This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mugsy View Post
    that story is dated from October last year?

Its same shop so garda probably needed to stop the locals interfering again
    yes.

The receivers are 'taking back' the shop which the local community had 'taken back' in last October.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        We didn't do class in Ennis. Its only in Dublin I've seen class be an issue and something people are aware of. Most of the people who bring it up bring it up in the sense that it is something they don't benefit from - as in theres a favoured life for people of some elevated social class.
        it's because everyone in Ennis is a peasant

Comment

Flying out to Australia soon and currently looking at the flights options.

A lot of the connecting flights seems to only have a 1h 10m to 1h 50m layover, is that just ridic short (too short) for one to get the connecting flights along with luggage? It seem to be same airline but worried even if I make it the luggage won't. What the realistic timeframe should you be looking for in terms of layover?
          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

In other news, shipped the visa
            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I always found the opposite class thing in Dublin, and you see it in the politicians elected too. That you're made to feel privileged in a bad way for not having the decency to be an inner-city (non) working-class scummer in a tracksuit. Like just being an ordinary schmoe going about your regular decent job is something to be embarassed about, even though the vast majority of us had close to zero helping hands to achieve our middle-classedness. Class is something that exists much more in the minds of the Henry Street dwellers much more than anyone elses.
              Who is espousing that you should feel this way, other middle class people are trying to tell you you should feel bad for being middle class? I've never seen that sentiment. I'm praised everywhere I go for something that was handed to me, equally silly. Oh it exists in peoples minds but it is of no benefit to them to talk about it or care about it, so I suppose you can say it's in there somewhere.

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
              heh, I exist in a completely alien corporate world than my background would suggest.
              My da is over 60 and is working as a laborer, I feel like Im taking the piss if I complain about work to him.
              Yeah I would feel the same, I used to go to work with my dad all the time when I young, I can't imagine doing his work for a week let alone my whole life. He on the other hand wouldn't have the faintest understanding of what I do, I can hardly complain I was waiting on my Herman Miller?

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
              Following the argument he raises about parents being key determinants of children's success, and the question of whether or not that is acceptable (or indeed a very bad thing), consider the alternative.

In order for parents to not be key determinants of their children's success, the link between success and parents needs to be broken. In order to break that linkage we must remove or hinder the ability of a parent to confer abilities and advantages to their offspring.

Abilities and advantages that they have worked hard to accrue themselves (following the argument to infinite regress - as had their parents, and theirs, and theirs ..... ).

Is that fair? (or indeed realistic, reasonable, or in anyway possible)

If somehow we answer yes to all of the 4 questions above, what impact does it have on society? Positive or negative?
              It's unreasonable to try and hinder parents helping children in this manner, I don't think that's the only way to go about this. It's more about giving more of a chance to people at the other end of the spectrum. Of course people can rise above said upbringing, no exceptions would be exceptional. We would start by looking at countries that do better than us at this (most well developed countries), and then facilitating whatever changes are needed there and on a more colloquial level (people can argue away what they should be and whether his suggestions at the bottom are good or bad - it's more about actually looking at it), that would raise the floor rather than hinder the ceiling.

I would also argue most people do not need to work hard, the work was done for them :-P Sure I go through the motions of shooland all that but that's all it was, it was pretty set out for most, barring the outliers. I was told by my guidance counselor once, "Tara you sexy babe, you can do whatever you want in life", perhaps others could be given more of a chance at same.

We didn't do class in Ennis. Its only in Dublin I've seen class be an issue and something people are aware of. Most of the people who bring it up bring it up in the sense that it is something they don't benefit from - as in theres a favoured life for people of some elevated social class.
              I'm pretty sure it's more of a stark difference in Dublin than anywhere else, hell I never even saw a homeless person in Sligo until I was well into my teens? Nor a black person. And sure there are the yacht sections of these towns but it's not the same at the other end.
              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 21-09-16, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                Class in Dublin, more could be added about ethnicity., I can sometimes physically see the different reactions when people find out what college you went to or what job you have. I also see difference in response from the gardaí when they are investigating somebody and find out they are in Trinity for example (I have seen this twice - complete attitude change to ' oh you go/went to trinity; hes a good lad just made a mistake! Case closed.). I can well imagine people being completely surprised my friend lives in Cabra or that my friends house is in x unsavory place, and I hear peoples background on the tip of their tongue, know it from eye. Hell my cat differentiates between people!
                http://grahamstull.com/2016/09/20/so...e-final-taboo/
                I was waiting for the lyric: “A boy of three / undernourished and weak / Can’t afford to eat / Cause his ma’ don’t take home in a week / what youz are after spendin’ to sit in dah’ fuckin’ seat”

That lyric never came. Kirwan was happy to bang on about poverty, but he kept the teeth of social disadvantage well away from the manicured hands that were feeding him.
                ffs....
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Of course ye do. What about travellers?

