X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
    Unlikely.

Hilarious, but unlikely
    one way or another, we will be paying for him though. Sigh. Can we not export these lads to Syria - plenty of empty houses there and nearer to the supply routes of their preferred substance.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        not sure we want the end of result of molding Taliban Tommo and Jihadi Jacinta's
        plenty of examples from the UK and France holding up severed heads online

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          Conor McGregor lives his life by The Secret
          Seems to be working out well for him.and SatNav. Must order a copy

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
            Yea its 3.5 years old...nothing has changed!
            Apparently.

Though in saying that... (almost) all of our equipment is used pretty much constantly
            May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                Apparently.

Though in saying that... (almost) all of our equipment is used pretty much constantly
                Tyndall is a joke. So much unused, over spec'd equipment there.

Comment

Tyndall is a joke. So much unused, over spec'd equipment there.
                  I've never been though Im pretty sure we've had some work done there and I have definitely referred stuff there.

There are other Dublin centric centres that are apparently very similar too...
                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Comment

one way or another, we will be paying for him though. Sigh. Can we not export these lads to Syria - plenty of empty houses there and nearer to the supply routes of their preferred substance.
                      Take it to the letters page!
                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                        Yeah. Immensely happy with the decision to give it a go.
                        When I was home last Xmas my younger brother (14) came along with me to the gym to watch. He signed up himself the following day and has been training twice a week for the last year. My parents are delighted in the effect its had on him, physically and mentally.
                        Thats great stuff. I do see a lot of value in martial arts at an individual level great training and discipline but I wouldn't have thought that the kind of fighting that is marketed as UFC goes on under any of the traditional codes.
                        Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems to me there is a far bigger gap between kids doing any codified martial arts in a gym and UFC than say between U16's and professional Rugby.

You are perfectly entitled to not enjoy MMA or any sport, of course. But I'm guessing that you did actually watch the fight, and previous fights. Curiosity?
                        Well that one was impossible to avoid in its entirety But in the main I'd go out of my way to avoid watching it and as I say when I do see it I find it kind of sickening.
                        They weren't bareknuckle, you know that.
                        Pummeled? That's quite the hyperbole.
                        Jose Aldo took very little damage for a title fight. McGregor landed 4 punches. That's nothing. Contrast that with boxing, Mayweather landed 232 punches in his last fight.
                        I don't like boxing either. AI know we have had this discussion and you maintain that this is safer than boxing or rugby. I just don't buy that but beyond that my objection is more about the rawness of the violence as the main feature of the show. Though often guilty of hyperbole I think pummelled as a description punching a guy three times in the face after he's been KO'd and only stopping because the referee pushes you away is quite an understatement. Enjoying that as sport is quite perverse IMO.

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                        Well you do enjoy a sport that sees horses die every year. Maybe you just enjoy watching animals getting hurt over humans.
                        Maybe... I can certainly handle it better. I grew up in an environment where hare coursing was a normal activity but I hated to watch that until the day they put muzzles on the dogs at which point I thought it was a great sport.
                        I do hate to see animals suffer, but I prefer humans and hate to see them suffer more. I've seen Jockeys including a lad I knew and was very fond of killed on the track and I've seen lads crippled from playing rugby and in racing. Then again I have no qualms about saying that I thoroughly enjoy watching big guys hitting hard in rugby. I believe there is a moral difference between those sports and one where the only point is violence, I do however appreciate that many people see fighting as a very pure sport and enjoy it, I'm not looking to have it banned, I just find it weird that people get their kicks from watching it as spectators.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I genuinely would be more concerned for the long term health of a child of mine pursuing Rugby than MMA as a hobby/profession.

Comment

Was reading something on reddit about the cost of soft drinks in McDonalds. Apparently the cheapest component is the syrup to make the drink, followed by the cup, and most expensive is the ice.

