This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post

henderson at that price? Did anyone watch the u21s. Feel sorry for the lad, he's good and promising but that price tag means he has to start performing
    They're almost ruining their young English talents with these ridiculous fees. British media overhype these players after a couple of good performances. Poorly informed teams like Liverpool/City spend stupid money on them. Suddenly there's massive expectations and pressure on the players to hit the ground running and perform consistantly, and if they don't the same media that built them up will knock them down as quick. It's a vicious circle.
    Profit before people.

Comment

Strong United team for tonight

Lindegaard, Fab, Evans, Vidic, Raf; Nani, Carrick, Anderson, Young; Rooney, Berbatov
      Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Just said all this on my facebook

Like really, whats the story??

Young > downing. 18< 20
        henderson at that price? Did anyone watch the u21s. Feel sorry for the lad, he's good and promising but that price tag means he has to start performing

Heard a story re Carroll which I believe to be fully true. They agreed a fee. Confirmed it was done so they could sell Torres. Sell Torres. Go back to newcaslte and the figure rose by 30%

lolverpool

You mean like Anderson has?

What is hendersons ability then?
        We see him breaking on to the scene in the middle for Sunderland. A weak team, especially in the midfield, were one of their loan players is one of their best players.
        He stands out here - well done, and i sincerely mean that

then the transfer to liverpool.Its understandable that they want to sign a good young player who seems to possess ambition and drive. But paying over 23 million for a completely unproven player is ridic

So having this price tag on his shoulders, we examine him at the next available opportunity, which is playing U21 with his country. A stage at which a player worth 20mill + should shine (or should i say 10 million plus)
        He didnt. Whether it was nerves or that he hasnt "progressed" that much as a footballer im not sure, probably a mixture of both.

To say we cant judge him on this performance (or lack of) is wrong. It just helped re-affirm my belief that he was over priced. Un doubtedly a good player, but it will be years until we see if he was really worth 23£.

All in all, from what we've seen so far - bad transfer valuation on Lpools part

Where the hell are you getting £23m from? Anyone basing his ability of the U21's is pretty retarded.
        Last edited by Teddie; 13-07-11, 23:13.

Comment

Ugh,time for bed,gnight.
          Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Its also pretty drooltastic to judge Henderson on one underage competition with one of the worst youth managers England have ever had. Both Man United and Man City had been linked with Henderson for similar enough prices in the window before he moved to Liverpool.

Opr

Comment

United fans hate Kenny because he got Shearer to sign for Blackburn over them. They are afraid of him also because he won a league title with Rovers when they thought they were untouchable. And he won loads with Liverpool as a player and as a manager. So they are taking any chance they get to attack Liverpool and Dalglish now because they just know in the back of their minds with the owners at Liverpool now and a legend in charge of the team that its very likely they will overtake United again. And then of course there is City and their megabucks. Its not looking rosy for United like it has been for a long time now.
              'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                They're almost ruining their young English talents with these ridiculous fees. British media overhype these players after a couple of good performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Donk Magnet View Post
                  how abt berba and juan seba class true utd class
                  I'm not interested in point scoring (I'll leave that to the teams), but what I do want is just a hint of objectivity.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                    United fans hate Kenny because he got Shearer to sign for Blackburn over them. They are afraid of him also because he won a league title with Rovers when they thought they were untouchable. And he won loads with Liverpool as a player and as a manager. So they are taking any chance they get to attack Liverpool and Dalglish now because they just know in the back of their minds with the owners at Liverpool now and a legend in charge of the team that its very likely they will overtake United again. And then of course there is City and their megabucks. Its not looking rosy for United like it has been for a long time now.
                    Where is that Liverpool graph again?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                      Fact of the matter is that trophys >>>> transfer fees.
                      That's exactly why Liverpool are spending money to improve their squad.

then the transfer to liverpool.Its understandable that they want to sign a good young player who seems to possess ambition and drive. But paying over 23 million for a completely unproven player is ridic
                      Understandable they'd want to sign a good young player for the 15 million reported. 23 million, where'd you find that nugget?