Comment

Can anyone help me?

Looking to buy a gift card for Ebay in euros. Digital or in store.
                    Is that possible?

Comment

Play it calm dude, read The Runaway Jury beforehand, subtlety is your friend

That's taking your civic duty seriously. In fairness there is no way Seanie gets a fair trial. It should be a panel of professional judges sitting on this one in my view.
                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                        That's taking your civic duty seriously. In fairness there is no way Seanie gets a fair trial. It should be a panel of professional judgestorturers sitting on this one in my view.
                        fyp
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                          Of course ye do. What about travellers?
                          I assume you are referring to them as an 'elevated social class'.

That's what I always understood by people who do no work and live off the toil of others.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                              What's the alternative to revolut which has been mentioned on here?
                              Out of interest, why alternative?

Cant get enough of Revolut.

Comment

New re-formed hatred for the Garda.

Had some stuff stolen this week, nothing major but super annoying and I asked the garda to file a report. Guy behind the counter kept saying, oh so nothing big was stolen trying to belittle me the entire time then he just asked for my name and number and never even bother writing it down and said he would get right on it. I asked him to repeat my number and he couldn't and he went into this huge rant about how he has more important things to be doing like catching murderers.
                                What an absolute fat cunt. Same garda station that never rang me back once after I was robber of phone and stabbed with a needle. Irish garda are a fucking joke, most of the ones in mountjoy were too dumb to do anything else and sit behind a desk getting fatter and dumber with every day.

Honestly going to throw a brick through the window of the garda shop some night, it's going to be class.

/rant
                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  fyp
                                  I honestly disagree with some of the Seanie hate. The guy lost a shit load of his own money so he's the worst defrauder in history tbh.

He probably did defraud/mislead people towards the end but he was a desperate man at that stage. We'll let a jury of his peers decide that one.

The regulators and politicians who failed to act or turned a blind eye are so much more culpable in my view and they've lost nothing and have retired in style. Same way the regulators allowed people investing in CHC to be robbed with no consequences or Employers to walk away from their pension promises while continuing to trade profitably. Imagine if we were in the UK the regulator would be on the rack for their feeble performance. Instead we pay them off and pension them off quietly...
                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                    New re-formed hatred for the Garda.

Had some stuff stolen this week, nothing major but super annoying and I asked the garda to file a report. Guy behind the counter kept saying, oh so nothing big was stolen trying to belittle me the entire time then he just asked for my name and number and never even bother writing it down and said he would get right on it. I asked him to repeat my number and he couldn't and he went into this huge rant about how he has more important things to be doing like catching murderers.
                                    What an absolute fat cunt. Same garda station that never rang me back once after I was robber of phone and stabbed with a needle. Irish garda are a fucking joke, most of the ones in mountjoy were too dumb to do anything else and sit behind a desk getting fatter and dumber with every day.

Honestly going to throw a brick through the window of the garda shop some night, it's going to be class.

/rant
                                    Poorly played mdoug. Ask for his Garda number and the complaints dept. Don't engage in a debate about how many murderers he's caught recently.

Comment

Gardai are usually pricks but easily owned Dug m8.

Don't create hassle for yourself, create hassle for them.

Comment

I honestly disagree with some of the Seanie hate. The guy lost a shit load of his own money so he's the worst defrauder in history tbh.

He probably did defraud/mislead people towards the end but he was a desperate man at that stage. We'll let a jury of his peers decide that one.

The regulators and politicians who failed to act or turned a blind eye are so much more culpable in my view and they've lost nothing and have retired in style. Same way the regulators allowed people investing in CHC to be robbed with no consequences or Employers to walk away from their pension promises while continuing to trade profitably. Imagine if we were in the UK the regulator would be on the rack for their feeble performance. Instead we pay them off and pension them off quietly...
                                        V confirmed handling Seanie's stashed loot

Comment

Comment

Depends on airline and airport for tight transit time. Had 20 mins once in chicago that was smooth as silk, adjacent gates with enough time for a loo break.
                                            Have only experience of emirates going east but 1 1/2 hours would be about right. Takes half an hour/40 mins to change terminals and get fed/refreshed.
                                            If its all.booked on one ticket they are obliged to get you there anyhow.
                                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

V confirmed handling Seanie's stashed loot
                                              Small beer...

Some of these guys genuinely lost a lot. A net worth of €20m falling to €1m for example, and very bleak future earning prospects. I know the general sympathies would be low, but it would be interesting to get an insight from someone who has lived through it over the last 10 years. I've spoken to one or two in my time but not Seanie, and not as candidly as I'd like.

Btw my job is hilarious and scary some days.

Advising schemes on what to do with many millions on behalf of their members and they make very significant decisions in literally a few minutes because the meeting is overrunning...scary shit and absolutely human nature.

