This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

If we walk instead of drive we can reduce fatalities to almost zero. Amazing!
    Yeah! Although it's probably hard enough to walk at 40kmh.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

For Pedestrians- ironically in Dublin City Centre if you increase your speed by 5km you are less likely to be a fatality . For O'Connell St it should increase further.

Comment

If we walk instead of drive we can reduce fatalities to almost zero. Amazing!
        I did hear there's a new 'project 2050' that aims to eliminate road deaths by that date.
        Handy job for the next 27 years I suppose.
        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

The Go Fund Me for the American guy who was badly assaulted in Dublin a while back is turning into a right shit show. The family raised about $130K but apparently the son who set it up is not on speaking terms with the father.

Some money was used for travelling to and staying in Dublin which is mentioned as the purpose on the Go Fund Me page but even with Dublin hotel prices, the actual cost can't be anywhere near that. The Dad has asked for the balance of the money and the son is having none of it. He says he will pay any medical expenses directly to the provider but no money is going to go to the father.

Sounds dodgy and the son is trousering a nice few quid.

Comment

Stuffed

Team orders and decency prevail, Kuss will be in red in Madrid
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

The Go Fund Me for the American guy who was badly assaulted in Dublin a while back is turning into a right shit show. The family raised about $130K but apparently the son who set it up is not on speaking terms with the father.

Some money was used for travelling to and staying in Dublin which is mentioned as the purpose on the Go Fund Me page but even with Dublin hotel prices, the actual cost can't be anywhere near that. The Dad has asked for the balance of the money and the son is having none of it. He says he will pay any medical expenses directly to the provider but no money is going to go to the father.

Sounds dodgy and the son is trousering a nice few quid.
              Sounds like it was initially set up to help the sons travel to Ireland while the oul lad was in a coma to be with him, pay any bills, and get him home. But now the oul lad expects to get the 130k, he was talking about buying a house with it "not a mansion, but something cosy".

I think the travel costs will be used and then everyone else be refunded.
              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Ah here Doughal . Gave me a smile.

"These cows are small, those cows are far away"

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

I did hear there's a new 'project 2050' that aims to eliminate road deaths by that date.
                  Handy job for the next 27 years I suppose.
                  Unless they move to fully automated transport by that time it won't happen, and they won't (spoiler alert).

Comment

Adjusting speed limits down will solve very little of the car crash fatalities, i would even take the over on the previous years deaths once implemented.

Enforce what you already have enacted into law, typical knee jerk reaction, going by numbers alone i think we may be the third safest in the EU wrt road deaths, but once you put a few leaving cert students in their prime into the mix it screws the visuals.

Article in the local paper yesterday, about the use of scramblers by scrotes, garda spokesman basically saying there is absolutely nothing that can be done...and here was me under the impression that a mechanically propelled vehicle had to be registered to be used on a public highway along with the person in charge licensed to use said vehicle and insured and taxed.
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

We are playing 8-game cash tomorrow night in the Bonnington. If anyone wants adding to the WhatsApp group PM me your number.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                        We are playing 8-game cash tomorrow night in the Bonnington. If anyone wants adding to the WhatsApp group PM me your number.
                        Oooh interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                          Adjusting speed limits down will solve very little of the car crash fatalities, i would even take the over on the previous years deaths once implemented.

Enforce what you already have enacted into law, typical knee jerk reaction, going by numbers alone i think we may be the third safest in the EU wrt road deaths, but once you put a few leaving cert students in their prime into the mix it screws the visuals.

Article in the local paper yesterday, about the use of scramblers by scrotes, garda spokesman basically saying there is absolutely nothing that can be done...and here was me under the impression that a mechanically propelled vehicle had to be registered to be used on a public highway along with the person in charge licensed to use said vehicle and insured and taxed.
                          wtf?

Comment

Unless they move to fully automated transport by that time it won't happen, and they won't (spoiler alert).
                            27 years is a long time, I'd take that bet. I'd also bet by 2040 human driving will be outlawed in at least one major city.

It took about 50 years to go from Horses to Cars, but that required a huge change in human behaviour and a gigantic amount of new infrastructure. Compared to that the change from human to ai driving will be a doddle. (Going to EVs will be harder). You can already get almost any car to be retrofitted with autonomous capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

wtf?
                              You cant be making decisions because you are emotional.
                              This too shall pass.

Comment

wtf?
                                is he not just making exact same point as you use to make re large payouts for misdiagnoses of certain medical tests?
                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  Well, this is certainly entertaining.

Much more fun than watching England or France kick incessantly.
                                  Should have been red.

the magic of the RWC with under dog Uruguay getting over twice against a team that are legit contenders for the tournament.