To say we cant judge him on this performance (or lack of) is wrong.
                      It's not a huge stetch that a much better manager than Stuart Pearce can get alot more out of a good player, Pearce had one of the best ever England u21 squads available to him for christs sake but denied them any chance to play football.
                      We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                        Downing was Villa's player of the year last year, and Young also only had 12 months left on his contract. Utd spent the same on Phil Jones as Liverpool did on Downing, not to mention 17m or so on a 20 year old Spanish keeper yet I don't see you loling or questioning any of that.

I wish once in a while ye mancs would get off ye're high horses and see that the prices ye have paid for players this summer are no worse than the prices Liverpool have paid. Both paid too much for the players imo.
                        @ bold - Dont think Id normally be classed as a manc vs liverpool fanboy. I made these comments as i actually believe them. Alex fergusons ability in the transfer market is second to none, everyone makes mistakes there obviously, but looking at these transfers alone liverpool have over spent due to situation/panic/buying english. Better value could have been sought I believe. Its such rash spending in the past which left liverpool with such a gaping squad of recent.

Young is recognized internationally. Im not going to get into "who is better than who" but if you actually believe downing is better, then fair play to you - but I sincerely dont. No matter what team he went to

I think the fee for Jones is a little high. Possibly 5 million too much. But from what ive seen of him last year and in the U21 (DD ) he seems to be exactly what Man United are looking for in age/position and attitude. He may have been over priced, but a lot less so than Henderson IMO

De Gea is highly regarded as one of the best goalkeepers in the game at the moment. (schalke keeper best in europe last year). With how much keepers improve and with the ability he has shown already, De Gea seems to be a very good signing. Looking across the board at the prices paid for keepers its always an inflated price (buffon etc) or they are towards the last few years of their contract.
                        the life span of a keeper with what we;ve seen from De Gea already, doesnt seem to be a high cost at all. IMO of course which is the beauty of a forum. Get off the "your having a dig at my beloved liverpool" and perhaps articulate an argument back instead. No wonder these things normal develop into drowl

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                        Torres was Carroll+15
                        so Chelski paid for Carroll

That being the case, the higher the price for Carroll the better, no?

+As far as I'm aware they still haven't started buying players as a bribe to agents to grease the wheels for other transfers, so they got that going

I didnt hear or was I led to believe this was the story. Heard the Torres deal was done before the Carroll fwiw. But who knows

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                        Anderson cost Man United around 30m and Bebe cost around 9m but that's fine because only Man United can overpay for players I suppose.

Opr
                        Anderson was in Dungas provisional Copa American squad were he made his debut as they won it. At 19 and having been player of tournament at u17 world cup, following a brilliant season starring with porto and costing less than 20 million (30 mill?? )
                        GAA News Website

Comment

They're almost ruining their young English talents with these ridiculous fees. British media overhype these players after a couple of good performances. Poorly informed teams like Liverpool/City spend stupid money on them. Suddenly there's massive expectations and pressure on the players to hit the ground running and perform consistantly, and if they don't the same media that built them up will knock them down as quick. It's a vicious circle.

lol, But Phil jones wasn't overhyped and United did spent stupid money on him?

Young is recognized internationally? Is he wanted by Interpol or something?

Comment

Poorly informed teams like Liverpool/City spend stupid money on them.
                            Calling Kenny Dalglish poorly informed, really?

The man has more knowledge of the game and players than almost anyone in Europe.

Comment

Fruit lovers: I recommend buying cherries and nectarines atm. They are currently gorgeous. Cherries have a very short season, so buy them now.

Comment

Quiz Trippers on CH4 is outrageous viewing.

4oD on Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                  You mean like Anderson has?

Anderson had a super first season, but im not a big fan of his. Agree with his price tag when bought based on his proven skill and potential, dont think he's lived up to it though

Where the hell are you getting £23m from? Anyone basing his ability of the U21's is pretty retarded.
                                  23£ was a figure one article gave me. Another said the region of 16£ which i just saw. So not sure

Basing a players ability solely on one tournament would be very bad.
                                  Basing a players ability on what you have seen of him throughout a season as well as DURING the U21s is very valid. Being drawn to the first time he plays due to the price tag paid for him and wondering how will he handle the pressure and expecting a big performance from him is also understandably a normal expectation.

