X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
      Don't see how, even including NAMA, national debt could go over 150% of GDP based on those figures and adding a few billion extra in. Remember that GDP will be rising from next year. Although let's be clear on this, we are debating over whether the patient will die or merely have all their limbs amputated!
      arrrrgghhhhh, don't use GDP - you of all people should know how distorted our GDP numbers are

use GNP!
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I thought a group service charge to replace tip was standard in most restaurants? Surprised to hear FXBs behaving like that. I'm a 'regular' there and have only ever found them to be nice and steaks to be awesome-o.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          this Willie O'Dea thing is fantastic entertainment

cliff notes:

Minister says rival Limerick politico is a brothel-keeper (on the record, into a tape recorder )

Then denies he said it in Court = perjury imo

Journo releases tape, O'Dea does swift back-flip, apologises and pays all costs + undisclosed damages

Opposition go nuts. Greens forced into defending O'Dea. Ryan publically humiliated in the Dail yesterday. Lunatic Gogarty makes about as much sense as Eddie Durkin on Newstalk this morning.

Eagerly awaiting the next chapter. We may have to replace LOL Cork people with LOL Limerick people.
          You forgot Dan Boyle (Green President) supporting O'Dea in the Dail, then going on Twitter to say he didn't have confidence in him. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            Anyone want to try to explain or defend this nonsense where restaurants charge 12.5% extra for groups of 5 or more ?

Last night 6 of went into FXB's and were seated together when we noticed this bollix We were 50 50 on whether to get up tell them to shove it and go to Tante Zoes next door - we have done that before in another place with that moronic fee - But when the Waitress came around I said that we are two tables a 2 and a 4. So she makes some smart remark that I didn't catch, pulls the tables apart takes an order from the 2 and announces that she'll get back to the rest of us when she can. There was absolutely no doubt in my mind that we were being punished here. Nothing much else happening in the restaurant more than 5 minutes then I grab the manager as he's going by and have to ask him to take the rest of the order.
            Food came with growing gaps between the tables which was was not really a problem for us and well worth the €25 saving on a €200 bill.
            The food was OK, nothing special and despite us being punished the service was in all other respects quite good.
            I am certain that by breaking it into two orders and not paying the 12.5% we were making far more work and hassle for the staff.
            I was always under the impression that it was voluntary?

therefore you get some sneaky text like "an optional service charge of 12.5% will be added to your bill"

we're going to L'Ecrivain tomorrow night and I see they word it like this:

"Please note an optional gratuity of 12.5% will be added to your bill"

Comment

God I love Ryanair, €29 for flying into Birmingham and out of Liverpool the next morning for the United v AC match on the 10th of March.
              Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                You forgot Dan Boyle (Green President) supporting O'Dea in the Dail, then going on Twitter to say he didn't have confidence in him. LOL.
                Dan Boyle is a senator, not a TD

Comment

Anyone want to try to explain or defend this nonsense where restaurants charge 12.5% extra for groups of 5 or more ?

Last night 6 of went into FXB's and were seated together when we noticed this bollix We were 50 50 on whether to get up tell them to shove it and go to Tante Zoes next door - we have done that before in another place with that moronic fee - But when the Waitress came around I said that we are two tables a 2 and a 4. So she makes some smart remark that I didn't catch, pulls the tables apart takes an order from the 2 and announces that she'll get back to the rest of us when she can. There was absolutely no doubt in my mind that we were being punished here. Nothing much else happening in the restaurant more than 5 minutes then I grab the manager as he's going by and have to ask him to take the rest of the order.
                  Food came with growing gaps between the tables which was was not really a problem for us and well worth the €25 saving on a €200 bill.
                  The food was OK, nothing special and despite us being punished the service was in all other respects quite good.
                  I am certain that by breaking it into two orders and not paying the 12.5% we were making far more work and hassle for the staff.
                  WP.

Not enough of us (Irish) willing to take stands like this. Many times I have had shite food only to say it was fine when asked by the waiter. Times are changing though (might be old age) !!

Comment

Dan Boyle is a senator, not a TD
                    Sorry, spot on. Picked it up wrong this morning. His party backed O'Dea (obv) in the Dail, not him personally.

Comment

Comment

Just thinking about it, if you try and fake a pschometric test, then that surely requires knowing what would be the correct thing to do in the situations that the firm are most interested in, and if you do know that then surely thats half the battle?

