This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

IT is worth paying for, if no one pays all we will be left with the is likes of joe.ie scraping twitter and calling it journalism.

The digital edition is good, especially on a tablet and I like to do crosaire when I have time.
    I’d be of that mindset too. Also, a couple of good sources just eliminates lots of flicking through noise. Plenty of good free sources on Substack but again lots of content behind a paywall.

I had the Economist but wasn’t reading enough to justify both it and Foreign Policy so I only kept the latter.
    I have Foreign Affairs too but that’s more essays so I like having that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

I've started my binge of 'The last of us'.
      I've never played the game, but it's like a smarter Walking dead, without the filler.

Hopefully i've timed it so i'm just up to date for the final ep next week.
      I got sucked back in by the third episode which is really good but while I agree it's a much better version of the walking dead I still feel it is a completely tired genre in which TLOU offers nothing that new and I am fairly bored of it and wish I had not gone back to it after discarding it during the first episode.

Star tacked new show from Apple coming next week called Extrapolations (Meryl Streep, Edward Norton, Eiza González, Forest Whitaker, Marion Cotillard, Kit Harington)

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
        One downside of ChatGPT is that it makes smart devices seen dumb. I had a great conversation with it last night about some things, and then twice today was shaking my head at how dumb the Echo speaker beside my bed is when I asked it something.
        Like when you talk to yourself then talk to someone else. They spent so much money on those dumb devices, soon my toaster will have chatgpt and I'll be getting diagnosed by a doctor bot atm that can dispense my prescription.
        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 06-03-23, 13:07.

Comment

Have a subscription to New York Times and Irish Times. Was on the edge about the Irish Times, as don't actually like the newspaper, but you do need some sort of local news and everything is now behind paywalls.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Have a subscription to New York Times and Irish Times. Was on the edge about the Irish Times, as don't actually like the newspaper, but you do need some sort of local news and everything is now behind paywalls.
            I still buy the IT on a Saturday but it's not worth subscribing to imo.

An awful lot of their foreign news is just taken from other sources (often Reuters). I think they probably only have 3\4 foreign correspondents now.
            Likewise a lot of their sports stories just tend to be taken from the Guardian, which you can read for free anyway.

There's a handful of decent columnists. Harry McGee, Cliff Taylor but really nothing too insightful.

That said, it's miles better than the Indo which is pure poop. I have a friend who took an offer to quit a job in the Sunday Times a while back and he reckons newspapers are in a death spiral - the exception being local papers.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In the news thing. Apart from looking at Guardian World News maybe once a week which had news from the different continents, I stick to Google News. Now obviously that links to all manner of different outlets but there's a lot of low grade crap.

I'm not sure if that's my fault based on what I've read before. Clicking on "Top Stories" today (because I works target not see piddling Irish local interest) I still get:

Teen chicken farmer flabbergasted as hen lays Ireland's largest egg - 'I've never seen one so big'

Exclusive: Craig Evans, 16, got the eggcellent surprise when he went out to check on his chickens last Tuesday and said he was left speechless at the discovery.

Comment

Hey tell me this - is t-shirt altering a thing? Like that you go into an alteration shop and they'll make the t-shirt a better fit? Seem to have an awkward fit where small looks like a tanktop and medium looks like a willowy tent. And since you ask - this is the absolutely fabulous t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                  In the news thing. Apart from looking at Guardian World News maybe once a week which had news from the different continents, I stick to Google News. Now obviously that links to all manner of different outlets but there's a lot of low grade crap.

I'm not sure if that's my fault based on what I've read before. Clicking on "Top Stories" today (because I works target not see piddling Irish local interest) I still get:
                  that seems like im-peck-ible news targeting?

Comment

Would anyone like to go to Nate Bargatze in Vicar Street this Friday. Free ticket (just the one). I went on a rampage of entertainment bookings back in January and am now having to take a step back due to overload!

Comment

Hey tell me this - is t-shirt altering a thing? Like that you go into an alteration shop and they'll make the t-shirt a better fit? Seem to have an awkward fit where small looks like a tanktop and medium looks like a willowy tent. And since you ask - this is the absolutely fabulous t-shirt.
                      Yes, it's simple stuff, even with such a prestigious garment.

