Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celtic game is much better for the neutrals, but Arsenal carrying on their form from the Chelsea game into this one. Everyone pulling their weight and having a good (Sanchez standing out) and probably should be 8-0 up!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
      25/1
      Too slow old man.

In the unlikely event this comes in, decent chance it goes down as a palp anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
        Every dog has it's day, just is it's day an "enhanced" 75/1 shot
        Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
        Too slow old man.

In the unlikely event this comes in, decent chance it goes down as a palp anyway.
        Maflu-ed up to the gills (wait, single, so must be real flu) as soon as I posted above I though, wait 75/1 is big

Moar flu drugs

As an aside, watching Fargo series today in de sick bed, seriously good!

Comment

Simeone has got to be one of the GOAT motivator, no manager gets the sheer effort levels that he consistently gets from Atleti.

That or they're juicing better than any other team.
          Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
            Simeone has got to be one of the GOAT motivator, no manager gets the sheer effort levels that he consistently gets from Atleti.

probably both!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                Calling yourself Candyfloss would seem to limit your career paths towards the disrobing profession
                We have 50+ offices and a few of them are out there

We have Elvis, Rainbow, Fanny, Princess, Cherry and my personal favourite Sucky Yui

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post

Simone is the new age Mourinho.

Jose refuses to change and will manage an international side next, Simone is already doing great things.

Comment

Lol, knew this edit was coming

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                      Was gona post this earlier but people here don't care. The greatest part is Karolina loving it and kicking under the table.

Comment

Celtic 3 Man City 3

Who'd have a harsh word to say about that eh?

Comment

View of opera house in person seems a bit of a let down. The photos of it are much better than the real thing.

Bondi beach on the other hand...
                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                              View of opera house in person seems a bit of a let down. The photos of it are much better than the real thing.

Bondi beach on the other hand...
                              The opera house looks weird from the rear (ie from land).
                              Get out on the water and it's much more picturesque.
                              Catching the ferry to Manley is a good easy way to do that.

Did you like bondi? It's nice enough down the north end to have a few beers looking over the beach. But to actually "go to the beach", the others nearby are better imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                The opera house looks weird from the rear aie from land).
                                Get out on the water and it's much more picturesque.
                                Catching the ferry to Manley is a good easy way to do that.

Did you like bondi? It's nice enough down the north end to have a few beers looking over the beach. But to actually "go to the beach", the others nearby are better imo.
                                Took it in for an hour yesterday as part of my drive around sydney. Was just driving around the different suburbs trying to get a feel for the area. Early days, but it seems a lot more relaxed than LA.
                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Waking up two hours earlier than I need to lately, is this a feature if old age?
                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                                    Waking up two hours earlier than I need to lately, is this a feature if old age?
                                    Id still sleep later if I didn’t have this pesky work stuff, which hasn't changed with age. I'm not as able to stay up late as I used to though, so that may be age related I guess.

Comment

Trump: "Google are conspiracy cunts!"

Me: "Trump Trump Trump!!!"

Denny, where did you get that hat?

Comment

Do you have a piss as soon as you get up?

If so, yes!
                                        If no, er um no/maybe!?

Comment

Fuck Man City so very much.
                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

If so, yes!
                                            If no, er um no/maybe!?
                                            You can get through the night ? ?

Kids these days...
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

If so, yes!
                                              If no, er um no/maybe!?
                                              I used to be like that, I woke maybe about 6am and needed a pee then back to bed and when I woke my bladder would be bursting again. Then I moved to Malta!

I drink so much more fluid than I ever did. I bought about 20 boxes of decaf teabags and not even finished 1 in 3 months, I drink diet drinks (Yes I know not good) and dilute drinks with either sparkling water or bottled water.

Since then I go before bed, maybe need again 15 minutes later and when I wake I can lay for an hour without having to jump up. I no longer wake during the night to go.

I used to avoid drinking too much in an evening, now I happily drink away and have no problems. I used to blame my age coupled with my kidney problems but now I think it was the lack of enough fluid the whole time causing both.

No kidney trouble since we moved. Been great.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                Got the ufc tickets in the end - cheers CHD and Jibzzz for ye're help!

Meanwhile, a reasonable holiday planned...