Calling someone pretty retarded without reading exactly what was said is, in the words of a great internet debater . . . "pretty retarded"
                                  GAA News Website

Comment

The man u and lolpool bickering started already pre season thrown in chelsea when drool bot chd climbs outta his wank pit
                                    can we not all agree 20 million is to much for any player

Comment

Dude, srsly, leave the trolling over in the other place when you come to talk to the grown ups would you?

Comment

23£ was a figure one article gave me. Another said the region of 16£ which i just saw. So not sure

Basing a players ability on what you have seen of him throughout a season as well as DURING the U21s is very valid. Being drawn to the first time he plays due to the price tag paid for him and wondering how will he handle the pressure and expecting a big performance from him is also understandably a normal expectation.

Calling someone pretty retarded without reading exactly what was said is, in the words of a great internet debater . . . "pretty retarded"
                                        To be fair ive only met Teddie once in real life and getting thrown outta the jackpot is pretty retarded even Semibluff full of souplelaves of his own accord

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
                                          Calling Kenny Dalglish poorly informed, really?

The man has more knowledge of the game and players than almost anyone in Europe.
                                          WTF are you basing that on? One of those ridiculous clichés you hear been banded around all the time.

The signings he's made over the past few months is the definition of unknowledgeable. Retarded probably more accurate.
                                          Last edited by The Situation; 13-07-11, 23:40.
                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Bring back Riera IMO. That money for Downing is meh, decent signing but not top quality. Ashley Young way overpriced too

Comment

What is hendersons ability then?
                                              We see him breaking on to the scene in the middle for Sunderland. A weak team, especially in the midfield, were one of their loan players is one of their best players.
                                              He stands out here - well done, and i sincerely mean that

So having this price tag on his shoulders, we examine him at the next available opportunity, which is playing U21 with his country. A stage at which a player worth 20mill + should shine (or should i say 10 million plus)
                                              He didnt. Whether it was nerves or that he hasnt "progressed" that much as a footballer im not sure, probably a mixture of both.

To say we cant judge him on this performance (or lack of) is wrong. It just helped re-affirm my belief that he was over priced. Un doubtedly a good player, but it will be years until we see if he was really worth 23£.

All in all, from what we've seen so far - bad transfer valuation on Lpools part
                                              Henderson's performance in the U21s (and I happened to watch all their games in full) was extremely concerning to me. To ignore that is stupid imo.

We are doing awful business this window thus far. Really fucking shite business. Kenny is the man, and FSG have a great record - but if any other club were involved in these two deals all the Liverpool fans on their high horse would be lolling in unison at them.

Hypocrisy is really fucking cool eh.
                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

If you really think Liverpool are under educated in the youth market then you are very ill informed. Its probably one of the clubs biggest strengths at the moment. Liverpool may be trying to redress the balance of the academy by over paying for young English players but I doubt with the talent coming through it will matter.

@ Sledgejammer - Do you know of a player currently at Atheltico Madrid most likely an U18 player referred to as Nacho ?

Opr

Comment

lol, But Phil jones wasn't overhyped and United did spent stupid money on him?

Young is recognized internationally? Is he wanted by Interpol or something?
                                                  Young is a regular starter for his country. Is recognized by the international manager to be of this quality (i think capello may have a slight clue)

Chucky, your one of the reasons I wouldnt normally bother posting about football when these teams are mentioned

also my fave saying now
                                                  "Ready, Fire, Aim"
                                                  GAA News Website

Comment

As a Untd fan I expressed disappointment with youngs signing on here. I like the Jones sgining though. I think the English talent is at an all time low. Look at City, barry and Milner englands WC players are so mediocre it's shocking. United need a fecking Central Midfielder but I don't rate any of the English at all. One player I'm surprised hasn't got more attention is Adel Taarabt the sulky but silky player, is really talented, needs to grow up . havn't looked at the wheelin and dealing much but honestly, to close the gap you need better than Henderson and Downing, who cares what ye are paying but honestly
                                                    too much for those liaddies imo., I don't get it. villa player of the year ain't saying much at all.

feckin recorded the apprentice, the drgon girl wil have to wait til tomorrow. Come on Susan

In other better news, my sis got two news legs today .

Im all but honestly'd out
                                                    Last edited by Solskjaer; 13-07-11, 23:35.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                      Henderson's performance in the U21s (and I happened to watch all their games in full) was extremely concerning to me. To ignore that is stupid imo.

