Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the consensus on visiting Istanbul in the current climate? Or alternatively using a Turkish airport as a stopover? Having my very own Dobby moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
      Corbyn is another gift that keeps on giving

Even if there are seats whats his point?

Is it that when traveling in a large group it is cheaper and quicker to rent a bus than pay individual rail fare so he is wasting money and his time or perhaps that his whole party organisation is incapable of even making basic travel arrangements thus displaying a terrifying level of incompetence?

EDIT
      Meant to say even if there are no seats
      Last edited by RichieM; 23-08-16, 14:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
        Do you come across people that put in more than they get relief for? I know it's easier for the self-employed rather than us PAYE chumps.
        I'm assuming this is for me.

Yes occasionally people pay in more than they can and have to spread forward the tax relief. Self employed or employers in general can pay in a lot more than employees. Most of the high earners are simply targeting 2 million via their company tbh and saving/investing the rest.
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
          What's the consensus on visiting Istanbul in the current climate? Or alternatively using a Turkish airport as a stopover? Having my very own Dobby moment.
          Airport is good as a hub, the recent bombing was outside security at the entrance.

Don't know about the City but I'd have no much more problem with it than I would have had a few months ago.

Have been through the Airport loads of times and keep saying I will take a day or two to stay in the city next time but haven't managed it yet.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Enjoying the "The Night of".

Season Finale next week should be great viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              Jokes have had their day if these are the top 15 at Edinburgh. Painfully bad stuff.
              Gary Delaney/Arthur Smith are the only 2 I liked, one specific joke picked out of a set is odd though no?
              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                Was on shush I saw it, might check showbox in a bit if I can get my phone off the little one who is watching a movie on TV AND playing a game on my phone
                I saw it on shush, no issues for me.

Comment

Any recommendations for an ISP blocker?

Finding a few of the sites I use for viewing are blocked to me now and assume its all to do with constant use and ISP being locked out?

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                    Enjoying the "The Night of".

Season Finale next week should be great viewing.
                    Its ok, I'll follow it to the end but IMO its very much style over substance.
                    If I have to look at another shot of John Turtorro's rancid feet I'll puke, also Nas is probably the most infuriatingly dumb character ever written for TV.

Comment

I haven't drank in 2 months but I have developed a chocolate milk habit that would knock a horse. I never realised how much sugar was in alcohol!

Comment

Think it's mad that people can't see beyond work as their main source of fulfilment.
                        Cos that's what I said alright. Genuine lol/wtf .

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                          Any recommendations for an ISP blocker?

Comment

Lol at everyone planning their retirement,do any of ye actually work with the current crop of graduates,they are killers,we are all getting one way tickets to Switzerland when we hit 65

Comment

My plan is to keep yiz all going Weekend at Bernies style while I claim all these pension pots.

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                              I could set aside multiple lifetimes to read, nerd child me had 8 library cards gaming the system. Now I read on the crosstrainer to save time, it's a sad life.
                              It's all on YouTube m8

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                              Tis but ending up in the pub all day is no craic. Home drinking is only fun when you head into it full of drink.
                              Come town sometime before I'm back on the wagon
                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Lad who scored against Liverpool at the weekend facing sanctions for homophobic remarks he made on twitter FOUR years ago. Now they are bad comments but its a bit much surely,lads in their twenties can change a lot in four years
                                Must have been some solid digging by salty pool fans
                                The 25-year-old also made a litany of offensive comments about women and apologised for his behaviour last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                  I saw it on shush, no issues for me.
                                  That's weird. We watched it a couple of nights ago and it defo finished up early because we didn't see the last ~10 mins judging by the way we just saw it now by skipping through. Possible one of the mirrors is dodgy or else they uploaded it again. It could have just restarted itself though too. Cheers anyway, going to catch up now!

Comment

I have gone nearly 18 months without working and went through a nearly 3 year run without working back at the start of the decade so have gone through bursts of a kind if retired lifestyle and yet have always found the traditional retirement idea weird.

I am with Iago. You need a purpose, goals, hobbies etc otherwise I don't see the point.
                                    Last edited by cooker3; 23-08-16, 16:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                                      My plan is to keep yiz all going Weekend at Bernies style while I claim all these pension pots.

