X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

close to perfection

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I told my team to spend 1 day a week on AI. Hopefully they come up with enough smart ideas to make me look good ( or the AI does ).
      Let me know when you teach it excel. The company I am in seems to be just a collection of spreadsheets with very annoying people controlling admin rights so they have to be invited to meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Let me know when you teach it excel. The company I am in seems to be just a collection of spreadsheets with very annoying people controlling admin rights so they have to be invited to meetings.
        I’ve worked in and interviewed for companies in recent years and the unnecessary reliance on excel/Google sheets never ceases to amaze me.

Comment

I didn't realise we worked in the same place. Stop by my floor for a coffee sometime.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Ever been on a call where somebody says 'if this doesn't work, somebody is going to get fired'.

The reaction to this statement was not quite what this dude intended. Everyone cracked up laughing, having correctly deduced that the person who would get shitcanned was the speaker himself. He looked thoroughly confused that his little motivational speech had not had the intended effect.

Comment

I'm working very closely with a large reinsurance firm and I was quite surprised how much of big Bermudan money stuff is on excel.
              They do seem to see how the wind is blowing though and are firing money at it now.
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I’ve worked in and interviewed for companies in recent years and the unnecessary reliance on excel/Google sheets never ceases to amaze me.

I hear ye lads.

BOSS: Sure why would we invest in a software package or database for that? Mick over here is a genius on the calculator and excel. Did you not see the pivot tables and graphs he has done to revolutionise the business?

**Mick goes on holiday (the beer) and doesn't answer his phone for 3 days**

BOSS: We're fucked lads, how come no one can get me Mick's numbers/data for the meeting?

US: Well that's because it's on Mick's desktop folder and password protected. They are not backed up on the network and he won't share passwords/notes. If he loses or damages his laptop, all of that work is gone forever. Or if he simply forgets the password or leaves the company. We mentioned this before along with numerous advantages to using a proper system. We did a business case with risks and benefits, it's a small investment for peace of mind plus the other improvements....(cut off by the boss mid sentence)

BOSS: Just get Mick on the phone, I'm not spending 5 grand a year when I have a good lad like Mick to do the job.

Rinse/repeat across various companies of micro to SMEs I've come across. So many owners or classic-style entrepreneurs have this insane focus on squeezing every drop out of resources. It's all about keeping costs low and never about benefits, data/knowledge or efficiencies from investments. All ways to grow the business and make more profit. Unless our customers or regulators say we need it, I'm not spending a penny.... Or wait until the competition does something and then ape them so they're not left behind.

They've become very risk-averse balance sheet/excel merchants rather than risk takers with a vision when they started out. Not to mention the conflicts of their strategy/mission statements vs what actually happens IRL.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

There is a lot of soul destroyed people who went in with clear eyes and full hearts determined to modernise these places only to be fought every step and
                  eventually gave up and perpetuate it now.

Also, from experience, there are a lot of middle managment types that their big weekly thing is the XXX Mega Report.xlxs and they are loathe to have that "Big Vital Important Thing" taken off them.
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

There is a lot of soul destroyed people who went in with clear eyes and full hearts determined to modernise these places only to be fought every step and

Also, from experience, there are a lot of middle managment types that their big weekly thing is the XXX Mega Report.xlxs and they are loathe to have that "Big Vital Important Thing" taken off them.
                    100% - the biggest barrier to successfully implementing new technology is internal resistance. I've seen at least 2 $50m+ programs go down the shitter for this very reason.

Comment

Took me about 3 months of approvals to get python in my place. Took a lot of work because I was the first non-developer to get it in the whole global company.

I also had to work around an old dinosaur that felt threatened by this "new" technology.

Comment

Two spots left to make it a round of sixteen for music king

Comment

Obviously I have no understanding of the real world, but all this talk sounds exactly like the things my wife complains about in work. She seems to be the 'Mick' of the operation. She mentioned potentially bringing her laptop on holidays and I told her there's a decent chance it'll end up in the Med if she does. I hear a lot about Microsoft Dynamics, but have no idea what it does.

Comment

So whats the recommended alternative to Excel these days ?

Comment

Internal branding is important too. I once, many years ago, worked on a transformation program called 'Project Ripple'.

Some smartarse nicknamed it Project Cripple.

