This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zod View Post
    was there a consensus reached on the "what's your biggest weakness" interview question?

a friend, ahem, may be asked that relatively soon.
    Your friends reply could be that they cant reach the top shelf or maybe even the bottom one

Comment

Originally posted by A_CitizenErased View Post
      I can see 2 footballs in each of the pictures.

They has everything to do with it.
      Gas. 2 weeks writing for the red tops and the tits come out. WP!

Comment

I've never seen a player make Ronnie look so intimidated before. Trumps positioning is very average but it doesn't seem to matter when you can pot anything from anywhere.
        Profit before people.

Comment

was there a consensus reached on the "what's your biggest weakness" interview question?

Generally what i've always done is said an apparant flaw and shown how i've neutralised it.

Ie. I used to have trouble procrastinating when it came to tasks which I did not like to do, but now since I have started using lists and making sure I do the difficult tasks at the start of the day, I no longer have an issue with it.
          Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

just got through the first series of the wire last night and the first ep of season 2 loving it at the moment kinda disappointed by the first ep of season 2 but will stick wit it obv. gf loving it aswell

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                Blue Journey complete
                Tartare journey, a step too far
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

If I'm asked it, I normally answer with something relating to the role or company.

So my biggest weakness might be the fact that this is a new company/role that I will have to familiarise myself with, but I'm conifdent that I can change that in a very short period of time.

It should always be an answer of a weakness to the role you're going for rather than you yourself imo.
                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
                    just got through the first series of the wire last night and the first ep of season 2 loving it at the moment kinda disappointed by the first ep of season 2 but will stick wit it obv. gf loving it aswell
                    I found the first ep of season 2 very disconcerting as well, moving from the ghetto to the docks, but you'll get into it pretty quick don't worry.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they'd be delighted by any answer that isn't "I'm often too much of a perfectionist".
                      Profit before people.

Comment

I can happily eat steak tartare or carpaccio of beef, blue steak i am not that fussed on though, think its the texture while cutting it that is a bit off putting
                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                          If I'm asked it, I normally answer with something relating to the role or company.

So my biggest weakness might be the fact that this is a new company/role that I will have to familiarise myself with, but I'm conifdent that I can change that in a very short period of time.

It should always be an answer of a weakness to the role you're going for rather than you yourself imo.
                          Confession; have never had to put together a proper CV...until now. (hired straight out of college and walked into current job through contacts)

any good websites for tips on constructing CVs etc?

My current efort would be something like:

Raoul Duke III, completely awesome. Willing to consider all roles paying massive wedge.

has the advantage of brevity but I feel something is missing.

Comment

look at the spec and pick one of the soft skills on the also nice to have list doesn't really matter what.
                            Say that you are being completely honest about it as I am a straight up guy and want to be fully transparent etc and x is something you are aware of but since you have identified it you now do x to compensate and develop this skill.

Basically spin it to say I was bad at something but now I am all round awesome.

Dont use one of the core competencies but one of the extras list means i will be related to the job and you have basically just covered off that you can do it sneakily.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                              I can happily eat steak tartare or carpaccio of beef, blue steak i am not that fussed on though, think its the texture while cutting it that is a bit off putting
                              As a starter, it's OK. Main course is just too much rawness to process imo.

I have similar feelings about sashimi.

Comment

Yeah, I was like that with season 2 also. All these new characters being introduced was pretty annoying after getting to know all the characters in season 1. I'd say 2 was my least favorite season, although everyone here seems to think it's best for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Raoul Duke III, completely awesome.
                                  Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                  Basically spin it to say I was bad at something but now I am all round awesome.
                                  my approach has been endorsed by leading professionals

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                    I'm pretty sure they'd be delighted by any answer that isn't "I'm often too much of a perfectionist".
                                    Spud from Trainspotting goes to job interview intentionally high on speed so he wont get the job therefore keeping his dole payments. A bit of mindless fluff...

Comment

I don't agree with this. To me I would take his to mean can't hit the ground running and will need loads of cuddles to settle in. Basically could be a pain in the arse during inductions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                        Generally what i've always done is said an apparant flaw and shown how i've neutralised it.