I'd be a very honest person in general, and almost every answer I'd give to a pschometric test would be my honest opinion, but in almost every case you can look at the question and see which answers you clearly can't pick even if for some reason that was your opinion. From talking to other people, anyone with a modicum of intelligence will be able to put forward an honest, fair, scrupulous, driven etc etc face in a pschometric evaluation. I'm not saying that I've answered questions dishonestly, as I think I'm a pretty honest and fair person, but I know that if I was somehow a lying, lazy, cheating scumbag I would be pretty confident that I could do well in a psychometric test nonetheless.

This is another reason why it is important to have a trained professional administer the test, so that questions can be used to probe the respondent's reactions and the consistency of answers can be examined. For example many tests guard against candidate manipulation by posing the same question more than once but wording it differently and/or using ‘lie scales’ that are designed to detect social desirability (the desire to present oneself in a positive light).

These scales will alert the test interpreter to the fact that the test may not be measuring what it was designed to measure. Tests normally consist of approximately 200 questions, with numerous questions designed to measure a single concept. So trying to manipulate the test by faking consistency between these questions would be a very time consuming task requiring a lot of concentration and a very good memory. Moreover, the reason why numerous questions are used to measure single concepts is because single questions are not typically a good basis on which to make assumptions.

This is all I found that was relevant from a very brief google of the topic. I might have a look at UCD's database later if I'm not busy.
                        Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

I would say the assumptions made to arrive at that alarmist graph are hilariously bad and make some of the ones from the climate-debate look tame. The thing about the climate-debate and no doubt the economics one is that its extremely easy to plot a graph on a timescale with a very particular variable to suit your agenda that makes it look like the sky is falling or vice versa. Its very easy for the human mind to digest a graph with a massive kink and go, 'oh noes, we have to do something' without examining what makes up the graph in more detail.

Comment

Comment

I was always under the impression that it was voluntary?

therefore you get some sneaky text like "an optional service charge of 12.5% will be added to your bill"

we're going to L'Ecrivain tomorrow night and I see they word it like this:

"Please note an optional gratuity of 12.5% will be added to your bill"
                              No FXB's have this cleverly hidden in plainsight in the middle of the menu so that you will not notice it until you are sitting and scrutinising the menu "A service charge of 12.5% will be applied to parties of 5 or more people"

I've seen it in a few places and walked out of restaurants over it before.
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Here is the personality test my employer uses,they make you watch this clip from Big Man On Campus.

If you laugh you don't get an interview.Simple,but actually quite effective.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVIChNo84gQ[/ame]
                                Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Jeez Isildur1 is just so sick, down 900k in the last 24 hours.:eek

I couldn't handle those swings, I'd crack up!

'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Icarus, what's he saying?

Comment

No FXB's have this cleverly hidden in plainsight in the middle of the menu so that you will not notice it until you are sitting and scrutinising the menu "A service charge of 12.5% will be applied to parties of 5 or more people"

I've seen it in a few places and walked out of restaurants over it before.
                                      It must be the only industry that charges extra for larger parties. Most industries give you discounts as you increase the volume of business.

The theory (I think) is that you are paying extra for the difficult faced by the kitchen staff in getting your hugely different meal selections to the table simultaneously, such that your large party can all eat a perfectly cooked meal at the same time.

So when you split your group in a 4 and a 2 you no longer have that entitlement because you are no longer paying that extra vig. So your rare steak may arrive before the B table have finished their starter.

Comment

Wolves get slapped with a 25k 'suspended' fine for fielding an understrength side at Old Trafford.

Harsh?
                                        Last edited by dannydiamond; 18-02-10, 11:57.
                                        We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by thedini View Post
                                          Icarus, what's he saying?
                                          Two faces.
                                          Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
                                            Wolves get slapped with a 25k fine for fielding an understrength side at Old Trafford.

Harsh?
                                            As long as they treat the Champion's league sides the same I don't mind it. I think McCarthy deserves a lot of credit for having the balls to do that though.
                                            'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Yeah, i was reading that chart wrong - thought it was percentages of GDP rather than actual money. You should be very scared that people like me will eventually be teaching your kids!
                                              those who do, do, those who can't....

etc.

Comment

Wolves get slapped with a 25k 'suspended' fine for fielding an understrength side at Old Trafford.

Harsh?
                                                if they stay up, then it's good business imo

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                  are people ok with their wives, girlfriends, daughters working in bars in the knowledge that pervs will be learing all over them?