We are doing awful business this window thus far. Really fucking shite business. Kenny is the man, and FSG have a great record - but if any other club were involved in these two deals all the Liverpool fans on their high horse would be lolling in unison at them.

Hypocrisy is really fucking cool eh.
                                                      THIS
                                                      GAA News Website

Comment

Which article gave £23m, it was £16.5m. So why do you feel sorry for him? IF you've seen him throughout the season then you know what he is capable off, he's performed regularly and top a high standard in the Premier league which is of a far higher standard then the u21's tournament. I really don't see how you can say he is unproven, he's had over 70 starts in the premier league. Has he not proven something with those starts? I suppose he didn't porve as much as Smalling did in his 9 PL starts that earned him a £12m price tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                          As a Untd fan I expressed disappointment with youngs signing on here. I like the Jones sgining though. I think the English talent is at an all time low. Look at City, barry and Milner englands WC players are so mediocre it's shocking. United need a fecking Central Midfielder but I don't rate any of the English at all. One player I'm surprised hasn't got more attention is Adel Taarabt the sulky but silky player, is really talented, needs to grow up . havn't looked at the wheelin and dealing much but honestly, to close the gap you need better than Henderson and Downing, who cares what ye are paying but honestly
                                                          too much for those liaddies imo., I don't get it. villa player of the year ain't saying much at all.

feckin recorded the apprentice, the drgon girl wil have to wait til tomorrow. Come on Susan

In other better news, my sis got two news legs today .
                                                          Whats 2 new legs a baby?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                            Dude, srsly, leave the trolling over in the other place when you come to talk to the grown ups would you?
                                                            If people are gonna act as dumb over here as there then I'll do that sort of stuff.

Not talking about everybody but Semibluff's post there was just typical sf muck, as was Teddies with the in it.

And yes Semibluff you came out with DeGea is rated one of the best in Europe which is wrong, he is rated a talent for the future nothing more than that. And that comment re the Schalke being the best in Europe last season was just so droolertastic. What are you basing that on, a couple of Champion's League games against United?
                                                            'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                                              Whats 2 new legs a baby?

2 new legs in the national ehab centre. lost both over the past few years from diabetes.
                                                              last one just this feb.

It's a humbling and uplifting experience to see a former gravely ill womans determination to become a normal person again. remarkable lady is my sis.

Comment

Young is a regular starter for his country. Is recognized by the international manager to be of this quality (i think capello may have a slight clue)

Chucky, your one of the reasons I wouldnt normally bother posting about football when these teams are mentioned

also my fave saying now
                                                                "Ready, Fire, Aim"

Young is a regular starter now? He started 2 games this year, started 1 game last year, started 1 the year before that, none the year before that. I wouldn't consider that very regular. He's made 27 appearances since 2007. If the reason you don't post is because you'll be caught out of the stuff you post then fair enough.

Comment

If people are gonna act as dumb over here as there then I'll do that sort of stuff.

Not talking about everybody but Semibluff's post there was just typical sf muck, as was Teddies with the in it.

And yes Semibluff you came out with DeGea is rated one of the best in Europe which is wrong, he is rated a talent for the future nothing more than that. And that comment re the Schalke being the best in Europe last season was just so droolertastic. What are you basing that on, a couple of Champion's League games against United?
                                                                  Nope, im basing it on the opinion of guys who follow football and have a lot higher understanding of the game than you. Re Neurer (schalke keeper)

the above is your opinion. Which, i suppose your entitled to.

*note to self, to reply to EE anymore
                                                                  GAA News Website

Comment

If you really think Liverpool are under educated in the youth market then you are very ill informed. Its probably one of the clubs biggest strengths at the moment. Liverpool may be trying to redress the balance of the academy by over paying for young English players but I doubt with the talent coming through it will matter.
                                                                    Opr
                                                                    This was Arsenal's party line for about 10 years. "Them youths are going to come good". Then they turned out to be Jeramie Aliadaire and Seb Laarson, and these were the ones that made it. Pfft I'll believe it when I see it but won't be holding my breath.
                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

2 new legs in the national ehab centre. lost both over the past few years from diabetes.
                                                                      last one just this feb.

