This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Teaching a class today and there's an Indian guy in the class. I think to myself, jaysus, he looks exactly like someone I used to know in France. But then I chided myself for generalising the commonality of looks across vast ethnicities. I get talking to him and it turns out he is actually the brother of the guy I knew in France.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Steve Baker's road to Damascus moment is hilarious, the ERG will be reduced to rolling out Mark 'the stupidest man of brexit' Francois to condemn The Windsor Framework

Feels like more effort went into calling it something that the DUP could market than into the actual content.
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
          Steve Baker's road to Damascus moment is hilarious, the ERG will be reduced to rolling out Mark 'the stupidest man of brexit' Francois to condemn The Windsor Framework

Feels like more effort went into calling it something that the DUP could market than into the actual content.
          I mean who could vote against The Windsor Framework.

If they had just called Sunningdale something like The Royal Britannic Agreement, probably the Unionists wouldn't have bothered to read it and thousands of people would still be alive.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Beat: Sure didnt I go and pooch my knee pretty badly playing ball. Its about twice the size of my other one. The scary thing is that I finished the game, no issues running and walked back to car no problem, it blew up over night. I slept quite well too. That makes me think ACL but I don't recall any twist or bang so heres hoping its just a knock and some swelling. Pain is very intense though. Can't walk.

Brag: On the bright side, was able to order some crutches and some ibuprofen from Uber Eats. What a time to be alive.

Vent: One of the lads on my team tested positive for the vid, so if I get that too now with the knee... it'll be the mega dose. Poor dog will be bouncing off the walls. Gonna need to figure a way to get her exercised.

Sure this is it.
            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
              Beat: Sure didnt I go and pooch my knee pretty badly playing ball. Its about twice the size of my other one. The scary thing is that I finished the game, no issues running and walked back to car no problem, it blew up over night. I slept quite well too. That makes me think ACL but I don't recall any twist or bang so heres hoping its just a knock and some swelling. Pain is very intense though. Can't walk.

Brag: On the bright side, was able to order some crutches and some ibuprofen from Uber Eats. What a time to be alive.

Vent: One of the lads on my team tested positive for the vid, so if I get that too now with the knee... it'll be the mega dose. Poor dog will be bouncing off the walls. Gonna need to figure a way to get her exercised.

Sure this is it.
              Surely you have a golf buggy you can get to drive around and attach the dog to for some exercise? Be grand.

Comment

Theresa is now $700k in debt after a hospital visit.
                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                  Theresa is now $700k in debt after a hospital visit.
                  He's back in Canada I believe. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

He's back in Canada I believe. Maybe I'm wrong though.
                    Theresa is now 7 stone overweight after eating poutine.
                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Theresa is now 7 stone overweight after eating poutine.
                      Or he will be after a few months of inactivity. I think 3 meals of poutine a day is mandatory in Canada.

Comment

Or he will be after a few months of inactivity. I think 3 meals of poutine a day is mandatory in Canada.
                        Thankfully they have universal healthcare so.

Comment

Man, I miss poutine.
                          "Italian" Poutine on a cold day was amazing, pretty much beef ragu and chips and cheese.
                          Served with french fries, cheese curds & an in house Bubba’s meat sauce recipe of 30 years. Order online or call us to place your order today.

this was my haunt back then
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Speaking of healthcare currently in A&E and some people standing here for over 9 hours waiting to be seen. Like put seats in FFS

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                              Speaking of healthcare currently in A&E and some people standing here for over 9 hours waiting to be seen. Like put seats in FFS
                              Seats would just incentivize people to stay Dice.
                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Seats would just incentivize people to stay Dice.
                                Its getting to that time now where its turning into a Soap Opera/Horror Movie deal. You could write a book on the clientelle here. Might do a blow by blow guide over next few hours to pass the time.

Client 1 is a late 30s shaven headed Eastern European who arrived in with a few on board to be polite with his Mrs with about 3 different headwounds.. Hiding in the corner wearing the face of her and coming close to going full whack on her his only distraction is he answers to every name under the sun called and proudly marches in to be turfed out again straight away. Fool you once nurse shame on me, fool you 13 times shame on you.

Comment

See if you can sign up some runners for the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp. It'll pass the time.

Comment

Its getting to that time now where its turning into a Soap Opera/Horror Movie deal. You could write a book on the clientelle here. Might do a blow by blow guide over next few hours to pass the time.

