X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

sure, but other peoples most memorable time might be a trip around the world or their favorite music festival, doesn't mean we should apply a different logic to those events
      Society places a higher value on wedding ceremonies than music festivals. Shocker I know.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Society places a higher value on wedding ceremonies than music festivals. Shocker I know.
        I'm well aware of that. I don't think music festivals should be allowed go ahead. But if you've 50 at a wedding you can have a few at an outdoor event, logic doesn't match up.
        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Get born, get married, have kids, die. Four life stages that nearly everyone experiences every stage, and a pretty core part of who we are. I think letting people have a nice wedding day is fairly cool.
          Sure. But if it's safe to have a gathering at a wedding, it's safe to gather for other occasions.

Also does nearly everyone get married? Would have thought it s dropped well over years, with it being a load of shite and that?
          Last edited by eamonhonda; 19-08-20, 11:54.
          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
            I'm totally unconvinced the advice given by NPHET, after being digested by and regurgitated by the government (of which my party is a member don't forget) are coherent.
            What party are you a member of Keane? (never really seen you get stuck into the political debate before so curious and I couldn't tell by your posting).

Going to guess
            SPOILER
            FF?

Comment

Comment

What party are you a member of Keane? (never really seen you get stuck into the political debate before so curious and I couldn't tell by your posting).

Going to guess
                SPOILER
                FF?
                Well it couldn't be the Greens, what with all that international air travel...
                This too shall pass.

Comment

Avid cyclist though!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                    Avid cyclist though!
                    Surely you cant just pick the points of the manifesto that you approve of or suit you and disregard the rest ? Cant be half hugging the trees.
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Arragh look would ye ever cop on... The weddings exemption is simple they made it 50 some weeks ago and people have arranged weddings through September on that basis. After a number of false starts it would have been cruel and unusual punishment to block those who have already compromised severely in going ahead with 50 guests. Like many other things it doesn't really stand up to comparison with anything else.
                      The whole thing is made for dubious comparison, funerals and Supermarket shopping, post mass conversation and post match conversation.
                      While the sporting limits sound a bit odd but I'd be with Hitch that they are not plucking it out of thin air. I for one am sick that we can't go racing this week, its seems unfair and unreasonable not to be allowing owners attend when people could go to GAA matches but hey this is a situation where there just isn't time or knowledge and experience to get everything perfectly correct. Broad brush strokes in applying the measures that will provide the most effective means of limiting spread of the virus appear to be the only choice.
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        Avid cyclist though!
                        He'd be more preachy if he was Green.

Comment

Sure. But if it's safe to have a gathering at a wedding, it's safe to gather for other occasions.

Also does nearly everyone get married? Would have thought it s dropped well over years, with it being a load of shite and that?
                          According to the CSO:

The married population increased by 4.9 per cent between 2011 and 2016, growing from 1,708,604 to 1,792,151 which was faster than the overall population growth of 3.8 per cent
                          Also: tip for the day, be very careful about repeating the last thought to any ladies you might get involved with. Even if they pretend to agree with you.

Comment

It's definitely high time a plan is drawn up that assumes no vaccine ever. When do we start to live life again.
                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

I'd genuinely love to see the data related to football spreading the virus. I can go to a food pub and get locked with the same lads on the team but cant train with over 15 or go and watch a game. It makes no sense.

The CMO is having a mare since Holohan left and I never thought I'd say it but I miss Varadkar and Harris. At least they came out straight and told us what was going on. Irish people will never learn voting FF
                              You shouldn't be able to get locked in 105 mins while also having a substantial meal. Also, I'm pretty sure pub bookings aren't allowed for a big group of people that all live in different households. Some pubs might let you do it, but they would be breaking the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

The measures are completely incoherent. You can still have 50 people at a wedding but can't have any spectators in outdoor venues that can normally hold 10000 people. From a sports perspective you can only have 15 at a training session even if it is non contact but they can play full contact against 15 strangers if it's a match. Indoor mass is exempt.

This is pretty lamentable stuff and gives the impression that they're either making up nonsense to be seen to be doing something, or that they're trying to poke a few GAA-shaped bears to distract from the fact that they've done a terrible job on food processing plants and direct provision despite them being widely flaggedas looming disasters for something approaching six months.

​​​
                                Flagging this up as something to annoy the GAA is very paranoid. Essentially things are getting more out of control than people would like, so instead of going back to the draconian "close everything" model which was used because there wasn't enough information available about how to prevent the spread, they are trying a more nuanced version that allows sporting events to happen, businesses (in the main) to stay open, and trying to regain a bit of control that way.