SPOILER
                                                IPB needs an "I-Jealous" button.
                                                In meantime, clicked thanks to indicate same.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                  Id still sleep later if I didn’t have this pesky work stuff, which hasn't changed with age. I'm not as able to stay up late as I used to though, so that may be age related I guess.
                                                  Still have no bother rolling into bed at 4am and getting back up at 7am a few times a week. Occasionally get a 2pm slump but body clock still just does it's own thing and leaves me be!

Comment

Improvement in diet can have similar effect, i.e. seem to need less sleep with less carb/sugar type combos to digest overnight.
                                                    Alt: Extra/new exercise, ditto.
                                                    Alt: Maybe your subconcious's way of reminding you to get more stuff done during day.
                                                    Alt: Maybe just an age thing.

Comment

Nice article on trumps website re Clinton and Denis o brown, they put that Haitian earthquake to good use for themselves
                                                      Certified Website of Donald J. Trump For President 2024. America's comeback starts right now. Join our movement to Make America Great Again!

FOLLOW THE MONEY: DENIS O’BRIEN – ANOTHER CORRUPT CLINTON FRIEND

DENIS O’BRIEN IS A BILLIONAIRE “CELL PHONE TYCOON” WITH CLOSE TIES TO THE CLINTONS AND ALSO ONE OF THE “MOST REVILED FIGURES” IN IRELAND

I think the quotation marks around most reviled figures are a bit unnecessary myself

Comment

...Danny Willet's brother is a bit of a twat for that article...I'd say Danny will get a huge amount of shite this weekend...Looking forward to the opening ceremony and morning pairings tonight, I'd reckon it'll be Pieters and Sullivan along with the 6 experienced players... I think Willet would have been selected tomorrow morning if it wasn't for the article...
                                                        ...HYPE!!!...

Comment

...Narcos Season 2!!!...
                                                          SPOILER
                                                          ...Really was a great ending, I'm glad they didn't drag him out for another season- I think they got to the end of it at the perfect time...Just one question, how interested will people be in Season 3/4, as apparently this has been confirmed and trailers shown?... Will be interesting to see if they can make it dramatic without Pablo, it would almost be akin to having a season of Breaking Bad after Walter White gets killed..

Comment

Birthday in a couple of weeks and had to give myself a good slap when I started wondering who I could ask to get me a good fleece.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                              ...Danny Willet's brother is a bit of a twat for that article...I'd say Danny will get a huge amount of shite this weekend...Looking forward to the opening ceremony and morning pairings tonight, I'd reckon it'll be Pieters and Sullivan along with the 6 experienced players... I think Willet would have been selected tomorrow morning if it wasn't for the article...
                                                              ...HYPE!!!...
                                                              So far behind on this years Ryder Cup. What time are we on tomorrow. Hopefully get a decent stream or I'm off to yours.

Yes, yes, I'm a 40yo with a house, company, wife and two kids but i'm not allowed have Sky Sports. Yada yada, pussy...

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                Still have no bother rolling into bed at 4am and getting back up at 7am a few times a week. Occasionally get a 2pm slump but body clock still just does it's own thing and leaves me be!
                                                                While this is ok now, surely that kind of routine will come back and bite you in the ass health wise sometime in the future?

Comment

Total first world problems here but is there an app / calendar that can sync two people's schedules onto a phone

I use the S Planner on my Samsung and she uses the one on her iPhone

Ideally, the app would be able to read two of them and sync them so we would have to put stuff into two places?

Such a thing exist? anybody use anything like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                    Total first world problems here but is there an app / calendar that can sync two people's schedules onto a phone

Ideally, the app would be able to read two of them and sync them so we would have to put stuff into two places?

A shared email address maybe ?
                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

If you both use Google Calendar you can view each others events in your own and share events etc?

Comment

While we are on it, is there any app or website that is good for storing photos? Have a load of photos going back a few years and want to sort them into categories and put store them safely online

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                          So far behind on this years Ryder Cup. What time are we on tomorrow. Hopefully get a decent stream or I'm off to yours.

Yes, yes, I'm a 40yo with a house, company, wife and two kids but i'm not allowed have Sky Sports. Yada yada, pussy...
                                                                          ...I'm a 29yr old living at home with Mammy and out sick for the week (and fuck off no i'm not sending pics of her!!!)...
                                                                          ...Opening ceremony and naming tomorrow morning is on tonight about 22:40, it's actually on Sky Sports mix (where setanta Ireland used to be so you may have this)... Tomorrow coverage starts at 12:30 and first Tee off is 13:35 i'm pretty sure... Let me know if you don't get a decent stream, i'll stick the Bulmers in the fridge ...

