Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh to be a fly on the wall at this meeting http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking4.html
    Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
      Middle managements job is to insure that middle management has a job at the end of the day

HR's job is to hire yes men, people who will stay at least 18 months and people who will treat them as management & not the pointless muppet who plays solitare all day in the corner office

Mate of mine is in Intel, when they had all the layoffs a few years ago, i asked him if he was affected
      "sur im one of the few people who knows how the machines work lol"
      He told me it was all middlemanagement and all they ever did for years was sit around drinking coffee talking company shyte
      I did 6 months work experience there. Nightmare stuff. Outside of the fab it's pure Dilbert country.
      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Could someone explain to me why that spider pig lark was funny

I never saw the point of it,
        Was it indeed muck or is it just the cultural joke that proved ive gotten old?

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
          Chuckie is teddy is he not?

No chance Eddie is pgodkin imo. Not the same posting style among reasons. I'd lay the 4/1 pretty hard!
          I wasn't aware of that, and tbh I wasn't totally gone on Chucky being him either due to the lack of *s in his posts.
          'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

why is the hud not coming up on stars when i move tables?????
            anyone

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
              This 100%. Maybe El S's judgement is clouded from hanging around the Irish live cash scene where obviously there are a substantial amount of degens but friends I've made through poker are far more trustworthy and honest than 90% of people I've met irl.
              definately agree with this -pretty much everyone i have dealt with with money swaps and % swaps have been 100% honest

i think its pretty retarded of el stunt to group every poker player into one untrustworthy group

Comment

Comment

12658847746440 - code for a £500 freeroll Last Man Standing on PP, if anyone wants it

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                    I watched this on TG4 last night, wasnt it such a great goal, easily one of the best I have ever seen scored, only made better by the fact that he scored it against Dublin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeude2fn-4I
                    Reminds me of my first ever Dublin away match down in Thurles.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeQdf7uU344[/ame]

Easily the best finish to a GAA match I've witnessed, along with the best point ive ever seen scored ... Maurcie fitzgearld was such a sick player and that's coming from a Dub!

Comment

Originally posted by reilly110 View Post
                      i think its pretty retarded of el stunt to group every poker player into one untrustworthy group
                      thanks

just to be clear; everyone I've dealt with in terms of prop bets, taking %s etc has been 100% honest too. That wasn't really my point.
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                        12658847746440 - code for a £500 freeroll Last Man Standing on PP, if anyone wants it
                        Whens this tourney KEv
                        "Quitters never win, Winners never quit."

Comment

I see here that Pfizer are scaremongering that up to 90% of all drugs bought online are fake. LOL

Last week I was able to walk in to a reputable main street pharmacy in Nairobi and have the choice of paying €240 for a years supply of a chemical that is costing me €85 per month here in the exact same GSK brand or €40 for a years supply of the exact same chemical as a generic.
                          Yea lads, scaremongering is what will sort your fckd business model out.
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            I see here that Pfizer are scaremongering that up to 90% of all drugs bought online are fake. LOL

Last week I was able to walk in to a reputable main street pharmacy in Nairobi and have the choice of paying €240 for a years supply of a chemical that is costing me €85 per month here in the exact same GSK brand or €40 for a years supply of the exact same chemical as a generic.
                            Yea lads, scaremongering is what will sort your fckd business model out.
                            even in Europe, you can get prescription drugs for about 1/3 of what they cost here; I remember them being madly cheap in Spain

there's some sweetheart deal that the pharmas have with the Govt here - it might actually make sense from a macro perspective when you consider that they are propping up our economy (or what's left of it)

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              thanks

just to be clear; everyone I've dealt with in terms of prop bets, taking %s etc has been 100% honest too. That wasn't really my point.
                              well in your post you bascially said you would deem poker players untrustworthy in relation to full time employment- mind boggling !

if this is not your point then i just dont get it !