If it doesn't work because people are too sick of it or want to disregard things as a form of protest because they want to behave like children, then sports events will be stopped entirely, gyms closed again, restaurants, etc. etc. if people can't be trusted to be sensible. All this whinging by the likes of the GAA (ridiculous statement demanding to see evidence) only fuels people up to disregard rules. As we get into the winter it's going to be much worse with people not trusting the experts to do their jobs. People watching a GAA match (or other sports) is not critical. There are inconsistencies, but that's because they want businesses to stay open as much as practibible. Suck it up.

Comment

Going to guess
                                  SPOILER
                                  FF?
                                  LOL. FF are the nut low. I generally support the Greens and voted for FG before that. Still think FG are probably the best of them but there's some reasons for which I find it hard to vote for them that would be interesting to no one.

I joined the GP a few months ago hoping to vote for them to join the government before realising that I wouldn't be allowed to vote for what should have been obvious reasons. Since they went in that direction anyway I've reverted to a general lack of interest in anything above the level of local policy on the public realm, ultimately the literal only thing that has the capacity to annoy or delight me on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Flagging this up as something to annoy the GAA is very paranoid. Essentially things are getting more out of control than people would like, so instead of going back to the draconian "close everything" model which was used because there wasn't enough information available about how to prevent the spread, they are trying a more nuanced version that allows sporting events to happen, businesses (in the main) to stay open, and trying to regain a bit of control that way.

If it doesn't work because people are too sick of it or want to disregard things as a form of protest because they want to behave like children, then sports events will be stopped entirely, gyms closed again, restaurants, etc. etc. if people can't be trusted to be sensible. All this whinging by the likes of the GAA (ridiculous statement demanding to see evidence) only fuels people up to disregard rules. As we get into the winter it's going to be much worse with people not trusting the experts to do their jobs. People watching a GAA match (or other sports) is not critical. There are inconsistencies, but that's because they want businesses to stay open as much as practibible. Suck it up.

I haven't the slightest trouble following the previous set of restrictions nor the latest, they'll have little or no impact on me. The plain and simple reality, which can be observed today on TV, radio, newspapers and social media is that the latest decree is baffling and annoying people across the board because it is contradictory and arbitrary.

You can pretend that allowing mass and weddings but drastically restricting outdoor gatherings isn't arbitrary if you want to, but the very clear evidence I'm seeing is that across the country people believe it's stupid. It's great that we get to tell them to suck it up but it's going to be annoying if (when) they don't. You're describing it as nuanced but I think a lot of people would see it as confused and unlikely to address the key issues, mainly indoor settings where poor people live in bunk beds and indoor settings where poor people cut up pigs.

We've seen previously when there has been strong messaging and good communication people have rowed in behind it. When the messaging has been confused or wishy washy it has been ignored or rejected. If they have data to suggest the things they've restricted have been important sources of infection I'd be extremely confident people would go along with the new restrictions stoicly. I seriously suspect they don't have any such data and I seriously suspect everyone else suspects they don't have it either.

Comment

You shouldn't be able to get locked in 105 mins while also having a substantial meal. Also, I'm pretty sure pub bookings aren't allowed for a big group of people that all live in different households. Some pubs might let you do it, but they would be breaking the rules.

Sound like a challenge!

Comment

For sure the messaging is not as clear under Donnelly/ Martin as it was under Harris/ Varadkar but in fairness that might have as much to do with the complexity of the message than the people involved.

Comment

Book multiple places so 2nd booking coincides with the end of your first etc. No obligation to eat the food you order, just leave it to the side of the table (I havent done this personally but have seen it in action myself). How could they know how many households we are coming from? Me and a few housemates if anyone asks, impossible to police that one imo.

I have no problem.with the restrictions, it's actually a more pleasant pub experience than it was pre covid. Its just the new measures seem nonsensical and are just there so they can be seen to be doing something.

Comment

Book multiple places so 2nd booking coincides with the end of your first etc. No obligation to eat the food you order, just leave it to the side of the table (I havent done this personally but have seen it in action myself). How could they know how many households we are coming from? Me and a few housemates if anyone asks, impossible to police that one imo.

I have no problem.with the restrictions, it's actually a more pleasant pub experience than it was pre covid. Its just the new measures seem nonsensical and are just there so they can be seen to be doing something.
                                            Not many full squads of GAA players live together.

Comment

Comment

How does it work when you’ve booked and are at the table?
                                                Over here you have to stay at the table and can’t be mixing with other groups. A quiet drink is more enjoyable these days, but nothing resembling a session.

Comment

So, earlier this morning, I get a WhatApps message from an Asian mobile number, saying 'Hey's what the craic?'

The profile picture is of a very attractive Asian girl. Straight away, I'm obviously thinking that this is a scam which I would normally just delete/block but decide, I'll play along and waste their time. So I reply and there a few messages back and forth. On each one I send, I'm deliberately opening the door for them to post something like "Hey, have a look at some of my photo's through this link" by saying things like how they look very pretty, how I'm a business man with my own large company and how it must be late in Asia, are you ready to go to bed, etc.