Client 1 is a late 30s shaven headed Eastern European who arrived in with a few on board to be polite with his Mrs with about 3 different headwounds.. Hiding in the corner wearing the face of her and coming close to going full whack on her his only distraction is he answers to every name under the sun called and proudly marches in to be turfed out again straight away. Fool you once nurse shame on me, fool you 13 times shame on you.
                                    On a Tue. What is the world coming to.

Comment

Anyone who used to use starstreams/smoothstreams or something similar have any recommendations of an IPTV provider? Primarily for watching sports. Ever since starstreams went down I've been scrambling around and the quality just isn't as good

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        See if you can sign up some runners for the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp. It'll pass the time.
                                        Cool, i'll pass around your bank deets here

Comment

What a brilliant mess of a movie Babylon is. Some unforgettable set piece scenes that are worth the ticket price but the parts can't unfortunately be summed up to make a whole. Couldn't connect with any of the main characters.

3/5
                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                            What a brilliant mess of a movie Babylon is. Some unforgettable set piece scenes that are worth the ticket price but the parts can't unfortunately be summed up to make a whole. Couldn't connect with any of the main characters.

3/5
                                            Loved lots of it but agree it doesn't make a whole. That first hour is incredible though

Comment

Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but Shrinking is a hell of a new show.

Comment

11 hours in, pub crowd slowly arriving

Comment

The tech company Wirecard was embraced by the German élite. But a reporter discovered that behind the façade of innovation were lies and links to Russian intelligence.

Long but excellent read
                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

15 hours waiting, pyjama party time.

Just googled average waiting time for A&E here - 24.5 hours. Ffs.

Pot committed.

Comment

18 hours in, the weak minded and hangover facing pub crew mostly cut their losses and scarpered. Cant cut it in the ruthless world of the A&E

Comment

Ah Shure,
                                                        In sure your body will heal itself
                                                        by the time you're seen.
                                                        Feck off home & stop wasting nurses time.

Edit: What I meant was
                                                        gl buddy, hope it's nothing serious.
                                                        ​​​​​

Comment

not to kick you while you're down but had to bring herself to a&e here last week (all good, we think. very severe alergic reaction to something...they think). We have private health insurance but the a&e is for both.

less than 5 minutes for the first triage nurse to assess and prioritise and seen to within 40 minutes.

For balance I did hear one patient go to the desk and say she had been there almost 2 hours and ask what was happening but generally smooth enough
                                                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

on a different note, I was invited for lunch on Monday with a group of 5 locals, 2 of them are friends of my friend and I was there when they put out the invite so jumped onboard..as you do..

Anybody who has been to Spain knows about the menu del dia, for anyone who doesn't the bare bones are 3 courses + 1 drink + coffee for a set price. Used to be €9.99 or €10,99 but has increased since covid and the energy crisis and so is normally €12.99 or €14.99 now..and may or may not include a drink. In most places you can choose a la carte instead if you want but the value is in the menu del dia obviously.

Anyway, this particular restaurant had no a la carte option for lunch just the menu del dia. I had never been but the guys were raving about it. Key difference is that it's an open bar, so unlimited beer/wine/soft drinks while you're eating. You don't get to choose the beer obviously but I'm pretty sure it was Turia which is a valencian dark beer and is very drinkable.

So we arrived very unspanishlike at 1.30 for a 1.30 booking and were seated immediately as we were the first in (lunch in Spain tends to be between 2-4) shared starters and then you can choose a main and dessert.

Between 6 of us we got
                                                            6 dobles each (400ml beers)

2 platters of cured meats and cheeses with a portion of bread
                                                            2 servings of pate and toast
                                                            2 octopuses or octupi if you prefer the latin nomenclature
                                                            2 servings of potato wedges garnished with herbs and spices
                                                            6 ham croquettes
                                                            6 bite size portions of morcilla (black pudding to you and me)

then for the mains we decided to get two rice dishes between us instead of six individual orders. This is very normal in Spain, if you want arroz. fideua or paella it will almost always have a 2pax minimum for ordering and if not, it's most likely not being made fresh.

Anyway a huge paellera of arroz meloso de marisco (wet rice with seafood king prawn, mussels, shrimp and chickpeas)
                                                            and an equally huge paellera of fideua de pato (dry rice with duck and mushrooms)

We each had a decent sized bowl of both and there was still a liittle left over so that will give you an idea of size.

