This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

It's mostly the western twitter world I suppose. A lot of real world stuff going on though, women's sport for instance.

Would like a good discussion on it in here actually, be interested to hear opinions.

​​​​
    Everyone’s too scared they might get cancelled
    thats how clearly clearly objectively mental shit like Lia Thomas happens, everyone too scared to say the blindly obvious. Even the reporting on JK Rowling is so weird, pretty much everything she says is common sense and also scientific fact but yet media does the both sides thing - while in reality 99% of the population agree with her
    sports is where the whole shitshow gets found out though
    commence cancellation.exe
    Last edited by MysteryGuest; 22-12-21, 00:01.
    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

This is surprisingly good

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

It's mostly the western twitter world I suppose. A lot of real world stuff going on though, women's sport for instance.

Would like a good discussion on it in here actually, be interested to hear opinions.

​​​​
        I dont like the womens side of sport I watch in general as I think it's an inferior spectacle compared to the mens game. Like I'll watch soccer or GAA mostly but I'd turn womens soccer or GAA off. I compare it to basketball, baseball, golf for me. 3 sports I've got absolutley no interest in and will never watch, I've just got no interest in womens sport and the constant ramming of it down our throats is tiresome.

One thing that annoys me is the caption "real fan" for the TG4 ladies championship in GAA. Get to fuck, real fan.

Only ones I respect are the jockeys. Competing on a level with men and killing it. Rachel Blackmore for instance, now a household name and a hugely respected sports star in her own right.

Comment

You see it with those odd claims that that Bray boxer should be a bigger star. Thats really up to the public, who just don't find it quite interesting. Now maybe she's great, I wouldn't know, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same level of popularity as male fighting. I'm not putting her down as a person, she seems great, just putting down the general idea that we should be paying more attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            Can't believe in all our many years of debating the critical issues of the day, we have never broached the topic of what are the best crackers to be paired with cheese.

This thought occurred to me as I contemplated some expensive Sheridans crackers that were a sub-optimal delivery vehicle for todays cheese investments.

Discuss, ideally with recommendations.
            Got a truffle-infused fontina over the weekend and no crackers. Tried it with the Tuc crackers of the kids and some harsh Scottish oatmealy type posh biscuit and the Tuc wins hands down. The little bits of salt on a Tuc are a winner, plus the overall feel of the bite. I think they're dismissed for their commonness, but their commonness is because of a winning creation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              This is surprisingly good

Great marketing idea, spend much less than a super bowl ad to get 10x the amount of people to watch your ad, that are more likely to be your target audience as it's on youtube.

Comment

Shaming people, or guilting people, for not liking womens sport is just another layer of bullshit I totally ignore in my day to day life.
                As I get older, I get better at filtering out all the BS.

It just washes over me.

Oh TG4 thinks I have to watch womens GAA to be a real fan, thats no different than some dumbfucker telling me I have to support an LOI team to be a real Irish soccer fan. Washes over me.

Or some chap telling me the films or bands, or beers I like are unsophisticated or whatnot. Cool man. Waaaaaaaaaaashes over me.
                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

rosemary crackers for cheese AINEC
                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Cracker by itself isn't pejorative though. It needs the cream.
                    Meh, I don't get particularly upset when people call me a banker.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I think you're all missing the point about women's sport. Whether fans of men's sport find it appealing or not is not the issue. It's a different argument.

It's about erosion of fairness within it.

Not sure if this link will work but The Real Science of Sport podcast cover it really well. This particular ep (S03E27)

​​​​
                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

I dont like the womens side of sport I watch in general as I think it's an inferior spectacle compared to the mens game. Like I'll watch soccer or GAA mostly but I'd turn womens soccer or GAA off. I compare it to basketball, baseball, golf for me. 3 sports I've got absolutley no interest in and will never watch, I've just got no interest in womens sport and the constant ramming of it down our throats is tiresome.

One thing that annoys me is the caption "real fan" for the TG4 ladies championship in GAA. Get to fuck, real fan.

