This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
    I know there would have been nothing in a place, but a penalty shootout between the sides, seeing as this result (or the one between Cameroon v Ivory Coast) was a probability of needing a drawing of lots, would have been much more preferable seeing as both sides are there and ready to play.
    Yeah I was thinking about that too as if it is 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th like this super rare occurrence the two 2nd places will always be playing each other in that last game so a peno shootout can be used. I guess they never thought ahead though, no shock there.

If both games are 1-1 then lots obv. I reckon they'll change the rule to add in peno shootouts in that rare spot now that it has happened
    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
      In other news. Fernando Torres ftw.
      Another first minute goal.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
        The franchise name leaves something to be desired.
        Fastest growing fast food chain in the states over last 5 years. Must be doing something right.
        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Athletico game shaping up nicely. Two goals & some dirty tackles in opening 15.

Comment

Linesman hits Jordi Alba in the head with flag by mistake.

Jordi Alba dives.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
              Has anyone stayed in The G Hotel in Galway? I am looking for somewhere nice to go for two nights in March with himself. The G Hotel is coming in very reasonable at 288 E for the 2 nights with breakfast. Plus Galway has good nightlife.

Cant really see anything else.
              It's nice ya. Good value food & cocktails in the many lounge rooms also!

Comment

FYP

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                Just buy your family home from your Da in April 2004 at 50% of the then market price. Easy game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                  G is nice but its a good 25min walk into town so taxi's needed.

For walking distance to the pubs - Radisson / Meryick / House Hotel, but G is definitely nicest.
                  You'd be at eyre square 15 minute walk
                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                    Given that this was originally a gambling forum, can't believe nobody's recommended getting involved in some loan-sharking aka P2P lending.

www.linkedfinance.com is an Irish operation to allow you to loan out some of your cash at pretty good rates. Obviously you want to do a bit of reading about who/why you are lending to, and you'll want to spread the cash out a bit too, but some good rates of return already showing (albeit sample size is rubbish, and prevalence of 'lemons' ought to increase as time passes).

Worth some punting for anyone looking at higher risk/yield opportunities.

I don't know if this is standard practice but they take 1.2% per month from the entire loan amount you offer. Fuck Linked Finance imo.
                    Chop the rates they suggest on their site in half at least.
                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                      Were you not about to buy a place in Marino last year (or was that someone else?)
                      Yep, we were sale agreed on a place in Fairview. Just needed too much work in the end, hopefully was a lucky escape.
                      Last edited by ionapaul; 28-01-15, 20:57.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                        I wont be able to walk
                        Her sky-ness
                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                          SatNav walks in zig-zags though

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                            Good reading today.
                            You must have missed the bit where All of Sinn Fein / Water protesters were, quite rightly, tarred with the same brush

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Nice, thats the type of scum you are all trying to banish into rural Ireland from Dublin with your high falutin middle class deposits
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                              Yep, we were sale agreed on a place in Fairview. Just needed to much work in the end, hopefully was a lucky escape.
                              Plenty more fish in the sea hun.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                You must have missed the bit where All of Sinn Fein / Water protesters were, quite rightly, tarred with the same brush

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Nice, thats the type of scum you are all trying to banish into rural Ireland from Dublin with your high falutin middle class deposits
                                Hi Sp.

Comment

Hitch, you should go to a fancy french restaurant and you can skype with the Horseheads in their mid-low range eatery, could be a big move for them. First Horsehead event spanning two cities/countries/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                    Hi Sp.
                                    Hitch, you should go to a fancy french restaurant and you can skype with the Horseheads in their mid-low range eatery, could be a big move for them. First Horsehead event spanning two cities/countries/etc.
                                    3 in a row m8

Comment

Ha, we actually went sale agreed on somewhere in Sandyford and pulled out of that one in the meantime as well! We are obviously property teases/masochists.

Comment

Playing the field obvious, make no apologies. Proptease.