Ie. I used to have trouble procrastinating when it came to tasks which I did not like to do, but now since I have started using lists and making sure I do the difficult tasks at the start of the day, I no longer have an issue with it.
                                        Unless you get a prick of an interviewer who then says they asked you for your biggest weakness not a past weakness that you have rectified. "Perhaps your biggest weakness is your grasp of questions in the english language?"

Comment

Whatever you say don't say this. For a start you are not answering the question and also you are saying something that anyone applying for the job could say. I have never asked this question when interviewing but if I did I'd be looking for someone with some self awareness who is not afraid to point out things about themselves that they would like to improve. Common areas that a lot of people can improve on would be:

- Time management
                                          - Managing a diverse workload where priorities shift continuously
                                          - Learning how to say no in a constructive way
                                          - Escalating issues and asking for help when required
                                          - Improving presentation skills

Pitch it more as something you are aware of and that you try to keep an eye to improving it and you will be fine. You could also ask if the company has any supports in place for personal development in these areas (e.g. maybe they have internal training or would pay for a course in time management if it was something you could benefit from)

Comment

Ugh nasty kiss, this should be 5-1 now

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                                              Anyone here using Pokertracker 4? Im having a small problem looking at marked hands.
                                              Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                              Went for steak last night and after all the BBV talk i moved from the well done click to the Medium Group and i am afraid to say that you have all converted me, it was like eating something completely different!!

Well Done BBV, Well Done
                                              keep going,
                                              your journey won't be complete untill you have a pool of blood on the plate for dipping you chips into, or mixing with the soft yolk of a fried egg, or just good old fashioned mashing up with your spuds.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                Raoul - I think you should spend alot of time on your CV. So many CV's doing the rounds now that yours must stand out. I constructed mine from looking at dozens of others. Your best approach may be to look at a collection of others, fix on a template that you like, and get the content into shape!
                                                that's the plan, just need to mould the series of bizarre coincidences and happy accidents that comprise my 'career' into something that sounds vaguely coherent

once I get my foot in the door anywhere, uber-confident of running the joint within 6 months obviously (well, either that or live off the wife)

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                  Yeah this works for every platform you can change the DNS settings on, which is pretty much every platform bar the Nintendo Wii apparently. Laptops, smart phones, X-Boxes and PS3's all confirmed working.

The drawback is apparently it stops working after a week and then you've to pay a monthly fee of $5 to keep it going. However it's pretty much worth it, it's not just a workaround for netflix but an effortless region unlocking of the internet. You've to change one little setting and from there everything works, Netflix has the American library, you can log in to BBC iPlayer, Hulu etc all without changing any settings or doing anything else, just type in the URLs and they work, the times you are accessing normal websites like say IPB they'll see you as having your ordinary IP address and the internet doesn't slow down like using a proxy. Pretty sweet, I think, and probably worth the $5 a month.
                                                  "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                    Yeah this works for every platform you can change the DNS settings on, which is pretty much every platform bar the Nintendo Wii apparently. Laptops, smart phones, X-Boxes and PS3's all confirmed working.

The drawback is apparently it stops working after a week and then you've to pay a monthly fee of $5 to keep it going. However it's pretty much worth it, it's not just a workaround for netflix but an effortless region unlocking of the internet. You've to change one little setting and from there everything works, Netflix has the American library, you can log in to BBC iPlayer, Hulu etc all without changing any settings or doing anything else, just type in the URLs and they work, the times you are accessing normal websites like say IPB they'll see you as having your ordinary IP address and the internet doesn't slow down like using a proxy. Pretty sweet, I think, and probably worth the $5 a month.
                                                    Didn't know that, it's well worth a fiver a month!

Comment

is theyre a way of manual moving the hud stats as its covering top half of the left hole card .

Comment

thinks its right click and hold and move as you would a window with the left click ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                          First off, look down on them for asking a dumb question, then maybe say something that was a small weakness, but that you've improved. "When I started my last job I found that the demands on my time for different tasks was quite difficult to manage to keep everyone happy. So I implemented a new time management approach that meant I was better able to fulfil my duties".

