Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
      Good old ruckus in the U.K. over MP David Lammy calling out some reporter for her White savior comic relief trip to Africa
      He’s dead right too, how are people still doing this? Sindo are always at it , every other week they fill a few places in their glossy rag with some Irish z lister or influencer playing mother Theresa and using the locals as props
      When I was in Uganda I was passing a local opening ceremony for the opening of a library in a village. All the local schoolchildren were out performing, but the whole thing was presided over by an old freckled white British woman giving a speech about how great it was to be able to help. I've no idea of the background, and it may be completely unfounded, but immediate feeling was one of nausea.

(must get around to writing that TR)

Comment

Anywhere in Dublin do decent hotdogs? Or am I better off going to my butcher and DIY. Hot a savage Chilli Hot Dog in Vegas and have a bit of a craving on me today for one

Comment

Anyone sign up to those masterclasses? Almost seems worth it to listen to someone talk about their craft.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
            Anywhere in Dublin do decent hotdogs? Or am I better off going to my butcher and DIY. Hot a savage Chilli Hot Dog in Vegas and have a bit of a craving on me today for one
            Token Smithfield not bad.

Not a hot dog man. Is anyone? But l ordered on the back of seeing a few come out on plates and was not disappointed.

Cool bar for something different for an hour if you haven't been.
            Bacon Jam fries are a meal in itself

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
              Anyone sign up to those masterclasses? Almost seems worth it to listen to someone talk about their craft.
              What's this?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                What's this?

Various celebrities giving classes on their area.

Gladwell/Steph Curry/Negranau/Sorkin/Kasparov/Samuel Jackson/chris Hadfield

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  They're possibly the only previously failed candidates in last ten cycles who subsequently got a major party nomination. Meaning failed past candidates have a phenomenal 100% track record of being elected when made a major party nominee. As opposed to candidates who didn't previously fail who have a much more miserable election chance. 17 of last ten major party nominees hadn't previously failed, and 7 got elected = 41% success rate.
                  Americand don't dig failures, they want someone fresh and exciting.

Like, er, Trump. Or Obama.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

€1,050 in the Cheltenham Tipping Comp pot already.

That would nearly buy you a share in one of GAB's syndicates. Enter now and live the dream of racehorse ownership. Warning: may involve mud.

Comment

Comment

They're actually one of the few countries that do appreciate learning from failure. E.g. the view that a failed startup makes you more likely to be successful the next time. In most countries, Ireland for example, failing in business is viewed as a permanent flaw (Regina Doherty being an example), but Americans like people who pick themselves up after and try again.

Plus there's literally no support for your idea. You haven't pointed to a single person who was a previously failed candidate, and who subsequently became a major party nominee, and wasn't then successful at being elected president. Like not a single one. They seem to have a 100% success rate if they get into this position. It would therefore be unusual if Biden got the nomination if he wasn't successful. Unless you are holding back a fascinating case study from the 1800s to prove your point.
                        Oh, Bob Dole.

And Bush One. To be both a Fail and a Pass.

And McCain.

Didn't think I would have to. list them out for you tbh...falls under the heading of stuff everyone knows.

Comment

Comment

Even if we accept Bush One, which makes literally no sense, failed past candidates still have a higher success rate than non-failed past candidates, once they get the nomination.
                            Or they fail again.

Or...they give up and accept their role as losers. Some need to learn the hard way - like Hilary.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                              Ok then. Nixon lost in 60 or 62 whenever it was and then got the gig a few years later.
                              Reagan ran twice unsuccessfully too

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                Token Smithfield not bad.

Not a hot dog man. Is anyone? But l ordered on the back of seeing a few come out on plates and was not disappointed.

Cool bar for something different for an hour if you haven't been.
                                Bacon Jam fries are a meal in itself
                                Nah have never had one before 2 weeks ago but was something I wanted to try in America since you see it on TV all the time. Probably silly but meh. Just seems like something handy for lunch if I'm delivering around Dublin some days

Comment

Anyone on here have a Fitbit?

Ever have any problems getting it to sync?

It's saying it hasn't synced in 8 days. Today's steps show up but nothing for the rest of the week. I've tried turning on/off Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, the phone, etc and still nothing

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                    Was it not Kennedy who beat Nixon?

My guess is some president who owned slaves
                                    Herbert Hoover.

We don't have enough Herberts anymore. Probably why things have gone to shite.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                      Anyone take or recommend a good electrolyte drink or powder(non sugar)? Being doing intermittent fasting and keto for about three weeks now and its phenomenal but defintely need some sort of salt supplement.
                                      Zero tabs are really good. No1 choice amongst runners. Elvery's if you want B&M.
                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Cheers Denny. Have only dipped in so far, but love this line from the editor's intro re nationalism..

When it comes to group belonging,
                                        humans don’t seem too far from chimpanzees: people are comfortable with
                                        the familiar and bristle at the unfamiliar.
                                        Taming our aggressive tendencies requires swimming upstream

Comment

For some reason there is an article in the uk sunday times about the company I work for detailing all our revenue and profit etc, do they just profile random companies? It mentions that my four bosses shared over 2 million in wages, didn't realise that info was public?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                            For some reason there is an article in the uk sunday times about the company I work for detailing all our revenue and profit etc, do they just profile random companies? It mentions that my four bosses shared over 2 million in wages, didn't realise that info was public?
                                            Depends whether they changed the status from unlimited company or something like that. I know my place had to publish their pre tax profits and director payments last year, first time since 2006.