A dessert and coffee each and finished with a whiskey for the day that was in it.

We were there for about 3 hours all told and the price ended up being €24 a head.

Culoo Culay we ate that day, like cabbages and kings

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                              on a different note, I was invited for lunch on Monday with a group of 5 locals, 2 of them are friends of my friend and I was there when they put out the invite so jumped onboard..as you do..

Anybody who has been to Spain knows about the menu del dia, for anyone who doesn't the bare bones are 3 courses + 1 drink + coffee for a set price. Used to be €9.99 or €10,99 but has increased since covid and the energy crisis and so is normally €12.99 or €14.99 now..and may or may not include a drink. In most places you can choose a la carte instead if you want but the value is in the menu del dia obviously.

Anyway, this particular restaurant had no a la carte option for lunch just the menu del dia. I had never been but the guys were raving about it. Key difference is that it's an open bar, so unlimited beer/wine/soft drinks while you're eating. You don't get to choose the beer obviously but I'm pretty sure it was Turia which is a valencian dark beer and is very drinkable.

So we arrived very unspanishlike at 1.30 for a 1.30 booking and were seated immediately as we were the first in (lunch in Spain tends to be between 2-4) shared starters and then you can choose a main and dessert.

Between 6 of us we got

6 ham croquettes

then for the mains we decided to get two rice dishes between us instead of six individual orders. This is very normal in Spain, if you want arroz. fideua or paella it will almost always have a 2pax minimum for ordering and if not, it's most likely not being made fresh.

Anyway a huge paellera of arroz meloso de marisco (wet rice with seafood king prawn, mussels, shrimp and chickpeas)
                                                              and an equally huge paellera of fideua de pato (dry rice with duck and mushrooms)

We each had a decent sized bowl of both and there was still a liittle left over so that will give you an idea of size.

A dessert and coffee each and finished with a whiskey for the day that was in it.

We were there for about 3 hours all told and the price ended up being €24 a head.

Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you might be able to afford a snackbox in Dublin.

Comment

not to kick you while you're down but had to bring herself to a&e here last week (all good, we think. very severe alergic reaction to something...they think). We have private health insurance but the a&e is for both.

less than 5 minutes for the first triage nurse to assess and prioritise and seen to within 40 minutes.

For balance I did hear one patient go to the desk and say she had been there almost 2 hours and ask what was happening but generally smooth enough
                                                                I had to bring my little boy of 20 months to A&E in Tralee yesterday and was resigned to a Dice like experience but amazingly despite the waiting area being pretty full when we arrived we had the experience you described - triage barely after sitting down, into a special waiting room for kids and I was leaving the car park less than 40 minutes after sitting down in the first waiting room having had him examined and diagnosed by a nice doctor who didn't seem to be completely exhausted.

Like, a million wombats out of ten compared to the experience I was expecting. Presume it was a kiddies express lane situation but still.

Comment

18 hours in, the weak minded and hangover facing pub crew mostly cut their losses and scarpered. Cant cut it in the ruthless world of the A&E
                                                                  What were you in A&E for?

Last time I was in A&E was 2015 I think. I had gallstones, was triaged quickly and straight away seen to by a doctor. Cunts didn't let me leave for 3 days though.

Comment

Last time I was in A&E was 2015 I think. I had gallstones, was triaged quickly and straight away seen to by a doctor. Cunts didn't let me leave for 3 days though.
                                                                    Were? Still here awaiting thr shout of a name that will feel better than sex. Still a good 4 or 5 ahead of me alas

Comment

I was In A&E a couple of years ago . It was an experience. I spent the 1st few hours judging drunks and scumbags and felt somewhat superior to them as I was sober and not abusing people doing their job.
                                                                      12/13 hours in , my inner Fr Jack was rousing from his armchair. The scumbags who were lying about the place had become familiar faces and I had deep 4am conversations with one or two of them .
                                                                      One guy was telling me about the cops beating him up unnecessarily after he stole a car , got nabbed and resisted arrest and had station altercations with them. 12 Hours earlier I’d be throwing my eyes up to the sky but I got invested in his murky world and was rooting for him. What happened next? Tell me more etc. Don’t get me wrong he was a bit of a scumbag but by the end of the A&E journey, I felt like he was my scumbag.