Only ones I respect are the jockeys. Competing on a level with men and killing it. Rachel Blackmore for instance, now a household name and a hugely respected sports star in her own right.
                        video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

The argument, which I think is correct is you can't have inclusion without sacrificing fairness and safety, and fairness and safety is the whole reason behind women's sport being a separate category.

​​​​​​The IOC decided to deem inclusion more important than fairness and safety and have issued guidelines to governing bodies. They advise no restrictions on transwomen competing. Ignoring all scientific evidence. They left it up to governing bodies though.

​​​​​​One of the first sports to come out fully backing the IOC was womens kickboxing.

It's insane.

Comment

PSV subliminally getting in early on the womens sport during the weekend and then deleting it...its now a safe space dude...come out feeling assured...

Beach vollyball is where i draw the line.
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                              PSV subliminally getting in early on the womens sport during the weekend and then deleting it...its now a safe space dude...come out feeling assured...

Beach vollyball is where i draw the line.
                              The safe space thing is interesting. There's pretty much nothing my wife and I fundamentally disagree on.

I've held my tongue on this though , and JKR in the house because my gut was she had a different opinion.

Turns out I was wrong and the two of us had a great convo about it last night after I read CC's post.

So many people in that situation, afraid to even bring up the topic. Bonkers.

Comment

I think you're all missing the point about women's sport. Whether fans of men's sport find it appealing or not is not the issue. It's a different argument.

It's about erosion of fairness within it.

Not sure if this link will work but The Real Science of Sport podcast cover it really well. This particular ep (S03E27)

​​​​
                                TV is shite since Men and Motors went off the air.

Comment

Clearly my hand/eye co-ordination is completely shot with old age judging by my attempt this morning to self cut one of those wavey long stray eyebrows. Better wait for the wife to surface to even shit out.

Comment

The one that kills me is likes of Irish times and guardian not gendering their sports headlines
                                    so you’ll see something like Soccer: Arsenal beat Man City or Soccer:Arsenal advanice to champions league knockouts stages - go holy shit that’s a shock, click in only to find it’s the womens game. Very tilting
                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Jingle Bells in the minor key .

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                        Clearly my hand/eye co-ordination is completely shot with old age judging by my attempt this morning to self cut one of those wavey long stray eyebrows. Better wait for the wife to surface to even shit out.
                                        Just pluck it out like a man (actually more like a woman, but the point stands)

Croke Park flying along this am, in and out in no time if anyone wants a boosting down thataway

Comment

Is grabbing a Tit a yellow card or a red card offence . I'm taking about ON the pitch if soccer becomes unisex this rule will have to be looked at. I think a red card offence but if it's a silicone tit it should be yellow . Either way I look forward to the VAR reviews. Yes a red , he clearly has her by the left tit there . Different angle Nigel? Clear follow though and clench ? Someone open the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                            Is grabbing a Tit a yellow card or a red card offence . I'm taking about ON the pitch if soccer becomes unisex this rule will have to be looked at. I think a red card offence but if it's a silicone tit it should be yellow . Either way I look forward to the VAR reviews. Yes a red , he clearly has her by the left tit there . Different angle Nigel? Clear follow though and clench ? Someone open the window.
                                            I think it was said that the best women's players wouldn't even make it at League 2 level in soccer so wouldn't worry too much about it!

Feels like a deliberate ploy to force the women's game down our throat. Sky now often have a women's soccer game on their "main event" channel and as was previously mentioned, don't gender their headlines either. Fallon Sherrock reached the darts WC and i think i counted at least 3 different vignettes they made for her, constantly mentioning her on their programming days in advance of her appearance... the top males stars don't get that much attention (she went out in the first round). It's actually counter-productive IMO as they actually make people dislike the people involved through no real fault of their own (Sherrock seems perfectly likable and down to earh).

Comment

For me it's about giving girls positive female role models that encourage lasting participation in sport. Anyone who has daughters should get this and support it.

It's not about 'forcing' anyone to watch anything they don't want to.

