Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
    Just rewatched that over the weekend, great film.

What step towards oblivion was taken today?
    Scheduling the Queens Speech for October 15th. Means a shutdown of parliament until then and reduces the chances of the opposition stopping anything happening Brexit-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
      One step closer to a Norsefire government in the UK, fun to watch.
      Had to Google that one.

This seems like the Enabling Act v2.0
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Scheduling the Queens Speech for October 15th. Means a shutdown of parliament until then and reduces the chances of the opposition stopping anything happening Brexit-wise.
        I guess on the other side of the coin, it means the anti No Deal MPs have a very clear deadline to pass legislation now.

And that they all need to stop hiding behind party loyalties or, in the case of Corbyn, refusing to take any kind of stand.

Time to stand up and be counted.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          I guess on the other side of the coin, it means the anti No Deal MPs have a very clear deadline to pass legislation now.

And that they all need to stop hiding behind party loyalties or, in the case of Corbyn, refusing to take any kind of stand.

Time to stand up and be counted.
          Or it puts some light at the end of the tunnel for Corbyn and he only needs to look busy for a few more weeks.

Comment

Any good recent graphic novel recommendations for someone who grew up on Maus, sandman, V for Vendetta etc.?
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Pity we weren't up against someone like Corbyn in 1921, probably would have given us the north sea.

Comment

One time for Liz to tell him to GTFO

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                  Pity we weren't up against someone like Corbyn in 1921, probably would have given us the north sea.
                  What you are saying? that you agree they need the credible threat of NoDeal to get Europe to <insert brexiteer cliche of the week> ?

Comment

Ah I didn't mean any comparison to the EU, I just means he's completely inept.

Comment

Have a request, where can one watch the entirety of this years all Ireland final again?

Expected it to be on rte player, but it is not. Struggling to find
                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

It’s over , Brexit is going to happen,if they somehow held another referendum tomorrow or next few months result would be the same, leaves margin of victory would prob increase.
                        It’s going to be nasty for us, and we are not ready

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          Any good recent graphic novel recommendations for someone who grew up on Maus, sandman, V for Vendetta etc.?
                          Transmetropolitan fits well in the current political clime
                          The Boys (recently an amazon prime series)
                          Y: The last man (again, think it's gonna be a film/tv show soon)
                          From Hell (another Moore effort, really dark and powerful stuff)

That's all top of my head but I'm not as recent as I'd like to be.
                          Honestly, injustice: gods among us can be aqquired from your friendly neighbourhood pirateship and is a huge ongoing saga of Superman sliding into tyranny after the death of Lois Lane.
                          It's fucking great.
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                            Have a request, where can one watch the entirety of this years all Ireland final again?

I'd day most pubs will have it on. Heard there will be a big screen in Smithfield too which should be a bit of craic

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                              I'd day most pubs will have it on. Heard there will be a big screen in Smithfield too which should be a bit of craic
                              I'd imagine he's talking about the Hurling. Unless he's a time traveller.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                It’s over , Brexit is going to happen,if they somehow held another referendum tomorrow or next few months result would be the same, leaves margin of victory would prob increase.
                                It’s going to be nasty for us, and we are not ready
                                I wonder what the result would be if the EU27 had a "should the UK leave the EU?" referendum.

I suspect a big Yes majority.

Their stock of influence, respect and soft power is at an all-time low. I fully recognise that Brexit is one of the dumbest things ever voted for but they now need to own the unicorn-free consequences.

Does that make me pro-Brexit?

Comment

Just looking out over the Docklands here, really is nearly finished.

Apart from A FUCKING METRO. Some change from even 10 years back though, and unrecognisable from 30.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post

No there's not - Which is a surprise there's still not a 'Netflix' type thingy.

Only analysts for the teams have access to a One Drive where footage of all matches is available. Dublin don't upload their footage to it, but the rest of the teams do.

Comment

I wonder what the result would be if the EU27 had a "should the UK leave the EU?" referendum.

I suspect a big Yes majority.

Their stock of influence, respect and soft power is at an all-time low. I fully recognise that Brexit is one of the dumbest things ever voted for but they now need to own the unicorn-free consequences.