More time is spent on the content of a basic letter to members because the Trustees can at least understand that. At least they are paying an adviser who doesn't make this shit up on his way into the meeting (and has an impactful tie)...

Comment

Small beer...

Some of these guys genuinely lost a lot. A net worth of €20m falling to €1m for example, and very bleak future earning prospects. I know the general sympathies would be low, but it would be interesting to get an insight from someone who has lived through it over the last 10 years. I've spoken to one or two in my time but not Seanie, and not as candidly as I'd like.

Btw my job is hilarious and scary some days.

Advising schemes on what to do with many millions on behalf of their members and they make very significant decisions in literally a few minutes because the meeting is overrunning...scary shit and absolutely human nature.

More time is spent on the content of a basic letter to members because the Trustees can at least understand that. At least they are paying an adviser who doesn't make this shit up on his way into the meeting (and has an impactful tie)...
                                                ORLY

FoI requests are great yokes altogether btw

Comment

whoo-hoo rain!

new umbrella time...stand back ladies, try not to faint

Comment

ORLY

FoI requests are great yokes altogether btw
                                                    There are some unbelievable cowboys and conflicts of interest in this game. It would makes GABs horsey set look respectable.

Excellent re FOI! Let the fuckers squirm if nothing else.

Comment

What does his loosing his own cash have to do with if he broke the law and circumvented regulation? Desperate men do desperate things all the time - junkies are desperate for a fix so rob Mdougs phone, its hardly an excuse.

If you are asking if more people should be brought to trail including the regulator, politicians and anyone else they can find then yes absolutely.

He is on trail for his particular charges not for the whole financial crisis - getting that across may be difficult but that is what jury selection is for.

On your previous post regarding having it in the hands of a few judges. Rarely in history has fair justice been handed out behind closed doors by a selected group. It is how dictators let friends off and kill rivals whilst maintaining the image of justice to keep the plebs happy.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                        What does his loosing his own cash have to do with if he broke the law and circumvented regulation? Desperate men do desperate things all the time - junkies are desperate for a fix so rob Mdougs phone, its hardly an excuse.

If you are asking if more people should be brought to trail including the regulator, politicians and anyone else they can find then yes absolutely.

He is on trail for his particular charges not for the whole financial crisis - getting that across may be difficult but that is what jury selection is for.

On your previous post regarding having it in the hands of a few judges. Rarely in history has fair justice been handed out behind closed doors by a selected group. It is how dictators let friends off and kill rivals whilst maintaining the image of justice to keep the plebs happy.
                                                        Ah I agree he needs to stand trial but making him the poster child for everything that went wrong is childish. He is standing trial for the correct things but will a jury make their decision for the right reasons?

Accepting your points about dictatorships etc. I'd still rather have Peter Kelly decide my fate then a jury of those who couldn't get out of it.

Comment

Poorly played mdoug. Ask for his Garda number and the complaints dept. Don't engage in a debate about how many murderers he's caught recently.
                                                          Yeah he got under the skin.

I literally went in for him to fill out a stolen property report so I could access security feed from the place it was stolen from as they wouldn't let me look at it without it, and the fuck couldn't even do that simple form for me. He started talking about how he had some more important shit to do. Went in for help and left wanting to murder someone and give him some work to do, well done copper.

The fat fuck tilted me good.
                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

whoo-hoo rain!

a solid feel in the hand

audible gasps upon unfurling

Comment

this must be what V feels like when the impactful neckwear is donned

Comment

Ah I agree he needs to stand trial but making him the poster child for everything that went wrong is childish. He is standing trial for the correct things but will a jury make their decision for the right reasons?

Accepting your points about dictatorships etc. I'd still rather have Peter Kelly decide my fate then a jury of those who couldn't get out of it.
                                                                Peter Kelly will decide how severely he is punished for it and in terms of if a jury will make a decision for the right reasons - bias can go both ways but it is the least unfair way to judge someone.

12 weeks of forensic accountancy and explanations of banking regulations - what a nightmare to not manage to get out sitting on the jury for the selected people.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Tell him to look on the bright side Hitch, he'd love that.
                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Comment

whoo-hoo rain!

Link please?

Seen something posted whilst on holz and didn't care about rain then. Soaked right about now!

Comment

Herrera playing behind at 11/1 FGS is big.

Small on 2 or more and hatrick too.

Comment

...

Comment

Its the defining principal of a conman that they drink their own snake oil.

Small beer...

Some of these guys genuinely lost a lot. A net worth of €20m falling to €1m for example, and very bleak future earning prospects.
                                                                                The whole point it that there was no €20M it was a pyramid and depending on the relative competence who is to say what there is or isn't buried abroad.
                                                                                It has nothing to do with how much they lost personally it is only about the laws they broke.
                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I'm still very happy with the Senz one I bought two years ago, though I do like the look of the wooden handle on those Knirps ones. https://www.senz.com/en/stick-umbrellas/senz-smart/
                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

...

