This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iago View Post
    Well to be fair it was a hypothetical example where a renter would choose to stay in the same place paying over the odds for a 2 bed apartment to show that the number don't stack up. However the mortgage holder is also subject to inflationary raise in mortgage rates, interest payments, property tax, property maintenance, management fee etc etc

I'm not convinced a renter would rent a 2-bed rather than a 1 bed initially.
    I seriously doubt they would stay in the same place for 37 years...but maybe

So your point about rent is valid, but don't forget the likelihood of a mortgage staying at the same level is pretty much zero too. We are still in a period of historically low rates, and while I'd be surprised if we ever got back to the 17-18% of the 80's we are very likely to end up back at 7-8% imo.

That's going to be very painful down the line for people. At the rates in the example given, the interest rate was 4.7% or so. Let's say it's fixed at that for 3 years

At the end of year 3, they will have paid €27,000 off their mortgage, but their loan will still be €152,070.

In the intervening 3 year period, if rates have increased to a modest 6%

Their monthly payment will increase to €892
    Their total amount paid over the duration of the mortgage would be €369,528
    This added to the other costs outlined in the previous example would be €434,753
    + the original example didn't include furniture, fittings appliances (every 5-6 years max) or indeed the simple matter of house insurance (circe €300 a year)

If it were to go to 7.5% that monthly payment would increase to €1,042 a month and the total cost of the mortgage would be €428,664.

Anyway, we can all make numbers tell the story we want them to tell. The overall point I was making is that a mortgage commitment needs to be considered holistically. It's not about what you can afford now, or where you want to live now, it should be about a lifeplan that covers the span of the mortgage.

Renting on the other hand gives you flexibility and choice, and if you use the money that would otherwise have gone into a house in a smart way then you can potentially derive as much equity from that as home ownership.

At some point in life that might lead to wanting to own a home in an area that you intend to spend the rest of your life, but home ownership in and of itself shouldn't be the all encompassing goal that it seems to be for people.
    Renting is also giving options of drastically changing how much you pay on circumstance. I pay 700 now I could half that if I wanted at any time and move somewhere else, I paid 1300 for a few years, when I lived with my gf it was 350 each, when I lived in killester I paid 240pm to share a house with one person! A friend of mine now pays similar to live with a landlord. I don't think most couples want/need a 2 bed apartment tbh, all my friends live in one beds. My friend and his fiancée have shared a room in rented accommodation for years, they have pay around 200 each and love living with people. Main point as always is that renting is so flexible, not that you can find the above deals willy nilly, it's just that you can change things up as you want.
    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 29-01-15, 10:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
      Renting is also giving options of drastically changing how much you pay on circumstance. I pay 700 now I could half that if I wanted at any time and move somewhere else, I paid 1300 for a few years, when I lived with my gf it was 350 each, when I lived in killester I paid 240pm to share a house with one person! A friend of mine now pays similar to live with a landlord. I don't think most couples want/need a 2 bed apartment tbh, all my friends live in one beds. My friend and his fiancée have shared a room in rented accommodation for years, they have pay around 200 each and love living with people. Main point as always is that renting is so flexible, not that you can find the above deals willy nilly, it's just that you can change things up as you want.
      weirdos

Comment

Tell me about it! It's hard enough to live with an OH let alone others. I see it becoming more popular these days in other European countries where each person in a relationship has their own apartment. I think a lot of people will become more independent as years go on.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
            Has anyone stayed in The G Hotel in Galway? I am looking for somewhere nice to go for two nights in March with himself. The G Hotel is coming in very reasonable at 288 E for the 2 nights with breakfast. Plus Galway has good nightlife.

Cant really see anything else.
            Me and you though are SO different of late
            My friend was there in the last two weeks and she said it was nice but not as nice as it should have been, was a bit dirty in places and did not deserve 5 stars. She is in the industry so knows what she is talking about if you know what I mean

Another friend was there Sept 2013 and stayed in a suite and said it was beautiful, so not sure if they slipping a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
              Gf away for two weeks! Shipppppppppp it. Older I get the more it appeals to me NOT being in a relationship, I mean at any point in the future.