Comment

I once interviewed a guy who had stacked me in the Fitz after calling all in with 79o about two months before hand. Luckily I didn't have any dilemma as he was even more clueless about IT than poker.
                                sounds abit like me a while back

Comment

i think i remember people talking about bonsai trees in this thread or maybe the old one. anyone know if i have much of a chance of saving this one? i've watered it a decent amount but the leaves just stayed wilted and are all dead now. should i just trim everything back and hope those are new shoots coming out the top?
                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 29-07-10, 03:05.

Comment

well in your post you bascially said you would deem poker players untrustworthy in relation to full time employment- mind boggling !

both yourself and smoothcall referenced prop bets, swapping %s etc

I'd agree that most poker players can always be trusted to pay up on these so we have no dispute there. That's the poker context sorted.

my point, as you allude to above is trust in a workplace situation. Some (obv. not all) poker players are degenerate gamblers, this makes them potentially untrustworthy - in a number of ways.

Comment

Originally posted by whyno View Post
                                      Whens this tourney KEv
                                      Starts with this weekends games

Comment

When you are hiring, you are trying to trim the herd. You can't go on your own personal relationships with poker players, you have to discriminate across the board that anyone applying to your company cannot be trusted as an employee 100% if they play poker for a living (or did) This does not mean you can loan him money and he'll give it back. What it means is he is more likely than a non poker player to

1) Stay up late playing poker and the obvious fall out in performance from that
                                        2) Be inclined to leave the job and recommence where he left off in his poker job
                                        3) Be a slave to two bosses , poker and the company
                                        4) IN all liklelihood not be 100% comitted to the role

There are more more points and I know these are all related but trust is not about swapping % etc. The Employers is looking for the right man for the job and in 995 of coase an ex poker players doesn't fit the bill

IMO.

Comment

managed to play 2 live donakaments last nigth and still be home by Cinderella time

and my car got whacked by spud-throwing knackers

good night all round
                                          Trip Report please.

5/4 Not a Level
                                          2/1 MD / RL / Random Wexford Account
                                          2/1 Tight Ted
                                          3/1 GL2Me
                                          4/1 P Godkin
                                          10/1 Cork People LOL
                                          Has to be MDWexford

Hey leave Pfizer alone I work for them!
                                          Last edited by KevIRL; 16-02-10, 18:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                            When you are hiring, you are trying to trim the herd. You can't go on your own personal relationships with poker players, you have to discriminate across the board that anyone applying to your company cannot be trusted as an employee 100% if they play poker for a living (or did) This does not mean you can loan him money and he'll give it back. What it means is he is more likely than a non poker player to

1) Stay up late playing poker and the obvious fall out in performance from that
                                            2) Be inclined to leave the job and recommence where he left off in his poker job
                                            3) Be a slave to two bosses , poker and the company
                                            4) IN all liklelihood not be 100% comitted to the role

There are more more points and I know these are all related but trust is not about swapping % etc. The Employers is looking for the right man for the job and in 995 of coase an ex poker players doesn't fit the bill

IMO.
                                            good post, who hijacked your account?

quick, post something about Liverpool or they'll think you've caught teh ghey!

Comment

Too late Willie has caught they ghey....Quaruntine needs to be set up or else he should be banned
                                              "Quitters never win, Winners never quit."

Comment

good post, who hijacked your account?

quick, post something about Liverpool or they'll think you've caught teh ghey!
                                                I have it on good authority that Ashley COle and SOl Cambell have bumped Uglies.

Comment

both yourself and smoothcall referenced prop bets, swapping %s etc

I'd agree that most poker players can always be trusted to pay up on these so we have no dispute there. That's the poker context sorted.

my point, as you allude to above is trust in a workplace situation. Some (obv. not all) poker players are degenerate gamblers, this makes them potentially untrustworthy - in a number of ways.
                                                  hold on now -do you not play poker a fair amount and have a real job in finance -does this not make you potentially untrustworthy in the workplace ?

and also expand on the number of way poker players can be untrustwothy in the work place -i think it would be interesting to hear

Comment

and also expand on the number of way poker players can be untrustwothy in the work place -i think it would be interesting to hear
                                                    For one they read here and 2plus2 all day.

