs, Joe.

Comment

I would imagine there is some sort of theory out there saying that countries become more dictatorial, right in the run up to becoming more democratic. But I'm not basing this on this months news stories, but rather a general trend that tends to happen. Plus I'm not too sure about 'more dictatorial'. Weeding out corruption has been his big fundamental drive. That is a necessary building block to allowing countries to transition, and was the same in Singapore, South Korea, as it removes people with economic vested interests in the dictatorship system.

Comment

In more interesting news, one of my Indian students this year has the first name 'Monalisa'. I'm not sure her parents quite anticipated how that name would be perceived in European circles.

Comment

I would imagine there is some sort of theory out there saying that countries become more dictatorial, right in the run up to becoming more democratic. But I'm not basing this on this months news stories, but rather a general trend that tends to happen. Plus I'm not too sure about 'more dictatorial'. Weeding out corruption has been his big fundamental drive. That is a necessary building block to allowing countries to transition, and was the same in Singapore, South Korea, as it removes people with economic vested interests in the dictatorship system.
                                                                                China's democracy scores have worsened under Xi. It's just a fact e.g.
                                                                                China’s authoritarian regime has become increasingly repressive in recent years. The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) continues to tighten control over all aspects of life and governance, including the state bureaucracy, the media, online speech, religious practice, universities, businesses, and civil society associations, and it has undermined an earlier series of modest rule-of-law reforms. The CCP leader and state president, Xi Jinping, has consolidated personal power to a degree not seen in China for decades
                                                                                Maybe Xi is just a blip on the road to democracy, who knows.

Of course, in order to transition to democracy, the CCP would fundamentally have to agree to give up its monopoly on political power. Very, very hard indeed to see that happening in our lifetimes.

Comment

The second bomb has been widely agreed to be 'testing'. So that's where the criticism tends to lie. While the first bomb tends to be viewed as definitely hastening the end of the war.
                                                                                  Wait what?
                                                                                  Was it not the Japanese leaders didn't believe reports of the damage caused by the initial bomb, and refused to declare a surrender?
                                                                                  I have not seen Oppenheimer yet, so there may be new common pop culture knowledge at this stage that i'm unaware of.
                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Watched this over the last 2 nights,
                                                                                    A good whirlwind look back at the rise of some Dictators.
                                                                                    How to Become a Tyrant (TV Mini Series 2021) - IMDb

Although I would have preferred if they spent longer on the cause and actions of their retrospective downfalls.
                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                      Good podcast series on Xi but best I’ve heard on China was with former Aussie PM Kevin Rudd.
                                                                                      Fluent in Mandarin and China studies happens to be his area of expertise
                                                                                      I listened to the first one - really good.

If you want a good current affairs China story, the curious case of the missing Ministers is suitably mad and entertaining.

Comment

In more interesting news, one of my Indian students this year has the first name 'Monalisa'. I'm not sure her parents quite anticipated how that name would be perceived in European circles.
                                                                                        Can you tell whether she is smiling or not?

Comment

How is it mostly perceived? My mind went straight to stripper.

Comment

China's democracy scores have worsened under Xi. It's just a fact e.g.

Maybe Xi is just a blip on the road to democracy, who knows.

Of course, in order to transition to democracy, the CCP would fundamentally have to agree to give up its monopoly on political power. Very, very hard indeed to see that happening in our lifetimes.
                                                                                            A Freedom House quote Here's just a snippet of their perspectives from wiki

In 2006, the Financial Times reported that Freedom House had received funding by the State Department for "clandestine activities" inside Iran. According to the Financial Times, "Some academics, activists and those involved in the growing US business of spreading freedom and democracy are alarmed that such semi-covert activities risk damaging the public and transparent work of other organisations, and will backfire inside Iran."[64]

On December 7, 2004, former U.S. House Representative and Libertarian politician Ron Paul criticized Freedom House for allegedly administering a U.S.-funded program in Ukraine where "much of that money was targeted to assist one particular candidate." Paul said "one part that we do know thus far is that the U.S. government, through the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), granted millions of dollars to the Poland-America-Ukraine Cooperation Initiative (PAUCI), which is administered by the U.S.-based Freedom House. PAUCI then sent U.S. Government funds to numerous Ukrainian non-governmental organizations (NGOs). This would be bad enough and would in itself constitute meddling in the internal affairs of a sovereign nation. But, what is worse is that many of these grantee organizations in Ukraine are blatantly in favor of presidential candidate Viktor Yushchenko."[65]

Noam Chomsky and Edward S. Herman have criticized the organization for excessively criticizing states opposed to US interests while being unduly sympathetic to regimes supportive of US interests.[66] Most notably, Freedom House described the 1979 Rhodesian general election as "fair", but described the 1980 Southern Rhodesian general election as "dubious",[66] and found the 1982 Salvadoran presidential election to be "admirable".[66]
                                                                                            Re likelihood of transition. Nobody would have similarly believed that the culturally similar, South Korea, Indonesia, Singapore, would transition either. Like, they were brutal absolutist dictatorships. But they did. And not in the very distant past.

Comment

Interesting that you go straight to attacking the source.

So what's China's excuse? Why is it still an absolute dictatorship when all those other countries have transitioned to democracy?