Comment

Hi LSB

I think i just... ooops!
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Playing the field obvious, make no apologies. Proptease.
                                            Propangleshooting

Comment

Hi LSB

I think i just... ooops!
                                              Spit it out m8? I'm in Kildare tonight, meet you in the Dew Drop for a cocktail.

Comment

What did Gabi do at ht?

Comment

Anyone any good Juice recipes to replace breakfast with?

(Yes it is January, yes I did buy a juicer like a mug)
                                                  The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                    What did Gabi do at ht?
                                                    Fistycuffs in the tunnel.

Comment

what juicer ye get, any good?

just fuck loads of veg and something sweet in with it, cant go wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Got this one, pretty sure I saw for a link for it on here last week. Seems to be the business.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00
                                                        The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Then give it to the wife and eat some bacon and eggs like a man.

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                            Then give it to the wife and eat some bacon and eggs like a man.
                                                            On a plate of Steak.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                              Has anyone stayed in The G Hotel in Galway? I am looking for somewhere nice to go for two nights in March with himself. The G Hotel is coming in very reasonable at 288 E for the 2 nights with breakfast. Plus Galway has good nightlife.

Cant really see anything else.
                                                              Wasn't hugely impressed with the place. Certainly not 5 star. A bit shabby IMO. And a bit far away from the centre.

Having said that, I've only stayed in the Raddison and there over the last few years. If I was to choose I'd go for the raddison for value

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                Wasn't hugely impressed with the place. Certainly not 5 star. A bit shabby IMO. And a bit far away from the centre.

Having said that, I've only stayed in the Raddison and there over the last few years. If I was to choose I'd go for the raddison for value
                                                                Me and you though are SO different of late
                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                                  Got this one, pretty sure I saw for a link for it on here last week. Seems to be the business.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00
                                                                  Seems legit

Q: Is it any good for milkshakes?
                                                                  A: Yes. Be careful though as it will bring all the boys to the yard.

Comment

Also welcome back Hitch, thought it would be more like this so good news!

Comment

Helpful spreadsheet from /r/Ireland
                                                                      Shows whats needed for deposits and mortgages
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Finally getting decent broadband installed tomorrow.

I know this is a lot better than some of you in the sticks can get, but I'm within 4 miles of O'Connell Bridge, so I should be getting better and I finally get efibre installed tomorrow. It's no 240m/b UPC, but I can't get that so no point thinking about it. Here is my typical 'best' connection of the last couple of years. It's increased from 3mb and 7mb in the last few years here (since 2006) so progress I guess. It's certainly not terrible at the minute, but I want better of course.

Comment

Comment

I'm streaming atm so its a bit slow

Comment

Ya, ya, ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                                                Anyone any good Juice recipes to replace breakfast with?

(Yes it is January, yes I did buy a juicer like a mug)
                                                                                Check out Jason Vale, the juice master

Comment

Its actually not too bad ping wise tonight, but if someone is on netflix or youtube, it just cant handle it.

This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                    Ya, ya, ya.
                                                                                    Fuxking hate that song

Comment

Always thought mine was pretty decent, doesn't seem to be compared to others. Or maybe Tar and Newbie are just very good. Recent screeners downloaded only took about 6 mins however.
                                                                                      Last edited by Jibzzzz; 29-01-15, 00:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Huybrechts View Post
                                                                                        Fuxking hate that song
                                                                                        Kolo

Kolo Kolo

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                          Its a good Eddie Rockets.
                                                                                          I'm a fan of the simplicity of the menu, burgers are very good and it's a toss up between them & Bunsen for me.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                          There's a really good AMA thread by a franchisee in the BFI forum on 2p2.
                                                                                          Pretty sure the owner plays a little poker, think I remember Max Silver said he played against him in the $10k WSOP Heads Up event.
                                                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

IMO the theory depends on renting being a significantly cheaper option with at least some other advantages which is simply not the case in Ireland. Infact the opposite is true.
                                                                                            Same applies for me here.
                                                                                            I'm basically paying for somebody elses mortgage and then some at the moment. I don't feel any need to own a house for the sake of it, most people in my situation rent. But I'm pretty sure at this point owning is financially the better option.

