Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So did BennyHiFi and Lazare hook up last night in the end?

Comment

I just picked that article almost at random, the case was made by conservatives on both sides of the Atlantic. The point being that learning the lessons of history is a nice talking point, but in actuality it just means people cherry-picking whatever historical event suits their current agenda.

Interestingly the US helped both sides in the Iran Iraq war, helping to drag out the conflict for longer, and they helped Iraq with full knowledge they were using chemical weapons. https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/26...e-gassed-iran/.

Later in the war the US ended up supplying arms to Iran https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E...3Contra_affair

With actions like this its not hard to understand why there is so much anti-American sentiment in the region. The Iranian general assassinated by the US fought in this war and was left with an abiding hatred of the US.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
        So did BennyHiFi and Lazare hook up last night in the end?
        lol, we had a love in alright ​​​​​​

Available until 9.30pm tonight Tony.

Given your love of the theatre hotspur I reckon you'd really like it too.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Zuut, heard your bro on the radio talking about his podcast.

Sounds like it's going to be really good.

Is he worried about Covid at all? Does seem risky.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              Did you tune in Solks, or SP?

Right up both of yizzer streets
              Didn't tune in. Watched a few vids . Nice . The suicide song is a bit heavy though . The vid was hard hitting

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Didn't tune in. Watched a few vids . Nice . The suicide song is a bit heavy though . The vid was hard hitting
                It is. You should watch a live performance of it.

Think the video won awards.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                    I just picked that article almost at random, the case was made by conservatives on both sides of the Atlantic. The point being that learning the lessons of history is a nice talking point, but in actuality it just means people cherry-picking whatever historical event suits their current agenda.
                    It's more than a talking point.

The entire EU is born of a fierce determination never to repeat previous mistakes.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      A staffed Sheridan Cheese concession in the local Dunnes. That's hardly common is it? The whole thing felt a bit more like a fancy boutique food store than a ... Dunnes.

Bought loads of pies. France just doesn't do pies. It's a fundamental failing of the nation alongside their lack of understanding that bacon should be part of any breakfast arrangement.
                      Au contraire Monsieur!

have you not fully explored the wonders of dining en croute?

Comment

Comment

I wonder if that's popular as never saw it in five years. Maybe I just gave the honour of my custom to lower quality places.
                          Sacre bleu! Et autres cliches!!

pate-en-croute-terrine-4-640.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

It's more than a talking point.

The entire EU is born of a fierce determination never to repeat previous mistakes.
                            It's a bit more complicated than that. The world changed after the two world wars, Europe had a common enemy and the horrors of modern/nuclear war meant the era of almost constant warfare had to end, whether or not the EU came into existence. Also there was economic reasons to align. None of those things work as well as a talking point though.

Comment

A staffed Sheridan Cheese concession in the local Dunnes. That's hardly common is it? The whole thing felt a bit more like a fancy boutique food store than a ... Dunnes.
                              Dunnes done changed alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Dunnes done changed alright.
                                It's a strange setup. In my local Dunnes (Blanch) some aisles are set up like Fortnum & Masons or Harrods Food Hall and priced accordingly, whilst most of the store is the traditional pile-it-high, sell-it-cheap Dunnes operation. Perhaps they've stumbled upon a successful model.

Comment

Speaking of supermarkets, what's the IPB consensus on face mask compliance?

Just went into the local Supervalu and would estimate 25% of customers were maskless. Plus a staff member stacking shelves.

Surely shops (especially big ones) should have someone at the door enforcing the regs. I asked the checkout girl and she said it's much worse at night time.
                                  Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 16-08-20, 14:43.

Comment

Europe had a common enemy
                                    Only if you think 'Europe' ends at the Elbe.

Comment

Sacre bleu! Et autres cliches!!

pate-en-croute-terrine-4-640.jpg
                                      I'm guessing that tastes good, but good jesus it looks awful.

Comment

Just went into the local Supervalu and would estimate 25% of customers were maskless. Plus a staff member stacking shelves.