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                Watched this over the last 2 nights,
                                                                                                A good whirlwind look back at the rise of some Dictators.
                                                                                                How to Become a Tyrant (TV Mini Series 2021) - IMDb

Although I would have preferred if they spent longer on the cause and actions of their retrospective downfalls.
                                                                                                Just on podcasts and dictators, I’ve only listened to a couple but Hindsight is good, that’s the Gaddafi one but dictators are probably the most covered.
                                                                                                It’s historical figures narrated in the first person but Maradona & Puskas are there too.

Comment

Interesting that you go straight to attacking the source.
                                                                                                  RD: Here's a dodgy source that has a history of supporting white supremacy

HH: ...

RD: Hey, stop attacking my source, no fair!

The source is always the most relevant thing.

Comment

One fun additional titbit about 'Freedom' House is that in between supporting dictators and white supremacists being elected in friendly countries, they even managed to campaign against the establishment of the International Criminal Court - pretty much the sole legal route for convicting dictators.

Comment

I remember you used to use fancy sounding words at the poker table although to be fair you were trying to spoof gullible people back then too

Comment

RD: Here's a dodgy source that has a history of supporting white supremacy

HH: ...

RD: Hey, stop attacking my source, no fair!

The source is always the most relevant thing.
                                                                                                        Amnesty any use to you? Transparency International? Economist Democracy Index?

Comment

It would be foolish to think that China won't move towards a more democratic system over time. Similar to Japan and South Korea and Indonesia. That part of the world being collectivist cultures is probably a net positive when they do reach economic ascendancy. Collectivist cultures are probably a lot more internally focused. More broadly, the West benefits significantly if the Global South continues to economically develop. It opens up far more opportunities for us to accumulate further wealth. Plus its good for the world in general. Even though we have benefited massively from US global leadership, I'm not sure the world has. They are just simply too self-centred a nation.

I'd argue China is more self-centered than America. Maybe not on an individual person basis but on a national state basis. All their talk around the BRI is about global infrastructure development but it's really just about extending their control and power and only really ultimately benefits themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Just on podcasts and dictators, I’ve only listened to a couple but Hindsight is good, that’s the Gaddafi one but dictators are probably the most covered.
                                                                                                            It’s historical figures narrated in the first person but Maradona & Puskas are there too.
                                                                                                            I tried the behind the bastards podcast but my god do the presenters love themselves, the ad interruptions detract muchly from the experience too.

​​
                                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

We discussed all this before. China isn't going democratic anti any time soon. The culture is totally different.

Comment

I was watching the joker at home a while back. About ten mins from the end - just when the mayhem starts, I heard a bang and crash. I had few seconds of confusion, wondering was that from the TV or outside.

Turns out a car had crashed and overturned on the street.

At the weekend I was watching a movie. Ten mins from the end they go to switch off the power in an area of a city. And our power went out.

So basically. If anyone knows of any movies about someone getting a major windfall and living happy ever after, I'm all ears.

Comment

I think you maybe the only person in the entire world to take CCP propaganda at face value.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                    Pain in arm/shoulder the last few days, takes 5 minutes to put on a t-shirt, can't sleep much as can't get a comfortable position.
                                                                                                                    Didn't really seem like a GP thing and they weren't going to be able to see me until Thursday anyway, so rang the VHI Swiftcare clinic yesterday, appointment for the afternoon arranged in Swords.
                                                                                                                    Pretty sweet deal really (for €75 with my low-level policy). Seen within minutes, x-rays, going to get sent for an MRI scan next month, possible surgery down the line.

Do think the triage nurse made it worse though pre x-ray, by rather violently taking my arm/shoulder through a series of tests to test it's limitations! "Will it hurt if I extend your arm this far", * AJ screams in mortal pain *, "ah, yes, that seemed to be sore for you".
                                                                                                                    Anyway, seems to be some form of shoulder tendonitis, random bits of calcium floating around and causing the rotator cuff to not be doing it's job properly. No one thing that caused it, just a build-up probably decades in the making and just reached a tipping point last week.
                                                                                                                    Ratchett gave me a few printouts with various stretching exercises I've to do. Pretty much failed at them all first time last night but apparently that's the plan, keep trying and each day should be a milimetre or so better.

So well worth the €75 but bit disappointed now when I read an old RD3 post from 2017 where he said " Swiftcare Clinic gave me Lyrica (painkiller especially for nerve pain), anti-inflammatories, some sleeping tablets and Solpadol". I got none of that good stuff, just "do the exercises, buy some otc ibruprofen, sleep on your back and stick an extra pillow under your arm and we'll see after the MRI". Where's my drugs, Joe.
                                                                                                                    Might be worth looking up John M. Kirsch. I found hanging good for reliving shoulder pain and rotator cuff issues.

Comment

Amnesty any use to you? Transparency International? Economist Democracy Index?
                                                                                                                      so why did you go to the racist source first then?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

We discussed all this before. China isn't going democratic anti any time soon. The culture is totally different.
                                                                                                                        South Korea is culturally very similar, right down to the very same origin of language. Hard to see why it would be culturally different

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Might be worth looking up John M. Kirsch. I found hanging good for reliving shoulder pain and rotator cuff issues.
                                                                                                                          Its a tad permanent no?

SPOILER
                                                                                                                          I get a pass...
                                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X