Comment

that seems like im-peck-ible news targeting?
                        nah, it's just cluckbait imo

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

I've started my binge of 'The last of us'.
                          I've never played the game, but it's like a smarter Walking dead, without the filler.

Hopefully i've timed it so i'm just up to date for the final ep next week.
                          It started strong but has dropped off a cliff
                          annoyed I fell to the hype
                          stopping watching new multi season tv series after the wire and sopranos still the nut tv watching strategy
                          I’ve only broken it a handful of times and it was never worth it (including breaking bad)
                          Last edited by MysteryGuest; 06-03-23, 14:06.
                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I’m just finished S1 of Yellowstone. I thought the premise was very much like that of Succession.
                            watch 1883-thank me later

Comment

I feel you can't edit your way to the clear lovely relationships he has with everyone on the farm team. Like, he's clearly a good pal. Also the way he gives the space within the show for people other than himself to shine.
                              Of course you can edit your way to that
                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

The only thing worth watching at the moment.

I'm stuck now while I wait on the next thing worth watching
                                (new succession)
                                Extraordinary, Poker Face, Last of Us, Mayor Of Kingtown, You Honor, Tulsa King, Andor all good shows.
                                From coming in back next month so S2 as well (LOST clone kinda)
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Interesting blog piece on whether AI will cause unemployment or not: https://pmarca.substack.com/p/why-ai...e-unemployment

Also quite stark to see the effect of regulation.

Comment

Consumer Affairs question: I forked out about €120 to buy a new leather belt from Equus Leather. They usually take about 14 weeks to deliver so wasn't paying much attention but thought I would contact them today to see when they were due to dispatch. I paid via by Visa credit card.
                                    If you click on the link, you can see they've gone el busto and some insolvency practitioner is the contact.

Q: do Visa routinely refund in these cases or is my loot gonzo?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                      Interesting blog piece on whether AI will cause unemployment or not: https://pmarca.substack.com/p/why-ai...e-unemployment

This doesn't seem like a good take. So we are going to wage war on AI to make it illegal. I mean this feels like it is going to end up similar to the drug war. I almost stopped reading after this line

drumbeat of demand for Communist-inspired Universal Basic Income.
                                      “It's easier for most to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.”

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        Consumer Affairs question: I forked out about €120 to buy a new leather belt from Equus Leather. They usually take about 14 weeks to deliver so wasn't paying much attention but thought I would contact them today to see when they were due to dispatch. I paid via by Visa credit card.
                                        If you click on the link, you can see they've gone el busto and some insolvency practitioner is the contact.

Routinely repay is my understanding. It’s why credit cards beat debit cards hands down. A shame to hear they are busto. Last I heard they were doing more biz then they could handle so it seems odd. May have gotten themselves into trouble in an effort to scale.
                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

(new succession)
                                          Physical 100 is an interesting and entertaining watch.
                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Not sure you do. I've actively muted all Irish newspapers on Twitter and don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

I got sucked back in by the third episode which is really good but while I agree it's a much better version of the walking dead I still feel it is a completely tired genre in which TLOU offers nothing that new and I am fairly bored of it and wish I had not gone back to it after discarding it during the first episode.

Star tacked new show from Apple coming next week called Extrapolations (Meryl Streep, Edward Norton, Eiza González, Forest Whitaker, Marion Cotillard, Kit Harington)

I don't really get the hype either. Is it because it was a game? Or just really good astroturfing?

It's a tired genre, would need to be spectacular to be work sticking with and it just isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

This doesn't seem like a good take. So we are going to wage war on AI to make it illegal. I mean this feels like it is going to end up similar to the drug war. I almost stopped reading after this line

“It's easier for most to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.”
                                                He's just saying that some industries are so protected from innovation legally that AI will barely affect them. I don't think this is very far-fetched, the EU is already drafting a regulation on AI use and there's little or no doubt that industries that have less competition are more expensive than those that aren't. I don't see the parallels to the drug war.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

watch 1883-thank me later
                                                  no further seasons will be made though

Comment

That's unfortunate. Seemed like a strong business. External or Brexit hit?

Looks like you got off relatively light:

Do you agree with Equus Leather's TrustScore? Voice your opinion today and hear what 7 customers have already said.

Strange one. I found them very good to deal with.