Does that make me pro-Brexit?
                                      outrage exhaustion is something Trump has done very well. Similar tack here imo. Your sentiment if, ok fuck it, let them rot is growing in volume even from english commentators.
                                      I do wonder though if this is all part of the plan. Force the VONC, get an extension for the GE, win a majority, fuck off the DUP and BXP, put border in the Irish sea, brexit delivered.
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Anyone who thinks a yes vote would get in again hasn't been really paying attention imo. The old farts will be outvoted this time .

Need to somehow get a 2nd ref

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                          Anyone who thinks a yes vote would get in again hasn't been really paying attention imo. The old farts will be outvoted this time .

Need to somehow get a 2nd ref
                                          I'm about 70% sure if they word Stay had been used rather than Remain it would have won first time.
                                          Spent some time in leafy posh Tumbridge Wells last week.
                                          The level of political apathy and ignorance among otherwise well read folks was pretty jarring.

Comment

One time for Liz to tell him to GTFO
                                            You BBV'd 'er Maj

It's done.

Comment

You BBV'd 'er Maj

It's done.
                                              OK now we need to hold firm
                                              Only possible concession is to re constitute the backstop as the same thing but NI only and expires on the result of a referendum in 2024 that would ask if they want to stay in the backstop (for another 5 years maybe ) or leave with the inevitable border poll to follow.

Comment

OK now we need to hold firm
                                                Only possible concession is to re constitute the backstop as the same thing but NI only and expires on the result of a referendum in 2024 that would ask if they want to stay in the backstop (for another 5 years maybe ) or leave with the inevitable border poll to follow.
                                                Arlene won't accept anything that's NI only.
                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                  On the vaping death media hysteria.

It took them a few weeks to jump on this but fuck me you can see the money an scope the anti vape PR lobby have at their disposal and how desperate they are in reality to frame public perception to discredit vaping.

The cases are related to to street bought THC oil.

https://cei.org/blog/lung-disease-ou...ket-not-vaping
                                                  For the vapers here, did ye notice health benefits after switching over? I've been vaping for 4 months or so now from 12/day approx but I personally don't feel they're that much less harmful as I never experienced the transition you get when going cold turkey.

Comment

It's hard to feel something carcinogenic like alcohol, smoking, processed meat etc but with smoking you should at least notice it in your breathing and coughing right?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                      they won't give a fuck if they get a majority without the DUP

Comment

On the back os strewls graphic novel requests..
                                                        I've an idea for a new one

In 2020, the world Britain is in turmoil, with the United States Union fractured as a result of prolonged second civil war a No Deal Brexit and a pandemic of the "St. Mary's Virus" shortage of medicines, food and fuel. The United Kingdom is ruled as a fascist[7]police state by the Norsefire Conservative Party, under the all-powerful High Chancellor Prime Minister Adam Sutler. Boris Johnson
                                                        However, in the midst of all this chaos, one man known only by the name V Parliament dares to stand up to the government and is are labelled as a terrorist traitors.

Pity it’s such a stupid plot. People would never believe it. Oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                          they won't give a fuck if they get a majority without the DUP
                                                          If Johnson runs on a platform of the dup no longer having a voice I would nearly relocate and vote him in.

Comment

Any good recommendations for hotels in London, preferably somewhere in/around Brixton but can go further a field if it's a good spot?

Comment

Is Narcos Mexico any use?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                Arlene is out of moves, her contract with Tories is up for renewal and she is of little or no use to him anymore. In the very unlikely event that he is given and decides to push through a deal an offer like that he won't need DUP votes to get it through.

Cummings and Boris have no interest in anything except winning a majority asap.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                  Yep definitely

Comment

DUP getting shafted would be a lovely consolation price
                                                                    Loved this line about Arlene from marina Hyde in the guardian “Arlene Foster, who still has all the warmth of the matriarch of a remote farm who retains the passports of her labourers”

Comment

DUP getting shafted would be a lovely consolation price
                                                                      Loved this line about Arlene from marina Hyde in the guardian “Arlene Foster, who still has all the warmth of the matriarch of a remote farm who retains the passports of her labourers”
                                                                      I know it's un-pc to say it, but I find that Scottish/smiley/lesbian conservative leader more annoying.
                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                        I know it's un-pc to say it, but I find that Scottish/smiley/lesbian conservative leader more annoying.
                                                                        she's resigning in protest at this post

(she is actually resigning)

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                          Why?