Surely shops (especially big ones) should have someone at the door enforcing the regs. I asked the checkout girl and she said it's much worse at night time.
                                        Looks like 100% compliance among customers in any of the shops I've been in. Most of the checkout staff in Aldi seem to have given up on them though, I guess it is a hassle to wear them for prolonged periods.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

It's a strange setup. In my local Dunnes (Blanch) some aisles are set up like Fortnum & Masons or Harrods Food Hall and priced accordingly, whilst most of the store is the traditional pile-it-high, sell-it-cheap Dunnes operation. Perhaps they've stumbled upon a successful model.

New shop going in behind me here and rumours of a Dunnes version of Tesco Express, is that a thing?

Id have expected a Spar/Centra type job.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

New shop going in behind me here and rumours of a Dunnes version of Tesco Express, is that a thing?

There's a mini Dunnes in Sagart.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

No, only because I was out last night, how long is the stream available for?
                                              Tickets on sale until 6.30pm.

Comment

I don't think they have a separate name for it like Tesco Express or Tesco Metro.
                                                But Dunnes do have some stores like that, something like the one in Georges Street maybe - it's much more geared towards the '8 convenience items on the way to/from work' market than their usual 'weekly shop' store.

Comment

Bit of a wild crash at the motogp

Comment

95% in Glenageary Aldi

I've gotten a few buses recently, and I have seen only one adult without a mask. A former punter from the Fitz! I was glad to be wearing a mask so I could avoid them.

Comment

95% in Glenageary Aldi

I've gotten a few buses recently, and I have seen only one adult without a mask. A former punter from the Fitz! I was glad to be wearing a mask so I could avoid them.
                                                      Got a bus into and back from town on Wednesday. On journey in, full bus and 100% masks. Bus back only two out of the seven were wearing one. Two had them hanging around their neck, presumably to gain admittance on the bus in the first place, but others got on without even the appearance of one.

Comment

Lazare, Strewel & benny - you guys will enjoy this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8hnp9M4JCo

Comment

Lazare, Strewel & benny - you guys will enjoy this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8hnp9M4JCo
                                                          Brilliant, ty. That third track was a banger.

Comment

A beautiful sight
                                                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                            This gallery has 1 photos.
                                                            Last edited by SatNav; 16-08-20, 19:05.
                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                              Bit of a wild crash at the motogp

Rossi was fairly shook in the paddock after.
                                                              Huge one in moto2 earlier too.
                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Been enjoying Jim Sullivan's lovely UFO album muchly lately.

This is a particular highlight:

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                  Been enjoying Jim Sullivan's lovely UFO album muchly lately.

This is a particular highlight:
                                                                  Was reading he disappeared out of nowhere . nice Bill Withers type of voice. Johnny is a cool track.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/14/a...-sullivan.html

Comment

Dunnes €10 vouchers for every €50 spent is a sweet offer when you have the likes of a the expensive cheese and butchers in store to soak up the bonus.
                                                                    Since they opened in town I'm getting good at gamifying it by adding it up as I go along trying to get it to add up to the right amount without any unnecessary purchases.

BTW Raoul I figured out that the goats cheese I was really keen on that you gave me at Christmas was Ryefield five mile town
                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

retro week , saw this recently. 56 years ago

She's up there with the Chuck Berrys and yet never heard of her until recently. Wonder why ?

Comment

How is the dry aging coming along zuut ?
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                          retro week , saw this recently. 56 years ago

She's up there with the Chuck Berrys and yet never heard of her until recently. Wonder why ?
                                                                          Amazing.
                                                                          ​​​​​​
                                                                          Definitely saw that before, racking my brain trying to figure out where, on here maybe.

Electric

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                            I'm first!

Comment

Am trying to get back into playing music, switched on this guy's video as a bit of an inspiration and a tutorial to follow and I'm just amazed at how well he plays.

Sí Beag sí Mór

Comment

We've had the longest sustained period of peace in Europe ever. We might have learned a few things eventually.
                                                                                If we're talking about the full extent of Europe, and not just the EU states or a Europe that ends at the Elbe - then has bee been any sustained peace?