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                            Let's take it at it's most basic. At the numbers you have quoted above the total cost of that apartment for your prospective buyer is

40,000 (deposit)
                                                                                            + 160,000 (mortgage)
                                                                                            + 155,000 (interest based on payments above)

+ 2,200 (stamp duty)
                                                                                            + 10,000 (associated fees, furniture, etc)
                                                                                            +11,025 (property tax over 35 years)
                                                                                            + 42,000 (management fees estimated at 1,200 per annum, probably a bit low to be fair)

€420,525 will get you 350 months (a little over 29 years) of rent at that rate.
                                                                                            I'm by no means very well versed in investments and mortgages. But the bolded part represents a pretty big flaw in your numbers, imo.

The rent won't stay at €1200 for the next 35 years. Not even close. I understand you are taking 37 years as a lifespan based on current rates. But you can't compare future mortgage payments, with current rent payments.

In 2050, the owner will have paid €420,525, as you said.
                                                                                            If rent increases by 3% per year, by 2050, the renter will have paid €870,655. I think current rate is 4%.

Comment

Who is up for a bet with me, Mali vs Guinea. I'm taking Guinea.

Comment

Hey where is Finkel gone ??

Comment

Rent v Buy?

As an old(ish) bugger my 2 cents worth.

Buy.

Rates too good not to. I had to suffer the high rates when I made most of my paying and now when not paying have low rates which is a bugger but I got in when house prices when good so not so bad.

Best tips I would give is take best offer available which doesnt penalize transfers to other lender. That way you can renegotiate terms each time the offer ends. ( They will want to keep you and if not transfer) Plan for full interest / max repayment and invest difference in savings and if possible use that to reduce amount owing each renegotiation.

Forecasts estimate ~17% growth on equity in next 3 yrs http://www.irishtimes.com/business/e...alue-1.1889640

This more or less will cover the 20% deposit at outset

Obviously choose somewhere you like, area which will not depreciate and doesnt negate savings due to travel/cost of living expenses.

It seems like a lifetime away but all of a sudden you realise you are there and thankful you dont have to do it again!

Disclaimer; copious amounts of vodka have been taken tonight so I do not take take any responsibility for any investments made on the strength of my post or the validity of said post and also the consideration that I am talking shite must be considered

TBH I am putting the effort into this post to stop me playing cash games when drunk

Comment

Independent good gas today. I love how they can be decrying a swathe of couples being locked out of the market because the 3.5 rules but also claim that prices won't drop to any extent. How does that work? Oh yeah - the average price of a house in Dublin being €375k is solely a supply issue, not that a combined €70k PA income can borrow approaching the amount with a mere 8% deposit with AIB.

Dickheads
                                                                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                                                                                      Nowhere. He is now Kim Huybrechts.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                                                                                        Right here Pig :-)

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                          Independent good gas today. I love how they can be decrying a swathe of couples being locked out of the market because the 3.5 rules but also claim that prices won't drop to any extent. How does that work? Oh yeah - the average price of a house in Dublin being €375k is solely a supply issue, not that a combined €70k PA income can borrow approaching the amount with a mere 8% deposit with AIB.

Dickheads
                                                                                                          I like the sentiments. The media still firmly wedded to the 'high house prices = good' argument which is rather pathetic given the events of the last 15 years.

Would love to see the (true) argument that low, stable house prices are a greater good but Irish people are genuinely sick in the head when it comes to property.
                                                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                            Same applies for me here.
                                                                                                            I'm basically paying for somebody elses mortgage and then some at the moment. I don't feel any need to own a house for the sake of it, most people in my situation rent. But I'm pretty sure at this point owning is financially the better option.

