This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quotes trivia: name the originator.
    1. Upon seeing Niagra Falls, he called it 'the second greatest disappointment for American brides'.
    2. Upon being asked by an interviewer was he happy: 'what do you take me for? An idiot?'
    3. 'To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive'.
    4. Upon being asked, on his deathbed, did he renounce the devil and all his works: 'now, sir, is not the time to be making enemies'.
    5. 'Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.'
    6. Upon being told he was drunk: 'I am drunk. But in the morning madam, I will be sober. And you will still be ugly.'
    7. 'Who remembers the Armenians?'
    8. 'Please accept my resignation. I don't want to be part of a club that would have me as a member'.
    9. 'The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice'
    10. 'I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food'
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Was pretty nice up in Marlay this morning

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Of course there are still cunts who think it's ok to park on the sidewalk.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

That's a path.

Comment

If ever was a time for encouraging parking fines. Guards did it at a local park other day beside me

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
              We've seen quite a few horror stories over the years, where a company does fuck all research but buys based on cheap price. Samples look great but when the full 40' container arrives at their back door, it is full of absolute crap. It's not just small companies that have got caught out. Some big medical/pharma guys have got stung badly.
              A few of these have cropped up over the years. Companies sending over branded products and asking to replicate them only they arrive in with the brand name plastered on them so useless.

One lad has two containers of jacks which have a 2 inch waste outlet instead of four inch. Grand on a rice diet, not so good for Guinness and chips diet

Comment

Wonder when the Chinese are going to fess up and admit the virus was accidentally released from a lab?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                  Wonder when the Chinese are going to fess up and admit the virus was accidentally released from a lab?
                  Genuine question, is there any sort of theory or evidence on the above or just a general don't trust the Chinese?
                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                    Genuine question, is there any sort of theory or evidence on the above or just a general don't trust the Chinese?
                    It’s not tinfoil hat stuff, it’s been a known risk (worldwide not just China) for a long time.
                    People in these labs do stupid shit all the time

Comment

Comment

Comment

The theory's most solid basis is that Wuhan is one of only 2 cities in China with a Level 4 Bio Safety Lab.
                          There's only about 40 such labs in the world.

Comment

Comment

Plenty of well fleshed out theories floating around the internet.

Opr

Comment

It’s not tinfoil hat stuff, it’s been a known risk (worldwide not just China) for a long time.
                                It's happened before

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                  The theory's most solid basis is that Wuhan is one of only 2 cities in China with a Level 4 Bio Safety Lab.
                                  There's only about 40 such labs in the world.
                                  Also the Chinese lads kicked out of Canada a couple of years ago for stealing viruses from a lab were linked to the Wuhan lab
                                  And safety levels not supposed to be up to scratch over there, a different Chinese virus lab apparently had a similar leak fairly recently

Stopped the world talking about Hong Kong

It's a bit tinfoily but not by a crazy amount
                                  Last edited by Guest; 05-04-20, 11:19.

Comment

The stopped the world talking about Hong Kong line is one you should definitely throw into any conversation with a tinfoil hat merchant btw

Just release the line casually and watch it fly

Comment

Left my brown suede gloves in the park. I'll be reduced to wearing my motorcycle or skiing gloves like some kind of nacker.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                        For the Flushdraw poker types what's a good payout for a 36 runner €20 a head game? Top 4 paid? Breakdown?
                                        Home/Friendly game, or something more structural?

Originally posted by connie147 View Post
                                        Hey Danny
                                        Something like

1st---350
                                        2nd--210
                                        3rd--110
                                        4th---50
                                        Connie's is good if you want to pay the usual 4

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                        Assuming no rake and a social rather than competitive reason for playing I'd pay 6, 15% of field is now standard online.

1st €260. 2nd €175. 3rd €115.
                                        4th €80. 5th €55. 6th €35.
                                        This seems like quite a good, flat strucure that should keep people happy, espically if it's a friendly home page.

I would split the difference and pay 5 (which allows people to pay the bubble and take 20e from 1st, and effectively pay 6.

1st: 300
                                        2nd: 180
                                        3rd: 115
                                        4th: 75
                                        5th: 50

Comment

I found this guy on Rogan pretty good

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in...

Comment

The labs do mess about with viruses and creating mad shit. It's not like it was unleashed on the world more like some fucking idiots infected themselves and spread it.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                              The labs do mess about with viruses and creating mad shit. It's not like it was unleashed on the world more like some fucking idiots infected themselves and spread it.
                                              However it started, tbf to the Chinese, they're not really portraying it as having definitely begun in the wet markets.