No matter how much I like a woman, I find living together quite escrutiating and the general neediness pretty nauseating. I suggested having different bedrooms today, I think that is rational and would only make a relationship stronger, absolute carnage of a reaction.
              Seperate rooms is a bit silly. Who doesn't like snuggling before you go to sleep? Wrong people, that's who. That said, seperate duvets is a big winner for me. It's amazing how much better you sleep without contesting for warmth with another person. Wife seems to think there's something wrong with that but I think she's just annoyed that it makes it harder for her to plonk her cold feet on me while I'm trying to snooze.

As for couples living in 1-bed apartments, this is just impractical in the long term. Firstly it's quite nice to have guests sometimes, and secondly you need somewhere to store the piles of useless stuff you will inevitably accumulate.
              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                Seperate rooms is a bit silly. Who doesn't like snuggling before you go to sleep? Wrong people, that's who. That said, seperate duvets is a big winner for me. It's amazing how much better you sleep without contesting for warmth with another person. Wife seems to think there's something wrong with that but I think she's just annoyed that it makes it harder for her to plonk her cold feet on me while I'm trying to snooze.

As for couples living in 1-bed apartments, this is just impractical in the long term. Firstly it's quite nice to have guests sometimes, and secondly you need somewhere to store the piles of useless stuff you will inevitably accumulate.
                We have a king size bed and a king size plus duvet that comes to just mm above the floor on either side, no problems there.

Totally agree that if you are with the right person then sleeping in seperate rooms is not on, would hate that myself.

Comment

Gf away for two weeks! Shipppppppppp it. Older I get the more it appeals to me NOT being in a relationship, I mean at any point in the future.

No matter how much I like a woman, I find living together quite escrutiating and the general neediness pretty nauseating. I suggested having different bedrooms today, I think that is rational and would only make a relationship stronger, absolute carnage of a reaction.
                  Do you think all woman are needy or are you just going by the ones you have lived with. I dont think that is true tbh as some woman are very independant and it comes down to the indivdual person whether it be male or female as I have known guys who are pretty needy too.

Comment

The life drain cost of dealing with landlords and agents over the course of renting for the rest of your life has been ignored.

Fuck dealing with them and having to move every couple of years in 37 years.
                    I'll be happy if I can make it to the jacks unassisted in 37 years.
                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

As for couples living in 1-bed apartments, this is just impractical in the long term. Firstly it's quite nice to have guests sometimes
                      Yes, as long as they go home at a reasonable hour to allow for snuggles before sleep

and secondly you need somewhere to store the piles of useless stuff you will inevitably accumulate.
                      Stop accumulating stuff, you don't need it, you don't use it and it's just cluttering up your life!

A 1-bed is more than enough for a couple imo, but I understand that people like the idea of more space.
                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Stop accumulating stuff, you don't need it, you don't use it and it's just cluttering up your life!
                        It's impossible. I am pretty ruthless with my piles of stuff, yet they just keep growing.
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

It's impossible. I am pretty ruthless with my piles of stuff, yet they just keep growing.
                          Having children is a good antidote to this. (a) you won't have room for your stuff given the volume of kid stuff you will acquire and (b), the little bastards will trash everything you own anyway.
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Does Dublin have anywhere equivalent to galways McCambridges for sandwiches. like somewhere that has a great quality deli that makes up a sandwich to go that isn't a spar or whatever and isn't a sit down restaurant with a set menu. It's really missing that from what I can see
                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              Planning on buying this year. Saving is easy. But sydney house prices are crazy
                              A 1 or 1.5 bed apartment in Sydney's east is look like $550k (375k euro)
                              Have you considered buying a house in Ireland and renting it out with the intention of moving into it some time in the future if you go home?

Sydney house prices are just ridiculous. $1.5million doesn't buy much of a house within an 45min commute of the CBD. I can't see myself ever buying due to the fear of a property crash here, but it does sicken me quite a lot that I have paid just over $100k in renting in 3 years and have nothing to show for it.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                Does Dublin have anywhere equivalent to galways McCambridges for sandwiches. like somewhere that has a great quality deli that makes up a sandwich to go that isn't a spar or whatever and isn't a sit down restaurant with a set menu. It's really missing that from what I can see
                                Pig & Heifer http://www.pigandheifer.ie/ is definitely up there for great sandwiches.