Always thought putting ice in the drink was their way of short-changing you on some of that sweet precious Coca-Cola.
                            it was, but shit just keeps getting cheaper

Would explain why some subways have coolers installed on the lines so as to remove need for ice

Must ring head office and ask them to check the pricing of this for me with regard to ice and a slice policy

Comment

Watching the live stream of EPT Prague, Gavin O Rourke still in the last 60.Story on the stream that he fired up a $100 Spin&Go this morning, got 2nd spot for 100k

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                Thats great stuff. I do see a lot of value in martial arts at an individual level great training and discipline but I wouldn't have thought that the kind of fighting that is marketed as UFC goes on under any of the traditional codes.
                                Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems to me there is a far bigger gap between kids doing any codified martial arts in a gym and UFC than say between U16's and professional Rugby.
                                The vast majority of people training in MMA will never compete, especially not on a professional level. They simple for the training benefits.
                                MMA is basically an merging of a number of traditional martial arts. Basically boxing muay thai, wrestling and jiu jitsu. There's virtually nothing that happens in MMA that happens in each of those sports.

Kids 16+ would compete in amateur and modified MMA. Modified rulesets larger gloves, pads etc. But its rare. The few guys doing it, have a few years training under their belts and are probably going to go professional at 18 or 21. I don't know how widespread it is. More common for kids would be grappling competitions, jiu jitsu. Kids from 6 plus compete in those. I personally think jiu jitsu is a fantastic sport for kids.

I don't like boxing either. AI know we have had this discussion and you maintain that this is safer than boxing or rugby. I just don't buy that but beyond that my objection is more about the rawness of the violence as the main feature of the show. Though often guilty of hyperbole I think pummelled as a description punching a guy three times in the face after he's been KO'd and only stopping because the referee pushes you away is quite an understatement. Enjoying that as sport is quite perverse IMO.
                                Maybe it looked like he had to be dragged off him by the ref. But at that level, and with the money and careers on the line, he can't afford to pause and survey the situation. That's the ref's job. Even he wasn't out from the first punch, pausing would have given him a chance to recover.

Then again I have no qualms about saying that I thoroughly enjoy watching big guys hitting hard in rugby. I believe there is a moral difference between those sports and one where the only point is violence, I do however appreciate that many people see fighting as a very pure sport and enjoy it, I'm not looking to have it banned, I just find it weird that people get their kicks from watching it as spectators.
                                I honestly don't see the moral difference. There's about as much hate and malice in a fight as there is in a rugby tackle.
                                And both fighters willingly enter the fight, the same can't be said of cheap shots on the rugby pitch.

Comment

There's about as much hate and malice in a fight as there is in a rugby tackle.
                                  And both fighters willingly enter the fight, the same can't be said of cheap shots on the rugby pitch.
                                  Couldn't disagree with most of that except to clarify that where I see the difference is as spectators rather than participants.

Comment

Have to admit I have very little interest in the whole MMA bandwagon. I didn't get into boxing when it was massive either so I guess it is just not really my thing.

As an outsider I cant see how people wouldn't consider it a sport when it clearly is.

Great to see an Irish guy make it to the top of his sport and move from hollow contender who lots of people thought was going to get a nasty beating when truly tested.

People saying he shouldn't have hit him on the ground is laughable. In any sport you play the whistle so in this case he has to keep hitting until the ref calls it.

People saying it was fixed is also laughable - the slo mo gif clearly shows a huge punch connecting right on the sweat spot on the chin. That is a ko in any ring.

I will also not like the day when you have to have competing in a sport to be able to watch it. I dont know how many jockeys we have on the site but I doubt many people have been on a horse in the forum let alone galloped one over fences. It is the weakest argument ever.

I dont like the sport, dont like the attitude of McGregor but I cant see how anyone can try and remove or diminish his achievement. I would say a good bet for Irish SPOY.

Comment

Couldn't disagree with most of that except to clarify that where I see the difference is as spectators rather than participants.
                                      Have you not heard the reactions of rugby crowds to a massive hit? Pretty much the same ooohhh followed by a cheer or concern for their player as appropriate.

Comment

John Harris and some of the other video contributors, the only reason to use the guardian website anymore

Comment

Comment

Have been waiting two months for vodafone to move the BB account into my name. They've finally sent out a modem but they said it'll be mid-jan before they can send out an engineer. Is there any possibility that the router will work off the bat? (the router left behind by the previous tenant was working until vodafone eventually cut it off due to non-payment)

Comment

As elder vegan of the vegan high command I commend these underlings.