Comment

Anyone with a spare flexi ticket for Leopardstown going spare for over the Xmas? Will obviously pay for it with cash your way
                                                Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

For me it's about giving girls positive female role models that encourage lasting participation in sport. Anyone who has daughters should get this and support it.

i love women's sports, and when the olympics are on, i enjoy watching the women compete just as much as the men in almost every sport. It makes complete sense though that some of the highly professional sports, like football or rugby, where the women's game and leagues haven't been around for very long, the player pools are very small and they have not had the same type of funding will lag behind and are not as competitive or exciting. A good example of this would be tennis where the women have been on par with the men in terms of prize money and investment, and look at the level at which they play now, it's incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

i love women's sports, and when the olympics are on, i enjoy watching the women compete just as much as the men in almost every sport. It makes complete sense though that some of the highly professional sports, like football or rugby, where the women's game and leagues haven't been around for very long, the player pools are very small and they have not had the same type of funding will lag behind and are not as competitive or exciting. A good example of this would be tennis where the women have been on par with the men in terms of prize money and investment, and look at the level at which they play now, it's incredible.
                                                    Sure to all of this.

It just feels like some people are taking personal offence along the lines of: 'women's sport! on the TV! on my sports channels!! how dare they!!!'

feels a bit antediluvian to say the least

Comment

Sure to all of this.

It just feels like some people are taking personal offence along the lines of: 'women's sport! on the TV! on my sports channels!! how dare they!!!'

I wouldnt say offence is the right word . More indignation.

For me quite a few TV programmes are off my list now. The wimmin are not always necessary . I'm entitled to enjoy what I actually enjoy why would I do otherwise. ?

Comment

Sure to all of this.

Show it all they want imo - just dont enjoy some of the things i watch for an hour now including 30 mins of womens stuff which i have no interest in. Whats wrong with seperate programs?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Show it all they want imo - just dont enjoy some of the things i watch for an hour now including 30 mins of womens stuff which i have no interest in. Whats wrong with seperate programs?
                                                          What programmes are now 'mixed' that weren't previously?
                                                          I'd have thought that sponsorship alone (and broadcasting rights to an extent) would keep most sports programmes from being mixed between different competitions.
                                                          Hell, the BBC hilariously have had to sign out of MOTD premier league before launching MOTD FA Cup 90 seconds later just to differentiate the products for commercial reasons including resale to other broadcasters.
                                                          Only in cases like tennis grand-slams or the Hundred cricket where it's sold by the governing bodies as an all-in package could the programme be mixed.

Curious one (because it dates from the 1980s if not further back) is Ski Sunday which used to be compulsive viewing in our house when we got the cable and the color telly.
                                                          Don't remember anyone being up in arms because they'd show as much of the Womens slalom as the Mens downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

What programmes are now 'mixed' that weren't previously?
                                                            I'd have thought that sponsorship alone (and broadcasting rights to an extent) would keep most sports programmes from being mixed between different competitions.
                                                            Hell, the BBC hilariously have had to sign out of MOTD premier league before launching MOTD FA Cup 90 seconds later just to differentiate the products for commercial reasons including resale to other broadcasters.
                                                            Only in cases like tennis grand-slams or the Hundred cricket where it's sold by the governing bodies as an all-in package could the programme be mixed.

Curious one (because it dates from the 1980s if not further back) is Ski Sunday which used to be compulsive viewing in our house when we got the cable and the color telly.
                                                            Don't remember anyone being up in arms because they'd show as much of the Womens slalom as the Mens downhill.
                                                            The one that annoys me is Football Focus, its about the only thing i get to watch in this house. An hour of interviews, segments and previews which is now more or less 50/50 intermixed throughout the hours with womens football. I just have no interest in it. Do a Womens Focus by all means seperately, im sure there are fans of womens football that have no interest in mens either.

Comment

Most young men die at age 25, but are not buried until they're 75

Comment

Another thing that bugs me is the token female pundit on a panel for a mens match and the all female pundit panel for womens match. An all female panel for the womens game is great to see and it's the way it should be because they've played that sport but there are different rules in mens and womens football and camogie but there is always a token woman on but never a token man on.