Im going to a gig in Crawdaddy next week myself actually.
                                                  Not if Tony sees you first you aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                                    He sounds like a right cnut.

Does he post on here? I've been wondering if he is.
                                                    not on here yet apparently, he was heavily featured in the other place though.

I'm certain you know him, and well too...

Comment

Harsh?
                                                      Yep but they will be more than happy I think. If I remember right this worked for him and they got point/points the following week. Worth 25K if they had to pay.

Comment

Exam results out there.

Scraped one subject by the skin of my ballsack. 50% pass, I got 51%.

Other, 35%.

Bleh, Its so hard to motivate yourself to learn something you have no interest in.

Comment

Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt gig in the Olympia last night was pure class

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvDPezXTzlI&feature=related[/ame]
                                                          [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNmnzwGT4Ic&feature=related[/ame]
                                                          [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-_W18CWypE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UkKTlzyLhQ[/ame]
                                                          [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvXhPKRyr7c&feature=related[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                                                            not on here yet apparently, he was heavily featured in the other place though.

I'm certain you know him, and well too...
                                                            Ha I do know him, I knew ye were going last night and would have dropped in but was too busy.
                                                            Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Found out what the story was with that shooting the other night, was just around the corner from me, they actually targeted the wrong house that person had no involvement with anything bad and had just recently moved into the house, unlucky fcuker.
                                                              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                                                    Ha I do know him, I knew ye were going last night and would have dropped in but was too busy.
                                                                    would've been some trek for 5 hands...

Comment

I am definitely going to give this a lot of thought in my four months in Prague over the summer
                                                                      czechmate, you win

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4cRw6TIIg&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Comment

Eastenders - Who killed Archie?

Any insiders here. Sean Slater a certainty, 6/4 buying money?
                                                                          Always a fun market when a few dozen people have already decided the result (a bit like the bumper at Kilbeggan I suppose).

Comment

So what do you think....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055831938

I cant give him any advice cause I'm the bad player calling with muck and out flopping him

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                              Always a fun market when a few dozen people have already decided the result (a bit like the bumper at Kilbeggan I suppose).

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/...chie-mitchell-
                                                                              kind of annoying that it has essentially leaked the story. Still looking forward to the live episode tho.

Comment

A tip should be optional - why do waiting staff expect it for often times doing the basic minimum. excellent service should be rewarded but bog standard service of your table doesnt necessarily deserve 12.5%
                                                                                Mr. Pink itt.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tNun95UvXI[/ame]

Comment

You should be more worried if you actually found accounting interesting imo. It's a good means to an end, but no way to go through life.
                                                                                    *sigh*

Comment

Tracey the barmaid been backed into one of the favs from 100/1

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran_Corbett View Post
                                                                                        http://www.rte.ie/arts/2010/0218/eastenders.html

Tracey the barmaid been backed into one of the favs from 100/1
                                                                                        That story smells of bookmaker inspired bullshit, trying to start a story on one of the outsiders to mop up a few small bets on a no-hoper.

Honestly, as an insider, does that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                          Found out what the story was with that shooting the other night, was just around the corner from me, they actually targeted the wrong house that person had no involvement with anything bad and had just recently moved into the house, unlucky fcuker.

what shooting was this? friend was the luas coming home fromtown on tues night. saw some young fella on the ground blood pouring from his head, approx 40 gaurds areound him, sqauds flying up and down. this was near the black horse pub i think. she was listening for some news on radio but dont think she got any. just wondering if this be in around the same incident?
                                                                                          http://www.sitnpoker.com/?amigosid=18

Comment

That story smells of bookmaker inspired bullshit, trying to start a story on one of the outsiders to mop up a few small bets on a no-hoper.

Honestly, as an insider, does that happen?
                                                                                            I know little or nothing about the betting side of the business. There is big money in novelty markets so it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest.

The guys that bet on novelty markets are fish and would very likely be convinced that this is a good bet.

I stuck €50 on it

Comment

Oddee goes for the top 15 Recession Grafitti today.

Some excellent pieces

Comment

Am in London for work and having nothing planned between the time of finishing work (around 7pm) and meeting my friend tomorrow (around 5pm) - recommendations for things to do? Poker? Museums? Etc... I've been to most of the museums but might hit the Imperial War Musuem again, only there once years ago. Staying in Southwark tonight and South Kensington for rest of the weekend. Muchos gracias!