SPOILER
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

It's a good point Denny. How exactly do you sell cars without a showroom? It doesn't make any sense.

Do you need a showroom to buy a Tv , washing machine,bed ? They can all be bought online without trying them.

Savings are passed on to the customer.

I know people were buying the new electric Kona online in the Uk, very few showrooms. Seems to be the way its going.

Reviews. Its an electric car thats really cool. Nuff said.
                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

It's a good point Denny. How exactly do you sell cars without a showroom? It doesn't make any sense.

The automotive industry is gradually moving toward direct to consumer online retail.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                          Depends whether they changed the status from unlimited company or something like that. I know my place had to publish their pre tax profits and director payments last year, first time since 2006.

SPOILER
                                                          Must be something similar as to disclosing, don't know. Your company made over 25 times profit that mine did and the directors got paid the same amount at each company, 9 million profit vs 510 million, bonkers. Last year profit here was 2m. Then again can only imagine the fudging of the figures since we are all R&D. That said, our revenue is just a small fraction of your profit.
                                                          I'd imagine with the Sunday Times there's always a reason why something is published. In this case its probably the owners trying to sell so they've leaked this selectively to a journalist. 99.999999% of random articles about a specific company in newspapers are due to that company going 'here's an story'. Nobody randomly came across your company.
                                                          Did a bit more googling and see the exact same story two years ago with the figures from then, really strange. They're definitely not selling, it's their lifes work, they worked for the company for decades and then bought it.
                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 02-03-19, 02:27.

Comment

They're definitely not selling, it's their lifes work, they worked for the company for decades and then bought it.
                                                            It may be their life's work. But I'm sure at some point they'll want to stop working and enjoy their life.

Comment

Just looking at this list of most popular Irish baby names. Clearly due to having read every single other thing on the internet.

Wonder the extent to which what you name your kid determines how you raise them. Saw Luke there, which is what we were going to name our kid. But that would surely have been awful choice. I'd imagine a kid named Luke would be raised in the style of a future presbyterian minister. Or if you named the kid Charlie - it would be a month before you pounce on his one or two giggles to rename him Cheeky Charlie, and for ever after the focus would be all on his fun side.

As it is we went with Max, and alternate being treating him as a puppy or a future all-American MBA who knows how to take a business problem and synthesise a solution.

The name must partially determine how a kid is parented.

Like surely no girl named Gertrude has not been raised to be a steroid enhanced shot-putter.

Food for thought people, food for thought.

I was Brian for the first 2 weeks of my life, then my parents decided it didn't fit.

I genuinely reckon I'd be a different person if they'd kept with that name.
                                                              Last edited by Emmet; 02-03-19, 08:13.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                                The automotive industry is gradually moving toward direct to consumer online retail.
                                                                It's not exactly representative of this shift but I was surprised when my boss told me he went into a car dealer recently with 18k cash along with his own car for trade in and the salesman told him he didn't want the cash.

He told him to come back after he lodged it into his account.
                                                                I know there is additional fees when lodging cash but car dealerships were historically known for the "Cash is King" mantra.

A new car is the 2nd largest purchase of most people's life so the idea that it shifts to online retail still seems relatively far away.
                                                                Last edited by Guest; 02-03-19, 08:08.

Comment

I'd buy a Tesla online right now. Without even looking at it.

If I could.

Comment

History just been made with the sun wolves winning their first away game in the super 14.(their record is now 1 win for 25 away games) Phenomenal performance as they just trounced the chiefs 30 to 15.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_determinism

I was Brian for the first 2 weeks of my life, then my parents decided it didn't fit.

I genuinely reckon I'd be a different person if they'd kept with that name.
                                                                      The plan was to call me Killian but I was born on St David's day so the Church won that.

Comment

My mother couldn't make her mind up Michelle or Dawn..

She ended up calling me Michelle with Dawn my middle name

I ended up a bit of a comedy act either way
                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                          I'd buy a Tesla online right now. Without even looking at it.

If I could.
                                                                          It's tough enough to get spare parts now for one, going to be impossible in a year or two.

Comment

Must be the only "growth" company to fire all its sales staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                              The Tucker Carlson video is hilarious

I actually think Carlson won that? He was more receptive than I’d have thought the other guy just sounded like his plan to “tell truth to power” was overcome by a responsive interviewer so he just start spouting anyway.

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                              40 in April meself. Mrs is taking me to a mystery location in 3 weeks because that's the only time should could get a booking. All I know is it's not in Irl or the UK. Told her she wouldn't be able to top the trip I organised for her 30th (Heli into Monaco - staying in Hermitage - eating in Robuchon) and she said don't be so sure. Quite intrigued.
                                                                              To do that at 30 is unreal, would love to go to Hermitage, anywhere you’d recommend...?