I was busy having turkey for dinner.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                Have been waiting two months for vodafone to move the BB account into my name. They've finally sent out a modem but they said it'll be mid-jan before they can send out an engineer. Is there any possibility that the router will work off the bat? (the router left behind by the previous tenant was working until vodafone eventually cut it off due to non-payment)
                                                I'd expect it should be just a matter of plugging it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                  As elder vegan of the vegan high command I commend these underlings.

I was busy having turkey for dinner.
                                                  Vegan christmas dinner must be tough for your poor mum to make. In my house i think everything that isn't meat is cooked in butter or roasted in goose fat

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                    What type of router is it? What type was the old router?
                                                    Had hassle downgrading my eFibre to Sky BB last year and required an engineer.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Sub Judice

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                            Vegan christmas dinner must be tough for your poor mum to make. In my house i think everything that isn't meat is cooked in butter or roasted in goose fat
                                                            Generally cook my own food! As there are a few non-meat eaters in my family and another turning, it's not so bad, I can make my sister do a lot of the work :P
                                                            Have to say loved the aul potatoes cooked in the juices.

Comment

Went to the dentist
                                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                Went to the dentist
                                                                How did it go?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                  Cunce will probably spend the election in jail...exactly what they wanted

Comment

Been trying a lot of red wines recently. There was some brilliant whites during that exploration period, but a good red does poop all over whites - with that highly satisfied elevated mood effect that kicks in around the end of glass two. The problem seems to be that reds have a potential to be either pure swill or deep rich elegance, with little in between. Seems a lot more difficult than understanding whites.
                                                                    whites have more subtlety to them imo //racist//

Comment

Horsehead elite.members being taken for mugs

Higher thread count doesn’t guarantee better sheets
                                                                      There's no need to pay high prices for a higher thread count
                                                                      Published: September 13, 2013 12:30 PM

A mantra at Consumer Reports is that high-priced products aren’t necessarily higher performing. The same can be said of sheets with high thread counts. Despite the notion that more is better, in our past sheet tests we confirmed that a higher thread count doesn't guarantee better sheets. To uncover the truth behind this misleading marketing gotcha, we talked to our experts.

Thread count is the number of vertical and horizontal threads per square inch. Not long ago, sheets typically had thread counts of 120 with 60 horizontal and 60 vertical threads. In the 1960’s, a sheet with a 180 thread count was considered a luxury. “Now you see 1,000 thread count sheets but you just can’t get that many threads on a loom,” says Pat Slaven, a textile expert at Consumer Reports.

To get that higher number, manufacturers use thinner strands of fabric twisted together as if they were one. Then they double, triple or even quadruple the thread count to make the number more attractive to the consumer. “It ups the count but doesn’t give you a better sheet,” says Slaven. “The sweet spot is 400.”

In Consumer Reports last sheet tests, our top-scoring percale sheet had a thread count of only 280. They were strong, shrank little, and easily fit mattresses up to 17 inches thick, even after we washed and dried them five times.

Spending money on sheets that have more than a 400 thread count is not necessary, says Slaven. Instead, focus on the fabric the sheets are made of. Combed cotton, Egyptian cotton or Pima cotton are the best choices. Read the labels closely. If you like soft sheets, choose a sateen but if you prefer crisp sheets, try percale. And keep in mind that selecting sheets b
                                                                      y how they feel in the store can be misleading because manufacturers add hand enhancers, silicone softeners, that wash out after the first trip to a laundry. That’s why it’s important to keep the receipt and return the sheets if you don’t like how they feel after they’ve been washed.
                                                                      Last edited by Guest; 14-12-15, 18:31.

Comment

Anyone who knows sheets knows anything above 400 is a scam. Like 5 blade razors...research shows that there is no improvement in performance beyond 2.

Comment

Anyone who knows sheets knows anything above 400 is a scam. Like 5 blade razors...research shows that there is no improvement in performance beyond 2.
                                                                          I get around the razor scam by using the last blade in the pack for around 6 months..value

Comment

I used a safety razor with Feather blades for years. Recently switched back to cartridge blades as time is a luxury I don't have much of anymore. They're far inferior and about 10x the price.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                              I get around the razor scam by using the last blade in the pack for around 6 months..value
                                                                              I bought a value pack last Christmas still on the last one
                                                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I used a safety razor with Feather blades for years. Recently switched back to cartridge blades as time is a luxury I don't have much of anymore. They're far inferior and about 10x the price.
                                                                                The 3 blade cartridges in Lidl are far cheaper than the likes of Gillette and are nearly as good imo.