Comment

Between 6 of us we got

6 ham croquettes

We are semi planning our family break away after the success of Lisbon last year and I've been pushing Vanencia.
                                                                        This will only help the cause.
                                                                        Planning AirBnB, what's the local feel on the ground about that option or would a hotel be better?

Comment

Were? Still here awaiting thr shout of a name that will feel better than sex. Still a good 4 or 5 ahead of me alas
                                                                          Ugh, I've been there bud. Hope it's nothing to serious (given the length of time, its not hopefully)
                                                                          You can however, use this time wisely and prep for the Cheltenham Tipping Comp so you never have to use normal A&E like a commoner again

Comment

My A&E stuff isn't too bad I guess. All weekdays and luckily it was quiet.
                                                                            • Concussion from hurling. All done within hour and out the gap. It wasn't a big one thankfully but got triaged very quickly as a head injury.
                                                                            • Broken hand from hurling. A couple of hours to get an x-ray and temp cast applied. Had to head to another hospital the next day for an operation.
                                                                            • Appendix removal. Referred by out of hours GP. Was on a trolley with IV and antibiotics in an hour. Had to stay that evening and night on the same trolley in the corridor of A&E as no beds were available in the wards for surgery. Nurses kept waking me to see that I hadn't deteriorated to a rupture. Transferred to the ward around 9-10am and operation around midday.
                                                                            We regularly see notices on local news website or social media about A&E being emergency only due to volumes. However, the local private hospital now is the HSE minor injury clinic so it's started to take pressure off the main A&E.

Comment

I think I speak for everyone here when I say, Go Fuck Yourself Iago

Comment

Have a family week in Athens at the beginning of next month and the 'things to do' lists are surprisingly unappealing. Surely a tourist country would have a bit more going on.

Comment

Listening to the Mike Duncan History of Rome podcast again.

I thought I'd remember very little from the first run through about 8 years ago, but happily a good few bits and pieces are still familiar.
                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                    I think I speak for everyone here when I say, Go Fuck Yourself Iago
                                                                                    I don't think it even needs saying at this stage.

Hopefully a bull jumps out of a corrida some day soon and gores his cojones. It's the only thing that will stop this torture.

Comment

I don't have a GP, should I rectify this??
                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Listening to the Mike Duncan History of Rome podcast again.

I thought I'd remember very little from the first run through about 8 years ago, but happily a good few bits and pieces are still familiar.
                                                                                        Have you tried the “The Rest is History”? Tom Holland (not Spider-Man) is one of the hosts and one of his areas of expertise is classical history.

I think he’s written a bit on the Roman Empire but he often weaves it into the podcast even if it’s not the primary topic.

Comment

It's surprisingly difficult (in Dublin anyway) and it's not a lot of fun if you leave the search until such time as you actually need one. So it's a not bad idea to get your name down with someone.
                                                                                          If you do get a succession of "sorry, we aren't actually taking on new customers at the moment" replies, it can be worth throwing into the conversation that you are working and don't have a medical card. They love paying customers.

Comment

Do any of the private hospitals (Blackrock, Beacon) have A&Es that you can rock up to and be seen immediately in return for a hefty wad of cash?

Comment

I think it’s worth having, you should ask around because some practices/GPs are especially good.
                                                                                              That said, I have to say we’ve had some recent experience with the two walk in docs near you and they’ve been great.

Comment

You can certainly pay, but wont be seen. I think they even just do A&E by appointment only now as it was so busy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                  You can certainly pay, but wont be seen. I think they even just do A&E by appointment only now as it was so busy.
                                                                                                  "ugh, yes, I'd like to book in for an emergency on July 22nd at 11am" wtf

Comment

[QUOTE=6starpool;n1731717]

Last time I was in A&E was 2015 I think. I had gallstones, was triaged quickly and straight away seen to by a doctor. Cunts didn't let me leave for 3 days though.[/QUOTE]

The gall of them

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                      Have a family week in Athens at the beginning of next month and the 'things to do' lists are surprisingly unappealing. Surely a tourist country would have a bit more going on.
                                                                                                      I remember thinking at the time (a decade or so ago) that The Acropolis Museum was probably the best I'd ever been in. But probably holds limited appeal for young kids.

But you're right, apart from that and the Acropolis itself it was fairly weak on 'must see' stuff.

It was pretty grotty (lots of graffiti, junkies, poverty) back then so I can't imagine it has improved massively.

I'd get out of the city after a couple of days if that's an option.