Comment

While this is ok now, surely that kind of routine will come back and bite you in the ass health wise sometime in the future?
                                                                            I nag him about it

I am often in bed about 10.00pm or earlier, I read for a bit then off to sleep. I don't know how he does it, if I am still up at midnight and get up at 8.00 I feel washed out!

Comment

Google calendar does all this.

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                              While we are on it, is there any app or website that is good for storing photos? Have a load of photos going back a few years and want to sort them into categories and put store them safely online

Cheers
                                                                              Google photos

Their photo storage is amazing now. You can upload all the old smaller sizes to free storage share them with whoever you want and the search function is unreal names abstract terms places etc.
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                You have sleep debt. When you sleep less than you should (varies person to person but is longer than you think) cognitive impairment accumulates day by day, almost linearly. If you sleep 6 hours a night for 2 weeks you have the same cognitive disability you would have if you were awake for 24 hours straight, and it gets worse. if you had had 4 hours sleep it's like you have been away for 3 days straight. You can't think as well, react as well and you don't even know it. People become less and less aware of their level of objective impairment as they are increasingly sleep restricted.

The surprising thing is that people think you can sleep loads at once - say the weekend - to catch up on the debt, but it doesn't work that way. If you sleep too much it's actually bad, You can only catch up like half an hour per day. Say you sleep 6 hours and the body needs eight, it takes days of 8 hour sleep in a row to regain your cognitive ability.

There is no sign in the leveling off in the impairment even, they were not morally allowed to keep testing people as they were getting so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                  they were not morally allowed to keep testing people as they were getting so bad.
                                                                                  This is sort of thing where it would have great if the likes of Mengele had been allowed finish his experiments.

Comment

From firsthand and secondhand accounts I'm highly sceptical of that Tar. Was that just from one experiment?

Comment

That's insane. I haven't had a steady dose of 8 hours of sleep in over a decade and its hasn't made a huge noticeable impression in my underpant wellingtons
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

possibly about to ask one of the dumbest questions ever, have lost my passport but i have a pic of it on my comp, if i print it out will ryanair accept it if im just travelling back to dublin ?

edit: if they dont what other options do i have ?

Comment

Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
                                                                                          possibly about to ask one of the dumbest questions ever, have lost my passport but i have a pic of it on my comp, if i print it out will ryanair accept it if im just travelling back to dublin ?

Doubtful.

emergency passport is your main hope
                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Still paying back sleep from the late 80's.

Comment

Absolutely not.

Sailnrail if you have a drivers' licence? {you might even get away with not having it}

Long, grim journey, but you'd be home.
                                                                                              Last edited by Emmet; 29-09-16, 15:21.

Comment

You have sleep debt. When you sleep less than you should (varies person to person but is longer than you think) cognitive impairment accumulates day by day, almost linearly. If you sleep 6 hours a night for 2 weeks you have the same cognitive disability you would have if you were awake for 24 hours straight, and it gets worse. if you had had 4 hours sleep it's like you have been away for 3 days straight. You can't think as well, react as well and you don't even know it. People become less and less aware of their level of objective impairment as they are increasingly sleep restricted.

The surprising thing is that people think you can sleep loads at once - say the weekend - to catch up on the debt, but it doesn't work that way. If you sleep too much it's actually bad, You can only catch up like half an hour per day. Say you sleep 6 hours and the body needs eight, it takes days of 8 hour sleep in a row to regain your cognitive ability.

There is no sign in the leveling off in the impairment even, they were not morally allowed to keep testing people as they were getting so bad.
                                                                                                Is that a piece from a film? Sounds vaguely familiar.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                  Is that a piece from a film? Sounds vaguely familiar.
                                                                                                  ...Was about to quote something I like this...Someone, possibly Tar, said the exact same thing almost word for word a few months ago...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                    Doubtful.

emergency passport is your main hope
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                    Absolutely not.

