Theres a current theory doing the rounds that a recent downturn in ChatGPT performance on the GPT-4 'top level' model, where it is increasingly giving half-assed answers, might be due to the model having learned that people tend to do less work in December.
    Maybe, like a lot of us, it just got stupider the more it relied on the internet.

This is an interesting read - FDA Approves First CRISPR Treatment in U.S.

In the latest All in podcast, Friedberg talks about a company which he is invested in which is using this same technology to gene edit plants/food etc. So in theory they should be able to edit stuff to grow in much worse conditions, without as much sunlight, etc. They made a major breakthrough last week in which they were able to make multiple edits and get the expected result. He said it is such a major breakthrough that he is parking all his other investments and is taking over as CEO of this company having not worked as one for over a decade but believes this could be completely transformatory for the world.

Edit - Ohalo (the company Dave Friedberg is now CEO of) looking for approval for a potato edited by CRISPR, one which focuses on higher concentrations of beta carotene – enhancing the overall health and nutrition value of the potato – and another which results in reduced glucose and fructose content in the potato, which will reduce the adverse side effects that lead to significant spoilage during cold storage of potatoes.
      Last edited by Opr; 08-12-23, 23:02.

I'm with Mystery Guest... fuck rugby!
        I was offering up prayers for you last weekend, you didn't have one tonight

This wee lassie from Donegal , just 16 years old has obv been down to the crossroads at midnight

She has an album of blues standards out now, sounds really good even if it doesn't quite feel like the guitar has been through the pawn shop, yet!

Theres a current theory doing the rounds that a recent downturn in ChatGPT performance on the GPT-4 'top level' model, where it is increasingly giving half-assed answers, might be due to the model having learned that people tend to do less work in December.
            I had presumed they had deliberately throttled it to save resources.

Strangely enough I've found 3.5 really good lately. Like it's far more helpful than 4 when it comes to coding. I'd be trying to do an incremental change and it would give the full script back verus 4 giving a tiny subsection.

This wee lassie from Donegal , just 16 years old has obv been down to the crossroads at midnight

She has an album of blues standards out now, sounds really good even if it doesn't quite feel like the guitar has been through the pawn shop, yet!

Ohmyjaysus

Murky shit

Tidy picking. Her delta blues singing style is too cute . Lovely to see.

They were talking about her on the radio yesterday. She has been signed to the label that put out the album since she was 13/14. The label founder came across her youtube channel where she was putting out songs herself at 14 and he signed her straight away.

A buddy of mine is heading off tomorrow to Poland on some Wimhoff retreat where they hang around the snow in their shorts.

Fuck. That.

You wouldn't be long gettin frostbit

The Fund is some read, well worth it.

Dalio is clearly an investing savant but also a deeply weird dude. That's some insane culture he created.

I’m selling racing geese this Christmas. Let me know if you’d like a quick gander

Some dubious characters given space in the Irish Times weekend supplement today.

I’m selling racing geese this Christmas. Let me know if you’d like a quick gander
                              What speed do they get up to
                              need a few for a quick lunch

Some dubious characters given space in the Irish Times weekend supplement today.
                                bus-wanker.gif

Downed a bottle of 2012 Meerlust this evening. Can recommend.

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
                                    Downed a bottle of 2012 Meerlust this evening. Can recommend.
                                    Ooh, I've a 2016 bottle up in the wardrobe. Can't wait.

Always figured I'd open it in 2030.

I know where Dave Fanning lives Just wish he'd say nothing, when he has nothing nice to say though.

Is he just looking to trend on twitter or something, wtf.

Three dead beloved Irish folk this year and he managed to shite all over each of them.

I do have a lot of time for him but FFS

Is he just looking to trend on twitter or something, wtf.

Three dead beloved Irish folk this year and he managed to shite all over each of them.

I do have a lot of time for him but FFS
                                          He hasn't said anything even mildly controversial except for when he said it.

The circle of trust game in e09 of Squid Games is a class variation on WW

A game of pure live tells... might make a good forum game if it was run right.

It's a decent format for a reality show with a lower than normal bullshit to content ratio but you'd have to think it got chopped up at some point in the last few episodes.

Decided to save up and do a proper big holiday as a 'honeymoon' so spent a few days in the Europe after getting married and drank our 2016 bottle on the balcony with a cheese board while the sun set over the lake. Was a top evening.

Fantastic brother. That sounds top drawer.

Have watched that Nick Cave clip about eight times now.

Think I'll be watching it until I'm ninety.

Gonna poo

Sounds romantic,
                                                          to quote my grand aunt
                                                          when encountering newlyweds.
                                                          Anything stirring?

Wonka is quite the triumph. Not just as a kids movie, just as a movie full stop. Beautiful stuff.

I have 2*2016 bottles for Christmas Day.

Sounds romantic,
                                                                to quote my grand aunt
                                                                when encountering newlyweds.
                                                                Anything stirring?
                                                                If you read yesterdays Irish Times, you would know the answer to that.

Ronnie O Sullivan documentary is out, 'The Edge of Everything'. Getting pretty decent reviews.

I enjoyed this much more that I thought I would. It is not a puff piece and really gives a view behind the curtain of Ronnie. I'd nearly forgive him all the moaning he has done over the years. It has some cool stuff too like him being miked up in last years final so you can hear him talking to himself as the match is being played.

Leitrim seem to have had some sort of a tornado!

Few links from reddit here and here.

Leitrim seem to have had some sort of a tornado!

Few links from reddit here and here.
                                                                      Leitrim ? I've heard of it mentioned in folklore , there is actually such a place . The Tornado might tidy the place up a bit.

Was down at that marina last weekend helping friend who had been living on a boat there move in to an apartment.