Comment

Not sure I like that call either.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Met the Gardai assigned here for the RWC last night, softest job ever. Basically their sole responsibility is taking selfies with fans while the French gendarmes look on jealously all the time nervously fingering their heavy weaponry.
                                      Decent bit of BBV'ing there

A rape reported to them rather than French police and an outbreak of botulism leaving one dead so far

Comment

Very strange for Farrell to pick such a strong team for Saturday

Comment

Those plucky lads from Uruguay must have been watching old reruns of Llyod's Munster to learn how to grow the big heart. They shouldn't allow the big heart in the World Cup, should only be a small group of top, elite, clinical teams .

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Should have been red.

the magic of the RWC with under dog Uruguay getting over twice against a team that are legit contenders for the tournament.
                                            Lol would ya shhtop. That sentence actually strengthens the argument people have been making. Implying you never ever gave them a chance at even scoring! Never mind twice. And they still got roundly beaten.

Uruguay, Chile, Portugal, Romania, havent a hope of beating one of the big teams. Probably haven't a hope of beating anyone tbh.
                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Those plucky lads from Uruguay must have been watching old reruns of Llyod's Munster to learn how to grow the big heart. They shouldn't allow the big heart in the World Cup, should only be a small group of top, elite, clinical teams .
                                              Lol I was waiting for someone to use the word "plucky" fuck me if my eyes rolled any harder Id have fallen over.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Lol I was waiting for someone to use the word "plucky" fuck me if my eyes rolled any harder Id have fallen over.
                                                Not like you to spectacularly not get it. I iz disappoint.

Comment

Did uruguay win? No . Lost to a second string French team off the back off a huge game against NZ
                                                  heartstrings very much untugged
                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Not like you to spectacularly not get it. I iz disappoint.
                                                    lol ya alright Willy? That one been bugging ya a bit obviously.

Comment

lol ya alright Willy? That one been bugging ya a bit obviously.
                                                      It's Willie (see ya dont read the posts )

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

is he not just making exact same point as you use to make re large payouts for misdiagnoses of certain medical tests?
                                                        My apologies for having a visceral reaction to describing young kids dying as 'screwing the visuals'.

I don't get the analogy. One is a determination of a way to get one third less fatalities in cities by matching car speeds with modern city needs, the other is about false negatives on tests? There doesn't seem to be any relationship, even indirect.
                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 14-09-23, 21:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Decent bit of BBV'ing there

A rape reported to them rather than French police and an outbreak of botulism leaving one dead so far

May have been the way it was reported but when I first heard about the rape case, it was reported as the Gardai were in France but they were saying 'Nothing to do with us, this is on the French' which is obviously correct as the Gardai have no jurisdiction in France but normally they would say something like Gardai are assisting or something like that. Just seemed a very odd way of reporting it.

Comment

Did uruguay win? No . Lost to a second string French team off the back off a huge game against NZ
                                                            heartstrings very much untugged
                                                            But but but...

Louis Suarez , Edison Cavani, your team got a good beating tonight . DiegoForlan you hide your face my friend.

Comment

Open top bus from Montevideo Airport ala Jackies Army.

Comment

Plucky outsiders indeed. When tomorrow in the schoolyard some kid is shouted at ur a gay, it'll be intended as a compliment.

Comment

If you didn't kop that I was trolling both sides of the argument at the same time, you're getting slow in your old age.

Comment

My apologies for having a visceral reaction to describing young kids dying as 'screwing the visuals'.

I don't get the analogy. One is a determination of a way to get one third less fatalities in cities by matching car speeds with modern city needs, the other is about false negatives on tests? There doesn't seem to be any relationship, even indirect.
                                                                    You had a crusade re not letting emotional media stories influence the overall good done by the testing- which I agree with
                                                                    ole making the point that current Ireland road safety quite good on European rankings and that we should enforce current rules instead of knee jerking to some unfortunate and tragic outliers and you went in on him?

Comment

You had a crusade re not letting emotional media stories influence the overall good done by the testing- which I agree with
                                                                      ole making the point that current Ireland road safety quite good on European rankings and that we should enforce current rules instead of knee jerking to some unfortunate and tragic outliers and you went in on him?
                                                                      People are ignoring Zuuts investigation into the lying about the data. Surely thats a bigger story?

Comment

If you didn't kop that I was trolling both sides of the argument at the same time, you're getting slow in your old age.
                                                                        Hence my post on his spectacularly not getting it . Went up the wrong Alley Theresa

Comment

Don't think I was too fast even in my youth. Was always a plucky underdog.