Comment

hold on now -do you not play poker a fair amount and have a real job in finance -does this not make you potentially untrustworthy in the workplace ?
                                                      I guess so

subsitute the words 'degenerate gamblers' for 'poker players'

then I think you won't need me to list the reasons.

Don't take it personally, I'm not saying that you're a degen or that you're personally untrustworthy. I am saying that if you were silly enough to tell me at interview that you were a poker player, I'd immediately remove you from consideration for the job.

Comment

A few questions to flesh this thing out.....

Imagine you were interviewing yourself for your current role would you hire yourself?

Do you see a difference between someone who mentions they play poker casually once or twice a week and someone who has played full time for a period in excess of a year if they came in for an interview?

Is some unreliable truly degenerate gambler likely to mention that they have played poker professionally?

What is the value of honesty at an interview in your opinion?
                                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                          Has to be MDWexford

MDWexford is a Villa fan, not him.

Comment

Don't take it personally, I'm not saying that you're a degen or that you're personally untrustworthy. I am saying that if you were silly enough to tell me at interview that you were a poker player, I'd immediately remove you from consideration for the job.
                                                            I dunno if it would be that easy. Obviously it depends on the job but if someone like Phil Galfond or Taylor Caby who was extremely articulate and brimming with intelligence was sat in front of you, I don't think you would be so quick to label them a potential degen and cross them off the list. Many successful (online) players have branched out into affiliating, coaching, making training videos setting up websites that all show characteristics that would be very desirable for a lot of jobs to the point that the fact that it originated from poker becomes slightly irrelevant. In any case, I think a reasonably articulate player when dealing with an intelligent inverviewer can draw analogies to financial trading and risk management and accentuate the positive personality traits both required of the player, and acquired from the game enough to allay any doubts.

Comment

I guess so

subsitute the words 'degenerate gamblers' for 'poker players'

then I think you won't need me to list the reasons.

not taking it personally at all -just think its an interesting (if slight wharped imo) view that most people have of people who play poker for a living

anyway im off out to do my shopping with a stolen credit card -will check back later on replies

Comment

Laser kills mosquito in slow motion

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYXPqrXZ1eU[/ame]
                                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I find it hard to believe the people can't comprehend that Employers do not view poker playing as a plus when it comes to hiring. If it's not a plus why mention it. How many rolls can you apply for where the Employers want to hear that and will tick a pro box in youre favour. The argument is do you mention it. Of course not, nor do you mention that you lust after everything in a skirt, or stay up till the wee small hours of the morning praticing the harpsicord. Unless the information is of benefit don't mention it. If they ask for hobbys, try to fit your lies around the roll. Your aim is to get the job not to make a point that poker players have more saavy then non players. What is hard to get here?
                                                                  For the record I'd never hire El Stuntman as he is too obsessed with Bertie and this is very unhealthy.

PS, I'm so not ghey.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                    A few questions to flesh this thing out.....

Imagine you were interviewing yourself for your current role would you hire yourself?
                                                                    no, I'm overqualified and would be looking for too much money

I'd hire the eager young guy I used to be instead!

Do you see a difference between someone who mentions they play poker casually once or twice a week and someone who has played full time for a period in excess of a year if they came in for an interview?
                                                                    yes, of course.

The first category describes, well, me or you for example.

The second category could describe a successful pro, a head in the clouds dreamer who thought they could make it, or a full-on degen.

However, I'd be far more inclined to go with someone out of category 1, as long as they had a professional track record that was respectable.

but as I've said all along, someone dumb enough to tell me at interview that they play poker is probably too dumb to get the job!

Is some unreliable truly degenerate gambler likely to mention that they have played poker professionally?
                                                                    you'd hope not, they'd be better off to make up some bullshit about working with one-legged blind orphans in Africa for the gap period on their CV.

What is the value of honesty at an interview in your opinion?
                                                                    zero

it's a performance, you're trying to impress them and the truth (that's not easily verifiable anyway) has fuck all to do with that.

that's why we do psychometric testing

Comment

As an aside, I believe the ability of the interview process to determine the most suitable candidate to be extremely low.