Comment

...

Comment

but..but they have a fighter jet in their ad and everything. you sure?

Comment

I think I accidentally insulted a Muslim friend of mine today. She's recently changed jobs and is off for Xmas this year. The first time for about 5 years. I said an sure at least you'll enjoy it now. Her response was why the fuck I want to enjoy Xmas. And shot me a few dirty looks. Do Muslims not celebrate Xmas?

Gonna go with the old reliable tactic of just acting like it never happened next time I meet her.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                        I think I accidentally insulted a Muslim friend of mine today. She's recently changed jobs and is off for Xmas this year. The first time for about 5 years. I said an sure at least you'll enjoy it now. Her response was why the fuck I want to enjoy Xmas. And shot me a few dirty looks. Do Muslims not celebrate Xmas?

Gonna go with the old reliable tactic of just acting like it never happened next time I meet her.
                                                                                        RIP Dobby
                                                                                        Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Do Muslims not celebrate Xmas?
                                                                                          Just as much as you celebrate Eid.

Comment

Just as much as you celebrate Eid.
                                                                                            Never heard of that so point taken.

Comment

All the clever cunce in work who are based in Dubai manage to be 'working' here the weeks around Christmas and back there whenever Eid happens.

Answer is not really in most places its a normal working week but in places where there are lots of ex pats or a strong resident Christian population they will all have a day or two off.

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                                                RIP Dobby
                                                                                                How's the donating going tonight?

Comment

The last time I was in the Post office some aul wan behind the counter was asking chick with the full burka on "what is your christian name?".

cunce

Comment

...

Comment

All the clever cunce in work who are based in Dubai manage to be 'working' here the weeks around Christmas and back there whenever Eid happens.

Answer is not really in most places its a normal working week but in places where there are lots of ex pats or a strong resident Christian population they will all have a day or two off.
                                                                                                      She's from Mauritius so I don't know about ex pat or Christian population

Comment

Make it up to her with a bacon sambo Dobby m8

Comment

She's not much of a friend if she can turn on you after a fairly innocuous 'enjoy the holliers' comment. Its not like after at least six years here that she doesn't understand that your intent of that comment wasn't a request for her to turn up to church and take the body and blood of the true saviour Jesus Christ Our Lord.
                                                                                                          Or maybe she's a good friend cos she felt so comfortable telling me to gtfo?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                            How did it go?
                                                                                                            Went well m8, he is always complimentary about my gnashers, nice of him.

She sounds like an uppity cunt.

Comment

...

Comment

@dobby, you need to get a brown friend who loves the banter, no point otherwise

in other news, poor musicians

Comment

Mach 3, shave once a week due to girly face. Four-pack lasts about two years. Key is to use a shaving soap with bristle brush imo, as foam seems to decay the blade or clog it or something.
                                                                                                                  I have this thing. Does increase the life of a blade and keeps it feeling a lot sharper.

Comment

She's from Mauritius so I don't know about ex pat or Christian population
                                                                                                                    Mauritius is probably majority Hindu with a lot of Christians and I'd expect a small minority Muslim population.
                                                                                                                    Fairly sure the banks at least close for Christmas holidays there.

Comment

Aussie politician sent out the cutest ever family Christmas card

All the parents here can, or soon will, identify with this, I certainly have a few along these lines

SPOILER

Comment

Newbie & Flushdraw would love Mauritius. Theres a village called Arsenal with a lot of places painted red and Arsenal jerseys & gunners logo everywhere. Passed through it and thought i was seeing things.

Comment

Mach 3, shave once a week due to girly face. Four-pack lasts about two years. Key is to use a shaving soap with bristle brush imo, as foam seems to decay the blade or clog it or something.
                                                                                                                          You need to use hotter water and not so much foam. Rinse thoroughly after use and shake razor dry to avoid rust. Once a week? I think it's time you explored the idea that you might be a girl. Bitchhikers Guide....IMO

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X