Comment

The sight of Johnson being unable to keep a straight face as he bare faced lies about his motives for suspending Parliament is truly sickening.

Comment

Brother got sorted with a ticket today. Texts me a few hours later, will upper Hogan do? Anywhere at all, even in some corner somewhere. Well he said, upper Hogan will have to do and sends me a pic of the ticket.

Giddy now and can enjoy the week.

Comment

she's resigning in protest at this post

(she is actually resigning)
                                                                                Its most bizzare that she ever was a Tory.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                                                  For the vapers here, did ye notice health benefits after switching over? I've been vaping for 4 months or so now from 12/day approx but I personally don't feel they're that much less harmful as I never experienced the transition you get when going cold turkey.
                                                                                  My mother perfect example, smoking 40 a, day, smoking 40 odd years. Not once did she ever try to give up ever

Spitting blood into tissues, inhaler non stop

Early stages, of COPD

Doctor said next step tank on back job

I threw her cigs in fire very late at night when all shops were closed gave her my spare ecig menthol 18 mg told stfu within one hour she told me ill never smoke again

Vaping 4 yrs. Inhaler dropped after 2 weeks, cough gone more or less month later.

Now, walks prob 5 kms a, day, 2 trips to lanza a, year
                                                                                  . Absolutely amazing difference

Detests even the smell now.
                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

...
                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                      It’s ok. Which makes it a home run for something Netflix has produced. Man they fucking stink. Countdown to busto has to be on now
                                                                                      Last edited by Guest; 28-08-19, 23:05.

Comment

Poor Liz ,having to meet mogg today and all while this nasty business with prince Andy is getting aired. and more shit about Mountbatten too

Comment

Its most bizzare that she ever was a Tory.
                                                                                          Word is behind the public image she is just another scum Tory ....

Comment

Hitches latest controversial tweet is really a doozy. I'd love to think he's trolling.

Comment

Poor Liz ,having to meet mogg today and all while this nasty business with prince Andy is getting aired. and more shit about Mountbatten too
                                                                                              Or fuck her for covering for peados for years

Swings and roundabouts init

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                                                                Purely anecdotal. I smoked from a very early age, 40-60 a day when I was introduced to vaping.

I had never attempted to quit at any stage, but the ashtrays in the mornings were starting to bother me as was waking up during the night to smoke.

My youngest brother got me a kit in 2012. At the time I was still playing some online poker and basically eating cigarettes. Over a year I'd reach for the vape with increasing regularity, to the point where I stopped smoking completely the day after my 46th birthday.

Six year this week.

Health wise.

My local used be a 200 yard uphill walk and I went from gasping for breath when reaching the pub to breathing with ease over that time of weening.

I had a full medical 6 months after I stopped completely and my lung capacity was deemed normal. 18 months before I'd say i was heading for serious respiratory issues.

The other major health benefit was dental. I'd always brushed my teeth regular but was so embarrassed about them I'd stopped dental visits years before. My gums were destroyed from smoking.

At the time i started vaping it was a real issue, I had to visit a dentist and he was able to simply twist two wisdom teeth out without using any tools. It took 4 sessions with the hygienist to clean my teeth.

I've had some work done since (few crowns) but still have my teeth and gums are in good shape. I'd guess I was 6-12 months from losing the lot.

A younger relatively light smoker isn't going to have the benefits I have had from vaping and is probably better off trying to just quit.

If you can't then my opinion is vaping is the better alternative then going back smoking ciggs.

I'll never stop vaping but would have never quit cigarettes. I've said this before, fuck knows I could grow and extra head in 20 years as a result of vaping. The difference is I'd probably have been dead in twenty years without vaping.

More importantly if I do get another twenty the quality of life I'll have, opposed to what it would have been will be remarkably better.

I know this from the last 6 years. If I dropped dead in the morning, my brother getting me that initial kit has improved my quality of life in the past six years more than if I had won the lottery at that time.
                                                                                                Last edited by nicnicnic; 29-08-19, 03:03.