The first day I heard that, I said 'this thing is dead'. I tactfully refrained from saying 'told you so' when it was binned 6 months later amidst much firings and recrimination.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

One of the first things I did when I joined the company I was in was setup a power bi dashboard that auto populates based on 5 excel sheets and shared it with the c-suite.

Made 5 enemies instantly who no longer get to present their mega report.xlxs weekly to update what I converted essentially into bar charts. Probably saves about 10 hours of tedious meetings a week as people explain why things are taking much longer and costing more than expected.

Not sure If the lesson is to consult people more to make less enemies who are above me or never consult people and hope to make friends higher up again.

Comment

Shop I used to work in part time had the old style till with buttons not connected to the cc machine so 2 inputs needed for most sales. 1 would imagine the Amish community would have more sophisticated systems in place for their shops.

Also we were paying about double the price for our merchant services. You would think it would be a fairly straightforward task to persuade the owner to make a change.....at least a year and a half of "well if you had an EPOS system you would know how many of X you sold, when you sold them, who sold them" "end of day reconciliation would be a cinch" "do much time saved just inputting once" "less mistakes" "Save you €5k a year on CC fees" etc etc etc

Finally 18 months later gets new system with great deal on CC services. Delighted with the new set up.

Any thanks or credit you ask....yeah...SFA

​​​​​Left that gig.

Comment

Excel has many, many uses for most orgs. It shouldn’t be the be all and end all is all.

Comment

LOTS of very smart people in here today.
                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                        AI wanking itself giving the world fake Liam Gallaghers when one of those twats is too many.

Can anyone point me to where it's focusing on solving complex societal problems, and advancing medicine?
                                        Just on this, the reason you hear about AI being used for art and music now, and less pressing matters, is because the barrier is very low to make readily showable progress now.

Art has a high tolerance to failure - if you use mid-journey to make art and 9/10 times you get something good, and 1/10 times it's terrible, then that's great. That's very useful. The same doesn't apply to technology or medicine. In health care especially, the effects will take a long to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Just on this, the reason you hear about AI being used for art and music now, and less pressing matters, is because the barrier is very low to make readily showable progress now.

Art has a high tolerance to failure - if you use mid-journey to make art and 9/10 times you get something good, and 1/10 times it's terrible, then that's great. That's very useful. The same doesn't apply to technology or medicine. In health care especially, the effects will take a long to be seen.
                                          Good point

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                            LOTS of very smart people in here today.
                                            Just got an email from Golf Sidekick about your app and then got a plug for it watching Not A Scratch Golfer as well. Hope it's going well for you.

Comment

Didn't have a cent on so no skin in the game but this deserves a lengthy, lengthy ban imo.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1733975&d=1682019400&type=thumb
                                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Just got an email from Golf Sidekick about your app and then got a plug for it watching Not A Scratch Golfer as well. Hope it's going well for you.
                                                  Ah I genuinely haven’t a breeze what I’m doing, but im
                                                  not doing nothing I guess, that’s a win. Thanks for the welll wishes.
                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Great article about the Murdoch\Succession family (long but engrossing).

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                      close to perfection
                                                      I enjoyed this bit of musical fan fiction

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Given all the AI talk, one of the people in my shared workspace is organising this event titled “Is AI eating or Aiding Design?”

The first two events in the series have been well received so if anyone happens to be in the area it’s free to attend.

Comment

My god, Ghosts at the Abbey was fantastic. Very intense and well worth a visit.

Dinner in M&L (think RD3 recommended?) beforehand hit the spot and a pint in the Flowing Tide made for an enjoyable evening.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                            My god, Ghosts at the Abbey was fantastic. Very intense and well worth a visit.

Dinner in M&L (think RD3 recommended?) beforehand hit the spot and a pint in the Flowing Tide made for an enjoyable evening.
                                                            Spending your winnings like a boss. Nice!

Comment

Ah I genuinely haven’t a breeze what I’m doing, but im
                                                              not doing nothing I guess, that’s a win. Thanks for the welll wishes.
                                                              My goal is get Matty Sidekick on the beer whenever he visits Ireland. Then we'll remove the hat and glasses to find out that he's been Elton John all along.

You're making all the right moves man. Golf season now up and running fully. Big few months ahead for you.