Various post war uprisings and revolutions. The Troubles. Yugoslavia. Chechnya. Dagestan (the Caucasus generally). Chechnya again.

I'm surprised Comrade Hitchhiker didn't claim you were pushing anti-eastern European agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                  I was actually thinking about steak a la Zuut last night.
                                                                                  Was tempted to pull the trigger on those bags online, but decided I'd wait for the review first. Dug up his post to see how long it needs. 1 week left it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

If we're talking about the full extent of Europe, and not just the EU states or a Europe that ends at the Elbe - then has bee been any sustained peace?

Various post war uprisings and revolutions. The Troubles. Yugoslavia. Chechnya. Dagestan (the Caucasus generally). Chechnya again.

I'm surprised Comrade Hitchhiker didn't claim you were pushing anti-eastern European agenda.
                                                                                    Local skirmishes in the main.
                                                                                    In totality, a fraction of deaths, damage and suffering of WW2.

The two Chechen wars and Yugoslavia's disintegration were the big two. More recently of course, Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

And of course, if you look inside the EU, nothing.

Comment

...

Comment

That's why WWII was so influential in changing mindsets compared to WWI, because it happened in rich countries when they saw how much was lost. It wasn't the war that caused the change in mindset, the mindset changed due to wealth creation.​​​​​​
                                                                                        They were the same, rich countries!
                                                                                        To read the above, you would think WW1 and WW2 were fought by an entirely different set of nations.

Belgium, France, UK, Germany, Austro-Hungary etc

If your argument held water (which it doesn't) , WW2 would never have happened as all those same rich countries would have recoiled in horror from going into another war so soon after WW1. IN fact, it was the very wealth of those countries that enabled the full horror of WW2. Wars between poor countries tend to be less destructive simply because they can't afford the most annihilating technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare
                                                                                          Zuut, heard your bro on the radio talking about his podcast.

Sounds like it's going to be really good.

Is he worried about Covid at all? Does seem risky.
                                                                                          Not sure tbh, haven't been talking to him about it, just sent him a message telling him he was mad.

Originally posted by Oleras
                                                                                          I got impatient and called it at 28 days. The steaks were lovely but just starting to get the really beefy dry age taste so I'm leaving my next one in for 6 weeks. It lost about 1/3 of its mass and after pellicle trimming it was probably down to around 55-60% of the original. It means that the price of your steak effectively doubles so it ain't a cheap way to eat. It's great to be able to cut them to whatever thickness you like though. I got a full striploin in my local butchers last week for €110 and I should get 11-12 nice thick steaks out of it when its ready.

IMG_20200808_174740.jpg image_3457.jpg
                                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

I''m off this week zuut. I'll bring the wine.

Comment

...

Comment

Jay Bourke is 'Mortified' by the '20 seconds of madness' behaviour of his staff in Berlin bar when the advertised boozed up brunch hooley he advertised as a boozed up hooley turned into a boozed up hooley.

That would be Jay'neck like a jockeys bollocks' Bourke who was barred from being a company director for trading while insolvent

GTFO

But also LOL at him being the poster boy for why pubs won't open again this year.

Comment

A quick breakfast scan of Twitter and I'm now so much more informed about the new potential vaccine....

Putins daughter just died from it
                                                                                                  It will cotain sterilization elements to wipe out humans
                                                                                                  Bill Gates will have a tracing chip in it to keep an eye on whoever is left after we are all sterilized

Might weed out some of the riff raff tbf

Comment

Jay Bourke is 'Mortified' by the '20 seconds of madness' behaviour of his staff in Berlin bar when the advertised boozed up brunch hooley he advertised as a boozed up hooley turned into a boozed up hooley.

That would be Jay'neck like a jockeys bollocks' Bourke who was barred from being a company director for trading while insolvent

GTFO

But also LOL at him being the poster boy for why pubs won't open again this year.
                                                                                                    Bit mad to claim that when there's a ton of public footage showing otherwise.

Be curious to see the career trajectory of the one who organised it. Is she just really dim, or was she deliberately trying to gain attention.