Comment

I'm surprised by the CSO data for my name. Find it rare to meet someone with the same name (the other person usually comments on it too) but it was one of the most popular names that year, and for the years around it, it's completely fallen off the charts since but that doesn't affect my cohort.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                  It may be their life's work. But I'm sure at some point they'll want to stop working and enjoy their life.
                                                                                  I guess it depends on the person, and what constitutes enjoying their life. A few of the people here have hundreds of millions, never had to start working in the first place. If I had won the euro millions id still be working here tbh. The last few weeks I was on my own making a new product for the NYPD, busiest I've ever been, it was ridiculously gratifying working on it and getting it made. It's made me much happier. I will probably see my work over all of NY when I visit. Some people will always work, some people want to be on a yacht.

A good while back now but my godfather shot himself in his police station after he retired as a detective, went in, had a cup of tea with the lads and did it. His whole life helping and saving people, I guess he felt there was nothing left after work was done, maybe that work also took a toll. He had a family he loved, well off etc and was hugely active in the community. The quiet life did not suit.
                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 02-03-19, 10:49.

Comment

...

Comment

in light of name change for the purposes of anonymity
                                                                                      Funny you should say that

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                      Thanks for making the change, afraid I'll end up having a Hitch like night, post about it and it's found later..

Comment

For some reason there is an article in the uk sunday times about the company I work for detailing all our revenue and profit etc
                                                                                        Link or GTFO
                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Never occurred to me before now that my siblings got family names and mine has no connection to anything except a saint that my mother and her family were keen on praying to for help in recovering lost objects
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I was really close to being called Jerome.

Would've gotten my head kicked in growing up in Tallaght.

Comment

I guess it depends on the person, and what constitutes enjoying their life. A few of the people here have hundreds of millions, never had to start working in the first place. If I had won the euro millions id still be working here tbh. The last few weeks I was on my own making a new product for the NYPD, busiest I've ever been, it was ridiculously gratifying working on it and getting it made. It's made me much happier. I will probably see my work over all of NY when I visit. Some people will always work, some people want to be on a yacht.

A good while back now but my godfather shot himself in his police station after he retired as a detective, went in, had a cup of tea with the lads and did it. His whole life helping and saving people, I guess he felt there was nothing left after work was done, maybe that work also took a toll. He had a family he loved, well off etc and was hugely active in the community. The quiet life did not suit.
                                                                                              What do you work at again roughly?

Comment

You'll like this Tar.

Irish guy one of the fastest vegans in the world

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                  What do you work at again roughly?
                                                                                                  Secure telecommunications in the defense and aerospace industry loosely. Everything from putting WiFi on trains, to making portable mobile networks for natural disasters/military/government/police/intelligence agencies operations, satellites, communications briefcases you see handcuffed to presidents assistants, ruggedised comms, that kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                    There's a mostly vegan nfl team, a vegan british football team, Lewis Hamilton, nba players, the Williams sisters, this guy, Germanys strongest man etc, it all makes it easy to know who to support arbitrarily

Comment

It's a pity Tesla numbers dont add up, the cars themselves are an experience.
                                                                                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

There's a mostly vegan nfl team, a vegan british football team, Lewis Hamilton, nba players, the Williams sisters, this guy, Germanys strongest man etc, it all makes it easy to know who to support arbitrarily
                                                                                                        There's a vegan runners club too. One of them runs my local parkrun and he's one of the fastest there.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                          was watching survivor australia last week. they do it for 50 days!! last season was pretty good, although gameplay was nowhere near as interesting as s36.
                                                                                                          How many episodes do they do over the course of the show seeing as it's pushed to 50 days?

Was that the season with Jackie Glazer? Zigmund was the Finnish version last year not sure how he got on.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                          If Biden is the candidate, Trump would beat him imo.

He would be nearly as bad a pick as Hilary. The only candidates who could be even worse are Warren and Sanders.
                                                                                                          What about Warren don't you like? Anytime I've seen her pop up in a documentary she always came across very well.
                                                                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

...

Comment

Absolute scenes in the LolSpurs v Arsenal game.

Comment

I'd like to get my blood tested for Cholesterol and possible deficiencies. My doctor did it last year but it was pretty unprofessional. Is there somewhere good to do it in Dublin

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                  I'd like to get my blood tested for Cholesterol and possible deficiencies. My doctor did it last year but it was pretty unprofessional. Is there somewhere good to do it in Dublin
                                                                                                                  I got a full health screening last year with VHI on Harcourt St, not sure if they take non-member patients but very comprehensive. Approx 500e though

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                    DIY? https://thriva.co/

Comment

Quick question for the BBV collective, got a new TV until and the cable for the Horizon box isn't long enough to reach the back of it, can a cable be sourced or is it a specific one needed from Virgin Media?
                                                                                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                                        Quick question for the BBV collective, got a new TV until and the cable for the Horizon box isn't long enough to reach the back of it, can a cable be sourced or is it a specific one needed from Virgin Media?
                                                                                                                        Which cable danny? The HDMI?

Comment

When you drive out of the airport, turn right, right and right again. Drive back into the airport and get on a plane to Spain.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X