It's a humbling and uplifting experience to see a former gravely ill womans determination to become a normal person again. remarkable lady is my sis.
                                                                      Wow sounds very tough guess shell have to learn how too walk again basically
                                                                      its only when you see poeple trying to overcome real problems you realise how trivial many of yours are

Comment

This was Arsenal's party line for about 10 years. "Them youths are going to come good". Then they turned out to be Jeramie Aliadaire and Seb Laarson, and these were the ones that made it. Pfft I'll believe it when I see it but won't be holding my breathe.
                                                                        If it's good enough for pep guardiola it's good enough for me.

Comment

Nope, im basing it on the opinion of guys who follow football and have a lot higher understanding of the game than you. Re Neurer (schalke keeper)

the above is your opinion. Which, i suppose your entitled to.

*note to self, to reply to EE anymore
                                                                          Names these experts you rely on for your information then.

Comment

Regarding our Youth system: there is no doubt that Benitez completely overhauled it and we have more prospects there than in quite some time. But so far, Pacheo the big hype out of it has failed to ignite. That doesn't mean anything in of itself - but it is instructive to how misleading crushing underage / reserve team football can be.
                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

WTF are you basing that on? One of those ridiculous clichés you hear been banded around all the time.

The signings he's made over the past few months is the definition of unknowledgeable. Retarded probably more accurate.
                                                                              What are you basing your comment that Liverpool are poorly informed on?
                                                                              Do you know something the club don't?

Are you claiming to know more than Kenny Dalglish?

Gary Linekar
                                                                              I'VE been in Kenny Dalglish's company many times around the world and one thing never ceases to amaze me.

We'll be having lunch or dinner or just a quiet drink but if there's football on a television screen anywhere close to us, we've lost him.

He'll know every player, where they came from, their strengths and weaknesses and how the manager sets his team out. To describe his knowledge as encyclopaedic is to do him a disservice.

Tactically, he's so sharp that he leaves the rest of us for dead. He's one of those rare breed, a truly great player who made the transition to become a truly great manager. In a way, he's similar to Johan Cruyff who I worked with at Barcelona.
                                                                              Alan Hansen
                                                                              He has followed football closely and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of players around the world, far more than I would ever know, so to suggest he has been 'away' from football is nonsense.
                                                                              Last edited by dannydiamond; 13-07-11, 23:54.

Comment

@ Sledgejammer - Do you know of a player currently at Atheltico Madrid most likely an U18 player referred to as Nacho ?

Opr
                                                                                No, not off hand, is he exclusively a youth player? My knowledge doesn't go nearly that deep I'm afraid

I assume he's linked with a move to Liverpool? I don't think he's played much at all in the first team anyway unless I've just managed to miss him which is possible given how difficult it is to get coverage outside of the big two in Spain over here.
                                                                                "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Names these experts you rely on for your information then.
                                                                                  Meh, the few times I've talked football with Donal it strikes me that he's forgotten a lot more about the game than I'll ever know.

Comment

Regarding our Youth system: there is no doubt that Benitez completely overhauled it and we have more prospects there than in quite some time. But so far, Pacheo the big hype out of it has failed to ignite. That doesn't mean anything in of itself - but it is instructive to how misleading crushing underage / reserve team football can be.

What about Martin Kelly?

Comment

Firstly - anyone who use a phrase like loliverpool at the end of their post to accuse others of being the ones drag the conversation into drool is a bit rich.

Also, Liverpool were always going to be up against it this summer to get in real quality as they have no champions league to entice the type of names they need to realistically challenge for the league.

I'm not a massive fan of the business they have done for the prices they have done it at. However, I'm prepared to wait and judge rather than saying "they are overpriced crap" or even "they are brilliant, we are the bestest". What Liverpool need to do is get back in the top 4. Downing aside (who turns 27 next month I believe), all the other big money signings are pretty young. If they turn out to be total flops then it is irrelevant their age, but if they don't, then many years of service will see the price paid for them as money well spent. It is far too early to judge though.

De Gea is a huge risk imo. He could turn out to be a rock for 15 years, but at 20 years of age, if he makes a few high profile mistakes, and all mistakes at utd are high profile, then it could turn out pretty badly for him as well. Phil Jones has a bit more security having other cb's of the quality he does around him, but is still pretty young to tell whether he is worth all the promise that he has shown so far at 19.