Director General of Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the following

Originally posted by . View Post
                                              Q: There are many questions about the origin of the outbreak in China. Chinese researchers have reported that the earliest case dates back to 1 December 2019. What do you think of the report in the South China Morning Post that says data from the Chinese government show there were cases in November 2019, with the first one on 17 November?

A: There is no solid evidence to say we already had clusters in November. We are trying to better understand the origin.

Q: Wuhan health officials linked a large cluster of cases to the Huanan seafood market and closed it on 1 January. The assumption was that a virus had jumped to humans from an animal sold and possibly butchered at the market. But in your paper in NEJM, which included a retrospective look for cases, you reported that four of the five earliest infected people had no links to the seafood market. Do you think the seafood market was a likely place of origin, or is it a distraction—an amplifying factor but not the original source?

A: That’s a very good question. You are working like a detective. From the very beginning, everybody thought the origin was the market. Now, I think the market could be the initial place, or it could be a place where the virus was amplified. So that’s a scientific question. There are two possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                Being the cause (wet markets) of both SARS and covid does give you a certain expertise....
                                                There is a lot of misunderstanding of how absolutely inevitable this was.

Viruses gonna do what viruses gonna do. Evolving jumping around from host to host finding new niches has been going on since the start of time and doesn't need any help from labs or wet markets to occur.

The only bit under our control is how rapidly and extensively a novel virus can travel. Because of ubiquitous air travel we have designed the world to make it really easy for them to do their thing on a global scale.

The important thing we missed were the blindingly obvious and clear warnings we've had in recent years with SARS MERS and Ebola.

Originally posted by Denny Crane

Have you ever known humans to prepare for tail risk well?
                                                SARS was hardly the top of Harris's briefing list when he took over health.
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Unseasonably warm weather in London probably the final death knell in their graph being the worst in Europe by the end of this. Tonnes of pics of crowds everywhere.
                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

1. Upon seeing Niagra Falls, he called it 'the second greatest disappointment for American brides'.
                                                    2. Upon being asked by an interviewer was he happy: 'what do you take me for? An idiot?'
                                                    4. Upon being asked, on his deathbed, did he renounce the devil and all his works: 'now, sir, is not the time to be making enemies'.
                                                    6. Upon being told he was drunk: 'I am drunk. But in the morning madam, I will be sober. And you will still be ugly.'
                                                    8. 'Please accept my resignation. I don't want to be part of a club that would have me as a member'.
                                                    BUMP for my carefully-crafted trivia quiz. I feel oddly slighted by the lack of response.

Comment

it is Tinfoil hats about that we all know that this is just a ruse to get the 5g installed, Denis O'brien came up with the idea after the attempted irish water meters I mean that is fair obv

Also the crackpots on the web be blasting Bill Gates about testing in Africa... cant really follow what's going on and why Trevor Noah is involved anyone got links!! cheers

Comment

Nate Silver breaking down the meaningless nature of simply looking at confirmed cases: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...mpression=true

Comment

Danes starting to roll things back next week. That's encouraging. I'm already starting to get twitchy.

Comment

I've taken up baking.

Comment

I'm doing heaps of cooking. Barely made a dinner that hasn't taken at least 3 hours. 24 hour sous-vide roast on at the moment.

Comment

VEry guessy, thought I would have known more of them

[/QUOTE]

SPOILER
                                                                Upon seeing Niagra Falls, he called it 'the second greatest disappointment for American brides'.
                                                                Wilde
                                                                Upon being asked by an interviewer was he happy: 'what do you take me for? An idiot?'
                                                                Shaw?
                                                                'To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive'.
                                                                Grrrr I know I used to know that ... Its like 18th century ... Pope ???

Upon being asked, on his deathbed, did he renounce the devil and all his works: 'now, sir, is not the time to be making enemies'.
                                                                Voltaire
                                                                'Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.'
                                                                Picasso? ... its not him its some other 20th century artist, grrrr
                                                                Upon being told he was drunk: 'I am drunk. But in the morning madam, I will be sober. And you will still be ugly.'
                                                                Churchill
                                                                'Who remembers the Armenians?'
                                                                Hitler?
                                                                'Please accept my resignation. I don't want to be part of a club that would have me as a member'.
                                                                Groucho
                                                                'The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice'
                                                                Lincoln?
                                                                'I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food'
                                                                Keith Floyd?

Comment

pretty sure 6 goes

i am drunk madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning i will be sober.

my father used to love that one

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                    Pulled two of my old BMX bikes out of the shed today - a Redline RL 240 Freestyle and a Specialized Fuse.