Comment

That UK figure is something else. They're paying 10% of government income on interest payments. Presumably a big whack more in 2023. In terms of cost its more than Italy, which is some achievement. Ireland should fall to maybe 73% debt to GNI (the Irish alternative to GDP) this year and could well be down in the 50s by 2025 despite a *massive* ramp up in investment.

One other kinda interesting stat in the NTMA report - that the top three companies are paying €8 billion a year in corporation tax. Kinda puts some of the bigger capital investment projects in context.

re7I64sl.jpg

This chart is also interesting. Its the debt structure of households in the run up to the financial crisis vs now. See how there's almost a negligible amount of debt in the economy. We've essentially spent 15 years paying down everything to nil. Indeed we could probably afford to take a few more risks as households.

K7mX5XJl.jpg

Comment

I'm hoping i didn't describe people dying of cervical cancer as 'messing with the visuals'.

This recommendation is as a result of a two year investigation by a panel of experts, its not 'knee jerk'. Its also in line with other European countries which have similar rules around e.g. 30kmh in towns and cities.

Comment

People are ignoring Zuuts investigation into the lying about the data. Surely thats a bigger story?
                                                                                We'll have to see the underlying paper he was referring to, to understand the context. But a report clearly doesn't rise or fall based on a single reference. There's no inherent reason for the current 50kmh limit to remain the current limit. Its very reasonable that as more and more vulnerable road users are being killed (now 43% of all deaths), that we look at if something needs to be done. Speed limits are an obvious one, as by and large people tend to obey them within reason, they will also cut down on the 1500 serious injuries per year as lower speeds means significantly lower serious injuries. There's also a separate enforcement issue to also be dealt with and presumably tech will catch up on that end as its not possible to physically police to any great extent.

Comment

Yeah! Although it's probably hard enough to walk at 40kmh.
                                                                                  Far too few people die in RTAs considering the way we drive.

500 die from suicide each year, and that's just too unpleasant to talk about . https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpub...tatistics2019/
                                                                                  Last edited by ComradeCollie; 14-09-23, 22:08.
                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Every now and then the thread gets a little spicy.

T'is fun.

GFY Hitch, GFY Theresa, GFY Ole

Fuck you too Willy

And you HJ, un putero GFY
                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I'm hoping i didn't describe people dying of cervical cancer as 'messing with the visuals'.

This recommendation is as a result of a two year investigation by a panel of experts, it’s not 'knee jerk'. also in line with other European countries which have similar rules around e.g. 30kmh in towns and cities.
                                                                                      Didn’t realise it was a longer term thing
                                                                                      fair enough
                                                                                      All for Tech that could increase enforcement- about time they did something useful
                                                                                      though price of oil/power will take care of road deaths for us in the not too distant future

Comment

lol, the poor bastard...

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1739687&d=1694733019&type=thumb
                                                                                          Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                          lol, the poor bastard...

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

T'is fun.

Fuck you too Willy

Tbh . I quite enjoyed the toing and froing. Lots of shit going on with sick folk . It's a good distraction.

Nice subtlety on the 'Willy' i worn out correcting this .

Comment

T'is fun.

Fuck you too Willy

vete a la mierda, maldito coño

Comment

We watched the game with a good chunk of Arcachon rugby club. They were genuinely scared for most of it, was a lot of fun winding them up with exaggerated cheering for Uruguay.

Actually could have won it with a bit more composure imo.

Train to Nantes today. Drinking levels will return to professional.
                                                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

27 years is a long time, I'd take that bet. I'd also bet by 2040 human driving will be outlawed in at least one major city.

It took about 50 years to go from Horses to Cars, but that required a huge change in human behaviour and a gigantic amount of new infrastructure. Compared to that the change from human to ai driving will be a doddle. (Going to EVs will be harder). You can already get almost any car to be retrofitted with autonomous capabilities.
                                                                                                  I'm obviously not going to make an actual bet on something where I'm barely favourite to be alive at the end of the bet period, but I would be very surprised if Ireland specifically is all driverless vehicles in 2050. It would overall be much safer for all, but I can't see it. How to cater for reversing down a narrow country lane until you come to a gateway or nice piece of verge to pull in at to let a car pass would be a fun situation to consider. Highway and city driving, fine I can see that being achievable, but while there are still humans driving, there will still be more crashes and deaths.

It's good to aspire and aim high, and you can't really set an acceptable number of road traffic deaths, but a target of zero is patently unachievable, barring humans being wiped out before that.