But this hasn't happened and as the messages have gone back and forth almost all day, this person seems to be very genuine and was apparently in Dublin last year and either got given a wrong number by some Irish lad or input the wrong number into her phone - Either that, or they are playing a very long game.

So now, I probably look like some creepy middle aged western lad who is not so subtly trying to crack onto some young good looking Asian girl.

Should be a fun one to explain to the Mrs should she ever see my phone

Comment

portion of chicken wings and chips and a takeaway container means you save on going to the chipper later

The issue with weddings / outdoor gatherings seems so blindingly obvious why it was drawn up, I can only deduce increased isolation has led of an increase of self absorption.
                                                    This was done both as an emotional and stressful relief for couples who have had to cancel multiple times so far this year and the subsequent industries who have already invested already depleted reserves into the re-arranged nuptials due over the next 4 weeks .
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Comment

Newly released version of (I can't get no) Satisfaction with Rory Gallagher and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Cool story from Rory's brother Donal about how JLL didn't know the song and though it was a wind up...

“A bit bamboozled at the lyrics and a bit embarrassed at not really knowing of the song, Jerry’s paranoia kicked in and thought he was being ‘wound-up. Annoyance flashed on the Killer’s face, as his wild eyes scanned the studio, fixing on Rory. ‘I trust you boy. Without looking at anyone else but me, tell me truthfully, is there a song called Satisfaction? If so, you start teaching me.’”

Comment

The logic isn't that one thing is safe and the other is not-safe. They're both not safe, they've just decided to allow one unsafe activity because of economic or social benefits.
                                                            Yep, I know that, and that's what I have a problem with. It should be a case of which is safe. If it's too unsafe to have 100 people in a big stadium, then have your marriage party next year.

If it's within the reasonable risk limits to hold a 50 person wedding, then let similar risk events take place so we can attempt to get back to normal.

​​​​
                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Yep, I know that, and that's what I have a problem with. It should be a case of which is safe. If it's too unsafe to have 100 people in a big stadium, then have your marriage party next year.

If it's within the reasonable risk limits to hold a 50 person wedding, then let similar risk events take place so we can attempt to get back to normal.

​​​​
                                                              You are missing the point eamo.

Each 50 person event has a certain probability of spreading. Less 50 person events means less probability of a spread.

The gov have simply prioritized certain 50 person events over others.

Nothing is standalone. Everything is risky. Choosing which risky events to allow and not allow is all they are doing.

You can rightfully argue with the priority though tbh. Weddings < GAA matches is a fair argument but i think that’s been had above.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

You can rightfully argue with the priority though tbh. Weddings < GAA matches is a fair argument but i think that’s been had above.
                                                                    Haha yeah, I've heard many comment about the lack of weddings being a pretty huge lockdown plus
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Haha yeah, I've heard many comment about the lack of weddings being a pretty huge lockdown plus
                                                                      lol i would echo these sentiments.

I do think the confusing thing for people is the priority and i think it’d be super helpful if they said “here’s what we are considering when we say weddings are good and gaa spectators is bad”

but then you have to deal with the noise the explanations cause because ultimately, they won’t be perfect and will be value judgements and opinion as much as hard data based. So by explaining you actually create more noise... which is regrettable but probably the truth.

Then you have people taking whatever data you do have and misinterpreting it either ignorantly or wilfully to push an agenda.

Ultimately it comes down to trust, and a sincere belief that they are doing what they can with the info they can and they are the experts.

I really don’t think they are making decisions to harm anyone specific, business or industry or sport, but to cause least overall harm.
                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Ah here cinemas can have 50 people? There goes the happiest moment of your life theory!
                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

GAA should be told to reduce to reduce the amount of players on the pitch (22 between the two teams sounds reasonable), stop players touching the ball with their hands for safety reasons (maybe allow one exemption per team near their own goal) and get rid of points to help keep the ball in the playing area.

Comment

Hmmm, Tayto Park might be interesting in these high winds tomorrow.

Thursday in my defence was forecast to be the best day of the week when I bought the tickets.

Comment

...

Comment

I see they have coined maskne for the ferocious damage to our precious faces from wearing masks. Anyone else affected? Had to get some sort of eczema cream to get the face back to its perfection. The lady in the pharmacy was saying masks are destroying half the people she knows and the other half were so badly damaged beforehand they just hadn't noticed. Might be time to buy cream stocks and sell selfie stocks.
                                                                                Was thinking when I spotted a lady in full niqab in town earlier this week that Islamic fundie types must be going muhahaha at this newfound hiding of our decadent heathen faces.

Comment

...