Comment

One of the top 5 things to do in Athens is 'To get the fuck out of Athens'

The country is a huge place for tourists, Athens not so much.

Comment

Was there for a day last summer. Agree with above.

Comment

You can have mine. Anytime I go it's me going "I think it's X"
                                                                                                            She agrees with me and charges 65 quid!

She did prescribe some lovely drugs once though ...think they were opiates of some kind...had me floating.....a week later I was outside her practice dishevelled and scratching my arms shilling with a paper coffee cup "stordee bud any odds"

Comment

Tickets secured for 1st Aid Kit in August .

Shurrup they are good .

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

We are semi planning our family break away after the success of Lisbon last year and I've been pushing Vanencia.
                                                                                                                This will only help the cause.
                                                                                                                Planning AirBnB, what's the local feel on the ground about that option or would a hotel be better?
                                                                                                                the local government have blocked tourist licences now but anyone who has one gets to keep it unless they sell the apartment. There are the usual rumblings of discontent from the locals about being priced out of certain areas but there’s never any trouble (that I’ve seen) with people who are actually guesting in airbnb’s.

like I posted before when RDIII asked there is a lot to see and do in Valencia and it’s surrounds but be careful with time of year. End of July and August is oppressively hot for example, minimum of 35 a lot of days and a number of days over 40.

this week though it’s been unseasonably cold, as low as -2 overnight and only 7/8 during the day. Even had snow in parts outside the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                  One of the top 5 things to do in Athens is 'To get the fuck out of Athens'

The country is a huge place for tourists, Athens not so much.
                                                                                                                  yea I was there a few years ago. The absolute dirt of the place was pretty surprising, everything looked filthy even the buildings

Comment

the local government have blocked tourist licences now but anyone who has one gets to keep it unless they sell the apartment. There are the usual rumblings of discontent from the locals about being priced out of certain areas but there’s never any trouble (that I’ve seen) with people who are actually guesting in airbnb’s.

like I posted before when RDIII asked there is a lot to see and do in Valencia and it’s surrounds but be careful with time of year. End of July and August is oppressively hot for example, minimum of 35 a lot of days and a number of days over 40.

this week though it’s been unseasonably cold, as low as -2 overnight and only 7/8 during the day. Even had snow in parts outside the city.
                                                                                                                    good to know.
                                                                                                                    it'd probably be around then once the gosen is out of school and all.

Maybe an Easter break might be more our speed.
                                                                                                                    Any area in particular to aim for or avoid?
                                                                                                                    Last edited by DeadParrot; 01-03-23, 17:51.

Comment

I'm not feeling well I think. I'm contemplating playing some live poker one evening, perhaps even an event or two at the Irish Open. I must be coming down with something pretty bad. It's been over a decade since I darkened the door of a poker event/club.

Comment

I'm not feeling well I think. I'm contemplating playing some live poker one evening, perhaps even an event or two at the Irish Open. I must be coming down with something pretty bad. It's been over a decade since I darkened the door of a poker event/club.
                                                                                                                        Ventured out to a few of the festival's over the years.
                                                                                                                        Norwegian and Irish open last year in City West.
                                                                                                                        It was grand, bumped into loads of the old crowd including the great Frankie Hunt.

Couldnt be arsed driving to a venue regularly though or even at all mostly unless it's ridiculously convenient with parking loads of games, very little waiting, proper food available.
                                                                                                                        Like if you told me there would be free entry to a €75 buy in tourney on a Fri night in town I wouldn't be bothered.

Balls, it won't be City West this year though.
                                                                                                                        Ah well.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

good to know.
                                                                                                                          it'd probably be around then once the gosen is out of school and all.

Maybe an Easter break might be more our speed.
                                                                                                                          Any area in particular to aim for or avoid?
                                                                                                                          There’s nowhere every dangerous though las rosas is best avoided. It’s part of Malvarossa which is being gentrified and getting better but there are still some dodgy spots. Tres forques is also a little rundown but generally speaking there are no terrible areas.

staying in russafa, extramurs, el carmen or ciutat vella will have you in the middle of everything but honestly it’s all walkable and the metro system is excellent. You buy a tuin card and it’s only 70c a journey within the city limits..

67C3FD3A-DAC6-4B49-869A-B6085AFE9105.jpeg

anywhere in the yellow is perfectly fine for being able to get around and being safe

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X