From December:
                                                    Yeas, sorry! We are running behind - we're very short staffed at the moment. Id say overall the wait time is in the c. 10 week range for belts so it may well be yours is made or nearly so, but drop us an email if you want a more specific update. Sorry for the wait, we're getting through everything as fast as we can, the priority is making things right which makes finding new people when we need them more tha a little challenging. Everyones working hard to catch up though
                                                    ​​​​​​
                                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 06-03-23, 15:28.

Comment

(new succession)
                                                      enjoyed narco saints (tbh i enjoyed all the narco series, but this one is a one off and slightly different), and loved reservation dogs.

we really enjoyed physical 100 but i don't think that's what you're looking for and the controversy in the final leaves a bad taste in the mouth

Comment

Thats class!

Comment

Would anyone like to go to Nate Bargatze in Vicar Street this Friday. Free ticket (just the one). I went on a rampage of entertainment bookings back in January and am now having to take a step back due to overload!

I would yeah, he's one of my favourite comedians.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

enjoyed narco saints (tbh i enjoyed all the narco series, but this one is a one off and slightly different), and loved reservation dogs.

we really enjoyed physical 100 but i don't think that's what you're looking for and the controversy in the final leaves a bad taste in the mouth
                                                            Shit - I loved Physical 100 but didn't hear about any controversy! What was it? I was annoyed the guy who finished 2nd didn't win, thought he was the best competitor of the final five by a long way, particularly after he saw off the skelton champ that everyone was in love with.

Comment

Did a Dragons Den audition yesterday for the app. Good craic.

Was a panel of producers pretending to be the dragons. We got them up and recorded their swings and had a professional respond in quicktime so they could see their tweaks.
                                                              Good banter but apps not really made for TV so not holding out breath.

Kinda wish it was the UK one cos Stephen Bartlett gonna be on it and I'd call him out as I was listneing to his podcast when I nearly died in Idaho.
                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Funny watching people working through their skynet fantasies re AI it’s not even in the top 5 things to worry about in the near to medium term surely- I’d me way more worried about the more biblical stuff- famine, plague, drought , war
                                                                Last edited by MysteryGuest; 06-03-23, 17:18.

Comment

The decline in music concerns me most.

Comment

IT is worth paying for, if no one pays all we will be left with the is likes of joe.ie scraping twitter and calling it journalism.

The digital edition is good, especially on a tablet and I like to do crosaire when I have time.
                                                                    the app is crap- still pay for it as the alternative is the indo but theres articles every other day that make me question my subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Routinely repay is my understanding. It’s why credit cards beat debit cards hands down. A shame to hear they are busto. Last I heard they were doing more biz then they could handle so it seems odd. May have gotten themselves into trouble in an effort to scale.
                                                                      Yeah, it is a pity as their product was excellent. I managed to lose one of their belts when away in the summer and this was to be the replacement. Will report how I get on with the attempted refund.

Might try these fellas instead.

Comment

Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you can order yourself multiple custom leather products. Except for those specialist ones you're thinking of, you filthy animals.

Comment

Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you can order yourself multiple custom leather products. Except for those specialist ones you're thinking of, you filthy animals.
                                                                          If we dont get more entrants it will be a fortnight shopping in LIDL ......actually cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

If we dont get more entrants it will be a fortnight shopping in LIDL ......actually cool.
                                                                            Yeah, where are all the regs?

cough cough nicnic, GAB, shraap, Sp, rounders ionapaul, lao, Sitch etc etc

Comment

Yeah, where are all the regs?

cough cough nicnic, GAB, shraap, Sp, rounders ionapaul, lao, Sitch etc etc
                                                                              Whats this all about?
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The author is a venture capitalist. Most of the things that have decreased in cost are made by slaves - I'd be arguing for more regulation and not less.
                                                                                Also there is already a monopoly on AI technology. Big tech have all the proprietary knowledge and will continue to buy up any competition so I don't see much merit in anything he's saying tbh.
                                                                                He seems to not so subtly suggest we should de-regulate everything which would clearly be a disaster. Lack of good sensible regulation in most if not all of these industries is more of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                  Did a Dragons Den audition yesterday for the app. Good craic.

Was a panel of producers pretending to be the dragons. We got them up and recorded their swings and had a professional respond in quicktime so they could see their tweaks.
                                                                                  Good banter but apps not really made for TV so not holding out breath.