Saying that Jacqui Hurley is the best sports anchor on rte and the sooner she gets the Sunday game gig the better.

Comment

I dont think mixed is the issue AJ . Its infiltration on the screens time. Nobody is saying have no wimmins sport on TV . I guess we are saying we will switch off the new attempt at saturation coverage of mediocrity which let's be honest most women's sports are in comparison to the mens . If mediocrity is selling TV advertising well and good but they lose viewers . There is a difference between mediocrity and competitiveness. If we have a skin in the game we'll watch . Eg Sonia O Sullivan in the Olympics . Katie etc . But we''ll mostly switch off otherwise . Be interesting to see if Motor racing (the bastion of testosterone) welcomes FI women in the forthcoming years .

The world is changing very quickly Anyway watch what ye like folks . Money talks and will override anyone's personal opinion. If it keeps selling it will be on the TV . If not. The boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I wouldnt say offence is the right word . More indignation.

For me quite a few TV programmes are off my list now. The wimmin are not always necessary . I'm entitled to enjoy what I actually enjoy why would I do otherwise. ?
                                                                    Sure, but what's with the indignation? Just go back to watching your reruns of Morse you old bollix.

Comment

Sure, but what's with the indignation? Just go back to watching your reruns of Morse you old bollix.
                                                                      Read up Dobby gave you examples .

The Salisbury poison series is very good on Netflix btw

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Buy a stuffed parrot to go with it
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Got a truffle-infused fontina over the weekend and no crackers. Tried it with the Tuc crackers of the kids and some harsh Scottish oatmealy type posh biscuit and the Tuc wins hands down. The little bits of salt on a Tuc are a winner, plus the overall feel of the bite. I think they're dismissed for their commonness, but their commonness is because of a winning creation.
                                                                          The Lidl Sea salt crackers do that and much nicer cracker than Tuc
                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

​​​​
                                                                            Yes that link worked fine. They were a lot clearer and more well thought out than most of the articles I've read about it.
                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

My attitude towards it completely changed in the last few years to this. The night in Tallaght confirmed it. The talk of I could play for Ireland at soccer in the car home. Also watched the grand National with my daughters and the amazement at being the first female jockey to win it.
                                                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

My attitude towards it completely changed in the last few years to this. The night in Tallaght confirmed it. The talk of I could play for Ireland at soccer in the car home. Also watched the grand National with my daughters and the amazement at being the first female jockey to win it.
                                                                                100%, hence my comment of probably needing to have daughters to understand properly.

Comment

Positive antigen for the 7 year old this morning. Had to leave work and come home to bunker down.

Happy Xmas.

Comment

Negs for everyone else. No public or private PCRs available in the whole country today.

Comment

not sure people get out much of the BBV these days but started a new xmas music king enrolment thread if anyone fancies it

music king enrolment
                                                                                      too late to play?
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

too late to play?
                                                                                        nope just check out round 1 thread for the theme. deadline is tomorrow lunchtime

Comment

Someone was looking for pannetone recently, Sorrento chipper in stoneybatter who already bakes some of the nicest sourdough and focaccia going is now making them fresh. Have only seen then in boxes in shops otherwise
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

nope just check out round 1 thread for the theme. deadline is tomorrow lunchtime
                                                                                            Don't have the time to jump in this time. Just too busy at work this week and away visiting family next week. Will try to listen and vote if that's happening though.

Would it work to put a spotify playlist together? They worked well in the past and made it a lot easier to listen although I realise that's extra work for you/someone.

Comment

Trying to ring AA insurance to report a tip I was involved with in the car last night. Every time I press the number for new claims it just goes "We're sorry your call can not be completed at this time. Please hang up and try again later" That seems unusual to me. I would have thought listening to horrible music while waiting would be what would happen.

Comment

Don't have the time to jump in this time. Just too busy at work this week and away visiting family next week. Will try to listen and vote if that's happening though.