Gonna do 'em up.

Then i finally got around to transferring some live techno jams i did 20 years ago from Zip Disk (100mb) to Soundcloud. Have more to excavate.
                                                                    Was quite the BMX enthusiast back in the 1980s first wave.

Eddie Fiola - The Flying Banana was one of the biggest names in the sport back then.

He his still going strong so you have no excuses Benny.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Stan and Ollie fab performances from both actors . Coogan is a gifted bastard all the same.

Comment

Vaccine in around two months according to a guy on This week on Radio 1.

Missed the start of it he was talking about it being developed by a Doctor Gallo in the states and a Russian associate. Some adaptation of an already available vaccine.

Comment

I've taken up baking.
                                                                          What have you baked and pics

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                            VEry guessy, thought I would have known more of them
                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                            Upon seeing Niagra Falls, he called it 'the second greatest disappointment for American brides'.
                                                                            Wilde
                                                                            Upon being asked by an interviewer was he happy: 'what do you take me for? An idiot?'
                                                                            Shaw?
                                                                            'To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive'.
                                                                            Grrrr I know I used to know that ... Its like 18th century ... Pope ???

Upon being asked, on his deathbed, did he renounce the devil and all his works: 'now, sir, is not the time to be making enemies'.
                                                                            Voltaire
                                                                            'Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.'
                                                                            Picasso? ... its not him its some other 20th century artist, grrrr
                                                                            Upon being told he was drunk: 'I am drunk. But in the morning madam, I will be sober. And you will still be ugly.'
                                                                            Churchill
                                                                            'Who remembers the Armenians?'
                                                                            Hitler?
                                                                            'Please accept my resignation. I don't want to be part of a club that would have me as a member'.
                                                                            Groucho
                                                                            'The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice'
                                                                            Lincoln?
                                                                            'I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food'
                                                                            Keith Floyd?
                                                                            [/QUOTE]

5/10 and you're close on 3

Comment

SPOILER

4. Voltaire (probably said it in French though)
                                                                              5. Einstein
                                                                              6. Churchill
                                                                              7. Hilter
                                                                              8. Groucho Marx

10 rings a bell 🔔

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                pretty sure 6 goes

i am drunk madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning i will be sober.

my father used to love that one
                                                                                yeah, it was from memory so your dad might be right

You should know number 2?!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                  SPOILER

4. Voltaire (probably said it in French though)
                                                                                  5. Einstein
                                                                                  6. Churchill
                                                                                  7. Hilter
                                                                                  8. Groucho Marx

10 rings a bell 🔔
                                                                                  5/10 and in a tie with Strewel for the prestigious* trophy

*by which I mean imaginary

Comment

yeah, it was from memory so your dad might be right

You should know number 2?!
                                                                                    once translated into French it is very recognisable

Comment

The important thing we missed were the blindingly obvious and clear warnings we've had in recent years with SARS MERS and Ebola.
                                                                                      With the caveat being it was obvious in hindsight.
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                        Tonnes of pics of crowds everywhere.
                                                                                        Even now?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                          It actually reminds of an old boss of mine.

In addition to owning a shipping company, he had a very large property portfolio, I'm talking around 100 million in the height of the boom.

This guy was an absolute cunt but he was also a genius, he just knew when things were going to take off and when things were going to go south, it was just something he was born with. He sold off the overwhelming majority of his property in 2007.

I'll never forget being on a business trip with him in late 2006. The weekend before, two mates of mine (two brothers) had dragged me to a property show in the Shelbourne which was all based around investing in apartments in Bulgaria. Prices were dirt cheap and ROI levels looked fantastic.

Between the three of us, we could have afforded it so I mentioned this to my boss and he was so serious in his response;

'Never, ever, ever, invest in a property that you cannot get into your car and drive to it within 2 hours - Anything outside of that and you have no control over it'

While it was pretty much still pie in the sky for me and the lads, I immediately backed out of it, which kinda forced the lads to do the same. When I think back now, we would have lost our bollox on that shit.
                                                                                          Enjoyed reading this post. Whats the old boss up to in recent years?.

Comment

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

One of my fav quotes. (I know I know -take the advice )

Comment

You think the type of people who consume love island etc are going to think about anyone other than themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                What have you baked and pics
                                                                                                The kids birthday cake. Was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                  Was quite the BMX enthusiast back in the 1980s first wave.

Eddie Fiola - The Flying Banana was one of the biggest names in the sport back then.