Don't know, maybe something along those lines i.e. don't actually answer the question, but instead twist it into something that makes you look good? Don't forget to look down on them though and subconsciously get across the message of: "ahh did you just read your first 'how to interview' book, that's soooooo cute! hey, how about asking me whether I like working in a team next?"
                                                          My friend went to an interview in London. One Q he was asked to tell them what he knows of their company
                                                          "instead of telling you what I learned about your company from 3 hours of google research, I'd rather tell you about myself and my willingness to work in this company . . . "

Really liked that answer

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                          This is probably the most common response.

My cousin answered Chocolate and she got the job. Although it wasnt a very high level entry position

Id probably look at the role itself. See the structure of the position they are offering and then compliment the position by making your weakness something they would never need worry about due to how well they've structured their particular department. Also mentioning you are a quick learner and are more than happy to ask from those above until you are sure you have a full handle on it and fixed your "flaw"
                                                          GAA News Website

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                            Unless you get a prick of an interviewer who then says they asked you for your biggest weakness not a past weakness that you have rectified. "Perhaps your biggest weakness is your grasp of questions in the english language?"
                                                            If the interviewer was being a dick like that representing a company I was applying for it'd probably be for the best that I didn't end up in a company like that.

I've never really heard of any interviews where the recruiter actively tries to fuck you over.
                                                            Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

thinks its right click and hold and move as you would a window with the left click ?
                                                              thanks, think i tried left clicking 20 times.

Comment

I got asked in an interview the other day where did I see the company going in the next 6 months. Given the business it is I so wanted to say Recievership and tell them what a stupid fucking question it was. Also, Why do you want to work for blah, because I need a job and to earn money. People doing interviews really do not seem to update their standard questions which I would consider no longer relevant now

Comment

I don't agree with this. To me I would take his to mean can't hit the ground running and will need loads of cuddles to settle in. Basically could be a pain in the arse during inductions.
                                                                  Originally posted by markc View Post
                                                                  Whatever you say don't say this. For a start you are not answering the question and also you are saying something that anyone applying for the job could say. I have never asked this question when interviewing but if I did I'd be looking for someone with some self awareness who is not afraid to point out things about themselves that they would like to improve. Common areas that a lot of people can improve on would be:

- Time management
                                                                  - Managing a diverse workload where priorities shift continuously
                                                                  - Learning how to say no in a constructive way
                                                                  - Escalating issues and asking for help when required
                                                                  - Improving presentation skills

Pitch it more as something you are aware of and that you try to keep an eye to improving it and you will be fine. You could also ask if the company has any supports in place for personal development in these areas (e.g. maybe they have internal training or would pay for a course in time management if it was something you could benefit from)
                                                                  meh, never had an interview where I wasn't offered the job afterwards.

Obviously context is important, and frankly if they're hiring or not based on this question then there's a bigger problem to fix

Comment

Denis Taylor is insanely good at calling where balls are going to end up even if it looks inpossibly close to call.
                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Confession; have never had to put together a proper CV...until now. (hired straight out of college and walked into current job through contacts)

any good websites for tips on constructing CVs etc?

Raoul Duke III, completely awesome. Willing to consider all roles paying massive wedge.

has the advantage of brevity but I feel something is missing.
                                                                      Have a look at your colleagues LinkedIn pages and copy the best stuff from there. LinkedIn format is very good as a CV format. You should probably do up a page on the site for that matter.
                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

All those bullshit HR questions make my skin crawl. The truth is that the expected utility difference between suitably qualified candidates is minuscule for most jobs. I read a book on peoples' ability to find patterns in randomness and the truth is that the ridiculously highly paid Fortune 500 CEOs and movie studio heads are just the ones who experienced the best variance.
                                                                        The head of Columbia studios was fired because he failed to make a difference in his first few years, but had just OK'd Men in Black, the 5th Element, Jerry Maguire, Air Force One before he got the sack. JK Rowling had the first Potter book rejected by 9 publishers.
                                                                        If you could run a split test based on the performance of people who answered the question 'what's your biggest weakness?' well and poorly in their jobs, you'd find nothing separating them.
                                                                        'Do you like to work in a team?' Well I don't spring out of bed in the morning delighted at the prospect of working in close quarters with other humans. If I need to talk to them during the course of my day I will, if I don't then I won't you pseudo-science peddling twat.
                                                                        Thankfully I've done one meaningful interview ever (lol Intel) and don't ever plan on doing another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                          Have a look at your colleagues LinkedIn pages and copy the best stuff from there. LinkedIn format is very good as a CV format. You should probably do up a page on the site for that matter.
                                                                          This is very true, I get more queries and job offers through linkedin than anywhere else by far.