Comment

Just had lunch with a mate I used to work with who mostly just plays online these days instead of a 9-5, and we got chatting about rush poker a bit. Is there any reason why this isn't available for tournaments yet? Would it work as well for tournaments? I know the concept might be a little iffy when there are less runners, but I couldn't think of a reason why it wouldn't work overall.

For disclosure purposes I have never played rush poker, so if this does exist, excuse my ignorance.

Comment

...

Comment

...
                                                                                                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 18-02-10, 14:47.

Comment

...

Comment

He wasn't in the Sq at the time though, and his only real motive would be that archie raped his sister - but i don't think it was him, after all if bookies did have inside knowledge why would they mark him up as 6/4?

more than likely wasn't peggy - cause she's going in the summer.
                                                                                                          don't know why tracey would be backed in from 200/1 - can't see her havin a motive at all unless i missed something.

meh will be good to see the outcome though.

Comment

Eastenders talk? Ah now lads.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                              ah its betting Eastenders talk tho tbf. Fair game imo

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                Am in London for work and having nothing planned between the time of finishing work (around 7pm) and meeting my friend tomorrow (around 5pm) - recommendations for things to do? Poker? Museums? Etc... I've been to most of the museums but might hit the Imperial War Musuem again, only there once years ago. Staying in Southwark tonight and South Kensington for rest of the weekend. Muchos gracias!
                                                                                                                If the Montezuma exhibition is still on at the British Museum its a must see IMO

There is a VanGogh exhibition themed around his letters to his brother at the RA. If you ended up with a copy of the book of his letters it would be a good days work.

The Vic is yer only man for poker IMO

Comment

Who Killed Archie Mitchell

Stolen from Boards

Archie Mitchell is no more; but who has killed him

The list of suspects include:

Janine: Humiliated by her older lover on Christmas day; has she killed him in revenge to gain control of the Vic for herself

Ronnie: Responsible for Danielles death and the death of her unbon child has Ronnie flipped and killed her father.

Peggy: Archie has taken control of her beloved Queen Vic; would the self confessed real end style non cuddly old woman kill the man she obviously still loves deep down in revenge for months of humiliation

Phil: He didnt kill Archie when he had the chance; has Peggys latest tirade upon his latest return to the bottle prompted him to finally do what he should have done months ago

Bradley: Found out that Archie raped his lovely Stacey; as Bradley killed Archie.

Sam: After finding out what Archie has one to her family has Samantha killed Archie to gain repect bck from Peggy and Phil.

Roxy: Has Archies treatment of Ronnie and Peggy prompted Roxiy to murder her father?

Billy: Has Billy killed Archie nto finally prove that he's a real Mitchell.

Jack: Jack loves Ronnie; has he killed Archie for her?

Grant: Peggy has been over and back to Portugal recently so Grant would have heard all of Archies evil doings. Has he returned.

Ian: Archie claimed to have footage of Ian with Janine; has Ian killed to save his marriage.

Pat: Pat has never liked Archie. Did she abandon her trip to New Zealand to revenge Peggy.

Stacey: Confessed to Bradley that Archie is the father of her baby; has she killed him.

Ryan: He has never liked Archie and Janine together; did his discovery of Janine outside the Jackson home prompt him to kill Archie

Tracy: Has always been loyal to Peggy and Co. did she return early from her fishing trip and finish Archie off.

Lucas: Why not; he's killing everyone else.

Comment

Just had lunch with a mate I used to work with who mostly just plays online these days instead of a 9-5, and we got chatting about rush poker a bit. Is there any reason why this isn't available for tournaments yet? Would it work as well for tournaments? I know the concept might be a little iffy when there are less runners, but I couldn't think of a reason why it wouldn't work overall.

For disclosure purposes I have never played rush poker, so if this does exist, excuse my ignorance.
                                                                                                                    Wat?

Comment

Eastenders >>>>>>>> X-factor

Comment

Wat?
                                                                                                                        As far as I know Rush poker is only available in cash game format. I was wondering are there any reasons why it wouldn't be used for tournaments. Not that complex a question I would have thought?

Comment

what type of tea do people drink?

Lyons
                                                                                                                          Barrys
                                                                                                                          Other (please specify)
                                                                                                                          Drank the flavoured tea a few times, strawberry seems to be the nicest. Keep meaning to buy some for the house. Nice taste and very refreshing.

Earl Grey is the name of the brand i think.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X