You say you trust Fergusons judgement. It was only in January that he was linked with Henderson and Adam. I'm not sure how firm that interest was, but I can tell from your post above that you would be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to him if he signed them, but not to Kenny.

Wait and see what the season brings. If Liverpool get more than 70 points it will have been a step in the right direction, if they get less than that I will be disappointed, and things can be re-evaluated then, but lolling at transfers and teams before a season has even started is just pointless.

Comment

When grown men become children.

Sport has a lot to answer for.

Comment

last one just this feb.

This is the important stuff, not football when you get down to it.

Comment

FAO Megatron/CC

I would appreciate it very much if Boylepoker could see there way to stop trying to cooler me in 900bb pots. KK vs 77 on a K73 flop. Luckiliy im awesome enough to avoid this one, or scared, im not sure.

And just now again vs a shortie thank god A4 on an 4A4 flop vs AA.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Lineker and Hansen ay. Should have taken Icky's advice about 50 posts ago. G'night.
                                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Meh, the few times I've talked football with Donal it strikes me that he's forgotten a lot more about the game than I'll ever know.
                                                                                                Flattering LLoydy, TY. But mine is just an opinion. As is that of whom I decide to listen to. We all have others we value opinions on in football, naming who I respect in such regard is ridic.

If we all agreed then it would be a boring place huh ?
                                                                                                GAA News Website

Comment

What are you basing your comment that Liverpool are poorly informed on?
                                                                                                  Do you know something the club they don't?

Are you claiming to know more than Kenny Dalglish?
                                                                                                  No opinion on the content but quoting the News Of The World as a source of those comments, and also having a mispelt Lineker is pretty funny.

Also funnier given Liverpool's fans reaction to their sister paper The Sun. Is it ok to buy their papers if they are defending your manager?

Comment

What about Martin Kelly?
                                                                                                    I think his point Teddie is that those that star at underrage football don't often become big at senior level. Everybody has been raving about Pacheco but he has failed to this point to break into the Liverpool team or even get close to it. And then you look at the likes of Jay Spearing who didn't crush it at youth level and he has settled in nicely this season in the senior squad.

Comment

This was Arsenal's party line for about 10 years. "Them youths are going to come good". Then they turned out to be Jeramie Aliadaire and Seb Laarson, and these were the ones that made it. Pfft I'll believe it when I see it but won't be holding my breath.
                                                                                                      Liverpool's youth system is now run by the same guys behind the Barcelona's academy who Rafa managed to poach. Guardiola has said a number of complementary things over the last few weeks. I have always been a fan of following youth at Liverpool and honestly I have never seen anything like the number of kids who look to have real promise coming through.

God you are on a complete downer tonight. Pacheco is only 20 and did pretty well today for the first team, give the kid a break.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                        When grown men become children.

Sport has a lot to answer for.
                                                                                                        It's fkin brilliant that sport does this for us, I aint dead yet.

Comment

This is the important stuff, not football when you get down to it.
                                                                                                          cheers, she sez loliverpool(similar) quite a lot though. Although she still thinks Stevie Highway is on the wing. to be honest fottie talk is lol unless there is either money or ribbing involved, anything else makes me scared for us blokes.

Lolierpool ftw

Comment

What about Martin Kelly?
                                                                                                            He's been brilliant - but he wasn't the most hyped player. Flanagan, Robinson and Sterling could all come good too. It's in a good situation, but people should be cautious imo.

Comment

Firstly - anyone who use a phrase like loliverpool at the end of their post to accuse others of being the ones drag the conversation into drool is a bit rich.

Also, Liverpool were always going to be up against it this summer to get in real quality as they have no champions league to entice the type of names they need to realistically challenge for the league.

I'm not a massive fan of the business they have done for the prices they have done it at. However, I'm prepared to wait and judge rather than saying "they are overpriced crap" or even "they are brilliant, we are the bestest". What Liverpool need to do is get back in the top 4. Downing aside (who turns 27 next month I believe), all the other big money signings are pretty young. If they turn out to be total flops then it is irrelevant their age, but if they don't, then many years of service will see the price paid for them as money well spent. It is far too early to judge though.