He his still going strong so you have no excuses Benny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpFxHMNlepM
                                                                                                  Lol... I just watched a couple of Eddie Fiola videos yesterday after I went down a rabbit hole looking for parts etc...

Yes this was my era too. Loved both the freestyle and racing.

The last time I BMX-ed in earnest was about 8 or 9 years ago, I took my bike to a track and was ripping round as best I could, slid off at a berm (in my attempts to beat a 10 year old) and ripped my knee open. That was the end of that.

I had no access to a track when I was a kid so one summer we built one (well, about 1/3 of one before we got bored) in my buddy's front garden which had been a pig run.

I could do most of the tricks in the video actually. They seem pretty tame compared to what can be done now mind you.
                                                                                                  Last edited by BennyHiFi; 05-04-20, 14:42.

Comment

Revered those who were good at tricks on bmx's as a young lad for a short time despite not even having a bike of my own of any description. Fcuked if I was spending money on bmx magazines or any magazines though. That was a pipe dream, youse must have been rich.
                                                                                                    Any odds were spent on Superman cards(stick of bubblegum included), wham and macaroon bars.
                                                                                                    ''Got any odds?''.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                      With the caveat being it was obvious in hindsight.
                                                                                                      In 2014, the world avoided a global outbreak of Ebola, thanks to thousands of selfless health workers -- plus, frankly, some very good luck. In hindsight, we know what we should have done better. So, now's the time, Bill Gates suggests, to put all our good ideas into practice, from scenario planning to vaccine research to health worker training. As he says, "There's no need to panic ... but we need to get going."

Not the smartest man on the planet for nothing

Comment

Answers within:
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          Oscar Wilde
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          Charles de Gaulle
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          Robert Louis Stevenson
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          Voltaire
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          Albert Einstein
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          Churchill
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          Hitler
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          Groucho Marx
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          Martin Luther King
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          W.C. Fields

Comment

Lockdown? Fuck that I think I'll have a sex party.....

Comment

Answers within:
                                                                                                            1. Upon being told he was drunk: 'I am drunk. But in the morning madam, I will be sober. And you will still be ugly.'
                                                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                                                              Churchill

If that's true, he stole it from Oscar Wilde.

Comment

https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates...e_re_not_ready

Not the smartest man on the planet for nothing
                                                                                                              I think the majority of money donated via the Gates Foundation is targeted towards disease related causes.

Gates effectively has skin in the game, he's clearly right but he's been pushing for greater emphasis on this to target already widespread diseases.

I recall his review of Matt Ridleys Rational Optimist and Pinkers Enlightenment Now, his only critique was their optimism on diseases.

Comment

If that's true, he stole it from Oscar Wilde.
                                                                                                                put up a quiz for us there like a good outreach worker

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                                  I don't know whether it is programming of the need to avoid sounding Xenophobic but the first thing that comes to mind when reading this stuff which I feel I shouldn't say is around the ventilators that are getting sent around the world at the moment and the quality control that probably isn't obvious unless you have very competent people doing long quality control checks. Am I am being an idiot?

Opr
                                                                                                                  You would hope that ventilators have a smaller set of trusted manufacturers in comparison to disposable PPE but with demand as it is who knows.

In more positive news it seems the antibody tests are not quite ready yet but, hopefully, soon will be. There's an interesting article in The Lancet around their development which contains the following:

Virologists generally agree that media reports of reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 are most likely due to erroneous PCR tests. Hibberd argues that once people produce antibodies against a particular coronavirus, they probably have immunity for life. Indeed, Wang's laboratory has investigated how long immunity against SARS-CoV and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus lasts. “17 years later, a SARS survivor still has neutralising antibodies against SARS—we found that not only were the antibodies there, but they could still neutralise the SARS virus.”

Comment

The kids birthday cake. Was amazing.
                                                                                                                    Ah yeah. Saw that on Facebook. Looked savage tbf

Comment

I wrote a song last week - I got the bees.

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Here's the follow up:

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Planning on making it weekly occurrence until normal life is resumed!

Comment

I full on dont trust a thing, but a few things out already that prove couldnt have been made by humanoids in a lab..guess how deep you want to go down the rabbit hole but I was convinced

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                                                          I full on dont trust a thing, but a few things out already that prove couldnt have been made by humanoids in a lab..guess how deep you want to go down the rabbit hole but I was convinced
                                                                                                                          The current stories don't suggest these labs were trying to engineer the virus. They were involved in studies some of which revolved around bats and understanding their natural immunity to the virus among other things. The story goes that someone in the laboratories through this worked was infected and is patient zero.

Opr

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X