Comment

but as I've said all along, someone dumb enough to tell me at interview that they play poker is probably too dumb to get the job!
                                                                        for a casual player yeah, but for a pro that can't be the case, mentioning poker is surely preferable to having a huge unexplainable gab in your employment history.
                                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 16-02-10, 14:16.

Comment

Originally posted by phantom_lord View Post
                                                                          for a casual player yeah, but for a pro surely that can't be the case, otherwise you're gonna have a huge unexplainable gab in your employment history.
                                                                          make something plausible up instead IMO

'I was travelling'

'I was working in the local community'

'I was abducted by aliens'

Comment

I find it hard to believe the people can't comprehend that Employers do not view poker playing as a plus when it comes to hiring. If it's not a plus why mention it. How many rolls can you apply for where the Employers want to hear that and will tick a pro box in youre favour. The argument is do you mention it. Of course not, nor do you mention that you lust after everything in a skirt, or stay up till the wee small hours of the morning praticing the harpsicord. Unless the information is of benefit don't mention it. If they ask for hobbys, try to fit your lies around the roll. Your aim is to get the job not to make a point that poker players have more saavy then non players. What is hard to get here?
                                                                            if I keep agreeing with you anymore, I'll end up in Dundrum

For the record I'd never hire El Stuntman as he is too obsessed with Bertie and this is very unhealthy.
                                                                            tell me about it

Comment

zero

it's a performance, you're trying to impress them and the truth (that's not easily verifiable anyway) has fuck all to do with that.

that's why we do psychometric testing
                                                                              Thanks for your reply.

On the last point I think for the interviewee there is a value in being honest*.

The "culture"/work ethos/environment that you end up working in can vary hugely. Giving honest answers about your outlook on life rather than sucking up at an interview should increase the chances that you end up somewhere you feel comfortable working and for a longer term job this is very important imo.

I've only had a few interviews in my life and tbh the last few interviews/informal tap ups I had I've been pretty honest as I didn't want to waste my time going somewhere that wouldn't suit me (having said that poker was never mentioned!).

*If I was long term unemployed and needed cash then I'd of course lie my ass off and "sell" myself to the interviewer but otherwise I don't think I'd bother. If I'm not going to make a decent input and fit in then the stress of pretending to be something I'm not and playing political games for bonuses/promotions etc would make life long run unbearable.
                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

make something plausible up instead IMO

'I was travelling'

'I was working in the local community'

'I was abducted by aliens'
                                                                                They're just gonna take that as meaning you were unemployed imo. Anyway, being a professional poker player is far more respectable than saying you worked with poor people.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                  Lads - a bunch of posters from here going onto PI to rip the piss is neither big nor clever. LOL at the silly posters all you want, but please lets not be annoying them on their forum
                                                                                  A quick word on this as it has bothered me greatly since last night. Got a bit carried away and went a bit too far and, to be honest, am a bit embarrassed about it. Not my ususal form (for whatever that's worth) and it'll not be happening again. Have removed the post as of this morning but won't be denying my part in it. Apologies to those who had to intervene, will think through any posts in future before putting finger to key.
                                                                                  'Nuff said?

Comment

They're just gonna take that as meaning you were unemployed imo. Anyway, being a professional poker player is far more respectable than saying you worked with poor people.
                                                                                    No it's not, the only place it would work would be in Paddy Power or Pocket Kings etc.

Poker playeres are viewed as bums in this country. I'm not sure why people are finding it hard to understand, It's the same as saying you're a professional gambler

Comment

I am saying that if you were silly enough to tell me at interview that you were a poker player, I'd immediately remove you from consideration for the job.
                                                                                      I think this is completely reasonable. In fact I have a similar policy regarding Man City fans.
                                                                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

The food in Dundrum on Wednesdays is nice.