I'm by no means very well versed in investments and mortgages. But the bolded part represents a pretty big flaw in your numbers, imo.

The rent won't stay at €1200 for the next 35 years. Not even close. I understand you are taking 37 years as a lifespan based on current rates. But you can't compare future mortgage payments, with current rent payments.

In 2050, the owner will have paid €420,525, as you said.
                                                                                                            If rent increases by 3% per year, by 2050, the renter will have paid €870,655. I think current rate is 4%.
                                                                                                            Well to be fair it was a hypothetical example where a renter would choose to stay in the same place paying over the odds for a 2 bed apartment to show that the number don't stack up. However the mortgage holder is also subject to inflationary raise in mortgage rates, interest payments, property tax, property maintenance, management fee etc etc

I'm not convinced a renter would rent a 2-bed rather than a 1 bed initially.
                                                                                                            I seriously doubt they would stay in the same place for 37 years...but maybe

So your point about rent is valid, but don't forget the likelihood of a mortgage staying at the same level is pretty much zero too. We are still in a period of historically low rates, and while I'd be surprised if we ever got back to the 17-18% of the 80's we are very likely to end up back at 7-8% imo.

That's going to be very painful down the line for people. At the rates in the example given, the interest rate was 4.7% or so. Let's say it's fixed at that for 3 years

At the end of year 3, they will have paid €27,000 off their mortgage, but their loan will still be €152,070.

In the intervening 3 year period, if rates have increased to a modest 6%

Their monthly payment will increase to €892
                                                                                                            Their total amount paid over the duration of the mortgage would be €369,528
                                                                                                            This added to the other costs outlined in the previous example would be €434,753
                                                                                                            + the original example didn't include furniture, fittings appliances (every 5-6 years max) or indeed the simple matter of house insurance (circe €300 a year)

If it were to go to 7.5% that monthly payment would increase to €1,042 a month and the total cost of the mortgage would be €428,664.

_____________________________________________

Anyway, we can all make numbers tell the story we want them to tell. The overall point I was making is that a mortgage commitment needs to be considered holistically. It's not about what you can afford now, or where you want to live now, it should be about a lifeplan that covers the span of the mortgage.

Renting on the other hand gives you flexibility and choice, and if you use the money that would otherwise have gone into a house in a smart way then you can potentially derive as much equity from that as home ownership.

At some point in life that might lead to wanting to own a home in an area that you intend to spend the rest of your life, but home ownership in and of itself shouldn't be the all encompassing goal that it seems to be for people.
                                                                                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                              We must live 30 seconds apart, at least when you step outside your apartment building's front door! Won't be living there once we buy a place though, going to the suburbs...
                                                                                                              Yeah Paul I have seen you a few times alright. The back of Ely there yeah? Are they duplex apartments?

Good luck with the burbs, how far out are you looking? I can't imagine not living so close to town anymore.

Comment

Here's an example of the kind of Hard NO that will vote, and will only ever vote one way...

(though clearly confused!)

This is excellent too

Last edited by Emmet; 29-01-15, 10:12.

Comment

Free 1gb Dropbox space for downloading their new email app

Comment

Irish homeowners find it hard to detach themselves from the concept of their home also being an investment.

Comment

Gf away for two weeks! Shipppppppppp it. Older I get the more it appeals to me NOT being in a relationship, I mean at any point in the future.

No matter how much I like a woman, I find living together quite escrutiating and the general neediness pretty nauseating. I suggested having different bedrooms today, I think that is rational and would only make a relationship stronger, absolute carnage of a reaction.

Comment

Lolz
                                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                          No house, no mortgage, no children, no car. I should probably just retire now with my lack of financial commitments!
                                                                                                                          That's me as well except I am blowing all my money on travel...Well at least I will have the memories in 40 years when I'm living in some shelter without a pension!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X