Comment

Transmetropolitan fits well in the current political clime
                                                                                                  The Boys (recently an amazon prime series)
                                                                                                  Y: The last man (again, think it's gonna be a film/tv show soon)
                                                                                                  From Hell (another Moore effort, really dark and powerful stuff)

That's all top of my head but I'm not as recent as I'd like to be.
                                                                                                  Honestly, injustice: gods among us can be aqquired from your friendly neighbourhood pirateship and is a huge ongoing saga of Superman sliding into tyranny after the death of Lois Lane.
                                                                                                  It's fucking great.
                                                                                                  Went in a bit less Mooreish direction with
                                                                                                  Sabrina and The Best We Could Do: An Illustrated Memoir Hopefully he'll enjoy them and won't have thrown them before I get a chance to read them

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                    I came across a beautiful version of Only You today that sounds kind of like a lullaby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKzWnjmiWYk
                                                                                                    Lovely song, you’ll probably enjoy this too so, I don’t know how to embed.

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                    Any good recommendations for hotels in London, preferably somewhere in/around Brixton but can go further a field if it's a good spot?
                                                                                                    I stay regularly at the Haymarket hotel and it’s really nice, with a rarely seen nice pool in London!

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                                                                    Purely anecdotal. I smoked from a very early age, 40-60 a day when I was introduced to vaping.

I had never attempted to quit at any stage, but the ashtrays in the mornings were starting to bother me as was waking up during the night to smoke.

My youngest brother got me a kit in 2012. At the time I was still playing some online poker and basically eating cigarettes. Over a year I'd reach for the vape with increasing regularity, to the point where I stopped smoking completely the day after my 46th birthday.

Six year this week.

Health wise.

My local used be a 200 yard uphill walk and I went from gasping for breath when reaching the pub to breathing with ease over that time of weening.

I had a full medical 6 months after I stopped completely and my lung capacity was deemed normal. 18 months before I'd say i was heading for serious respiratory issues.

The other major health benefit was dental. I'd always brushed my teeth regular but was so embarrassed about them I'd stopped dental visits years before. My gums were destroyed from smoking.

At the time i started vaping it was a real issue, I had to visit a dentist and he was able to simply twist two wisdom teeth out without using any tools. It took 4 sessions with the hygienist to clean my teeth.

I've had some work done since (few crowns) but still have my teeth and gums are in good shape. I'd guess I was 6-12 months from losing the lot.

A younger relatively light smoker isn't going to have the benefits I have had from vaping and is probably better off trying to just quit.

If you can't then my opinion is vaping is the better alternative then going back smoking ciggs.

I'll never stop vaping but would have never quit cigarettes. I've said this before, fuck knows I could grow and extra head in 20 years as a result of vaping. The difference is I'd probably have been dead in twenty years without vaping.

More importantly if I do get another twenty the quality of life I'll have, opposed to what it would have been will be remarkably better.

I know this from the last 6 years. If I dropped dead in the morning, my brother getting me that initial kit has improved my quality of life in the past six years more than if I had won the lottery at that time.
                                                                                                    This is a good point, if the question is whether vaping is bad or whether it’s significantly better than smoking then you get two answers. If you went to eating a Jaffa cake instead of smoking the risks of obesity is obviously higher, but there is no doubt you’d be much better off than before. It’s a question of relativity, my caveat being that vaping, if dangerous, should be labeled so such that people don’t start vaping thinking it’s harmless.

Comment

Sky News and Eddie Mair 28 June 2019IMPORTANT NOTICE: The restriction mentioned below is now in effect. (28 October 2018)PREVIOUS MESSAGES: In the next few w...

sadly, it means nothing.
                                                                                                      no one cares, nothing matters, what's on the telly?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjHZ-t2CPSI

sadly, it means nothing.
                                                                                                        It's all gloriously self-defeating though.

I did have a polite chat about this with a very nice British lady on holidays.

She expressed the (very common) opinion that voters had voted to leave and that the UK should just get on with it.
                                                                                                        I agreed.

I did wonder did those voters also vote to make themselves poorer and degrade the opportunities and quality of life for their children. I also wondered what percentage of those voting knew the difference between the EU Council and the Commission. She didn't.