Comment

Fully convinced that my financial markets class is full of retards.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                              Fully convinced that my financial markets class is full of retards.
                                                                              they'll fit in well when they graduate so

Comment

That Spud interview always reminds me of a friend of mine who was being interviewed for a job as a hospital porter and was asked Do you smoke? he replied "eh cigarettes?"
                                                                                As it happens the guy is now ceo of a hospital with a budget in the 000's of millions, career trajectory FTW.
                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

This is very true, I get more queries and job offers through linkedin than anywhere else by far.
                                                                                  It is where I find most of my guys

Comment

Innovative way to break your neck/drown.
                                                                                    Looks class all the same.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

There are some poor efforts up there aswell so put a bit of work into it.

Here is an example of a gack LinkedIn page that smacks of slovenliness :
                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

@SatNav

This was posted up a few days ago. real good version of that song you like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M

Comment

Tell them that you had an addiction to Italian food,but it's all in the pasta now.
                                                                                          Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

I must be the worst user of LinkedIn ever, I hate engaging with recruiters when not actively looking for work so I am terrible for not responding to their messages and thus probably pissing them off forever! Although I'm a dab hand at the old social media marketing for other organisations (IMHO), I conversely don't particularly enjoy networking on it at all, I'm too private a person to be any good at networking full stop. God, I used to hate working the media event at the Irish Open, it was stressful just thinking about it!

Comment

American HR questions are 10 times worse from my experiences over there. Remember going for a group interview for some shity summer job in San Diego, there where two of my mates from Ireland and about 7 of the most idiotic American people I've ever met, one of whom didn't answer a single question all interview, just sat there nervously playing with a bean bag and froze up whenever even the most basic of questions was asked of her. Another dude said when asked why he wanted the job that he'd conquered Sacramento and Mississippi and now he's here to conquer California. Anyway for some reason completely counterproductive to getting the job myself and my two mates decided to try out-do each other in giving progressively fantastical answers to the ridiculous questions. When I was asked to account a time when I prioritised somebody or something over potential personal gain I replied something along the lines of this:
                                                                                              "when I was 16 I was a really promising footballer, I'd had several trials in England and one summers day Manchester United offered me a one year contract to play for the youth team, but my father had only recently lost his long term job and future prospects looked bleak due to his age and dodgy hip. I'd only recently started an apprenticeship and whilst the wages were very modest it helped put a meal on the table for my family in the evenings. Everyone was telling me to go for it but I knew how much they'd struggle and chances of success in England were far from assured so I turned that contract down for what I thought was the greater good for my family"

My mates had to restrain from pissing themselves laughing but my fellow American interviewees seemed to love the story going by their sympathetic gestures. Alas we never got that job in pacific cinema but Sacramento conqueror was working the popcorn the next time we went back. He must be at least CEO of that company by now.
                                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Something many employers really should be screening for instead of asinine questions about biggest weakness:

Comment

Tartare journey, a step too far
                                                                                                  I bit a chunk out of a live cow last week.

Do I win the dick measuring competition?

Comment

see it on the gadget show, looks class all right

Originally posted by Bless You View Post
                                                                                                    Innovative way to break your neck/drown.
                                                                                                    Looks class all the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFwQuffr_Y

Comment

Why did the polish guy cross the road?

To steal the chickens job.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                        First off, look down on them for asking a dumb question, then maybe say something that was a small weakness, but that you've improved. "When I started my last job I found that the demands on my time for different tasks was quite difficult to manage to keep everyone happy. So I implemented a new time management approach that meant I was better able to fulfil my duties".