Comment

Watching quarry at the moment
                                                                                      Brilliant first two episodes so far

Comment

This is just brilliant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GVJpOmaDyU
                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

In 2014, a study revealed that more than 70 percent of Britain’s top swimmers and nearly a third of Team Sky’s cyclists are afflicted by the condition. The numbers are well above the national average, which teeters at around 10 percent.

Comment

BBV help please.Hey anyone here been to San Francisco and can recommend some cheap & cheerful accommodation?
                                                                                            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                              ...Ass Surgery Time, let's do this...Wish me luck random people 😎😎😎...
                                                                                              ...Your good luck messages worked my random Friends 😄😄😄...Painful as fuck but hopefully my4.5months of tests and hell are finally over...
                                                                                              ...oh and note to people, never tell the nurses you haven't peed in 16 hours, I told them and now have a Catheter tube stuck straight through my Japs eye to drain my bladder, ouchy....Awake now so I'm gonna go and catch up on some IPB Bbv...

Comment

Its actually dangerous the way we seem to be moving towards an idea that someone is guilty because we don't like them - Seanie, Pat Hickey. Lets wait and see what the court decides?

I'd imagine the case against Seanie is much weaker than that against the others who have been convicted - wasn't he just chairman? - so he'd hardly have been making day-to-day decisions.
                                                                                                We don't like these leaches for good reason. Anglo shenanigans akin to Enron. 14 years like Enron's Skilling sounds fair to me.
                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Don't forget Ernst and young for signing off on the accounts, what a cushy number,call in ,set up the PlayStation in a conference room for a few days then sign off on whatever bag of spanners is presented to you . Consequences = zero and you are still to this day presented as a reputable company in the Irish media

Comment

Just sitting out having a glass of wine on hols. 5 years today since the brother passed today. Would be 33 now. Better off taking life by the balls and going for it coz we never know whats coming.....

Anyway, random thought.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                      Flying out to Australia soon and currently looking at the flights options.

A lot of the connecting flights seems to only have a 1h 10m to 1h 50m layover, is that just ridic short (too short) for one to get the connecting flights along with luggage? It seem to be same airline but worried even if I make it the luggage won't. What the realistic timeframe should you be looking for in terms of layover?
                                                                                                      I'm assuming this is in Abu Dhabi or Dubai.
                                                                                                      1h10m is fine. They generally won't book you on a flight you can't make. I try to find the flights with the shortest lay over. It's a long flight no need to add to it.
                                                                                                      Your baggage will be label for a hot transfer so it will be first off the flight.

maybe it was meant at someone else
                                                                                                      It was a reply to that Jim Sheridan guy you were arguing with.
                                                                                                      Not *the* Jim Sheridan though.

What is asthma? Sports for 200 please Alec.

(guess without that opening the link, spotted the full url as I replied noticed)

Comment

Lads fuck joan burton. Are we as a nation really prosecuting a 15 year old because the minister spent a prolonged period in her car?

Comment

Originally posted by colquhom View Post
                                                                                                          Lads fuck joan burton. Are we as a nation really prosecuting a 15 year old because the minister spent a prolonged period in her car?
                                                                                                          Would you be happy at your kid....

Disclaimer- i havent followed the full case as to what he/she did to an elected member.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                            ...Your good luck messages worked my random Friends 😄😄😄...Painful as fuck but hopefully my4.5months of tests and hell are finally over...
                                                                                                            ...oh and note to people, never tell the nurses you haven't peed in 16 hours, I told them and now have a Catheter tube stuck straight through my Japs eye to drain my bladder, ouchy....Awake now so I'm gonna go and catch up on some IPB Bbv...
                                                                                                            FFS, i had to pay extra for that.
                                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                              Can't stand James corden but he's nailing the opportunity he was given.

Comment

Shut up.

Comment

...

Comment

The little cunt would be shot in many countries.
                                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                                                                      Can't stand James corden but he's nailing the opportunity he was given.
                                                                                                                      I thought he was great in Gavin and Stacy.
                                                                                                                      He won a Tony award on Broadway a few years back that appears to have paid off big time now with this scripted talkshow.

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                                      I first I was thinking, 20 years, and she still don't understand irony. But then...

It's singing Ironic, but there are no ironies.
                                                                                                                      ...maybe that's why it was ironic all along.

Comment

Swiss Army Man finally released today, I have been waiting for this one for months.

Please deliver.
                                                                                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

And by deliver I mean be as bad/good as I was hoping for!

Survivor is after starting back up today too, we should have a €10 sweepstake on survivor imo with a random draw. Will make each week even better to watch
                                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X