Oooh la la

I enjoyed this much more that I thought I would. It is not a puff piece and really gives a view behind the curtain of Ronnie. I'd nearly forgive him all the moaning he has done over the years. It has some cool stuff too like him being miked up in last years final so you can hear him talking to himself as the match is being played.
                                                                            Yea it was good. As a close follower of snooker for 30+ years the first hour didn't really tell me anything I didn't know already, but the last half hour was great stuff. I think they should have ditched the footage from earlier in the season that didn't really develop the story, and used more from the Crucible.

I have 2*2016 bottles for Christmas Day.
                                                                              I cracked earlier this year and opened one of my 2013. I had planned to hold them for another year or two. Once I polished off one, the rest didn't last too long afterwards.

Still have half a dozen 14, 15, 16, 17 & 18 tucked away - Haven't seen 2019 in the shops yet for some reason

I was in the pub watching the Leinster game yesterday and we uncovered one great piece of trivia. Obviously in fear of a loss.

When was the last time no Irish team won a game in a European rugby weekend?

Attempts below. Obviously applies to group stages only.

Interesting factoid: "The dishwasher is a more efficient use of energy and water, and gets plates cleaner, than washing by hand, says New Scientist"

Yea it was good. As a close follower of snooker for 30+ years the first hour didn't really tell me anything I didn't know already, but the last half hour was great stuff. I think they should have ditched the footage from earlier in the season that didn't really develop the story, and used more from the Crucible.
                                                                                      I guess it is to aiming to appeal to a wider audience and not just snooker fans as he does transcend the sport. I would be somewhere in between in that I knew the broad strokes of the story before watching's it so enjoyed hearing the details.

I found it crazy how fragile and still in pain it paints him. He found healthier outlets as coping mechanisms beyond the drink/drugs in the running and Steve Peters is obviously very good at giving coping strategies for getting the best out of him as a sportsman, even using the pain as fuel but it doesn't seem like part of his approach is to actually address the underlying issues. I wonder has he ever tried to address his issues with a professional. You would think he must have done but it certainly didn't come across that way in the documentary.

Interesting factoid: "The dishwasher is a more efficient use of energy and water, and gets plates cleaner, than washing by hand, says New Scientist"
                                                                                        Highly dependent on the dishwasher.
                                                                                        Ours seems to add gunk to the plates.

To save someone else the trouble:

I think she's doing it on purpose so I'll help

Two weeks to Xmas.
                                                                                          Had the dreaded "risk" of redundancy call.

About to pre-order what is allegedly the best sandwich in the biz. The 147 Deli Christmas Sandwich. http://147deli.com/ (see the 'order online' option to see the sandwich)

ah ffs dp thats all a bit clark griswald to be doing it over the christmas holidays given the lack of absolute urgency a company that big would be facing. is that donezo do you think or they're dragging a wide net intiially?

Donzo.
                                                                                                Big company. Small contract.
                                                                                                We had another spoke but regulator has pushed it 6+ months meaning my small company can't pay me

I was in the pub watching the Leinster game yesterday and we uncovered one great piece of trivia. Obviously in fear of a loss.

When was the last time no Irish team won a game in a European rugby weekend?

Attempts below. Obviously applies to group stages only.
                                                                                                  December 2012, which is fairly impressive imo

not as impressive as the cacophony of responses to the question

Donzo.
                                                                                                      Big company. Small contract.
                                                                                                      We had another spoke but regulator has pushed it 6+ months meaning my small company can't pay me
                                                                                                      I had a feeling something was coming.
                                                                                                      9 days ago had a meeting where they proposed sending me to market as a service using the company as umbrella. This was for Q1 only while next project got regulated Q2 with time to build architecture.
                                                                                                      It didn't really pass the smell test with me. Email Friday requesting face to face.
                                                                                                      Today had a meeting to say post eom there's nothing in the coffers.
                                                                                                      The annoying thing is even though it didn't pass the smell test, I've spent a few days talking to recruiters saying what I do and don't need with a speil around the new project.

Casting pearls before swine.

Two weeks to Xmas.
                                                                                                          Had the dreaded "risk" of redundancy call.
                                                                                                          Ping me a cv and I'll see what we have in that dept.

We were waiting for MG to get his spake in first.

From tweet :
                                                                                                              From original tweet: Wild result. gpt-4-turbo over the API produces (statistically significant) shorter completions when it "thinks" its December vs. when it thinks its May (as determined by the date in the system prompt).

I took the same exact prompt over the API (a code completion task asking to implement a machine learning task without libraries).

I created two system prompts, one that told the API it was May and another that it was December and then compared the distributions.

For the May system prompt, mean = 4298 For the December system prompt, mean = 4086

N = 477 completions in each sample from May and December

t-test p < 2.28e-07

To reproduce this you can just vary the date number in the system message. Would love to see if this reproduces for others.

Isn't that mad all the same.

Ping me a cv and I'll see what we have in that dept.
                                                                                                                  Cheers man. I'll pm ya for email addy
                                                                                                                  ​​​

About to pre-order what is allegedly the best sandwich in the biz. The 147 Deli Christmas Sandwich. http://147deli.com/ (see the 'order online' option to see the sandwich)
                                                                                                                      Need a TR on this please. Just had the Carved Xmas sandwich which was a beast. Need to find somewhere to lie down.

What is the best route to contacting decision makers (or their teams) in companies like Google? For Google we are looking to start pitching sales to them for our services but I'm finding it borderline impossible to find a suitable contact.

In previous employment we had a couple of 'decision maker' contact addresses on Salesforce but I'm struggling to get beyond an initial POC on their live chat etc.

Similar for Companies like Apple/Yahoo/Amazon...

Find it difficult to believe anyone is backing SF for most seats at 1/10.