Comment

Putins daughter just died from it
                                                                                                      According to my Russian friends the daughter involved in the vaccine trial is a senior doctor whose work is in the field and while well known in those circles is not known to trade on being 'Putin's daughter' and is probably genuinely involved in the programme. So its not a John Selwyn Gummer feeding his child a BSE burger moment

I'm also told that like Boris no one really knows how many children Putin has, he is known to have children with his wife and at least one of his girlfriends but just like the free press in England no one seems too interested in actually counting or identifying them

0_PA-1153166.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Bit mad to claim that when there's a ton of public footage showing otherwise.

Be curious to see the career trajectory of the one who organised it. Is she just really dim, or was she deliberately trying to gain attention.
                                                                                                        IMO the advertising and promo of the event looks worse than the footage... 0% chance it wasn't going to be a messy affair and set up to be absolutely taking the piss with the regulations. If the VFI or other players in the pub business gave a fuck about it they would have had a word with them before the event telling them to cop on instead of running to the nearest TV camera post hoc waving 'down with this sort of thing' posters.

Love how all the coverage describes the bould Jay as being 'involved' with the business without mentioning that he's currently banned from being a company director! HE got a full ten minutes of self pitying guff on RTE this morning (poor man had to drive from his holiday home in West Cork) without any mention of it .

Comment

According to my Russian friends the daughter involved in the vaccine trial is a senior doctor whose work is in the field and while well known in those circles is not known to trade on being 'Putin's daughter' and is probably genuinely involved in the programme. So its not a John Selwyn Gummer feeding his child a BSE burger moment
                                                                                                          Putin tends to keep his family very private (probably on account of how they have all suddenly become uncountably rich).

One of hs daughters appeared briefly in the public eye a few years back when she was getting married and the proud pop walked her down the aisle. There was some brief bio in the press along the lines of 'Katarina Puin, 26, is an administrator at Moscow State University. She is worth approximately 1.5 billion dollars.'

Hmm, upon further research, seems like it was a lucrative transaction for the new son-in-law too!

Comment

Home on my own today so have Lankum playing .
                                                                                                            really enjoyable stuff . Kind of what river dance was to Irish dancing these are similar to trad music . (tis how I'd describe them) . Next up for total contrast some TOY DOLLS and their madcap performances . :-) these guys just cheers me up. Wonder where they are these days .

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                              Am trying to get back into playing music, switched on this guy's video as a bit of an inspiration and a tutorial to follow and I'm just amazed at how well he plays.

Sí Beag sí Mór
                                                                                                              Love his guitar wow.

Comment

...

Comment

Stop talking about Putin or he'll hack the site again.

Comment

...
                                                                                                                    The calculated grading system being used for this year's Leaving Certificate has been designed to ensure that overall girls will do better than boys.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Not sure tbh, haven't been talking to him about it, just sent him a message telling him he was mad.

I got impatient and called it at 28 days. The steaks were lovely but just starting to get the really beefy dry age taste so I'm leaving my next one in for 6 weeks. It lost about 1/3 of its mass and after pellicle trimming it was probably down to around 55-60% of the original. It means that the price of your steak effectively doubles so it ain't a cheap way to eat. It's great to be able to cut them to whatever thickness you like though. I got a full striploin in my local butchers last week for €110 and I should get 11-12 nice thick steaks out of it when its ready.
                                                                                                                      Going to give this a go. Are there any particular cut that lend itself to the bags? Fattier or leaner? Marbled like a rib eye or fat cap better?

Comment

Capped or bone-in is good because when you go to trim you're losing less of the edible stuff. Bone in ribeye is probably the way to go. I'm not an authority though so maybe check the reddit dry aging sub.

Comment

The coverage of the leaving cert grades is going to be epically hilarious and misinformed.

For starters on the news cycle: anyone with a penis gets a deduction.

​​​​

If colleges are going to be mostly online, then why not just really open up the entry requirments, let 2x or 3x students start the course and take whatever the normal intake is into 2nd year? (French style?)
                                                                                                                          Whatever happens, we're going to be listening to people moaning about this forever. I hate having to listen to LC coverage at the best of times.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X