Munchies is another good chain.

Comment

Pig & Heifer http://www.pigandheifer.ie/ is definitely up there for great sandwiches.

Juniors in Beggar's Bush do a serious sandwich too.

Comment

Brambles Deli. One in Terenure Village and one in Dundrum. No idea where else.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                      Brambles Deli. One in Terenure Village and one in Dundrum. No idea where else.
                                      There's one in jervis, assumed it was Shite. Pig and heifers looks good gonna try that in a bit. Can't see it matching up to McCambridges though..
                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                        Juniors in Beggar's Bush do a serious sandwich too.
                                        Actually The Green Bench by the jackpot do class sandwiches too, try there.

Comment

Pig and heifer has been firmly spoiled for me by having it on the doorstep at work. Poulet bonne femme is obviously the nut sandwich spot. The place near Dame Lane is good too.

Comment

a chicken baguette from the Spar is good enough for ye and don't pretend different.
                                            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                              a chicken baguette from the Spar is good enough for ye and don't pretend different.
                                              It's not fancy I'm after zoddery just good quality deli with fresh ingredients
                                              airport, lol

Comment

It's not fancy I'm after zoddery just good quality deli with fresh ingredients
                                                Are the ingredients in Spar not fresh?
                                                Meh, its a sandwich, they all end up in the same place anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                  Are the ingredients in Spar not fresh?
                                                  Meh, its a sandwich, they all end up in the same place anyway.
                                                  Not really, shit selection shitty quality
                                                  airport, lol

Comment

There's one in jervis, assumed it was Shite.
                                                    It's offensively expensive, and also shite.

Comment

Better. Still not UPC level, but better.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                        It's offensively expensive, and also shite.
                                                        I'm better off making my own, I'll only be let down. For the record best sandwich in the word is molonaris Italian deli north beach San Francisco, worth the price of the plane ticket
                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Yeh, college WiFi. 200x faster than at home. .

Comment

Spars are grand for a sandwich/baguette. They often throw in a packet of crisps and a can for €4.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                              Spars are grand for a sandwich/baguette. They often throw in a packet of crisps and a can for €4.
                                                              I'll open my own and show you. It'll open late most days and probably run at a loss, but the sandwiches will be unreal. There will also be trick options on menu for hipsters, if you order it you get kicked out
                                                              airport, lol

Comment

I'll open my own and show you. It'll open late most days and probably run at a loss, but the sandwiches will be unreal. There will also be trick options on menu for hipsters, if you order it you get kicked out
                                                                Just have a tayto sambo, cant go wrong. It's the hip thing to do these days
                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Get married, have kids, start snoring, start drinking, stay up late and pass wind when waking up.

Your offer will be jumped on.

Comment

Pity wifi speed is still rubbish in comparison, even though it is 3 times faster than it was. Stupid wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                      I'd love to see you try to convince my missus that a studio bedsit or granny flat is somewhere viable to move
                                                                      Join ipb Malta!

Comment

You should have joined the iSnow fast food business idea thing.
                                                                        Anyone know how that's getting on anyway?

Comment

Just have a tayto sambo, cant go wrong. It's the hip thing to do these days
                                                                          No it'll be like pulled gluten free animal you never heard of and kale sandwich or something and when you ask for it all the staff will gather and verbally abuse you in front of everyone.
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                            We have a king size bed and a king size plus duvet that comes to just mm above the floor on either side, no problems there.

Totally agree that if you are with the right person then sleeping in seperate rooms is not on, would hate that myself.
                                                                            Dont think it is anything to do with the "right" person, I just would just like my own sleeping space, doesnt mean or have to that you dont love that person etc. Yeah obv thats ludicrious generalisation from me, but I do think woman are needier in terms of emotional energy. I think we are needy in a different way

Might try tehy gheys tbh.

Comment

Swedish Food Company do a lovely sambo, had the chicken curry on a panini at lunch

Comment

Jaysus he's only out of Sligo a wet fucking week and he's a sandwich connoisseur.