The biggest Interview lie I ever told was that I was running my Aunity's hotel in the UK. (I'd been chilling for a few months feck all worth mentioning) The Interviewer told me , hey I lived over there (In Mottm) whereabouts was it?. Of course I could tell he was bluffing from the many tells , I went with my read and told him it was near Basinstoke cross about 1 mile from the county ground. He smiled, ah yes. Poker can help you in an Interview but you have to know how to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
                                                                                          Can someone explain to me how the America's Cup works? The last competition went on for months with 12 teams competing and a best of 9 final.
                                                                                          This time round, just 2 teams in a best off 3 which seems the equivalent of deciding the world series by a turbo SnG. Yet 100's of millions has been spent on constructing the boats.
                                                                                          Surely, there should be a longer competition for it?
                                                                                          Some legal saga that dragged on for nigh on 2.5 yrs apparently.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post

I have never encountered an academic before who had a boob job, its just not within the lexicon of discussion when it comes to academics!
                                                                                          Neither had I - until a drinking session just before Christmas when I was told that a certain person had them done, so of course I had to find out for sure......

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                                          Why stop here though, why not have the top four play off for the league title? Bottom nine play off to see which three teams go down? Think of how many awesome and tense play off finals we could create...
                                                                                          Not wading into the whole debate (my first reaction when I heard of it earlier was sheer amazement) but is it in any way comparable to the rugby in England where there is a play-off to determine the winner. Must admit, I havent been a fan of that system, but it must have its attractions.

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                                                                          Say you have a thesis, and its really good, and may be published. It goes through a process where you go up in front of committees and you debate with them about it. There is a certain word used for that that I can't think of and its wrecking my head! Its not 'proving' but something similar.
                                                                                          What Hitchhiker said vvvvvv:

I have mine coming up in April. Looking forward to getting it out of the way, but dreading it at the same time!

Just in case - the name of the event is definitely a viva or more fully viva voce, and you defend your thesis at the viva. Thesis translates from the latin as 'argument', which is why you have to defend it.

Comment

Some Poker is expected/encouraged by Trading firms.

SIG, a proprietary trading frim in the IFSC has a poker tournament every year (10k freeroll) as a way of attracting new talent into the company.

However, they are definitely in the minority that realise that the analytical part of your poker game, can translate very effectively into Trading skills.

FWIW, I went for an interview with a Big 4 Accounting firm, and they asked me past times, and I said I played poker occasionally, but never for much money, more for the craic and to unwind. The interviewer asked a few more questions, and I could see that he wasn't too into it. I backtracked slightly and said that my relationship with poker is like my Granny's relationship with bingo.

I got the job (unfortunately)

Comment

i have my driving test next week but my car is is fooked, if i was to get a few lessons off a driving instructor would they then allow me to do the test in their car?

Comment

Originally posted by redzerdrog View Post
                                                                                                i have my driving test next week but my car is is fooked, if i was to get a few lessons off a driving instructor would they then allow me to do the test in their car?
                                                                                                yeah, a lot of places do this.

A lot of places wouldn't necessarily need you to take lessons off them either.

Good luck!

Comment

I still can't figure out his call. I was thankful though.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.1 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB (t1385)
                                                                                                  UTG (t3885)
                                                                                                  UTG+1 (t935)
                                                                                                  MP1 (t3115)
                                                                                                  MP2 (t1395)
                                                                                                  CO (t2300)
                                                                                                  Button (t5495)
                                                                                                  Hero (SB) (t1170)

Hero's M: 15.60

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, A
                                                                                                  UTG calls t50, 3 folds, CO calls t50, 1 fold, Hero bets t200, 1 fold, UTG calls t150, CO calls t150

Flop: (t650) 3, 2, 6 (3 players)
                                                                                                  Hero bets t970 (All-In), 1 fold, CO calls t970

Turn: (t2590) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t2590) A (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t2590

Results:
                                                                                                  Hero had K, A (one pair, Aces).
                                                                                                  CO had 5, K (high card, Ace).
                                                                                                  Outcome: Hero won t2590

Comment

Originally posted by Bless You View Post
                                                                                                    A quick word on this as it has bothered me greatly since last night. Got a bit carried away and went a bit too far and, to be honest, am a bit embarrassed about it. Not my ususal form (for whatever that's worth) and it'll not be happening again. Have removed the post as of this morning but won't be denying my part in it. Apologies to those who had to intervene, will think through any posts in future before putting finger to key.
                                                                                                    'Nuff said?
                                                                                                    Its no biggie, I really wanted to just nip it in the bud before some of the more 'excitable' people on here decided to get involved.