De Gea is a huge risk imo. He could turn out to be a rock for 15 years, but at 20 years of age, if he makes a few high profile mistakes, and all mistakes at utd are high profile, then it could turn out pretty badly for him as well. Phil Jones has a bit more security having other cb's of the quality he does around him, but is still pretty young to tell whether he is worth all the promise that he has shown so far at 19.

You say you trust Fergusons judgement. It was only in January that he was linked with Henderson and Adam. I'm not sure how firm that interest was, but I can tell from your post above that you would be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to him if he signed them, but not to Kenny.

Wait and see what the season brings. If Liverpool get more than 70 points it will have been a step in the right direction, if they get less than that I will be disappointed, and things can be re-evaluated then, but lolling at transfers and teams before a season has even started is just pointless.
                                                                                                              I did laugh at the signings when i saw them, and lolpool has a sort of simplistic attraction to it esp at 12 in the night.

United are constantly being linked with players, as you say - hard to know how solid the link is. If fergie had signed henderson for that money or adams i would be very shocked.
                                                                                                              Fergie would deserve a little more "wait and see" unfortunately, due to his recent and current form
                                                                                                              This is something Kenny has to prove, or regain. However you want to view it.

I honestly dont think that the value of signings was good business for liverpool, Considering the money spent. We will see i spose. It will be nice to see the old rivalries properly re-ignited next season if Liverpool can reach 70 points as you say
                                                                                                              GAA News Website

Comment

God you are on a complete downer tonight. Pacheco is only 20 and did pretty well today for the first team, give the kid a break.

Opr
                                                                                                                He hasn't endeared himself to me over the past 12 months. But yes, I am on a downer - I just can't understand why some very smart people seem dead set on using resources (that have to be limited) in such an inefficient manner.

As always when speculating negatively about our future - I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong in the long run...

Comment

He's been brilliant - but he wasn't the most hyped player. Flanagan, Robinson and Sterling could all come good too. It's in a good situation, but people should be cautious imo.

Yea, Eagleeye pointed out what you meant, the hyped one has struggled so far. But if all the current hyped players like Suso and sterling struggle but a couple of other guys similar to Kelly, Flanagan and Robinson sneak through then the future will be pretty good. I also think a lot of people forget how rare it is for players to come through at 20,21 and look the part, especially for midfielders.

Comment

He hasn't endeared himself to me over the past 12 months. But yes, I am on a downer - I just can't understand why some very smart people seem dead set on using resources (that have to be limited) in such an inefficient manner.
                                                                                                                    I understand where you're coming from Lloyd but how can you know that the cash has been spent in an 'inefficent manner'?

Henderson is young and the club have obv seen something in him. The powers that be obv see a few good years in Downing to justify the outlay.

They might be the best available. For all we know other targets have been denied.
                                                                                                                    There's no doubt our squad has been getting stronger with each signing, and we're way off the transfer deadline yet.

Comment

Holy fuck, Paraguay in a IPB syndicate accum
                                                                                                                      winning 3-1 going with injury time left, ends 3-3
                                                                                                                      FFS

Comment

I understand where you're coming from Lloyd but how can you know that the cash has been spent in an 'inefficent manner'?

Henderson is young and the club have obv seen something in him. The powers that be obv see a few good years in Downing to justify the outlay.

They might be the best available. For all we know other targets have been denied.
                                                                                                                        There's no doubt our squad has been getting stronger with each signing, and we're way off the transfer deadline yet.
                                                                                                                        Charlie Adam is far and away the best of those signings

Comment

As always when speculating negatively about our future - I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong in the long run...
                                                                                                                          He was on loan to Norwich for most of the last 12months where he did quite well for a 20 year old kid.

Henderson we overpaid no doubt but as you said in the Liverpool thread you had seen very little of him prior to the youth competition. In fairness most of the England players looked horrible playing for a manger who had no clue. In terms of players who created the most chances in the PL last season, Henderson finished 3rd with 78! He is still very young and good people see huge ability in him.

Downing provides a real solution to the left for Liverpool which is something we have really struggled with over a number of years. I can't remember a proper player who has come close to being convincing in that position in many a year with Reira coming closest. I also think given what various sources have said about not blocking talent to the first team the age profile was something which was looked at in regards Sterling.

Opr
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Opr; 14-07-11, 00:19.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X