Comment

No it'll be like pulled gluten free animal you never heard of and kale sandwich or something and when you ask for it all the staff will gather and verbally abuse you in front of everyone.
                                                                                  Can I get a Caribou panini on gluten free freshly tossed ground almond toasted sour dough with pickled red cabbage, ballymaloe relish, pecorino cheese, one sixth sundried tomatoes with a slice sun blushed gerkin and a bag of black peppercorn butternut squash crisps please?

Comment

Hahaha the crisps was ny favourite part!
                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                                                      Jaysus he's only out of Sligo a wet fucking week and he's a sandwich connoisseur.
                                                                                      What kind of mortgage you gonna get Dave?
                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Anyone know where I could get some Caribou?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                          hah, that was one of the ones that caught my eye

I believe most of them are just bait to get you in the door though

Comment

hah, that was one of the ones that caught my eye

I believe most of them are just bait to get you in the door though
                                                                                            Most landlords use several agencies, the agencies just leave the ads up wheter they are available or not so yea, completely unreliable.

Comment

Anyone watching Channel 4's catastrophe? ...funny stuff.
                                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                You will be delighted to know I am! and yes I also think its excellent!

we now have something in common!
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Forced to listen to today fm at work, for all his baggage anton savage is >>> that pestilent cunt D'Arcy.
                                                                                                  The 2 lads that follow him, dermot and date, should be put down

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                    Looks good I might..

..oh
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Have you seen Enlightened, I've a feeling you'd like it.
                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Looking for 1 or 2 tickets to the French game if anyone comes across any.

Comment

Re Sambos - Italian Job in pig and heffer is the right job.
                                                                                                          Monster club in munchies, Swedish food co i do enjoy a meatball and falafel sambo.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                            Have you seen Enlightened, I've a feeling you'd like it.
                                                                                                            I possibly might of had if Laura Dern wasnt in it. I hate her.
                                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                              Re Sambos - Italian Job in pig and heffer is the right job.
                                                                                                              Monster club in munchies, Swedish food co i do enjoy a meatball and falafel sambo.
                                                                                                              Problem is most of these places are like sit down with a menu sort of places rather than just a great quality deli
                                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Is there a copy of ex machina floating about? Cant find one

Comment

Problem is most of these places are like sit down with a menu sort of places rather than just a great quality deli
                                                                                                                    I see what your saying but the selection in both Munchies and Pig and heffer is very good and you have to option to make your own. Can always get take away sure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                                                    Enjoyed the Irishmortgageboards.com talk yesterday and have book marked some pages for future reference, cheers lads.

Comment

There is a bird working in the IFSC one who is a complete babe. Added value.

Meant to thank you for that pm by the way but been busy here and not as active online lately, so thank you! All went well.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                      Pig and heifer has been firmly spoiled for me by having it on the doorstep at work. Poulet bonne femme is obviously the nut sandwich spot. The place near Dame Lane is good too.
                                                                                                                      Have you been to Pho Saigon yet? I have found a pho place here in Calgary that is SO delicous that I drink the broth on its own.

Dont think it is anything to do with the "right" person, I just would just like my own sleeping space, doesnt mean or have to that you dont love that person etc. Yeah obv thats ludicrious generalisation from me, but I do think woman are needier in terms of emotional energy. I think we are needy in a different way

Might try tehy gheys tbh.
                                                                                                                      Meh. Sometimes you just want to sleep and not be overheated or breathed on. I am in agreement. Can't imagine ANY female wouldn't flip her shit if it was suggested for two different rooms though. Lol at the audacity.

Spooning is the nut position. Simultaneously able to sleep, breathe, maneuver for heat/boner reasons and rest the ole ponch in the small of her back.
                                                                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                        Have you been to Pho Saigon yet? I have found a pho place here in Calgary that is SO delicous that I drink the broth on its own
                                                                                                                        No! Have been meaning too, meant to pm hotspur actually and see if he was available someday to go and give the guy some business.

Comment

She is very good in it. Plays alongside Diane Ladd as her Mother who is her mother IRL

Give it a spin, its something that is good and that you'll like.
                                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X