Comment

Was reading a bit more about that homeschooled family from Mayo. This story gives some decent insights if it hasn't been linked before.
                                                                                    Think I may have understated it when calling them nutcases earlier.

Comment

Think I may have understated it when calling them nutcases earlier.
                                                                                      The judgment is way off, perhaps what the department did was unlawful but calling it unreasonable and unfair is idiotic!

Comment

With kids gping back to school next week, a very lax regime in relation to devices and internet access needs to be replaced with a fist of steel.

Short of actually confiscating the fucking things off the kids every day, can anyone recommend software that can monitor and control their hours?

3 kids:
                                                                                        1 Android tablet each
                                                                                        Boy has a Nintendo switch
                                                                                        eldest has an Android phone
                                                                                        provider is Virgin

Comment

Google Family Link covers Android. Dont know about Nintendo.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

QQ @ HH or anyone who has any info

Was thinking about taking a medium/long term punt on crypto , about 1k. Ripple possibly.

What's a good trading platform to use. Dont want to get sting with high fees or hidden fees and looking for a very simple easy to understand process. Presumably theres a verification process.
                                                                                                When you sell is it a straightforward click the sell now button and they credit your account or do you have to verify to the nth degree and wait a week.

Any info or tips appreciated.

Comment

Non Essential Services Flow Chart by Theresa:

Does the industry have any other source of income than in person commerce?

Yes - stay closed.

No- continue.

Does the industry or event have scope for controlled and safe methods to conduct commerce?

No - stay closed.

Yes - continue.

Does the event, or act of commerce, create an environment for people to act irrationally and disregard the safety measures?

Yes- Stay Closed

No - Continue

Is the industry or event something that is valued in Irish society?

No - stay closed

Yes - continue

Is the value to society able to be reproduced without in person gatherings?

No - open with controlled measures.
                                                                                                  Yes - stay closed.

Comment

Give it Theresa til the end of Season

Comment

Anyone watching the Kingdom on Netflix it's excellent about the fighters not to be confused with some foreign thing with same name.
                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Seriously though, bring back Simon Harris.

The Thick of It featuring Stephen Donnelly tonight. (An Tiubh De)

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                          Anyone watching the Kingdom on Netflix it's excellent about the fighters not to be confused with some foreign thing with same name.
                                                                                                          Liked the first couple of seasons of it.

The Korean one is good fun

Comment

Watched darkest hour purely as it was on after the news

was ok for a while and then boom the single most cringe scene I’ve ever watched -Churchill goes on the Tube- absolutely fucking disgrace of a scene
                                                                                                            Last edited by Guest; 19-08-20, 22:34.

Comment

...

Comment

Coinbase is very straightforward. Presumably with high fees as a result, but they didn't seem too bad. Bank transfers to them took about two days. I think verification was by uploading passport pic. Taking money out was a click of a button and it immediately appeared in my bank account. I guess they're probably so popular just because they are so easy and no nonsense too use. Any of the cheaper options seem to have problems.
                                                                                                                for amounts like 1k why not use revolut - there only have Bitcoin and ETH at the moment afaik (they are expanding the range) but it's immediate and realtime - in and out. they take a charge like everyone else but for those amounts it's negligible

Comment

Coinbase is very straightforward. Presumably with high fees as a result, but they didn't seem too bad. Bank transfers to them took about two days. I think verification was by uploading passport pic. Taking money out was a click of a button and it immediately appeared in my bank account. I guess they're probably so popular just because they are so easy and no nonsense too use. Any of the cheaper options seem to have problems.

Thanks, will give them a good google and then decide what I'm going to spin the wheel with!

Comment

...

Comment

I accidentally stabbed my acupuncturist today . I was morto but he said his psoriasis has since cleared up.

Comment

I don't get what's wrong with that? It's all fundamentally correct and the right way of looking at things.

And I firmly think he's a gobshite ever since he started tweeting videos of him writing simplistic graphs on a board during the financial crisis.
                                                                                                                        Well the first issue is that he was asked about schools and started talking about cars and trampolines.

Of course everything has risk, but to state all risk si the same is not fundamentally correct.
                                                                                                                        Claiming that coronavirus is not more risky that driving a car. Just because they can both kill you doesn't mean the risk is the same. I'd thought that was a fairly mad claim 6 months in. That's a line straight from the covid deniers in march

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Well the first issue is that he was asked about schools and started talking about cars and trampolines.

Of course everything has risk, but to state all risk si the same is not fundamentally correct.
                                                                                                                          Claiming that coronavirus is not more risky that driving a car. Just because they can both kill you doesn't mean the risk is the same. I'd thought that was a fairly mad claim 6 months in. That's a line straight from the covid deniers in march
                                                                                                                          Always thought he was the kind of bullshit merchant who would swiftly crumble under the weight of real world problems.

In any case, The People Have Spoken.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X