It's all on YouTube m8

Come town sometime before I'm back on the wagon
                                      Might do Friday, think im off Saturday

Comment

For fans of Steinbeck's The Pearl:
                                        The giant pearl was discovered by an un-named Filipino fisherman off the coast of the Palwan Islands and kept under his bed for a decade as a good luck charm.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

What are the must-do's up in auld belfast area?

Black taxi tour, giants causeway, what else we thinking? Anything between Newry and Portrush be perfect either side of Lough Neagh
                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                              Just catching up on the weekend now and saw no other response to this. Had an operation 3 years ago to clear my sinuses and remove polyps from my nose. All went well and been much much better since. It was overnight in the Hermitage and there was lots of blood involved but pain was fine. Not sure if that's the same as your getting mind. GL.
                                              Yeah seeing GP tomorrow and hoping this is the next course of action as we've exhausted the antibiotics route.
                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post

Black taxi tour, giants causeway, what else we thinking? Anything between Newry and Portrush be perfect either side of Lough Neagh
                                                Crumlin road Gaol ties in very nicely with a black taxi tour imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                  You know this is a tough one. Spotted a few posts about it over the weekend but never got around to posting. My essential feeling now is that I am not sure if anywhere in Dublin is doing it well.

FXBs - think somebody posted that they were there last Thursday night, well so was I. We had a great night drinking €150 bottles of vino and the waiter was an absolute legend but in general I feel that if the setting was a little more comfortable they would have the game by the bollox. My biggest complaint about FXB is the size of the steak - almost 12 months ago we (3) sent back our steaks as they were not as ordered. My 14oz was more like an 11oz and so on. Well the same thing happened me on Thursday night last, my 14oz Sirloin, whatever it was, was not 14oz. I just shut up about it but it grates me. You should never leave your customer feeling like they have been skimped on. I think it is the best around still, depending on the size of the party you should book early and stipulate a booth (6 max) which would make it all much more comfortable. All that said, the steak is damn good.

Shanahans - gone way down hill imo. Staff are gone to shit, front of house incredibly rude, and something which should feel like a relaxing evening now feels rushed. The whole show would still be a spectacle for somebody who hasnt been there but it is very expensive and shouldn't feel like it does for something which costs as much.

Butchers Grill - Not suitable for a party but I did go back and pass it on the 2nd occasion. Very expensive for what it is though.

The Wild Goose Grill (Ranelagh) - ideal for a party, boss man Kevin and his side kick, Libby, are some of the best front of house people you will find. Not strictly a steakhouse and the only one they serve is a cote de boeuf but it is exceptional. Menu is diverse, setting and comfort is excellent. Decent wine list. You will not feel like you have been robbed and you will enjoy yourself. I'd confidently recommend it and be surprised if you came back with any complaints.
                                                  Cheers, thanks for that. Think I will opt for FXB's for the birthday. There will be six of us so will the booth will work out great. Will definitely add The Wild Goose Grill to Ranelagh restaurant list. Am living there full time now so am enjoying some of their establishments a lot more frequently!

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                  I hope you left me some because Lebanese sadly was outside the boundaries of my wine tasting theme and I ended up with something else.

Winner of the night was the red I brought from Austria (get in) and in second was a German wine - Reisling, I thought this was absolutely fantastic. Too sweet for some.
                                                  There was 2 bottles of the 2004 on the shelf left and I think he said he had some 2007 also in stock

I really need to get back in Reisling. The last time I drank it properly was about 10 years ago and it was spurred by one of my mates weddings. They opted to ditch the venue wine and order in there own. The Reisling they picked was amazing. Not sure why I fell out with it, think I just started to drink a lot more Sauvignon

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                    Lad who scored against Liverpool at the weekend facing sanctions for homophobic remarks he made on twitter FOUR years ago. Now they are bad comments but its a bit much surely,lads in their twenties can change a lot in four years
                                                    Good point, good point. Ageee.

Must have been some solid digging by salty pool fans
                                                    http://www.the42.ie/andre-gray-charged-2944062-Aug2016/
                                                    Silly barb.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                                        Just catching up on the weekend now and saw no other response to this. Had an operation 3 years ago to clear my sinuses and remove polyps from my nose. All went well and been much much better since. It was overnight in the Hermitage and there was lots of blood involved but pain was fine. Not sure if that's the same as your getting mind. GL.
                                                        Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                        Yeah seeing GP tomorrow and hoping this is the next course of action as we've exhausted the antibiotics route.
                                                        I've the polyps and blocked Eustachian tubes, suffered my whole life with them. One of my eyes has swollen and is full of fluid, hearing gone to the dogs and bouts of vertigo and pain that really is like no other.