Kinda wish it was the UK one cos Stephen Bartlett gonna be on it and I'd call him out as I was listneing to his podcast when I nearly died in Idaho.
                                                                                  Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                  the app is crap- still pay for it as the alternative is the indo but theres articles every other day that make me question my subscription.
                                                                                  Read the first few words and was thinking that's harsh, before I realised it was a completely different topic

Comment

Love to see this tbh. Where I am there are some headcases (always religion isnt it) protesting everythign and anything to do with Trans education.

The public library here does a "drag story time" where people in drag reads stories and educate kids and their parents on all things drag and trans. I am aware that there is a big distinction between the drag and trans but the point is it is great to educate kids on this stuff. There is zero chance the schools here ever do this formally so this is the next best thing.

Good to see Ireland making this something formal. Hopefully the Enoch Burkes of the world don't start crawling out of the woodwork.
                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Whats this all about?
                                                                                      Its about 50 quid .

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post

The author is a venture capitalist. Most of the things that have decreased in cost are made by slaves - I'd be arguing for more regulation and not less.
                                                                                        Also there is already a monopoly on AI technology. Big tech have all the proprietary knowledge and will continue to buy up any competition so I don't see much merit in anything he's saying tbh.
                                                                                        He seems to not so subtly suggest we should de-regulate everything which would clearly be a disaster. Lack of good sensible regulation in most if not all of these industries is more of a problem.
                                                                                        Does his being a venture capitalist discredit his opinion?

That's quite a claim about slaves! Do you have any evidence to back it up?

And you certainly aren't right about big tech having a monopoly on AI technology. Basically, none of it is proprietary. The most groundbreaking research that has been done has all been released as open source. The most transformative AI technology released recently, transformers is all based on a paper google released (https://research.google/pubs/pub46201/) which is open source. Chatgpt is based on this technology, done by a different company. OpenAI released Dall-E (an image generator), and within a few months, there was an open-source version just as good (stable diffusion).

It's commonly accepted wisdom that in AI, any company can only be six months ahead of another because of the free sharing of information. There's also a huge open-source AI community - huggingface is worth looking into if you want to discover more about it.

Comment

Been watching Yellowjackets a little bit, its ok, I think.

Also watched Shrinking (Hitch reco'd it recently) and I really enjoyed it. Seigals character is great, he plays pretty much the same character he played in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I love that movie so I was all in. Harrison Ford is great in it too.

Been watching Mayor Of Kingstown, fine, but I always kinda ask myself wtf is the premise - chewing gum ish. Tulsa King is also chewing gum ish but Sly... come on, ya gotta love him.

I just got Daniel Kahnemans book Thinking Fast and Slow so my tv time might be down in the future. I've heard mixed reviews, gonna give it a bash.

Comment

Good article here on the difficulty in trying to regulate something that doesn't exist yet - https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-p...elligence-act/

ChatGPT broke the EU plan to regulate AI
                                                                                            Last edited by Hectorjelly; 07-03-23, 02:08.

Comment

Does his being a venture capitalist discredit his opinion?

That's quite a claim about slaves! Do you have any evidence to back it up?

And you certainly aren't right about big tech having a monopoly on AI technology. Basically, none of it is proprietary. The most groundbreaking research that has been done has all been released as open source. The most transformative AI technology released recently, transformers is all based on a paper google released (https://research.google/pubs/pub46201/) which is open source. Chatgpt is based on this technology, done by a different company. OpenAI released Dall-E (an image generator), and within a few months, there was an open-source version just as good (stable diffusion).

It's commonly accepted wisdom that in AI, any company can only be six months ahead of another because of the free sharing of information. There's also a huge open-source AI community - huggingface is worth looking into if you want to discover more about it.

Doesn't discredit his opinion but for me it's a bit of a red flag.

Didn't think I would need to show evidence that most electronics, clothing, etc.. are made by slaves. Factories in China, Indonesia, Cambodia, etc.. paying pennies, with terrible working conditions - that's modern day slavery. Children mining cobalt in Africa. Thought that was as well established as climate change being real at this point.

I should say it is/will be big tech monetising all of AI technology. They are the ones pumping all the money into it, hoarding all the best talent I would say. Anyone that comes along with something better will be bought off. I will admit I'm not an expert in the industry by any means so open to complete correction on this point.

I'll look into huggingface when I get a chance, cheers.