Comment

Good article on today's important space X launch - https://www.economist.com/science-an...-new-space-age

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

My goal is get Matty Sidekick on the beer whenever he visits Ireland. Then we'll remove the hat and glasses to find out that he's been Elton John all along.

You're making all the right moves man. Golf season now up and running fully. Big few months ahead for you.
                                                                  Reached out to the tourism board here today to see if they'll co sponsor getting a bunch of the you tube bucks over for a series on mountain golf. Think it would be a win for everyone involved. Am leaning on the investors to scour their networks for strings to pull.

If I get a chance, I'll get the inside scoop on his eltonness.

Comment

I hear ye lads.

BOSS: Sure why would we invest in a software package or database for that? Mick over here is a genius on the calculator and excel. Did you not see the pivot tables and graphs he has done to revolutionise the business?

**Mick goes on holiday (the beer) and doesn't answer his phone for 3 days**

BOSS: We're fucked lads, how come no one can get me Mick's numbers/data for the meeting?

US: Well that's because it's on Mick's desktop folder and password protected. They are not backed up on the network and he won't share passwords/notes. If he loses or damages his laptop, all of that work is gone forever. Or if he simply forgets the password or leaves the company. We mentioned this before along with numerous advantages to using a proper system. We did a business case with risks and benefits, it's a small investment for peace of mind plus the other improvements....(cut off by the boss mid sentence)

BOSS: Just get Mick on the phone, I'm not spending 5 grand a year when I have a good lad like Mick to do the job.

Rinse/repeat across various companies of micro to SMEs I've come across. So many owners or classic-style entrepreneurs have this insane focus on squeezing every drop out of resources. It's all about keeping costs low and never about benefits, data/knowledge or efficiencies from investments. All ways to grow the business and make more profit. Unless our customers or regulators say we need it, I'm not spending a penny.... Or wait until the competition does something and then ape them so they're not left behind.

They've become very risk-averse balance sheet/excel merchants rather than risk takers with a vision when they started out. Not to mention the conflicts of their strategy/mission statements vs what actually happens IRL.
                                                                    I've a different take on this. This is literally the job. Stay alive long enough to succeed. Capital is your life. Being resourceful is the easiest way to stay alive.
                                                                    It IS all about keeping costs low. Most of the time, the benefits aren't worth it. In your example, Mick is a low cost, acceptable risk for this point of the business, and your boss was probably aware and accepted that risk. shrug.

Comment

Didn't have a cent on so no skin in the game but this deserves a lengthy, lengthy ban imo.

Comment

I've a different take on this. This is literally the job. Stay alive long enough to succeed. Capital is your life. Being resourceful is the easiest way to stay alive.
                                                                        It IS all about keeping costs low. Most of the time, the benefits aren't worth it. In your example, Mick is a low cost, acceptable risk for this point of the business, and your boss was probably aware and accepted that risk. shrug.

I 100% get your take on this and agree fully but mine is a simplified example. The potential value in the €5k here is that you've systemised a key business process and taken the variable of a person out of the equation (which by nature can leave or be unreliable or lose all of the data/work/knowledge). There's obviously 1 time set-up effort but the regular admin and risk are greatly reduced. If the gaffer was even further more ruthless then Mick could be replaced by a cheaper resource. Also is Mick's report/data actually worth more than €420 quid a month? Furthermore, if Mick becomes freed up to do other tasks of value on his backlog, that could be the real win. In a smaller org, Mick likely keeps plugging away and rightly so as it's largely his main function with no further value available. Anyway, that €5k could be everyone's Christmas bonus, would it be wise to punt that on an unproven system ?

First question is always if we can do it ourselves with the resources/skills we have. It's always the correct question to ask. Tbf I'm stereotyping older business people here but the mantra of don't spend money period, is engrained ruthlessly in so many businesses to the point of being detrimental. My mantra (thanks to a previous boss/mentor) is to care for the money in my job as if it was my own and use it as wisely as possible. This does mean re-negotiating deals, and trimming costs but also looking for opportunities to improve any scenario I can influence for my colleagues or employer's success. We all win.

I guess part of this comes from my frustration with working in IT in manufacturing. Where there's an outdated perception of the department/function being like that of an electricity bill. You need to pay for it to keep the lights on. The idea in manufacturing of being innovators and using technology/engineering as your value proposition is often at striking odds with reality. Racing to the bottom and leaning beyond reason so that an investor/PEF has a tidy finance report to sell on their pedigree pony is something I've seen. The numbers may get better but the human cost down the food chain isn't pretty. Not exclusive to manufacturing and now I'm whinging on a bit too much. I'd love to have a punt in a start-up tech role or different sector tbf. Just not in healthcare, pharma or public sector.