No antibiotics work on me anymore but they currently have me on antihistamines and sudafed every now and again and its done more than anything has for me in the last few years. Nurofen added in for the pain when it gets bad but the thing that has given me the most relief is using a sinus rinse a few times a day with some kind of steroid nasal spray.

I'll probably only be getting the tubes unblocked first which is a day thing.

Do you consume much dairy Raoul? Doctors now copping on that its bad for the sinuses. Try quit it for 2 weeks and see if there is any improvement. Do you get much mucus just skipping the path down your nostrils and falling down your throat? Only way I can explain that feeling. Get yourself a sinus rinse, they are over the counter.

Comment

Do you consume much dairy Raoul? Doctors now copping on that its bad for the sinuses. Try quit it for 2 weeks and see if there is any improvement. Do you get much mucus just skipping the path down your nostrils and falling down your throat? Only way I can explain that feeling. Get yourself a sinus rinse, they are over the counter.
                                                          Fair bit of cheese. Can't give that up though, might die.
                                                          Also have a good bit of full-fat yogurt daily (big smoothie to start the day). Don't think that counts as dairy though.

I did have an allergy test that returned nothing.

Tried innumerable sinus rinses. Make no difference but entertains the kids no end.

Yours sounds worse than mine tbh. I just get on with it and it's not particularly debilitating, I've just decided now is the time to get to the bottom of it.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post

Are you a Game of Thrones fan?

Comment

Just caught sight of this while waiting for the kid to finish her icecream (36 fcking degrees here, most definitely not a brag):

Regular burger: 180gr steak for €5.60 = 3.11 cents per gram
                                                              Double burger: 360gr steak for €8.50 = 2.36 cents per gram
                                                              Triple burger: 540gr steak for €10.50 = 1.94 cents per gram
                                                              Dubai burger: 1000gr steak for €22.10 = 2.21 cents per gram

But with the Dubai eating challenge you get another burger for free if you finish it - excluding doubles/triples/Dubai. Next closest burger on the rest of the menu has 180gr steak for €5.60 meaning if you successfully complete the Dubai challenge you get 1180gr steak for €22.10 = 1.87 cents per gram.

So if your thing is steak at the lowest possible per unit cost and you are confident that a kilo of steak initially and all the trimmings is going to be grand to eat then the Dubai is the one to go for given it saves you a massive 0.07 cents per gram over the triple.

I post this just to note the French inability to offer a bargain. The amount of times you'd be in a shop and they'd maybe have, say, kiwis sold individually for 20 cent each or a special offer of a hundred kiwis for €19.95 followed by an exclamation mark signifying how proud they are to offer you this fantastic deal.

This article by David Williams gets at the general point more pointedly, although then veers off into a rant about the Irish central bank. Relevant bit below:
                                                              Dude

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                Fair bit of cheese. Can't give that up though, might die.
                                                                Also have a good bit of full-fat yogurt daily (big smoothie to start the day). Don't think that counts as dairy though.

I did have an allergy test that returned nothing.

Tried innumerable sinus rinses. Make no difference but entertains the kids no end.

Yours sounds worse than mine tbh. I just get on with it and it's not particularly debilitating, I've just decided now is the time to get to the bottom of it.
                                                                Only got bad the last few years with the headaches and crap, it can attack your nerve system. Its madness. Always got on with it through my teens to the point that having a cold didnt bother me.

My allergy test came up with only house dust but cutting out dairy helped.

GPs fob this stuff off cause thy haven't a fucking clue about it, they are just book smart cunts in general who send you on to people who know what they are doing. Don't let them fob you off, tell them its worse than it is and go see an eye, ear, throat doc.

Comment

Think it's mad that people can't see beyond work as their main source of fulfilment.
                                                                  Fucking insane. You are all slaves.
                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

What a strike for Dundalk, glimmer of hope now.

Comment

Some finish.....