Comment

I just got Daniel Kahnemans book Thinking Fast and Slow so my tv time might be down in the future. I've heard mixed reviews, gonna give it a bash.
                                                                                                Perhaps it hasn’t aged well or something but I thought it was brilliant and that seemed to be consensus a few years ago at least.

l enjoyed the Undoing Project too, that seemed to get into his relationship with Tversky a bit more which was interesting. I didn’t think his more recent release was as good though.

Comment

The weights for the fb model were leaked.

Just shows how weak any lead in the tech is. It's all moving so fast that why lead will be short lived.

it's not like you're TSMC with a huge lead and a high barrier to entry.
                                                                                                  ​​​​
                                                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 07-03-23, 08:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Perhaps it hasn’t aged well or something but I thought it was brilliant and that seemed to be consensus a few years ago at least.

l enjoyed the Undoing Project too, that seemed to get into his relationship with Tversky a bit more which was interesting. I didn’t think his more recent release was as good though.
                                                                                                    Didn't finish his most recent book.

I think there's two main issues (he rolled back some of his claims) and it's been subsumed into everything else, so it doesn't come across as groundbreaking.

It's like watching an old comedy or movie that advanced things. It looks ordinary now but because you're not seeing it in context.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Shit - I loved Physical 100 but didn't hear about any controversy! What was it? I was annoyed the guy who finished 2nd didn't win, thought he was the best competitor of the final five by a long way, particularly after he saw off the skelton champ that everyone was in love with.
                                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                                      Apparently, they ran the final 3 times. they stopped the first one because the crossfitter complained there was a noise coming from his rope spindle, so they stopped it and reoiled both machines. the 2nd one they stopped it as there was a technical sound issue. In both of those, the cyclist was miles ahead of the crossfitter. in the 3rd, it's not really clear whether the machine was stuck for the cyclist or if he was completely gassed from the first 2 attempts, but eventually the crossfitter won, and result stood. if you look at the cyclist's instagram, he's completely distanced himself from the show, and a number of the other athletes have come out saying the real hero is the cyclist, etc.

seems a real shame that a show so many people have enjoyed ends on such a bad note. was still good fun!

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                                        Didn't think I would need to show evidence that most electronics, clothing, etc.. are made by slaves. Factories in China, Indonesia, Cambodia, etc.. paying pennies, with terrible working conditions - that's modern day slavery. Children mining cobalt in Africa. Thought that was as well established as climate change being real at this point.
                                                                                                        Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you can pay your own slaves top dollar.

One Week to go.....

Comment

Anyone watching Survivor season 44?

SPOILER
                                                                                                          I think I always say it, but this may be the dumbest cast of all time.
                                                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Isn't it much the same now? Can do chargebacks with debit card etc.

Comment

These walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them.

Comment

Yeah, it is a pity as their product was excellent. I managed to lose one of their belts when away in the summer and this was to be the replacement. Will report how I get on with the attempted refund.

Might try these fellas instead.
                                                                                                                In a fit of excitement, I just ordered a belt from there. There were far too many choices of buckles and sizes and whatever, but hopefully the quality is top.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                  These walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them.
                                                                                                                  Still going, hopefully on the mend soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Still going, hopefully on the mend soon.
                                                                                                                    Burst for freedom today. A week in an Acute Unit hearing everyone else's stories would put anyones problems into perspective though.

Comment

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadk...11715-Mar2023/
                                                                                                                      ...
                                                                                                                      Good to see Ireland making this something formal. Hopefully the Enoch Burkes of the world don't start crawling out of the woodwork.
                                                                                                                      Several local facebook groups are already spouting shite.
                                                                                                                      Their inability to even had a cursory look at the sources they cite is a little annoying
                                                                                                                      I really should know better but....

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The weights for the fb model were leaked.

Just shows how weak any lead in the tech is. It's all moving so fast that why lead will be short lived.

it's not like you're TSMC with a huge lead and a high barrier to entry.
                                                                                                                        ​​​​
                                                                                                                        Yeah, exactly, nobody knows exactly how AI will end up, but there's a strong opinion that it will all end up as consumer surplus and very few companies will make any real money from it. At the very least it's going to destroy googles profitability.

Comment

Do all you guys need belts to hold up your pants or is it a fashion thing ? Genuine question.
                                                                                                                          rarely wear a belt - my womanly hips keep me trousers up.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X