She agreed the consequences are all negative. But also strongly believed they have to go through with it as it is 'the will of the people'.
                                                                                                        I agreed.

I suspect BoJo is fully aware of this too!

Comment

sadly, it means nothing.
                                                                                                          After the September intake, about 90% of students at university will be people who weren't entitled to vote in the referendum. There should by now be a huge movement fighting against what is being taken from them. And it would be a key movement as the tag 'remoaner' can't really be thrown at them.

I'm still saddened that there isn't even a hint of a good arson-spree or riot from the student population. Not even a sit-in.

Comment

After the September intake, about 90% of students at university will be people who weren't entitled to vote in the referendum. There should by now be a huge movement fighting against what is being taken from them. And it would be a key movement as the tag 'remoaner' can't really be thrown at them.

I'm still saddened that there isn't even a hint of a good arson-spree or riot from the student population. Not even a sit-in.
                                                                                                            The anti-Trump stuff fizzled out pretty quick too.

Comment

Arlene is out of moves, her contract with Tories is up for renewal and she is of little or no use to him anymore. In the very unlikely event that he is given and decides to push through a deal an offer like that he won't need DUP votes to get it through.

Cummings and Boris have no interest in anything except winning a majority asap.
                                                                                                              Isn't this is the exact same gamble May took that backfired horribly and she was lambasted for? Except there's no time left, and there's now a risk of PM Farage.
                                                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

My vaping story is almost identical to nicnicnic's. After 23 years of cigarettes (I only started on them when I was 21), and having gotten up to 40 a day for the last few years, I had my last ones in 2014. Many thanks to Satnav for recommending some devices at the time.
                                                                                                                After 5 years of vaping decided to try giving them up. Off them for 3 months now and pretty sure I'm done with it. Have to say it's properly addictive stuff, the only thing I've ever had similar withdrawal symptoms from was methamphetamine. Alcohol is child's play in comparison.
                                                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Any standouts in the O'Brien wine sale?

Comment

If you are outraged all the time, you find it very hard to get outraged at a proper issue.
                                                                                                                    See
                                                                                                                    Rainforest - Amazon
                                                                                                                    Papers - Panama
                                                                                                                    Embezzlement - Red Cross in Haiti
                                                                                                                    Privacy invasion - FB
                                                                                                                    War Crimes - Saudi/ Yemen
                                                                                                                    Annexing - Hong Kong
                                                                                                                    etc etc etc etc

And thats without touching Trump/Brexit/Duterte/Putin.

The average western person is cowed into subservience without even knowing it.
                                                                                                                    I include myself in this. I was talking to a friend about hong kong protests if such a thing might happen in the UK.
                                                                                                                    The thoughts of mass civil disobedience is something I think most, including me, would be hesitant to do if it interfered with work / college etc.
                                                                                                                    A nice march is planned on Saturday. It won't work. But we are all afraid to lose 'whats mine'

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                      Any standouts in the O'Brien wine sale?
                                                                                                                      No, except to make me chuckle as I survey my superior vino procured at 40% of what O'B are charging for worse!

I'd say with the way GBP is going, a spin up to JW Nicholson is by far the best option than the bs 'sales' that go on down here.

Comment

A few in here might know John Hanaphy - one of the good guys.

On the feature table in EPT Barcelona with 150 left from 2k runners...

POKERSTARS EPT PRESENTED BY MONTE-CARLO CASINO: €1K FPS MAIN EVENT – FINAL TABLE | [18+]

Comment

If you are outraged all the time, you find it very hard to get outraged at a proper issue.
                                                                                                                          See
                                                                                                                          BBC Radio 4 Today 8AM News Headlines are worth listening to

Bong
                                                                                                                          Government suspends democracy but Tories say theres nothing to see here , shure be grand
                                                                                                                          Bong
                                                                                                                          Pritti Patel says I'm going to stop immigrants coming from Callais, new brexit rules dontcha know
                                                                                                                          Bong
                                                                                                                          Black kids can buy knives shock horror
                                                                                                                          Bong
                                                                                                                          Have you been missold PPI
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Strewelpeter; 29-08-19, 12:06.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X