Comment

PS, I'm so not ghey.
                                                                                                      I would never mention poker is an interview, don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware of how it'll be viewed. I just think anyone who played poker full time, successfully, for an extended period would actually show alot of qualities that would be hugely desirable for any employer, just they wouldn't see it that way. I'm surprised that people involved in poker though would also think someone who played full time to be not worth employing, though.

Personally as an interviewer I'd consider it a huge plus because I know what's involved in actually doing it, that is if the person was actually making X a year from poker and not just some bum who played the odd tournament while claiming the dole, but it's not something that I'd expect a potential employer to understand at all, they'll mostly just view you as a degen.
                                                                                                      "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

...
                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

interesting argument about the merits of poker playing and how it would stand you in the real world in an interview. I understand the concept of the normal person just categorizing poker players as down and out gamblers (like saying i go to boyles everyday as a living, and eat their biscuits) but im surprised to see El S immediately disregard poker professionals for any set interview.

Someone who has been successfully winning at poker, would show alot of the skills and levels of adaptability that should be wanted in a working environment. I could expand on what im trying to say here, but hopefully someone with more time, and perhaps more articulate will do it for me. (dashing out).

cliffs - the skills to actually be a winning long term poker player would show levels or organisation/adaptability/dedication/ability to remain calm in situations/proper grasp of money management/ability to make clear conscise decisions under pressure due to given information and in a short period of time.

These are just a few things i can think of that if i were an interviewer, i would view as valuable and NOT a reason to immediately disregard someone.
                                                                                                          GAA News Website

Comment

...
                                                                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmjf4hLxkso[/ame]

This is still freaky as hell. I genuinely think the only explanation is that Ivey eventually gets so rich from poker that he buys a time machine and using it to go see a Bob Marley gig kinda makes perfect sense...
                                                                                                              "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                                                Hey DrJFF, saw on stars you are going to LAPT Punta del Este. I'll be there too, probably the only two irish guys I'm assuming.

Also Eddie Durkin's helper needs to take his computer away from him.
                                                                                                                yeah i'd say we probably are, we shud defo meet up for a beer or something over there

i do plan to the win the tournament tho
                                                                                                                http://drjff.blogspot.com/

Comment

On the whole interview thing; never underestimate the benefits of appearing bright and keen yet servile. Servility is highly prized amongst a large proportion of employers.

Poker playing suggests an element of independence that wouldn't be prized in most workplaces outside of trading rooms.
                                                                                                                  I love the instructions I got from my boss regarding the interview process for tech jobs:
                                                                                                                  "Even Personal hygiene isn't a problem if they can do the job well"
                                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                                                                                                                    I still can't figure out his call. I was thankful though.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.1 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB (t1385)
                                                                                                                    UTG (t3885)
                                                                                                                    UTG+1 (t935)
                                                                                                                    MP1 (t3115)
                                                                                                                    MP2 (t1395)
                                                                                                                    CO (t2300)
                                                                                                                    Button (t5495)
                                                                                                                    Hero (SB) (t1170)

Hero's M: 15.60

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, A
                                                                                                                    UTG calls t50, 3 folds, CO calls t50, 1 fold, Hero bets t200, 1 fold, UTG calls t150, CO calls t150

Flop: (t650) 3, 2, 6 (3 players)
                                                                                                                    Hero bets t970 (All-In), 1 fold, CO calls t970

Turn: (t2590) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t2590) A (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t2590

Results:
                                                                                                                    Hero had K, A (one pair, Aces).
                                                                                                                    CO had 5, K (high card, Ace).
                                                                                                                    Outcome: Hero won t2590
                                                                                                                    standard with teh gutshot and the backdoor flush draw