Comment

We'll have to see the underlying paper he was referring to, to understand the context. But a report clearly doesn't rise or fall based on a single reference. There's no inherent reason for the current 50kmh limit to remain the current limit. Its very reasonable that as more and more vulnerable road users are being killed (now 43% of all deaths), that we look at if something needs to be done. Speed limits are an obvious one, as by and large people tend to obey them within reason, they will also cut down on the 1500 serious injuries per year as lower speeds means significantly lower serious injuries. There's also a separate enforcement issue to also be dealt with and presumably tech will catch up on that end as its not possible to physically police to any great extent.
                                                                                                    Excuse the lack of axis labelling! x is speed, y is fatality rate of pedestrians struck at that speed. Orange is from figure 3.1 of the govt report, blue is from this meta-analysis paper which is cited in the report six lines after figure 3.1! The paper also says that shaping policy based on these S-curves is not a good thing. The orange data in the report is completely unattributed, so I did a bit of digging, and found that it comes from a 2005 modelling paper....It isn't even real data! This adds up when you see in figure 3.1 that the S is the exact same shape for car-pedestrian and car-car collisions, just shifted along the x-axis.

I have no opinion on the policy either way, but if I was reviewing this report is would be a Reject! Very shaky research integrity going on.

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-14 at 13.08.10.jpeg

Last edited by zuutroy; 15-09-23, 08:00.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Excuse the lack of axis labelling! x is speed, y is fatality rate of pedestrians struck at that speed. Orange is from figure 3.1 of the govt report, blue is from this meta-analysis paper which is cited in the report six lines after figure 3.1! The paper also says that shaping policy based on these S-curves is not a good thing. The orange data in the report is completely unattributed, so I did a bit of digging, and found that it comes from a 2005 modelling paper....It isn't even real data! This adds up when you see in figure 3.1 that the S is the exact same shape for car-pedestrian and car-car collisions, just shifted along the x-axis.

I have no opinion on the policy either way, but if I was reviewing this report is would be a Reject! Very shaky research integrity going on.

Sounds like someone shaping the data to fit the outcome they want to see implemented.

Comment

Really begins the last 30 seconds or so...

Actually thought this might be fake in some way but seems legit Hard to get the head around how people can actually be this catastrophically stupid..racing towards momma bear with cubs......carrying a fucking child
                                                                                                        Little fat fuckers couldn't get there quickly enough to get eaten

*They are also allowed to drive (shudder)

Last edited by dinekes; 15-09-23, 08:16.

Comment

I feel seen
                                                                                                          Reverse snobbery about rugby is every bit as nauseating as plain old snobbery

Rugby World Cup: Everybody knows rugby is an elitist sport in Ireland. But you don’t achieve an egalitarian society by throwing stones at athletes who are representing your country

Comment

Figure 3.1 is based on Wramborg (2005)? Which is indeed research that is viewed as potentially dated. But it has been also referenced in recent Australian and UK parliamentary speed-related reports. I guess its reasonable enough that these types of national reports would have been consulted by the panel members as being directly relevant. Although, yeah, it should have been attributed.

Comment

I do like this though.

From an Irish perspective, the RSA recently commissioned a report that focused specifically on pedestrian fatality risk and vehicle speed, completed by Dr Kiran Sarma (University of Galway). A meta
                                                                                                              -analysis completed by Hussain et al. (2019) was referenced in this report. This aligns with the work of the other studies.
                                                                                                              'aligns with' being the classic research term we are both familiar with for saying 'in a generous interpretation this doesn't completely bomb what we've previously said, but please don't examine it too closely'

Comment

Whatever about it being dated, it's a modelling study that isn't supported by any subsequent papers that have actual data in them. Having the one 'this is the data we're acting on' figure in a government report being from an unreferenced theoretical study, while referencing an excellent study based on actual data and not showing it is comically bad.

A personal favourite I like to use when writing the 'discussion' part of papers is "These findings are not inconsistent with.....". About as safe as scientific analysis can get!

Comment

Whatever about it being dated, it's a modelling study that isn't supported by any subsequent papers that have actual data in them. Having the one 'this is the data we're acting on' figure in a government report being from an unreferenced theoretical study, while referencing an excellent study based on actual data and not showing it is comically bad.

A personal favourite I like to use when writing the 'discussion' part of papers is "These findings are not inconsistent with.....". About as safe as scientific analysis can get!
                                                                                                                  Yeah, that's a really nicely put together study. Weirdly I couldn't access it through work login and had to use scihub. wtf is with that - have the coffers run dry?

Attached Files

Comment

Worked OK for me through institutional access.

Comment

Shocking. Watch till end.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                        I'm about as likely to open a Tiktok link as one of Solks facebook links!
                                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

I'm about as likely to open a Tiktok link as one of Solks facebook links!
                                                                                                                          no bother, it'll be on the six-one news in a week

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X