Comment

Big difference is Ronan Finn being fit this week, amazed he's never got an English move, imo the most talented midfielder in the Irish league since Wes.
                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

I used to get sinusitis regularly, have hardy drank milk at all in the past year and haven't gotten it once since. Give up the fancy cheese raoul m8

Usually lasted about 10 days at a time, the headaches were a killer.
                                                                          Last edited by davepoke/her; 23-08-16, 19:30.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                            Big difference is Ronan Finn being fit this week, amazed he's never got an English move, imo the most talented midfielder in the Irish league since Wes.
                                                                            Trying too hard with the playing it out from the back shit then lumping it with nobody looking for the knock on or second ball.

Legia are very, very bad too.

Comment

This article by David Williams gets at the general point more pointedly, although then veers off into a rant about the Irish central bank. Relevant bit below:
                                                                              What an utter bollocks not giving yer man the fare back to save a fucking tenner. Dismal science indeed.
                                                                              And the fucking obnoxious cunt can't even count... actually I know he can count hes just lying to spice up his story as per usual.

I had asked him to do the €110 round trip for €100. He blanked. So rather than get a €100 round trip, this dude got €55 and was left to find a full fare back to the airport from the centre of Paris. He gave up a certain €50 for a possible €55 which would have got him back to the airport, the very place he’d suggested he was based. Now I am on the train, observing the casual comings and goings of cosmopolitan Paris, paying only €10 for the pleasure and my Chinese friend is playing the taxi destination lottery on the streets.
                                                                              It was 45 he gave up for a prospective 55 which is c.40 minutes at French min wage rates and he obviously has a much better sense of the real world and understands money better than the most sanctimonious prick in Ireland does.

Comment

I feel like the years I wasted between 20-27 living the poker lifestyle was sort of like using some of my retirement years early in life. I do regret at times that at 30 I have only 2.5 years work experience behind me instead of 10.

I guess the fact I work in an industry that is related to those years is some small bonus and it probably shapes what I do today.

I think if I had the free time now that I had then I would go insane.
                                                                                Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

...

Comment

It was 45 he gave up for a prospective 55 which is c.40 minutes at French min wage rates and he obviously has a much better sense of the real world and understands money better than the most sanctimonious prick in Ireland does.
                                                                                    French minimum wage is €15 per hour? Either that or else your understanding of maths is as bad as McWilliams.

Comment

Its ok, I'll follow it to the end but IMO its very much style over substance.
                                                                                      If I have to look at another shot of John Turtorro's rancid feet I'll puke, also Nas is probably the most infuriatingly dumb character ever written for TV.
                                                                                      +1 The first episode was the best of any TV show in a good while and acted as an incredible hook but sadly it has declined with every episode since. I 'm not sure Nas comes across as dumb or just very ill conceived with completely unbelievable contrasting motivations.
                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                      The level of stupid writing when they kissed in the last episode really dragged it to a new low.
                                                                                      Maybe less of the feet close ups but I do love John Turtorro's character it in.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                                                        I used to get sinusitis regularly, have hardy drank milk at all in the past year and haven't gotten it once since. Give up the fancy cheese raoul m8

Twice I've had to spend 4 weeks in bed in the dark essentially crippled. There's little communities online of people who have suffered in so many bad ways after misdiagnosis but eventually get diagnosed for some kinda sinus or ear related problem.

GPs must die.

Comment

Was putting away clothes this eve and went to put Mia's socks in her usual drawer and found everything bar socks

Her sky-ness
                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                            Who'd have thought an After Hours WW game would descend into farce.
                                                                                            The game mod threatened with being banned by actual mods for telling people not to edit their posts is my fav so far.
                                                                                            Yeah I pulled out of it earlier. Was a load of bollocks and then I got a warning from a board's mod for backseat modding. I told a fella to gtfo and stop posting lol. They haven't a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                              Yeah I pulled out of it earlier. Was a load of bollocks and then I got a warning from a board's mod for backseat modding. I told a fella to gtfo and stop posting lol. They haven't a clue.
                                                                                              They don't mod like I mod.

I am the king.

When one of us goes to werewolf we all go to werewolf.

When CHD mods a game the players ring their girlfriends and wives, baby, CHD has made us rich, it's red panty night.

Eamo is a lady

Modding beats power, precision is CHD modding

Tell your mot to have the red pantys on tomorrow dobby, CHD just replied to you. You've made it.