Comment

Poker playing suggests an element of independence that wouldn't be prized in most workplaces outside of trading rooms.
                                                                                                                      I remember towards the end of my time in Intel when it was becoming evident to the Borg that I was not being assimilated they sat me down and explained to me that because I had a PhD I was hired on a higher grade than other engineers and they expected better performance and particularly better team work. I said to the guy 'so let me get this straight, you expect the guy who's sat in a lab on his own for the last 3 years to be a more accomplished team worker than your average Joe?....GL with that'...'em well, yes, I guess that is something we need to address in the grading system'.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                        TBH, i usually enjoy reading the BBV, usually...its one thing giving everyone a voice, lets call it a demoracy, but it is another letting some idiot have control over it, be it by their posts or there respective replies.

I hate to compare to the old place but, are you serious ?, 6 pages of shite would not have gone on, "The Hills" FFS. You would have been banned as a troll.

Eddie, the posters here give you some benefit of the doubt, maybe thinking you are a piss take, i really dont think so. You should knock off for a few hours and have a think, do you want to be someone that creates hassle or someone that asks a question in here and gets a rapid response, be part of the community ? Its one thing having an openion, and the Portsmouth debacle showed you will listen to the other side, weigh up both arguments and , in that instance, came away with the realisation you were wrong, when you were showed another side.

Differing openions are what makes this BBV interssting, I learn new stuff everyday i read this, i am exposed to ideas and openions that make me think about the real life, away from the mainstay media, the people on the ground as you will. But talking crap for the sake of talking crap just wont do it for me, dont know about the other people here, i would hate to have to just see your name and instintivly skip over your post, its not fair on you or me.

Take a break, ask yourself why you are posting here and come back a better contributer, just my openion, im allowed one...

Anyone comments on my spelling or grammar, im reporting you !!
                                                                                                                        I have a feeling this will fall on deaf ears

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                        Less hippie English teachers talking crap about Shakespeare and more teaching you to put the letter h in your spelling of "what" is what you needed.

Also Eddie Durkin should be made reveal his boards nick on pain of perma banning (this is not a joke), and then when he does he should be banned for lying unless he says Tight Ted.
                                                                                                                        I was thinking he has the same style as Tight Ted alright

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                        Just on my way to bed 12 mins ago, get a cold drink from the fridge, see a pizza that is going out of date today, make a decision that there is enough food wasted in the western world and decided for once i would make a difference !

Just opened another bottle of red to go with my pizza, your welcome third world !
                                                                                                                        Full of win any excuse to open another bottle

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                                        Reminds me of the butcher shop in Tralee. Small one with just the owner behind the counter. He had a pigs head in the window and this yank was outside taking pictures and she then came in and asked "is that a real pigs head". "No thats a mirror" says the slightly hungover butcher. At this stage she gets very annoyed and asks to speak to the manager !!! Owner/Manager/Only employee says "hang on a sec, I'll get him for you". He goes into the storage area, takes off his white coat/apron, puts on a blazer and comes back out. "was someone looking for the manager ?".

Well I lol'ed anyway.
                                                                                                                        This is also full of win

i think i remember people talking about bonsai trees in this thread or maybe the old one. anyone know if i have much of a chance of saving this one? i've watered it a decent amount but the leaves just stayed wilted and are all dead now. should i just trim everything back and hope those are new shoots coming out the top?
                                                                                                                        Yes do exactly the same as the Government are doing, you will see nice new green shoots flourish shortly!!

This place has been busy the last 24 hours what with the nonsense being spouted by a certain poster.

On the employment/poker argument i would have no hesitation hiring someone if they are capable enough to do the job however some restrictions such as internet access on their pcs would be put in place for obvious reasons.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Jackyback; 16-02-10, 16:15.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJFF View Post
                                                                                                                          yeah i'd say we probably are, we shud defo meet up for a beer or something over there

i do plan to the win the tournament tho
                                                                                                                          I've already made plans for my victory party. You're welcome to join though. Then we'll have time for a beer or two.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X