Sailnrail if you have a drivers' licence? {you might even get away with not having it}

Long, grim journey, but you'd be home.
                                                                                                    yeah i thought this would be the answer, how do i go about getting an emergency one ? how long would it take ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Sky sports is on offer for existing customers at the min. 20 quid a month. Ring them up just take it for the month.
                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Did you know there is such a thing as sleep debt? When you sleep less than you should cognitive impairment accumulates day by day, almost linearly. If you sleep 6 hours a night for 2 weeks you have the same cognitive disability you would have if you were awake for 24 hours straight, and it gets worse. if you had had 4 hours sleep it's like you have been away for 3 days straight. You can't think as well, react as well and you don't even know it. People become less and less aware of their level of objective impairment as they are increasingly sleep restricted.

...That's the one, would have been 6 months tomorrow has you waited a few hours :-)...

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                          Sky sports is on offer for existing customers at the min. 20 quid a month. Ring them up just take it for the month.
                                                                                                          I'm on Virgin Media

PS - I'm not allowed have SS anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                            ...http://www.skysports.com/nowtv?DCMP=...roundSS...This too is a great offer if you just want the Golf, no contract or anything...

Comment

SatNav

Just got the mail that my Sky is being upped in December and i have 30 days from today to get out.
                                                                                                              Can i use this as leverage next week when re upping for another year?

Have had the friends and fam deal for a year and the price has doubled this month. Sick stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice
                                                                                                                PS - I'm not allowed have SS anyway!
                                                                                                                Ground for divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                  From firsthand and secondhand accounts I'm highly sceptical of that Tar. Was that just from one experiment?
                                                                                                                  I think it's an accepted thing, but there is debate over the severity? Anyway here is one of the times a neuroscientist described it on reddit with links to several papers (hyperlinked in his post):
                                                                                                                  I imagine there's way more to be learned about it. I remember sleeping well for weeks after having sleep debt and the difference was huge, however while under the effects of sleep debt I just thought I was feeling normal and didn't notice impairment.

The answer to the question depends on the timescale. The human response to sleep restriction is different, depending whether it is acute or chronic.
                                                                                                                  In the early days of sleep research, most experiments involving sleep restriction were total sleep deprivations, meaning participants in the study were allowed no sleep at all for some period of time, usually 1-3 nights (although a few crazy studies did go over 200 hours).
                                                                                                                  In these types of experiments, it was discovered that recovery tends to occur quite rapidly. To explain this, I need to refer to a model of human sleep regulation called the two-process model. In the two process model, it is assumed that human sleep is primarily regulated by two physiological processes: a circadian process and a sleep homeostatic process. The circadian process is the approximately 24-hour biological rhythm in sleepiness/alertness. The sleep homeostatic process is the process that promotes sleep more the longer that you have been awake.
                                                                                                                  Sleep homeostatic pressure builds up during time spent awake and dissipates during time spent asleep. Although we don't yet know precisely what causes the sleep homeostatic process (it may be the build up of sleep-promoting substances in the brain, including adenosine), it turns out that there is a good physiological marker for the sleep homeostatic process.

Normally, during a night of sleep, people cycle semi-regularly between states of NREM sleep and REM sleep. If you record somebody's brain electrical activity using EEG, you find that during NREM sleep, there is a high level of delta waves. These show up as big waves cycling about once per second in the EEG recordings. Across the night, the amount of delta waves in NREM sleep decreases approximately exponentially. Moreover, if you deprive someone of sleep and then let them get recovery sleep, their delta waves still decline exponentially across the night, but the initial level of delta waves at the beginning of the night is significantly higher.
                                                                                                                  It turns out that the two-process model can do a very good job of explaining the changes in delta waves across the night and in response to total sleep deprivation if you assume that the homeostatic sleep pressure builds up exponentially with a time constant of ~20 hours during wakefulness, and decays exponentially with a time constant of ~3 hours during sleep.

This has two important implications. First, the homeostatic sleep pressure would be expected to saturate to a maximum level quite rapidly -- within only a few days, given the time constant of ~20 hours. Second, even after a huge sleep deprivation, the homeostatic sleep pressure would be expected to return to approximately normal levels within a night or two of sleep, because the time constant for dissipation is only ~3 hours. Indeed, both of these predictions are true for total sleep deprivation. Even when people are deprived of sleep for 100+ hours, they tend to sleep for no more than about 14 hours on the first night of recovery. In other words, they do not pay back every hour of sleep missed.