Don't know, maybe something along those lines i.e. don't actually answer the question, but instead twist it into something that makes you look good? Don't forget to look down on them though and subconsciously get across the message of: "ahh did you just read your first 'how to interview' book, that's soooooo cute! hey, how about asking me whether I like working in a team next?"
                                                                                                        again, answering an inability to suffer fools gladly doesn't endear yourself to an interview panel.
                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Would rather get asked the stupid old questions then the new trendy google and facebook nonsense.

On the other side of the HR q's yes they can be frustrating to have to answer but there are some reasons to use them even if that is not the same reason as many others do.

Why you want to work for a company is the most valid interview question of all so anyone who doesn't like his is a fool. Yes money is a motivator for nearly everyone but its the other answers that count.

For my type its so that when multiple offers come in I know what buttons to press to sell my job over the other one.

For the other side it is to judge what will keep hem working productively and if they are really just interested in a solid salary or if there is more too it. Some jobs require a journeyman and a real go getter will get frustrated others need someone with drive and a journeyman will get swamped.

Horses for courses but about the most important question you will answer. Comes in many guises but you will answer it at some stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Horney View Post
                                                                                                            Why did the polish guy cross the road?

To steal the chickens job.
                                                                                                            The bastard should fuck off home.

Comment

Eight toughest interview questions

Yahoo! UK & Ireland Finance - Compare financial services & find free personal financial advice. Home of investment news & London stock exchange data as well as large range of personal finance products including credit card comparisons, mortgage calculators, cheap car insurance, personal loans and UK tax & pension advice.
                                                                                                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidWe...17622831832879
                                                                                                              http://mayopubpoker.com/

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                                                I bit a chunk out of a live cow last week.

Do I win the dick measuring competition?
                                                                                                                How are you at online scrabble.

Comment

still havent received the redundancy call, been on to my mole to find out why...turns out they looked at my contract and im entitled to two months notice instead of one I wouldnt have been any the wiser!! Ship ship!

EDIT: Also, did an online interview today, fingers crossed on that one!
                                                                                                                  http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                                                                                                  donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

so, basically my, ahem, friend shouldn't say "Asian prostitutes"?
                                                                                                                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

so, basically my, ahem, friend shouldn't say "Asian prostitutes"?
                                                                                                                      Say kryptonite. And if they don't get the reference they aren't cool enough to work for.

Comment

Would rather get asked the stupid old questions then the new trendy google and facebook nonsense.

On the other side of the HR q's yes they can be frustrating to have to answer but there are some reasons to use them even if that is not the same reason as many others do.

Why you want to work for a company is the most valid interview question of all so anyone who doesn't like his is a fool. Yes money is a motivator for nearly everyone but its the other answers that count.

For my type its so that when multiple offers come in I know what buttons to press to sell my job over the other one.

For the other side it is to judge what will keep hem working productively and if they are really just interested in a solid salary or if there is more too it. Some jobs require a journeyman and a real go getter will get frustrated others need someone with drive and a journeyman will get swamped.

Horses for courses but about the most important question you will answer. Comes in many guises but you will answer it at some stage.
                                                                                                                        The thing I find ridiculous about it is that its reached the level of being a game of lies. 'We know that you're lying about all of the answers you're giving, but it makes us feel good to hear that people want to work hard, so we'll all keep up the charade and choose the most genuine of the liars'

What motivates you to get up and go to work?: The real answer for almost everyone is: money, staving off cabin fever/need for routine, sense of purpose, in descending order.

Why did you leave your last job?: Almost universally because they hated some/all aspects of it.

What are your weaknesses?: I hate getting up early, I surf the internet when I should be working sometimes, I have no patience for morons.

Why should we hire you?: An interview isn't going to be determinate as to whether any of the candidates here today will be better than others. Why not give us all a trial and vote one of us off the island every week until the best remains?

These are the 'true' answers to these questions, and just because somebody thinks this way doesn't make it any less likely that they'll do the job well than someone who knows how to play the game, but try saying the above when you're interviewed!

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                                                                                                                          Say kryptonite. And if they don't get the reference they aren't cool enough to work for.
                                                                                                                          Say Superman and then tell them you go by the name of Zod on an Internet forum obv..
                                                                                                                          Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X