Maybe I need to go back to school and do an MBA or business course.

Comment

If the gaffer was even further more ruthless then Mick could be replaced by a cheaper resource.
                                                                          Jesus maybe I like my job!
                                                                          Time to join the Union
                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Got 28 days, which is very lenient imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Jesus maybe I like my job!
                                                                              Time to join the Union
                                                                              Ah Mick don't worry. You're not a good lad, you're a great lad! We got your back buddy.

Comment

Dominic Raab latest Tory casualty. Never really understood how he made it to Deputy PM. A very dim individual IMO

English politics and the UK in general in such a heap

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                                                  Dominic Raab latest Tory casualty. Never really understood how he made it to Deputy PM. A very dim individual IMO

English politics and the UK in general in such a heap
                                                                                  The downside of a one party system for so long. The tallest dwarves eventually take over.

Comment

The Alec Baldwin manslaughter case has been dropped, in a rare manifestation of common sense.

Comment

The Alec Baldwin manslaughter case has been dropped, in a rare manifestation of common sense.
                                                                                      SNL related imo. Pity he cant do a Trump take on the Charges

Comment

Decent argument to be made that Alec Baldwin the actor shouldn't be charged but Alex Baldwin the producer should face some sort of recrimination.

Comment

Just catching up on succession; I watched Logan's speech last night. Absolutely incredible! It made me want to become a hack and go work for news corp digging up dirt on celebs and demonising immigrants.

Speech here (no plot spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xf8xB_KknA

It's as good as Pacino's inches speech.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Decent argument to be made that Alec Baldwin the actor shouldn't be charged but Alex Baldwin the producer should face some sort of recrimination.
                                                                                            So in order to convict the guilty party the innocent have to suffer . I think both Alec Baldwins shpuld fight it out ala Tylerdurten.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

So in order to convict the guilty party the innocent have to suffer . I think both Alec Baldwins shpuld fight it out ala Tylerdurten.
                                                                                              wat

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                Just catching up on succession; I watched Logan's speech last night. Absolutely incredible! It made me want to become a hack and go work for news corp digging up dirt on celebs and demonising immigrants.

Speech here (no plot spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xf8xB_KknA

It's as good as Pacino's inches speech.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Preferred this one :-)

Comment

wat
                                                                                                  Exactly

Comment

Not often you spend a DART ride chatting away casually with a guy who's worth nine figures.

Guess who?

Comment

Not often you spend a DART ride chatting away casually with a guy who's worth nine figures.

Guess who?
                                                                                                      Not often yo go out for a pint a 4.30 and wife tells you to be home by 6 coz we have visitors. Comfortably made it
                                                                                                      Last edited by Dice75; 22-04-23, 03:32.

Comment

Gofundme needed

Comment

Guess who?
                                                                                                          Larry Mullen on his way home to Howth?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Larry Mullen on his way home to Howth?
                                                                                                            Not a member of U2.

Older gentleman.

Comment

Not a member of U2.

Older gentleman.
                                                                                                              Dermot Desmond?
                                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Some amount of window lickers on that toutless site. The usual is tickets cant be transfered till maybe a day or two before a show...people honestly expected not to even pay half now and half when transferred, we both use an element of trust...no, ill pay when you transfer them Sold now anyway after about 26 interactions.
                                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Dermot Desmond?
                                                                                                                  More a man for the chauffeured Bentley. And wouldn't waste his time with peasantry such as ourselves.

I'd say a few on here know this guy. You would have zero clue he was uber-rich to look at him. Not some Secret Millionaire though.

Comment

More a man for the chauffeured Bentley. And wouldn't waste his time with peasantry such as ourselves.

I'd say a few on here know this guy. You would have zero clue he was uber-rich to look at him. Not some Secret Millionaire though.
                                                                                                                    Denis O'brien?

Comment

Barry Humphries RIP

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

FuT9X1QaMAAbCS3?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Comment

He was on the One show a few days after Phillip Schofield 'Came Out' his timing and your woman's reaction ... Class act.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X