For a while, it seemed like we therefore had sleep regulation figured out, at least in essence. However, the two-process model fails miserably when it is applied to the more common type of sleep restriction in day-to-day life: chronic sleep restriction for many consecutive days, e.g., getting only 6 hours of sleep per night for 14 consecutive days. Under these conditions, the two-process model would again predict that sleep homeostatic pressure would level off within a few days and recovery would be achieved at the end within one or two nights, i.e., a weekend. That is absolutely not what we see.
                                                                                                                  When individuals are chronically restricted of sleep for periods of 2-3 weeks, we instead find that cognitive impairment accumulates day by day, almost linearly. There is no sign of saturation or leveling off. Things just continue to get worse and worse. Paradoxically, delta waves do level off, just as the two-process model would predict, and so do subjective ratings of sleepiness, meaning people become less and less aware of their level of objective impairment as they are increasingly sleep restricted. After two weeks of getting 6 hours of sleep per night, individuals have the same reaction time as somebody who has been awake for 24 hours, which is approximately equivalent to an individual with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.10%. After two weeks of getting 4 hours of sleep per night, individuals have the same reaction time as somebody who has been awake for 48-72 hours.
                                                                                                                  The process of recovery also seems to be much slower after chronic sleep restriction, although it has not yet been well quantified. For chronic sleep restriction, there seems to be a much closer to one-to-one correspondence between hours of sleep lost and hours that must be paid back to return to baseline performance. Certainly, it is not possible to reverse the effects of chronic sleep restriction in a single weekend.

We don't yet know what is the physiological process underlying this much slower timescale response to chronic sleep restriction, but there are some hypotheses currently being tested, including up-regulation of adenosine receptors.
                                                                                                                  So, what about the effects of chronic sleep restriction on even longer timescales? What if you don't get enough sleep continually for a year, or a decade? How long would it then take you to recover? We don't know the answer to that. Laboratory studies of chronic sleep restriction cannot logistically or ethically go much longer than a month. We are therefore forced to rely on epidemiological data. We know that people who habitually get short sleep (less than about 6 hours) have higher rates of all-cause mortality, heart disease, obesity, and diabetes. But we don't know how easily those long-terms outcomes can be reversed by improving sleep patterns. For that, we will need longitudinal data, where people are tracked for years to see what happens if they improve their sleep habits. Those data would be very difficult to obtain, since it is difficult to convince people to make major lifestyle changes, and difficult to control for other lifestyle changes that may go along with them. Chronic sleep restriction also leads to increased hunger and poor diet choice, for instance, which may be one important confounding factor in such a study.

TL;DR: For very short term sleep deprivations (a few days), the recovery of sleep debt is rapid. For chronic sleep restriction on the timescale of weeks to months, the recovery of sleep debt is much slower. On timescales of months to years or longer, we don't know whether chronic sleep restriction can be repaid or whether it causes more permanent damage that cannot be easily reversed.
                                                                                                                  EDIT: Thanks for the gold, that's very kind!
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 29-09-16, 15:48.

Comment

Ground for divorce.
                                                                                                                    So is getting it apparently

Comment

yeah i thought this would be the answer, how do i go about getting an emergency one ? how long would it take ?
                                                                                                                      I've never had to get one so not certain, but believe you have to get to one of these two places

The Irish Embassy works to promote Irish interests in Britain: we also provide a range of key consular services to Irish citizens

Can't imagine it's much craic.

Comment

Oh somewhere it badly affects is shift workers like people working in hospital, if you have long shifts you make way more critical errors. As if they needed more reasons to work less.

During a total of 2203 patient-days involving 634 admissions, interns made 35.9 percent more serious medical errors during the traditional schedule than during the intervention schedule (136.0 vs. 100.1 per 1000 patient-days, P<0.001), including 56.6 percent more nonintercepted serious errors (P<0.001). The total rate of serious errors on the critical care units was 22.0 percent higher during the traditional schedule than during the intervention schedule (193.2 vs. 158.4 per 1000 patient-days, P<0.001). Interns made 20.8 percent more serious medication errors during the traditional schedule than during the intervention schedule (99.7 vs. 82.5 per 1000 patient-days, P=0.03). Interns also made 5.6 times as many serious diagnostic errors during the traditional schedule as during the intervention schedule (18.6 vs. 3.3 per 1000 patient-days, P<0.001).

The common thing, like mentioned above is first hand experience of people thinking they are fine. Many people believe they are fully functioning on their 6 hours a night (some are but they are a minority), cognitive abilities are still actually impaired compared to somebody with a full night sleep when objectively tested.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 29-09-16, 15:58.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X