Comment

€15 an hour in France? What's Ireland these days.

If he is sure he can get a fair back quickly is makes sense to pass. But there is also a point when it comes -EV. But I think that inflection point (...Harrington on Hold'em ) isn't relevant to minimum wage. The driver isn't paid min-wage. Whether the min wage is €5 or €25 makes no difference to the driver, but complete change the minute conversion above.

A better way to look at it is that getting back to the airport as quick as possible, for the highest fare is the goal. From my memory of Paris it's about 30mins. So the taxi man could be back in the queue at CDG quickily for €45. Or take a chance on a full fare for €10 more. (any francophiles present, feel free to correct that 30mins, it's been a while since I was in Paris and I got the train.)

€55/€45*30mins = 36m40s
                                                                                                If he take him 7 minutes or more to find that fare, then he is earning a lower rate getting back to the airport. David Williams might be the most sanctimonious prick in Ireland, but I don't see how he is wrong in this case.
                                                                                                Last edited by Mellor; 23-08-16, 23:50.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                  Was putting away clothes this eve and went to put Mia's socks in her usual drawer and found everything bar socks

That kid has good banter

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                      Who'd have thought an After Hours WW game would descend into farce.
                                                                                                      The game mod threatened with being banned by actual mods for telling people not to edit their posts is my fav so far.
                                                                                                      Seem mental enough. The guy who replaced Dobby must be on acid.

From what I can tell the game seem to follow a very different format from that we held here. What you think AJ? Some of the differences seem good like the priest role. But it looks harder for the villager to win. Interesting that they don't have a villagent though.
                                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Twice I've had to spend 4 weeks in bed in the dark essentially crippled. There's little communities online of people who have suffered in so many bad ways after misdiagnosis but eventually get diagnosed for some kinda sinus or ear related problem.

GPs must die.
                                                                                                        Jesus. Mine is nothing like that. Feel a bit soft now.

Have you been to a specialist?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                                                                                                          what a horribly sneering haughty fuckhole of an article.
                                                                                                          Mrs Browns Boys is shite, but to labor the point and repeatedly make the same Brexit joke is not funny or clever either.
                                                                                                          For the sake of comparison, I read this article in about 5 mins.
                                                                                                          in that 5 mins he made the same Europe joke 3 times and I honestly lost count of the number of old people are stupid jokes. Every joke, its the same joke dressed up as indignant commentary
                                                                                                          That seems worse writing than Brendan O'Carroll
                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Doctor put me on one last antibiotic and is very confident on this one (mind you, he was also confident about the last one ).

Specialist next stop if this doesn't work. No charge for the visit so fair enough.

Comment

Re the Paris taxi driver - Presumably many of the €55 airport fares get tipped up to €60, which makes DMWs €100 offer even less attractive.
                                                                                                              Also the idea that the driver said his only option is an immediate trip back to CDG is probably made up by DMW - I'm sure he'd be happy to skit around central Paris for a few hours dropping business people to meetings and longhauling American tourists looking to get to the Eiffel Tower.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                €15 an hour in France? What's Ireland these days.
                                                                                                                I was guesstimating his net being 2/3 of a min wage hour. Chinese guy in a paris city cab is unlikely to be its owner and even if he was the margins are very thin.

Comment

Only got bad the last few years with the headaches and crap, it can attack your nerve system. Its madness. Always got on with it through my teens to the point that having a cold didnt bother me.

My allergy test came up with only house dust but cutting out dairy helped.

GPs fob this stuff off cause thy haven't a fucking clue about it, they are just book smart cunts in general who send you on to people who know what they are doing. Don't let them fob you off, tell them its worse than it is and go see an eye, ear, throat doc.
                                                                                                                  Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post

Yeah my friend has similar issues, is related to the ear too. Anyway she gave up dairy and it's mostly gone, years of antibiotics and going to the top specialists here did nothing - surgery is an option but they have no idea it would work and who the fuck wants surgery that might do nothing or make things worse and is a stab in the dark?

Desperately clinging onto the cheese and yogurt until I got her on the fake stuff and now is loving life (apart from the fake cheese ).

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

I'm all for the broader principal of freeing people and society from the malign effects of religion but the idea of armed police patrolling beaches and forcing Muslim women to undress is probably not the smartest way to go about that

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X