Would it work to put a spotify playlist together? They worked well in the past and made it a lot easier to listen although I realise that's extra work for you/someone.
                                                                                                that's a shame. the more voters the better to be honest! will look into putting a playlist together, the songs received so far are awesome (no pressure everyone ), so this round will make a great playlist already!

Comment

Positive antigen for the 7 year old this morning. Had to leave work and come home to bunker down.

Happy Xmas.
                                                                                                  Called the HSE as I had a booster appointment for Mon. Told I need to do 3x PCR tests before I can show up.

Ballache.

Comment

Negs for everyone else. No public or private PCRs available in the whole country today.
                                                                                                    I had PCR @ Ballaly this morning. Think we may have got last two test slots.

Booster effect has worn off and don't have any symptoms, so really hoping for the neg to come in before say 9pm tomorrow. Will mean Christmas Eve sailing but sure nobody will care if we get there.

Comment

How do you feel about women commentators and analysts working on men's matches?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Called the HSE as I had a booster appointment for Mon. Told I need to do 3x PCR tests before I can show up.

Ballache.
                                                                                                        All on the back of an antigen test? Didn't think antigen positives were counted toward close contacts.

Anyway keep testing her.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

I dont get this as a complaint really.
                                                                                                          If the person is knowledgeable and engaging, I dontreally give a shit about their gender.
                                                                                                          When you think of some of the morons we listen to weekly commentating or reviewing matches.
                                                                                                          McManaman, Smith, Savage, Owen, Murphy, Sherwood, Keown.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                            When you think of some of the morons we listen to weekly commentating or reviewing matches.
                                                                                                            McManaman, Smith, Savage, Owen, Murphy, Sherwood, Keown.
                                                                                                            None of those come close to George Hook

I find the female commentators tend to be very well-prepared and knowledgeable. Horse racing for example, they have really perked up RTE's coverage.

Comment

Good question.

Similar questions that might arise from the response to this questions are:

What about women referees in senior men’s games?

And what about women coaches in senior men’s teams? A women coaching a PL side? Or Leinster or Munster?

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Don't have too much of a problem if they are knowledgeable and "not annoying." At the same time though, if i am watching a sport, i really want to see people commenting on it who played the same game - and at a high level. I can identify more with them IMO. No doubt though that there are also piss poor male pundits. Owen, Savage & McManaman for sure.

My problem is more with the tv companies who insist on having a female pundit on everything now just for the sake of it.

Comment

Don't get me started on the taking the knee malarkey btw

Comment

No problem with womens sport here either btw- but the non gendering of reports is just stupid
                                                                                                                    womens golf, tennis etc a good watch if it’s on even the soccer not bad (except for the goalies- insert gray/keys chortling)
                                                                                                                    some of the marketing lays it on thick eg the real fans GAA one

definelty against biological males in female sport though-

Comment

All on the back of an antigen test? Didn't think antigen positives were counted toward close contacts.

Anyway keep testing her.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...ting-1.4761184
                                                                                                                      Did sound iffy alright. Maybe he misunderstood me and thought I said PCR.

I'll try get appointments tonight when they open at midnight.

Didn't know that about positive antigens, giving me hope. Xmas day most likely gone either way.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                                        No problem with womens sport here either btw- but the non gendering of reports is just stupid
                                                                                                                        womens golf, tennis etc a good watch if it’s on even the soccer not bad (except for the goalies- insert gray/keys chortling)
                                                                                                                        some of the marketing lays it on thick eg the real fans GAA one

definelty against biological males in female sport though-
                                                                                                                        Yeah this. Women's athletics is superb sport.

The biological males issue was the whole reason for starting the convo. Some of the opinions expressed above about women's sport in general are a little neanderthal if I'm honest.

Comment

I see Sickpuppy is now appearing as Guest on his posts. Like Zuuts and a few others recently. Is that a closed account thing, or just a bug in the system.
                                                                                                                          Either way, be back soon dude, it was always interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X